Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Sv's - First Steps part 1 : In Service to Lore

Game Master sveden

GM-Sveden attempts his first PBP campaign. In Service to Lore is part one of the three part First Steps series of modules.


301 to 350 of 389 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco starts to sweat a bit as he has been found out before he even gets to take a turn at marbles. He dusts himself off as one of the boys picks him up.

Maybe while Karal is distracting them I can take my chance!


Thomas and Steffan take the offered snack but the third boy seems more intent on finding the best angle for his next marble than talking.

In response to Karal's last question the two boys give each other a sideways glance.

Steffan gets a serious look on his face as he explains,

"Auntie Baltwin is a great cook and she helped me get well when I was sick with a bad cough. The only thing I don't like is the chores."

Thomas remains silent but nods at his friend's statement.

GM:

Wren: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Ticco: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Karal: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Alliver: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Both boys look behind them towards the orphanage and stiffen. Suddenly returning to their marbles.

The party's eyes follow the children's glance back to the porch but see nothing but a black cat disappearing inside the house.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco picks up a marble that has already been loosed from the arena. He holds it up to the light of day and examines it with one eye shut.

"Who could like chores when such wondrous beauties require collecting? Not I!" He places the marble back on the ground, stands up and turns towards the door.

"Let's go see what other beauties await."


As Ticco stands, an old woman appears at the door.

"Boys, what have I told you about bothering strangers? Now come inside and get cleaned up, we'll be eating dinner soon."

"Y'mam."

The gang of marble shooters collects their prized possessions and scurry inside.

Walking to the edge of the porch, Auntie Baltwin surveys the group standing before her. Her gaze settles on Wren.

"Is there something I can help you with Miss?"

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1

"Yes, my name is Wren Aeronica and we are here to deliver medicinal supplies provided by the Silver Crusade. Your boys are very well behaved. I commend you on your discipline. Is it hard to keep so many... rambunctious youths in line?"


GM:

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Auntie Batlwin, measures Wren with her gaze.

"Oh mai yes, it sometimes is but I've been caring for children my entire life so at least I have practice. Thank you for bringing the medicine."

She looks from hand to hand for the package.

GM:

Wren: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Ticco: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (10) + 0 = 10
Karal: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Alliver: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Wren:
Wren you get the sense that she doesn't think much of your companions and that she is eager to get the package and see you off.

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

Our pleasure Maam, But we do have a few questions to ask you and would also like to check on the children.


M Elf Cloistered Cleric 1

Speak for yourself, dwarf.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco dons his best human child impression and approaches the door.

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

"Me thinks me left me marbles inside." he says in his best street urchin common.


GM:

1d20 + 3 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 3 + 8 = 29
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

The old crone takes one look at Ticco and scowls.

"Where do you think you are going? Does this look like a home for gnomes?!

Questions? About what? And I'm sorry but I don't allow strangers to bother the sick."

Auntie Baltwin seems to regain her composure after shooing Ticco away from the door.

"How about a nice cup of tea? You boys and girls look dusty after your trek from the Foreign quarter. Please have a seat I will be right back with some tea."

She gestures to a few chair on her porch and waits for your response.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco frumps down on the a step and rests his chin in his hands. After a few moments he mutters,

"What did she mean by 'bother the sick?' I thought those boys looked right healthy to me. They took all the marbles too."

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

I do have some skills in healing, maybe if I could look at some of the children?


Auntie Baltwin returns with a fine silver tray holding a china tea set.

"Please sit down."

She begins pouring five cups of strong black tea.

Upon hearing Karal's offer of his services Auntie B, frowns a bit.

"That is not necessary. Growing up the oldest of nine brothers and sisters I have had my share of practice. I've been caring for children for over 60 years."

She then hands saucers and cups to the party before producing a small flask and topping off her cup.

Offering the flask she states,
"Would anyone like a tipple?"

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco, hands held high, receives his cup. In one swift motion he brings it down and spins 180 degrees setting the cup on the ground as he crouches over it.

As the herbs and leaves settle to the bottom of the cup Ticco's reflection stares back at him. Hoping to go unnoticed as Baltwin hands out the other cups he blinks twice and mutters towards the brew.

stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

Cast Detect Poison


The tea does not detect as poisonous.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco stands up with an empty cup licking his lips.

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

Karal will accept the offer of the flask. Putting ome in his tea and a little on one finger to taste it. What is it?


Its a fair to fine quality brandy.

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

How many children do you currentlly have here Auntie Baltwin?


Sipping her tea delicately you'd never know it was mostly brandy.

"Hmm well there are about a dozen right now. We just had a new child arrive last week to round it out to an even twelve."

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

and many of them are sick? this is a lot of medicine after all. Or are some of them just orphans?


Auntie Baltwin finishes her tea and beings to collect empty cups and saucers.

"Well thank you again for dropping off the package. Please give Mistress Zadrian my thanks as well. If you will excuse me I have dinner preparations to begin."

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco watches as the old hag walks back inside. he turns and looks up at Wren.

"Does this mean we get no marbles?"

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1

"Oh, no my dear Ticco. It just means we need to be a bit more... creative in our approach. We'll get the marbles. Oh, we will get the marbles. Ticco, I need you to do what comes naturally to you. Be a distraction to Auntie Baldwin. Try to get as many of the children riled up as possible. If she screams at you, do not retaliate. Run around and get the children to join in. I will move to the kitchen. This old crone has to have more than just brandy in her boards."

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco begins to march in place with a renewed gleam in his eyes. He enters the orphanage abruptly gets lost and listens for the sounds of children.

stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

Karal whispers to himself

Please let this woman have actually done something wrong. If not Torag forgive us for releasing Ticco on her.

Grand Lodge

male Human

Ticco sneaks inside Auntie Batlwin's Orphanage.

He sees a sitting room, stairs and a hallway leading back to where he hears the sounds of children playing.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco heads to the room of children. He listens at the door to determine if they are playing after all. I thought these kids were supposed to be sick.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11


Ticco hears a few of the children quiet down as he peers through the door.

A few of the children are staring incredulously at the blue haired gnome staring at them.

One of the marble boys opens the door wider and says warmly,

"Hello gnome, sir. What are you doing back here? Did you want to play marbles after all? Can't play marbles indoors, Auntie doesn't like that."

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

HIYA! No more marbles?! Let's play another game then! A game of color and speed. Everyone can play too!

Ticco says a few words into his hand. Next he runs around the room and one by one taps each child on the head in random order. With each touch the child's hair turns an impossible shade of blue. He reaches the last child who has been the most receptive to him this whole time.

"Now my young friend, if you would be so kind as to do me the honors of... being IT!" He taps the boy on the head and his hair bursts reddish orange as if on fire.

Immediately Ticco runs away frantically screaming with laughter, leaping another child and scurrying behind some furniture.

Here's to hoping this makes sense.


What is the rest of the party doing? Where did you go after sending Ticco inside?

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

I'm supposed to distract Auntie so they can get inside to the kitchen and search it.

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

Once it is obvious that Auntie is going after him, Karal will step inside the doorway and look in the sitting room.

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1

I am moving to the kitchen. I will rifle the cupboards looking for either more booze or any other proof of her being a lush.


From inside the house you hear the screams of and laughter of many children. Karal sees a boy and a girl, both with hair as loud as their open mouths, come shooting past the front door and run screaming upstairs.

A few other children run circles around Ticco as he comes running from the back of the house.

From upstairs the muffled sound of an woman's voice can be heard but not understood. It sounds like Auntie Baltwin yelling from behind a few closed doors.


Wren slips into the empty kitchen. It is neat and tidy. The floors and counters gleam with a polished shine. The smell of harsh cleaning powders stings the nose.

Next to the sink a few clean dishes rest long since dried.

Wren doesn't have to look far to find what she is looking for however. As sitting next a few tins of flour and sugar is half empty bottle of Uncle Fuzzytoes' brandy.

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1

I will place the empty bottle in my robes and leave the kitchen.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco comes crashing through a doorway with a trail of red haired screaming children behind him.

perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

He notices Wren leaving the kitchen and thinks it might be time to make his escape. He quickly weaves his way through furniture and doorway, one room to the next.

stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

And when the coast is clear he tries to sneak out.

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

As Karal hears the kids streaming back out he makes his way to the door also.


A few of the children run screaming through the front door following after Ticco. Others can be seen running up the stairs and a few dare to run through the parlor into the kitchen.

Auntie Batlwin's presence is felt once again as the sounds of shouting and slamming doors comes from the upper floor.

Storming down the stairs the befuddled caretaker bursts through the front door and begins yelling at the children to get back inside.

She shoots Ticco a withering look while the children with bright blue hair attempt to not look jovial as they file back inside.

One of the neighbors who came outside to watch the disturbance lets out a loud guffaw as Auntie totters back into the house with her skirts tucked into her hose.


M Elf Cloistered Cleric 1

"The human baby creatures seem well in hand. Can we not finish this arbitrary assemblage of tasks?"


Can I assume the party returns post haste to the Silver Crusade?

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

aye

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1

I mean, I'll go talk to the neighbor about Auntie's gambling habits if you want me to, but yes please let us go tell Ol' Iron Britches we have the strate dope on Auntie Baltwin.

Let us be rid of this wretched woman.


Upon returning to temple in the Ascendant Court you are once again brought before Ollysta Zadrian to report your findings.

"Ah yes! Welcome back. That was fast. Did you have a chance to interview Madame Baltwin?"

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1

Fast? HA!

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

out til monday for thanksgiving

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco looks side to side at the statues he's brought back from the orphanage.

"HOOOYA We sure did interview that old sot! What a woman!"

He opens up a tiny compartment on the side of one of the statues and pulls out an empty bottle.

"We found this! It's got no marbles. I don't know what it's good for."

Ticco holds up the bottle.


Ollysta takes the offered bottle and turns it over in her hands to read the label.

"A bottle of brandy? Please explain Ticco. Although a damnable habit, consumption of alcohol is not illegal in Absalom. Also, marbles? Are you speaking of idioms or toys?"

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1

"Old Lady Baltwin is a drunk (pulls out empty brandy bottle), the children aren't getting their medicine, and I am sure the neighbor man would have told us she gambles if we had talked to him. Personally, I think she is selling the medicine to nefarious groups and using the children as slave labor."

"Oh, I could use a bit of the old lay on hands from you, please. I received an injury fighting an imp earlier in the day."

Good enough?

301 to 350 of 389 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameplay - In Service to Lore - Sveden's First Steps All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.