Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Tales from the City of Opal

Game Master Patrick Curtin

This is my homebrew world Arcaia. This particular setting is the free city of Opal, a lush equatorial city set on the edge of an immense jungle rife with undead , ancient civilizations, and dinosaurs.


2,451 to 2,500 of 3,205 << first < prev | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | next > last >>

>>New Map<<

Vilya is still up the mast, which is why she is off the deck map


Elf Magus 5

Group Init: 1d20 ⇒ 6

ACK! Don't hate me! ;)


Elf Magus 5

"Ahoy Kraken! You scared me!" Magnus cries with a grin, his sword appearing in his hand as if by magic.
Quick draw/free action

"My, your a BIG one, aren't you? What's the matter fella? Sea hag got your tongue?"

Init: 10

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

Initiative = 7

Citlali grips her spear in hand, her free hand coming up in preparaion to unleash a spell if needed.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Initiative 10

Quickly accessing the threat Egan draws a arrow, and releases all in one smooth action.

1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29 Arvela Shot

1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8 Arrow Damage


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

San tries to react quickly initiative 12, casting glitterdust to encompass the half-orc but not Magnus (10' spread centered behind the half-orc). DC 16 to avoid being blinded


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 5

Initative 10

Felicia moves in to engage the half orc drawing her blade in the process.


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael will step foward and try to subdue the halforc (nonlethal damage) by pommel striking him, assuming he can close before all viable spots are taken.

Initiative 10
Attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Damage 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


Kessel is going to attempt a sense motive at the moment to see if he can recognize signs of enchantment or other mind control.

Initiative 8
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20


Bribes always welcome

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Initiatives:

Kraken: 14 [attacking Magnus]
San: 12 [Glitterdust]
Egan: 10 [arrow-hit]
Magnus: 10 [Pending/quick draw]
Izkrael: 10 [nonleathal hit]
Felicia: 10 [move]
Kessel: 8 [Sense motive]
Citali: 7 [holding action]

The seven-foot-tall half-orc snarls and swings his axe at Magnus

1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 261d12 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

The axe blade bites the Magus' side, drawing a gout of blood.

San casts his blinding spell

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Kraken ducks at just the right time and avoids the glittery spray.

Egan's arrow quills the burly sailor on his upper thigh, eliciting a loud bellow. At the same time, Izkrael ghosts foreward and strikes him in the back with the pommel of his sword, turning the bellow into a groan.

Kessel:

Spoiler:
Kessel senses that something is amiss with Kraken. Although never a talkative person, there is no reason for him to be blindly attacking in such a heedless fashion.


Elf Magus 5

Ouch! ;P

Magnus grunts in surprise, staring at the sudden spread of red on his silk shirt. "That's going to leave a mark,..." He mutters in shock, not quite feeling the pain of the wound yet. He glares at the burly mate.

"This was my favorite shirt!"

With sudden speed the dandy elf lunges forward, thrusting his sword at the beserker even as the blade glimmers with magic,...

Swift action- 1 arcane pool point to make rapier KEEN for 1 minute, regular attack,

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 161d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

His left hand makes an arcane gesture, and he thrusts the rapier towards Kraken once more as the blade flares with another spell,...

Use Spellstrike, casting Daze, dmg + spell effect if hit:

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 131d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

But most likely his wound causes him to tense in pain, and his aim is terribly off.


Bribes always welcome
Magnus Darkenstar wrote:
But most likely his wound causes him to tense in pain, and his aim is terribly off.

Actually, his AC is pretty poor. No armor ..

Magnus hits Kraken with his slender rapier

Unfortunately Kraken has more than 4 HD ...

Magnus' slashes open a pair of red dripping wounds along one burly bicep. Kraken snarls wordlessly and readies another blow.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Egan sends another missile that way.

1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28 Bow Attack
1d8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 Arrow Damage


Bribes always welcome
Egan Coyle wrote:

Egan sends another missile that way.

1d20+12 Bow Attack
1d8+2 Arrow Damage

That's for round two, right?


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Egan Coyle wrote:

Egan sends another missile that way.

1d20+12 Bow Attack
1d8+2 Arrow Damage

That's for round two, right?

Yep. Sorry I should have posted that first


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 5

Felicia charges in and slashes at the half orc

Attack power attack and charging

1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22

Damage

1d4 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13


"We might be dealing with mind control or worse," Kessel says, "Let's try to take him down without killing him but quarantine him in case he has something catching."


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

"For crying out loud! Take him down without killing him! What's wrong with you all?! He's obviously not himself!" San yells, frustrated at the bloodlust of most of the others.

San attacks with the flat of Ghostfetter. 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
damage (nonlethal) 2d6 + 5 ⇒ (6, 4) + 5 = 15


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

Initiative: 9

Is this guy abovedecks? If so, how easy would it be for Vilya to sneak attack him by dropping off the rigging, death-from-above-style?


Bribes always welcome
Vilya the Taker wrote:

Initiative: 9

Is this guy abovedecks? If so, how easy would it be for Vilya to sneak attack him by dropping off the rigging, death-from-above-style?

Roll me a Acrobatics DC 20 check and you can pull it off, and ill say the attack does 1d6 extra damage as well. Fail and you take 3d6 falling damage]


Elf Magus 5
Sanvoros Draben wrote:

"For crying out loud! Take him down without killing him! What's wrong with you all?! He's obviously not himself!" San yells, frustrated at the bloodlust of most of the others.

"Well,... of course he's not himself! Why else would he attack me?" Magnus retorts, almost pouting that he should be accused of unnecessary violence.

"But that's easier said than done! Some of us are using precise instruments of skillful precision, not oversized flat hammers!" He adds slyly. The dancing warrior eyes the large frenzied mate and how well he shrugged off his minor spell.

"It's going to be one of those days, isn't it?" He asks no one in particular.

Still wincing at the pain in his side, Magnus steps in again, his blade flashing slower this time, trying to wound but not kill,...

First attack, nonlethal1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 111d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Concentration check for casting in melee: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (2) + 14 = 16

SPellstrike/Cast FLARE cantrip/second attack (NONlethal): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 231d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

Still in round 1

Citlali steps forward her hand extended, aiming carefully in an attempt to avoid hitting Magnus and Izkreal if possible. As she utters a word a blinding spray of color with the brilliance of a nova washes over the half orc, assaulting his senses.

Color Spray: Awesome Display (treats all targets as if they are 4 HD lower)


Bribes always welcome

Well, here goes ..

Magnus' spell pops off with a bright flash

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

It doesn't seem to affect Kraken.

The rest of the party batter the large swabby with a mixture of lethal and non-leathal damage. He seems worse for the wear, bleeding from his arrow wound and a large gash Felicia deals him.

Citali's rainbow spray hits the half orc

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

He falls into a boneless heap on the deck.

end of round one. I'll assume Vilya holds her action.


Elf Magus 5

"There. THAT wasn't so hard." Magnus says through gritted teeth. His free hand clutches his side.

"It's only a flesh wound. I've had worse!"

"Nice work Citali. Now why did Mr. Mate here go all beserker on us? Did the captain not pay him or something?" He asks, peeking into the cabin the mad mate barreled out of,...

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

Vilya, poised to spring from the rigging, sags slightly.

"Aw, maaaann... I miss all the fun..."

Action held.


Kassel wracks his brain to try to think of what could cause the madness in the crew members.

knowledge nature: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17
All other knowledge checks: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

"Vilya," Kessel says, "The body in the crow's nest, was he killed by monsters or is it possible that his own crew members turned on him?"


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

San tries to figure out what kind of magical effects might cause something like this as well.

knowledge arcana 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
spellcraft 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30


Bribes always welcome

Magnus doesn't see anything ... Until another two forms come hurtling out of the dark. Another pair of sailors from the Laugh emerge, steel in hand and snarling

Group nitiative again!

Kessel:

Spoiler:
There are many things that might have ensnared the mate's mind. Perhaps a search of his body would reveal more clues

San:

Spoiler:
There are several magic spells that could dominate a person's will. A detect Magic might reveal any geas or compulsion Kraken is under

Vilya you can do that move we discussed on one of these two. I leave it up to you. I'll have a map up today, hopefully

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

Group init1d20 ⇒ 16
Which puts Citlali at 17


Bribes always welcome

Baseline init: 1d20 ⇒ 9


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Egan draws and releases more arrows, as this seems to be a spawn point for enemies.

Round Three
Initiative 20

1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18 Attack
1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6 Damage


Elf Magus 5

Initiative 20

"Whoa Nellie! Incoming!" Magnus cries, almost gleefully despite his recent wounds.

Seeing how effective the last spell was, Magnus sends his blade into a blurry, dizzying display as he steps lightly backwards, and sends his own rainbow-colored blast into the two emerging figures.

Showing off, but no attack, just 5' step back and casting Color Spray, DC:14

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

Citlali spins towards the attacker opposite Magnus' target again unleashing the mind numbing glory of the heavens into the man's brain through his eyes.

Color Spray DC 15: Awesome Display (treats all targets as if they are 4 HD lower)


Elf Magus 5

Wow, TWO color sprays? these guys don't have a chance! :) (BTW Citali, we should both be able to catch both guys in the spray I think)


Bribes always welcome

Citalis: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 81d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 111d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Magnus' 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 101d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 141d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

We'll just stop there.

The two rainbow beams strike the two attackers, and they fall insensate. As they fall, the group hears another *THUD* inside the doorway of the darkened room. The rainbow beams light up another shadowy form inside the room, but the glow is swallowed up almost immediately, as if something in the room was keeping things dark.


Elf Magus 5

Magnus chuckles at the unconscious forms at their feet.

"Heh. They'll be seeing rainbows for a week!" He grins. The dandy blows across his fingertips lightly, and polishes them on his shirt.

With a flicker of barely seen movement his rapier is back in it's sheath.
"Did anyone else notice the room? It seemed to almost swallow the light of the spells."

Spellcraft to id the cause. (he suspects a Darkness spell of course, but would like to verify)

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30

"Does anyone have a Light charm handy? I don't usually prepare it myself, as I don't normally need extra light." He states, preening a pointed ear with a fingertip.

After glancing towards the door once more, as if daring it to spit out yet another beserker, Magnus bends down and swiftly examines the body, and pockets, of the nearest unconscious sailor.

Perception/Search:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

;P

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

Watching closely as Magnus speaks, Citlali nods briefly, uttering a brief syllable as she touches her spearhead, a cold silvery glow reminiscent of a full moon eveloping the weapon, casting light 20ft forward.


Bribes always welcome

Magnus:

Spoiler:
Magnus can tell the effect is a darkness spell indeed. That magical darkness is very telltale.

The swabs he sees unconcious are all accoutered in typical gear. The one nearest him has a quilted coat sewn with runed lamellar plates along its outside. As he is inspecting this sailor, he makes a nasty discovery. The swab has a patch of greenish slime pulsing on the nape of his neck. Small tendrils of the slime seem to have burrowed into the sailor's spinal cord, and the flesh around the area looks corroded.

Citali's spear illuminates the small room, driving the darkness off with its magical illumination. The pole of the aft mast can be seen inside, along with a couple of barrels and the unconcious form of Shao, the first mate off the Laugh


Elf Magus 5

Magnus starts, leaning away from the sailor he is examining in revulsion.

"What in the name of Cayden's Cracked Cup?!?"

He leans back in, slowly.

"Gentlemen, Ladies, I think we've found the cause of the unpleasant behavior. There's some nasty green goo on the back of this one's neck. It looks like tendrils are actually burrowing into his spine! I think it's ,.. still alive? It's,... pulsing. Ewww!"

"Check the others, but be careful! I think we should tie them so when they awake we don't have a repeat performance of our first dance. Now,... what could cause something like this?"

Magnus glances into the now-illuminated room, his mind racing

"SOmething a halfling friend of mine once taught me. ALWAYS check the ceilings and the tallest shelf first!" He jests as he points into the cabin.

K: Arcana & Dungeoneering:
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 291d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22


Bribes always welcome

Magnus:

Spoiler:
Magnus has heard of many different slimes and oozes that make their home in the fecund jungles of Mazatil. He has never heard of one that turns people into puppets, but it is not out if the realm of possibility. If it is some sort of mind-control slime, Magnus assumes that it has some sort of alien intelligence. If so, it will be doubly dangerous. .


Elf Magus 5

Cool. Thx monkey! :)

"I have heard of many different slimes and oozes on my travels through the jungles of Mazatil. I have never heard of one that turns people into puppets, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility. Heh. I've seen stranger things!" He smirks.

Magnus strokes his elvin baby-smooth chin as though smoothing a goatee.

"If it IS some sort of mind-control slime, I assume it has some sort of alien intelligence. If so, it will be doubly dangerous,..." He says thoughtfully. Then he looks up at Vilya dangling from the ropes above.

"Right up your alley my dear!"


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Kessel Cobey wrote:
"Vilya," Kessel says, "The body in the crow's nest, was he killed by monsters or is it possible that his own crew members turned on him?"

"Well, unless the local sea creatures carry crossbows..."


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Magnus Darkenstar wrote:

"If it IS some sort of mind-control slime, I assume it has some sort of alien intelligence. If so, it will be doubly dangerous,..." He says thoughtfully. Then he looks up at Vilya dangling from the ropes above.

"Right up your alley my dear!"

"Brain-eating slime? You sure it hasn't gotten to your head yet? Oh, wait, that's your giant ego. Never mind."

Having Z-Day flashbacks. Also need to make Ghostbusters II reference soon.


Vilya the Taker wrote:
Kessel Cobey wrote:
"Vilya," Kessel says, "The body in the crow's nest, was he killed by monsters or is it possible that his own crew members turned on him?"
"Well, unless the local sea creatures carry crossbows..."

"It seems quite likely at this point that the crew turned on each other," Kessel says, "I'm sure you've all reached the same conclusions by now, but what we don't know is what caused this and how it spreads. It might be disease, but it could be some sort of foreign entity causing this like an Ooze as Magnus suggests, or it could be some sort of creature that excretes mind control ooze. That chamber is quite dark. There could be anything in there."


Elf Magus 5

"Your quite correct! Dark cabin, Unknown creature, mind control slime, very dangerous."
Magnus nods solemnly.

"YOU go first!"


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael steps foward at Magnus' words.

"I will go in first."

Iz moves toward Shao with his sword in hand, alert for danger, particularly checking overhead.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


Elf Magus 5

"That works for me!" Magnus murmurs, following the dark skinned elf cautiously,...

Perception:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

EDIT- Heheh, it seems that fear is a great motivator for Perception rolls! :)


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Egan follows third in line, bow drawn, and quick eyes darting in the near darkness.

1d20 + 20 ⇒ (18) + 20 = 38 Perception


Bribes always welcome

The room is cloaked in magical darkness, but the light spell keeps it at bay. No one sees anything amiss in the room, other than the unconcious Shao. The room is narrow, with a cramped 6' ceiling and two doors, one north, one south. The aft mast pole takes up the rear of the room, flanked by two large ship casks with fitted covers. A large wooden tankard sits on the southern barrel. Shao lies in a heap, but he groans and twitches.

Actions?


Elf Magus 5

Magnus does a swift survey of the room, then goes over to the twitching sailor. After verifying that the back of his neck has the same green spot, (and that there is no 'slime' on his hands or arms!) he pulls out a silk handkerchief, twists it into a solid rope, and binds the man's hands behind his back.

Magnus stands, surveying his work with a smirk. Then frowns.

"Waitaminute,... There's a magical night spell on the cabin, I don't remember any of these guys being casters,... so where'd the darkness come from?!?"

2,451 to 2,500 of 3,205 << first < prev | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tales from the City of Opal All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.