Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Tales from the City of Opal

Game Master Patrick Curtin

This is my homebrew world Arcaia. This particular setting is the free city of Opal, a lush equatorial city set on the edge of an immense jungle rife with undead , ancient civilizations, and dinosaurs.


2,201 to 2,250 of 3,205 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>

Bribes always welcome
Kessel Cobey wrote:

Kessel nods, "I'm sure that's a generous offer Ser, and you must forgive any breaches in protocol as I am unfamiliar with this bargaining over services and coin. Usually a man in my profession has his needs met directly by his lord. I think I may have a few other questions for you about the ship, cargo, and crew but the business of compensation is satisfied."

Kessel will want as much information as the merchant can provide, most notably a full list of crew members as well as any description they might have. If the ship were captured Kessel would want to have a good idea what the boat looks like so he could potentially identify it with a new name and paint job.

Armando nods, seemingly pleased by Kessel's thouroughness

"indeed sir, I can provide you with those details"

. Well assume that Kessel gets the basic info that Armando has, mostly ship configuration and officers of the ship.


After Kessel has a long discussion with Armando, taking careful notes, and making sure he's familiar with all the parties involved (including any possible business partners and any possible debts the business man might have outstanding with local authorities in the region) Kessel leans back in his chair.

"This brings me to my last question, and I'm afraid it will be unpleasant to hear but I need to ask it: is there any contraband aboard? Anything illicit or illegal? Anything that would be dangerous to the owner of this ship? Should the need arise were we find and commandeer your ship I need to know exactly what we're dealing with."

Sense motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

"Oh, come on... If it's not illegal, it's not any fun!"


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

San rolls his eyes a bit, listening to Kessel grill the man. He cedes the table to them, and stands up. He checks to see if Citlali needs a refill, and orders another for himself, listening to see if Armando's answers change.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

"Damn, it got quiet in here all of a sudden..."


Kessel shifts in his chair so he can take both Vilya and Armando into his eye line, "I suppose this is a sensitive topic here," Kessel finally says, "And I appreciate your humor Vilya, but if we end up finding your ship and transporting your goods Ser Armando I don't want any nasty little surprises. I can assure you that I am discrete, professional, and capable of dealing with government officials, but I have to know my employer and my business. I should also clarify something: I don't work, as a rule, for people. Rather I've been trained to serve my patron's needs. I don't judge. If my lord were a disreputable person that wouldn't reflect on me, naturally I'd prefer honest work, but questioning ethics and legality is a completely different profession then mine. Though I suppose I've studied enough of that to assist my patron should the need arise.

"Where I come from a Fili is usually the second most powerful force in a kingdom,though some would argue the most powerful as a King can be replaced, but only an idiot kills a good Fili," Kessel pauses, then his voice rises, seeming to take on some sort of sacred power, "But that is neither here nor there as we aren't in my homeland. This 'job' is something different though, you have not taken in the sacred rites to join body to land, to become both giver and taker, to become living personification of the land, and I have not sworn a sacred oath, pledged my name to yours in divine union, shared blood . . ."

Kessel suddenly pauses and leans forward to Armando:

"In ancient times when the land withered and died it was said that the king was also sick and dying, only a blood sacrifice and a new king would heal the land, I am a mercenary now Armando, I will not take your place on the alter, but I need to know the business you're in. If you are what you seem I am pleased. If you're not then tell me now. I've agreed to do this mission for you and you might have guessed that from where I come from a man's word means a great deal. Don't lie to me and I'll not have any reason to be disloyal to you."

Another sense motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

And a diplomacy 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23


Vilya the Taker wrote:
"Damn, it got quiet in here all of a sudden..."

Better?


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Kessel Cobey wrote:
Vilya the Taker wrote:
"Damn, it got quiet in here all of a sudden..."
Better?

Ha!

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

Citlali watches Kessel's face carefully, his accented words challenging her a bit more than the others as he speaks at length.

As Sanvoros returns with another drink she thanks him with a smile, shaking her head at the man's boldness.


Bribes always welcome

Armando leans back a bit, somewhat taken aback by Kessel's speech.

"Well, I don't know how you do things in your homeland, but here we respect the laws. Few things are prohibited to ship, and I carried none on my manifest. In fact, I have a detailed bill of lading here."

He pulls a small rolled parchment sheet from an inside pocket of his tunic and puts it on the table.

"Now as for the crew, I cannot vouch for what they might have brought with them. It is customary for crewmembers to do a little horse trading for themselves, and a good captain turns a blind eye as long as the amounts are small."

He looks about

"I hope that I have given you enough information to assuage you doubts. I can take you to the Driftwood District to meet your transport."


"I only wish to know what I'm dealing with," Kessel says looking over the parchment, "Personal stashes of contraband I don't foresee as being a problem. A man can't be too careful. I'd think that a man in your line of work would be more nervous of a man that wasn't thorough. Thank you for answering my questions, I'm sure it couldn't have been easy, but now that the unpleasantness is out of the way I hope to get started so we can hopefully bring you good news. Yes, please show us to our transport."


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

"Lead the way."


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

"Sure, take us to see the transport. Then, tomorrow OK to head out? I'd like to wrap up a few things here ... or a few more tankards, anyway."


Elf Magus 5

Magnus rolls his eyes at Kessel's speech, (but from out of the bard's line of sight) But listen's intently to the description of Kessel's homeland.

"Indeed! Lead on good sir. Let us meet our transport. Then there are a couple of things I'd like to 'wrap up' as well,..." He says with a glance and grin at the lovely barkeep.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

Vilya's apparent boredom seems to have increased, if only to hide a slight undercurrent of agitation. She shifts uncomfortably in her seat.

"Sure. Morning. Fine. Just as long as I get my cut. I'm going to, uh, go to... bed. Yeah, bed."

For those paying close attention as Vilya stalks off to parts unknown, she can be seen fidgeting with a tiny dagger and a candle hanging from a leather string around her neck.


Elf Magus 5

MAgnus taps his chin thoughtfully as Vilya stalks off.

"I'm sure I've met her before. I almost never forget a,... <ahem>, well, let's just say I usually have a very good memory. But I can't be expected to remember ALL the 'friends' I've made over the years now, can I?" He grins with a waggle of his elvish eyebrows.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

Thread bump.


Bribes always welcome

Armando rises

"If we are in agreement then, if you all will follow me we head to the Driftwood District."

He points with an exaggerated flourish at the door

Outside the sun has risen farther into the cobalt vault of the sky. The largest moon, Selene, is a fading blue orb almost lost near the horizon.

Armando walks along the raised sidewalks of Opal with a determined air. Three men join him as he departs, looking like bodyguards. They trail at a respectful distance as Armando chats with the party.

The city is alive with caravans setting off as the rainy season winds down. Lumpers bellow as their warty grey hides are covered in sacks of goods offloaded from trading ships by sweating laborers. The boiled red look of many of the stevedores indicate they too are recent offloads from those same ships.

Priests of Two Rabbit/Cayden are holding an improptu revival meeting under a green-striped awning. A piano belts out a raucous tune as the priests get a crowd good and liqoured up.

As the group walks farther towards the Driftwood District, the buildings fade from adobe and brick to wood planking, some so raw they still ooze sap like small amber tears from their knots. The sidewalk vanishes, and the road is mired in piles of stinking dinosaur and horse excrement. The shadows are clustered with skinny sore-covered men and women, often holding out a begging bowl as the party walks by.

Warehouses and merchant shops crowd the actual harborside. Gangs of cursing stevedores manipulate winches with netted bags attached, offloading casks, crates, sack and barrels from a dozen docked carracks.

Armando brings them to a dingy looking craft. She is Sengenise by her lines, the name of the ship picked out in the strange pictographic alphabet of that nation. Strange colored banners hang limply from much of her railings, with more pictograms embroidered on them.

Armando approaches the gangplank, which is guarded by a large scowling Senginese man in faded sailor's garb and a flat-billed cap. Strange tattoos crawl over every inch of his exposed skin, displaying a multitude of fabulous animals all intertwined. A pair of matched daggers hang from a tooled leather belt. Armando says a few words to him, and the man steps aside. Armando turms back to the party.

"I must go talk to the captain to get you all aboard. Please wait here for a moment."

Armando walks up the creaking gangplank and disappears into the strange ship.

Will update further this weekend, if there is any interplay you want we can assume it came about as you walked down to the ship


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

Is it now the next morning?


Bribes always welcome

It was dawn when you went into the Explorer's Guild


Kessel walks beside Armando, making no comment unless spoken to, but his eyes stay busy taking everything in.

Kessel hums to himself as Armando makes his way up the gang plank, a verse to his song appear on his lips before he can seal them in:

"The boat he sailed had seen better days,
the boards were shrunken from cruel sun's rays,
Illustrated flags did line her masts,
Did tell the tale of her sad long past."


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Egan strolls along with the group. So fast. Am I ready...boy I need a drink. The soothing shadow of Whisperwing then crosses his path, and he sets his face in determination, and begins to tell the others what he knows of what they might encounter along the route.

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23 Knowledge Geography

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19 Survival


"You sound like an experienced woodsman friend," Kessel says, "We do seem to be traveling together, perhaps you might entrust me with your name now? Enigmatic and mysterious are all well and good but I can't really call your 'friend' the entire trip."


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

San sees everyone leaving, and sighs. Well, guess it's now or never. He finishes his mug with one long pull, and heads to the door along with the rest. As he passes the bar, he stops a moment, slaps some coins on the bar, and asks for three bottles of the rotgut rum he was drinking. "Gonna be a while before I'm back, looks like."

How much will that run me?

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

Citlali rises and joins the group as they exit studying the city as they travel. The choice of people to exist in so small a space while at the same time building such large structures both baffled and impressed her. She would take the jungle any day, but she went where her goddess guided her.


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael follows the rest of the group, waiting for San just outside the tavern, and merely glancing at the bottles San puts away, with neither judgement nor relief at seeing them.

He enjoys the rays of the sun upon his face during the walk, seemingly almost lost in his walk.


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 5

Felicia also follows the group seemingly very eager to get started.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5
Kessel Cobey wrote:
"You sound like an experienced woodsman friend," Kessel says, "We do seem to be traveling together, perhaps you might entrust me with your name now? Enigmatic and mysterious are all well and good but I can't really call your 'friend' the entire trip."

Egan turns towards the man, and kind of mumbles under his breath...perhaps this one had not heard of him and his failure... "Coyle...Egan Coyle".


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
It was dawn when you went into the Explorer's Guild

S!~&, sorry... I remember someone talking about morning, and thought we'd been in the Explorers' Guild all day.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

As the party progresses down the street toward the docks, Vilya stealthily emerges from a back alley, smelling strongly of oil and brimstone and carrying a weatherbeaten backpack.

"Off to the docks, I see. Trying to lose me?"


Egan Coyle wrote:


Egan turns towards the man, and kind of mumbles under his breath...perhaps this one had not heard of him and his failure... "Coyle...Egan Coyle".

"Nice to meet you Coyle," Kessel says with a nod, "It will be good to know everyone's skill set before get too far into the wilds. Course I still don't know the name of the halfling woman that seems to be following us or the curt half-elf who did much of the talking. It's very disconcerting as you might imagine."

Sorry Kessel wasn't formally introduced to everyone yet. Certainly not the original characters!


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

Thread bump


Bribes always welcome

Urgh. Sorry again folks. But you can tell by the time stamp that my schedule is a little fncking insane-o right now. And I'm late for work as it stands. Will try to update later today..


Elf Magus 5

Sorry here too guys! Work is insane-o everywhere it seems! :) trying to keep up!

Magnus Joins the others as they leave, pausing only to give a knowing wink to the lovely barkeep and a silent 'I'll be back!' delivered broadly enough to be worthy of an Opera. A Bad opera.

He chats amiably with the others as they walk along, his glances at the city are of one familiar with the place, but looking at the differences since the last time he was here.


Bribes always welcome

Armando finally returns with a grimy short man in tow. The man looks to be Sengenese, but it is hard to tell with the smudges of tar and dirt besmirching him. He is dressed in what once passed for ornate rich clothing, but it has been a while since the clothes have seen soap or water. He wears a large Opalline tricorne hat, of a fashion that has been passe for years.

"Gentlefolk, may I present Feregin Quo, ship's master and your host."

The shorter man scowls and draws on a long clay pipe clenched in what remains of his teeth.

"This your group?," The man, Quo, says in a passable rendition of Salt.

Armando nods to him and turnd to the group

"Ser Feregin will take you to Shoalsbreak upon the evening tide. I have arranged for you all to have berths in one hold together. If you need anything, I suggest you purchase it in Opal. Shoalsbreak doesn't have much by way of amenitities."


Elf Magus 5

"Evening tide? Well then, I'd better see to getting a few supplies." Magnus says with a grin.

Re-dot! :)


Bribes always welcome

OK, anything last minute needs to be done let me know or I will fast forward the action

The sun has risen to almost its full height as Armando and the scowling Captain Feregin Quo complete their negotiations. The sea breeze keeps most of the humidity off the party, but the Driftwood District's many stinks assail their nose. Those new to this city can feel the equatorial sun prickling their skin.


"This heat must take some getting used to," Kessel muses to his new companions, as he quickly wipes his face with a handkerchief, "We do occasionally have hot days up north, but only in the height of summer, and almost never with this dampness in the air."


Elf Magus 5

Magnus claps his new friend Kessel on the shoulder.

"Indeed! It is said that on a good day, the merfolk can trade with the land-bound IN the marketplace, and not just from the sea-side!" He grins.

"I knew a sailor once who claimed to have seen a mer-girl swimming through the air, it was so damp! Of course, he was pretty wasted at the time, so I'm pretty certain that merwomen weren't the only thing he saw swimming through the air,..." he winks broadly.

Magnus claps his hands together and rubs them briskly.

"Well then, I'm off to pick up a few supplies! See you later!" He bows grandly, doffing and waving his wide-brimmed hat and long feather with a bow worthy of a court sycophant. He replaces it it at a jaunty angle, and walks off through the crowd. Soon only his ridiculous purple feather can be seen bobbing slightly over the heads of the crowd.

I'll just double-check my equipment list, make sure I actually list everything I planned to buy. ;)


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

"Yeah, I need some more ... supplies, too," San quips. "How about you?" he asks Citlali. "I know a few of the supply shops 'round here, if you want to come with."

How much were those three bottles of rum I acquired above?


Female Halfling Swashbuckler 5

"I think I'm good to go."

Sczarni

Female Human Oracle of the Heavens 5

Citlali trusts San to have a better grasp of the city than she does, agreeing to come along. Already the venture proved interesting, and she could feel the fimialr ease that came with aligning with the path of the stars.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

Vilya throws a dirty look at Magnus' retreating form.

"Gods, does he ever stop talking?"

Shaking her head, she pats her bulging pack.

"Got everything I need right here. Because I'm prepared. Unlike some other people."


Bribes always welcome
Sanvoros Draben wrote:

"Yeah, I need some more ... supplies, too," San quips. "How about you?" he asks Citlali. "I know a few of the supply shops 'round here, if you want to come with."

How much were those three bottles of rum I acquired above?

A bottle of cheap rum can be had for about 5 CP. Top end rum runs about 1 GP. There is a lot of sugar plantations about to make the stuff.


Bribes always welcome
Magnus Darkenstar wrote:
"Well then, I'm off to pick up a few supplies! See you later!" He bows grandly, doffing and waving his wide-brimmed hat and long feather with a bow worthy of a court sycophant. He replaces it it at a jaunty angle, and walks off through the crowd. Soon only his ridiculous purple feather can be seen bobbing slightly over the heads of the crowd.

The noontime crowds in the Driftwood District seem bent on finding a cool spot to sweat out the hot part of the day. Opallines usually take a 'sunsnooze' during the hottest hours, emerging about 3 hours after noon to continue their day. A city this size guarantees that not everyone relaxes during the hot period. Magnus sees several chandlery shops about, carrying everything a ship or sailor could need. Coils of tarred hemp rope sit like turgid bliack snakes flanking their doors.


Vilya the Taker wrote:

Vilya throws a dirty look at Magnus' retreating form.

"Gods, does he ever stop talking?"

Shaking her head, she pats her bulging pack.

"Got everything I need right here. Because I'm prepared. Unlike some other people."

"A fili is always prepared," Kessel says with a smirk, "though I do hope there's room aboard for Yorick."


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael leans against a wharf post and waits for everyone to get back from their errands.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

3 of the cheap stuff, it is then!

San is content to lead Citlali to some of the better supply shops he knows. His earlier buzz begins to wear off, and the alcohol combined with the intense sun begins to send his head throbbing. "Gods, I wish I had prepared prestidigitation today," he swears silently when Citlali's back is turned.


Bribes always welcome
Izkrael wrote:
Izkrael leans against a wharf post and waits for everyone to get back from their errands.

The busy dockside scene gives Iz plenty of things to see. The stevedores are calling off their labors and heading to the many saloons to while away their sunsnooze. A trio of Theranan sailors in dress white tunics and turbans walk by, eyes wide with the look of newashores. Roll a Perception Check.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

As Vilya is staying behind with the ship as well, should she be making a Perception roll too?

2,201 to 2,250 of 3,205 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tales from the City of Opal All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.