Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Tales from the City of Opal

Game Master Patrick Curtin

This is my homebrew world Arcaia. This particular setting is the free city of Opal, a lush equatorial city set on the edge of an immense jungle rife with undead , ancient civilizations, and dinosaurs.


1,801 to 1,850 of 3,195 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>

Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4
Tobias Marshalsea wrote:

"So, an altar on a bridge over a chasm in a temple of Xipe Totec. No way this could take a turn for the worse. Still, better than just jumping off the bridge. Let's take a closer look."

Tobias then casts Light on another bolt and reloads it.

"No kidding. Ambush spot, anyone?" San picks up a rock, casts light on it, and then uses [i]mage hand[.i] to float it towards the platform in the middle of the chasm.

"Maybe this will help us get a better look, too. Once we do that, who wants to be the guinea ... er, volunteer, to follow it out there? I'll come with; not sure anyone should go at it alone, but probably shouldn't risk the whole group, either."


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Sanvoros Draben wrote:
"Maybe this will help us get a better look, too. Once we do that, who wants to be the guinea ... er, volunteer, to follow it out there? I'll come with; not sure anyone should go at it alone, but probably shouldn't risk the whole group, either."

"I think Egan should go."


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4
Sanvoros Draben wrote:
"Maybe this will help us get a better look, too. Once we do that, who wants to be the guinea ... er, volunteer, to follow it out there?"

In my head, why do I keep coming back to the time in our Pen & paper game when the Dragon swooped down on the guy crossing the bridge and knocked him into the chasm...

"Maybe we should try and see what's down there as well," says Joleesa pointing to the light below them. "Anyone have enough rope to get down that far, or even some kind of levitation or flying spell?"


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

Ten stops peering over the edge and looks up at the others, seeing no volunteers he steps forward, "come on San, I am growing old while we wait for some one to grow a pair!" he chuckles, "lets get going."

He leads the way out onto the bridge, axe in hand.


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael joins Ten in his progression across the chasm.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Egan speaks up. "Wait!" I am the lighter of us and probably the most observant". "Why don't we tie a rope to me, and send me across, bow at ready". "With you strong guys holding the other end, even if worst case I fell your could drag me back up". "I am probably the best candidate".

He then looks at Vilya with a rueful smile. "So much for leading the way when we are not in the wilds huh"? "Beware, your true nature is showing".


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael pauses.

"Alone Egan? So be it."

He sheathes his sword and unlimbers his bow, knocking an arrow.

"May the Feathered Serpent watch you." he prays.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Egan Coyle wrote:

Egan speaks up. "Wait!" I am the lighter of us and probably the most observant". "Why don't we tie a rope to me, and send me across, bow at ready". "With you strong guys holding the other end, even if worst case I fell your could drag me back up". "I am probably the best candidate".

He then looks at Vilya with a rueful smile. "So much for leading the way when we are not in the wilds huh"? "Beware, your true nature is showing".

Vilya frowns slightly, hissing in irritation.

"Giant caverns aren't exactly usual dungeon fare. I don't like big open spaces."

Taking a position somewhere in the middle of the group, she continues.

"And by true nature, you obviously mean 'alive for the foreseeable future,' then you're absolutely right. You, on the other hand..."


Bribes always welcome

San's lighted pebble floats over to the center area. There seems to be two piles of dark cobwebbed material there. Egan gets tied to a rope Who's got it on their goodie sheet? and heads out to the center, trailing the hemp? Silk? rope behind him.

Any other actions on y'all's part while he walks to the center?


Male Human Sorcerer 5

We'll use my 50 feet of rope, I suppose. I already took it out to get Jo out of the pit.

Tobias looks on with interest.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

San brings the pebble back, and drops it in Egan's hand. "Here, hold this a sec. Before you go across, I've got an idea." San opens one of his scroll tubes, and removes one of the parchments from within. He casts detect undead and begins scanning the entire area, including the center platform and as far down the chasm as he can reach with the spell (range 60')


Bribes always welcome
Sanvoros Draben wrote:
San brings the pebble back, and drops it in Egan's hand. "Here, hold this a sec. Before you go across, I've got an idea." San opens one of his scroll tubes, and removes one of the parchments from within. He casts detect undead and begins scanning the entire area, including the center platform and as far down the chasm as he can reach with the spell (range 60')

The spell reveals no undead in the area.


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

Ten Foot stops a dozen steps onto the bridge, "If your sure," he nods to Egan and steps to the edge to let him pass.

"I will be right here little man," he chuckles as he passes.


Bribes always welcome

Egan inches out on the narrow bridge. It gives him a bit of vertigo, but the stone seems solid. He can see worn Xoltec-style imagery on the edges of the narrow length. The sound of distant water gurgles far below.

He approaches the center area. A wider spot in the bridge, with a heaped pile of ... something on either side. As he approaches warily, he sees they are some sort of rotted wooden structures, covered in years of cobwebs. The central dias is supported by a massive stalagmite that's positioned directly below it, angling downwards into the darkness. The shaft is also carved in intricate designs, also swathed in years of cobwebs and mold.

Everyone actually on the bridge give me a Perception roll ..


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Perception Perception (1d20+17=26)


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

Perception +3 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Ten Foot is busy peering over the edge, oblivious to everything around him.


Bribes always welcome
Egan Coyle wrote:
Perception Perception (1d20+17=26)

Egan:

Spoiler:
Egan's sharp senses pick up that the webbing on the two mounds is actually moving a bit. It looks as if both masses are covered in palm-sized spiders. They look like albino cave spiders. Egan knows from hard experience that many of this pallid genus are poisonous, so it is best to tread warily.

When he pauses to look at the mounds (which he guesses were ballistae at some point before they rotted) he also hears a clicking scuttling type of sound. He's not sure where in this gigantic echo chamber the noise is coming from...


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Egan Coyle wrote:
Perception Perception (1d20+17=26)

Egan:

** spoiler omitted **

Fearing the worst Egan looks upward. "Can anybody get some light up there he says gesturing with his head as he looks upwards".

Perception (+19 if animal) (1d20+17=25)


Male Human Sorcerer 5

"If you insist." Tobias fires another Lighted bolt towards the ceiling, then reloads.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

"This may work a little better." San floats the lighted pebble up towards the ceiling.


Bribes always welcome

Egan looks up just as the bolt from Tobias and San's pebble both head upwards.

Far above, several dark masses are moving on the ceiling. Egan's keen senses recognize several very large spiders scuttling among massive webs strung among the stalagtites. These pallid horrors avoid the lights, keeping to the shadows.

Egan hears a noise and whips around, looking towards the center platform. Several pale spider legs appear from the underside, pulling a bloaded white spider the size of a small pony onto the bridge.

Roll them initiatives!


Female Human Rogue/Swashbuckler 1/4

Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 13

Joleesa's eyes go wide and then dart to Ten for an instant as she puts away her Mace. She then moves forward towards Egan and the huge Spider on the bridge, brandishing Raptorstrike.


>NEW MAP<

After repeated malware troubles with Photobucket, I have moved my graphics to Flikr. I hope that this doesn't inconvenience anyone


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

Ten Foot looks up from his daydream only to find it has turned into a nightmare, his eyes bulge in their socket and his fight or flight mechanism kicks in, every muscle in his body tensing, ready to run shrieking like a cheer leader the second he can act.

If I am not webbed in place by the time it is my go, I am running, screaming and flailing my arms about as I go. Knocking people out the way or off the edge if they try to stop me.


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3

Vilya draws her kukri and machete.

"Saw that one coming. Well, I handled the last one quite nicely."


Male Human Sorcerer 5

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Tobias gasps as the spider crawls up from beneath the bridge. "Alright Ten, calm down, you have to face your fears eventually..." Tobias readies himself to jump out of the way of Ten.

That's it, if we're still fighting spiders in about five levels, I'm just going to start using Suggestion on Ten to make him stay.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Egan begins to move off the bridge, after firing a shot at one of the attacking spiders. He is much more effective from a distance.

Initiative 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Do Spiders qualify as Animals for favored enemy benefits?


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

Forgot my initiative roll:

Initiative: +1 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

Spiders are Vermin, unfortunately, not animals ...

"Aww, jeez ... I wanna know how the heck these things survive down here? Well, this time they've bit off more than they can chew."

San says a few arcane words, and a bolt of flame shoots from his outstretched hand toward the arachnid on the podium.

scorching ray 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
damage 4d6 ⇒ (2, 4, 3, 3) = 12


Male Human Sorcerer 5
Sanvoros Draben wrote:

Spiders are Vermin, unfortunately, not animals ...

"Aww, jeez ... I wanna know how the heck these things survive down here? Well, this time they've bit off more than they can chew."

"Eating adventurers, probably." Tobias quickly steps out of Ten's path, raises his free hand and fires two bolts of magic at the spider.

Casting Magic Missile on the thing: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (4, 1) + 2 = 7


Bribes always welcome
Sanvoros Draben wrote:

initiative 1d20+2

Spiders are Vermin, unfortunately, not animals ...

Thanks San/Bryan!

Sanvoros Draben wrote:
"Aww, jeez ... I wanna know how the heck these things survive down here? Well, this time they've bit off more than they can chew."

Jeez? LOL And maybe they eat giant cave crickets...


Bribes always welcome

Initiatives rd 1:
Don't forget folks, we use group initiative: I took the first roll from Jo as your base ...

Joleesa: 21 [moving forward]
Izkrael: 17 [pending]
Egan: 16 [shot pending]
Vilya: 16 [pending]
Sanvoros: 15 [scortching ray]
Seven Eagle: 15 [Bardchant +1 atk/dam/charm/fear]
Tobias: 15 [Mag missile]
Ten: 14 [Run away! RUN AWAY!]
Albino Cave Spiders: 10 [Attacking]

San and Tobias unleash their arcane bolts at the pale arachnid. It squeals like a branded Lumper when it is hit. It drops off the side of the bridge. Another spider clambers onto the center platform as the first disappears from sight.


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

Ten Foot continues to scream like this guy as he disappears down the corridor.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14 Hunters Bow

1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6damage

Gotta tell you I don't like the group initiative thing. It's just unrealistic that everyone reacts at the same pace everytime. I understand it's to speed things up but maybe either you could roll, or we could provide you 10 rolls or so at a time and you just use them as needed. Certainly doesn't bother my enjoyment of the game, but it is something that bugs me ;).


Female Human Binder 2 / Rogue 3
Ten Foot Twin Eater wrote:
Ten Foot continues to scream like this guy as he disappears down the corridor.

That just made my day.


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael fires an arrow off at the spider once he gets a shot.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


Bribes always welcome
Egan Coyle wrote:
Gotta tell you I don't like the group initiative thing. It's just unrealistic that everyone reacts at the same pace everytime. I understand it's to speed things up but maybe either you could roll, or we could provide you 10 rolls or so at a time and you just use them as needed. Certainly doesn't bother my enjoyment of the game, but it is something that bugs me ;).

Tell you what Scranford/Egan, I'll try the next battle with individual inits, but I'm telling you it will slow down play.


Male Daytona 500 DM / 12
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Egan Coyle wrote:
Gotta tell you I don't like the group initiative thing. It's just unrealistic that everyone reacts at the same pace everytime. I understand it's to speed things up but maybe either you could roll, or we could provide you 10 rolls or so at a time and you just use them as needed. Certainly doesn't bother my enjoyment of the game, but it is something that bugs me ;).
Tell you what Scranford/Egan, I'll try the next battle with individual inits, but I'm telling you it will slow down play.

Maybe just have everybody give you 10 rolls in advance or roll yourself. I can see how waiting for everybody to roll would slow things down, but there are other options


Bribes always welcome

Initiatives rd 1:

Joleesa: 21 [moving forward]
Izkrael: 17 [miss]
Egan: 16 [miss]
Vilya: 16 [pending]
Sanvoros: 15 [scortching ray]
Seven Eagle: 15 [Bardchant +1 atk/dam/charm/fear]
Tobias: 15 [Mag missile]
Ten: 14 [Run away! RUN AWAY!]
Albino Cave Spiders: 10 [Attacking]

Iz and Egan's arrows both hiss by the spider's pallid thorax. The spider shoots a web from its spinnerette at egan.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

The web hits Egan solidly, gumming him up with thick strands of white.

DC 14 strength check to free yourself, or a DC 14 Escape Artist roll, eother or


Bribes always welcome
scranford wrote:
Maybe just have everybody give you 10 rolls in advance or roll yourself. I can see how waiting for everybody to roll would slow things down, but there are other options

Well, I would propose that everyone try and roll first. I really don't want to hold onto ten rolls, and I think me rolling would cut everyone out of the loop.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5
Dungeon Monkey wrote:

Initiatives rd 1:

Joleesa: 21 [moving forward]
Izkrael: 17 [miss]
Egan: 16 [miss]
Vilya: 16 [pending]
Sanvoros: 15 [scortching ray]
Seven Eagle: 15 [Bardchant +1 atk/dam/charm/fear]
Tobias: 15 [Mag missile]
Ten: 14 [Run away! RUN AWAY!]
Albino Cave Spiders: 10 [Attacking]

Iz and Egan's arrows both hiss by the spider's pallid thorax. The spider shoots a web from its spinnerette at egan.

1d20+7

The web hits Egan solidly, gumming him up with thick strands of white.

DC 14 strength check to free yourself, or a DC 14 Escape Artist roll, eother or

I'll try a STR check since Escape artist takes a full minute.

STR Check (1d20+1=7) This is why I use a bow ;-)


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4
Egan Coyle wrote:


I'll try a STR check since Escape artist takes a full minute.

It is a STANDARD action to use escape artist or a Strength burst check to escape a giant spiders webbing, here are the rules:

Web (Ex) Creatures with the web ability can use webs to support themselves and up to one additional creature of the same size. In addition, such creatures can throw a web up to eight times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size category larger than the web spinner. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check or burst the web with a Strength check. Both are standard actions with a DC equal to 10 + 1/2 creature's HD + creature's Con modifier. Attempts to burst a web by those caught in it suffer a –4 penalty.

Web spinners can create sheets of sticky webbing up to three times their size. They usually position these sheets to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed on a DC 20 Perception check to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot-square section of web has a number of hit points equal to the Hit Dice of the creature that created it and DR 5/—.

A creature can move across its own web at its climb speed and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web.

Format: web (+8 ranged, DC 16, 5 hp); Location: Special Attacks.


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5
Ten Foot Twin Eater wrote:
Egan Coyle wrote:


I'll try a STR check since Escape artist takes a full minute.

It is a STANDARD action to use escape artist or a Strength burst check to escape a giant spiders webbing, here are the rules:

Web (Ex) Creatures with the web ability can use webs to support themselves and up to one additional creature of the same size. In addition, such creatures can throw a web up to eight times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size category larger than the web spinner. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check or burst the web with a Strength check. Both are standard actions with a DC equal to 10 + 1/2 creature's HD + creature's Con modifier. Attempts to burst a web by those caught in it suffer a –4 penalty.

Web spinners can create sheets of sticky webbing up to three times their size. They usually position these sheets to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed on a DC 20 Perception check to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot-square section of web has a number of hit points equal to the Hit Dice of the creature that created it and DR 5/—.

A creature can move across its own web at its climb speed and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web.

Format: web (+8 ranged, DC 16, 5 hp); Location: Special Attacks.

Cool Ten. Thanks for the clarification. I was basing it off escaping from entanglement in the skill description. Either way unfortunately what I rolled has me firmly tangled up. I should have followed your lead(Actually thought I did by retreating after firing, but I guess he got me on the way out. I should have worded it more carefully ;-))


Bribes always welcome
Egan Coyle wrote:
Cool Ten. Thanks for the clarification. I was basing it off escaping from entanglement in the skill description. Either way unfortunately what I rolled has me firmly tangled up. I should have followed your lead(Actually thought I did by retreating...

The problem with retreating is that you are on a narrow bridge with Ten and San at the forefront behind you. It would take some tricky finagling to get past them without everyone getting off the bridge.


Bribes always welcome

OH and NEW ROUND! Post up them actions!


Male Half-Elf Ranger 1 / Wizard (transmuter) 4

San looks at Ten, and says, "Pull it together, big guy! We need you here!" He first reaches into his pouch and activates his pearl of power to recall his magic missile spell. San then moves forward next to Egan, hoping to draw the spider's attention away from his currently helpless companion.


Male Human Sorcerer 5

Tobias once again fires two bolts of magic at the spider.

Taking advantage of how many first level spells I have to cast Magic Missile again. 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (4, 3) + 2 = 9


Male Half Orc - Half Human- Half Something Else (I know that is 3 halves, but he is a big chap) Cleric Level 4

Ten Foot relies on his darkvision to carry him to safely past the back lines of the group and perhaps another 30 feet onward. His companions pleas for aid drowned out by his girly shrieks.


Male Elf Paladin/Ranger 4/1

Izkrael drops his bow and runs to Egan's side. If he can get there in a move action, he will also attempt to aid Egan in his next escape attempt.

Strength or Escape Artist 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13


Male Half-elf Ranger / 5

Egan frantically pulls and twists at the sticky web, and gives Iz a nod of thanks as he tries to assist.

Escape artist (1d20+4=11) 13 if Iz can help :-(.

1,801 to 1,850 of 3,195 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Tales from the City of Opal All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.