Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Steig Lamplighter and the Curse of the Creeping Twilight (Inactive)

Game Master Gerald Rose

Fantasy Craft rules, Schrodinger's campaign setting (it don't exist until you get there/one of us makes it up), generic fantasy.


1 to 50 of 507 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

It had been a long time since Steig Lamplighter traveled to the damned city of Derinkuyu and brought back the Everburning Flame to The Village. A long time since he created the glass sheathed lamps that protect The Village from the creeping evil that lurks in the night. Longer still since Steig Lamplighter was called Steig Ironchaser. Ironchaser who founded the now lost mine hidden in a vale deep in the Yatil Mountains that the tiny settlement grew up around.

Perhaps only Magda the Crone, eldest in The Village might remember Steig as a child and his arrival in the vale, along with his parents and three other families, all seeking safety in the mountains. Magda the Crone squinted into the morning sun, deeply lined face screwed up against the brightness and chewing on the end of her gnarled pipe. She scowled at the brisk mountain air, the bucolic settlement going about its early business as Magda looked on.

Magda wrote:
Too quiet. No children this season, or last.

Despondently considering and immediately rejecting the idea of spiking the well with one of her custom-brewed love philters "not going through THAT again", thought the old woman, horrid memories of a solid week of . . . Magda shook her head to dispel the terrible imagery.

Magda wrote:
I suppose it's up the the Crow and the Barmaid now.

Magda the crone spat into the dust and began slowly making her way to the tavern.

The three of you start in the tavern, having breakfast. Crow and Juniper, there are two new arrivals, something of a sensation. The cut of their clothes is unfamiliar, and they speak Trade Tongue with a slight accent. Jana the tavernkeep is the only other person there right now. In her 50's, her long blonde braid wraps around her neck, and her skin is weathered by years of hard but honest living. Breakfast is quail eggs and roasted meat. Of some kind.


Defense: 12 (11 flat-footed), -2 when carrying Ferment; DR: 2; Vitality 20/30; Wounds 15/15; Subdual: 0; Stress: 0; [assistance I, best of the best (1/scene), charming, perfect memory, shove, wise counsel], Renown: Heroic 2

Juniper looks up from behind the bar where she is sharing her meat with a small, pot-bellied, craggy (yet somehow proud) lizard creature with translucent wings. Finishing, she abandons the remainder of the food to the little drake and comes out from behind the bar. "Would either of you like to order a drink?" The question to the newcomers, then turning with a bright smile at the lawman, "Crow?"


Jana the Tavernkeep looks up from the glass she is polishing for the umpteenth time. "Juniper, we're down to the dregs of the good stuff. Thomas hasn't come back with this month's shipment yet. We still have the mead though. Hmmm. . . the turnip stew's gonna need another hour or so."
To Juniper, a little more quietly but still audible in the small, single room tavern: Give'em the quail eggs and some of the. . . meat.

Darius:
The tavern, and the village it sits in are both fascinating to you. The shoddy construction, hay on the floor, the rural home-made clothing, all very different from Derinkuyu. Your home city is entirely made of stone, carved out of the mountain. You suspect there is little between this rustic village and utter destruction than a stiff breeze. The apparent lack of social order is also disturbing. There does not appear to be anyone in charge.


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

Darius looks around from his seat examining the room. "Some of the mead then" he replies pretending not to notice that the 'meat' was phrased in a suspicious manner. The lad next to him, you'd guess about 16 is looking around too, his eyes wide with a strange mix of wonder and alarm. He seems to have barely noticed the call about drinks and genuinely didn't hear at all about the meat.


Defense: 12 (11 flat-footed), -2 when carrying Ferment; DR: 2; Vitality 20/30; Wounds 15/15; Subdual: 0; Stress: 0; [assistance I, best of the best (1/scene), charming, perfect memory, shove, wise counsel], Renown: Heroic 2

With a smile that suggests 'I don't know why you would want to malign our meat.' Juniper pulls a mead for both newcomers and, on the grounds that growing men need food, she brings over a plate of quail and meat for the younger of the pair. "Welcome to the Spit and Tackle. How are you enjoying the hustle and bustle of our village?"


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

The older of the newcomers appears to be about 25, his eyes are pale bule and his hair is jet black. The younger is roughly the same, same pale blue eyes, same jet black hair. The older bears a copper badge with four nicks lined up on the side. Both have batons of a strange make within easy reach although their posture suggests this is just routine rather than a plot of some sort.


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

"Quite well but it's rather hard to say being as that we just got here"


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

"So, problem with trade?" he questions after the comment about dregs and a man named Thomas.


Init +3; Blend +1u; Notice +4; Sense Motive +1u; Heroic Renown 1 Def 13; ff12; DR4; Lethal ?; Subdual ? Action Dice 1d4; Accurate, Basic Combat Expert, Bone Crusher, Charming, Damned if you do, Double Boost, Fortunes of War I, Hammer Basics, Hammer Mastery, Hurled Basics, Improved Stability, Misdirection Basics, Shove, Stand Together
Mead Cailleath wrote:
"Would either of you like to order a drink?" The question to the newcomers, then turning with a bright smile at the lawman, "Crow?"

"The mead will do, June." the man whom the others have referred to as Crow smiles easily at the barwench. He is a large man in studded leather armor, lounging with his back against a wall. As his gaze turns to the two new comers it is not unfriendly, but he appears to be slightly guarded, eying them appraisingly. "So what brings you to our little village? Not exactly in the middle of a bustling merchant route."

The fingers of his right hand drum lightly against the haft of a quite imposing looking maul.

GM:
how much would mead normally cost?


Defense: 12 (11 flat-footed), -2 when carrying Ferment; DR: 2; Vitality 20/30; Wounds 15/15; Subdual: 0; Stress: 0; [assistance I, best of the best (1/scene), charming, perfect memory, shove, wise counsel], Renown: Heroic 2

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with the trade," Juniper says with a half smile. "It just isn't happening. Thomas hasn't been by since..." She looks over her shoulder at the tavern's mistress. It apparently has been a long time.

She pulls a mead for Crow, passing it to him with a smile. For her part, Juniper is a tiny woman with short red hair. A slender form, the leathers she wears are old and well fitted... although with oddly colored stains in a few places.


Init +3; Blend +1u; Notice +4; Sense Motive +1u; Heroic Renown 1 Def 13; ff12; DR4; Lethal ?; Subdual ? Action Dice 1d4; Accurate, Basic Combat Expert, Bone Crusher, Charming, Damned if you do, Double Boost, Fortunes of War I, Hammer Basics, Hammer Mastery, Hurled Basics, Improved Stability, Misdirection Basics, Shove, Stand Together
Mead Cailleath wrote:
"There is absolutely nothing wrong with the trade," Juniper says with a half smile. "It just isn't happening. Thomas hasn't been by since..." She looks over her shoulder at the tavern's mistress. It apparently has been a long time.

"Apparently too long." Crow remarks dryly.

Mead wrote:
She pulls a mead for Crow, passing it to him with a smile. For her part, Juniper is a tiny woman with short red hair. A slender form, the leathers she wears are old and well fitted... although with oddly colored stains in a few places.

The corners of his mouth quirk upwards, almost imperceptibly and his eyes close in a slow blink, acknowledging her smile, he pushes a coin onto the table, "for you, my dear."


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)
Crow of The Village wrote:

"So what brings you to our little village? Not exactly in the middle of a bustling merchant route."
The fingers of his right hand drum lightly against the haft of a quite imposing looking maul.

"Nothing much, we're from Derinkuyu, yours is the closest village. I'm from the city guard there, I'm a trainer, he's my trainee" Darius replies gesturing to the 16 year old. "I'm Darius and this lad here is Marco."


Init +3; Blend +1u; Notice +4; Sense Motive +1u; Heroic Renown 1 Def 13; ff12; DR4; Lethal ?; Subdual ? Action Dice 1d4; Accurate, Basic Combat Expert, Bone Crusher, Charming, Damned if you do, Double Boost, Fortunes of War I, Hammer Basics, Hammer Mastery, Hurled Basics, Improved Stability, Misdirection Basics, Shove, Stand Together

He looks them both over again, nods. "Not sure why you came out here. We're a quiet little place, no trouble in years. And I aim to keep it that way, y'hear." he motions at them with the small knife he'd been picking his teeth with. "S'long as you don't cause any trouble, yer welcome here." One of his legs swings up onto a nearby chair.


Crow of The Village wrote:
Mead Cailleath wrote:
"Would either of you like to order a drink?" The question to the newcomers, then turning with a bright smile at the lawman, "Crow?"

"The mead will do, June." the man whom the others have referred to as Crow smiles easily at the barwench. He is a large man in studded leather armor, lounging with his back against a wall. As his gaze turns to the two new comers it is not unfriendly, but he appears to be slightly guarded, eying them appraisingly. "So what brings you to our little village? Not exactly in the middle of a bustling merchant route."

The fingers of his right hand drum lightly against the haft of a quite imposing looking maul.

Spoiler:
By RAW, a large glass of something is 5s, but in this economy, where most things are bartered for, the tip is enough. Your work around The Village is payment for basic living expenses.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

At the mention of "Derinkuyu", Jana perks up.

Jana the Tavernkeep wrote:
"Derinkuyu? The lost city? That's where The Lamplighter got the lights that he put around the ways to hedge out the dark!" Jana puts down her glass, cloudy despite the endless polishing and peers closely (and a bit myopically) at Darius and Marco. Says almost to herself: Last delivery from The Mill was a good month ago, maybe a bit longer.

peer, peer, peer

S'not like Old Tom to be late like this. Wonder if he's alright? S'only about 4 days journey. . .

At that the tavern door slams open, revealing the hunched silhouette of Magda the Crone in the doorway. She levels a crooked finger at no-one in particular.

Magda wrote:
Doom! Doooom! DOOOO - hey, who are these two?

As she breaks off into a fit of hacking, she staggers over to a chair and plops down at the newcomers table. Jana brings Magda a glass of milk, which Magda sips at delicately.

Four days and one path between us and The Mill. What, do you think Thomas is lost? That he maybe found something better and left his favorite goat Imelda behind? Bah! Have I taught you nothing? Magda demands of Juniper before rounding on Crow And you! You think I gave you that melonthumper so you can hang around and act tough? The world is bigger than this village, this mountain! And it is coming to get us. We have hid here too long and time is running away from us.
Magda sips at her milk, makes a face at it, pulls a tiny packet from her sleeve and dumps it in. The milk turns an unhealthy shade of green, and the old woman takes a long pull from it with a sigh of satisfaction.
Besides, if there are any more children conceived here we are going to start having two-headed babies. turns to Jana Did you know almost everyone here is related? It's pitiful!
Jana the Tavernkeep rolls her eyes. . .


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

Both stare at Magda, a bit confused by the newest arrival, clearly a village elder or something of the sort. It turns to hastily covered alarm at the suddenly green milk. Looking at each other, Marco this time asks the question, "Um, doom? Something wrong around here?"


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

Darius looks again at both Juniper and Crow who had just denied there being anything wrong with the trade. Having it be late is one thing, having a village elder say "doom" followed by talking about it is another.


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

To Jana, Darius replies, "Yup, that's us although I can't say I've heard of 'Lamplighter' before but I can see how we would be considered lost."


(minion gm)

Sorry to break the conversation up but when are we starting tomorrow?


Defense: 12 (11 flat-footed), -2 when carrying Ferment; DR: 2; Vitality 20/30; Wounds 15/15; Subdual: 0; Stress: 0; [assistance I, best of the best (1/scene), charming, perfect memory, shove, wise counsel], Renown: Heroic 2
Magda the Crone wrote:

At that the tavern door slams open, revealing the hunched silhouette of Magda the Crone in the doorway. She levels a crooked finger at no-one in particular.

Magda wrote:
Doom! Doooom! DOOOO - hey, who are these two?
As she breaks off into a fit of hacking, she staggers over to a chair and plops down at the newcomers table. Jana brings Magda a glass of milk, which Magda sips at delicately.

Juniper is in motion when she hears the old woman's 'Doom!' As Magda starts to stagger, she doesn't actually help the honored elder, but is right there in case such a thing becomes needed. And, then, answering the old woman's question, 'Darius and Marco. From the lost city. Which may well make them lost men."

Magda the Crone wrote:
Four days and one path between us and The Mill. What, do you think Thomas is lost? That he maybe found something better and left his favorite goat Imelda behind? Bah! Have I taught you nothing?

"Imelda would be sad at his departure." A smile for the old woman, "You've also said that no journey no matter how short is without its peril. Figured there was a good chance he got ate."

Darius Reinhold wrote:
Darius looks again at both Juniper and Crow who had just denied there being anything wrong with the trade. Having it be late is one thing, having a village elder say "doom" followed by talking about it is another.

Juniper's Sense motive to read the look: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Quietly, in an aside to the elder of the newcomers, "Big city isn't much on sarcasm or dramatics?"


Init +3; Blend +1u; Notice +4; Sense Motive +1u; Heroic Renown 1 Def 13; ff12; DR4; Lethal ?; Subdual ? Action Dice 1d4; Accurate, Basic Combat Expert, Bone Crusher, Charming, Damned if you do, Double Boost, Fortunes of War I, Hammer Basics, Hammer Mastery, Hurled Basics, Improved Stability, Misdirection Basics, Shove, Stand Together
Grose wrote:

Four days and one path between us and The Mill. What, do you think Thomas is lost? That he maybe found something better and left his favorite goat Imelda behind? Bah! Have I taught you nothing? Magda demands of Juniper before rounding on Crow And you! You think I gave you that melonthumper so you can hang around and act tough? The world is bigger than this village, this mountain! And it is coming to get us. We have hid here too long and time is running away from us.

The so-called lawman rolls his eyes exaggeratedly at the old woman, "Pah, old crone. You think this place is so important that the "deep and dark shadows" from around the world are all coming to try to eat us?" his face forms a sardonic, almost taunting smile, "this place staggers under the self-importance you heap upon it." The even only slightly observant, are quite likely to notice his feet have found their way back to the floor and he is sitting up quite a bit straighter with the entrance of the old woman.

bluff: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Sense Motive dc15:

Crow may be outwardly taunting Magda, but underneath the bluster it's not too hard to see that he truly cares for the old woman, the people and the village itself. So much so that he would very likely give his life for them...and quite likely has already pledged to do so, whether that is publicly known or not.


Init +3; Blend +1u; Notice +4; Sense Motive +1u; Heroic Renown 1 Def 13; ff12; DR4; Lethal ?; Subdual ? Action Dice 1d4; Accurate, Basic Combat Expert, Bone Crusher, Charming, Damned if you do, Double Boost, Fortunes of War I, Hammer Basics, Hammer Mastery, Hurled Basics, Improved Stability, Misdirection Basics, Shove, Stand Together

before Magda's entrance

Darius Reinhold wrote:
"Nothing much, we're from Derinkuyu, yours is the closest village. I'm from the city guard there, I'm a trainer, he's my trainee" Darius replies gesturing to the 16 year old. "I'm Darius and this lad here is Marco."

"So how is the Damned and Lost City nowadays?"


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

"Quite fine," Darius replies, "although I am curious as to why we are considered damned"


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)
Mead Cailleath wrote:
Quietly, in an aside to the elder of the newcomers, "Big city isn't much on sarcasm or dramatics?"

"Not too much, but I suppose that makes sense," he replies with a slight sigh.


Init +3; Blend +1u; Notice +4; Sense Motive +1u; Heroic Renown 1 Def 13; ff12; DR4; Lethal ?; Subdual ? Action Dice 1d4; Accurate, Basic Combat Expert, Bone Crusher, Charming, Damned if you do, Double Boost, Fortunes of War I, Hammer Basics, Hammer Mastery, Hurled Basics, Improved Stability, Misdirection Basics, Shove, Stand Together

Crow turns to Magda, "Why is Derinkuyu considered damned?" he asks inquiringly, "for that matter, why are they considered lost since we obviously have two able bodied young lads who have just wandered over from there apparently not even knowing they're supposed to be damned or lost? Kinda curious about that one m'self." His head turns slightly an eyebrow raised.


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

"Well lost makes sense, we hardly ever come to the outside, yours is the closest village and as you said yourself, you're not exactly the middle of a bustling merchant route," he mentions, "but I do wonder why we are damned."


Init +3; Blend +1u; Notice +4; Sense Motive +1u; Heroic Renown 1 Def 13; ff12; DR4; Lethal ?; Subdual ? Action Dice 1d4; Accurate, Basic Combat Expert, Bone Crusher, Charming, Damned if you do, Double Boost, Fortunes of War I, Hammer Basics, Hammer Mastery, Hurled Basics, Improved Stability, Misdirection Basics, Shove, Stand Together

"I'm sure enter the name of appropriate equivalent god/goddess to Eissa or Pharasma here will let you know when you get to the Boneyard or equivalent."


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

"I suppose that's true," he says with another sigh.


Init +3; Blend +1u; Notice +4; Sense Motive +1u; Heroic Renown 1 Def 13; ff12; DR4; Lethal ?; Subdual ? Action Dice 1d4; Accurate, Basic Combat Expert, Bone Crusher, Charming, Damned if you do, Double Boost, Fortunes of War I, Hammer Basics, Hammer Mastery, Hurled Basics, Improved Stability, Misdirection Basics, Shove, Stand Together

Crow chuckles softly and takes a swig of mead.


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

Looking cautiously at Magda and her green milk, Darius takes a few sips of the mead before taking a swig of it himself. Marco does much the same.


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

It's Schrodinger's campaign setting. I think that you can just make Eissa or Pharasma the god/goddess of the afterlife.


Crow wrote:
The so-called lawman rolls his eyes exaggeratedly at the old woman, "Pah, old crone. You think this place is so important that the "deep and dark shadows" from around the world are all coming to try to eat us?" his face forms a sardonic, almost taunting smile, "this place staggers under the self-importance you heap upon it." The even only slightly observant, are quite likely to notice his feet have found their way back to the floor and he is sitting up quite a bit straighter with the entrance of the old woman.

Magda Sense Motive: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (17) + 14 = 31 (Magda knows all)

Magda the Crone wrote:
Her face dip towards the floor, lost in shadows. Her voice is older now, and serious: The shadows come for us all, my child. And this place is terribly important to the few that huddle here under your grandfathers lamps.
OOC:
Crow wrote:
"I'm sure enter the name of appropriate equivalent god/goddess to Eissa or Pharasma here will let you know when you get to the Boneyard or equivalent."

Eissa will work. Gavin having been the first to directly invoke the gods, gets to pick the pantheon. Shadow World gods it is. Though it is unclear how long they have been in power. In Derinkuyu, as in many places, people worship many local gods, and often pray to somewhat generic groups of gods. "May the Gods of hearth and home bless this meal." is a popular benediction before meals. Things like that. Direct address of a specific god is uncommon, and indicates true religious devotion; it is avoided by common people for fear of drawing the attention of the gods. Oh yeah, set up the OOC discussion thread OOC Thread


Crow wrote:
"Crow turns to Magda, "Why is Derinkuyu considered damned?" he asks inquiringly, "for that matter, why are they considered lost since we obviously have two able bodied young lads who have just wandered over from there apparently not even knowing they're supposed to be damned or lost? Kinda curious about that one m'self." His head turns slightly an eyebrow raised."
Magda the crone wrote:

A whole city full of people shut themselves in and locked everyone else out. Rumors are bound to arise. In these times people are bound to suspect the worst before anything else.

Turns to Darius and Marco: So few come out of Derinkuyu, anyone who claims it would probably be called a liar, or a madman. Of course in those outfits you are somewhat more believable. You will need cloaks, boys. Something to cover those uniforms; take a couple from the rack near the door - you wouldn't want anyone to get the idea that you come from Lost Damned Derinkuyu, City of Horror, Untold Riches, Certain Doom, yadda, yadda. You might get accosted.
To all
Children, you need to go find out what happened to Old Thomas. There shouldn't be anything more dangerous than squirrels and rabbits on the road to Mill. Besides, there will be an uprising if the spirits run out. I don't actually LIKE milk all that much.


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

To Magda, Darius says, "thanks for the tip," and turns to Marco, "see, this is why you're being trained Outside." To which Marco shrugs.


Init +3; Blend +1u; Notice +4; Sense Motive +1u; Heroic Renown 1 Def 13; ff12; DR4; Lethal ?; Subdual ? Action Dice 1d4; Accurate, Basic Combat Expert, Bone Crusher, Charming, Damned if you do, Double Boost, Fortunes of War I, Hammer Basics, Hammer Mastery, Hurled Basics, Improved Stability, Misdirection Basics, Shove, Stand Together
Magda wrote:
Children, you need to go find out what happened to Old Thomas. There shouldn't be anything more dangerous than squirrels and rabbits on the road to Mill. Besides, there will be an uprising if the spirits run out. I don't actually LIKE milk all that much.

Crow stays silent for a few moments, "Don't you start any trouble just because you've got an excuse for me to be away for a few days now, y'here? Keep the carousin' t'somethin the Village can afford." his scowl as he rises to his feet doesn't look very real at all. "Four days there, four days back. Gonna need t' get some things. 'n make sure Fox knows e's gotta keep an extra eye out on the henhouse while I'm gone. A'll make sure to stop in b'fore I set off 'n say 'bye'." he nods with a softer smile at the Bateman. "Don' you worry none. Truthfully, welcome the chance t'stretch the old legs. Be back b'fore ya know it." Crow finished his mead, hefts the maul to his shoulder and turns to stride towards the door.


Defense: 12 (11 flat-footed), -2 when carrying Ferment; DR: 2; Vitality 20/30; Wounds 15/15; Subdual: 0; Stress: 0; [assistance I, best of the best (1/scene), charming, perfect memory, shove, wise counsel], Renown: Heroic 2
Magda the Crone wrote:
Children, you need to go find out what happened to Old Thomas. There shouldn't be anything more dangerous than squirrels and rabbits on the road to Mill. Besides, there will be an uprising if the spirits run out. I don't actually LIKE milk all that much.

"Milk is a wretched base for those herbs, the acidity brings out the worst flavor profile." She stands up stretches, "So gin, Magda?"

With that she collects the finished mugs and plates, heads behind the bar, offering her arm to the drake who scrambles up, securing himself with a tail around her throat.

When she comes back, the small woman is weighed down by a small but apparently heavy bag. The drake also has a very little backpack. She pauses, smiling at Jana the Tavernkeep, "Any special liquor requests?" Her light teasing tone barely hiding the worry under it.


Magda the Crone wrote:
The only booze Mill makes work drinking is the Ridgeline Whiskey, and you know it. admonishes Magda. Remember child, there's more to the world that The Village and Mill. It's time you and Crow got out there and saw it. Find out what's been happening while we all have been hiding here in the mountains.

All:

Sense Motive DC 22:
Bluff 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22

Magda is holding something back, trepidation about "what's been happening"

Magda the Crone wrote:

hmmm. Take these two with you. gesturing at Darius and Marco They might be useful. Give them something more interesting to gawp at.

To Jana the Tavernkeep: They're too young for you, you old bat. BOTH of them.

Jana goes back to polishing her glass, pretending not to have heard.


Defense: 12 (11 flat-footed), -2 when carrying Ferment; DR: 2; Vitality 20/30; Wounds 15/15; Subdual: 0; Stress: 0; [assistance I, best of the best (1/scene), charming, perfect memory, shove, wise counsel], Renown: Heroic 2

DC 22 Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

"But, apparently, this is the happening place if the visitors are coming here." She tosses a smile over at Darius and his young friend.

At the door, on the way out she pauses, looking back at the two far older women. "Be safe."

And then she steps out into the sun, sneezing. "So, Crow, Out into the dark dangerous woods where the wild things are?" Pausing to see if Darius obeys the strange women he just met.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Init +3; Blend +1u; Notice +4; Sense Motive +1u; Heroic Renown 1 Def 13; ff12; DR4; Lethal ?; Subdual ? Action Dice 1d4; Accurate, Basic Combat Expert, Bone Crusher, Charming, Damned if you do, Double Boost, Fortunes of War I, Hammer Basics, Hammer Mastery, Hurled Basics, Improved Stability, Misdirection Basics, Shove, Stand Together

Crow returns with a pack, supplies and his full complement of gear, apparently ready to travel on fairly short notice. He looks at the barwench just emerged from the Spit and Tackle, with a look which borders on confusion, but their is a hint of pleasure not well hidden beneath the surface. "Planning on going for a walk, June?" he asks, looking pointedly at the bag she is carrying. "Don't ya think ya need ta keep an eye on the ol' bat? Especially when we got two strangers wanderin' roun' are l'il Village?"

bluff: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 Seriously?

Sense Motive dc2:
The smile he cannot hide gives away what he is really feeling. While he would have no issues traveling on his own, if it is as it appears to be, that she will be accompanying him on the four day journey to the Mill, he is quite happy to have not just the company, but specifically her company.


OOC:
bluff: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 Seriously?

Being early in the game, I will let this one go. :)


Defense: 12 (11 flat-footed), -2 when carrying Ferment; DR: 2; Vitality 20/30; Wounds 15/15; Subdual: 0; Stress: 0; [assistance I, best of the best (1/scene), charming, perfect memory, shove, wise counsel], Renown: Heroic 2

DC 2 Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Juniper shakes her head. "They'd eat 'em before they could do anything really bad. If they were lucky they'd be dead before that." Smiles. "Course, Old Magda told them to come along with us, so they shouldn't be able to get into much mischief... here." Her smile grows a little wistful.


Init +3; Blend +1u; Notice +4; Sense Motive +1u; Heroic Renown 1 Def 13; ff12; DR4; Lethal ?; Subdual ? Action Dice 1d4; Accurate, Basic Combat Expert, Bone Crusher, Charming, Damned if you do, Double Boost, Fortunes of War I, Hammer Basics, Hammer Mastery, Hurled Basics, Improved Stability, Misdirection Basics, Shove, Stand Together

"Are ya kiddin'. I think gettin' et would be the least o' their problems." he flashes a sly grin at her, his eyes narrowing slightly, "an just what kin'a mischief are ya lookin' for'ard t' gettin' inta, li'l miss?" he pauses, considering, "or am I readin' tha' wrong?"
"Yer not fallin' fer the first new pretty face ta come aroun' here are ya?"


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)
Grose wrote:
Magda the Crone wrote:
hmmm. Take these two with you. gesturing at Darius and Marco

Darius replies, "well, that saves me the trouble of asking. Not that I enjoy your town's misfortune but this is perfect, Marco, remember your lessons, it's time to use them."


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

dc2 sense motive: 1d20 ⇒ 15


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

Grabing their batons, Darius and Marco rise to follow Crow and the woman they have only heard called June out the door.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

As the party sets out from the tavern, the villagers wave amiably and smile in passing. A shadow briefly flickers over the group as an enormous crow swoops overhead, and alights upon one of the posts from which hang the ever-burning lanterns that denote the outer edge of The Village. It cocks its head and caws at Crow inquiringly before taking off and flying ahead of the party.

The road to The Mill is just wide enough for a small cart, and runs under a canopy of overhanging trees. A bit of shade and a light breeze makes for pleasant travel. The night brings a subtle change in the mood of the forest, and a feeling of being watched, though nothing untoward comes of it. Darius and Marco are assaulted by new smells and sounds of the outside, and even deep into the nights the calls of animals and the whisper of trees play with their senses.


Notice (team check):
Barron: Notice +7 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 vs Sneak 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24 Success!

As you walk down the sun-dappled road, expecting to reach The Mill by mid-morning tomorrow, Barron swoops overhead in an never-ending search for something to eat. Suddenly he wheels and turns back.
Barron wrote:
Caw!

The bushes on the right side of the road rustle ominously at the raucous sound, and two grey-skinned humanoids step out onto the road. Large ears on somewhat oversized heads, the creatures are near 4 ft. tall and covered in sparse hair, evil grins reveal sharp teeth. They wear crude leather armor over their torsos, and wield loaded crossbows which they level at you. You notice shortswords at their belts. You recognize them from Magda the Crones stories - Forest Gobbers!

Squinting at you in the light, the left hand gobber chews out in poor Trade Tongue: Drop alla your stuff weak pathetic meatbags or prepare to die! The right hand one leers and runs his purple tongue over his teeth in what he hopes is a menacing manner.
OOC:
At a net -25 to their Intimidate check, I'm not going to bother rolling that. Sending monster image in email.


Init +3; Blend +1; Notice +6; Sense Motive +0; Heroic renown +1; Defense 13; FF 12; DR 5; Action Dice 3d4; Light Sleeper; Always Ready; Cadre; No Pain; Unbreakable; Melee Combat Expert; Grueling Combatant; Armor Basics; Club Basics; Knife Basics; Night Fighting; Darkvision I (Vitality 43/43; Wounds 15/15)

Not being hard to do, Darius and Marco sleep with their batons still clutched in their hands, ready for whatever might happen.


Init +3; Blend +1u; Notice +4; Sense Motive +1u; Heroic Renown 1 Def 13; ff12; DR4; Lethal ?; Subdual ? Action Dice 1d4; Accurate, Basic Combat Expert, Bone Crusher, Charming, Damned if you do, Double Boost, Fortunes of War I, Hammer Basics, Hammer Mastery, Hurled Basics, Improved Stability, Misdirection Basics, Shove, Stand Together

What has Magda told us about them? mostly bandits? rob/torture/eat people? Have they threatened the Village in the past?


Defense: 12 (11 flat-footed), -2 when carrying Ferment; DR: 2; Vitality 20/30; Wounds 15/15; Subdual: 0; Stress: 0; [assistance I, best of the best (1/scene), charming, perfect memory, shove, wise counsel], Renown: Heroic 2

Magda's stories: What do gobbos fear? Knowledge check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 151d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Knowledge check 26 for gobbo info/fears.

1 to 50 of 507 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Steig Lamplighter and the Curse of the Creeping Twilight All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.