Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Team Dwarf/Gnome in Elves vs Dwarves -- ELVES KEEP OUT (Inactive)

Game Master Chainmail

Homebrew old school campaign where elves and dwarves interact in an ever increasing way as the game continues.
current map


2,301 to 2,350 of 3,400 << first < prev | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | next > last >>

Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /6 Hps 58/58 AC 24 FF 23 T 11 CMD 21 (23D, 27 BR, 29 Trip) Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +3; Init +5 Per +7

CMB 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Not by a lot, but it should be enough


Nar's quick rush and attack on the druid leaves him speechless. As he cuts through his armor with ease, Nar realizes the druid is wearing decorative chainmail. It provides little armor benefit and the Gozreh duergar takes the war axe cut with a look of surprise.

The dark dwarf at Nar's feet is not happy either.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Continuing to speed along, Kib looks back over his shoulder, taunting the elemental "Rock's fer feet AND brains all right? Why ye keep followin' me when ye know ye'll never catch me ye worthless pile of gravel!" as he makes for the exit


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

"NAR! WE NEED TO GO, NOW!"

Hearing the others retreating, Joan takes the chance to run down the tunnel and for the exit.

Joan books it 120' down the tunnel.


Nar charges through the swarms and busts the druid hard with his axe, exposing his decorative armor for the sham it is. Joan sprints past the dark dwarves after Gallak distracts them with a well placed shove. Big Mug moves with the unconscious human ranger on his back a sunrod is clutched in the bannerdwarf's hand. Hon gently floats as mist down the passage. Kib continues to outdistance the elemental as they rush down the passage towards the exit, Kib sees the rungs up ahead. Khazad holds the tunnel junction, but fails to damage the column of four dwarves trying to force him back.

The druid has no stomach for battle, and looks ready to retreat behind the dark dwarves wearing real armor.

Order of Action
Gallak<---
Ddwarves
Joan
Nar
Magnum
BigMug
Hon(gas)
Kib
Elemental
Khazad


Gallak takes a swing at the downed Duergar, clipping the prone figure in the arm with a weighty strike before withdrawing to catch the group.
defensive: 1d20 + 5 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 5 - 4 = 181d12 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Nar! Khazad! COME ON!


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Somebody must get Kragg or if Khazad does this it means the enemies will block the passage


Nar clips the downed duergar barbarian as he moves by.
The druid retreats back withdrawing from combat. Nar finds himself facing the heavy armored dwarves in half plate.
Unfortunately they need to be lucky to hit him, and they are not.
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 121d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

In the more south passage the dwarves go after the fighter.
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 131d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Joan <--
Nar
Magnum
BigMug
Hon(gas)
Kib
Elemental
Khazad


Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /6 Hps 58/58 AC 24 FF 23 T 11 CMD 21 (23D, 27 BR, 29 Trip) Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +3; Init +5 Per +7

Nar will retreat down the passage and get Kragg


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Joan halts and looks back, she raises her voice as much as she can and shouts back along the cavern.

"NAR! KHAZAD! MOVE IT! WE NEED TO REGROUP!"

Delaying until Hon, Nar, and Khazad are retreating.


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Khazad will be the last to retreat. If he can do it this round, he will Withdraw. If he has to wait till next round, he will take Total Defense and then Withdraw.


DM rolls:
Stealth 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25

Joan Per DC25:
Joan turns and notices a dark gnome with two small shortswords stalked Nar and is waiting for him to rush past him. You can warn him if you notice him by reading this.


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22 Nope, not quite.


As Nar retreats, an undergnome attacks him from the east passage from ambush. The wasp swarm barely hiding his approach from the wary Joan.

Gnome attack:
Shortsword1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 191d4 + 2d6 ⇒ (4) + (4, 1) = 9AoO1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 211d4 ⇒ 2

As Nar emerges, his shield and heavy armor repulse the quick, agile attack of the little gnome.

Kib runs to the exit, and is under the ladder up. The elemental follows Kib, and actually is behind Kib's light source.

Big Mug waddles south with a squat walk resembling a duck with Magnum on his back.


Order of Action
Kib<---
Elemental<---
Khazad<---
Gallak<---
DDwarves


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Still invisible, Kib begins climbing the ladder as fast as he can.


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Once Nar passes him with Kragg in tow, Khazad withdraws, swinging wildly to keep the pursuers at bay.

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Slowly drifting along the ceiling, Hon listens in on the conversation. One of the tasks not excluded by this spell.


As Kib begins to climb (DC8 climb check) he sees the elemental arrive underneath.

Check: With a successful Climb check, you can advance up, down, or across a slope, wall, or other steep incline (or even across a ceiling, provided it has handholds) at one-quarter your normal speed. A slope is considered to be any incline at an angle measuring less than 60 degrees; a wall is any incline at an angle measuring 60 degrees or more.

A Climb check that fails by 4 or less means that you make no progress, and one that fails by 5 or more means that you fall from whatever height you have already attained.

Khazad<---
Gallak<---
DDwarves
Joan
Dark Gnome
Nar
Magnum
BigMug
Hon(gas)
Kib
Elemental


Gallak withdraws down the hallway, taking any fallen comrades not spoken for with him in his flight.


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Khazad Withdraws after Nar and Gallak, switching to Run when his comrades do.


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Coming out of delay after the dark Dwarves...Well since it's my turn anyway.

Joan waits until the Druegar round the corner after Khazad and looses two arrows in rapid succession

Rapid Shot
Attack 1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Confirm 1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Damage 1: 3d8 + 6 ⇒ (8, 6, 3) + 6 = 23 or 10 if not confirmed
Miss (21 or above hits): 1d100 ⇒ 6 NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
-----
Attack 2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Damage 2: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9 or 10 if not confirmed
Miss (21 or above hits): 1d100 ⇒ 76 damn.


Joan misses in the dark again. The retreat is orderly as everyone passes the chokepoint without incident.

Kib climb check 1d20 ⇒ 6
Not able to rise, Kib tries again as the elemental approaches.
Kib climb check 1d20 ⇒ 13


The dark dwarves follow, but seem to be holding back. They do seem to be taunting Nar as he holds the rear.

Hon:
The dark dwarves are discussing the whispy Hon. They want to know how to effect the magic.

Joan<----
Nar<---
Khazad
Magnum
BigMug
Hon(gas)
Kib
Gallak
Elemental


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Joan fires off two more arrows at the lead Duergar.

Attack 1: 1d20 + 4 - 2 - 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 - 2 - 4 = 11
Miss: 1d100 ⇒ 59
Attack 1: 1d20 + 4 - 2 - 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 - 2 - 4 = 0
Miss: 1d100 ⇒ 70

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Hon "engulfs" the nearest duergar enroute to the exit. He then proceeds onward to the next. Fun times


Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /6 Hps 58/58 AC 24 FF 23 T 11 CMD 21 (23D, 27 BR, 29 Trip) Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +3; Init +5 Per +7

Nar will scoop Kragg if he hasn't already and continue on.


Kib Climb roll 1 1d20 ⇒ 16 -pass
Kib Climb roll 2 1d20 ⇒ 17 -pass

Kib begins to climb up the rungs in the side of the air shaft and rushes up another 30 feet.
Joan fires to cover the retreat, but her aim is off. The orderly retreat continues down the passage to the south.

Gallak<---
Elemental

The earth elemental moves into the side of the air shaft and begins to move up the carved stone side after Kib. Unfortunately the earth elemental is either being careless or carefully destructive as he ascends after Kib. As he moves through the side of the shaft and passes up the stone handholds, he is either ripping them apart or pushing them to topple to the bottom of the passageway as he ascends. His speed seems to be equivalent to Kib's speed climbing, and the elemental is about 20 feet up the shaft and Kib is about 35 feet up the shaft. A dusting of powdered earth begins to fall into the five by five foot space at the bottom of the shaft. A collection of a few chiseled out stone handholds begins to form at the bottom of the airshaft.


Traveling over the weekend.

Kib:
Kib climb x22d20 ⇒ (2, 2) = 4Elemental conceal1d100 ⇒ 48

Kib attempt to climb up, but is unable to progress. The elemental gets upon him and is right next to Kib in the stone 35' up, but fails to grab him.

Joan sprints down the cave followed by Gallak.

Big Mug is behind them, Khazad then Nar lag near the back.

The dark dwarves are half-heartedly pursuing, and Kib is having difficulty climbing, but the handholds below him are gone.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

In general, while I don't mind, and actually prefer, the DM to make passive rolls for my PC (Perception, Knowledge, Sense Motive etc.) I prefer to make my own action rolls. And how was it Kib's turn to go again when he just went last post and you indicated to was the elemental's turn? Also, how did the elemental move and also destroy the rungs at the same time? I had a move I was going to do for Kib on his next turn. Finally, is the elemental visible in the shaft? Or what's it's position exactly?


Kib:
We will ignore any climbing rolls I made if you like, I was trying to move things along as posting has severely dropped off, but the rest of the party was two full rounds from reaching the opening. The elemental is freely moving through the earth at half speed taking extra time to make the stone handholds unuseable as he ascends behind you. Climbing up the wet handholds is Climb DC8. We can retro the two rounds of climbing if you wish.


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Joan continues her sprint to the stairs out. Move 120' to the exit.


Kib:
I have spun things back three full rounds between Kib and the elemental as they were far enough from the others.

Meanwhile....back at the air shaft...as the party rushes to approach...what has happened in the last 30 seconds between Kib and the elemental?

Kib(move to get under ladder, std left)<<<
Elemental(moves under the stone 'ladder')
Kib<<<
Elemental
Kib
Elemental

Climb rules:
(DC8 climb check)
Check: With a successful Climb check, you can advance up, down, or across a slope, wall, or other steep incline (or even across a ceiling, provided it has handholds) at one-quarter your normal speed. A slope is considered to be any incline at an angle measuring less than 60 degrees; a wall is any incline at an angle measuring 60 degrees or more.

A Climb check that fails by 4 or less means that you make no progress, and one that fails by 5 or more means that you fall from whatever height you have already attained.

And from the archives...it was only hours ago, but it seems like days when..........
The dwarves appear in a circle with Liselle at the base of a huge (4000' high) mountain by a running stream. A 200 foot deep, ten feet by ten feet air shaft descends into the rock below. Rough hand and footholds are carved in the north side of the shaft for descent into the mountain. Someone has recently chiseled a gear at the lip of the top of the shaft.

The stream seems to turn an iron set of paddle wheels near the air shaft. Air is blowing down the air shaft at a decent rate. As the stream eddies near the paddle wheels the air flow decreases slightly.


Meanwhile, at the rearguard of the withdrawal.

A duergar gives half-hearted chase, more concerned with keeping hidden behind his tower shield from the arrows that Joan was firing than keeping on Nar's heels. The whipping Nar gave the druid is also fresh in the minds of some of the pursuers as they chat among themselves in undercommon.


Gallak curses at the lack of hand holds, but readies some basic climbing gear and attacks the wall anyways, positioning himself in a corner and bracing against the walls.
climb: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Hearing some kind of rumble ahead, Khazad rushes onwards to help with whatever obstacles the avantguard might be facing.
Running towards the exit as fast as I can, until I'm within charging distance.


Climbing in the corner is DC 17 (+2 for slick, -5 for corner).


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Ok, cool, thanks Chainmail. Will post a little later, but if Kib gets lucky, there might still be handholds! And how close is the elemental to him right now?


Kibibblepep Sparkle Eye wrote:
Ok, cool, thanks Chainmail. Will post a little later, but if Kib gets lucky, there might still be handholds! And how close is the elemental to him right now?

Kib:
70' after a full move at 50' with a std action left. The posted action was move to the handholds and climb, but no climb rolls was made. I then posted the climb reference and the DC. Only then did I begin to roll.

Kibibblepep Sparkle Eye wrote:
Still invisible, Kib begins climbing the ladder as fast as he can.

What about this?


Kib<<<<

I will move things along tonight.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Sorry! I am here. Not sure what you meant with your last question though?

As he arrives at the ladder to the surface, Kib begins to climb with a purpose, slipping the first time but then finding his rhythm.
MA: Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 2
SA: Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 16

He continues to climb, constantly keeping an eye out for the Elemental to appear below him. As soon as he sees the creature he blasts it with his wand of scorching ray.
MA: Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 16
SA: Ranged touch attack: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 4 + 1 = 23
Damage: 4d6 ⇒ (6, 5, 1, 2) = 14

After the blast he climbs and fires once again.
MA: Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 18
SA: Ranged touch attack: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 1 = 7
Damage: 4d6 ⇒ (3, 6, 5, 6) = 20

I THINK that catches Kib up? If I missed anything let me know.

We Are using Hero Points, right? If so, I'd like to use one to re-roll that ranged touch attack. SA: Ranged touch attack: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 4 + 1 = 15


Hero points were post Core.
Kib climbs up 25 feet and zaps the elemental with fire as he appears. The elemental rushes up to attack the gnome, passing through the very earth and stone as a fish through water.

The elemental attempts to hammer the gnome with his massive bulk.
to hit/dam: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 91d6 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;
Chainmail wrote:

Hero points were post Core.

Kib attempts to hammer the gnome with his massive bulk.

huh?


Kib is 25' up the ladder (.25x100') and the elemental is 20' up the stone/earth chimney. Elemental does slam attacks--maybe the description is off.
Kib fires at point blank range narrowly missing with his wand.


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

@ Chainmail: You said that KIb was basically attacking himself.
Can we get a rundown of where we're at right now?


With a lack of momentum, the elemental tries to hit Kib again.
Hit/damage: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 251d6 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
confirm/damage: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 241d6 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

The elemental hits Kib in the groin and Kib hangs on desperately.
17 hp of physical damage

The elemental continues his path of devastation past Kib leaving him little to hang onto.

Kib can A try to hang on with DC 15 climb or B voluntarily leap and try the DC 15 acrobatics check to take only 1d6 nonlethal.

Joan and Gallak will arrive after this Using a double move. The slower dwarves are still down the hallway.


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

I know I am dead, but the elemental can attack, move, and break the handholds all in one turn?


I'm lost and have some of the same questions everyone is asking. How'd the elemental break the hand holds, just by moving through them? How far up is Kib? Why was he attacked multiple times? What's the status of the rest of the group and the duergar?


Kib did not want me DMPCing his character, so we wound it back two full rounds of DMPCing. I am treating the earth glide ability of earth elementals as optional, they do not have to move through all earth and stone. The earth elemental after the revised sequence had to move up to Kib to attack the first time. The second round he attacks and moves. To take the time to push the handholds aside I had the elemental moving at half speed while chasing Kib to reflect taking the time to move under the stone at the right depth to break and push out rock handholds. If this seems unreasonable for an earth elemental, let me know.

The handholds up to 20' are still intact. The elemental is 30' off the ground.

2,301 to 2,350 of 3,400 << first < prev | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Team Dwarf / Gnome in Elves vs Dwarves -- ELVES KEEP OUT All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.