Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Team Dwarf/Gnome in Elves vs Dwarves -- ELVES KEEP OUT (Inactive)

Game Master Chainmail

Homebrew old school campaign where elves and dwarves interact in an ever increasing way as the game continues.
current map


2,401 to 2,450 of 3,400 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>

The dwarves continue to climb. Gallak has already provided a head start. No one has chosen to try the narrow chimney.

Duergar:
UMD1d20 ⇒ 8 Attacks2d20 ⇒ (1, 18) = 19

Big Mug the bannerman easily holds off a war axe swing and a thrown hand axe.


Gnomish: Kib, hold them off, then take the chimney. You'll have the advantage there.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

"How the $@#^% am I supposed tae hold off anythin' when I can't see %&#^??" the increasingly frustrated Gnome yells in reply. Nevertheless though, the gritty little sorcerer prepares to do as best he can.

Readying one of his wands, he bellows out again "Big Mug! Where are you?" and then, once he hears the reply, combining this with his memory of a few seconds ago before his sight was cut off again, and erring on the side of caution, he targets his spell, hoping to block any more enemy from coming forward.

Cast Web from wand, targeted for near end of web to be in H-112. Not sure what to do/roll etc. for not being able to see?


Kib roll a d20 and 11+ targets normally. Will be like the concealment roll.

The dwarves continue the ascent with rope up the corner where it is easy. Big Mug with his new fancy armor is easily holding off his foes fighting defensively.

Joan:
No more sounds from above, but instinct tells you someone is up there.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Web Caat Roll: 1d20 ⇒ 15


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Crap, crap! CRAP! It's an ambush, it's gotta be!
Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Confirm: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
If Crit: 2d8 + 4 + 8 ⇒ (6, 1) + 4 + 8 = 19

Joan fires one more time, trying to give Big Mug some room to retreat before moving next to the shaft that was their way out.

"Big Mug, We've gotta go! Fall back, please!"


conceal: 1d100 ⇒ 16
Joan has problems firing in the dark. The dwarves continue to climb up the ten foot square shaft. Taking care to hammer in pitons and secure the rope, the progress is slow and steady. At fifty feet up, it would take an acrobatic leap to jump across to the secure handholds that are undisturbed higher in the shaft (60' and higher). DC 21 ACR check to jump across and grab a handhold. Higher up it will be possible to swing someone, or a DC20 climb check to climb to the handholds.

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Gaseous status:
I am halfway through the potion duration (6 minute minimum for 3rd lvl caster)

So ~32 rounds have passed, Movement is 10'/rd, approximately 320 feet of drifting. I'll be drifting up the chimney. With intention of scouting the surface soldiers. So unless the duergar figure out a way to damage/stop me, I may already be topside. Drifting at this rate, I can make perception checks to inspect each opponent and listen in as well. I'll take perception "10"+7 for each.

Hon has slowly followed the Duegar, drifting alongside each of the twenty pushing to the front line. He'll face Big Mug with a insubstantial helmet tip, turn to face the lead duergar and assist Big Mug defense with distraction.

I am thinking I could engulf Big Mug to "blur" him without affecting his actions. Alternately, just be one cloud of translucent fury around the duergar's head. Sadly, this may be the most effective I've been in combat...


Hon:
32 rounds since Joan foiled the ambush. Hon quaffed the potion much later as he had to ascend the stairs and then fight duergar in the north corridor, so he is some distance away from the shaft. The dwarves double moved at 40' ahead of Hon for some time. I can make an exact calculation, but I don't think he will be at the chimney for a while. Actually, checking the spreadsheet, Hon quaffed the potion 100 squares=500'(50 rounds) away from the chimney.

The dwarves continue the climb to the top as Hon drifts down the passage. Kib considers going into the narrow chimney.

You recall that: A 200 foot deep, ten feet by ten feet air shaft descends into the rock below. Rough hand and footholds are carved in the north side of the shaft for descent into the mountain. Someone has recently chiseled a gear at the lip of the top of the shaft.

You have made it to the 60' mark being careful to leave a trail of rope pitoned to the wall every 10 feet.

Climb6d20 ⇒ (11, 17, 6, 9, 20, 3) = 66

Big Mug holds the duergar back in the web easily, and is ready to start climbing with Magnum up the rope when he gets a chance.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Who's go is it?


With the web in place consider combat over.

There is a duergar in cover in the web.


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Joan rushes up to the dwarven banner man and grabs his shoulder, but not hard enough to risk leaving him open.

"We need to leave. They ain't going anywhere for a while."


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

With the duergar caught up in the web, Kib takes the time to think things over. Calling out to his allies, he says "I'll cover you! Get your sorry asses up there!"

Not being able to see if they do or not, Kib relies on his hearing to determine when his allies have begun ascending. When confident enough that they have, he positions himself in the tiny chimney only people of his size can fit in. Moving himself up several feet, he then pulls out a couple of wands.

First he casts fog cloud, hoping to obscure their pursuers. Then, after climbing a safe distance out of the way, he casts web again, aiming it at the bottom of the shaft, hoping to further block any possible pursuit.


Joan gets the bannerman up the rope.

duergar1:
CMB: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

CMB2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

A duergar struggles out of the web only to be engulfed in another web at the bottom.

second duergar:
Reflex: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Per:stonework: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
CMBagain: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

The new duergar notices that above him are climbers, and shouts in a strange language:
undercommon:
"Where did this passage come from?"


If Kib cast Fog Cloud, there isn't anyone anywhere noticing anything.


Fog cloud blocks sight but not sound. Climbing and hammering pitons still creates noise in a 10x10 shaft.

Climb: 4d20 ⇒ (1, 16, 14, 13) = 44

There is problem for a while as the late climbers fall, but they recover and begin the ascent. The lead climbers are about halfway (100') up the shaft. Kib is at the bottom of the chimney.


Re-dot.
Also, Marco...


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Polo.

Climb (next 6 rounds): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 261d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 171d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 181d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 201d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 171d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 131d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 261d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 221d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 171d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 251d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 221d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Joan continues to climb, being careful to avoid falling.


Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /6 Hps 58/58 AC 24 FF 23 T 11 CMD 21 (23D, 27 BR, 29 Trip) Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +3; Init +5 Per +7

"The duergar are muttering something back there, I don't think they have given up the pursuit."


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Kib keeps climbing...
1d20 ⇒ 19
1d20 ⇒ 18
1d20 ⇒ 12
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 3
1d20 ⇒ 10


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Khazad seems stuck where the handles end. He cries up: "Are there more handles ahead? I could use a rope here!"


Joan easily blazes a solid rope trail to 50' from the top.

Four humans are waiting at the top. Two have heavy crossbows. Two just hold large boulders.

"Drop your weapons down the shaft or you go with them."

Kib ascends about 150 feet. The shaft then angles to a 45 degree angle.


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19 to look for any signs of recognition which could help identify where the humans belong.

"If we drop them now, we will hurt our comrades who are still climbing. We're not dropping them until everyone is up here, no matter what."


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Does Kib still need climb checks? Can he hear what's going on in the other shaft? Regardless, he keeps climbing


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

"What if we just give them to you up there? I'd rather not lose my bow and my sword if I can help it."

Joan pauses until she gets the man's answer.


You hear a gravelly voice in the back.
"We don't need all them alive, shoot the ones that don't comply."

The first human takes a shot at Joan with a heavy crossbow.
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 201d10 ⇒ 7

DC17-5=DC12 climb check or a fall.

The others prepare to follow suit.

Kib is in the easy part of the chimney needing DC5 climb checks to advance. The chimney leads away from the shaft somewhat. Kib's magic has worn off, but he is getting closer to the top.


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Climb: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

"AGHH!"

Joan clings to the rope for dear life, but her arm is going numb from the wound in her shoulder where the bolt sunk in deep. She looks up at the top of the shaft and sees that she's likely to die if refuses. Her good hand grips the rope as she undoes her sword belt and then her quiver that held her arrows and her bow, sending them down the center of the shaft to avoid hitting anyone below her. She slowly climbs up the rest of the shaft, and by the time she gets to the top, she's panting from the pain and the exertion and her back is red with blood.


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

"By the gods, You killed Joan! You bastards!"

Khazad charges into the one who shot at Joan.

Init: 1d20 ⇒ 2
Atk: 1d20 + 9 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (13) + 9 + 2 - 1 = 23
Dmg: 1d12 + 7 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 7 + 3 = 19+1d6 ⇒ 4 acid


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Khazad, we're 50' down and in no position to attack. Besides that hit needed another 21 points of damage to kill me outright, and a failed climb check to do it via fall. I say we comply, there's no way we fight our way out of this one. They have to great of an advantage.


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

I didn't understand if you fell down or not? Because you succeeded at the Climb check but described as if you failed. If you fell down, Khazad does not see that you are hanging on and thinks you're dead.
We could take an advantage by virtue of Kib and Hon striking from the chimney exit. We don't know anything of our enemies yet, but that +5 did not look too scary...


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Which magic of Kib's has worn off?? And how many more climb checks are needed?

1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 5
1d20 ⇒ 3

And you still didn't answer if Kib can hear all that's going on or not?


Gallak uses disguise self to change his weapon's appearance and his miner's pick to his battleaxe, essentially switching them. Both stowed across his back and hidden behind the ledge he throws down his pick, disguised as an axe.
He climbs up the best he can taking his time, knowing it's a long way down.


Kib:
Kib is climbing inside the chimney. The chimney ascends for 150' then starts moving at a 45 degree angle away from the shaft. Perception DC 15 hears what is going on. The increased movement has worn off as you switch from vertical to incline. (rough calculations show it probably wore off before then, but I'd rather err on your side). Anyway, best case you will be on the surface in a minute.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

DM CM:

Ah, right forgot about expedious retreat. And ok, so how many more checks?

And here's the perception check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

right. will it change as he gets closer to the surface?


Joan continues to climb as Gallak casts a spell to change the appearance of his equipment. Kib ascends the easier portion of the chimney, slipping as he ascends the very steep incline. Hon's gaseous form has not appeared in sight yet, but your rough estimates show he is a minute or two away in gas form.

Perception:
1d20+4

The axe speaks to Khazad: "Don't drop me, I'd rather your throw me up there. I don't want duergar touching me."

Kib makes Perception DC 20:
As Kib climbs around the first corner, he notices the elemental in the stone wall ten feet ahead.

Kib missed Perception DC 20:
As Kib climbs around the first corner, the elemental appears out of the wall with a long, exaggerated finger over where his mouth would be.


"I'm unarmed and have a hurt human. Don't hit me--I'm coming up."

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Hon is drifting through the duergar, listening in, shaking his wispy form, still heading to the webbed chimney. Might pick me up some discarded and free weapons. Sell it for a profit or something.


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Nuuuuu! My bow... T^T


Moving the story along.
Joan and Big Mug continue to climb up. Joan notices the crossbowman gets his weapon reloaded. Another man leans over with a large vials with a dark yellow substance in it.

Kib continues his climb, oblivious to the sounds in the main shaft. Hon continues along as gaseous form, for the first time he is ignored as the duergar have to push through a section of webbing ahead.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

TWO sections of webbing...and fog ; ) Sooo, who's up? Or we're still out of rounds?


Kib is up--see above spoilers.

Joan and Big Mug are climbing out, with Gallak following after dropping a 'weapon'.

I assume others will be dropping weapons and climbing out without contradictory information.


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Khazad also doesn't want the Axe to get to the duergar, and throws it upwards.

Not sure if any rolls are required
Ranged Touch: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


As the others continue up the chimney, a loop of rope is put around Joan and the bannerdwarf as they emerge. The humans look down, "Get up here, we don't have all day."

Joan:
Standing in the back is a tall, older man. He is wearing a gold bracelet with Society of Secrets logo, the large O with two twisted S's in the sides of 'O'. Beside him is a woman with gray robes and some elven features. Four men in chain shirts with rapiers look on as if they are too good for the proceedings. They have have bracelets identical to the bracelet Hon wears with the same logo as the older man.


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Joan notes the garb and jewelry her captors are wearing.

"Why are you doing this?"


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Sorry! Both my laptop's are down. If you need to DMPC my PC, please do so.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Rounding the corner, Kibibblepep spies the damnable elemental, but sees it acting most strangely. Pulling out and pointing his wand of scorching ray at it her whispers fiercely, "What in bloody blazes do ye want with me now ye cursed pile o stinking rocks!"


Male Dwarf Fighter 4
Chainmail wrote:
"Get up here, we don't have all day."

"Neither have we", Khazad mutters under his breath as he gets up and surveys the strangers. Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12


Kib:
As soon as Kib pulls out his wand, the elemental retreats into the earth wall in front of him. The path to the top of the tunnel is now clear.

Nooses are passed over the heads of Khazad and Nar as they climb up the chimney. The duergar hoot in disappointment and shout up in common: "We want them dwarves, they are ours."

A mouse-faced tall, older man with a scraggly goatee is giving orders to the well armed and armored men as they round up the group. He is wearing a bracelet similar to Hon's but made out of gold with O with twisted S's in the sides. The group of men number about a dozen. Four men in chain shirts with rapiers look on with interest.

The mouse-faced man answers Joan. "You sure are complicating things here. Who sent you?"

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

<.< >.> uh oh. I may have dropped something back there. I'll just head on back. Catch up later...


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Making his way extra carefully and slowly, Kib continues to make his way up the shoot. As he does he keeps a wary eye out for the blasted elemental and wonders what in the blazes it was all about.

Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 1
Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 13
Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 14
Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 20

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

I'm a little confused how the druegar know exactly what's going on through all that distance and through the Fog, but mostly want to know, is Kragg DEAD dead, or unconscious? And what are Big Mug and Magnum up to? Oh, and has Hon still not even Reached the chimney yet? Aren't we out of rounds?


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

"No one. I am my own."

Joan grits her teeth and glares at the man.

"And there was no reason to attack me, or demand I drop my weapons. I had no reason to attack you or your men, nor was I planning to."

2,401 to 2,450 of 3,400 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Team Dwarf / Gnome in Elves vs Dwarves -- ELVES KEEP OUT All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.