Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Team Dwarf/Gnome in Elves vs Dwarves -- ELVES KEEP OUT (Inactive)

Game Master Chainmail

Homebrew old school campaign where elves and dwarves interact in an ever increasing way as the game continues.
current map


2,201 to 2,250 of 3,400 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>

Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Since Kib did indeed cast invisibility on Khazad, he should be behind where Khazad was, yes?


Khazad charged after the invisibility, so Kib is fine where he is.
As Nar's channel washes over Khazad healing another 7, it is quite apparent that it was a gnome and a dwarf that interfered. The potbellied dark dwarf is quick to point it out, "Ye dwarves are healing him tow. I'm interfering now tow." The Gozreh cleric speaks in a strange accent.


KnLocal: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
or
Linguistics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Weeeell, that's just account o' him gettin' hit afore, so it dinnae count.

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Thinking twice about the potion, Hon takes another shot with the crossbow. He stays close to the dwarf to avoid getting speared.
+3 Crossbow of distance,repeating heavy: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 8 + 2 = 22; Damage 1d10 ⇒ 9
(+3 magic, +2 BAB, +1 Dex,+1 Feat,+1banner, +2 flank)
Crit Autoroll1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20; Damage 1d10 ⇒ 3

undercommon:
Just having a bit of fun spilling a bit of blood. Mostly mine but I do what I can.


Gallak:
Gallak is sure that the duergar cleric of Gozreh has spent much time amongst surface humans, probably near the town you helped with the bug problem.


Nice accent, skyborn.
CommonThis Gozrip fella' is from roundabouts those fire-spitting skitters, h'aint that a happening?


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Cursing as the foolishly honourable fighter wastes a perfectly good, (and expensive!) Spell, Kib grumbles to himself "Well fine, if he doesn't want to use it..." and casts the spell once more, this time on himself, whereupon he moves to scout ahead South, quietly slipping past the combatants and stepping softly so as not to alert the elemental.
Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Will save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Nice roll but I don't think I actually want to use it... I'll ask the axe to deal nonlethal damage instead.
This time, Khazad did not want to submit to the enemy terms and fight unarmed, as the rage was still boiling in his blood and he saw that the skirmish around him continues and his allies are being hurt. But he couldn't disgrace himself by slaying an unarmed enemy either. So when the opportunity to strike arose, he used the flat of the blade, followed up by a bludgeon with the hilt.
Same conditions as before, but +1 to Atk and Dmg for Inspire Courage. Extra 1d6 and no penalty from the Merciful property. HP 36/40.
AOO: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (13) + 15 = 28
Dmg: 1d12 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + 8 + (1) = 10 nonlethal
Atk: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21
Dmg: 1d12 + 11 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 11 + (1) = 17 nonlethal
"YOUR FIGHT IS LOST, DARK DWARF. SUBMIT AND LIVE ANOTHER DAY."


Khazad gets his first swing in, doing less damage than he would have expected. Undeterred, the large duergar grabs for the axe.
CMB 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
He gets a firm grip on the large axe, and Khazad and the barbarian find themselves wrestling for control of the mighty axe.
Flashback to Kragg grabbing it from Durnak weeks ago. Khazad needs a CMB roll to keep from getting it ripped from his hands. Remember Kragg pulled this maneuvre off prone on slippery snow.

Kib drinks his potion and moves forward. The earth elemental moves through the earth to appear behind Khazad. It reaches two burly earth arms to help the duergar gain possession of the axe.
CMB aid1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Order of Action
Khazad<---
Nonbarbarian Dark dwarves
Nar
Gallak
Magnum
Joan
Hon
Kib
Duegar Barbarian jumping Khazad
Elemental


That is one highly unusual disarm. Is this a house rule for opposed CMB, or the magic of the axe?


The house rule started when Kragg grabbed the axe from Durnak out of desperation under similar circumstances. Rather than disallow it, I had to improvise and throw in a little 'possession combat', a decent gaming device from another RPG. Rather than have the disarm succeed, the decision was to allow the dramatic struggle for a weapon if someone make the CMD+4 check.


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

EDIT: I just realized my last few rolls were inflated because I factored in the charge bonus to AB when I wasn't charging! Sorry about that DM Chainmail, hopefully I didn't force you to retcon anything!
AOO should have been 26 and the normal attack a 19. I've fixed the CMB below already.

CMB roll: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29


Will save barb:
1d20 ⇒ 14

"I am not going to try to train another meathead to use me properly."
The axe slips out of the duergar's hands and Khazad firmly gains control and finished up with his nonlethal backhand strike hitting after a less effective overhand swing. 27 nonlethal total


The Gozreh priest says, "I'll learn yous. Who's be callin may trayhugger.
"
He advances taking out a scroll, as he reads it, a dimensional portal begins to form.

DM roll:
Caster check 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7 Mishap 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Spellcraft 19:
Summon Natures Ally 4 - spell was cast improperly.


Spellcraft: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Well now, none o' that, Gallak admonishes, punctuating his statement with a flick of his wrist and a keening whistle.
Daze, DC 12, and forcing concentration of 12+spell level.


The reading of the scroll does not go as planned, and the dimensional portal flickers erratically and folds.
Hon takes a shot from a ranseur.
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 112d4 + 6 ⇒ (4, 1) + 6 = 11

Joan gets two attacks from a war axe and a spear. Using her keen hearing, she deftly dodges both blows.
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 141d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 161d10 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 61d8 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Khazad sees two duergar in breastplates running to relieve the lone duergar blocking the way out. In the distance are two more in half plate moving much slower. The duergar has taken a massive beating and has stayed on his feet.
Reinforcements added to map.

Nar<---
Magnum<---
Joan<---
Hon
Kib
Duegar Barbarian
Elemental
Khazad
Gallak
Other Ddwarves


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Attack:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 a miss

Joan manages to mostly avoid one blow, only glancing off her chain shirt harmlessly. The other, though comes much closer to hurting her as it slides across her torso, rattling chain, nicking her belt, and jostling her swing. As she steps back from the exchange, she feels at the loose leather.

"Guys, are we clear yet? I don't know how much longer I can keep dodging!"

There's a quiver in her voice hinting at the fear starting to rise as their retreat becomes a siege.

I'm starting to wonder if we are going to make it out alive at this rate.


Gallak pushed Joan out of the way on account of her (at the time) lowered health and reasonably low AC, given the dark. None of the attacks on her mentioned hit her square, but, she should be behind Gallak.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Yup! Sure looks like it may be a last stand. Did Kib get moved up his full 30'? (With Expeditious Retreat)


Kib moved as close to Khazad as he could.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

No, that was the round before that he moved to Khazed to turn him invisible, this last round Kib turned invisible and moved forward as far as he could. Being small he can move through occupied squares, no? Is an Acrobatics roll needed even when he's invisible?


With expeditious retreat, Kib can move through at full speed. I ignored the fact that Kib would probably not know that earth elementals have tremorsense, I will resolve this tomorrow.


Kib:
As Kib moves past the epic struggle between the barbarian and Kragg, both combatants seem oblivious to the struggle. The earth elemental, however, is another story. This one seems different than the others and is wearing a dripping leaf holy symbol around his neck made from an exotic metal, probably adamantite. He leaps and delivers an attack as Kib moves by and turns and follows his progress as he moves past the combatants.1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 241d6 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11 Following Kib through the wall he appears in the wall next to Kib poised to leap at him and croaks in common, "I think you want to stop there." This is not a summoned creature.


Note:Gallak mentioned earlier that the elementals will sense you if you are touching the ground.


Nar<---
Magnum<---
Joan Attacked
Hon<---
Kib<---
Duegar Barbarian
Elemental
Khazad
Gallak
Other Ddwarves


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Wouldn't the elemental still have to beat Kib's stealth roll?


Tremorsense can automatically pinpoint the location of anything that is in contact with the ground. Aquatic creatures with tremorsense can also sense the location of creatures moving through water. The ability’s range is specified in the creature’s descriptive text.

Note that PINPOINT is the same language used in Blindsense, and suggests that concealment (in this case total) still applies.


Gallak, thanks for correcting me. Concealment applies although the elemental knows exactly where you are.
01-50 the AoO on Kib misses. Nevermind, no damage 1d100 ⇒ 32

Realizing attacking Kib isn't as easy as he thought, instead of waiting for Kib to stop, the elemental will try to grapple Kib with his action rather than delay.
01-50 the grapple on Kib misses. 1d100 ⇒ 55CM roll1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
The elemental grabs ahold of Kib before he can get much farther. Kib is grappled by the earth creature.


Gallak winces as the elemental picks up a tiny invisible bit of air, and hopes the little gnome has the presence of mind to grease himself, before returning his attention to the wind-worshiper.


Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /6 Hps 58/58 AC 24 FF 23 T 11 CMD 21 (23D, 27 BR, 29 Trip) Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +3; Init +5 Per +7

Nar would yell at Joan to get out of his way, since he goes before can he delay until after shegoes assuming she can still make a 5' move choice?


Joan moves South 5 feet.
Nar can jump in.


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Works for me. Can I also put away my sword as I step back?


Gallak pushed Joan out of his way several rounds ago, and should be in her location. I'm not sure if that wasn't clear at the time, or what, but Joan should occupy G-17, and Gallak will step to H-18 at Nar's request.
If you're wondering how Gallak pushed Joan out of the way, he combined his move with a voluntary overrun, and no one said anything untoward about the maneuver as at the time, Joan was blind in the dark with a handful of hits left.

Edit: Joan could have chosen to occupy H-18 at the time, in which case Gallak steps to I-17 out of Nar's way.


Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /6 Hps 58/58 AC 24 FF 23 T 11 CMD 21 (23D, 27 BR, 29 Trip) Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +3; Init +5 Per +7

Nar jumps back into the fight swinging his waraxe with fury!

Attack with Waraxe 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Damage 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


The only problem is Gallak would be casting from a threatened square when casting Daze--(let's assume a defensive casting check succeeded). I have Nar facing the dark dwarves now with Joan adjacent (down) in the south hall and Gallak adjacent (left) in the west hall.

Hon<---
Kib<---
Duegar Barbarian
Elemental
Khazad
Gallak
Other Ddwarves


I had forgotten that, yes. Whatever works, the map looks good to me now, except Hon's in two squares.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

What is the elemental's CMB?


Kib:
Wrestling with it, you get an idea this is a more domesticated one. Tied to the Gozreh priest. CMB=16. Explains why communication with this one is the exception.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

There was also this in connection with being grappled and invisible, but not sure if it applies with Tremorsense or not, and looks like the elemental would've met it with a roll of 14 anyway. Unless it has to beat the CMB and not just equal it? " If a grappled creature becomes invisible, through a spell or other ability, it gains a +2 circumstance bonus on its CMD to avoid being grappled, but receives no other benefit."

Escape Artist attempt DC? =CMD: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

Knowing it would be almost impossible for him to get off a spell in the stone creature embrace, the small sorcerer tries his best to wriggle free, swearing profusely in Dwarven the entire time.


As Nar misses the dwarf, Kib snakes free of the elemental and debates escaping further down the tunnel, possibly opening himself up to another attack.

The large barbarian steps back and reluctantly draws a greatsword and readies for Khazad's approach. He might be able to withstand another blow, but then he might not.
"I would have preferred to duel under the Wheatfield Accords. It would have been glorious. But I held."
He smiles as the sees the advancing column from his right.
Magnum throws the hammer blindly at the dwarf engaging Nar. He curses as the darkness causes him to narrowly miss the duergar's head.
1d100 ⇒ 171d20 ⇒ 201d4 ⇒ 2

Hon<--
Kib move left
Khazad<--
Gallak<==
Elemental
Other Ddwarves
Nar
Joan
Magnum
BigMug


"I got your flank Khazad." Noticing barbarian's step and that the elemental is chasing Kib grant the bannerman an opportunity. Big Mug holds the banner and rushes to block the side passage.

"You shall not pass." The portly dwarf goes into a formidable defensive stance. "Finish this."


Wheatfield, Gallak muses, nice little short fella. Don't generally trust short people, he mumbles to no one in particular, preparing to counter the cleric's magic.

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

I am back. I wonder how many times I can miss shooting this dang dark dwarf in the back at point blank range. Lets provoke AO instead. It is getting crowded. Too crowded. If he survives this, his movement will be towards H15 through H16.

Hon quaffs a potion of gaseousess.


Hon Semparatus wrote:

I am back. I wonder how many times I can miss shooting this dang dark dwarf in the back at point blank range. Lets provoke AO instead. It is getting crowded. Too crowded. If he survives this, his movement will be towards H15 through H16.

Hon quaffs a potion of gaseousess.

Hon steps towards the pole armed wielder Five foot step and enjoys the look of helplessness on his face as he drinks a potion and turn gaseous. Leaves no movement, but probably better.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Didn't the elemental already have it's AoO on Kib? If so, would be great to save this 20! ; )
Acrobatics to move through threatened square: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

Not wanting to be anywhere near the elemental, after squirming out, Kib ducks and rolls, coming out into the light.

Can Kib see the Cleric at the end of the hall to the north, staying in tee light.


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Khazad smiles as the Barbarian gets himself armed again. He raises the Axe in a salute as the edge becomes moist with acid again.
To the Axe:"Now let's finish this."
To the DDwarf:"Maybe next time. We'll be back for our brethren you captured."

Power Attack: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27
Damage: 1d12 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23 + 1d6 ⇒ 5 acid

and the Rage spell ends.


The duergar gets off a massive swing as Khazad closes, but it fails to connect.
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 162d6 + 13 ⇒ (3, 6) + 13 = 22

Khazad hits with devastating force leaving a hissing of acid behind as the duergar topples to the ground unconscious.

Kib escapes and speeds south (50') pursued by the elemental.

Trying to reclaim the intersection, the lead dwarf rushes Big Mug and slams into him with a crunch, 1d20 ⇒ 15 and moves the dwarf grudgingly back a step.


Damn Kib, levitate or ropetrick or something. Expeditious, at least.
Gallak grinds his teeth as he waits for the Cleric's inevitable call on his god, but smirks viciously as the barbarian goes down.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Ah, he's Gnome? Being buffed with Expeditious is why he got 50' in the first place. Can't levitate, rope trick does nothing, just takes Kib out of the fight while the elemental simply stands underneath waiting for him to come down again.

Still waiting to see if Kib can see the far end of the Northern hall where the cleric is?


The two dark dwarves attack Nar and miss cursing. Nar will be hard for them to hit! The potbellied priest moves up, waves his staff, and swarms of wasps cover Nar, Gallak, and Joan. They are stung and bit and feel some effect from the stings. The elemental races after Kib, just a step behind him. Big Mug easily keeps his feet as a spear is aimed at his feet.

rolls:
vs Nar2d20 ⇒ (9, 17) = 26vs Big Mug 1d20 ⇒ 10

Joan/Nar/Gallak2d6 ⇒ (2, 5) = 72d6 ⇒ (2, 3) = 52d6 ⇒ (3, 3) = 6and fort DC13 or -1 Dex
Good guys up--Order of action
Gallak-delay
Nar<---
Joan<---
Magnum<--
BigMug
Hon(gas)
Kib
Khazad(invis)
Elemental
Other Ddwarves

Kn:Religon or Arcana DC10:
The Gozreh worsipper is probably a druid.

Kib:
The ladder up is ahead. About 350 feet to go--you can't see the light yet---post after climbing down:'After heading 400 feet under the mountain, you encounter the first of two four way intersections (all branches 5 feet wide)'

2,201 to 2,250 of 3,400 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Team Dwarf / Gnome in Elves vs Dwarves -- ELVES KEEP OUT All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.