Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Tales from the City of Opal

Game Master Patrick Curtin

This is my homebrew world Arcaia. This particular setting is the free city of Opal, a lush equatorial city set on the edge of an immense jungle rife with undead , ancient civilizations, and dinosaurs.


2,351 to 2,400 of 3,255 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>

Bribes always welcome
Kessel Cobey wrote:

Kessel, being a bard, has all the knowledges. Just not many points in them.

Knowledge Local: 1d20+4

Of course he hasn't been in town all that long

Ah well

Kessel casts back, but he cannot recal ever hearing of the Green Lady.

The longboat of six crewmen led by Mate Shao sets off towards the disabled vessel. The crew watches the transfer warily, a hushed murmur arising as the six scale up the side of the ship.

An hour passes, and there is no sign of the investigating party returning. Capt. Quo paces back and forth by the tiller, face wreathed in an odious tobacco fog issuing from a clay pipe.


Although I do find it amusing that Kessel, who was designed for an Age of Worms campaign, fails to remember anything about this green lady. I find it amusing as the setting of Diamond Lake features a cult of Wee Jas that follows someone called the Green Lady, also I've included aspects of said cult into my rather lengthy Lidu Diaries. This boat and that cult have nothing in common of course, but I do find it amusing :)


Elf Magus 5

Cool. nothing ventured, nothing gained! :)

Stealth (close enough to over hear without being 'noticed' listening): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26

Bluff (Acting casual): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17

Magnus wanders the deck as the sailors prepare to leave, to all but the most intent observer he is simply wandering idly, examing the ship's workings,...

After an hour of waiting, Magnus walks to stand next to whomever else of the group is still watching and waiting.

"So, either it's a treasure ship, and they're filling they're pockets, or,... trouble?" He asks casually, almost eagerly.


Bribes always welcome

Magnus:

Spoiler:
Magnus hears a few crew members muttering

"That thar be the Green Lady. A wizard owns her, he was chased out of the Driftwood docks I hear."

"Aye, I heard tell of that as well. Killed some dockworkers I heard."

"Yah, but 'twasn't him did the killins. 'Twas some sorta monstrous pet he owned went feral. I mislike this."


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Whisperwing takes flight, to check things out.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

San sighs as the time goes by, the ache in his head slowly going away. At Magnus' comment, he responds, "Oh, it's trouble, for certain. If it was a treasure ship, then chances are that's why it's adrift. Someone attacked, killed or took everyone and everything left. In which case, it would be empty now and the crew would be back.

"While my head says we cut our losses and leave the cursed thing be, I know darn well the captain and my own conscience won't leave those crewmen behind."

San stands up, checks to make sure he's got his weapons and essential gear, and says, "So, we going over? Where's another boat?"


Elf Magus 5

Magnus wanders over to stand at the rail between Egan and San. He looks at the passage of the sun to mark the time.

"Seems that a few of the sailors have heard of this ship before." He says sotto-voice, casual and barely loud enough to hear.

"Supposed to be owned by a wizard. When it was last in dock seems either the wizard or one of his pets killed a few people. He was forced to leave in a hurry."

Sanvoros wrote:

"Oh, it's trouble, for certain. If it was a treasure ship, then chances are that's why it's adrift. Someone attacked, killed or took everyone and everything left. In which case, it would be empty now and the crew would be back.

"While my head says we cut our losses and leave the cursed thing be, I know darn well the captain and my own conscience won't leave those crewmen behind."

San stands up, checks to make sure he's got his weapons and essential gear, and says, "So, we going over? Where's another boat?"

Magnus smiles broadly.

"That's the spirit! Lead the way! I've always wanted to board at sea!" The elf declares happily.


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

"Yes. Let us find out what has happened to our fellow crew."


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

"I wonder if anyone left anything shiny on board..."

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

Citlali simply nods, preparing herself for the novel experience of going from one ship to another whaile on the water.


Bribes always welcome

Capt Quo approaches the party, his head wreathed in pipesmoke

"A word wi' yeh" He says, almond-shaped eyes narrowing

"I sent me crew over there to yonder wreck to lay salvage claim on her. I told them to be no more than 15 minutes at most, and not to go far into the hold. Now, I ain't seeing any of them return, so I am thinkin' there's summat bad aboard her."

He pulls his pipe out from his mouth and taps the coals over the side of the boat.

"I was wondering if you lot, being adventurers and all would like to take a looksee over there. I have another longboat, as it happens, but that's the end of them. I know you brought a boat as well. I don't want to risk any more of my crew if I can help it, but I don't want to leave the others behind. Are ye willin'?"


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 5

"Sure thing captain."


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

"we were just coming to a similar conclusion ourselves, fine Captain."


Elf Magus 5

"Quite right! We should be delighted to assist captain!" Magnus declares with a broad smile and a jaunty salute.


Bribes always welcome

Capt. Quo leans in

"That thar wreck has a bad reputation. Her master was a wizard, by the name of Vossian. He's been exploring the Mazatlan coast for years, looking for old magic and monsters from the Sliss'pok empires of yore. A few years back one of his 'pets' ran amok in the Driftwood District. Killed a fair lot of folks. So, be careful."


Elf Magus 5

"Indeed? 'Old magic and monsters'? Sounds most sinister." Magnus places a hand on his heart.

"I am most gratified at your concern captain. I assure you, 'caution' is my middle name!" The elf says with a perfectly straight face.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Magnus Darkenstar wrote:
"I am most gratified at your concern captain. I assure you, 'caution' is my middle name!" The elf says with a perfectly straight face.

Vilya begins to cackle insanely, and is soon bent double with laughter.

"No, no, keep going! Tell another one!"


"I on the other hand am always cautious," Kessel says with a slight bow, "Part in parcel with having a reckless twin. Prepare the longboat and we'll see if we can't see what's happened to your crew."


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

"Perhaps we could take over both the canoe and the longboat", Egan says heading towards the tow line for his canoe.


Elf Magus 5
Vilya the Taker wrote:
Magnus Darkenstar wrote:
"I am most gratified at your concern captain. I assure you, 'caution' is my middle name!" The elf says with a perfectly straight face.

Vilya begins to cackle insanely, and is soon bent double with laughter.

"No, no, keep going! Tell another one!"

Pot calling the Kettle black?!? ;P

Magnus raises an eyebrow, stands a little straighter, turning the preening of his ridiculously long hat feather into an almost natural motion.

"Some people just don't know how to take themselves seriously." He sniffs.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

.


Bribes always welcome

Capt Quo gets them to the longboat. It is a typical ship to shore vessel, hung on a complex of ropes and pulleys. Egan's boat is lashed to the side of the [i]Laugh, and is easily readied for travel[/i]

any prep you want say now or we head off


Elf Magus 5

Magnus grabs all of his weapons from where they were stashed in the cabin. He shows back up as the boat hits the water, looking excited and ready to go!


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Magnus Darkenstar wrote:
Magnus grabs all of his weapons from where they were stashed in the cabin. He shows back up as the boat hits the water, looking excited and ready to go!

Vilya casts a sidelong look at the foppish young man, then turns to the nearest of the group, sarcastically wondering aloud in a loud stage whisper.

"It's almost like he's never been outside the city before. You don't think..."

She grins, her eyes flashing darkly as she belts on her four weapons and prepares to board.


Bribes always welcome

Egan's boat is put down first, and he scrambles down a knotted rope into the slender boat. The others pile into the long boat, and the crew begins to winch them down onto the glassy sea

The water is calm and smooth, only broken by the fins of a few sharks patrolling the lee of the boat for any garbage. A fin investigates them, but sinks into the water when it becomes obvious there is no meat to be had.

Actions?


Kessel says a prayer in his druidic tongue as they glide across the waters.

"My fighting skills aren't honed for front line fighting," Kessel finally says after the prayer, "I would like a place just behind the front line. I am able to aid us in other ways though."


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

San has remained quiet, inetnsely watching teh ship as they approach. When he gets closer, he uses his wand to cast mage armor on himself.


Bribes always welcome

The long boat glides its way across to the abandoned ship. As they approach the derelict, they see a large number of sharks patrolling the area by the hull. Egan sees a dark grey form glide underneath him. A flat black eye stares up at him as a massive shark swims underneath his canoe. The aquatic predator swims lower and disappears from sight.

They approach the Green Lady slowly. The Laugh's other longboat is still tethered to the barnacled hull, tapping against it lightly as the water moves it. The derelict's figurehead, a sea nymph turns a worm-riddled face to the reddening sky

Actions?


Elf Magus 5
Vilya the Taker wrote:


Vilya casts a sidelong look at the foppish young man, then turns to the nearest of the group, sarcastically wondering aloud in a loud stage whisper.

"It's almost like he's never been outside the city before. You don't think..."

MAgnus waggles his eyebrows at Vilya. "Of course not. Spoils the moment."

"Why? Are you volunteering to show me around? Take care of me my first trip out of 'The Big City'?" He grins.

-----

As they approach the boat, the elf takes care not to let his long hat feather droop into the water. He does cast a wary eye on the fins, but gives the approaching Green Lady his full attention.

"Hello my lovely, permission to come aboard?" He addresses the figurehead with a sweep of his hat.

Most (all?) of my spells are in-combat. SO nothing for me! Yet.:)


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

Vilya brushes the hilt of her massive kukri knife.

"Oh, I'll take care of you alright, especially if you get in my way."


Bribes always welcome

. Egan, refresh my memory about what Whisperwing can relate to you about what she sees


Elf Magus 5
Vilya the Taker wrote:

Vilya brushes the hilt of her massive kukri knife.

"Oh, I'll take care of you alright, especially if you get in my way."

Magnus looks shocked, and steps aside, grandly gesturing for Vilya to enter the boat first.

"I wouldn't dream of it!" He says with mock shock/sincerity.

"And still the best offer I've had all week!" He stage whispers to the others with a grin behind her back.

I suspect that Magnus is either going to be providing comic relief, (whether intentionally or otherwise) or he's going to be found with a kukri in his back! ;P

Don't worry. I'll tone him down before he gets TOO annoying. I hope. :)


Bribes always welcome

OK, you can climb up the hull. There's enough rigging. I assume Whisperwing can pretty much relate whats going on

Egan's hawk soars down to his shoulder

Egan:

Spoiler:
Whisperwing saw no movement on the deck, but there is a lot of damage, like a fight went on. Crossbow bolts, scorch marks, etc.

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

About how long would the ride to the ship take?


Bribes always welcome

I assumed you stopped at a respectful 1/4 mile distance, so ... 10-15 mins by boat?

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

Perfect

Citlali spends the boatride in complete silence and utter stillness, in fact should one pay close attention they would realize the her eyes were glazed over, motes of starlight seeming to dance within as she sat in a trance.

As the boat pulled up to a stop she breatehed deeply as if for the first time in ages, looking at the ship wil some sort of understanding.

Used Prophetic Visionary feat (as Augury spell 70% accuracy) to determine the outcome of boarding the ship.


Elf Magus 5

About the time they reach the other ship, the not-always-the-most-observant Magnus Notices Citali's unnatural stillness. He starts to reach towards the woman with an outstretched finger, when she takes a breath. Magnus swiftly withdraws his finger.

"Have a nice nap?" He asks jovially.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

..


Elf Magus 5

...


Bribes always welcome
Citlali One Skull wrote:

Perfect

Citlali spends the boatride in complete silence and utter stillness, in fact should one pay close attention they would realize the her eyes were glazed over, motes of starlight seeming to dance within as she sat in a trance.

As the boat pulled up to a stop she breatehed deeply as if for the first time in ages, looking at the ship wil some sort of understanding.

Used Prophetic Visionary feat (as Augury spell 70% accuracy) to determine the outcome of boarding the ship.

Citali concentrates, and receives a feeling of great danger, yet also a thread of promise amongst the danger

Weal and woe both


Bribes always welcome

OK. Vilya is headed up first yes? I need a 'boarding' order please

Vilya scrambles dexterously up the side of the abandoned hulk. She arrives at the top of the vessel. There are obvious signs of a massive fight of some kind. Scortch marks and abandoned weapons are everywhere

Vilya, a Perception roll please


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 5

Felicia will attempt to be one of the first aboard


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19


Elf Magus 5

Not to be outdone by Vilya, Magnus prepares to jump up, but bows graciously for Felicia to precede him when she displays her own eagerness. Afterwords he scrambles nimbly up himself, swinging his legs over the rail and landing next to the two ladies. His hands rest on his weapons as he glances around the deck,...

Per: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

As Citlali rises and begins to climb aboard she speaks, her tone eerily ominous in its certainty.

"Great danger lies ahead, yet also great opportunity."


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael follows Magnus up, and draws his curveblade.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4
Citlali One Skull wrote:

As Citlali rises and begins to climb aboard she speaks, her tone eerily ominous in its certainty.

"Great danger lies ahead, yet also great opportunity."

San chuckles a bit. "Yeah, I suspected as much. At least the danger part. Seems to be the case with any group I've been with. Well, we won't find any opportunity sittin' in this dingy. Let's get up there too." San climbs up into the ship following Izkrael.

Reminder that he has mage armor active.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

"Danger? I like danger. Danger's the best kind of fun."


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

,

2,351 to 2,400 of 3,255 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tales from the City of Opal All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.