Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Tales from the City of Opal

Game Master Patrick Curtin

This is my homebrew world Arcaia. This particular setting is the free city of Opal, a lush equatorial city set on the edge of an immense jungle rife with undead , ancient civilizations, and dinosaurs.


401 to 450 of 3,254 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

Bribes always welcome

Round 2:
Egan 19 [scrambling to feet/attacking]
Iz 19 [swing and a hit]
Vilya 18 [sneak attack]
Zombies: 10 [attacking]

You don't have to roll initiative after the first roll. In PbP it is usually better for the first person to roll a base D20 and then we work off that for the rest of the fight

Izkrael's curved blade glitters in the dappled sunshine of the jungle floor. he brings it up in a graceful arc and slices back into the undead's sliced-open stomach, severing its spinal cord. The fetid zombie literally slides apart, its top half going north, bottom half south.

Just need Egan's attack and we're on to rd 3!


Bribes always welcome
Ten Foot Twin Eater wrote:

Ten Foot leaves the guards to their post, but not before promising to leave them a drink behind the bar when their shift finishes. He then heads to the Hutch to see what is on the menu, "thirsty and hungry work this marching, what is for lunch?".

He eats well, but restricts himself to only a few drinks, I will also leave a couple of gold with the barkeep to buy the gate guards, Cleon and Raffi, a drink or two.

Ten has some fried ham and scrambled dino eggs with hash browns. The priest grins when he sees Ten's amulet and makes sure he gets an over-large portion.

"May the Soused One bring you home safe every time," He intones, touching his amulet


>>RD 2 MAP<<


Bribes always welcome

Joleesa, Tobias and Ten take seats by the Hutch's main altar/island bar. The murals on the altar show Cayden Cailean performing some of his more famous exploits. There are also a lot of rabbits stenciled into the paintings, and carved in the wood surfaces and rafters.

Sanvoros and Seven Eagle take a small table out back. San can see that a lot of attention is being paid Joleesa by several of the patrons, but they seem to be holding their tongues thanks to the hulking presence of Ten.

The patrons are a motley lot, most dressed in light linens smeared with the rich red/brown earth of the surrounding fields. All are armed in some fashion, most with machetes or longswords. Blowguns and short bows are favored range weapons.

San's appearance gets him a few respectful nods. The Order is well respected in these parts.

Any actions, or if you wish to converse with the locals just let me know.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Battleaxe Attack (1d20+4=20)

Egan grimaces at the painful wound made by the hiddeous beast and returns the favor with a grunt and a swing of his Battleaxe.

Battleaxe Damage (1d8+1=2)

With a glancing wound, then retreats 5'.


Bribes always welcome

Egan's battleaxe shaves a sliver of the hideous undead's arm flesh off. It doesn't seem to care all that much. The arrow he had hit it with earlier sags out of the small hole it drilled in the thing's chest.

NEW ROUND!!!!

Round 3:
Egan 19 [Pending]
Iz 19 [Pending]
Vilya 18 [Pending]
Zombies: 10 [attacking]

Everyone smacking Zs roll me a Perception check puhleeze


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

Ten Foot revels in the presence of a bar to his patron and spends far too long explaining all of the stories behind the murals of Two-rabbits exploits. Loudly toasting him after every round.


Bribes always welcome

Ten and the barkeep/priest, a jolly fellow named Mevarrio, chat and swap stories and sing sacred Two Rabbit hymns (what others might term as 'drinking songs'). They get a bit of participation from the crowd. Mevarrio is obviously a popular pontiff.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Percepion - Sight or hearing (+2 if it's an animal) (1d20+18=22)

Egan wrinkles his nose at the stench of the creature and strikes again, once again repositioning himself after the blow.

Battleaxe Attack (1d20+4=24)

Critical Confirm (1d20+4=6) Rats that x3 would have been nice.

Damage (1d8+1=8)

And this time he connects solidly with a well placed blow to the hip, catchinig part of the Zombie's arm as it goes in.


Bribes always welcome
Egan Coyle wrote:
Percepion - Sight or hearing (+2 if it's an animal) (1d20+18=22)

Egan:

Spoiler:
Over the moans of the zombies Egan catches some thrashing in the jungle farther in. Nothing visible, but something ...else is moving towards their position

Egan Coyle wrote:


Critical Confirm (1d20+4=6) Rats that x3 would have been nice.

I know right? Woulda been zombie ghoulash for shure

The axe sinks into the zombie's gelid flesh, cutting the undead open at the hip bone. The zombie doesn't bleed as much as drip, noxious fluids seeping out of the cuts it has received and dripping on the ground.


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael moves into flanking with Vilya, and swings at the maced zombie between them with a devastating diagonal slice.

Attack d20+9=18
Damage 2d6+5=16

Perception d20+7=17(vs undead=19)


Bribes always welcome

Izkrael:

Spoiler:
Iz can hear some ..thing thrashing in the jungle further in

Iz's deadly sword whickers across Vilya's foe's ruined neck. The crumpled head falls back off its shoulders and falls to the jungle floor with a *plop*. The headless corpse falls to its knees and collapses.

Vilya's action, then zombies (err ...zomBIE)


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Dungeon Monkey wrote:

Izkrael:

** spoiler omitted **

Iz's deadly sword whickers across Vilya's foe's ruined neck. The crumpled head falls back off its shoulders and falls to the jungle floor with a *plop*. The headless corpse falls to its knees and collapses.

Vilya's action, then zombies (err ...zomBIE)

Vilya whirls on the paladin, covered in viscous ichor, her teeth bared.

"MINE!"

Suddenly, she stops, hearing something in the distance.

Perception: 17 + 1 = 18


Bribes always welcome

Vilya can hear the sound as the others already have. There is the sound of things thrashing through the jungle. Vilya and Iz catch a faint moaning sound in the silence after their opponent fell.

The final zombie swats at Egan, gurgling and snarling ferally.

1d20+2=8, 1d6+1=4

The clumsy undead misses the nimble Egan.

Vilya you still have an action this round. Then it's the next round! :0


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Vilya you still have an action this round. Then it's the next round! :0

She spends her round yelling at Izkrael, then running towards Egan to finish off the last zombie.


Bribes always welcome

Vilya screams at Iz as the two race towards their companion and his rotted assailant.

OK, next round. Post actions! Will update map shortly.

Round 4:
Egan 19 [Pending]
Iz 19 [Pending]
Vilya 18 [Pending]
Zombie: 10 [attacking]


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Scrowling at the zombie's luck with its arm getting in the way of his killing blow, attempts to strike the undead beast again.

Battleaxe Attack (1d20+4=6)

But his overhead chop gets caught up in a hanging vine, and makes his blow ineffective.

"I know better than to try the overhand swing in the Jungle he swears under his breath"


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

Back at the Hutch...

San nods at those who recognize his Order, and thanks any kind words he hears. It makes him a bit uncomfortable, as he does his work more out of a personal sense of vengeance than civic duty; in the end, he supposes the end result is the same and he's glad it helps people, as well.

He sits with Seven Eagle, attempting to make small talk (not his strong point) and learn a bit about their strange patron (or whatever he is ... he's not paying us, but he did gather the party). After a bit, he settles back to watch Ten and the barkeep sing; San dislikes the boisterous scene, but otherwise gets a bit of a chuckle out of the whole thing. He thinks to himself, I suppose I'll just have to get used to having companions who aren't interested in keeping a low profile ...


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael advances towards Egan and the remaining zombie, sword at the ready, an angry grimace on his face.


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4

Joleesa sits quietly with the others, smiling at Ten as he boisterously regales the tavern with song and story. She raises her drink on numerous occasions when he glances her way, but also makes sure to keep an ear out for what Sanvoros and Seven Eagle are discussing.


Bribes always welcome
Izkrael wrote:
Izkrael advances towards Egan and the remaining zombie, sword at the ready, an angry grimace on his face.

You and Vilya can both get an attack this round on Egan's Zombie

As the two speed to aid their comrade, shadowy figures begin to appear out of the thicker jungle. It seems these three zombies have some friends.


Bribes always welcome
Sanvoros Draben wrote:

Back at the Hutch...

Seven Eagle seems very quiet, and monosylabbically mutters into a glass of pale ale everytime San tries to talk to him. He seems even jumpier than before. San doesn't have much luck drawing him out.

Joleesa and Ten and Tobias all enjoy their little break. The hot part of the day passes, and the workers all start to ready themselves for returning to their chores. There is still no sign of Vilya, Iz or Egan. They have been missing all of midday

I know they have technically just been battling for a few minutes, but the party split is forcing me to do a little time dialation so I rejoin y'all :)


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

After a hearty meal and more than the two beers he promised himself when he got here, Ten Foot collects his gear and says his farewells to the Mevarrio the barkeep/priest, with promises to return the hospitality if their paths cross again.

"Come on lazy bones!" he bellows to the others, "the mid day sun has past now and it is time to hit the road again." He heads of to the front gate to check with the two guards, Cleon and Raffi, if they have seen their companions return?


Bribes always welcome

Cleon and Raffi both shake their heads.

"Naw, they aint been by us. Saw them headed kinda north past the fields. Wasn't quite sure why they was traipsing off, them woods're dangerous."


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

Ten Foot shakes his head, "you know, some people just love trouble," he gives a grin and hefts his Axe indicating he is obviously one of those people.

"I left a few coins behind the bar for you guys to have a beer on me later, is there a watch tower or some high ground where I can look out for them?" Ten Foot inquires as he starts to check all his weapons and armour straps.


Bribes always welcome

Cleon and Raffi both smile when Ten mentions the free ale waiting.

"You're a fine soul. May Two Rabbit bring you many an unbought drink." Cleon replies, touching his amulet.

When asked about a watchtower they frown.

"Well, the keep has a high watchtower." Raffi jerks his thumb at the keep on the slight rise. "If you wanted a good look you could always ask there. I can tell you that if they're in the jungle you wont see them no matter how high you get. Ten paces into that and you're invisible."


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

"Ah I see, well maybe we can have a walk around and see if we can spot them," he looks over his shoulder as the others gather their mounts and gear. "Could you guys do me a favour and let the others know I have just popped over there to look for them?" he indicates the same direction the guards indicated his companions had headed.

He then starts to head off calling their names in a bellowing voice, before pausing and turning to face the guards, "there aren't any spider nests this way are there?" he calls back.

I only move at 20ft, so I am guessing the others will catch me up quickly.


Bribes always welcome
Ten Foot Twin Eater wrote:

"there aren't any spider nests this way are there?" he calls back.

Raffi yells out to Ten.

"Heck there's spiders everywhere! Keep an eye out for the ones what spin trap doors on the jungle floor!"


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

Ten Foot freezes in place and starts prodding the floor around him with his axe, "yeah, thanks for that," he calls back wryly.

How much of a minus on spot checks do I get for constantly looking at the floor or the tree canopy?


Bribes always welcome

As long as you call out you are using Perception, no minuses. Though if you galumph along and don't post me a Perception check ... MUAHAHAHAHA!


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

"Retreat!" "Retreat"! Egan screams. "There's more of them coming". "Back to the Plantation, we must warn the others".


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Egan Coyle wrote:
"Retreat!" "Retreat"! Egan screams. "There's more of them coming". "Back to the Plantation, we must warn the others".

"WARN THEM YOURSELF! WE CAN HANDLE THESE!"


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

San accompanies Ten as he heads out by the gate. "Hold, my large friend. Let me look around, see if I can determine where they went." San heads north a touch, then crouches down, looking for signs of their companions tracks.

At work and no IC. Can someone roll my Survival (+7) check for me?


Bribes always welcome
Sanvoros Draben wrote:

San accompanies Ten as he heads out by the gate. "Hold, my large friend. Let me look around, see if I can determine where they went." San heads north a touch, then crouches down, looking for signs of their companions tracks.

At work and no IC. Can someone roll my Survival (+7) check for me?

Gotcha 1d20+7=26

San can see the three distinct trails of his friends. They head north-northwest through the tilled fields more or less together. After walking about a mile or so their trail heads into uncleared jungle. Just as San arrives at this point he hears a scream from further in.


Bribes always welcome
Vilya the Taker wrote:
Egan Coyle wrote:
"Retreat!" "Retreat"! Egan screams. "There's more of them coming". "Back to the Plantation, we must warn the others".
"WARN THEM YOURSELF! WE CAN HANDLE THESE!"

Still need an attack from you small dark and deadly


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Vilya the Taker wrote:
Egan Coyle wrote:
"Retreat!" "Retreat"! Egan screams. "There's more of them coming". "Back to the Plantation, we must warn the others".
"WARN THEM YOURSELF! WE CAN HANDLE THESE!"
Still need an attack from you small dark and deadly

Sorry, I'm at work, and about twenty miles away from my dice. IC doesn't work here, so I'm going to have to wait.


Bribes always welcome

Kay-O. We'll just do the roleplay thang then! :)

The moaning comes clearer as close to a dozen forms materialize out of the jungle. Before their visages are easily apparent the wave of noisome stench rolling out from them confirms their identity. More zombies have come for lunch.


Male Human Sorcerer 5
Ten Foot Twin Eater wrote:
"there aren't any spider nests this way are there?" he calls back.

"Oh, don't worry. Most of the spiders out here wouldn't be able to hurt you, I think."

Thus, I'm retroactively tagging along with Ten. Also, Perception checks: 1d20+1=18, 1d20+1=19, 1d20+1=13, 1d20+1=3, 1d20+1=13


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Sanvoros Draben wrote:

San accompanies Ten as he heads out by the gate. "Hold, my large friend. Let me look around, see if I can determine where they went." San heads north a touch, then crouches down, looking for signs of their companions tracks.

At work and no IC. Can someone roll my Survival (+7) check for me?

Gotcha 1d20+7=26

San can see the three distinct trails of his friends. They head north-northwest through the tilled fields more or less together. After walking about a mile or so their trail heads into uncleared jungle. Just as San arrives at this point he hears a scream from further in.

San unslings his bow and knocks an arrow, quickening his pace a bit and heading directly for the scream.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Vilya the Taker wrote:
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Vilya the Taker wrote:
Egan Coyle wrote:
"Retreat!" "Retreat"! Egan screams. "There's more of them coming". "Back to the Plantation, we must warn the others".
"WARN THEM YOURSELF! WE CAN HANDLE THESE!"
Still need an attack from you small dark and deadly
Sorry, I'm at work, and about twenty miles away from my dice. IC doesn't work here, so I'm going to have to wait.

Vilya springs towards Egan's zombie, hoping that the ranger's fumbling has sufficiently distracted the undead creature.

Attack (handaxe, sneak attack): 14 + 2 = 16; damage: 2d6+2 = 8
Attack (light mace): natural 1. Ouch. Have fun with that one.


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

"Raarrrrggghhh!" Ten Foot bellows a war cry to alert who ever is shrieking like a cheer leader that help is on the way, he readies his axe as he goes and barrels along behind San (who can out pace him with his movement of 30' verses Ten's 20').

Spot check to see who is screaming and why. (1d20+3=4)

Ten is so busy checking the floor for trap door spiders that he will blunder right into the combat before he spots them, unless someone warns him.


Bribes always welcome

I am going to assume that everyone who was in Tanglewood is sticking together and going with San, Tobias and Ten

A few distant yells catch the group's ears as they get to the border of the jungle. San runs ahead, as does Ten. Tobias hurries along, but makes it look a little more refined. The rest follow closely. It is hard to understand what is being said, but the pitch of the voice is feminine: More than likely Vilya. She can't be more than a half-mile away by the sound of things.

Ten is furtively checking for trapdoor spider nests, so he lags behind. Tobias keeps an eye out as well, but aside from a few arboreal lizards he sees nothing dangerous.

MEANWHILE ...

Vilya's handaxe slices the undead's spinal cord in twain, effectively disabling it. At the same time she hits it with her mace. The mace head breaks into its rotted body cavity and is sucked right out of her hands by the pull of the thing's rotted insides. It falls completely inside the falling zombie, the gash it entered by sealing up behind it.

The three in the jungle can see the new zombies shambling closer.

Egan's zombie is dead, but Vilya's mace is trapped inside it.


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4

Joleesa jumps into the saddle and urges "Wheezy" after the others. As soon as she hears the screams, she gets him to quicken his pace, whipping through the jungle and easily outdistancing th others.

"Wheezy" moves at 70', but I'll stay at 60' so that Lumien can keep up with us by flying as he moves 60' (unless he can stay perched on my shoulder at 70' speeds?).


Bribes always welcome

Lumien would more than likely want to fly rather than claw into you, so 60' to keep your new pet with.

Joleesa and Wheezy flit through the forest, the Leaper's superb reflexes dodging the vines and brambles with ease. Joleesa spots Vilya, Iz and Egan all surrounding a zombie. The zombie falls, but Jo just catches sight of more undead headed towards her friends.


Male Human Sorcerer 5

"Keep going! I'll catch up!" Tobias stops, mumbles a few arcane phrases, and continues running down the trail.

Casting Mage Armor


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

Good idea. San will use one standard action as they move through the jungle to cast mage armor from his wand.


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4

Pat, I am going to assume that because a Leaper is a carnivoous hunter, that they are treated similarly to a War Horse and not require Ride Checks in battle 9if this is wrong just tell me and I'll amend my post). Bear with me too, I've never run a Mounted Combat before, so this is a learning curve for me.
And... Invisible Castle is still down, so I'm just gonna rool the old fashioned way if that's OK.

Ride Check (DC 5) to direct "Wheezy" in combat. 1d20+8 (7+8) = 15

As they approach the others, "Wheezy"'s nostrils flare and he puts on a last minute burst of speed to get them into the battle. She sees the others involved with a Zombie, but "Wheezy" wheels towards more shambling from the jungle. She draws her Rapier as they close and once within range, slashes at the nearest Zombie. "Wheezy"'s hatred of Zombies comes to the fore as he takes a bite at the same undead abomination. Both attacks hit, but only score minor wounds on the thing.

Attack Zombie. 1d20+7+1 (11+7+1) = 19
Damage. 1d6+1 (2+1) = 3
"Wheezy" Bite Attack Zombie. 1d20 (17) = 17
Damage. 1d6+1 (2+1) = 3

EDIT: After reading Vilya's post below, I'm not sure if Joleesa qualifies for Sneak Attack Damage, but if she does then it is: 1d6 (3) = 3


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Dungeon Monkey wrote:

MEANWHILE ...

Vilya's handaxe slices the undead's spinal cord in twain, effectively disabling it. At the same time she hits it with her mace. The mace head breaks into its rotted body cavity and is sucked right out of her hands by the pull of the thing's rotted insides. It falls completely inside the falling zombie, the gash it entered by sealing up behind it.[/i]

The three in the jungle can see the new zombies shambling closer.

Egan's zombie is dead, but Vilya's mace is trapped inside it.

"AAAAUGHHH!"

Vilya shrieks in anger as her weapon disappears into the corpse's body cavity. However, she has little time to display her frustration. Lightining-quick, she draws a wicked-looking machete from behind her left shoulder and begins setting up the next group of undead for another sneak attack.

Machete: treat as short sword. Thank god for Quick Draw.


Bribes always welcome
Vilya the Taker wrote:

...Machete: treat as short sword. Thank god for Quick Draw.

Heh. Probably do you better than the mace was doing anyhow.

Vilya unsheathes her machete and makes a sound close to a growl as she senses the undead approaching her. Suddenly, there is the sound of a large animal coming from the opposite direction. Vilya glances back and sees Joleesa astride her raptor mount leap down the trail and whip by her, running straight into the approaching zombie mob.

I'll get the battlemap set up soon. Everyone assume you are present to state an action. There are about a dozen or so zombies coming down the trail of the jungle, clumped in twos and threes.


Male Human Sorcerer 5

With a few mumbled words of power and violent hand gestures, Tobias sends two bolts of force into one of the zombies.

Casting Magic Missile: 2(1d4+1)=10
Initiative: 1d20+2=22

DMTools just loves Tobias.

401 to 450 of 3,254 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tales from the City of Opal All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.