Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Tales from the City of Opal

Game Master Patrick Curtin

This is my homebrew world Arcaia. This particular setting is the free city of Opal, a lush equatorial city set on the edge of an immense jungle rife with undead , ancient civilizations, and dinosaurs.


2,001 to 2,050 of 3,207 << first < prev | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | next > last >>

Male Human Sorcerer 5

"Sure, let's take a break here. Who knows, maybe the natives won't try to kill us."


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

"Why not just rest here for the evening, and regain our strength? We could move a little ways away, and try to recoup from our injuries and regain our magic to full."


Bribes always welcome
Sanvoros Draben wrote:
"Why not just rest here for the evening, and regain our strength? We could move a little ways away, and try to recoup from our injuries and regain our magic to full."

Looking up at the blue circle above, the group estimates it is now getting into the afternoon time. The bridge they have emerged onto has a large round balcony-type start before thinning out. There are several stairways leading off that head to vine-choked buildings carved into the crater face.

Knowledge (Dungeoneering/Xoltec/history) DC 15:

Spoiler:
The large crater they are in is called in the Xoltec tounge a cenote. These are found all through the Jungle of Skulls, and the Xoltecs often built dwellings within them. They also often have signs of ancient Sliss'pok inhabitation. Some think the ancient lizardman civilization created the cenotes with their magic.

The party can reach three distinct buildings nearby:

  • A large building with a large doorless opening wreathed in Xoltec glyphs and statuary under the vines
  • A building with many windows and several entrances, fairly plain on the exterior with stairways leading upwards.
  • A large building somewhat below the bridge that looks to have other stairways leading down to the large lake below

Actions?


Male Human Sorcerer 5

"Not the building with glyphs. Nothing good can come from a building like that. Not the building near the lake either, too many things could come crawling out of that lake. So, if we're going to set up camp down here, let's set it up in the one with all the windows. Easy to watch whatever's happening outside, anyway."


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4

I'm so sorry guys. Work has once more been a freakin' nightmare and the last week has seen me totally worn out, to the point where I have been going to bed at the same time as the kids instead of staying up to do my internets. :(

Pat:
Pat I'm really sorry. I have had far too many absences lately and I apologise. If you want me to drop out then I fully understand.
If however you want me to stay, Jo would have thanked San and Ten for the assistance. She also would have tried re-examining the offal filled bowl, this time with both her Rapiers, pushing the offal out of the bowl to see if any more of the grubs are present and trying to get to the item she felt. Whether or not she found it, she would have followed the others to the cenote.
It's your call and I will abide by your decision.


Bribes always welcome

Hey Jo/Flash it's all good. There wasn't anything in the bowl but a rock, it was kinda a sneaky GM trap :P. Don't worry about the absence, we are just finding a new place to play ..

The group heads over towards the building with the many windows. It turns out to be a weird sort of 'appartment complex, mostly dug into the cliff face. Individual rooms look over the circular lake below. The main doorway opens to a large foyer. Two hallways lead off of the large foyer. There look to be holes to the next floor, but whatever ladders once graced them they are long gone. Vegetation clings to every surface, and the hum of large insects and small lizards can be heard.

Actions??


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


Bribes always welcome
Izkrael wrote:
Perception 1d20+6

Iz:

Spoiler:
Iz casts his keen eye around the room. The walls are painted with faded murals that once were vivid scenes of Xoltec life. Skulls and skeletons seem to be a common theme, as are human sacrifice and figures that look vaguely demonic.

The floor shows some interesting trails through the dirt and rubble. It looks like someone or something walk down the hallways on a fairly regular basis, there's a defined 'trail' of stomped-down dirt.


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4

Joleesa follows the others along the corridor, although she seems distracted, rubbing her arm every few minutes despite the fact that Ten healed all of the wounds the Rot Grubs inflicted.
Once they enter the cenote however, her sense of wonder is piqued and she gazes around at the village suspended along the walls. She agrees with Tobias' suggestion about the windowed structure and heads inside with the others to have a look around.

Perception Check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Egan gives the place the once over as well.

1d20 + 18 ⇒ (20) + 18 = 38 Perception (+2 if considered Jungle, +2 if concerning animal)

As Whisperwing, soars above the clearing stretching his wings.


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael makes sure to point out to the others the oft-used trail in the hallway.

"Everyone stay alert. We aren't the only ones interested in this structure."


Bribes always welcome
Egan Coyle wrote:

Egan gives the place the once over as well.

1d20+18 Perception (+2 if considered Jungle, +2 if concerning animal)

As Whisperwing, soars above the clearing stretching his wings.

Now THAT'S a Perception check!

Spoiler:
egan lets Whisperwing fly, the bird soaring high above the cenote ruins. He looks about the area Read Iz's spoiler, and as he does something catches his eye. Further along the cenote wall are more buildings similar to this one. At the window of one, he catches a glimpse of a head, staring out towards them! It LOOKS human, but looks can be deceiving. The building is a good distance away, but these ruins are definitely inhabited by SOMETHING ...

Qadira

DO NOT STICK FINGERS IN CAGE

Oh as an FYI, might not be posting this weekend due to incoming visitors.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28

San also scans the area ...


Bribes always welcome
Sanvoros Draben wrote:

perception 1d20+11

San also scans the area ...

San:

Spoiler:
San is convinced by subtle signs that although no one lives HERE, there are inhabitants that dwell in the area and travel through the building on their way elsewhere...


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

"OK, based upon the trails and other signs, I don't think anyone lives in this particular building. But I do think there are folks that seem to be passing through here quite regularly. I'm guessing this may not be the best spot to bed down in. And the people passing through may very well be nearby; wouldn't be surprised if this village or whatever it is, is still inhabited."


Male Human Sorcerer 5

"And three guesses for who they worship. So, now what? I for one hope to get out of here with my skin still attached."


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4
Tobias Marshalsea wrote:
"I for one hope to get out of here with my skin still attached."

Joleesa looks down at her arm and winces. "Yeah, I've become quite attatched to my skin and wouldn't be happy to see someone wearing it like a dress." She glances around the area, but seems too distracted to notice anything out of the ordinary.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

"I saw something looking out of that window there", Egan says pointing. "Should we try to make friends with the residents here". "I'm willing to step out into the open, and try to draw some attention, if you guys would cover me".


Bribes always welcome

OK, back in the saddle. Actions folks??

As the light fades some more, the noise of birds and flying lizards ratchets up a bit. There is also some deep weird *GRRRRRONK* call that echoes from somewhere on occasion.

The building seems to be solid, the masonry ancient, but well-constructed. The lengthening shadows give the vine-choked ruin an air of mystery.

Actions?


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5
Dungeon Monkey wrote:

OK, back in the saddle. Actions folks??

As the light fades some more, the noise of birds and flying lizards ratchets up a bit. There is also some deep weird *GRRRRRONK* call that echoes from somewhere on occasion.

The building seems to be solid, the masonry ancient, but well-constructed. The lengthening shadows give the vine-choked ruin an air of mystery.

Actions?

Egan attempts to identify the sound before moving forward.

Knowledge Nature (1d20+6=9) (+2 if animal, +2 for jungle)


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4
Egan Coyle wrote:
"I saw something looking out of that window there", Egan says pointing. "Should we try to make friends with the residents here". "I'm willing to step out into the open, and try to draw some attention, if you guys would cover me".

"Maybe, but you're one of our best archers. Should probably use someone else as ... bait, maybe one of our charmers."


Bribes always welcome
Egan Coyle wrote:


Egan attempts to identify the sound before moving forward.

Knowledge Nature (1d20+6=9) (+2 if animal, +2 for jungle)

Egan:

Spoiler:
It sounds like a glandular frog of some type. There are giant frogs in the jungle here.


Male Human Sorcerer 5
Sanvoros Draben wrote:
"Maybe, but you're one of our best archers. Should probably use someone else as ... bait, maybe one of our charmers."

"Well, who would you suggest?" Tobais looks at the rest of you, and an awkward silence forms. "You want me to be the bait, don't you? Well, I'm not going to be bait alone, let me tell you that much."


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

"I'll be the bait. Let them come to me."


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4

Joleesa hears mention of someone acting as bait and her eyes widen slightly. She looks down at her arms and back to the group but keeps her mouth shut as Tobias and Izkrael both start talking.


Bribes always welcome

Bumping this. So what exactly is your plan? Iz sitting out front of the building?


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

San readies his bow, and looks to his friend. "Just like we used to do against the raptors of the south, Iz. Although in this case, I think they already know we're here, so no sense hiding. The rest of us will cover you; I trust your instincts, so if you feel threatened, pull back and give the signal."


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael walks outside the building, and sits down cross-legged on the ground about 15 feet away from the door. He places his sword unsheathed in his lap, and watches the jungle and cliffs patiently.

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
+2 vs. Undead


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4

Joleesa pulls the strange weapon from her back and gives it a once over, making sure the wands are secure in their barrels, before taking up a position where she can see Izkrael but not be noticed herself.

Stealth Check: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18


Bribes always welcome

Iz seats himself on the porch of the building There is no 15' feet away, because you folks are in a cliff dwelling.

Everyone gimmie a Perception roll please

DC 15

Spoiler:
The jungle all of a sudden gets quiet

DC 20

Spoiler:
You hear a footfall from somewhere above


Male Human Sorcerer 5

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Tobias' eyes dart around nervously. "Wait, did you hear that? Sounds like someones above us."


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

Busily getting an arrow nocked in his bow, San looks up, startled at Tobias's declaration. "Huh?"


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

1d20 + 17 ⇒ (13) + 17 = 30 perception


Bribes always welcome
Egan Coyle wrote:
1d20 +17 perception

Egan:

Spoiler:
Egan hears a footfall from above, and spies a flash of ...something in the holes above their heads. Something is above them, something big and stealthy.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Egan looks up in agreement, then getting the attention of anyone looking at him gestures that something big and quiets is above them.

Does it seem to Egan that whatever it is could be sneaking up on Iz? If so he will shout to warn him.


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4

Perception Check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Joleesa looks up at Tobias and Egan's warning, but all she can make out is a distinct lack of noise. "I can't hear... well anything. Like everything went quiet all of a sudden." She whispers from the shadows.


Bribes always welcome

What Egan hears is actually occuring above their heads on the second level. There are creatures above them on the second floor, trying to sneak up on them!

Gimmie a group init and we'll get this rolling


Male Human Sorcerer 5

1d20 ⇒ 20


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4
Tobias Marshalsea wrote:
20

Nice... :)


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

San keeps his bow at the ready, with an arrow ready. "OK, guys, we shoot first and ask questions later, or try and talk our way outta this one? Me, I'm not usually one for gabbing ..."


Male Human Sorcerer 5

"Alright, I might be able to convince them we're on their side. Of course, bit less likely since they're probably listening to us right now, but I can give it a shot if they don't just shoot us."


Bribes always welcome

Sorry folks, RL kicking me ATM. Will try and pick up threads soon..


Bribes always welcome

Initiatives Rd one:
Joleesa: 28
Izkrael: 24
Egan: 23
Vilya: 23
Sanvoros: 22
Seven Eagle: 22
Tobias: 22
Ten: 21
Mystery men: 12

Sensing that their stealthy approach has been spotted, the hidden foes start crying out and shooting arrows down the shaft holes.

OK. The adversaries are on the second floor. They are only visible slightly through three round openings in the ceiling. They now effectively have +4 AC cover. The openings are ten feet (3M) off the ground floor with no visible means of accessing the top floor. You folks have the first moves, I will endeavor to get a map done soonish ...


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Can Izkrael see any of them through any windows on the second floor?


Bribes always welcome
Izkrael wrote:

Can Izkrael see any of them through any windows on the second floor?

Yes. You can now see them flikering past the open windows. Same cover as the floor. They look to be humans ..


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Egan quickly scans the room to see if there is anywhere safe from the arrows from above.

1d20 + 17 ⇒ (14) + 17 = 31 perception

If not he will quickly run from the room and seek cover outside.

"Well our neighbors have proved their hospitality". "What say we give them a housewarming party". "Say a nice Smokey smudge fire in the room underneath".


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4

Joleesa attempts to draw a bead on the flitting shapes before a bolt of flame leaps from the end of the strange weapon she is now pointing at one of the holes.

Attack with Wand Rifle using ray of flame: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Fire Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4
The target must also make a Reflex Save or catch fire, taking 1d6 points of fire damage immediately and then another 1d6 fire damage each round until the flames are put out (DC 15 Reflex Save; Core Rulebook p.444 Catching Fire).


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

San targets one of the human shapes with magic missile, and two of the force bolts streak from his fingers striking one.

damage 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (1, 1) + 2 = 4


Male Human Sorcerer 5

Tobias concentrates on the area above them, and thick strands of webbing soon cover the upper room. "Alright, let's get somewhere they can't drop burning pitch on our heads."

Casting Web on the upper area, if possible. (DC 16)

2,001 to 2,050 of 3,207 << first < prev | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tales from the City of Opal All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.