Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Team Dwarf/Gnome in Elves vs Dwarves -- ELVES KEEP OUT (Inactive)

Game Master Chainmail

Homebrew old school campaign where elves and dwarves interact in an ever increasing way as the game continues.
current map


2,151 to 2,200 of 3,400 << first < prev | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | next > last >>

Excerpts from Big Mugs journal------
Have not used this literary device enough (I am mostly back from carporal tunnel surgery).

The battle in the tunnels grew desperate as we were beset from two sides and cut off from the surface. The dark dwarves used a devastating tactic of elementals to move through dirt and walls and polearms backed up by a solid defender or expendable elemental. We were promised to be ransomed if we surrender, but you never know with deep dwarves. The barbarian duergar was a skilled warrior capable of vicious two handed blows while enraged.

Order of Action
Magnum 13
Duergar 13
Earth Elementals 6
Big Mug 5
Joan 18 <---
Hon 17 <---
Kib 17 <---
Khazad 16 <---
Gallak 16 <---
Nar 14<---
The dark dwarf adds, "This smacks of a human plot to get the mines to themselves."


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Joan bites down a scream as steel bits deep into her thigh. Blood flowed freely, and her vision swam. She would be standing much longer if she took another hit like that.

Then came the call to surrender.

Anger white-hot and pure burns in her heart as she screams defiance.

Dwarven: "F!*& THAT! DEATH OR FREEDOM!"

Attack (2-hands): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Damage (2-hands): 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

In case you haven't noticed, Joan's not the surrendering type. Hopefully the next hit won't kill her.
OH and before I forget. Hey Chainmail Glad your back!
Should I be rolling up another character now?


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

And neither is Khazad - he tries to be as close to a paladin as he can get without actually being one.
The deep wounds send ripples of searing pain through Khazad's body. He takes a step back closer to Nar to give himself a moment to recover, then uncorks a potion and gulps it. He feels the pain fade into backround, giving place to the overwhelming anger. He lets go of Kragg's body and grips the axe with both hands, ready to cut through the enemies or die trying.
"YOU WANT ME?! COME AND GET ME, BLOODY DIRT-EATERS!"
Rage for 3 rounds. HP 19/40, Str 19, Con 19, Saves 9/4/6, AC 20/10/19


"I can hold the line for a while."
Big Mug prepares to move forward if no one engages the elemental and barbarian team blocking the exit.


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

My idea was to buff/patch up this turn and then crush the enemies to pieces. If someone moves to the front line he'd better be able to attack the elemental. Also if someone knows a cunning tactic I'm all ears.


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Pray that we get really, really, really lucky? Sorry I've got nothing other than having Kib start casting MM to clear a path. BTW if Chainmail rolls a 9 on the damage roll, Joan's a goner. I think I'm rolling a barbarian next time.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Seeing the damage the barbarian is causing and knowing they need their way forward cleared, Kib steps ahead and casts Grease on the Dark Dwarves fearsome weapon.
Ref DC15


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Kib, please have your alter ego report to the Last Chance discussion thread. Your the only one missing.

linky!

I just remembered I never rolled for concealment.
Concealment 20 or lower fails: 1d100 ⇒ 71 Woo Hoo! Joan's likely last act of defiance hits!

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

For all those who question the loyalty of Hon... ;-)

Hon reaches into his pouch pulling out a small flask and downs it without further ado. He fades away into nothingness.

Chainmail:
Hon quaffs his potion of invisibility and directs his movement to H14. Acrobatic to invisibly move past both DarkDwarves: 1)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 2)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Next round plans: flank and sneak attack with warhammer.

See there I go again, playing the hero. Should've been a warrior.


CMB rolls in web:
2d20 ⇒ (8, 4) = 12

Hon disappears in plain sight of both the dwarves. Nevertheless he effortlessly sneaks past both dwarves hugging the right wall. He notices a lone dwarf has made it out of the web in the back armed with a tower shield and waraxe.
Perception:
2d20 ⇒ (18, 1) = 19

Kib has heard the clash of arms in the darkness ahead, but cannot see as the inky blackness is pierced only by the eyes capable of darkvision.
Given the sound ahead and information from the retreating Kragg, Kib could target blindly making the dreaded concealment roll.


"Well, I will not go down without creating a massive underground quake. Anybody got a better idea?"


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

"Not really... 'Least it's better'n gettin' mauled ta death by a badger."


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

As I posted, Kib stepped ahead. He would've heard Khazad, so all he would need to do is move 15' to see, realize who put the hurt on Khazad (perhaps by, say, seeing the bloody axe) and cast his grease. If this still doesn't work for you I'll have him do something else


Order of Action
Magnum 13
Duergar 13
Earth Elementals 6
Big Mug 5
Joan 18 hit ddwarf
Hon 17 moved invis
Kib 17 grease into darkness
Khazad 16 rage potion
Gallak 16 <---
Nar 14<---

Looks like Gallak and Nar are up.
Kib, the grease into darkness on a weapon will need a concealment roll without darkvision.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

I'm not understanding the issue here CM? Kib only had to move forward 10 or 15' to be out of the darkness, right?


I have the darkness on the map. The duergar barbarian has a twenty foot radius darkness centered on his body. One of the other dark dwarves has darkness. That leaves a five foot by ten foot section of dim light between the two groups. Magnum is standing in one patch of dim light, the other patch is empty.

"See if you can hit me. Sod you you sodding sods."
Big Mug races up to engage the elemental.


Nar channels the power of Angradd, and the proximity of the mines and the dwarven banner provides a huge infusion of positive energy.

The following roll provides double healing.
2d6 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5
10hp of healing to all but Hon.


"All for one and one to kick a$$!"


Save duergar:
Ref/conceal 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 151d100 ⇒ 53

The dark dwarf manages to avoid dropping his glaive although Kib puts a grease spell perfectly on his weapon.
As Big Mug engages the earth elemental, the barbarian steps back five feet and readies an attack.
"You got spirit, coming at me with a flag. I will not strike an unarmed man. Where are your fighters, dwarf!" The dark dwarf orders the elemental: "Stand down unless the try to magic me or double team me. Anyone wanna try to take me?" The earth elemental moves into the side passage.
Gallak delays as he 'pinned' in the right passage and decides not to chance a run by.
The two dwarves hammer at the recently healed Joan.
Dwarf with war axe then dwarf with spear1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 101d10 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 131d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 141d8 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Joan deftly avoids both a war axe and longspear.
Magnum speaks, "Way to hang in there."

CMB rolls in web:
1d20 ⇒ 2

A clumsy duergar still remains stuck in the northern web.

Order of Action

Barbarian ready
Elemental ready
Gallak<--
Magnum<--
Joan 18 <---
Hon 17 <---
Kib 17 <----
Khazad 16 <--
Gallak 16 <---
Nar 14<---
Nonbarbarian Dark dwarves


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Attack (2-hands): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Damage (2-hands): 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Concealment (Low Misses): 1d100 ⇒ 38

The bleeding stopped and her leg felling much better, Joan moves like a dancer. The battered ranger spins around the axe swing and under the spear-tip before plunging in with her sword again.


Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /1
Stats:
Hps 13/13 AC 18 FF 16 T 12 CMD 16 (19 BR& 17 Trip) Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +0 (+3 vs poison, spell and SLA) Init +4 Per +0

Chainmail thanks for the reminder. This game hadn't been updating for me. My bad, I should have been chacking more often

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Observing the Dark Dwarf taking another stab at Joan with the spear, and well aware of the Armored Tank behind him, he takes careful aim as these opportunities come so rarely.

A sneak attack:
+3 Crossbow of distance,repeating heavy: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 8 + 2 = 15; Damage 1d10 ⇒ 4
(+3 magic, +2 BAB, +1 Dex,+1 Feat,+1banner, +2 flank)
Crit Autoroll1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23; Damage 1d10 ⇒ 2
Sneak dmg roll:2d6 ⇒ (4, 2) = 6

I am very disappointed. A +10 to attack and I probably still miss. Can't even get the upper 50% of damage.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Ah! So strange. Although I must have seen it, I was not until now consciously aware that the barbarian had darkness around him too. My apologies. And just as a reminder, the barb has to make that Ref check every round, right?

Moving forward, Kib taps Khazad on the back with a wand of invisibility whispering "Go kill that bastard!" as the hearty fighter disappears from all sight.


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Kib, that barbarian just challenged us to a duel. Khazad is LG fighter, not a CG Rogue. Any chance of revising that action?
HP 29/40


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Like giving it to the CG Ranger with 8 CON?


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Ah, ok, hmm. Gave it to Khazad as I figured it would allow him to get close enough to damage the Barb without getting an AoO, but I see your point. I don't really see much benefit giving it to Joan at this point, unless she wants to use it to escape? This damn darkness has Kib so limited in options! grrr (meaning, 'Nice move, GM' ; ) Can't fireball the dwarves as Hon is there now, coal in the christmas stocking for him. Um, ok, if DM C allows it, this instead...

Not sure what to do, Kib does the only thing he can think of to help even the odds for those without Darkvision. Swapping one of his wands, he causes billowing fog to flow out 20' on all sides of him. "There ye bastards! How do ye like not being able ta see!"

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Whaddyamean coal in my stocking? . You dim gnome, I mean, dim-vision gnome can't see me. Quit your meta belly-aching and Fire Up The Damn Grill already!


Hon's shot at point blank range fails to penetrate the dark dwarf's half plate armor. He looks over his shoulder at Hon.

Undercommon:
"You little sneak. You'll pay."

Magnum exclaims, "I almost tossed my hammer where Hon is."

Kib does make Khazad invisible, but Khazad can dispel it at any time. The axe likes being invisible, "Let's bushwack the silly bugger. The gnome has the right of it." the axe exclaims.

If Khazad doesn't want to attack while invisible, he needs to make a Will save.


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

To the Axe:
"What is this? Are you afraid to attack him openly? Remember the last time you tried to ambush someone unseen?"
Will save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
I hope that's good enough?

Khazad blinks out of view for a moment, but quickly returns with a mighty roar.
"I AM THE SERVANT OF ROCK STONECRUSHER, WIELDER OF THE AXE OF DURNAK! YOU SHALL LET US PASS!"; the earth rumbles beneath Khazad's feet as he charges at the long-haired barbarian with a mighty swing, his mind fully focused on the one goal of bringing his foe down.

Banner, Charge, Power Attack, Rage
Atk: 1d20 + 9 + 1 + 2 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 9 + 1 + 2 - 1 + 2 = 20
Dmg: 1d12 + 2 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 2 + 6 + 3 = 14 + 1d6 ⇒ 4 acid


Gallak pulls the healed Joan out of the hallway and valiantly takes up her vigil, twirling his blood-covered axe with a maniacal grin on his face.
Ho-oh! This 'aint no Human plan to take the mine. IT'S A DWARVEN ONE!
At the call to surrender, Gallak roars laughter.
Ransom ta who, eh?
All the while, he taps out the ballad of Rognar Pass, where three dwarves held off the tribe of five hundred orcs, inspiring his companions to new heights of courage.

Inspire +1. We do actually kindof need a better plan to leave. Not that the "attack a duergar outpost without a plan or any intelligence" was a horrible plan to begin with, but, perhaps we should regroup? Find out firsthand what's going on here? Also, sorry for the delay- it was also not updating for me. Joan, sorry for sticking you in a corner, but, maybe head for the unoccupied dim light square?


Khazad refuses the aid of the invisibility and shrugs it off charging the barbarian. With a mighty yell the duergar gives a mighty yell and prepares to meet Khazad's charge. The dark dwarves in northern hallway are drawn to the clash of the mighy warriors. As Khazad gets within ten feet the barbarian manages a mighty swing. He controls the unwieldy weapon like a master, and quickly gets off another mighty swing before the mighty axe gets within range.

Barbarian attack:
1d20 + 6 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 4 - 2 = 131d20 + 6 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 4 - 2 = 14

Both blows glance harmlessly off Khazad's armor. The weakness of the charging dwarf cannot be taken advantage of by the shaggy dark warrior.

Khazad closes and lands a heavy blow, the hiss of acid remains as the axe leaves a corrosive touch behind in addition to the huge gash in the duergar's armor.14physical+4acid

With a grim smile, the dark dwarf prepares to counter.

Although fascinated somewhat by the duel, the dwarf north of Hon moves into flanking position with his ranseur. He speaks to Hon in broken common, "Ye gonna wait and watch this with us, or we fighting too?"

The dwarf on the other side replies, "I get my shot."
Hon takes a vicious greatsword swing. 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 212d6 + 6 ⇒ (5, 6) + 6 = 17
The huge swing opens a huge gash in Hon's side, but he hangs onto consciousness. 17 physical

CMB roll:
1d20 ⇒ 11

Finally, a dwarf with a huge potbelly, barely contained under a suit of jet black chain mail bursts out of the web to the north. He is out of breath and sweat runs in rivulets down his neck as he is obviously out of shape. By his dress he is a cleric, and his dripping leaf holy symbol elicits a surprised "Gozreh" from Nar's lips.


Order of Action
Nar<---
Gallak<--
Magnum<--
Joan<---
Hon<---
Kib<----
Duegar Barbarian
Khazad
Nonbarbarian Dark dwarves


"How do you like me now? By the way, we are DUELING TO THE PAIN!!"

Duel to the Pain:
To the pain means the first thing you will lose will be your feet below the ankles. Then your hands at the wrists. Next your nose....The next thing you will lose will be your left eye followed by your right....Your ears you keep and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, "Dear God! What is that thing," will echo in your perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever. Montoya from PrincessBride


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Guess Joan got missed. her actions is right here.


Sorry Joan
Joan has managed to get a hit past the heavily armored dwarf in front of her. He is more wary of Joan as here wounds have mostly healed from the channeling. A portly duergar cleric appears in the northern hallway wielding a staff. Joan is at 21/22hp after the channel.

Kib:
Are you keeping the grease active?


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

WooHoo!

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

I am not the least bit surprised, rather disappointed. I had to try.
Hon will retreive another flask(potion of gasousness) and quaff it. Move south.


Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /1
Stats:
Hps 13/13 AC 18 FF 16 T 12 CMD 16 (19 BR& 17 Trip) Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +0 (+3 vs poison, spell and SLA) Init +4 Per +0

Nar will channel again, this time a normal one

2d6 ⇒ (1, 6) = 7


Gawhoo?


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Yes he is


Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /1
Stats:
Hps 13/13 AC 18 FF 16 T 12 CMD 16 (19 BR& 17 Trip) Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +0 (+3 vs poison, spell and SLA) Init +4 Per +0

"What is a Duergar doing being a cleric of Gozreh?"


Gawhat?


Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /1
Stats:
Hps 13/13 AC 18 FF 16 T 12 CMD 16 (19 BR& 17 Trip) Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +0 (+3 vs poison, spell and SLA) Init +4 Per +0

Did they lower the requirements for graduating bard college? :)


KnReligion: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Bard Cawhat? (Apparently so.)


Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /1
Stats:
Hps 13/13 AC 18 FF 16 T 12 CMD 16 (19 BR& 17 Trip) Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +0 (+3 vs poison, spell and SLA) Init +4 Per +0

Gozreh is the god of nature, the sky and sea. Strange to see a dwarf much less a duergar worship Gozreh


Once I made the Kn Religion check for Nar, I posted the result in the thread.

Nar:
Are you moving to include Khazad? Requires moving 10' south.

Hon:
Think carefully. Drinking potions in a threatened square provokes.

The dark dwarf casts his glaive aside.

Perception DC 10:
A coating of grease is obviously coating the entire weapon making holding it difficult.

He looks up in disgust: "Magic meddling."
He prepares to jump Khazad in desperation.
Jumping Khazad provokes an AoO as he is obviously unskilled. Durnaxe wants to strike the weaponless duergar before he enters the square (Will Save not to).

The almost perfectly healed Joan fails to get through the dark dwarf's defenses once again finding the duergar in the dark without penetrating his armor. Magnum says, "I'm ready to go back on the line."

The cleric of Gozreh huffs in common, "So much for single combat. I told him he was a dreamer. Those days are over."


"Don't look a gift burro in the mouth, finish this!"


Order of Action
Nar channel (clarify position)
Gallak inspire
Magnum delay
Joan missed
Hon potion? (clarify action)
Kib<--
Duegar Barbarian jumping Khazad
Elemental
Khazad
Nonbarbarian Dark dwarves

Khazad AoO option


Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /1
Stats:
Hps 13/13 AC 18 FF 16 T 12 CMD 16 (19 BR& 17 Trip) Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +0 (+3 vs poison, spell and SLA) Init +4 Per +0

Chain, I was trying to get khazad,so yes I moved


Shut yer trap treehugger, yer one ta talk. Asides, 'twas a gnome wot interfered.
Gallak scowls.
What's a wind-bowing windbag like ye doin' down 'ere, eh? Window-shoppin fer a tomb?

2,151 to 2,200 of 3,400 << first < prev | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Team Dwarf / Gnome in Elves vs Dwarves -- ELVES KEEP OUT All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.