Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Tales from the City of Opal

Game Master Patrick Curtin

This is my homebrew world Arcaia. This particular setting is the free city of Opal, a lush equatorial city set on the edge of an immense jungle rife with undead , ancient civilizations, and dinosaurs.


251 to 300 of 3,185 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4

Joleesa informs the others that she can be ready to leave by the end of the day. All she has to do is return to her Father's Manor and pack. She would prefer to bring "Wheezy", so either Jungle travel or Paddleboat to Fort Trevins are her preferred methods of transport.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

Sanvoros again recommends to the group that they stock up on food and water, and other essential gear (healing kits, antitoxin, etc.). He also asks if it would be more prudent to leave at dawn the next day, rather than travel by night, but can be ready either at twilight or dawn, as the group prefers. He then leaves to finish up on some shopping for gear.

Question: what would the cost and stats of a machete be?


Bribes always welcome
Sanvoros Draben wrote:


Question: what would the cost and stats of a machete be?

I'd say comparable to a Handaxe: 6 gp 1d4 1d6 ×3 — 3 lb. Slashing

The River District is the place to purchase accomidations on a paddleboat. The Opal Leapers Bourse is where you can pick up a leaper.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

So, what's the plan? Sanvoros would prefer taking a boat upriver to Fort Trevins, as he's not used to dealing with a mount. He has always entered the jungle on foot, as it's easier to be stealthy and you don't have to worry about feeding anyone but yourself ...


Male Human Sorcerer 5

I vote for either the paddleboat or regular boat. If we go with the paddleboat, I'm also buying a mount.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

"Since we have a goal, and are not just exploring the jungle, I suggest we take the paddle boat to Fort Tevin, then go on foot from there. I have some connections at the fort, and maybe we can gather a little more information on the map."


Bribes always welcome

The group meanders out of the Driftwood District as they discuss their plans. They head in the general direction of the Opal River and the large docks near the Triangle Keep.

The day approaches noon and the air begins to feel like clear soup. The group keeps to the wide awnings most businesses put over their front entrys to keep out of the sun. The roads are still quite muddy from the previous months of rain, but the hot sunlight is doing its best to dry them out.

The group finds its way to the River District near Triangle Keep. Triangle Keep is the home of Opal's river patrols, a stone fortification that entirely engulfs a small island at the confluence of of the Fly and Opal rivers. Along the Opal's bank several paddlewheels are docked. Nearby these large transports bales of goods under open walled structures await loading. There is little activity on the docks currently, but the group can see that the goods are being watched by several folks.

Near the goods and the boats is a building with a sign that reads Tickets. The building has a large window, but its bamboo louvers are pulled down. A small sign says Closed until 2PM.

The heat of midday has shut down most outside labor, but there is one thing open at the docks, the local tavern, the Silver Whistle. Half-a-dozen longshoreman drowse under its awning while another dozen play Dragonclaw, Watch Me and Six-Seven at rude trestle tables under large umbrellas, sipping drinks and chatting. The common room of the tavern looks crowded, and the sounds of some bards banging out an Uplands Rag tune greet the group.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Near the goods and the boats is a building with a sign that reads Tickets. The building has a large window, but its bamboo louvers are pulled down. A small sign says Closed until 2PM.

"Wonderful."

Vilya twirls a lock of her bair between her fingers, looking bored.

Can't wait until we get down to business. Haven't killed anything in ... days.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4
Vilya the Taker wrote:

Vilya twirls a lock of her bair between her fingers, looking bored.

Can't wait until we get down to business. Haven't killed anything in ... days.

"Don't have that problem, myself. I guess the next one is yours then, my dear."


Bribes always welcome

The torrid sunshine beats down on the group as they ponder what to do for the two hours before the ticket building reopens.

Post an action: You can just wait, go into the tavern, explore the docks, or go shopping while you wait.

Merry Christmas everyone!


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

"Well, it looks like we have a little wait. What say we grab a little drink and get out of the heat of the day?" San begins heading over to the Silver Whistle; then turns to Ten. "I can buy you that round of drinks I owe you."

Assuming the rest follow, he'll grab a large table (or push a couple smaller ones together), and ask the server to bring a round of drinks (whatever everyone's having) and he'll plunk down a few gold for it (would 2-3gp cover it?) San himself will just ask for water for now.

Merry Christmas everyone!


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Sanvoros Draben wrote:

"Well, it looks like we have a little wait. What say we grab a little drink and get out of the heat of the day?" San begins heading over to the Silver Whistle; then turns to Ten. "I can buy you that round of drinks I owe you."

Assuming the rest follow, he'll grab a large table (or push a couple smaller ones together), and ask the server to bring a round of drinks (whatever everyone's having) and he'll plunk down a few gold for it (would 2-3gp cover it?) San himself will just ask for water for now.

Vilya sits cross-legged on a stool and stares at the ceiling.

"I'll take some juice. Alcohol never agreed with me."


Male Human Sorcerer 5

"I'll take a tankard before I go. I have a few things I need to buy."

Since I forgot that most of the party didn't get mounts, decided to not buy one. I'm still going to buy 2 Alchemist's Fires, 10 days of Trail Rations and 50 feet of rope, for a total of 46 gp of stuff. After I leave and go buy it, of course.

Also, have a merry Chrismas!


Male Human Bard-2/Sorcerer-1 (Abberant Blood line)

Seven Eagle also asks for water, but with some lime and mint in it, he then excuses himself, as he walks to his studio to get his gear.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

"I'll meet up with you guys in a bit," "I have a friend that works here at the docks". "I'm going to see if he is here and maybe get some updates on conditions upstream".

Egan then goes looking for his friend Walgar Trunk for an update.

After that if it's not time for the boat to leave he'll join up with the others in the Tavern.


Bribes always welcome

Egan strolls the docks, looking for his friend Walgar. Walgar has been working as dock security and liason between the Uplands Rangers and the river boats. He works out of a small building near the large dock complex.

Egan walks to the building, labeled Uplands Rangers River District Chapterhouse. The door is open, and Egan can hear his friend talking to someone.

"If you're headed to Fort Trevins and you want to stay within the walls for more than a cycle you need a special permit from the Commandant. Head to the main chapterhouse when you arrive and apply. You'll need about 50 Galleons, but that will allow you sanctuary for a full year."

Egan walks in and sees the portly form of Walgar seated at a desk talking to a young man in a chain shirt with a large axe. Walgar looks up, smiles at Egan and gives him the 'wait a moment' guesture. He finishes talking to the young chain-clad man and gets up. The old ranger is a little more grizzled than Egan remembers, and has gained a few inches about his tum. The longsword and machete he carries look well-maintained though.

"Egan! You old bushrunner you! How's tricks?"


Bribes always welcome

The party enters the Silver Whistle and finds a seat. The place is busy. Travellers, Dragoran migrants, Zapatec hillmen, dockworkers, plantationmen and riverboat roustabouts all drink and chatter out of the hot noon sun. A smiling girl in an imaginative rendition of a riverboat captain's uniform takes their drink orders.

The party sees one person who stands out among the motley crowd. A man, if he is that, fully seven feet tall with skin dark as a chunk of ebonywood. He is squat-looking despite his size, as if a wizard magically stretched a dwarf and cooked him well done. A wild head of flaming red hair and an impressive waist-length beard woven into a long braid completes the stranger's look. The man(?) is dressed in black clothing and a thick leather apron that sports several burn marks. He is drinking with several smaller-looking versions of himself, these ones more dwarf-like in appearance and size. They all seem to sport large hammers.

Anyone who has Knowledge(local) can find out more about the odd person.


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4

Knowledge (Local) Check. (1d20+6=10)
Joleesa follows the others into the Tavern to wait, quietly pulling Ten aside before they enter.
Ten:

Spoiler:

"Errr... listen I know this is gonna sound strange but I'm actually a bit skint at the moment. It's why I'm in the market for some work and why I joined up with this lot. Forbidden Temple in the Jungle's gotta be worth some serious gold right? So I know you usually keep a little stashed away for a rainy day, you were always better with your money than me. I was kinda wondering if I could borrow some for the trip. You know I'll pay you back with interest first chance I get right."

She takes a seat at the table and asks for a coconut milk with a dash of rum.
"So I'm going to have to go home and get my stuff together. It shouldn't take me long, I travel fairly lightly. I will have to get "Wheezy" ready though and he'll take a bit longer. I'll finish up this drink and head on over."

This will be my last post until after the 5th. Happy New Year everyone and I look forward to playing with you all again in 2009. =D


Bribes always welcome

Enjoy your holiday Flash!

Joleesa:

Spoiler:
You've seen folks like this before. They are Hyrkmirian dwarves, the larger fellow might be one with a bigger splash of Fire Giant blood in him than his mates.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Walgar was the Riverboat pilot contact, not the rangers contact

"Things are steady." "I hope the same goes for you".

"Say! I'm heading upstream with a group on the ferry later." "Any news from upriver, or anything I should look out for"?

"We'll be heading overland from the Fort as well". "Do you have anything I need to deliver there, or any news from there"?


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

Joleesa Morvais:

Spoiler:
"Hey, consider it a gift, how much do you need, I have about 700gp stashed that I can lay my hands on," Ten Foot replies to JoJo's request with an honest grin.

Ten Foot will take the offer of a drink to pass the midday sun away, only mad dogs and lizard men go out in the midday sun.

He then decides he will need some food for the journey and will buy 4 weeks worth of trail rations for the trek, he informs the rest of the party that his god can provide water and ale for the trip, so no need to bog themselves down with water, but his faith is too weak and needs more testing before he can provide food for them.

he explains that he has never learnt how to ride, so travelling by foot is his preferred mode of travel after the river trip.

Does any one need any thing in particular purchased for the trip?


Bribes always welcome
Egan Coyle wrote:
Walgar was the Riverboat pilot contact, not the rangers contact

GAH! Sorry Egan, could've sworn he was a ranger contact. Mea culpa. Next time I'll do my homework rather than assuming. :( Let's assume he is BOTH. A river boat pilot who is a semi-retired Ranger.

Walgar walks over to a flask.

"I have some nice Sugarberrry juice if you're interested."

He pours two glasses of the purple liquid while he thinks, handing one to Egan.

"Well, there's been some talk of zombies on the move. There was a plantation known as Rosebriar that was attacked and burned. Also, the beginning of dry season means spiders on the move. We've been seeing a lot of bites and attacks lately. As for Fort Trevins ...hmm."

Walgar walks to his desk and pulls out a oilskin bundle wrapped tightly and sealed with a large red wax blob indented with his sigil.

"If you could bring this to Captain Annonio aide de camp of the Commandant I would appreciate it. Oh, and if you are traveling upriver, I can give you a comp pass for your travels."

Walgar fishes out an official document authorizing one free passage on any riverboat, fees due to the Uplands Rangers.


Bribes always welcome
Tobias Marshalsea wrote:

"I'll take a tankard before I go. I have a few things I need to buy."

Since I forgot that most of the party didn't get mounts, decided to not buy one. I'm still going to buy 2 Alchemist's Fires, 10 days of Trail Rations and 50 feet of rope, for a total of 46 gp of stuff. After I leave and go buy it, of course.

Tobias manages to obtain what he desires at the local businesses after the group has a few hours wait at the tavern (Nothing is open during midday). He returns to the tavern with his supplies

Meanwhile ...

After a few hours pass and the heat of the day lessens somewhat, Ten finds a chandlers nearby that has trail rations (hard biscuits and jerked bush meat) for sale. He gets what he needs and returns to the tavern.

Meanwhile ...

Seven Eagle walks through the drowsing city to his studio. He quickly collects his gear and returns to the tavern just as the midday siesta draws to a close.

The tavern patrons are dispersing, some a bit wobbly. Most are headed back to their jobs at the docks. The dark-skinned red-haired folks tall and short all head off towards the distant form of the Opaline Queen.


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael will head out and collect supplies during this time as well.

He goes looking for a lumper, saddlebags, tack, 20 days of trail rations, and twenty days worth of lumper feed.

Spoiler:
How much would lumper feed be?


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

It's been longer than a few minutes, and true to form, Vilya is bored and pouting. She has taken to carving swirls on the underside of the table with her kukri, all the while silently fuming.

Of course, they didn't buy any gear before looking for a guide. Why should they, right? They're just the tourists. I've got all the gear I need right here.

As if to punctuate her thoughts, she viciously stabs a large grub that had dropped from the ceiling a few moments earlier.

"Feh..."


Bribes always welcome

Iz use the standard feed costs from SRD: 5 cp cost/10 lbs weight per day of feed. A light load for a lumper is up to 100 pounds; a medium load, 101-200 pounds; and a heavy load, 201-300 pounds. A lumper can drag 1500 pounds.

Izkreal heads off to look for a Lumper to carry supplies. He finds a stockpen fairly close and makes a purchase. A feed and grain store is adjacent, seling all things packbeast.

Vilya stabs the large larva that fell from the ceiling. The six-inch worm makes a satisfying *squitch* as Vilya's razor-sharp blade enters it.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4
Vilya the Taker wrote:

It's been longer than a few minutes, and true to form, Vilya is bored and pouting. She has taken to carving swirls on the underside of the table with her kukri, all the while silently fuming.

Of course, they didn't buy any gear before looking for a guide. Why should they, right? They're just the tourists. I've got all the gear I need right here.

As if to punctuate her thoughts, she viciously stabs a large grub that had dropped from the ceiling a few moments earlier.

"Feh..."

San, silently watching Vilya's mood darken, chuckles to himself. "Well, there you go! Now you've killed something again. Happy?"


Bribes always welcome

Joleesa and Ten are on holiday, so we can forward the action a bit if you all are set on supplies.

As the worst heat of the day mellows, more and more folks start to walk in and around the river docks. Bales of cloth, bundles of logs, amphorae of exotic wines and many other goods parade along the sidewalk outside the Sliver Whistle. The bar is almost empty as folks begin the last phase of their work day.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

When everyone has returned from their supply-gathering, San will polish off the last of his water. "Looks like Fort Trevins awaits," he says to no one in particular. "Shall we go get our tickets?"


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4
Sanvoros Draben wrote:
When everyone has returned from their supply-gathering, San will polish off the last of his water. "Looks like Fort Trevins awaits," he says to no one in particular. "Shall we go get our tickets?"

Ten Foot stands up and grins, "hell yeah, lets go!"


Bribes always welcome

The group troops out into the humid afternoon and heads to the ticket office. The building has reopened, and several slot-barred windows are manned by workers busy taking folks' coin and dispersing tickets. There is a sign posted over the windows.

Tickets:

Opaline Queen:
Animals: 5sp
Steerage: 5sp
Deck: 1 gp
Bunkroom: 5 gp
Second Class stateroom: 50 gp
First Class stateroom: 100 gp

Pride of Vellasia:
Animals: 4sp
Steerage: 4sp
Deck: 8 sp
Bunkroom: 4 gp
Second Class stateroom: 40 gp
First Class stateroom: 80 gp

Smaller vessels available for hiring, ask within.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

"I'm all for saving a few galleons, myself. Anyone have an issue with taking the Pride of Vellasia?" Whichever is selected, Sanvoros will get a bunkroom for himself (he does still prefer his privacy, and as a spellcaster he relishes a good night's sleep; usually lacking in the jungle).


Male Human Sorcerer 5

"I've got no complaints against the Vellasia. I just wonder what the catch is."


Bribes always welcome
Tobias Marshalsea wrote:
"I've got no complaints against the Vellasia. I just wonder what the catch is."

Roll me a Knowledge(Local) and I can tell you what you've heard on the streets about the Pride of Vellasia.


Male Human Sorcerer 5

Knowledge: Local(untrained): 1d20+2=9


Bribes always welcome

Tobias:

Spoiler:
You have heard about a bad accident that the riverboat had several years ago, but the details escape your mind at the moment.


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4

Ten:

Spoiler:
"Thank You my friend, but it will be a loan. Considering how we both grew up, it would be a crime for me to accept your hard earned money in such a way."
"Let us see how much when we decide on our mode of transportation, but I cannot see it being any more than 50gp."

After sharing a drink before heading off, Joleesa returns from her house with a pack full of food, leading a Leaper with a scar across his neck which makes him wheeze when he breathes. Lumien is perched lazily on her shoulder and the Leaper is playfully nipping at the glowing, swinging tail.
Knowledge (Local) Check. (1d20+6=19)

"Personally I would prefer the Queen. I have heard stories about the Pride that would make me think twice."


Bribes always welcome

Joleesa:

Spoiler:
You remember that the Pride of Vellasia has had a bad record in the past. Several years ago the bound elemental that powers its paddlewheel broke free of its containment and burned the large boat to the waterline. The owners rebuilt, but there have been rumors of cost cutting and shoddy workmanship. The family that owns it, the Darranais, have been accused of hurrying the construction to get the boat back on the river. In the two years the new Pride of Vellasia has been in operation there have been several runaground incidents, and the boat is struggling to compete with the Opaline Queen.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Egan frowns at the wheezing leaper. "That's going to make stealth difficult if it's called for". "Sometimes you have to hide from things in the Jungle instead of confronting them". "I hope you didn't pay too much for that leaper, because I don't think it will last long". "Still, I guess it will make the journey more interesting".

"As for the ship of choice I really have no preference".

Spoiler:
Egan takes no food and only a waterskin, as he plans on living off the land. He much prefers fresh food and fruit to dried rations. He does have a small kit of spices etc. as well.


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael does not particularly care which vessel they take, only that they get there. He waits for the others to decide, and then grabs himself a bunkroom.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

San spends so much of his tme in the jungles, that he never really has gotten to know the city of his birth can't belive I never allocated even one rank to knowledge local.

"Well, if you've got a bad feeling, I'm fine with the Queen. That OK with everyone?"


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

Stupid Post Monster keeps eating my posts, grrrr.

Ten Foot lets it be know that he is happy to go along with the majority on the travel arrangements. He ponies up the money for him and JoJo when they buy the tickets, going for a/the Second Class stateroom for both of them, is that price per person or per room?


Bribes always welcome
Ten Foot Twin Eater wrote:
... He ponies up the money for him and JoJo when they buy the tickets, going for a/the Second Class stateroom for both of them, is that price per person or per room?

50 GP gets a stateroom, but more than two in the small quarters will be very uncomfortable.

The two large paddlewheels sit at the dock, swarming with workers and passengers. Threads of smoke escape from the large smokestacks that rise from the cneter of the ships. A loud whistle and a cry ring out along the docks.

"ALL 'BOARD! OPALINE QUEEN LEAVING IN 15 MINUTES!"

Buy your preferred tickets and lets hit the river road! :)


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4

Is the 5sp for Animals just for Larger Animals like Leapers and Lumpers, or would it include Lumien as well? My Leaper's fare will need to be paid as well (5sp) and if Lumien needs it, then another 5sp for him.

Joleesa smiles warmly at Ten as he returns from paying for their Stateroom. She hands "Wheezy" over to the animal handlers, giving him a last scratch under the chin before she goes and telling him to be a good boy in Greenspeak (if she has to hand over Lumien as well then she does so, otherwise he will come to the Stateroom with us).


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

Ten Foot parts with the money for two rooms and sets off to explore the ship, excited in how the last day has turned out, 48 hours ago he was wondering where his next pay cheque would come from, now he is off on an adventure into the unknown, beats escorting merchants any day of the week.

DM:

Spoiler:

I have purchased a few alchemical items, smoke sticks, thunder stones and most importantly anti-toxins. Could you please let me know if this is OK, if not I will cross them off and add the 200gp back.


Male Human Sorcerer 5

Tobias gets a bunkroom, then stands on an out-of-the-way portion of the deck, glad to be on the water again.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

Vilya purchases a second-class stateroom for herself.

"Good thing I didn't have to waste so much money on gear like everyone else. Come prepared, and you get the good rooms."


Male Human Bard-2/Sorcerer-1 (Abberant Blood line)

Bunkroom for Seven Eagle as well


Bribes always welcome
Joleesa Morvais wrote:
Is the 5sp for Animals just for Larger Animals like Leapers and Lumpers, or would it include Lumien as well? My Leaper's fare will need to be paid as well (5sp) and if Lumien needs it, then another 5sp for him.

The 5 sp is for larger animals, pets ride for free long as you take care of them.

Ten your items are fine as is

The large boat is aswarm with activity as folks load up for the journey. The group members find their staterooms. They are a bit cramped, but feature a fit-for-two bed and washtable in each. Tobias finds a bunk in one of the large bunkrooms. It's just a narrow cot with a small lockable trunk at the foot. The cots are stacked two high.

After settling in the group finds its way to the deck for the departure. The large boat whistle sounds out and sailors reel in the ropes from the dock pilings. The large sidewheel begins to turn as the massive boat begins its journey up the wide green expanse of the Opal River.

OK, any actions desired post them. I will do some encounter rolling and advance the story through the next four days of travel.


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

In all his travels, Ten Foot has never been on one of the great paddle ships and his excitement shows on his face.

He bangs loudly on JoJo's cabin yelling "Come on, we can unpack later, let's explore!"

He dashes around the ship, rolling question after question at the crew members, trying every door, it becomes obvious to despite his great size and heavy drinking habits, he is a hardly a full grown man and still has the over enthusiasm of youth.

251 to 300 of 3,185 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tales from the City of Opal All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.