Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Team Dwarf/Gnome in Elves vs Dwarves -- ELVES KEEP OUT (Inactive)

Game Master Chainmail

Homebrew old school campaign where elves and dwarves interact in an ever increasing way as the game continues.
current map


251 to 300 of 3,400 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

"Well give me a few days to decide, if I can't find a dwarf or gnome with the right skills I guess I won't have much choice. If he has such a colourful record it might be better if he comes along so we can keep an eye on him." It's obvious Thograt doesn't like the idea but he'll compromise if that's what the team needs.


Female Gnome Sorcerer 2

Neji has spent an excellent night with Brask and is now level 2.


"Thograt, I have two recruits, a ranger and rogue--pick one and we'll start you out after our holiday festivities.

Brask (and optionally Neji) bring the pack mules back to the human settlement. 200' from the front gate there is large table set with strong drink and cooked game. Terog sits at the table alone. He gestures for you to sit.

One post should take care of the interchange given Brask's limited fondness for 'fancy talkin'

Note - Synopsis of events to date commonly known in the world passed by merchants, spies, and heralds are now available in common thread Elves vs Dwarves Who is Better?


Female Gnome Sorcerer 2

Sure I'll go with Studly.
If he doesn't mind.


Studly doesn't mind at all. ^_^

Brask eyes the table, the human, and finally the drink.

"I suppose one drink won't kill me. 'Ere's yer mules, now, ye mind spinnin' me an' me lovely par'n'r a yarn er two?"


Terog looks Brask in the eye, "Want me to drink from a cup first? We are men of action, lies ill become us. Hopefully we do not cross blades again. If you stop by, ask for me, the bar is always open here." He points inside the stockade.

After your drink, he packs up the 'mobile bar' and heads back inside. The beer wasn't Giant's Tears, but for human brew, it was probably about the best they had.

He yells in the distance as you leave "Remember, the winter is always a harsh mistress."


Brask drinks without remarking on the quality of the brew. He yells back to Terog:

"Aye, an' Lady Luck be just as fickle."

And with that he walks off with Neji beside him.


Female Gnome Sorcerer 2

"Men treat each other so weird... Just kill him Brask, you're way more Man than he can ever be," she says to Brask, well out of earshot on the way back.


Female Gnome Sorcerer 2

"Men treat each other so weird... Just kill him Brask, you're way more Man than he can ever be," she says to Brask, well out of earshot on the way back.


"Now, now. 'E didn't try an' pull tha same trick twice, so 'e's learin'."


In the common gameplay thread I am posting all information that is passing through the informal networks of the day. You will see these updates after a mission and at critical times throughout the campaign.

If there is any encounter or interaction with both parties, it will be resolved in the elves vs dwarves main thread. link to elves vs dwarves main thread


"Thograt, Are you bringing Magnum? I need to know. If not I have work for him."


"Sorry Sir, I been thinking it over, and Ive decided I'll give him a try. Trial basis mind you and just to cover our tracks. It'll be one less thing for Brask to worry about and it'll mean Brask can scout ahead."


"Ok, Rock said to come with you for now. I am sure you have decided that a one month hike over a hostile exposed glacier is not for now. You plan on looting the human treasure museum than using me to get you to the big depot past the human settlement so we can convert the treasure into useable equipment like plate mail and such."

"I also saw another ranger around the halls. He is a little green, but we grab him and go. I need a henchman anyway to teach my skills to so I don't get rusty. Rangers are about the best you can get for the eventual trip across the glacier, and we need to blood him in the inevitable fight for treasure. This dwarven rule of sending six every year in waves until you succeed seems strange, one more set of eyes and weapons can make the difference between victory and defeat."

"Thograt you checked everyone for winter survival gear; we'll need it.


"With your new information, you are ready. I have found a set of winter survival gear for everyone in the armory if they need it and a large tent that will fit your group."

Time for Thograt to decide and party members to provide input.


Female Gnome Sorcerer 2

Neji casts her eyes up and down Magnum, licking her lips.

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

“Please allow me to introduce myself before I lend my opinion on the direction of this esteemed band of brotherhood” with a nod to Neji sitting on Brask’s lap ”and sisterhood." Hon glances around, holds forth his stein (yes, stein!),”Name is Hon Semparatus. Please call me Hon. I’ll keep my comments brief. If we are to approach the human barbarians, perhaps, as desired by the treacherous human civilized village, a trade of refined metal goods and some weapons would be more appropriate to gain access and a selection of items from their treasured hall. If no trade is possible, goodwill and information should be our coin. Uncivilized does not mean without honor. And a second source of supplies would be an excellent way to stick it to the extorting thugs in the village.” He raises his stein to the hall, ”I’ve said my piece. You know where I stand.” He takes a healthy sip, nods to no one in particular and sits down to finish his meal.


"Methinks tha lad is on ta sumthin'. I say we give 'is idea a shot."
Brask looks down at the gnome in his lap.

"Guess ye've got yerself 'nother one ta train." Brask says with a wicked grin.


"Before all the holiday festivities, everyone was keen to 'acquire' an Ice Ship, is that still the case team?"

Rock wrote:
"Finally for option 4 you can travel southwest along the coast to a large monastery where the humans have built 'ice ships'. If we can get one of these ice ships made of blades and sail, your group will have increased mobility and can sail the frozen bays of the north at will. Rumor has it this area is home to fierce wolves and half men-half monsters that eat anything with meat and bones."

"Rock, did you mean that the area around the monastery is plagued by these half men monsters or the bays of the north?"


"It is a one month trip across a frozen glacier or along the human coast road to the monastery. The way there is plagued with wolves and man/monsters. I can guide you there, but I rather we hit the treasure stash first, then stock up at the depot, and then go in wolf and monster country fully equipped. The legend of the ice riders still lives and the monks are still strong. No one can get into that fortress of theirs without their consent."

"I found an apprentice, so he counts as part of my group. I was hoping we did full shares for apprentices, as he is a ranger and we will need every bit of trained eyes where we be going."


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

After being approached by one of the party, Aye, I'll help ya across thar land to where ya goin. It'd be a honor to help my kin again. But what's this? A human is coming along and asked that I help ya out. Don't know much about that. Those humans are tricky and I don't trust em much to tell yar the truth. I'll follow Rock's orders and therefore Thograt's, but I won't have that scoundrel ordering me about ya here. I'll do what I can for you even if it is just carry'in supplies that ya need or tak'n a watch. Let me grab my gear and I'll be right with yas.
With that Kragg downs his beer and walks off. a While later he comes back with a Dwarven Ugrosh in his hand, a laden pack on his back and a coil of rope at his hip. He is dressed in the winter travel garb he owns and graciously takes the winter snowsuit. Aye this will come in handy out thar in the snow. Make it tricky to see us and give us a chance to see the land without bein seen. When do ya head out and do we have any maps in The Hall that we can look at before we leave so we know what we are getting into?

If there is time, Kragg would like to peruse the maps that the Dwarves have to better understand the lay of the land and what terrain we are likely to across. Hopefully they are good enough to help and not get us lost. If they are of good quality, Kragg would like to buy some paper and make a map to carry with him to help prevent us from getting lost.


"Okay Kragg. I took you on as my apprentice so you can come along. I take my responsibilities seriously. If you want to keep my snowsuit and have our relationship end the moment we leave, that is fine with me. If your truly with me, you are gonna learn how to do some things my way."

Magnum produces four large bandoliers. Two have hand axes in sheaths and the other two have smaller axes (more like hatchets) specifically designed to be thrown long distances in sheaths.

"If your my apprentice your gonna hump some of these axes and learn to throw em. If your not, your not and I guess this may be the shortest apprenticeship ever."

Kragg can get a waterproof scroll case, ten sheets of parchment, and a high quality charcoal stylus from the library. The parchment and stylus all seal nicely in the twist on case with a locking mechanism.

"Thograt, let me know where we go, and I'll get you there. I have spare snow suits for the stealth types. I say the stash of treasure from those barbarians."

Magnum produces six dwarf-sized all white outergarments similar to what the human crossbowmen that unsuccessfully tried to sneak up on Brask had. Kragg already has one.

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Hon wanders up to inspect the snowsuits. Lifting each in turn to establish the best fit. Satisfied with his selection, he turns to look Magnum in the eye and with a firm handshake, "Thank you for your foresight. I welcome your presence among us." He heads off to pick up his winter survival gear and make adjustments for an outdoor wilderness journey. Not something he is necessarily practiced in nor geared for.


Those give a +2 to stealth on the snow as well as the regular +4 on forts in cold weather right?
Brask eyes the snowsuits, looking each of them over carefully, before selecting one that looks like it'll give him the best mobility and camouflage.
"Just itchin' ta lay yer mitts on some gold, eh?"
He flashes his characteristic wolfish grin at Magnum.


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

As Magmun is talkin to him, Kragg takes a quick opportunity to glance at Thograt. Seeing him nod almost imperceptively, Kragg returns his gaze to the human. Gruffly speaking, Thanks for the gear. I'll take care of these axes like they're me own. As far as using'em, I'd prefer to me own weapon that I am comfortable with. That being said, I'll use'em if I got'em. Anything else I need to carry for ya. What's yar plan for food while were away?

What is the cost of the mapping supplies?


Mapping supplies are free -- you have the run of the library. Consider that you have access to masterwork scribing type equipment while in the dwarwen hold. The snow suits are an overcloak, they provide no survival bonus. Historical Reference: Finland has used snowsuits as winter camouflage for soldiers since its independence. At first, snow-camouflage suits were simple white overalls and they were easy and cheap to produce. When the Winter War began, Finnish forces were already issued with snow camouflage, whereas this was not immediately made available to Soviet forces.

"Kragg, a strong dwarf like you loaded down with all that armor isn't gone exactly gonna quickly close distances. You need to be able to throw an axe or hatchet when you can. You shift that dwarven urgosh to your off-hand and heave."

Magnum instructs you how to fit both bandoliers so you have easy access to draw and throw an axe or hatchet. The other two bandoliers are fitted into a backpack Magnum has if you don't have one. It is obvious he is not a particularly strong human, so his carrying capacity is only a fraction of yours. Bandoliers hold six hand axes and ten hatchets. Hatchets have a 20' range increment and do 1d4.


"Alright then, I know id rather be better equiped before facing off with half beast monsters, let's go get some treasure!"


DM roll:
Encounter roll 1d20 ⇒ 6

Once again the party is ready to go into hostile territory. Everyone grabs two weeks of trail rations and two one liter waterskins from the stores in addition to personal supplies. Two halves of the large tent need to be divvied up too. Winter survival gear and snowsuits are donned if wanted (add each to your character sheet if you want them). The dwarves once again managed to crowd the tunnels and pound their weapons on their shields and armor as you pass by.

A one hour hike from secret gate has you in site of the human stronghold. Skirting the stronghold to the left/east you cross a well cut path in the snowy wasteland. This crumbling road provides barely better footing than the snowy waste and leads mostly east cutting through the most favorable terrain to bypass hills and large, rough boulders. You soon find yourself traveling across an desolate, icy glacier.


I need a marching order from Thograt or Brask. You can easily walk two abreast. Magnum prefers to be with Kragg either first or last and about 60' from the main body. He seems to clearly understand that Thograt is in charge, and Brask is #2.

Thograt gets 3 level 1 potions in addition to the three CLWs. These need to be picked and divvied up too. Oil of magic weapon was mentioned as a possible level 1 potion that could be useful.


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

Agh, Magnum, I said I didn't like to use em, not that I didn't know how. I can give a good toss if I need ta, just watch out if my aims a bit off.
Ya know a good weapon with a point makes for easier traversing the ice don't yah. Might be something ya look into so ya don't slip. If ya need me to hold a bit more so your delicate frame isn't too bothered I can. This load won't slow me down none at all.
Kragg hoists his backpack with the extra gear from the storeroom and Magnum, keeps 1 waterskin around his waist inside his winter coat to keep it from freezing and follows the group into the wilderness. Periodically he will keep track of direction incase something should happen to Magnum and we have to get back somehow.


Kragg, Magnum

Ninni, Khazad
Thograt, Hon
Neji, Brask


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Khazad is grumpy as usual. "We're not some pansy humans who have to hide from those they went out to meet!" Still, an order is an order, and with much huffing and puffing and sighing he pulls a snowsuit over his stocky form. "Well, at least I can count on Neji to camouflage my beard too, if need be", he adds with a short chuckle.


secret rolls:
PER Magnum aiding/Kragg 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 231d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

After two nights of camping in high spots of the glacier with good visiblity and a camp with no fire; you begin to adjust to the open spaces of a frozen wasteland. At night the sky is full of stars and Magnum points out the constellation of a large bear, an animal sacred to the barbarian tribes that inhabit much of the habitable parts of north.
During day three of the trek as Magnum is quizzing Bragg as he has on all the previous days to point out possible ambush spots, Bragg notices a human sentry silhouetted against the dim arctic day. Further inspection reveals another one closeby. Both sentries are on a ledge approximately 100' above the trail and 300' ahead and have shortbows. Magnum points to a rough rock wall that leads to the same ledge as the sentries that is an 80' climb well off the main path.

After motioning for the column to halt, Bragg and Magnum report back to Thograt and whisper quietly their discovery. On the glacier, sound travels very far, so maneuvre penalties to stealth for armor are increased by 50%.


"I can lead us around them and lose no more than a day. There is definitely more waiting than those two--they are probably the lookouts. We can also try to climb and take them out, but we have to be quiet--no pounding in pitons [DC12 climb]. I am not much of an crossbowman, so I don't like my chances of trying to take them out in a silent archery barrage, but Brask here has a growing reputation now in that area."


Brask whispers just loud enough to be heard.
"Aye, but if they have any wits 'tall, they'd 'ave them wathcin' each other as well. I dunno if we can take 'em both without warnin' the other, or the rest o' 'em."

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

"If I may paraphrase Khazad's sentiments, why are we acting like treacherous city folk skulking about giving the worst first impression in thier own hunting grounds to boot?" Hon spits into a nearby snow drift to emphasize his point. He does a long slow survey around not bothering to hide his intentions.
[ooc]Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
"Now mind you, I am a wee bit paranoid in some respects. Those sentries were meant to be seen. I suspect we've been under observation since the last ridge. The way I see it, we have everything to gain if we continue to be honorable dwarves passing through, do a meet, greet and feast. Possibly negotiate a tour of treasure hall, perhap not. More importantly, in my mind, arrange for a trade of services between our two people. Once done, successful or not, we let drop our intentions to do trophy hunting of monstrous fiendish beasts and ask for advice. If we do this with charm, finesse and honor, we'll have forged three swords in one hammer blow. Safe passage, supply trade and new toys.
If it all goes piss poor, well, we should figure out soon enough whether or not they are an honorable people before we get to blows.


"We are still four days from the barbarian settlement. The barbarians consider missile weapons to be somewhat dishonorable and typically do not like to use them. These sentries have the feel of bandit lookouts."

Hon:
The sentries were not easy to see, you barely made them out too.


"I don't like skulking around either."

I assume Big Mug is along too.


"Big Mug, Hon, listen ta me, aight? IF these be bandits then sneaking 'round is tha best choice we've got. If we do this right, we can have 'em dancin' in circles while we just breeze on by."


Damn forgot Big Mug. Sorry

"I'm not a big fan o sneakin around either, but let's give it a try. Save our energy and resources for the barbarians. Lets see how good our team o rangers are. "

Potions selected: 2x magic weapon, 1 for Khazad 1 for Kragg
1x CLW for Kragg.

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

"Oh don't get me wrong. I'll sneak when I have to, when it is appropriate. I'll plead ignorance when it comes to barbarians or recognizing them. I've only heresay to go on. Agree with your assessment, lets spend the extra time to avoid the bandits. We can play with them later or alert the barbarians of the intrusion. See how they react: This would indeed reveal much about the character of the tribe.

With a final glance up the path, he looks backwards. "Daylight is wasting away. Lead on Sir Magnum and Sir Bragg.


"If you want to go cross country and ditch this ambush, I bet these guys won't be here two weeks from now when we come back loaded with loot. If these guys are waiting here to ambush people in this nasty place, they can't have too much worth taking."

To be safe you double back an hour and go off the main road. The way is a little more snow covered, and Magnum and Kragg exert a little more energy to clear the way.

secret DM roll:
Encounter 1d20 ⇒ 19

secret DM roll:
Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23


The first day Magnum and Kragg notice something off and, after some digging, unearth a poorly concealed game hunter cache of six perfectly preserved white wolf pelts and six days of wolf jerky of unknown quality.

Five days of uneventful travel over the glacier lead you to a springy tundra of scrub forest. Evergreens and stringy tough grass are common and the looser, softer snow feels springy under your feet after days of traveling on ice.

"We are on the boundaries of bear clan land. To parlay, typically we would light a fire and they will come. We can risk infiltrating to the monolith without talking to them, but that could make them mad. The wolf pelts and wolf jerky make solid bargaining power with these people. I also brought a liter of Giant's Tears too. Do we sneak or parley Thograt? They would also be offended if we hunt here without permission. After eating these crappy trail rations, I could use a fresh steak."

Appraise DC15:
Pelts worth at least 25gp each


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Appraise:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Those pelts our rangers found are good. Whoever prepared them was a skilled hunter/tanner - I can't spot a single flaw in them. Still, I wouldn't sell my glaive for less than a dozen of those, but that's because I'm civilized, har har.
We can present them as a sign of goodwill to secure safe passage to their 'treasure hall'. Then we'd have to watch our tongues carefully, because I imagine they might be clueless to the real worth of what they have there. If we manage to keep them clueless, we could make ourselves a bargain.
Still, my hands are itching for a good fight again, so if they start acting up, I'll gladly welcome them to the pointy end of my glaive.


8 days of the 14 days of trail rations you were given are consumed. Glacier runoff in the middle of the day collects in occasional pools and is quite refreshing--fresh water is plentiful in the north, so there is no reason to track water. Unfortunately the humans have overhunted the game in the Northern Reaches and the elk, deer, and moose are much less plentiful. In the bear clan lands they only hunt what they consume, so game will be available everywhere in the bear clan lands. Kragg, Brask, and Magnum spot deer and elk sign everywhere here.


"Fresh meat fer dinner anyone?"

survival:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

As much as the thought o ffresh meat sounds appealing, Kragg does not want to offend the barbarians so already. If Thograt wishes, then Kragg will go hunting for food. survival if Thograt wants food. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

[ooc]Will take the 8 rations off my profile. [ooc]


Female Gnome Sorcerer 2
Khazad Grimglaive wrote:
Khazad is grumpy as usual. "We're not some pansy humans who have to hide from those they went out to meet!" Still, an order is an order, and with much huffing and puffing and sighing he pulls a snowsuit over his stocky form. "Well, at least I can count on Neji to camouflage my beard too, if need be", he adds with a short chuckle.

"Keep you warm at night too, if you like." she raises an eyebrow expectantly.


Magnum tE wrote:

The first day Magnum and Kragg notice something off and, after some digging, unearth a poorly concealed game hunter cache of six perfectly preserved white wolf pelts and six days of wolf jerky of unknown quality.

Five days of uneventful travel over the glacier lead you to a springy tundra of scrub forest. Evergreens and stringy tough grass are common and the looser, softer snow feels springy under your feet after days of traveling on ice.

"We are on the boundaries of bear clan land. To parlay, typically we would light a fire and they will come. We can risk infiltrating to the monolith without talking to them, but that could make them mad. The wolf pelts and wolf jerky make solid bargaining power with these people. I also brought a liter of Giant's Tears too. Do we sneak or parley Thograt? They would also be offended if we hunt here without permission. After eating these crappy trail rations, I could use a fresh steak."

** spoiler omitted **

"You seem to have thought o everything Magnum and I'm glad I brought you along. I'm happy to take your advice and trade with the Barbarians. Let's not kill Amy of their wildlife just yet."

251 to 300 of 3,400 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Team Dwarf / Gnome in Elves vs Dwarves -- ELVES KEEP OUT All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.