Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Temple of Elemental Evil - Delving the depths of the Abyss on Golarian.

Game Master Tirion Jörðhár

The classic AD&D Temple of Elemental Evil - with a Pathfinder and Golarian twist.

Village of Hommlet - with building numbers <-- Legend in Campaign Info


451 to 500 of 3,447 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

What is your name lass? he says trying to lay on the charm, If Ranim has our room, then I have the pitcher of the local ale. We are a bit strapped for gold at the moment, but soon we will be rich men, you mark my words!
He says with confidence...

diplomacy 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Seeing Glorfin later, Glorf! How was your tour through town, come, join us, there is a mug of good ale with your name on it! holding one up...


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3

Ranim thanks the merchant for the information and returns to the groups table to order dinner before getting ready to perform. When the others return, she will share what she learned from the merchants. "It would appear that the bandit attacks have some form of selection in their targets. I was speaking with the merchant over there, and while they do see the bandits on their trips, they are not attacked on their trips. It's a curious observation.

"They have also noticed the strange weather that has been happening lately."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After taking a meal, Ranim will head to her room to change into her outfit to perform for the Inn for the evening. She decideds to intersperse some dancing amid the her songs this time, better used when having another to play an instrutment or sing, but often enough the crowd will not mind.

Aside from the usual songs, she had already decided to include a few songs for the guards. She attempts to recall a few songs from the area Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6 but fails to come up with any.

In the end she chooses a standard assortment before heading out to perform.

Perform (Song): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Perform (Dance): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Food bill:

Simple Dinner 8 wolves
Local Wine 3 wolves
3 Ales for the merchant/guards 9 wolves
TOTAL: 2 sails


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

DM Chaso/NPC Jaroo:

Knowledge (Local, untrained): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Knowledge (History, untrained): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Speaking hesitantly as if unsure of how much was true or false,"A long time ago there was a time when the weather was very strange and then there were monsters that took a huge army to fight and mostly died but then the weather was normal again."

Spurred by Jaroo's question, he asked, "You don't think my dream and the weather and that old war are all bound together, do you?"

I'm not sure that's a question I want to know the answer to...


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

@ Ranim, Did you ask them where they saw these bandits watching them? That would be a place to start...

Arindale orders a plain dinner after some time. Total spend 2gp, 3 sp..

We need to sell some of the stuff we have found. Those bows are probably worth a bit, the Goblins weapons not so much...I am almost broke! Let's find that out next...after we locate the bandits.


Maegge:

Jaroo listens to your answer and then pauses in thought again. After a minute or so, he goes back to weeding, but you can tell that he is still thinking. Finally after another five or ten minutes, he stands and looks over at you.

It is troubling that what happened here all those many years ago is all but forgotten even a few days travel from Hommlet.

He pauses to think again. After another period of silence: Those who fail to learn from their past, frequently are doomed to repeat it.

Hundreds of years ago this was a busy trade route. Many of the goods from Casmaran in the east passed through Hommlet on their way to other parts of the Taldor empire. North to Galt and even distant Mendev. West to Andoran and Druma. To the elves and dwarves in their forest and mountain homes.

When Taldor became corrupt and weak, the other lands broke away and declared freedom. First Cheliax and later Galt, Andoran and the other nations. Then the priests of Aroden moved the center of worship to Cheliax leaving Taldor as but a shell of its former greatness. Lacking the taxes and commerce that once passed through the center of the greatest empire in recent history, the Taldor Horse and other military forces slowly had to pull back and cede the control of remote parts of the nation. These hills were one of those section which became lightly patrolled.

If it was only corruption in Oppara, then perhaps all would have been well. But, then the unthinkable happened. Aroden died and with him all the prophesies. In the chaos created by the void of law and good, many evil cults and creatures sought to gain power. And this was a prime target for them. Close to the merchant capital of Yanmass, with east access to the Inner Sea, while at the same time protected by the Fog Peaks and the lack of any military power to the east and with Galt to the north a complete chaotic mess.

I do not know what power it was that sought to gain a foothold here. But if I had to guess, it had some type of demonic ties and used the destructive powers of the elements to do its bidding. Violent storms, drought, wild fires, earthquakes, heat waves in the winter and snow in the summer. Even a volcano in the Fog Peaks. This was before my time, but many elder druids in the Verduran, especially those with elven blood, recall this time. This power grew and established bases throughout these hills. While I do not know its exact location, I believe that a great temple as black as night was built nearer to the Fog Peaks. And from this temple and its servants did these weather anomalies spread.

For nearly twenty years the heavens rained fire and the earth itself became the enemy. Eventually, the druids, although not generally interested in the politics of these lands, decided that this corruption of nature must be stopped. Secret meetings were held with representative of Iomedae, the elves and the dwarves of the Five Kings Mountains. Together a force was created. Not a huge army as rumors might claim, but an army nonetheless. Paladins of Ioemdae fought next to druids who fought next to dwarven axemen and elvish archers and mages. Together this force stopped the power of the evil elements.

Jaroo stops and then makes some gestures with his hands and you see a mug sitting on a rock near him fill with clear crisp water which he takes a drink of. Noticing you watching him he smiles. Your friends are probably wondering why Hommlet is green and the rest of the land hereabouts is not. Well, there is only so much an old man can do.

The serious look then reappears on his face.
I do not know what was done to stop the force of elemental evil. I believe that it was kept secret in the hope that no evil minded persons, or monsters, would find it and again unleash it on this land. Sadly, I believe someone has found this temple, where ever it is. And they are seeking again to bring the terror of natural destruction upon this land. While I have not had dreams such as yours, I have seen and felt the disruptions in the natural order of nature. The earthquakes, the rumblings of the mountains to the north, the drought, the heat, the late summer snow, the violent storms and so forth.

As we discussed when we started this conversation, nature appears to have chosen you, not the other way around. You have a magnificent elk as a companion, something that I know of no other druids to have. And now you have these strange dreams of elemental violence.

I told your friend, the dwarf with the celestial blue eyes, that I cannot tell you what to do, and this is true. There are bandits all around. If they make any type of an attack on Hommlet, then we unite and destroy them. This may be a small village, but among its people, there are many skilled with the blade, the arcane and the divine. We do not allow our people to be harmed. Thus, the bandits tend to avoid the town, but that does not stop them from harassing and attacking caravans on their way to and from town.

If you wish to find the bandits, you really have two choices. Wander the roads outside of town and see if you can find the tracks back to their hideouts, or see if they just attack you. Or, listen to the villagers and the merchants. I have no doubt that some in this town know who and where the bandits are. And the merchants know where they have seen bandits. If you all have the skills to defeat some bandits, then I am sure you also have the ability to find where the bandits are.

Jaroo again stops and takes a drink of his water. All that I ask you is that as with the language of nature which you understand, be very careful of whom you repeat the story I have told you. Some of your friends seem to have all the tact of a diseased hyena when it comes to subtlety. If they repeat what you wish to do to the wrong people, you might find you have some very powerful enemies, both inside and outside of Hommlet.

With that Jaroo takes out a pair of shears and begins to carefully trim the dead leaves from the plants to assure that the plants are as healthy as possible.


__________________
@ Tybek - The lass continues to simply frown at your comments. Apparently deciding that it is wiser to simply not respond.

__________________
@ Arindale - The girl smiles at you: I am Eelin. She brings you the pitcher of Ale and it is actually quite good.

__________________
@Ranim - You can tell that your voice is nowhere near as clear as it usually is and the response from the audience is rather muted. Your dance receives a fair amount of applause, not what you have received in the past, but you know that the several days on the road has left you rather sore and this was not your best performance by any means. Also, despite your best attempts, you cannot recall a single song, or even story about this area of Taldor, so you are unable to give either your songs or dance any local flair. - I assume you wait until evening to perform when there should be more people in the Inn.

Ranim:

While talking with the merchant and his guards, they are very appreciative of the ale you bought for them. You learned that the bandits they have seen on more than one occasion are usually not more than 4-5 hours outside of Hommlet on the road to Yanmass, the same road you and your companions travelled not more than a few hours earlier.

__________________
@ Glorfin - As you return to the Inn you find Ranim schmoozing with a merchant and his guards. Tybek is trying to talk Braden into becoming a raging drunk and Arindale is working on his mug of ale, drinking it slowly and enjoying the local wheat flavor. Maegge is nowhere to be seen.

__________________
@ Everyone
About an hour after you all arrive, Glorfin walks in looking much calmer than before, but still clearly pondering something. About 30 minutes later Maegge also returns looking even dirtier than before with a fair amount of dirt wiped on his shirt and pants.

Maegge - you can stable Gimpy in the back.
Braden - Ostler does not allow dogs in the Inn, but there is a small fenced area behind the Inn where you can put your puppy.
If you get any room other than the beds in the common area, there is no charge for keeping your animal over night in the stables.

Let me know what else you want to do, otherwise I will start to have more people arrive in the Inn later today.


Profile not in use

Glorfin raises hand to Arindale by way of greeting, but defers the offer of drink "I'd not over drain your purse good man, but the offer is noted." and instead he lays out his hammers and gauntlets, pulling a rag from his bag to use as polish cloth.

Glorfin is killing time until the inn fills up


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14
GM Chaos wrote:
About an hour after you all arrive, Glorfin walks in looking much calmer than before, but still clearly pondering something. About 30 minutes later Maegge also returns looking even dirtier than before with a fair amount of dirt wiped on his shirt and pants.
Maegge Weissam wrote:

Walking into the Welcome Wench after bidding Gimpy stay outside in front for the moment, Maegge heads to the bar and orders an ale - just as promished to Tybek.

When the bartender places the seemingly gigantic mug in front of him, he blurts, "It comes in pints?"

Sitting down with the others, Maegge takes a few gulps of ale from the seemingly enormous mug of ale in his hands.

"Huh, looks like I forgot to wash up," he observed aloud. Looking around the table and spying Braden's meal, he looked up for the serving girl.

"Eelin," he called, after overhearing Arindale address her as such, "Is there a place I can wash up at?" With a gesture at Braden, he continued, "In the meantime, I'll have what he's having, please."

Seeing Glorfin sitting by himself against the wall polishing his armor, Maegge resolved to have a private conversation with that taciturn dwarf later. Dinner came first, after all.

Elaborate Dinner - 2gp, Ale - 4sp: deducted from coin purse.


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14
DM Chaos wrote:
Maegge - make sure you do not miss the spoiler at the top of my last post - it took way too long to type it.

I saw it; it's why I stated his desire for a private discussion with Glorfin.


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)
Eelin wrote:
"I am Eelin."

Once the serving wench returns to the kitchen Tybek jabs Arindale with his elbow and says,

"Aye, watch oot, Arin. Oi've seen that look b'fore. Oi think she loiks yae! This is gud, specially since Oi don't think Oi'm makin a gud first impression. Listen, mae friend. We can dae the gud priest, bad dwarf routine! Oi'll work on gettin us the price we need tae drink a lot, and yae work on keepin her happy!"


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

True, the ladies in the past have liked my "healing touch"! he smiles at the dwarf.
He gets a panicked look on his face for a brief moment before he realizes that Ranim is off performing for the other tavern guests...relief passes over his face.


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

Returning to the common room with clean face and hands, he was just in time to catch Arindale's comment about his "healing touch". Blushing slightly but otherwise not acknowledging the comment, he resumes his place at the table and takes another pull of ale and digs into his meal.

After a full three quarters of an hour of assuaging his fierce halfling appetite and talking with Braden about animal care, he heads to the bar and purchases a mug of the more expensive Five Kings ale and takes the drink back to Glorfin.

"I thought you might like this. They didn't seem to have the whiskey you preferred in Yanmass, so I hope this'll do," he states somewhat nervously. It wasn't as if the two of them had particularly hit it off, after all.

"I stayed to talk to Jaroo some more. He was right about not being able to help directly: he stays close to town. Surely you understand that he has other responsibilities that must be attended to; it's because of him that all the farmers fields are so green and watered, and none of the animals are sick. He said that the merchants or other townsfolk that have reason to travel would know best about bandits, which is why he told us to look here."

Stopping for a minute, he realized he was probably only further irritating the dwarf.

Leaning in to speak more quietly to Glorfin,

Glorfin:
"That's not why I wanted to talk to you though. He told me about what happened here, maybe a hundred years ago - and it sounded an awful lot like what we saw at Yanmass and on the way here. Too-intense storms, earthquakes, blizzards in summer and heat strokes in winter. Sound familiar?" he asked wrly, and waited the dwarf's response.


By the time that Maegge and Glorfin returned and Maegge had finished washing, evening had come around and additional people begin to appear in the common room.

A group of rugged looking men come in looking like they need a rest after a long day's work and immediately order pitchers of the Dwarven Stout.

A big man comes down from the second floor and sits in the corner by himself.

A woman who looks like a merchant arrives with three female guards. The guards look like they may have formerly been gladiators, or men.

An odd looking pair comes in from the outside, one is a hulking man and the other a diminutive wiring man. They walk over and join the big man from the second floor.

A number of other people who look like locals also come in and order basic meals and ales, stout or beer, none of the expensive drinks.

--> These people do not all wander in at one time, but over the period of 2 hours or so from about 6p.m. to 8 p.m.


Hobbit [hp = 19/22; AC14/T14/ff11; F +1; R+3; W+4 CMD 12]

The almost half century old hobbit has a contented look on his face after the wonderful dinner. He speaks to Maegge. "I need to tell you the story about the difference between involvement and commitment. When I decided to commit myself to fight evil, I decided it was one of these things I was going to put my entire being into."

"Take your bacon and egg breakfast, which we both know and love. The chicken is involved in the bacon and egg breakfast, but the pig is committed. I worry Jaroo is involved in this fight against evil where as I would prefer him to be committed."

Braden orders the smaller room so Maegge and he can share. "Wee folks take up less space."

Finally Braden addresses Tybek, "The Inn is nice, but it will shortly be the end of my coin purse. We need to convert some of our Lumber Consortium items into cash. I didn't have the money to put anything in the grove kitty. You might not believe this, but I still owe the militia for my dog. Although I mustered out, they didn't make me give him back, but technically I still over over a hundred sails to pay off my debt."

As the performance starts, Braden is heard to remark, "Today I have a full belly and pleasant company. Tomorrow will work out, Chaldira will make it so."


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3

Before evening

Arindale wrote:
@ Ranim, Did you ask them where they saw these bandits watching them? That would be a place to start...

"Apparently the same road we came to get here, a few hours out. I'd say it's fortunate we were not attacked, but considering the armaments of our group, they may have decided to avoid us."

Yes, I would have waited until evening to start.


Profile not in use

Glorfin frowns slightly when presented with the mug of ale, half opening his mouth to reply before noting Maegge's demeanor and reconsidering. Instead he offers a nod of thanks "The ale freely given is accepted as same, though I would not tax your purse further as I have coin of my own" taking a draught and holding the amber liquid within his mouth to swirl for a good few seconds before swallowing.

As Maegge speaks of Jaroo, Glorfin listens to his words and does not speak to cross purposes - taking in all that Maegge had to say before responding. "I'll not cross words with you on whether Jaroo could have done less or more... but it does hearten me to hear that when distractions were removed he spoke more freely with you." tone of voice showing that Glorfin's words are genuine.

"It is a troubling sign that the weather's disobeyance of the natural order matches so closely with events of the past... I have... felt... that there is something burgeoning in this place - and have faith that it is why Ogoun has bade me to come here and forsake the Ninth. Something sinister is at play... something that has slept for a hundred years perhaps?"


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

@Braden

Braden wrote:
"The Inn is nice, but it will shortly be the end of my coin purse. We need to convert some of our Lumber Consortium items into cash. I didn't have the money to put anything in the grove kitty. "

Tybek pulls out his pocket watch and checks the time. "Yae dannae expect me tae put away mae bitter ale and simply run oot tae gae haggle away the loot dae yae? If yae didnae spend all our yer sails on such fancy meals, then mebbae you wouldnae be sae poor and yae could gie tae the exploitin kitty pool! Look at me! Oi have tae drink this ale that tastes like crap just because Oi cannae afford the gud stuff. According to mae watch, its time fer yae tae tighten yer belt, mae friend!"

Braden wrote:
"You might not believe this, but I still owe the militia for my dog. Although I mustered out, they didn't make me give him back, but technically I still over over a hundred sails to pay off my debt."

At the news of Braden's debt for his dog, Tybek lets out one of his belly laughs.

"Har har Ho Ho! Yae still owe a debt fer yae wee dug?! Ho Ho! That's a gud ane. And yae still owe o'er a hundred sails?! Nae wonder yer lookin fer adventure! Yer trying tae live loik a king but yae cannae afford it! Oi should start callin yae the frugal hobbit! Ho Ho Ho!"

After Tybek eventually calms himself from laughing so hard, he replies, "Aye, gie me til lunch on the morrow and Oi'll get yae yer share, but try nae tae get any mair in debt tonight, mae wee friend!"

@Ranim

Once the lovely bard gets up to perform, Tybek decides it's time for him to come out and join her on his drum, introducing the world to his innate musical talent. The dwarf pulls out a large old dwarven military drum that looks like it was used in battle. Setting it up on the stage next to Ranim, Tybek waits in anticipation for the start of the song and holds his sticks at the ready. Once the lovely bard starts to sing, Tybek starts pounding away on the loud drum as if he was trying to wake the dead.

Performance 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (4) - 2 = 2

"Keep it up lassie, it daesnnae sound sae bad!"


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

Arindale covers his ears with his hands and begins shaking his head at Tybek...


Profile not in use

As Tybek's unique harmonic stylings begin, Glorfin's face darkens with a mixture of pain and cultural wounding... though he is not so impolite to physically restrain the dwarf from his play.


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

Glorfin:
"Perhaps, indeed. And if so, we need to be able to rely on each other. I know this isn't what you planned on your whole life: I sure wasn't! But if that's what's happening, can you at least be willing to give us a chance? After you and Braden got mad at each other over that Lumber Consortium tracker he still came up to try and start to make things better... can you meet us halfway? Please?" he entreated.

When Tybek started his banging, Maegge's face pinched in pain. "Now, if you'll excuse me..." he trailed off, and ducked into the crowd.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Ranged Attack (Hunk of bread at Tybek), Improvised: 1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 - 4 = 11
Bluff or Disguise: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19 +10=29 YIPPEE, finally rolled a 20, and where it actually matters, to!

Hiding in the crowd, he grabbed an unattended hunk of bread off a table and threw it in Tybek's direction, only narrowly missing.

Disguising his voice, he shouted, "Boo! Someone get that dwarf off the stage - he's drowning out the pretty lady!


Let me know if you all want to join in with, or attempt to listen to, any of the above conversations I listed in my last post.
___________________

After joining Ranim and pulling out his drum, a strange cacophony of sounds suddenly reaches your ears. It is not so much that the beat that Tybek keeps is off, for it definitely is. It is more that in the process he so skews the timing that Ranim had that it sounds more like what you imagine a competition for last place between a goblin and a kobold war drummer would sound like. Fortunately before long a piece of bread goes flying by his head. Unperturbed by the bread, Tybek obliviously continues playing until a large, and apparently rotten, tomato strikes him on the side of the head and then slowly leaches down into his beard. You also notice two youths who appear to be pulling eggs from their pouches, fortunately before they are able to launch their missiles, Ostler catches their eye and shakes his head.

After being hit, Tybek stops playing - at least momentarily - to wipe the tomato from his face, at which point a relieved sigh passes among the crowd.


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14
DM Chaos wrote:
An odd looking pair comes in from the outside, one is a hulking man and the other a diminutive wiring man. They walk over and join the big man from the second floor.

In the course of attempting to get Tybek off the stage, Maegge spots a table with two big men and one small man who don't seem to be locals. Heeding Jaroo's words that the Inns would be the best place to gather information, he allowed himself to be jostled by the small crowd in their direction and tried to get an ear on their conversation.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18


Profile not in use

Maegge:
Glorfin puts his tankard down and frowns slightly "And what exactly makes you fear for my resolve? Am I not still here?"


Maegge:

You do not overhear much, but you do pick up the following:

You overhear the largest man say:
When' yer car'van gettin' here Zert?
and
I hears gob'in hit a car'van from da west yes'day.


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

Maegge, satisfied with having gleaned at least one useful tidbit from the odd pairing, made his way back to Glorfin who had hopefully been mulling his words.

"I'm not questioning your resolve. I'm challenging you to grow beyond what you saw for yourself in Rolgrimmdur. Surely in your time training for the Ninth you saw that some squads fought as if they were one, and there were other squads who faught each on their own despite being shoulder to shoulder? Which squad brings down the biggest giants and wins the most honor for themselves?"


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)
Unsatisfied Customer wrote:
"After being hit, Tybek stops playing - at least momentarily - to wipe the tomato from his face, at which point a relieved sigh passes among the crowd."

"Ach! Dae yae nae have any respect fer gud drummin?! Oi cannae help that the bard loiks tae keep her ain time and decided tae sing a different piece. Oi can see that yer all gae'n tae need some learnin to develop an appreciation fer talent when yae see it!"

"Ach, Oi'm sorry Lass! I didnae ken that this audience wid throw food at yae! Oi gonnae hae tae let yae perform on yer own! Moi drum is tae valuable tae let it be exposed tae tomatoes! Gud luck with this crowd. They're a tough one!"

Tybek grabs his drum and puts it away back in his backpack. He then returns to his table with Arindale, where he chokes down a slug of his ale.

"Oi'm glad yae're here tae support me. The rest of this crowd daesnae appreciate a gud rhythm section! Excuse me fer a moment. Oi'm gonnae hae a word with the big bloke in the corner. Oi always loik tae blether wid mae fans after a performance."

Tybek takes his tankard of ale and goes over to sit by the big man who is sitting in the corner by himself.

"Gud evenin, fella! Are yae enjoyin the music?!"


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

I already spied on him. Besides, I thought Tybek would surely go and mooch off the table with pitchers of Dwarven Stout! lol


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

Aye, the Dwarven Stout is comin yet!


[(HP 20/26 | AC15 T11 FF13 CMD16 | F+2 R+4 W+2 | Inish +1 Per +3 S.M. +5) Female Suli Bard 3
Tybek Odeon wrote:

"Ach! Dae yae nae have any respect fer gud drummin?! Oi cannae help that the bard loiks tae keep her ain time and decided tae sing a different piece. Oi can see that yer all gae'n tae need some learnin to develop an appreciation fer talent when yae see it!"

"Ach, Oi'm sorry Lass! I didnae ken that this audience wid throw food at yae! Oi gonnae hae tae let yae perform on yer own! Moi drum is tae valuable tae let it be exposed tae tomatoes! Gud luck with this crowd. They're a tough one!"

When the food starts to fly, Ranim makes sure to step away from Tybek. Though she does her best to supress her own feelings when he does finally stop torturing the crowd. "Perhaps we shall have to perfect a piece using your unique percussion stylings, Master Odeon." As Tybek steps away, she quickly tries to soothe the crowd.

Doubt I'll be able to do much talking.


Hobbit [hp = 19/22; AC14/T14/ff11; F +1; R+3; W+4 CMD 12]

Braden speaks up, "We have the beginnings of a great moneymaking enterprise. We have them pay for Ranim to perform. Then we charge them twice as much for Tybek to STOP performing."

Then Braden is curiously drawn to the female guards and the merchant. He walks over and asks, "Fellow merchant, any news of the road. These are dangerous times to put a convoy on the roads."

Finally Braden talks to Maegge, "I couldn't help but think about our encounter with Jaroo. It could be that he thinks very highly of his abilities and position and does not interact well with others. There are those out there that tend to bring out the worst in people when they talk to them."

It is quite obvious the irony of his own statements are lost on the bespectacled hobbit.


@ Tybek
As Tybek walks over, the smaller man in a robe and the man who first came downstairs stop talking and look at you.

Sense Motive DC 12:

It is apparent that they hope you leave them faster than you left the stage.

However, the really big fellow smiles.

Hey Zert, you hear dis midget. He be a good wit em drums.
__________________

@ Braden
The guards and the merchant stop talking when you approach. At your inquiry, one of the guards says: Roads are always dangerous. But, if the price is right, any road will be traveled.


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

Sense Motive 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

"That wee midget yae referred tae was me! Oi'm glad yae fancied it! Keeping time wid the music is mae passion! It brings me back tae mae dad's shop wid all his beautiful clocks! Sae, what's yer name fella? Oi am Tybek Odeon, but mae friends just call me Tybek!"


The other big fellow smiles:
I am Zert. Nice to meet you Tybek.

Then the big guy who is apparently not Zert stands up and offers his hand, knocking over his mostly consumed mug in the process.

Oops. Hi, I'm Kobort. How da ya do 'bek. Maybe we kin be friends.

The smaller man continues to just sit still and watch.


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

"Aye, it's gud tae meet yae, Zert and Kobort! Oi'm always glad tae make friends wid clever and large folk!" Tybek gives a hearty handshake to each. "Watch yerself, yae're losin some o'yer ale mae friend. Mind yae if yer drinkin the Maheto stout, it wouldnae be a bad thing anyway! Sae whit are yae drinkin anyway? And what are yae twa daein in this toon? Yae cannae be writin a book on places tae stay awa frae, canyae?"


Profile not in use

Calmly Glorfin replies "And is that what you believe I seek?... honor?"

Maegge:
I'm a little confused as to exactly what you're trying to convince Glorfin of?
He's not said anything about not continuing to work with the group... but your speech seems to indicate that he has?


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

I'm just trying to get him to bond with everyone more so we're a team instead of collection of individuals who happen to be in the same place at the same time. He wandered off through town alone, he's sitting against the wall by himself, etc. so I guess I feel like I don't know him as well as some of the others, and I'm trying to get him to lighten up some. Does that make more sense? If that's not how you envision him or want to play him, then that's obviously not how it's going to turn out - but I wanted to try and give him/you that opening. :)

"The point, Master Umbar-Caeli, is that I don't know. You heeded a holy vision, and given your word to band together with us - but beyond that, I just don't know."

"I'm going to go sit with the others. May I find a seat for you?"


@ Tybek - Kobort looks at Zert with a confused look. I no understand da dwarf. Mebbe he talks dwarf.

The smaller man simply leans back in his chair and smiles while crossing his arms.


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)
Kobort wrote:
"I no understand da dwarf. Mebbe he talks dwarf."

"What dae yae mean yae cannae understand me?! Oi'm speakin plain as day! If yae dannae speak the common tongue, Oi can always speak mae native tongue!

Tybek reverts to dwarven to see if he has any better luck.

"Како ово звучи? Да ли ме разумеш сада? Све што сам тражио је шта ти радиш овде у граду Хоммлет"

Dwarven:
"How does this sound? Can you understand me now? All I was asking was what are you doing here in the town of Hommlet?"

Hobbit [hp = 19/22; AC14/T14/ff11; F +1; R+3; W+4 CMD 12]

Braden grabs Maegge.
"I want to bring you in the kitchen and show you what I did last time."
Braden wants to see if he can get a meat pie made again. The stew placed on a hot metal surface turned out just right at the Spider. He will see if he can convince someone in the kitchen here to try and make one for him as a bonus for the elaborate dinner. He describes the perfect combination of bread and meat sitting on a hot metal surface till it crusts up.
Almost as good as pancakes :-)


Profile not in use

Returning a polishing rag to his articles of faith - gauntlets and weaponry - Glorfin responds "Then it would seem Master Maegge that you are left with trust and faith. I cannot answer if that is enough for you, but as you said my word has been given." stating the phrase with a certain finality as though that should be enough. However he makes no attempt to rise and join your table.

Glorfin won't lighten up... ever - it's just not in his DNA. But there is method to all he's done. The walk was also to gauge the whole og the town rather than just go straight to the inn. He's sitting to one side so he's got space to both polish his armor as well as watch the room... and also to distance the dour looking crusader dwarf from the rest of you so that you might more easily move around the room and interact.
Not that everyone is actually sitting together anyway... and we're only a week in to the adventure, so there's time yet to bond / etc.
I was assuming we'd talk at the end of the night as a group to figure out next direction.

Glorfin watches Tybek's interactions with the men of the second floor, but does not move to join.


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

Well, I suppose that settles things. Good to know ;)

"Ooh, that sounds promising, Braden!" said Maegge, not needing to be towed into the kitchen.

"For something to delicious, it makes me wonder why my Da never did this. Maybe he just didn't know," he pondered in speculation while waiting for the meat pies to crisp.


Male Human Cleric 3 (FC) AC 20 HP 29/29 F: +5 R: +2 W:+5 Perc: +2

When Eelin comes back a little later, Eelin, I bet a pretty girl like you here's all sort of things in this tavern. We are adventurers looking for bandits to stop and treasure to unearth.
If you could help point us to either, I am sure a suitable reward can be arranged.

Arindale pulls out a shiny gold piece...


@ Tybek - Zert and Kobort look at each other and give one another strange looks. Kobort says: I really no understand him. He need learn how ta talk here.

The smaller man sits back smiling with crossed arms and says nothing.
______________

@ Braden & Maegge - the Goodwife who has been cooking is a little confused as to what you are asking her to do and does not really seem amenable to allowing two rather unknown hobbits into her kitchen.
______________

@ Arindale - Eelin just giggles as you tell her that she is pretty. When you ask about bandits, she frowns. We serve all types here. If they do not cause problems in Hommlet and pay their bills. I am sure more than a few bandits have come through here.

When you pull out the gold piece, her demeanor darkens. I am not that type of a girl thank you.
______________

@ Everyone - While you are all talking and Tybek is hanging out with the inteligencia, a tall man in his middle years wearing a long robe enters the room. He is followed moments later by a slightly shorter and more heavily built man. Both are warmly welcomed by Ostler and led to a table in the back corner of the common room. You over hear a few of the locals greet them and hear: Evening Burne. and How ya doin' Rufus. You are unsure which is which.


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)
Kobort wrote:
"I really no understand him. He need learn how ta talk here."

"Whit are yae bletherin aboot? Yae're speakin the common tongue and there is nae reason yae shouldnae understand whit Oi'm sayin! Ach! Yer helpless! Mebbae once Oi pull Arin awa frae the pretty lass, Oi can git em tae dae the speakin tae yae, but enough is enough! Oi'll catch yae later, mates!"

Tybek stands up, exasperated with the effort required to communicate with them. Next, he strolls over to rugged looking men with the Dwarven Stout ale.

"Gud evening, gents! How are yae folks daein this evenin? Oi'm Tybek and Oi've just arrived in yer toon today! Sae, whit're yae drinkin?"


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

"Just give us a minute, please, Goodwife! Once you see this, you can do so yourself and make a fortune selling these to all the other travellers!" prognosticated the salivating Maegge as the meat pies continued to firm up.

Once the pies finish, he gingerly scraped up his own and took a bite of the steaming patty. Offering the pie - with bite-mark - to her, he waits expectantly for her doubtlessly unbound approval at such culinary genius.

"And it's all thanks to Braden, here!"


Hobbit [hp = 19/22; AC14/T14/ff11; F +1; R+3; W+4 CMD 12]

Braden will explain, "Ma'am I had a dilemma. I had unlimited helpings of venison stew, but no place to store it. I wandered into the kitchen and saw a hot plate over the fire. A little venison stew on the hot griddle, a little flour added, and the rest is history. I had a flaky pie to put in my pocket for later. They do say necessity is the mother of invention."


Profile not in use

As the inn continues to fill, Glorfin completes his work polishing his shield, gauntlets and weaponry. The sigils of his patron Ogoun are vibrant and gleaming by the time he is finished. Then with a solemnity he places the gauntlets back upon his hands before leaning his earthbreaker against the wall. Donning his shield on the left and his warhammer in his right hand, he stands in place and steadies himself - taking a couple of deep breaths with eyes closed before acting.

With a grunt of effort he slams the head of his warhammer into his shield with a thunderous clang; while at the same time calling upon the gifts of the Archons... and setting the head of his warhammer burning with a cold flame. Feet set wide in a fighting stance his icy blue eyes look out and regard the room with a steady gaze as his head tracks from one side of the inn to the other. Raising his flaming hammer above his head as he bellows:

"People of Hommlet I bid you hear me. I am Glorfin Umbar-Caeli, dwarf of Rolgrimmdur in the Five Kings, and I have come with kin and allies to this place. Here within the busom of the Welcome Wench you feel safe and likely you are... but those that walk beyond the safety of these streets have felt the threat of banditry and worse. Something stirs within these lands... and it perverts nature to its purpose. I give you a blood oath this night... I will pledge on my honor and beard that I will fight against all that threatens the lawful and righteous here. Good people need not fear my wrath, but banditry and monstrous creatures will be put to the hammer. Из мојих речи до моје смрти."

Из мојих речи до моје смрти - Dwarven: From my words until my death.

With that Glorfin brings down his hammer and the flame burning upon it's head dies out. He tracks the room with a steady gaze... gauging the response of the people of Hommlet.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21 Trying to read the reaction of the crowd and identify those that are either heartened or threatened by the words.
Edit: and Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22 if needed


@ Braden - give me a Profession(cooking) roll. I know it will be untrained, just use your Wis modifier.
________________

@ Tybek - as you walk over to the rugged looking men, they stop talking and look at you. Finally one of them speaks up: Evening, where ya from? Yer accent is tough ta understand. We're drink'n yer stout, cheapest drink on the menu here.
________________

DM Rolls:

5d20 ⇒ (3, 2, 6, 7, 3) = 21

Glorfin:

As you walk around most of the people look confused at your statement, or perhaps why you made it.
The three men that Tybek was attempting to talk with appear concerned.
The two who came in late and were welcomed by Ostler look to be frustrated by your pronouncement.


Profile not in use

DM - Glorfin didn't move from near his table as he spoke.

Having said his piece, Glorfin lays his shield upright against his table where the sigil of Ogoun is in clear view and places his warhammer back on his belt-loop. He then sits down ponderously with his back to the wall and retrieves the tankard brought by Maegge, and takes a draught.

His eyes keep their vigil upon the room... focusing on the two latecomers and the three men of the second floor in the corner.


Dwarf Rogue 3 (hp: 31/31, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14, Perception +7 (+9 Traps), Stealth +13)

"Aye, O'm frae Maheto and just arrived frae Yanmass this evenin. Tell me, whit dae yae all dae here in toon? Hae yae been here lang?"


HP 25/25; Per +12 (+2 outside); AC 16, Touch 14, Flat 13; Gimpy HP 28/28; Per +6; AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14

I suppose that's certainly one way to advance the plot!

Maegge practically jumps in startlement at the sound of a mighty clash from the front room. When Glorfin's proclaimation filtered in through the door, he was increasingly annoyed.

The thoughts paramount of those running through his head at that moment were, Great, why don't you just go walking up to the black temple of evil and knock on the door while you're at it? And why does mister I-don't-want-to-be-friends-or-talk-about-anything-at-all sourpuss grumpypants have to suddenly get up and tell EVERYONE what was supposed to be a secret? I'm such an idiot! Jaroo's going to be so mad!

EDIT: Hey, cool - 500 posts in less than a month!

451 to 500 of 3,447 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Temple of Elemental Evil - The black heart of natural catastrophe. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.