Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Team Dwarf/Gnome in Elves vs Dwarves -- ELVES KEEP OUT (Inactive)

Game Master Chainmail

Homebrew old school campaign where elves and dwarves interact in an ever increasing way as the game continues.
current map


1,451 to 1,500 of 3,400 << first < prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | next > last >>

Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

By the way, meant to say, "Dark Diggler" and "Kaiser Sose"? That's funny stuff Chainmail. Am I the only other one here old enough to get the reference? But so what are you trying to tell us, that the trusted agent is really a Big Dick? ; D

Kib wanders around the marketplace, generally staying near to Joan, who he hardly even looks at as human any more. He tries all of the popular food and drink items, always getting one for Joan as well and waving off any of her attempts to pay. Eventually he makes his way over to the wizard's booth, looking to see if they have anything interesting 'on sale'. As such, he is right there when the white wizard himself arrives and asks the apprentice he is familiar with "Is it possible to speak with the old man himself? Especially for very good customers?"

Oh! So Joan does speak Dwarven, missed that before. Does Magnum?


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Yep, but her Dwarven could use some work. :)


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

Whlle at the bazaar, Kragg will peruse the wares looking for the locks and stolen items as previouisly mentioned. When the white wizard shows up, Kragg is surprised to see that the people are taken aback at his words rather than give them the respect that is due. If an older dwarf spoke in such a way in the Hall, every dwarf would listen adn pay attention to the wise owrds that age brings. For the majority of people to go against this practice does much to revert Kragg to his feelings of prejudice against humans. While some are more honest and of good character, Magnum and possibly Joan (too soon to tell), it is disheartening to see Garrison's average citizen hold this view. The sooner they get out of Garrison with the remainder of their wealth and sanity the better.

Hearing Gallak's words, Kragg will add his own And by our actions prove it.

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment
Chainmail wrote:

As you head out on the cloudy day to market, you notice everyone you pass is headed to market. What started as an impromptu gypsy camp, has morphed into a trading area over 15 city blocks in size. The humans have truly reaped their peace dividend as the vendors sell items out of all forms of military transport including siege wagons and supply wagons. Many of the wheels have fallen off or just been removed, but the sea of wagons and wagon carcasses makes the name Wheeltown quite apt. And a whole bunch more flavor text.

"....Do not forget or be complacent....

"Aye. Cheers to that. Speaking of complacency, Excuse me good sir, from which vendor did you get this LowBlowMeDown brew? Thank ye. Enroute, Hon passes barbarians selling the pelts and just cannot resist. He dickers, injured pride, disbelief of size and price, implied insults and three attempts to walk away before both parties are satisfied he got one over on the other, (Diplo/bluff are both +5 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24) Satisfied with that deal, Hon continues his passage through the throng, a few coins lighter and a rolled up pelt tied across both shoulders. Any dwarf he passes, he is the eptimone of courtesy, introduces himself, inquires thier name and what they bring to the market, congratulates them on the not letting the humans forget our presence and contributing thier craftmanship to this market. diplo1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

AAhhh! Finally! Are you the masterbrewer selling LowblowMeDown? Allow me to introduce myself... If Hon thinks this brew agrees with his palate, he'll provide an endorsement for a token fee of one free tankard now and another free tankard whenever he returns to town. Good stuff this, make that two now.diplo1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Lastly, Hon's ears and eyes are open. perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9 Knowledge Local 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18 He cares not if he is followed, for he is not doing anything unlawful; observing the economics, which vendor is favored/shunned, unexplained shortages, how freely money is spent and the quality of customers. Not looking for feedback Chainmail, this is what he does.

*Edit: A 10 diplomacy? Meh. About what one would expect from a cold introduction. At least I didn't come off as a creep. And lookat the 24 for some crazy non-critical side issue. [/eyeroll]


@Hon - As long as the beer is popular, you are given free tankards at any stand. The brewmaster is an aging dwarf, he is going around checking the kegs and making sure the sediment is just right.

@Kib - Apprentice 12 informs you the report to the White Wizard on your group wasn't well received. Any group of warriors without a paladin in their midst lost some favor with the white wizard. Threatening a fellow mage for doing his job in public didn't earn any favor points either.

Magnum leads Kragg to a battered cart in the far corner of the market in the seedier side. All four wheels are off, there are three types of wood and four types of paint on the wagon with letters in common, 'the Bawdy Show'. He is careful that Kragg alone accompanies him. "I remember when you were my apprentice, well here is what may be my last lesson. I tried to keep our profile low to get us here and spend our money before the Society jumped us, obviously that didn't work. Rock's operation was compromised, and it may have been our bannerman alone, and then maybe it wasn't. Somehow we were discovered here. I am entrusting these peoples live to you."

The cart looks to be a seedy peep show. Entrants pay a silver and get to look at bawdy illusions in the wagon. When Magnum and Kragg pay their two silver (Magnum buys), Magnum asks to see the 'Lucy Ball Show'.

After entering a specific cramped booth a three dimensional illusion of Magnum and Kragg watching a bawdy show occur as the booth turns into an elevator that drops twenty feet underground. This tunnel leads slightly up to an adjacent warehouse where an 'unofficial' market has been set up.

Kragg meets three hobbit proprietors, known as one, two and three. To Kragg they say, "We trade in just about anything and don't pay no 20%. Our selection is limited, but give us some notice and we can get things." Number three winks after he says this, a younger hobbit with darting eyes.

The hobbits are delighted to see Magnum, they exclaim "Magnum, you still aren't dead." Number one, a plump hobbit female, speaks in a deep voice, "Your girl that got away is back in town."

Number two, an elder hobbit male in scholars robes says, "Magnum, I didn't want to deal with these dwarves, but only on your word are they allowed here. We know Dark runs around in the system now. We will feel any fallout from the latest heist with these dwarves, and rumor has it the word is out. We know the Feather didn't brag and you wouldn't whine about having your swag stolen fair and square. Someone talked, and that puts them on the Society side."

Magnum shows number two his hammer, and he nods as he runs his hands over it and hefts it for a minute. He casts a quick spell and the hammer glows brightly. "The legends are true and you are part of them. The elves must have the bow." He hands the hammer back.

In the 'market' about twenty hooded figures are shopping for potions, lockpicks, daggers, one clanking figure with a hood even orders a full warhorse in plate barding and a battering ram. Magnum asks for his favorite wands and his given two well used wands with some loops on them.

Magnum addresses Kragg on the way out, "As you are the leader now, I guess I hump my own axes. I plan to listen to you as much as you listened to me when you were my apprentice. Be careful who you tell about this--I don't want my friends killed. Hon with his bracelet would not leave here alive."


Shortly after market day all the goods arrive. There is paper copies of receipts and descriptions of everything. An accountant with a large book records all the details. His O with the snakes on both sides of the O mark him as a Society Man.

The accountant asks for who is in charge, and produces some paper, "Have any of your goods been pilfered. There has been a rash of that, and we need to know. I have some forms here for that."

Today is the day the grizzled dwarves leave for their assault in the mountains.

Here ends all the programmed plot events of Garrison. Where to next?

I have switched east and west and the old map was in hex. I have updated the campaign map in the campaign tab so you can see the relative locations and linked it below.

Campaign Map

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Hon greets the society accountant at the door, flashing his own society bracelet. He escorts the accountant to Kragg and introduces him as the leader. He carefully raises an eyebrow towards Kragg but says nothing as he starts to review the contents of the receipts. "I'd like to go over the new inventory with this paperwork, so unless you need me further, I'll excuse myself." Hon awaits and defers to Kragg which direction he wants to take this.


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

With Magnum earlier in the week: Your secret shall remain with me for now. The less others know the less chance that something would slip. I trust my companions, but accidents do happen. As far as talking about the theft of our merchandise, we are going to submit paperwork stating that items were stolen from our premise by an unknown thief or thieves. There was no sign of forced entry, just stolen goods.

At the 'market' to hobbits: If you are able to pass a message along, please inform those who are responsible, that I will hold no grudge if the items are returned. Further that I will donate a percent of whatever amount the Society reimburses us for those items. I have no love for them or you, but I do recognize your efforts. If further acts are taken against dwarves then I will be forced to take action as well. This is not a threat but a realization of what must be done.

On a side not, you must be familiar with locks. What are the best you have available here right now?


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

When the accountant asks about stolen goods, Kragg will answer honestly that they have been the victims of a theft and detail the items that were stolen. If questioned about a culprit, Kragg will indicate that he knows no in Garrison that holds a grudge against the dwarves outside of the 2 gentlemen that Brask threatened the first night and the mage witht he golem the next day. We are too new in town to have made enemies or allies. I am afraid that any more is just speculation. Mr. Digger here has been gracious enough to fill the paperwork out appropriately. Make sure there are copies for both parties as I will need them for my own records.

Low Blow Semparatus will make sure that the receipts are in order and again copies are made for all parties.

Going to have to use a chest and carry it with us just for the dang paperwork this town requires.


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

I think the decision is still to head north to gain some allies or at least strengthen the cause of the dwarves furhter inland on the way to the ice ships. That is what Kragg is proposing.

Everyone make sure to gather your supplies and be ready to head out. Plenty of food supplise as well. Don't want someone running out and have nothin left but ice soup.

Kragg will purchase another 50 days of provisions to take along.

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Kib, There are quite a few receipts that probably correspond with your shopping efforts. Mind if we go over these and verify nothing is missing? Lessee now...
Headband of sweet-talking, yep you need that; Check
Rod of Embiggen, trying to compensate?, [haha] Check
Hand of Mage, eww I wouldn’t want a dead elven hand around my neck; Check
Haversack; Nice, I call dibs when you kick the bucket; and check.
Oh, Sorry was I using my outside voice? My apologies.

Grinning, Hon makes a checkmark and initials along each of the items he named, clearly proud of his wit. He scans the wand bandolier, trying to make sense of Kib’s fashion sense. ”I’ll let you continue with the fancy colorful pixies sticks of yours, please name them off as I mark the receipt… Then I can review the other’s purchases when we are done.”
Hon remains quite busy and stays so until the Society Accountant has departed after which the inventory becomes efficient with no additional commentary. Upon hearing about the need for 50 days of rations, and likely a pack mule or three, he’ll snap a lazy salute and head out after pocketing some of the party funds. He welcomes anyone to accompany him if they want a voice in the menu selection.


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Joan buys another 10 days of provisions. (6 gp I believe) Her purse feeling even lighter, she double checks her gear. When the accountant arrives, she scurries up to the roof. Her eyes are fixed north.

Just checking in.


First, a little summary for the newer members.

The dwarf party and allies pack up to resume their trek north to the Northern Reaches. This loose confederation of fuedal lords had the task of 'keeping an eye on the dwarves'. After a initial confrontation with Brask and Company, and the 'Strong Ale Diplomacy Session' attended by Brask and Neji, they decided that harassing dwarves was not a good idea. With news of the new stronghold discovered and looted, the Northern Reaches lords wanted even less to antagonize the dwarves.

As the group travels back through the Northern reaches, the dwarves have developed a reputation. Although dwarves have no diplomatic status, the first local lord quickly sets up a meeting. It turns out that the local lord here is a fan of the 'joust'. He is hoping to meet 'Mighty Lowblow'.

For this 'diplomatic' encounter - one diplomacy rolls with one aid roll allowed. Hon can accept and joust the local champion and roll to see how he does. In negotiations three questions will come up, and can be answered or ignored. They are in Lord Fairley's post. I also need to know if the banner is being presented.

"I am Lord Fairley welcome to our lands"...."Do think the Society of Secrets is beneficial to commerce?, does the dwarfhold plan on being part of Society commerce?, does the dwarfhold plan to expand and reclaim previous dwarven territory?"...."Thank you for coming."


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

Before Kragg answers, knowledge geography to know how far the dwarven lands once extended. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 Since Kragg knows nothing about where the line was, he will ask his counsel for clarification.

Also, sense motive on Lord Fairley's question about the Society. Does he seem in line with them or not? 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Rolling for the same thing as Kragg on the Knowledge Geo Roll.
Kn(Gography): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Mighty LowBlow graciously embraces the Jousting Challenge; afterwards invites the champion and the local asipiring players for a bit of friendly sparring practice so everyone can try and develop thier skill. Joust:

Spoiler:

Init 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6; Acrobatics1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12; Attk1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13.
Best 2 out of 3?
Init 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18; Acrobatics1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15; Attk1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4.
Init 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17; Acrobatics1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11; Attk1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10.

Conferring amongst the group to discuss thier answer; Hon provides his input, "Kragg, the society can be beneficial but only as a 25pound sledge hammer is useful for pounding in a 10penny nail. I am the only Dwarf rep the society has... that I know of. I don't speak for the King, nor do I think our Hall requires the assistance of the Society to maintain order and commerce. Still not sure what the garrison humans did to warrant strong arm economics. As for Dwarven reclamation, well, how would he feel if he was pushed out of his ancestral lands despite treaties (see my copy?) but those negotiations are between the King and Northern Lords.

Hon provides Diplomacy assist only if requested, although his fame may provide a favorable outcome. Mostly he prefers to work with the common folk (merchants, craftsmen, farmers) vs nobility.
If assisting: Diplomacy roll

Spoiler:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24 EDIT* Great GooglyMoogly, sweet roll. But will it be used? Stay tuned: Same dwarf thread, same dwarf time.


Gallak whistles an old tune in the background, which is oddly calming.
I'll use Inspire Competence on the diplomacy & sense motive checks.
KnGeography: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
KnLocal: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
KnNobility: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Gallak doesn't particularly care to know anything about anything.


Hon's opponent 1d20 ⇒ 21d20 ⇒ 161d20 ⇒ 8

Hon's opponent tries the aggressive all out strategy. He manages to get the jump on Hon, and catch him with a powerful blow Hon is unable to dodge. Hon tumbles quickly to the water. His opponent follows shortly after his wild swing.
Hon's opponent is gracious, "You tried to keep your balance, the standard tactic is to go for broke and get the first swing in. You MAY have beat me if you tried it."

Joan informs you 'The Northern Reaches was all dwarven land. It was taken over by the humans and settled as a 'buffer zone' to check dwarven expansionist ambitions.' (According to human history). Joan believes the dwarf lands went as far north as the superstitious mountains.

Kragg: Your feeling is the humans here think highly of the Society of Secrets. Claiming to be in the Society is probably allowing them to assert their independence.

By jousting, Hon gives a +2 circumstance bonus to all diplomacy here.


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

GAllak is our diplomat as stated as such by Rock. Therefore, I will let him do the actual diplomacy roll and talking. However, Kragg is of the opinion that these lands wre once dwarven territory and would see it belong to the dwarves once again. He is amiable to the stipulation that those people living here remain but under the Dwarves jurisdiction. We would have to find out what the Northern Reaches are paying in tribute to the Society to keep their independence. The price to the dwarves would be less than that. Let me introduce Gallak, our spokesman of the group.

Kragg wil chime in on the the topic of the Society since he can't control his tongue on that matter. Too much is dealt with in secret. Approachin strangers in the middle of the night demandin money for transaction from a street corner after lyin about your real purpose is no honest way to conduct business. They strong arm those weaker than themselves. They are seen as a necessity now as they have the goods that are wanted. If someone were to offer the goods outside of the Society's control, that could only be a good thing for the economy and all involved.


Moving things along for Gallak

Gallak speaks up. DIP 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 2 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 2 + 2 - 2 - 2 = 8

Gallak speaks of the distant past of dwarven human cooperation. From the outset it appears Gallak's choice of words and tone are somewhat offensive to Lord Fairley.

Lord Fairley asks, "Why did you come here?"


The heck are all those modifiers? My diplomacy is a +8 base and then +2 for each aiding me.
Dwarves, as children of Torag, acknowledge the need for an organized merchant's guild, and an... organization to protect and preserve the peace, as well as build upon bounty.
Gallak tactfully avoids mentioning that his comrades and he feel the society fulfills this task in an underhanded, corrupt, and expensive fashion, but his omitting "society" from his response does nothing to endorse the rogues.
Commerce is an important part of a peaceful rapport, wherever it be found. Here in this wonderful city, we have found a great many accommodating and fair merchants. The dwarfhold will certainly be introducing its own wares, as well as providing an outlet for those that exist.
It's obvious Gallak knows dwarven merchants will probably buy from the society, but it will quickly become vastly less expensive to buy from the dwarfhold, as the tax is legitimate and kept intentionally low.
Expand? Certainly not. The dwarfhold will be renovating and reestablishing choice holdings for the benefit of local populances. While the native peoples will most certainly be considered, please remember any land we claim already belongs to the dwarves.
Gallak smiles at this last, a simple way of expressing that any humans who help... reclaim dwarven lands will be considered for their aid, and a dare for any lord to claim his lands as "human" should he have taken residence on dwarven holdings.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 8 + 2 = 27
Sorry for the late post, but it really was my understanding Hon was diplomacying, with Kragg's aid and my performance to back him up.


Kragg Stoneheart wrote:
GAllak is our diplomat as stated as such by Rock. Therefore, I will let him do the actual diplomacy roll and talking. ... Let me introduce Gallak, our spokesman of the group.

From Kragg's Sunday post

@Gallak = Char sheet said -Diplomacy and 13 CHA, so I assumed your base dip was +4. I will add four to final result.

Lord Fairley answers in measured tones, "We were created as a buffer and given charters to the land we hold. The Northern Reaches does not enjoy being the monkey in the middle. Your offers are less than that of those of Garrison and their lords' council. We will let you know if we wish to reverse our stance of being independent and choose to be a vassal state again."


Gallak smiles coldly.
Be wary, Lord, for Dwarves are children of the Ice and Stone. We are surely patient, but nae forgivin'. 'ho gave you these charters, Ah wonder, and are they chiseled from the stone o' thah land? Ye must decide yourself what is raght, and once you have so done, we may speak again of "offers."
intimidate: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10Bonuses from aiding? I didn't include any.
Gallak is not so much threatening on a physical level, but more a moral and economic one. His tone is the icy rasp of someone who has tried to be accepting one too many times.

Bah, I have one good roll and it isn't counted for hatred of retcon. Woe is me, oh dice...


"Well, that could have gone better. Where to next? I don't think we want to visit any more human lords, do we? I am sure our reputation will precede us now."


And ye'd be wrong if'n ye thought Ah was gonna put oop wih' thar shenanigans.
Gallak shakes his head sadly. The sheer selfishness and greed of these lands is getting to him.


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Seems I'm not the only one this one has a habit of getting on that one's bad side.

Joan keeps her thoughts to herself. She gets the feeling that the only ones ready to accept are Kib and Hon, maybe.

After leaving the Lord's keep, she sees Gallak shake his head in disgust.

"And now you know why I stay away from towns and cities."


Gallak's icy stare seems like it ought to freeze Joan where she stands. He is eerily still for a moment, then turns away, as though something truly horrid had turned up underneath his boot.

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

It takes a minute for the implications of the discussion to sink in. Sighing heavily, Hon turns to the local champion and teammates with a sad admittance, "Looks like the older generation still butting heads, holding grudges. Let not this disagreement amongst them come between us. We still have the "joust" and I'd like to come back with a team of my own for a friendly competition, say sometime before the festival so my team already has bragging rights. We can discuss logistics later. No need to involve grudges eh?" Eyeing the departing Dwarves and recieving not-so subtle looks back, Hon shrugs."I have to go, They're my folk. Until we meet again on the jousting beam... He bows respectfully. diplomacy1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Taking a last bite and sip, Hon turns and thanks the Northern Lord for a wonderful repast and departs as well.

Catching up and ignoring the "Us vs them" commentary, he assesses the foul mood and tries to redirect it, "Giants. Never met one. Joan, Is it true that the bigger they are, the harder they fall?

Edit* Postmonster 1, Hon 2


Gallak looks up at the humans as they walk the street.
I assure you, it will be.


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Joan freezes in place as she catches Gallak's stare. Something about the way he looks at her sends a shudder down her spine. It takes her a moment to realize that Hone just asked her a question as the others move on.

"Huh? Oh, giants. If you think like that while fighting them, then you're going to wind up dead. Even ogres can show some spark of intelligence when it comes to causing pain."


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

That could have gone worse i suppose.

We'll be seein you again shortly Lord Fairly as the paths we travel takes us back and forth from our home. We will come again and visit when our paths takes us here. Hopefully you will see our position clearer next time. Until then may your beard grow ever longer. Kragg leaves with polite words but a curt attitude. He was hoping that the lands would recognize the old ways and honor prior agreements. Unfortunately that is not so. If they do not fall peaceably, then conquest is still an option. However, the dwarves do not have the numbers or resources they once had. They need to get more of each before any such hostilities take place.

As long as the lands south of the dwarves are willing to let us pass, then that is all we need for now. Once we have secured further resources we will be in a better position to have the lands swear fealty to us. What is the best way for that? Continue to the mysterious ice ships and see what a naval power would bring to the table. From there sail quickly around and try to meet up with the other dwarves trying to reclaim the old dwarven mines. Then the strength and economic power of the dwarves would truly be enhanced. Perhaps after those are completed, we can approach the nothern land again and they will listen better.

For now the norhtern kingdoms are still allied with the Society and while opposed to us are not listenin to our case. We need to force the issue by having a power they do not have. This power comes in 2 forms: the navy at the frozen ships and the economic might of reclaiming the adamantine mines further south. We are closer to the ships and will continue to head there. Hopefully the ships will get us to where we need to go quicker after. Let's be ready to leave these human lands in the morning.


The human city, Lakeland, nearby the lord's keep is not nearly as impressive as Garrison from size and relative prosperity. The main industry seems to be fish and furs. There is also a profitable mine nearby, but it seems to have plentiful amounts of iron and a dripping black substance that burns with an oily smoke.

You return to your local inn, the Handy Maiden. The locals seem abuzz with excitement. There are some local ice fisherman that have discovered a large cave in the ice. In the cave are hideous insects that eat humanoids for food. These insects are about the size of large dogs, and some have claimed to see bigger.


I'll point out that, traditionally, Dwarven strength has lain with ores, and forging, the craftsmanship of weapons and armor. I doubt I, or any back at the clanhold, will have a lick of luck sailing around in Ice Ships.


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

"Never know unless you try."

Joan's eyes gleam with excitement at the prospect of trying something new. Her smile threatens to take in her ears, and she looks as if even an icy stare from Gallak could break her good mood.

At hearing about the big bugs.

Great, now I have another reason to hate giants. Giant bugs.


Gallak tests that gleefully.


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

While we are here, do we want to explore this hole and hope that this improves the human's reaction to us? Hon, Gallak, your input here will decide if you think it'll help.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Oops! Things got moved along fast and forgot to do this. But no matter, can just say he used the extra time to add some finishing details.

After they leave the disastrous diplomatic meeting with the humans, Kibibblepep gathers all his comrades around, indicating he has something to say to them all.

Reaching into his magical haversack, he pulls out several dark metal rings with volcanic glass bits that catch the light as he holds them up for all to see.

The rings are truly things of exuisite beauty and craftsmanship, even finer than the two givn to Thograt and Ninni. The owls engraved on them nearly seem like things alive, ready to leap off the ring at a moment's notice. More, the skilled Gnomish jeweler has sacrificed some of the volcanic ore which was to go to ammunition to include some in the rings. The big owlish eyes, the beak and the talons are all made of the beautiful and mysterious glass. Finally, as well, each of these rings is tailored to it's wearer, being distinguished by the items the owl holds in it's claw.

As Kib begins passing them out, their new owners can look closely to see how their rings differ from the others. Kragg's ring holds an Urgrosh and Kazad's an exact copy of the Merciful Executioner. Magnum's holds a throwing axe, Big Mug's a banner and Kib's a wand.

Kib then moves over to the newest members of the Band of The Dark Owl saying "I know none o ye were present at the finding and freeing of the Dark Owl's hold, but ye are a part o' us now, and so, if none protest, I give ye these tae remind all o' that. Gallak's ring is an image of his father's greataxe while Nar's is a waraxe and Joan's holds an arrow in it's talons.

Last, and in his mind least, he squares off against the sole remaining member of the band. Holding his ring in front of Hon he simply stands and stares for a while, his gaze something much less than friendly. Abruptly, with a grunt of disgust, he drops the ring in Hon's palm saying [b]"Here. While it be no secret o my dislike for ye n' yer dwarf hatin', sneaky ways, whether I like it o' not, yer a part o' this group. Jus' you make sure you don't make me regret givin' this to ya more'n I already do."

Turning away from Hon, Kib speaks to the group as a whole "While I can't be sure, it's mah hope that the laen in this rings will afford us at least some little protection against what'er hostile magics we may encounter in our adventures. But, I guess we'll have to wait to see fer sure. Well, that's it, hope ya like 'em." and he waits to see what, if any, reaction to the rings the group has.

"Oh yes, which reminds me, then there;s these as well." and he then also passes out 7 Laen Bolts to Hon and 16 Laen Arrow heads to Joan, keeping 7 Laen sling bullets for himself.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

Will you be telling us any benefits the rings may have Chainmail, or is that something we'll be finding out in due time? Just thinking sheet-wise


Gallak dons the ring dubiously, then attempts to summon a bagpipe in the hand wearing it, hoping the magic-restrictive properties do not impede his spellcasting.

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

"Insects of gigantic size? Ice Caves of unlikely stability? Ships of questionable seaworthiness gliding along thin ice? What's not to like? I need to go shopping for some waterwings, an insulated swimsuit (my boys don't like the chill) and a big flyswatter. Anyone else want to go shopping with me?"

Hon goes through his inventory wondering if he can locate a local guide for advice or perhaps Joan could tell him what equipment he should change out.


Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) /6 Hps 58/58 AC 24 FF 23 T 11 CMD 21 (23D, 27 BR, 29 Trip) Fort +8 Ref +5 Will +3; Init +5 Per +7

Nar accepts the ring and say, "Thank you Kib. This is a great gift and one that will not be forgotten or taken for granted."


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

I agree that we might not have many that know much about boats, but a crew can be hired and dwarves trained. This would add to the skills of the dwarves as a whole. I'm not so old as to not be able to learn new things and your all younger than me.


Gnome Fey-Blood Sorcerer/4 | AC 15/15/13 [19/15/17 with MA] +4 vs Giant type; HP 26/26; F/R/W 3/4/6 +2vs illushns; Prcp +4; Init +6;

"We're here, the hole's here, let's take a look." says the dauntless and ever curious Sparkle Eye

Sczarni

Rogue3/Wiz1 by training, Machiavellian by temperment

Retcon for Kib’s gift giving.
Hon is momentarily stunned at the generosity and craftsmanship. ”Truly a fine gift and much appreciated by me. I am touched that one of the Stonecutter clan gnomes would honor me such. Come here and give this sneak’n dwarf-hater a hug.” Smiling and arms out, he approaches Kib for a big’ol Dwarf hug. Would this be considered an intimidate or diplomacy, cuz Hon ain’t bluffing…

Back to the current timeline...


Laen requires a craft DC (higher than adamantite) to keep the magic resistant properties intact. Did Kib try to make the rings himself?

Anyone holding the laen ammunition notices that spell casting by them and on them is more difficult. The resistance is slight (equivalent to SR=10, but noticeable). Please note on your character sheet if you have any laen ammunition and consider any spellcasting needing to overcome a SR=10 roll for now.


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

Just to clarify, we are tackling the ice caves now since we are here and then moving on to the ice ships.


Joan:
HP: 34/34, NL: 0 | F: +3 (+4 vs. Environment), R: +7, W: +3 | Per:+13, Init: +3 | Arrows: 12, Laen: 16, Healer's Kit: 10
Liulfr:
HP: 24/24, NL: 0 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Per:+5, Init: +2

Works for me. update will be up on the sheet in a couple of minutes.

Joan's speechless as she takes the ring. She looks it over with her keen eyes and turns it again and again noting every nuance and detail. She finally puts it on after several minutes of admiring it.

"Thank you my friend. This means a lot to me."

At least one of them likes me.


Heading down to the frozen lake, this once popular ice fishing spot is deserted. Hewn out of the solid ice is a large twenty foot wide and twenty foot high cave that gently slopes down. The footing is quite treacherous (DC15 acrobatics).

The echoes of hoofs is heard an out of the mist.....On the frozen lake is what looks to be a human child on a black charger pony. He is wearing full plate armor and a visored helmet. His large shield has a well lacquered decoration of a yellow sunrise on a field of green. A lance, spear, and sword of small size are all within easy reach.

The figure just over fourty inches in height projects in a clear tenor voice, "This way is dangerous. You may want to take a different path."

Upon getting a better look, he exclaims, "Zowie mama, real dwarves."


Male dwarf Ranger 4/ Rogue 1

Phfft, a child is warning us awy. Not this time. Kragg will approach the child and declare loudly for anyone else to hear. We're also dangerous. Why don't you go runnin back to safety while we take on these giant creatures everyone's been screamin about. Once that is done, make sure you tell em all that we're the ones who helped clear the area.

Kragg will continue forward towards the cave. Take 10 for total of 16.

perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19 2 more if human


The small figure takes off his helmet revealing a goatee and crystal blue eyes. "I am not a child, I am a hobbit. You don't know what your are up against. I have been here for days on the job. And who told you they were giant, they are just big for insects. And they taste quite good, quite good indeed."

The cave is a smooth tunnel, smoothly carved out of the ice.

1,451 to 1,500 of 3,400 << first < prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Team Dwarf / Gnome in Elves vs Dwarves -- ELVES KEEP OUT All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.