Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Temple of Elemental Evil - Delving the depths of the Abyss on Golarian.

Game Master Tirion Jörðhár

The classic AD&D Temple of Elemental Evil - with a Pathfinder and Golarian twist.

Village of Hommlet - with building numbers <-- Legend in Campaign Info


701 to 750 of 3,447 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>

Good grief. I have something to do in the morning and there are 13 posts by the time I get back.

While Arindale tends to Tybek's wounds, which includes convincing Tybek for a time to stick a wad of compress in his mouth, Maegge makes short work of the boar finding a number of excellent cuts. He even manages to snag the pigs feet and tongue figuring that he can sneak that in as an appetizer for Tybek at some point.

Once the group is done and no hordes of goblins have attacked, the group gathers up and continues on its merry way. The trail continues to follow the bottom of a ravine between two hills.

Perception DC12:

As you round a bend, you see across a dried stream what appears to be a cave on the side of the other hill. It is about 100 yards from where you are currently.

Perception DC17:

You see two small greenish humanoids (goblins) sitting next to the front of the cave.

Perception DC21:

The goblins appear to be playing some game on the ground and are not really paying attention to much of anything.


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

Chaos, you say that like it's a bad thing... for shame! :D

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19

As the group comes up over the crest of a hill and looks down into a ravine, Maegge pushes forward to take a look. Seeing a cave with two goblins sitting in front, he quickly gestures with a shoo-ing motion back down the hill out of sight from the cave.

Speaking quietly to hopefully remain unobserved, "There's a cave at the bottom of the ravine, and two goblins are sitting out front."


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3

y'know for someone with a wisdom penalty, Ranim makes alot of perception rolls. And I only planned the one rank so she wouldn't have a penalty to the check.

"I see them. If we want to charge in, I think I know a battle chant."

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20


Hobbit [hp = 19/22; AC14/T14/ff11; F +1; R+3; W+4 CMD 12]

Listening to Ranim's words, Braden guiltily and quickly stops unwrapping his tobacco pouch and puts it and the pipe in his mouth back into his pocket.

After Maegge reports, "In all the stories I read, the heroes, that would be us, make some sort of distraction to get the goblins sentries to come investigate. We then take them out without alerting the rest and sneak inside."

Scratching his beard, Braden thinks for a second.
"My idea is a little more subtle." He points to Tybek. "We have you mumble the single word 'boar' and stumble just into sight of the goblins and collapse spilling part of an obviously full money pouch holding the broken boar spear. You already have the rip in the clothes and healing gore marks, Arindale makes them look worse. That should draw them to you. The spilled money would probably discourage them from getting others to share in this windfall."


Zert looks at you all and shakes his head.

You all talk a lot. Just attack them. They are goblins, not trolls or giants.


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

Maegge shakes his head at Braden.

"It would probably be better to get all of the goblins to come out of the cave. And Gimpy wouldn't do very well in a small place. Have you ever heard of the tragic captain Tuquor? Supposedly he got all his friends killed in a kobold den? Or was my Da making up stories again?"


Hobbit [hp = 19/22; AC14/T14/ff11; F +1; R+3; W+4 CMD 12]

Braden smiles from the back of his dog. "Then we use Zert's frontal attack strategy. Are we ready to ride?" Braden fastens his leather duster tight


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

"Well, we could start shooting them with arrows... we wouldn't want anyone to strain themselves, after all," countered Maegge with a significant glance in Tybek's direction.


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

Goblins are cowards, except in numbers.
If we try to draw all of them out in daytime when they are sleeping, how successful do you think we will be? They will probably hide in their hole while waiting for night time when they have the advantage.
We should kill the guards before they can warn any others. Do we have any magic that can allow us to sneak up on them or stop them from fleeing? Then we could attack them from a distance?
Hmmm, what about sticking the broken spear onto your Elk's Saddle so it looks like it is hurt and have it fall over in the path to draw them out?
If not then as Zert says, we rush them and try to kill as many of them as possible before they can rouse the rest of them.


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3

How far away are we?

"If I can get close enough, I can attempt to induce a magical sleep into them. Though it's not guaranteed to work. It will also expend the majority of my remaining magical skills."

Down to 1 first level spell slot.


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

100 yards away


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Braden wrote:
""My idea is a little more subtle." He points to Tybek. "We have you mumble the single word 'boar' and stumble just into sight of the goblins and collapse spilling part of an obviously full money pouch holding the broken boar spear. You already have the rip in the clothes and healing gore marks, Arindale makes them look worse. That should draw them to you. The spilled money would probably discourage them from getting others to share in this windfall."

"Oi nae sure Oi loik an idea that uses me as bait! Look wha happened when the boar saw mae gud looks! Let's try and find a plan that let's me use mae sneakin. Yae ken, somethin where Oi can take them doon ane at a time!"

Maegge wrote:
"Well, we could start shooting them with arrows... we wouldn't want anyone to strain themselves, after all,"

"Hey?! What makes yae think Oi'm straining?! Oi havenae complained mair than three times in the last hour! The only thing that is going tae be strainin aroound here are those goblin skulls when Oi run mae axe through their thick heads."


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)
Ranim wrote:
"If I can get close enough, I can attempt to induce a magical sleep into them. Though it's not guaranteed to work. It will also expend the majority of my remaining magical skills."

"Aye puttin a bunch tae sleep wid be a big help, mae Lass! If yae did that, then Oi'm really tempted tae go straight in and start cleavin some sleepy gobbie heads! How close dae yae need tae get tae dae that?"


Profile not in use

Glorfin finds the overwrought planning of the assault somewhat tiresome... but the discussion itself does illuminate some of the thoughts of those he walks with. Putting his warhammer back at his belt and gripping one of his smaller throwing hammers he puts in his thoughts on the debate.

"Why is there any need for overwrought deception? I would counsel that we approach in force. Get to a position where those with bows may strike and seek to kill them with a single volley."

To Ranim he adds "Do not empty your abilities on such feeble foes. We may yet need your skill in a time more dire."


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

Arindale looks around, I don't think anyone has a bow Glorf...


I am here, just waiting for a plan.

Perception DC19:

While you are discussing your plan, one of the goblins looks your way for a moment and then returns to looking at the ground between him and the other goblin.


Profile not in use

"Braden has a crossbow, Maegge a sling and you a javelin... those should suffice... with any luck we will be able to draw close enough for measures more crude at any rate."

Are we really going to try an elaborate bait and lure ruse for two goblins? or can we get to the charging and killing?


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Glorfin wrote:
"Why is there any need for overwrought deception? I would counsel that we approach in force. Get to a position where those with bows may strike and seek to kill them with a single volley."

"Aye , that sounds loik a gud plan! Put me richt near the front and Oi'll tak care o the first wee gobbie tae come oot!"

"Follow me, but nae tae close!" Tybek draws his axe and begins sneaking up toward the entrance of the cave.

Take a 10 on stealth.

Stealth 1d20+6 -> (10) + 6 = 16


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3

"I will avoid calling undue attention by singing." Having not a bow or other such weapon, Ranim yet stays with the ranged group, also not in possession of great skill at stealth.


Ok - so, everyone is staying back except for Tybek who is going to attempt to sneak up on the cave and wait to for anyone to come out?

@ Ranim - if you have ranks, you can use dance as well for Inspire Courage as long as everyone can see you.


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3

True, but I was worried that might be almost as bad as singing for the drawing of attention to us.


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

Start before we fire...we will just delay in the surprise round until after you if we get one so it won't make any difference...Arindale will also cast Guidance on all of the missle weapon wielding folks before we sneak over.


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3

As long as everyone else is okay with it, all righty.


Hobbit [hp = 19/22; AC14/T14/ff11; F +1; R+3; W+4 CMD 12]

Braden chimes in, "I am indeed competent with the crossbow. I felt until my magic gets stronger, it would be folly to avoid solid mundane tools."

Braden removes his light crossbow, loads it, and leads his dog staying sixty feet behind Tybek. He is also competent at being stealthy as all hobbits.

Taking 10 on stealth 10+7=17 stealth

I still liked my plan better.


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

Chaos, is there a map of the cave entrance to see if there is any place to hide and/or goblin guards nearby.

Tybek waves to the others as he moves up, indicating that they can come a bit closer, but just do it quietly.


Sorry, need to get the map together. Will try to do it tomorrow morning.


Ok, here is the map. Let me know where you are and what you do. Also, give me stealth rolls and perception checks.

Goblin Entrance

Everything is difficult terrain except for the path.


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3

Assuming we're moving closer to get in range, K6 or K7 for me.

Stealth: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22


Profile not in use

Knowing that stealth is not a suit to which he is well tailored, Glorfin hangs well back where his stout frame will not hinder.

Staying clear of any need for stealth... with my whopping -7 penalty and all.
If that means I start further back, then so be it.
Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3

Just use dwarven stealth, cover your footfalls by a loud battlecry.


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

Maybe we should construct a large wooden badger?

stealth 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (4) - 3 = 1
perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6 lol


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

Surprise Round

Tybek gives the signal to shoot and like a bearded jungle cat, Tybek moves to B10 and slashes the goblin (B10) down like clockwork.

Stealth 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Battleaxe 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Damage 1d8 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 4 + (1) = 12

He now stands ready to take the other down should it try to flee.


Hobbit [hp = 19/22; AC14/T14/ff11; F +1; R+3; W+4 CMD 12]

O6 on the path, hugging the left side to maximize concealment.
Stealth/Perception1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 81d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22


Badgers?, we don't need no stink'n badgers.

DM Rolls:

1d20 ⇒ 15

Despite his best attempts, Tybek makes some noise while moving through the woods, but this is nothing compared to the shout that Arindale lets out when he slips on a loose rock next to the trail and bangs his knee. The goblins quickly come alert and stand up.

One of them sees some of you and calls out:

Goblin:

Who there? This Flameskull tribe land. We pay Temple.

Tybek, you can keep your rolls. They heard you coming, so you would not get the surprise round attack. If you want to change your tactics or respond to the goblin, that is fine.

The other goblin turns and peers into the brush where Tybek was making noise.

Zert growl: The goblins need to die and moves forward.

Ranim and Braden:

It looks like they were playing some type of game using bones from some small creature, probably a rabbit, and a few stones.


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

Tybek is not about to have a cup of tea with them! There is no change in tactics. Ready or not, here he comes! He moves in and strikes the closest goblin!


Initiative:

Arindale: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Braden: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Glorfin: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0
Maegge: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Ramin: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Tybek: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Goblins: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Round 1

Maegge
Ramin
Arindale
Braden
Goblins
Tybek
Glorfin

Sorry for the delay. Post Actions. Tybek already has stated his intent.
I must say, between Tybek and Glorfin, you picked the two slowest reacting dwarves in the land. Have either of you been before the enemy in a single combat yet?


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3

Round 1

Stats:

HP: 9/9
Bardic Music: 6/8
Spells
1st - 1/2
Effects
Inspire Courage

From Arindale's recommendation, Ranim begins her performance, coming out from her stealth. Some far off voice told her it was a bad idea to draw so much attention this way, but as often she ignored this voice. She begins to move, inspiring her compatriots on in battle.

Standard to Inspire Courage, Move to move closer.


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

Arindale uses his gift of speed from Cayden yet again allowing him to move up. Agile feet to H6 and throws a Javelin.
javelin atk guidance inspire 1 increment1d20 + 1 + 1 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 1 + 1 + 1 - 2 = 17 dam 1d6 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 3 + 1 = 6

The Javelin lands into the Goblins torso with a satisfying thunk...


Hobbit [hp = 19/22; AC14/T14/ff11; F +1; R+3; W+4 CMD 12]

Move O6-L9 std shoot light crossbow. Target, same goblin as Arindale if he is still up. Other goblin if first one goes down.
Braden sees if Arindale's javelin does the job, for he wants to make sure at least one goes down.
To hit/damage1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 4 + 1 = 221d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Not bad for a wizard.


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

Seeing Tybek launch forward, the ashamedly-unprepared-for-sort-of-his-battle-plan Maegge digs his sling and a bullet out of his belt pouch and starts twirling the leather cord before letting go at the goblin further away from Tybek.

Move action: draw sling
Standard Action: ranged attack goblin in A13

Sling attack, 70': 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 4 - 2 = 20
Sling damage: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 +1 if applying Inspire Courage since I technically act before Ranim


Round 1 Recap - goblins dead

As the incredibly noisy Tybek breaks branches and knocks over rocks while charging at the goblins, the noncombatants of the group pull out their weapons and launch a rather surprising volley. A small stone from Maegge strikes one goblin, a second later Arindale's javelin appears sticking out of the other goblin's chest. Just after that, Braden's bolt hits the first goblin just above where the sling stone hit. The first goblin looks rather surprised and simply collapses to the ground while the second seeks to pull the javelin from its chest, the effort of which causes it to collapses to the ground bleeding out.

Due to some rather high rolls, you have managed to avoid combat and keep your friendly dwarf from alerting the entire neighborhood.

As Tybek comes crashing out of the scrub, he finds his two targets lying on the ground, both bleeding from a variety of holes caused by his companions weapons. On the ground between the goblins are a number of small animal bones which appear to have been being used for some type of a game.


Profile not in use

As the first shots of battle sing out, Glorfin strides forward to find the battle over afore he had cause to act. Grunting an acknowledgement of praise he states "An action well taken... and as I thought there was little need of deception."

Swapping out his throwing hammer for a longer and heavier warhammer once more Glorfin lumbers to where the goblins lie dead - listening at the mouth of the cave for any sign of the denizens within...
Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

Seeing the fight over before it had even really begun, Maegge gives Gimpy a pat to move closer to the two Dwarfs and the cave mouth.

Wondering if Glorfin is seeing anything, he takes a peek inside as well,

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

Well, let's go inside and finish them while they are sleeping. he then casts light on his shield and guidance again just as they move into the cave....


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

Tybek calls the others over to join him and then chastises them in a loud whisper once they arrive. "Aye it was an action well done, but how dae yae expect me tae stay in practice if yae kill all the gobbies b'fore I even get tae them?! "

Arindale wrote:
"Well, let's go inside and finish them while they are sleeping."

"Aye, hold horses, yer mule, or whatever yae got! We'll gae inside in just a minute! But first o' all, it's richt dark inside and Oi'm wonderin if yae wee folk need tae light up torches b'fore we enter? If yae cannae see, I dannae want yae mistaken me fer a wee gobbie!"

Once the others are ready, Tybek will look within the cave without a torch or lantern, relying strictly on his darkvision to see what lies within. If he does not see any traps or warning devices, he will then creep into the cave as silently as possible.

Perception* 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Stealth 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

*Tybek's perception is +6 for traps and +7 for traps hidden in Stonework.


The goblin cave is quite quiet, even Maegge with his exceptional ears does not hear much from within the cave.

The cave is not that high, so while the halflings can easily walk in, the dwarves are almost hitting their heads and the taller folk will need to stoop. Consider this to be difficult terrain for anyone over 5' tall.

Knowledge(dungeoneering) DC15:

Although they have very good sight and can operate fine in daylight, goblins are known to be more nocturnal.

Looking into the cave, it is clearly a natural cave. You can see about 15' before it turns to the right. The height varies getting as low as about 4' right before the turn and rarely being more than 5' at any point that you can see.


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

Knowledge, Dungeoneering 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Tybek waves at the others impatiently trying to get them to keep up with him.

"Watch yer head! Yae dannae wannae bump it and get yer rocks rollin aroond inside!" The Dwarven rogue whispers to whoever follows him.

I hate to ask, but is there a map by any chance, Chaos?


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3

"Going to be hard to maneuvar in there." Ranim whispers staring inside from near the back.

Knowledge (Dungeoneering): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Hobbit [hp = 19/22; AC14/T14/ff11; F +1; R+3; W+4 CMD 12]

Kn:Dungeoneering 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

After the goblins fall, Braden smiles and whispers, "Well done everyone. I don't think we gave them time for alarm."

Maybe bold moves will carry the day. I may be overthinking adventuring. With a root word like adventure, maybe it is one of those heart versus mind vocations.

701 to 750 of 3,447 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Temple of Elemental Evil - The black heart of natural catastrophe. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.