Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Tales from the City of Opal

Game Master Patrick Curtin

This is my homebrew world Arcaia. This particular setting is the free city of Opal, a lush equatorial city set on the edge of an immense jungle rife with undead , ancient civilizations, and dinosaurs.


2,251 to 2,300 of 3,198 << first < prev | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | next > last >>

Bribes always welcome
Vilya the Taker wrote:
As Vilya is staying behind with the ship as well, should she be making a Perception roll too?

Absolutely. Also, FYI perception rolls are always welcome. Call them out when you Want to try your luck


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 5

Perception

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

Citlali takes in the bustle of the noonday city unaaccustomed to regular exposure to the blazing sun.She stays in what little shade there is to be had as much as possible studying the faces of those around her, and gaining a feel for the city's energy.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Egan makes a quick trip to get one of his canoe's and returns to the waterfront. He intends on roping it to the back of the ship for short trips.

1d20 + 20 ⇒ (4) + 20 = 24 Perception


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

San's too busy showing Citlali around, and the pounding in his temples result in him being fairly oblivious to most things (not making a perception check).


Bribes always welcome

Sorry I haven't updated. My life seems to be accelating like a frog in a blender

Felicia:

Spoiler:
Although you see a lot of interesting folks, you don't see anything quite out of the ordinary for the streets of Opal

Vilya:

Spoiler:
While lounging on the wharf and looking about, Vilya spies a suspicious-looking gent studiously ignoring her and the ship. The gent looks like a backcountry dweller, dressed in breechclout and an iron pectoral-and-pauldron structure that serves as body armor in this tropical land. A business-like machte hangs at his belt.

Egan:

Spoiler:
Bringing his boat back, Egan spots a gent trying to keep an eye on the boat without be obvious about it. Read Vilya's spoiler for a description

Izkrael:

Spoiler:
Iz looks about, but the scene at the wharf is very chaotic with people running back and forth


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

Forgot to mention, I will be leaving for Italy (yet again) tomorrow afternoon, and will be back by Friday. Please DMPC me as needed.

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

Once Sanvoros is done with his shopping, Citlali joins him in returning to the wharf, meeting with the others in the group before boarding the ship.


Bribes always welcome

Citlali and Sanvoros find what they need quick enough in the stores along the main road through the Driftwood District. They begin their trek back toards the ship. The shadows are lengthening as the hour gets to 3 pm. Opallines begin to stir and resume their activities after their sunsnooze.

We'll hold y'all there until the others catch up timewise


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Vilya: ** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
Vilya studies the man more closely, trying to get a bearing on his intentions.

Sense Motive: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (3) - 2 = 1

After a minute's consideration, Vilya decides that the best course of action in this case would be to sneak up behind him and try to steal his valuables.

Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28

Just noticed that I failed to update Vilya's skills from a different PbP in which she was higher level. Need to fix that...


Bribes always welcome
Vilya the Taker wrote:
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Vilya: ** spoiler omitted **
** spoiler omitted **

Vilya ghosts up to the man. He is concentrating on the ship at present and fails to notice the slim form stealthily approaching


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

Seeing that the man has not noticed her approach, Vilya decides that it is now time for petty thievery. On a whim, she decides to go for his shiny new machete along with his coinpurse.

Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

Skills have been fixed.


Elf Magus 5

Oops! I get side-swiped by RL & work, and the thread takes off! :) Always a pleasant surprise, actually. :D

Magnus makes his way through the thin crowds at the heat of the day, now almost having gotten his bearings back from years of absence. He takes grateful respite from the heat in a chandlers that he recalls, although it had a different name over the door the last time he was here. Soon he has filled his pack with a few traveling essentials. He then spends a few moments giving 'I'm off to find adventure/how about a kiss for luck?' speeches to doe-eyed damsels serving chilled brew at an open-air refreshment stand. All too soon he realizes the position of the sun, and makes his way back to the ship.

Just going over his basic camping equipment. Currently RE-reading the way that spell pool and Magus Arcana work, may make a change, although I really want to try the multiple-dancing-blade magus I envisioned! :)

Per: (on way back to ship)1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

Thread bump.


Bribes always welcome

Sorry very tough week. Nice crit roll Vilya roll me another one please just like that for skill crit confirm


Elf Magus 5

Tough week +1 (And mine ain't over yet!)

;P


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Sorry very tough week. Nice crit roll Vilya roll me another one please just like that for skill crit confirm

Huh... never played with a DM who used critical success rules before...

Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25


Bribes always welcome

Nicely done

Vilya flits up to the watching backcountry warrior, silent as a falcon's shadow. The man seems intent on their ship. Vilya lifts his purse, discovering the fool has not secured it to his belt other than a simple loop. She quickly gains the entire bag. His machete is next, the oiled blade slipping noiselessly from its sheath.

The preoccupied watcher never notices the grand larceny being perpetrated on his person


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

During their "shopping excusrion" San makes small talk with Citlali, always ensuring he faces her when speaking so she can see his lips. "So, tell me a little 'bout yourself. What part of jungle you from? What brings you into the 'big city'?"


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

As Vilya makes a stealthy retreat, she inspects her new hardware.

Anything shiny?


Elf Magus 5

Dang! nice! Remind Magnus to keep his hands on his,... everything! (Although with rolls like THAT it won't matter if he does!) :P

MAgnus strolls along back to the ship, whistling a tune he picked up in his travels, enjoying being back in the city again. If only for a brief time it would seem. Ah well. If this little side trek panned out, he should raise the capital he needed to return to his dueling club in style, and hopefully a little glory.

In case you missed it, I'm guessing that the earlier per: roll was a relative failure, and proceeding along blissfully ignorant,... ;P

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

"Iwas exiled by my people,, afraid of the bad omen I represent. Ihave survived the deepest parts of the jungle, where you could go weeks without seeing the sky once, but I was led here by Mama Quilla, the goddess of night and stars. And you Sanvoros Draben, how do you come to be in this place?"


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

.


Elf Magus 5

Re-dot, And HAppy Easter! :)


Bribes always welcome
Vilya the Taker wrote:

As Vilya makes a stealthy retreat, she inspects her new hardware.

Anything shiny?

Heh. Apologies for my silence. My dance card has been awfully busy as of late

Vilya darts to a shady alleyway to take a look at her ill-gotten gains. The Machete is a sweet piece of steel, well-balanced and razor sharp Masterwork. His pouch contains 100 GP in miscellaneous coins, many of them from places other than Opal. It also contains 3 black opals, the ebon stones that Opal was named for. Rainbows flash across their jet surfaces. Any appraisal skills?.

There is also a necklace with an odd pendant. The necklace is silver, fairly common, but the pendant is a cunning rendition of a set of shark jaws picked out in silver and mother of pearl


Bribes always welcome
Magnus Darkenstar wrote:

Dang! nice! Remind Magnus to keep his hands on his,... everything! (Although with rolls like THAT it won't matter if he does!) :P

MAgnus strolls along back to the ship, whistling a tune he picked up in his travels, enjoying being back in the city again. If only for a brief time it would seem. Ah well. If this little side trek panned out, he should raise the capital he needed to return to his dueling club in style, and hopefully a little glory.

In case you missed it, I'm guessing that the earlier per: roll was a relative failure, and proceeding along blissfully ignorant,... ;P

Correct!

Magnus walks along, inhaling the fragrance of the equatorial city: Exotic flowers blooming on wines wrapping the adobe walls, the smell of dinosaurs, dry and leathery, the redolence of nightsoil being carted from the gutters by the city's Guild of Rakers.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4
Citlali One Skull wrote:
"Iwas exiled by my people,, afraid of the bad omen I represent. Ihave survived the deepest parts of the jungle, where you could go weeks without seeing the sky once, but I was led here by Mama Quilla, the goddess of night and stars. And you Sanvoros Draben, how do you come to be in this place?"

"Heh, born and raised here. Both the city and the surrounding jungle. My mother was an elf from the northern lands, come here nearly four decades ago. My dad was an explorer and guide. They both loved checkin' out the local ruins, for fun 'n profit." His eyes get a little bit of a faraway look, and a brief flash of pain crosses them.

"That is, 'til it wasn't fun anymore. One restless deader priest of Xipe Totec, and his cadaver lackeys put an end to that. I was the only one who made it out. Took me more'n two months to make t back to Opal, and I don't eally remember anything in that time.

"Since then, I made my living serving the Feathered Serpent and takin' out the restless dead wherever I found 'em. Until a year ago, when it seems hsitory was doomed to mostly repeat. Since then, seems like I been spending more time in the cups than in teh jungle."

A smile returns to his face. "But enough of my sad-sack story. We got a job to prepare for, eh? Anything else you need to get before we head back to the docks?"


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Vilya the Taker wrote:

As Vilya makes a stealthy retreat, she inspects her new hardware.

Anything shiny?

Heh. Apologies for my silence. My dance card has been awfully busy as of late

Vilya darts to a shady alleyway to take a look at her ill-gotten gains. The Machete is a sweet piece of steel, well-balanced and razor sharp Masterwork. His pouch contains 100 GP in miscellaneous coins, many of them from places other than Opal. It also contains 3 black opals, the ebon stones that Opal was named for. Rainbows flash across their jet surfaces. Any appraisal skills?.

There is also a necklace with an odd pendant. The necklace is silver, fairly common, but the pendant is a cunning rendition of a set of shark jaws picked out in silver and mother of pearl

Vilya's eyes flash solid black for a split second as she examines her loot.

"Ooh, shiny..."

Appraise: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Vilya removes her short sword from its sheath, and replaces it with her new machete, tucking her battered sword into her belt. She tucks the three black opals into her belt pouch, along with the bag of coins, and dons the shark jaw pendant.

Hmmm... what to do now...

She saunters back to the docks, and takes a seat on her bulging backpack, a self-satisfied look on her face.


Elf Magus 5

Magnus Strolls back up to the docks casually, enjoying his stroll down memory lane. As much as some of the minor details had changed, the city had remained the same. It still had the same feel, the same,... life that he remembered.

"I guess 'tis true what they say! There IS no place like home!" he declares aloud, drawing a sidelong look from one near passerby (which immediately marked him as not from Opal).

Magnus fluffs his loooong feather, and strolls back to the ship.


Kessel sits on the pier next to his mule and sets his lute in his lap. The bard casually strums away:
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30

Did I say causally? I meant he rocks out like a guitar god. A DC 30 is enough to attract the attention from extraplanar beings after all!

Kessel stairs disdainfully at anyone crass enough to toss him some coins.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 5

Felicia remains where she is watching Kessel strum away on his lute.


Elf Magus 5

Magnus strolls up and strikes a listening pose as Kessel works his musical magic. Despite his obvious self-interest, he is duly impressed with Kessel's talent. You can tell by the way that he keeps his mouth shut while Kessel is performing.


Bribes always welcome
Kessel Cobey wrote:

Kessel sits on the pier next to his mule and sets his lute in his lap. The bard casually strums away:

1d20+10

Did I say causally? I meant he rocks out like a guitar god. A DC 30 is enough to attract the attention from extraplanar beings after all!

Kessel stairs disdainfully at anyone crass enough to toss him some coins.

Kessel's complex arrangements drift over the dock workers relaxing in the shade during the fierce early afternoon heat. No one ventures over with any coins, prefering to keep the few silvers earned for the day in their pouches. A few whistle and clap each time he pauses.


Bribes always welcome
Vilya the Taker wrote:
She saunters back to the docks, and takes a seat on her bulging backpack, a self-satisfied look on her face.

Vilya figures the opals to be worth at least 100 roses each. This watcher is carrying quite a bit of loot for an idler.

Vilya hears a curse as the watcher realizes his purse and machete have unexpectedly disappeared. The man stares around rapidly, the topknot of hair on top of his shaven skull bobbing like a large dark mushroom

Are you going to attempt to hide?


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael listens in wonder and amazement to Kessel's performance, losing himself in memories of more innocent times brought up by the melodies.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

Checking if Iz notices Vilya's angry mark, or anything else. Feel free to modify roll for his absorption in the music and memories.


Kessel finishes playing quite suddenly.

"Well it appears this damp air hasn't hurt the strings any," Kessel says in his deep rich voice, "I so hope we get under way soon, I don't mind waiting, but I'd prefer to be waiting under sail going somewhere then waiting on the dock waiting to go somewhere."


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Vilya the Taker wrote:
She saunters back to the docks, and takes a seat on her bulging backpack, a self-satisfied look on her face.

Vilya figures the opals to be worth at least 100 roses each. This watcher is carrying quite a bit of loot for an idler.

Vilya hears a curse as the watcher realizes his purse and machete have unexpectedly disappeared. The man stares around rapidly, the topknot of hair on top of his shaven skull bobbing like a large dark mushroom

Are you going to attempt to hide?

Most certainly.

Vilya ducks into a nearby alleyway, waiting for the man to grow frustrated and leave.

Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20


Elf Magus 5
Kessel Cobey wrote:

Kessel finishes playing quite suddenly.

"Well it appears this damp air hasn't hurt the strings any," Kessel says in his deep rich voice, "I so hope we get under way soon, I don't mind waiting, but I'd prefer to be waiting under sail going somewhere then waiting on the dock waiting to go somewhere."

Magnus claps. He approaches Kessel with a small grin.

"I agree with your sentiments Master Kessel. But if I have to wait, I can certainly be happy waiting to music like that! That was most impressive. If your talents for writing ballads is even half your talent for making music, I may have a business proposition for you." He smiles.


Kessel gives a slight smile to Magnus in return. Kessel wasn't one to show show his mirth openly, and the thrill of playing, what Kessel knew was a perfect performance, wouldn't be dampened by the elf's unintentional insult. There's no way he could know about his culture having never visited the mystic isles.

"Thank you Magnus," Kessel says, "It is required ability for my profession after all. But it's well known that elves appreciate good music, and if I can impress one as long lived as you with my humble talent then I must be making some improvement. As to writing, well that's a work in progress, and not something for people in my line of work to approach lightly. It's said that the work of a fili, a true master of the art, can make or break kings, bring prosperity to the land, and even win wars. I on the other hand just want to make something that will last till I've turned to dust. I've preformed songs by many of the great masters, I've devoured their work like like a man famished, and I've gleamed a few small pieces of knowledge from them. I know that what I write needs to be life. Experiences like heartbreak and pain bleed into the music like nothing else. I must drink from life's cup till I taste the dregs.

"But I suppose you might be talking about a tune you could dance to?" Kessel says raising an eyebrow, "Something to, as they say around these parts, to pay the bills? Those we can churn out pretty easily, usually we need a new song for every little event in our patron's life, and so we need to be able to come up with something quick and tidy, albeit formulaic. Not a problem, though it helps if the lord or lady's names rhyme with "ing"."


Elf Magus 5

"Hah! I'll gladly dance to whatever tune you care to play Master Kessel!" the foppish elf declares with a grin and doff of his hat.

"And should I ever inherit a kingdom, I'll make sure my title, if not name, at least rhymes with 'ing'!" He adds.

"Although I was thinking along the lines of a personal commission. But, as you say, it should be full of life. Both of the composer, and the one for whom it is intended. Just something I've been contemplating. Nothing definite yet." He raises his arched eyebrows high in a conspiratorial smile.

"Well then, shall we see if everyone is back yet? We can both get started on 'living', and see what adventure tastes like!"


Kessel nods sagely, "King rhymes with 'ing' and now I suspect you know why the title was named thusly."


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

..


Bribes always welcome
Izkrael wrote:

Izkrael listens in wonder and amazement to Kessel's performance, losing himself in memories of more innocent times brought up by the melodies.

Perception 1d20+8

Checking if Iz notices Vilya's angry mark, or anything else. Feel free to modify roll for his absorption in the music and memories.

Vilya darts in a corner

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

The watcher is oblivious. He realizes he is making a scene, and begins to walk away. Iz spots him as he heads into the Driftwood district, his black eyes blazing in fury


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

Vilya narrows her eyes at the retreating figure, grinning and quietly giggling to herself.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

.


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael notes the angry man, but decides against investigating his furious intentions, as he figures the others should be returning soon.


Bribes always welcome

OK, I am assuming that is the end of things

The group eventually reconvenes. Their ship awaits, in all its shabby glory

Anything else, speak out now or we are away to sail!


Elf Magus 5

Magnus claps his hands together and rubs them eagerly with a cheerful grin.

"Well! 'The gangs all here!' As they say. Shall we?!" He grins, bowing the ladies to walk before him,...

2,251 to 2,300 of 3,198 << first < prev | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tales from the City of Opal All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.