Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Team Dwarf/Gnome in Elves vs Dwarves -- ELVES KEEP OUT (Inactive)

Game Master Chainmail

Homebrew old school campaign where elves and dwarves interact in an ever increasing way as the game continues.
current map


1,801 to 1,850 of 3,400 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>

Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

Kragg stops at the bottom of the shaft. Looking around at the ground and the walls, he tries to distinguish if there are any telltale signs that dwarves have passed this way recently. If so the.n he he will attempt to follow them.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17 +2 if stonework applies
Survival 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11 +2 if cold applies

If these do not reveal anything then take 20 on both as we need to find where they went.


The stone is hard and the tracks seem to be hard to see. A little down the west passage a recent, slight impression of a boot is seen. A single wide marching order is needed.


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Khazad is the last to climb down, taking his climbing technique from Nar. Take 10 for a whopping total of 9.
Once down, some shuffling and clanking ensues as he takes a position in the front.
Ideally Khazad wants to be the first behind the scouts in line

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Observing the nigh invisible boot print that Kragg points out, Hon lets out a silent whistle. Hon does a quick pat down inventory of his gear, Stealth Cloak still donned, with warhammer in hand he leads out of sight of the needed light cast by Kib stopping at next passage.
Fast Stealth talent 1d20 + 7 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 7 + 5 = 22
Perception1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10 +2more for stonecunning

*Edit: he is obviously overjoyed at being underground again, doesn't pay much mind.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

EARLIER:
Chainmail wrote:


Liselle speaks to Kib, "Your magic signature is like a room full of candles. I assume you like to be prepared for every eventuality. I think one of our greatest sorcerors is a gnome. He claims to have dragon blood."

Smiling innocently Kib pats his wand bandoleers proudly saying "What? These lil' things? Well, one has ta be prepared, don't he? I mean, as amazing as my magic might do be, I ain't yet figured out how to tame all of me massive power. So, I figured, while I could, I'd stock up on there 'ere magic sticks tae round things out. And, hmm, one o' yer greatest sorceres do be a Gnome eh? Interestin'. I gets my magic blood from the Fey misself. Blood that dates way back 'afor dragons was but lil' lizards, doncha know. But this 'ere Gnome, what's 'is name? What's e' like?"

Feel free to roll anything needed to see if Kib has heard or knows anything about him

Having been largely silent for much of the journey, Kib frowns in annoyance as it is revealed that the laen had been also guilty for delaying their journey. His frustration though is not directed at any of his companions, more so at the laen itself, and at his own self for his lack of understanding it properly. Figuring Liselle likely has more magic book smarts than he does, he asks her "What do ye know about this material lass? I mean, it don't interrupt what magic comes from the Gods like, does it? 'An, how could I make it so it only affects magic comin' in, not magic goin' out. I done heard about items what can do that, protect ye from magic, but don't interfere with ye doin' magic. Ye know what I mean?"

NOW
Excited to finally have reached their journey, Kib bids farewell to Lisette and then says to the others "If you don't want the rings affecting you, I can carry them in my magic sack here." and he takes the rings any give him and places them in safe keeping in his haversack for the moment.

As they begin the climb down, Kib too has to proceed very carefully, but makes it to the bottom with a sweaty brow. If there is not enough light for he and Magnum to see by, he'll whisper a simple cantrip, casting Light on the tip of his spear. He then looks around, his Gnomeish eyes allowing him to see twice as far in the light as the others can.
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


Liselle's earlier response to Kib, not secret:
[b]"Laen always affects any magic in its sphere of influence equally. Worn on the fingers as a ring, it confers some resistance to magic, but only if imbued with some investment of magic or heart. The gnome I know goes by the nickname Baa Jr. At first I spelled it Baa, but on correspondence, he signs his name Bah Jr."

After heading 400 feet under the mountain, you encounter the first of two four way intersections (all branches 5 feet wide). Dwarven darkvision barely reveals another four way while you are at the first four way.


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

Unless otherwise stated, the marching order will be Hon, Kragg, Gallak, khazad, Bigmug, Kib, Magnum, Nar. If anyone has an issue with this say o nd we can change it.

For ease of play Kragg will always take 20 at an intersection to try and determine where the dwarves went. If that doesn't work than go with the right hand rule if that is ok with everyone.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Knowledge(spellcraft): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Knowledge(Arcana-untrained): 1d20 ⇒ 6
Knowledge (?local?-untrained): 1d20 ⇒ 1

Does Kib have any idea what she's talking about in regards to "investment of magic or heart" or know who this Bah Jr is, or heard anything about him? Racial/Family roll?? If not, he asks her'

"Wadda ya mean, "investment of magic or heart? And 'Bah Jr eh? I'll have tae look 'im up sometime I suppose."

Marching order is fine for me boss

As they begin to explore the mine, Kib pauses a moment to whisper a spell, causing a shimmering sheen to briefly flash all about him.
Casts Mage Armor


Liselle replies (after it is clear the map is not returning) and gestures to Hon, "I cannot reveal any more. I think I already have to report the loss of vital intelligence to the council. Giving up more would definitely be frowned upon."

Before leaving, "If you are truly good, you should probably consider joining the council." She points to Hon's bracelet, "Our principles are more good than those of other large multinational organizations."


Both elves/dwarves have triggered a programmed event in the combined thread. Dwarf-elf interaction thread


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

Still with Liselle, The intelligence is nt lost it is still here safe with us. When we are finished here and can find sir Wheatfield we will return it back to him in the same condition we were given it. Isn't that right Hon?


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Khazad would rather be in front of Gallak, third in line.
After Liselle went away
"She and sir Wheatfield seem fine enough, at least definitely better than the Society. While joining the Council might be a bit rash, we should probably work on establishing the relations between the council and Rock's dwarfhold."

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

A bit of retcon... Hon remains silent as Liselle speaks. After she departs, "Khazad, perhaps you may be right or not. This was part of our mission was it not? Learn the ways of the surface world, who the players are, potential allies, enemies and otherwise. As with any information gathering, some organizations or persons will declare privledges, assume rightousness. My only regret is my lack of subtley. I will work on that. Now here is what Liselle was concerned about."
Hon digs out the original Sir Wheatfield map, then unrolls a copy without the extensive notes just basic cribbed info and numbers. Then another, and yet another. "Pardon the crudeness. As you see, the three copied maps just reflect geography and political borders, with basic info any traveler could garner but seems to be lacking in the Reservation. These numbers found on each map reference correspond with Sir Wheatfield's more sensitive information written into my journal. Not a perfect solution but adequate and that is what I had time for. And if these maps should indeed fall into hands we do not trust at all the loss is minimized." Hon gently rolls up Sir Wheatfield's map, puts it into a map case and hands it to Kragg. The other three maps are similiarly rolled, secured in its' own case and handed to Kibb and Gallack. The third is returned to Hon's pack.

Chainmail
If there was not time enough/lack of equipment or due to Hon making himself scarce from Liselle's observations to prevent this from occuring the next best thing would have been copied onto the hide part of the dire wolf pelt and the sensitive info still copied in journal. Or barring even this likely effort, he would be reduced to copying the senstive notes and a crude geography/political map sketched.


Hon, with the three full days of travel, easily had time to duplicate the map and all the details (four hours total time per detailed copy, one hour for a rough features copy).

Survival (track) roll DC 18 needed, up to two can aid. Highest modifier will be the primary.

Magnum survival(track) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

Survival: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

Survival check 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 +2 if human, +2 if cold, +1 if following tracks


Once again, tracks are not found at the first intersection, but after turning right, recent tracks are found about 200 feet ahead. The tracks lead through a four way intersection and down a spiral staircase ten feet in diameter that leads both up and down. With up, down, left, right, straight, and heading back, this is a six way intersection.

Slightly down the left corridor (30') you see a open area-- above and to the right a huge irregular chamber has been cut out of the rock. Tracings of coal in some rock and scattered coal dust are in the area of what was probably a large coal find.

A quick investigation of the large coal excavation reveals nothing, so the single file trip down the spiral stairwell leads another 150 feet underground to a single, locked wood door bound in iron. The door opens inward, but the hinges are well constructed and recessed into the stone wall. A knocker also is visible on the door made of iron and is a crude hammer that is lifted to strike an crude anvil.


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

Kragg will signal Hon to approach and check the door for traps. A crude anvil does not speak of good dwarven craftsmanship. if Hon doesn't find anything then have Khazad come up to open the door.

perception first though for tracks, sounds, etc. 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23 (extras not included: +2 for stone, +1 Traps)
Disable trap1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Ref +8vs trap 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27[/b](+3class, +1luck, +2 feat,+1 Traps, +1cloak)

You notice Hon is no longer blending into the background as he switched to cloak of resistance, while waiting at the door for everyone to catch up. He already checked for traps but pantomimes a poor rendition of a blind dwarf snapping his fingers at each corner, shrugging at the results, and gestures the knocker with one hand and a set of lockpicks in the other with a slight grin.

Knock?
or
Pick lock? only peek if yes

Spoiler:
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Hon would not have waited for the group to check and disable for traps. He would have done so without prompting or backup. Now opening the door is another story...


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

Kragg will point to the hand with the lock picks first and then point towards the door. Motion for khazad to be next in line. Kragg will have a potion of enlarge out.


Hon inserts some lock picks and tries to turn the tumbler, but the lock does not open.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Kib will wait until Hon either opens the lock or seems to be unable to. If the rogue admits defeat, Kib will pad over and use his wand of Knock, brandishing it grandly and with a huge, smug smile flashed in Hon's direction.

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

A quiet mumble by Hon, "Just another minute, I've got th...Hon makes another effort, taking 20 due to the obvious superior construction, remembering to use is masterwork thieves tools (+2) this time and his effort to keep the tumblers muffled, 20+7+2=29. Hon will be frustrated if this does not work, stymied by his lack of experience moreso than the work of beauty this lock is. If unable to unlock, he become distracted, lost while examining the craftsmanship with his lockpicks. Audible click is heard when Kib taps the door with a wand over his shoulder. Kib's smug smile with returned with a glare from Hon. He tediously puts away his tools with an obvious irritation. When finished, grips the door with a look arears to confirm all are ready, pointedly ignoring Kib, before opening.

Kib, it plays better this way doesn't it?


Hon begins to take his time with his masterwork lockpicks. With his good lockpicks, and ample time, the door will be open.

Hon:
After 18 more seconds of fiddling with the lock (3 rounds) he hears the movement of feet on the other side of the door. Your are 6x17= 102 seconds to go being extra careful to open the lock.

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Stilling the movements of the lockpicks with his right hand, Hon holds up his left palm, quickly forming a fist. Followed by his fingers making a walking motion. He remains still, turning his head ever so slightly to catch additional sound. perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

edit* The idiots behind me must be breathing heavily.

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

After pausing a bit and probably hearing nothing, he continues to tinker the tumblers with his tools, albeit a quiet tinkering. Sorry couldn't resist
Assuming no surprises on Hon's end, he steps alngside the wall, reaching for the knob to pull open (all doors open outward?). He confirms the others are prepped for worst case scenario. With the fingers, Three...Two...One, Hon pulls door open.


Hon finishes picking the lock, and the door is quickly pushed open from the other side. Acrobatics or DEX DC 10 to avoid being clipped by the door. Hon finds himself staring a fully plate mail armored dwarf-sized figure in a full helm with crouched behind a tower shield. Hon (if he makes the above check) and the dwarf act in the surprise round.

Initiative
Kragg 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10(+2 cold)
Khazad 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Kib 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Hon 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Nar 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Gallak 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Magnum 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Big Mug 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Dwarf(s) 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Order of ACTIONS
Surprise
Hon 8 To act if DC10 ACR or DEX check (pick one and roll)
Dwarf 3

Round 1
Magnum 24
Kib 23
Big Mug 15
Kragg 10
Nar 9
Hon 8
Gallak 8
Khazad 8
Dwarf 3

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Acrobatic 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7 vs DC10. hahahahahaha I love it.
"ooof! Hon's hand slipped from the door handle, attempts to step back further only to enjoy getting the door slamming him against the wall.

AAAHhhhhh nevermind... I've had my surprise actions all typed up until I hit preview, which will probably be too little to late now. [backspace, Ctl-A, del.] You'all have fun now ye'hear.


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

Perception to tell if normal dwarf or dark duegar dwarf? 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Actions pending results...


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Well, I believe Magnum then Kib are up first in the init. But as the armored fella has first action in the surprise round, we should have a fairly good idea if he be friend or for by if he attacks Hon or not


The dwarf lunges out with an axe at Hon's feet barely tripping him to the ground while the dwarf in back throws a huge handful of marble-sized pebbles making the corridor pitch black.
CMB1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Magnum delays, "I got a sunrod, should I use it?"

Round 1
Magnum 24 delaying
Kib 23
Big Mug 15
Kragg 10
Nar 9
Hon 8
Gallak 8
Khazad 8
Dwarf 3


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

"Dwarf in Back"? How many are there? And where is the corridor now black, where they are, or where we are too? If it's by us, does that mean it's cancelled out Kib's Light spell?


There is a single dwarf with a tower shield that opened the door. There are is another dwarf behind him using the shield as cover. The light spell has stopped working for now in the 30' of corridor/spiral staircase leading up to the door. The first six in the marching order are in darkness. The first three have line of sight to door, the others are packed in the spiral staircase going up getting whispered update from the front.

Not one to wait, Magnum strike his sunrod, but after sparking, the rod is completely dark. "I think these be dark dwarves if this is any indication. Numbers will not tell in these confines."

I would make a map, but when it is five feet wide, it should be pretty easy. Drawing the two level effect of the group wrapped around a spiral staircase is beyond me.

In the hallway with sight of the door is from the door back: Hon (prone), then Kib, then Khazad.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Acting on Magnum's warning, Kib reaches out to touch the Dark Dwarf before him, but completely misses in the darkness. Not wishing to be on the front line, he then steps back to allow the others to pass by him.

Touch Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Being Small, he can pass through an ally's space, yes


Touch and five foot step back for Kib (without provoking).

Round 1
Magnum 24 delaying
Kib 23 touch and retreat
Big Mug 15 delay
Kragg 10 <---
Nar 9 <---
Hon 8 <---
Gallak 8
Khazad 8
Dwarf 3


Round 1
Magnum 24 delaying
Kib 23 touch and retreat
Big Mug 15 delay
Kragg 10 delay
Nar 9 delay
Hon 8 <---
Gallak 8<--
Khazad 8<--
Dwarves 3

Kragg explains, "Magrim says these are dark dwarves."

Order from door to rear:
1 Hon Prone
2 Kib acted
3 Khazad


Having seen Hon go down before the darkness descended, Gallak tries his best to gauge how far to place his grease, and lets the spell fly from his lips.
Hopefully I can grease -just- inside Hon's square, and then we can back out of the darkness and set up a defensive posture.


Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /1
Stats:
Hps 13/13 AC 18 FF 16 T 12 CMD 16 (19 BR& 17 Trip) Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +0 (+3 vs poison, spell and SLA) Init +4 Per +0

Gallak, us dwarves won't be bothered by the darkness

Nar will cast sound burst trying to catch as many duergar as possible without getting us (if it is a spiral staircase, can I get it far enough? If no I will go with a plan B)

Sonic Damage 1d8 ⇒ 3 Fort DC 15 or be stunned for one round (dropping hand held items)

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Dang I just realized PostMonster ate my action. And BTW Kragg is out getting RL ranger experience exploring the Boundary Waters.

"Baaa! We are gonna play alright."From his prone position, he digs into his backpack, feeling out the box of caltrops in the darkness and scatters these at the door and beyond.

This may provoke AoO, he'll do this regardless for the long term benefit. And coupling this with the grease spell should prove entertaining if we could see it. Good thing Hon remained prone. ;-)


Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /1
Stats:
Hps 13/13 AC 18 FF 16 T 12 CMD 16 (19 BR& 17 Trip) Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +0 (+3 vs poison, spell and SLA) Init +4 Per +0

Maybe my stun will work then we can bull rush them down the steps


Whoops, guess I presumed it was deeper darkness.


It is Hon and Kib and room for one more with line of sight to the door.
Let me know if Khazad is letting Gallak or Nar get in the 15' wide area that has line of sight to the door to cast a spell.
Both sound burst and grease are good plans.


Male Dwarf Fighter 4

If there is an opportunity to move past the door and into the room, Khazad will do so. If not, he will step back to allow for casting the spell.


All dwarves can see fine. As Nar has higher initiative, Nar will take the spot.
Nar needs to make two rolls vs Spell Resistance.

Saves FORTx2:
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 141d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Current Order in sight of door: Hon(prone)-Kib-Nar (Khazad now in Nar's spot)


Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /1
Stats:
Hps 13/13 AC 18 FF 16 T 12 CMD 16 (19 BR& 17 Trip) Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +0 (+3 vs poison, spell and SLA) Init +4 Per +0

Overcome Spell Resistance #1: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

Overcome Spell Resistance #2: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19


The tower shield and a hammer go clattering to the ground as the forward dwarf is stunned by the sonic burst. Hon feels he can jump to his feet while the armored dwarf is stunned without provoking an attack.

Hon let me know if this changes your action. Your square is no longer threatened at this time.

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Yes it does. Hon will not deploy caltrops but will make two move actions and a 5'step.

Ears popping from the sonic burst, Hon cannot believe his good fortune. The first dwarf who so rudely barged open the door has dropped his hammer. "I'll be needing this more than you... and thank you." Hon stea...borrows! borrows the dropped hammer, rolling to his feet, he steps to the edge of opened door with back to wall.


The dwarf in front of Hon holds his ground. The dwarf in the back yells an obscure battle cry and throws an axe at the covered +4 AC Hon.
To hit/damage 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 231d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

The figure in front speaks in the language of the deep dwellers.

Undercommon:
"Who are these dwarves and where did they come from?"

Round 2
Parenthetical number show position outside door.
Magnum 24 Delaying
(2) Kib 23 <----
Big Mug 15
Kragg 10
(3) Nar 9
(1) Hon 8
Gallak 8
Khazad 8
Dwarf 3

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Hon hp19, Current hp12
Undercommon:

Spoiler:
"I could say the same for you."

Common:"They are curious about us. Wish to know who we are and home of record. Real friendly like, you know? They even gifted me this beautiful hammer and an axe..."


Hon gets a response:

Undercommon:
"Shall we parlay?"

1,801 to 1,850 of 3,400 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Team Dwarf / Gnome in Elves vs Dwarves -- ELVES KEEP OUT All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.