Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Sv's - First Steps part 1 : In Service to Lore

Game Master sveden

GM-Sveden attempts his first PBP campaign. In Service to Lore is part one of the three part First Steps series of modules.


1 to 50 of 389 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

First assignment, describe what a casual observer would notice about you while watching you choose food from the crowded market stalls of the Coins.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

The streets are riddled with unusual characters but today one stands above, or more so below, them all. Loose fitting robes drape over the tiniest frame of a gnome named Ticco. They could shake loose with but a step but it's his fiery blue shock of hair erupting from his head that gets the most attention.


M Elf Cloistered Cleric 1

A thin Elven man takes his time, inspecting each food item carefully. He smells, squeezes, and even listens to them. He then looks at it ...studying it. Every item is selected with such careful precision.

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

A dwarf clad in blackened scale mail sniffs suspiciously at the variety of meats, finally choosing a slice of mutton, some aged cheese and a chunk of bread. Taking a drink of mead from his flask he shakes his head disapprovingly before rubbing the shockingly sparse beard just beginning to grow back over a scarred face. Rocking back on his chair he begins to sharpen his greataxe while intently watching everyone walking past.

Shadow Lodge

Male Human (Taldan) HP 10/10 AC 15 CMD 14 Touch 13 Flat 12 Rapier +4;1d6 Pistol, Double Barrel +4;1d8 F +2 R +5 W +2 INIT +3 Perc +6 CMB +1 Gunslinger (Pistolero) 1

A tall young human wandered in and out of the various stalls. His leather breastplate and leather shoulder pieces sat over a brown silk shirt. He also wore leather trousers over high, soft leather boots. The rapier that hung at his side appeared new, but the scabbard it sat in was well worn. A small bag and a horn were slung over one shoulder and he carried a sack over the other as he looked at the various wares.

Tucked into a silk waistband, to those who knew, the grip of a pistol protruded. He paused and handed over a couple of coins to a merchant after which he picked up a pair of apples, putting one in his sack before biting into the other one. He also spotted a merchant with bottle of wine from various regions and smiled as he stepped over to that stall. Setting his sack down beside him, he put a book on the loose opening of the sack to keep it from walking away with a strange hand and he perused several bottle of wine before handing over several gold coins out of his pouch for a bottle.


M Elf Cloistered Cleric 1

Alliver catches sight of the firearm. Fascinating. To carry such destructive capabilities so casually ...though, in truth, we all have destructive abilities in some way. Is a wizard less dangerous than a pistol?

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

wonders how these humans and elves managed to keep his ancestors from ruling the world when they don't even know enough to eat a hearty meal including meat.


As you pick through the remnants of your lunch you remember its about time you checked in at the Grand Lodge.

Luckily the Coins borders almost every district in Absalom and you have more than enough time to check-in with the quartermaster.

This past week you were moved from leave to active duty. Unfortunately for rookies like you that means checking in every 8 hours at Skyreach.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Woohoo active duty!

With a toothy grin and energy unmatched in any other market dweller, Ticco runs around in circles to determine his bearings and then heads straight to the quartermaster's office.

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1

A tall woman with striking Chellish features buys various fruits and vegetables. As you overhear the transaction, her speech has a Varisian accent. After securing the peaches and strawberries in her slate gray robes, her severe countenance softens when she encounters a gaggle of children. Smiles break out as she says a few words, makes a few gestures, and fascinates the children as a silent dragon chases the children around.

As Wren walks toward Skyreach, it appears her shadow moves of its own accord. She wonders what the Quartermaster needs and what mission the Ten will send her on.


Crossing over into the Foreign Quarter the environment gradually changes from the chaos and verve of commerce to a more subtle yet exotic aesthetic.

Once past the gates of the Grand Lodge you are reminded of the time you spent here as a recruit. Fond or maybe un-fond memories of you times under the Master of Scrolls, Master of Spells and Master of Swords fill your thoughts.

Your time as an Initiate is done. The long days of training culminating in your Confirmation and promotion to Field Operative of the Pathfinder Society.

Hopefully today is the day you get your first assignment.


After checking in with the Quartermaster McTavish(the Venture Captain's secretary if we're being brutally honest) you are told to sit and wait.

A few minutes of paper shuffling and cross-indexing and McTavish clears his throat,

"Ticco, Allriver, Wren, Karal and Solace."

Those who's names were not called go back about their business of murmuring and waiting for their turn.

The quartermaster double checks your names and informs you you are to bring this slip of paper to VC Ambrose Valsin for your assignment.

The paper is folded over itself and simply reads "#17" with K. McTavish's signature below.


M Elf Cloistered Cleric 1

"That's Alliver, ahem."


"Right, Alliver."

McTavish makes every effort to look busy by turning his back and moving a few ledgers around on the shelf behind him.


M Elf Cloistered Cleric 1

That out of the way ..."Greetings, compatriots and fellow pathfinders. I am Alliver, Priest of Pharasma. Shall we?"

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco, not being much of one for sitting still, remained in his seat but did so without the "still" part. He had climbed up into a chair next to a bunch of other rookies.

In an act of supreme patience (by Ticco's standards) he started sitting then turned and kneeled with his back to the quartermaster, then stood up in the chair as he turned again, then hopped straight into a seated position again. For the next few eternal minutes, the slowest tiny blue cyclone of fire perpetuated until his name was called at which point, on his final rotation Ticco let out a "Yip!" hopped to sitting and bounced to his feet.

Ticco struts up in front of everyone else heedless of their stature, feels up over the edge of McTavish's desk and just starts pulling off papers until the quartermaster slips the right one into his hand.

"Excuse me, Venture Secretary? What's the #17? Is that the room number where we meet the Venture Captain?"


GM:
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

The clerk, at the end of his patience scowls at the Sorcerer.

"He is located in the third tower of Skyreach. He is on the main floor. I know only that you are to bring him this number. Now if you'll please, I have work to complete as well."

GM:
1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Ticco:
You get the feeling he is not being exactly truthful. You do, however, get the feeling that his patience with your questions is at an end.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco starts marching with knees high and the order extended by his full arm length over head, "Hup... Hup... Hup... follow me gang! Bid farewell to Secretary McGasBag."

Ticco glances over his shoulder on his way out the door of the quartermaster's office. With a fiery stare the young gnome gazes deep into the eyes of the quartermaster as if to say "I know you're hiding something." Efreeti blood flickers in Ticco's eyes.

Intimidate 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

sits intrigued staring at the gnome. such an energetic creature. How different from home. Not even our children bounce around that much

grabbing up his axe, Karal heads for the door, holding it open presumably to let the rest of the team pass through, but in reality to get a closer look at his fellow pathfinders a little closer.

what an amazing group, this should be fun. a gun? why runemaster Throk would love to have a drawing of that. And what did my sire always tell me about the elves? ah yes--great allies to have at your back but a little attention focus deprived. and blue hair--amazing. and a human-what is it about her shadow?. I could not ask for a better party to examine the interactions among our races

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1

Wren looks at the gnome, thinking to herself, "Ah, undisciplined sorcery. That gnome could use a few years in a proper Chellish house to learn his place in world. Alas, that is not my role but that of my sister, Robin. The Ten have much to answer for what happened to her. Even tough she lives, she is not the same woman who readily carried the Chelaxian banner on the battlefield. Now she toils in the Skyreach armory, pounding out suits of armor for others to work off her debt. She and I share the same view of our home away from home, but our methods and ideology are vastly different. I hold no love for the Paracountess after what she sent Robin to do and hope to see her deposed. Sooner rather than later. For what it is worth, I am Torch's agent.

Wren pauses at the door, "Thank you, Karal, is it?"

She nods her slightly before moving on, mindful not to step on Ticco.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco peaks his head back into the doorway and shouts, "Yeah, Thanks Karat!" and just like that he scrambles back to the front of the group. He stops abruptly in front of the party and turns to face them holding the orders almost as high as his hair stands without aid.

"Fellow adventurers, I am Ticco Wizwicket. I am 1/56th Efreeti and my favorite color is fire. I am also your sworn protector so long as ye shall live. Let us continue!"

Ticco spins and begins counting off "Hups" again. He then marches in a circle around the other party members with his head tilted back. Clearly he is trying to find some signage directing them to Skyreach.

Note to self: submit complaint about lack of small creature height appropriate signage. He thinks to himself.

"This way comrades!" he shouts and blindly marches off down a hall.


M Elf Cloistered Cleric 1

Pharasma grant me patience, it's a gnome. A gnome with efreeti blood. Alliver's sigh is very audible.

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

a bare smile sneaking across his face, karal follows. Interesting indeed. but does the gnome really know the way? I guess we shall see.


Solace smiled and shook his head. He hadn't been around many gnomes, but this one seemed to have more energy and high-spirits than several humans put together. Looking at the others his expression was one of amusement.

"Are all gnomes like that? I haven't been around many, but if they are, then I'm glad." He laughed and followed after the gnome. "I'm Solace, but my friends call me Sol."


After short walk from one tower to another you arrive at Venture Captain Valsin's office.

A small sitting area containing some potted plants and austere but comfortable looking benches is bordered by several offices of high ranking Pathfinders.

Bronze plaques hang on every door.

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

Pleased to meet you Sol. bowing to Wren And you lovely lady Wren, I believe I heard you called? And our other travelling companions I take it are the esteemed elf Alliver and the 'umm' lively Ticco? I am Karal of clan Mithrilhammer.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco quickly inspects all the plants and cushions of the office for comfort and utility. Once satisfied he goes from door to door and often back to previous doors he's already checked, in search of Venture Captain Valsin's plaque.

Upon locating the correct door, Ticco, without warning, opens the door and walks in.


Ticco upon locating VC Valsin's already open door strides in.

Venture Captain Ambrose Valsin greets the Gnome as he enters.

"Hello, Pathfinder. Can I help you?"

VC Valsin glances at the slip of paper in Ticco's hand.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

"Esteemed Venture Captain. I have here a document entitling me and my associates to a quest for knowledge!"

Ticco walks up to the front of the desk. Again not being able to reach but the extreme edge Ticco hops to get a hand hold and tosses /slaps the paper over the edge as best he can. He then steps away so better view over the top of the desk.


As you all seem to be travelling as a group I'm going to assume you all follow Ticco into the VC's office


VC Valsin looks up as you enter and takes your assignment slip with one hand and finishes writing on a scroll of parchment with the other. After a brief glance and a smile at the Gnome's enthusiasm he motions for you to sit.

“All right, Pathfinders! Listen up. I know you are new recruits eager to make names for yourselves in the organization, but first we need to make sure you are up to snuff and won’t get yourself killed out there. I have a number of small assignments for you and your team, and it would be best if you could finish them before the day’s end.

Ambrose pauses now seeming to choose his words carefully and thoughtfully as he goes 'off script' for the first time.

“Every day we get some doe-eyed hopeful or some sniveling bootlicker willing to do anything to join up with the Pathfinders. Most of them are good kids, but not all of them have the salt to make it in a world like this. It’s rough out there and I’m not just talking about the ruins, tombs, and wilderness Pathfinders find themselves in on missions. We’ve got people who look down their noses at us, folks who think we squander our resources, and agents who want to take everything we have collected. This wealth of knowledge and these items of lore make us the most powerful organization on the planet.

That said, since we are fractured and widespread, it’s difficult for that power to light on anything for too long. For every friend of the Society, there are two enemies."

“Your first mission, to test your mettle and loyalties, sends you to meet a few people important to the Society living here in Absalom. These are other venture-captains or close allies of our organization, so follow their orders as you would mine.

He pauses and makes eye contact with each of you to drive this last point home.

"I’ve prepared a list of things I want you to do. They’re not arranged in any particular order of importance, but I want them all completed as quickly as possible. Only report to me once you complete them all. Included in the envelope you hold in your hands is the list, complete with the name of your contact, and directions to the meeting location.”

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

Excuse me sir. Is there something we will have to show them? So they will know we are acting at your request?


"They all know you are coming and in most cases have asked for assistance. The simple fact you are Pathfinders should be sufficient."

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1

"Very well. Is there any additional information you have that would aid us in our ventures?"


"No. You have all the information necessary. Now unless there is something else you would like to ask, I bid you good day."

Feel free to ask any questions you may have of Valsin then decide where you would like to go first.

Cheliax

Dude human Slacker 20

"Thank you."

Looks over list, sees last item.

"Well, I for one wish to execute the Chellish mission first. Are there any objections?"

Shadow Lodge

Male Human (Taldan) HP 10/10 AC 15 CMD 14 Touch 13 Flat 12 Rapier +4;1d6 Pistol, Double Barrel +4;1d8 F +2 R +5 W +2 INIT +3 Perc +6 CMB +1 Gunslinger (Pistolero) 1

Sol looks over the list. "I am afraid I am still not that familiar with the city. Is there a way we could start say with the Chelish Paracountess and circle around the city from there? I know I would hate to be zig-zagging all over town if we could do it fairly straight forward."

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1

"With Ticco, I believe we will zig-zag whether we want to or not. The Chellish Embassy is located in the Ascendent Court, in the middle of town. We could thus detail our plan after. The less I see of the Paracountess, the better. Karal? Learned? Ticco? Thoughts?"

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

I am your's to command fair lady. But lead and I will follow.

runs a finger over his axe blade sighs oh well, maybe time to play later.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco scans the list, then the map, then the list again. He sets down the list and looks at the map. Then he squats down and sets the map next to the list.

Winds don't zig zag Wren! They swirl!

I have measured the favorable winds of this map, cross referenced with available fuel times potential fuel and am ready to go when you guys are. EeeYAO!

Ticco's excitement is palpable.

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

as we walk to the chellish embassy, will try to talk to wren on what the chelaxian people are like

I have not had much experience with live outside the five mountains, wren. What sort of people are you chelaxians? slow to anger? fairly energetic, like our friend ticco here? The world seems so huge.


M Elf Cloistered Cleric 1

"Diabolists run the government. The people themselves are like other humans, essentially."

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1

"Diabolist is such a harsh word, Learned. True, Karal, the Chellish government consorts with devils but never forget it is Hell that serves Cheliax, not the other way around. My father has told me this many times. But, to tell the truth I do not know much about the homeland of my family. You see, my father and his father before him are Hellknights, stationed in Citadel Vraid, near Korvosa in Varisia. My sister Robin aspires to join their ranks, and by the stories she tells me is well on her way. If the Chellish are anything like her they are proud, fierce, confident, and destined to bring order to the Inner Sea, by grace of culture or by the grace of greatswords.

"Being born in Varisia has given me a different perspective on the world, one I see in shades of gray. There is beauty in chaos and dependability in order. Yet both need the other to advance. I wish to see neither gain an upper hand.

"As for Ticco here... well... no, the Chellish are nothing like him. In fact, he is lucky I do not share my sister's zeal for order as I believe she would have, convinced him shall we say, to behave himself."

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

so is the paracountess like a queen or something? Are there any formalities I should know before meeting her?


A few short minutes later you arrive at one of Paracountess Zarta Dralneen’s townhouses. Three stories of stunning Gothic architecture fronted by ebon lacquered double doors wrought with gleaming silver fixtures. A prickly brass cone hanging from a chain serves as a doorbell.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco jumps up and down underneath the cone in frustration.

"Something... must be done... about the heightcism in this city"


M Elf Cloistered Cleric 1

"Yes, I'm certain that your people are the ones finally to not be tricked by infernal powers beyond their ken."

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

reaches up and pulls the cone

Tis not a conspiracy little one. I believe the humans do it to keep their runtlings from playing pranks.


Moments after ringing the bell, a servant in loose casual attire opens the door and gives the assembled party the briefest of glances.

"Greetings, please come in."

He steps to the side and sweeps his arm low beckoning you to enter.


GM:

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

1 to 50 of 389 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameplay - In Service to Lore - Sveden's First Steps All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.