Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Steel Wolves - A Mercenary Campaign (Inactive)

Game Master Mark Sweetman

The Steel Wolves are a squad of the mercenary company the Blood Hawks. Currently stationed in Kalabuto, though the jungle calls....


1,801 to 1,850 of 3,371 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>

Male Keleshite Magus(Kensai Archetype)/5

"Doc, this is your operation, what say you? Follow Grusk down there and possibly take the fight to the vile bugs or keep goin with your plan and hope we can spear us a few more with your grappling spear thingy?"


HP 31/31, Acid Resist 5, Fast Heal 10/10, AC 18, CMD 13, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +0, Bombs 8/8, Init +2

"Honestly, ah wanna clear every las' sinkhole an' take as many of 'em out above ground as possib'l b'fore we head down b'low. They're gonna be a lot easier t' deal with up 'ere, an' ah wanna thin their numbers."


Primordial Ooze

Based on Doc's statement I'm assuming that the intent is to circle around the rim and gradually make your way towards the center? - collapsing sinkholes and killing any bugs you can along the way.

If you give a confirmation on that, and whether you'll continue the ground pound into the night or only during daylight then I'll have an update off the presses when I get back to the land of the internet in a couple of days.


Male Changeling Fighter 1, Monk 1, Rogue 1, Ranger 1, Actor 5

that's my plan, yeah.


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

"Good tactic fer ever-body but me!"

Unable to refute the logic that we are better off fitting above group where we can swarm the bugs....


Male Half Elf Wolf Shaman 5

We wont be far away Grusk.


Primordial Ooze

Back in action now

The party forsakes the path of blood and keeps to the exterior of the tunnel system. A couple more small sinkholes are found and collapsed without drawing out any more attention, but the third you locate has you strike green chitinous paydirt...

Grusk dances back from the initial earthmoving burst of the creature, loosing the arbalest loaded chain snare as he moves...
Touch attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
...though the snare lodges in the dirt in front of the creature... leaving it unbound and hungry...

Perception DC 20:
You can hear sounds of a second ankheg coming from the sinkhole before you.

Map
Black outline is edge of sinkhole. If you'd like to start in a slightly different spot on the map, just let me know in your first post.

Initiative Block:
Ankheg: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Sentis + Baran: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Doc: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Cort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Blaze: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Kaavel: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Grusk: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Action Tracker (Round 1): Cort, Doc, Ankheg, Blaze, Grusk, Kaavel, Sentis + Baran


Male Keleshite Magus(Kensai Archetype)/5

"Grusk, get your crazy butt back here, before you become bug chow!" He holds his blade at the ready, awaiting the Ankheg's move.


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

Perception
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

"We got a second one coming still under-ground!"


Male Human Fighter 4

"Crap. Grusk, get back here!" Cort says as he quickly draws his bow from his back and fires an arrow at the burrowing menace.

Attack:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26 for 1d6 ⇒ 3


Primordial Ooze

Cort's nocked arrow flies forward to lodge itself in a gap between two of the ankheg's chitin plates.

Just need Doc, then the ankhegs will go.


Male Half-Elf Martial Artist /4

Kaavel readies himself after seeing the Ankheg.

Just saying he reading himself, will post turn after Ankheg goes so I can see what it does.


HP 31/31, Acid Resist 5, Fast Heal 10/10, AC 18, CMD 13, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +0, Bombs 8/8, Init +2

Doc growls his surprise and concern and takes a shot at the monster bug...

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
1d12 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

...but all the musket does is click and puff. "Coal frammit, ye peice o' junk!"


Primordial Ooze

The ankheg busies itself with the closest prey, moving forward to assault Grusk...
Bite: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
... though it's inital bite is not accurate.

You feel some rumbling, but do not know exactly where the second bug is.

Perception DC15:
You think that it is below ground, and has moved past Grusk - sitting between him and the squad members defending the wagon.

Ankheg in sight only took a 5ft forward, so no need for new map yet.

Action Tracker (Round 1): Cort, Doc, Ankheg, Blaze, Grusk, Kaavel, Sentis + Baran


Male Keleshite Magus(Kensai Archetype)/5

Blaze fires off a pair of force missiles hitting the bug squarely. Casting Magic Missile for 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (3, 2) + 2 = 7


Male Half Elf Wolf Shaman 5

Awesome map!

Perception - 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17

Ware your step Wolves! The other ankheg is somewhere below and between us and Grusk.

The half elf draws his blade as he moves forward (D,8) and his hands flash briefly as a flaming-sphere bursts into existence beside him.


Male Wolf

Baran waited by the wagon as he was bid. He coule sense that the ...too big bug... was getting closer below ground and it made him tense.

Perception - 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

"Stupid bugs! Doc step on it, step on it!"

Morningstar masterwork acid resistance 5
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Damage
1d8 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13


Male Half-Elf Martial Artist /4

Kaavel goes into his fighting stance before moving forward and taking a swing at the creature.
Attack and Damage Rolls:
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 151d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11


Primordial Ooze

Blaze sends a pair of missiles arcing into the ankheg's form - momentarily staggering it. Grusk batters the bug with his stylish green morningstar.

Sentis moves forward conjuring fire from the air while Kaavel rushes the ankheg, but his fist slides off the bug's chitinous hide.

Action Tracker (Round 2): Cort, Doc, Ankheg, Blaze, Grusk, Kaavel, Sentis + Baran

Damage Tracker:
Ankheg (Red Aura) - 23

Grusk:
Can you let me know where the +7 damage for the morningstar comes from? - I get to +4 only (+3 strength, +50% for two handed swinging)

Map


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

DM

Spoiler:

bad math! ;)


Male Half-Elf Martial Artist /4

Kaavel takes some swings at the creature ago while saying "I wondered, think we can use their hide to make bowls?"

Flurry of Blows:
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 251d8 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 151d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

If it dies before my turn he still says that but kicks it has he does.


HP 31/31, Acid Resist 5, Fast Heal 10/10, AC 18, CMD 13, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +0, Bombs 8/8, Init +2

Doc continues his string of curses and clears the misfire from his musket.


Male Human Fighter 4

Cort moves forward toward the creature, knocking another arrow and firing smoothly as he moves, trying to stay away from wherever the other ankheg was burrowing.

Attack:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17 For 1d6 ⇒ 2


Primordial Ooze

As Doc clears his musket, Cort sends another arrow towards the exposed bug - but as he takes care not to strike Grusk or Kaavel, his aim is not assured.

The ground behind Grusk erupts skyward as a second ankheg surges from the earth and the pair attempt to turn Grusk into a tasty half-orken sandwich....
Bite: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 5 + 2 = 14
Bite: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 5 + 2 = 19
...the first missing and the second one's jaws close briefly around Grusk's breastplate, though it remains firm and no damage is caused.

Action Tracker (Round 2): Cort, Doc, Ankheg, Blaze, Grusk, Kaavel, Sentis + Baran

Damage Tracker:
Ankheg (Red Aura) - 20

Updated Map


Male Keleshite Magus(Kensai Archetype)/5

Is the blue ankheg within charging distance?


Primordial Ooze

Aye - 5ft squares on the map, so 30ft away


Male Half Elf Wolf Shaman 5

Sentis directs his flaming sphere towards the ankheg that errupted before him.

move action - damage - 3d6 ⇒ (1, 3, 1) = 5 - ankheg Reflex save DC 16 to negate damage. 1/4 rounds

as he slashed with the curved blade of his scimitar.

standard action attack - 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17 - damage - 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

DM

Spoiler:

Ok so +4 for two handed and +1 for masterwork gives a total of +5
I have updated my sheet accordingly.....


Primordial Ooze

Grusk:
Technically Masterwork only adds a bonus to attack, not to damage ;)


Primordial Ooze

Everyone is up except for Sentis (whose action I'll include in the next update)...


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

Morningstar masterwork acid resistance 5
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Damage
1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

"Have at thee vermin!"


HP 31/31, Acid Resist 5, Fast Heal 10/10, AC 18, CMD 13, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +0, Bombs 8/8, Init +2

Doc stomps forward, muttering angrily. "Coal durn, busted junk. Damned ugly critters tryin' t' eay mah damned ugly orc. Sonsab+#~@es."

Leveling his musket again, he fires at the closest ankheg.

5' adjust forward
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14 Touch Attack
1d12 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Male Keleshite Magus(Kensai Archetype)/5

Sunstrike held at the ready, Blaze charges the Ankheg near Sentis. Moving to E8 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28 Charge attack for 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

If Grusk and I are flanking 1d6 ⇒ 6 Precise Strike


Primordial Ooze

Sentis guides the ball of fire into the ankheg...
Reflex: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
...where it burns against the bug's underside. Blaze charges in and deals the creature a wicked cut, before Grusk ends it with his green tinted spiked ball of doom. Grusk gets flank + sneak attack + precise strike = death

Doc steps up and faces the remaining ankheg, targeting a chink in the armor where the plates would be left untouched but the musket ball would track ruinously through soft innards and puts an end to the other bug.

Combat over


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

"Well Doc tha creature got me in its mouth an tha armor held strong gainst its jaws! Iffen yah could check it over fer any damage, tha would be welcome."

"I'm guessen we got tah shuck tha critters we got an let tha chitin cure up."


HP 31/31, Acid Resist 5, Fast Heal 10/10, AC 18, CMD 13, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +0, Bombs 8/8, Init +2

"Yep, shuck 'em like th' last one boys. That was a nice bit o' work. Grusk, git tha' armor off an' lemme take a look. Once this one's gutted we'll move t' th' next hole."


Male Half Elf Wolf Shaman 5

Sentis went to work as the crafty dwarf directed. It was thankless, filthy work but had to be done.


Primordial Ooze

Resting for the night? - it's currently late evening.
I know that status quo continues tomorrow, do you want some campfire time or would you prefer a fast forward?


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

"Doc yer always fer movin on tah tha next hole!"

Easily removes the agile armor and lets Doc check it with his magnifying glass....

"How's it look?"


HP 31/31, Acid Resist 5, Fast Heal 10/10, AC 18, CMD 13, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +0, Bombs 8/8, Init +2

"Looks fine. Nothin' but scratches. Ah do damn fine work." Handing the breastplate back with a grin Doc lights a cigar.

"Git dressed."


Male Half Elf Wolf Shaman 5

As the sun setted on teh orizon Sentis started a fire and prepped camp some distance away from the sinkhole ladden field. Baran had hunted up a few hares while the others worked so the Wolves would be eating a hot meal that night and be ready for another day of bug smashing.


Primordial Ooze

The night falls and passes reasonably uneventfully, the only companions being the foul smell of ankheg guts and the squelchy wet sounds of Doc at work on them.

The next day begins in similar fashion, a sinkhole is found and the trap sprung. Only one ankheg is attracted by the call, though Grusk is quick and ready with the spear and the bug is dragged aside and slaughtered with ease... the Steel Wolves are getting better at this.

1 ankheg is hardly a challenge, so I've handwaved it.

The bug is drawn aside for slaughtering and your position is being circled by buzzards who look forward expectantly to their coming feast.

Perception DC 20:
To the North and East across the plains you can see a group of perhaps ten Mwangi soldiers jogging towards you.


Male Half-Elf Martial Artist /4

Perception:1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16

Kaavel does his forms after the fight to make sure he stays in practice.


Male Half Elf Wolf Shaman 5

Perception - 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15

Ever dutiful; Sentis was oblivious to his surroundings as he worked.


Male Wolf

Perception - 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Baran kept his focus on his dear friend and wary of any more of the monstrous bugs.


Male Keleshite Magus(Kensai Archetype)/5

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 Perception Blaze sees nothing.


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

Perception
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

"We got company! Doc did yah ferget tah get permission fer yer bug hunt?"


Primordial Ooze

Having been pointed out now by Team Green, the squad can see a group of roughly ten Mwangi jogging towards them across the savannah. They won't be upon you for a few minutes yet.

Knowledge Local DC 11:
The Bas'o tribe is known to pass through these lands reasonably often. They are a warrior culture, and you'd guess they are out a-hunting themselves.


HP 31/31, Acid Resist 5, Fast Heal 10/10, AC 18, CMD 13, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +0, Bombs 8/8, Init +2

"D' they know this 's bug territory? We might wanna warn 'em 'bout the sinkholes."

1,801 to 1,850 of 3,371 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Steel Wolves - Mercenary Campaign Game Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.