Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Starfinder-Dead Suns ala Fabian

Game Master Fabian Benavente


1 to 50 of 765 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

male

Is it too early to start discussing the upcoming campaign?


I guess not?
Game is released next month, right?
Who've you got lined up so far?


male
Harakani wrote:

I guess not?

Game is released next month, right?
Who've you got lined up so far?

I have Shari (Bronwyn), Jussi (Palisade), Joanna (my old Ire of the Storm game) and Angie (Vi) still needs to confirm.

I've placed some info on the campaign tab in case that wasn't obvious.

I'm really looking forward to see how these new rules play out and maybe implement them in regular Pathfinder so we can start telling some 'high-level' stories without the rules getting in the way too much.

Game on!


*waves*

Are you planning on running Dead Suns, Fabian, or a Starfinder Society scenario, or a homebrew, or what?


male
Joana wrote:

*waves*

Are you planning on running Dead Suns, Fabian, or a Starfinder Society scenario, or a homebrew, or what?

It's Joana with one 'n'. :)

I like APs so I plan on running Dead Suns, which everyone knows little about but we'll make it work.

Once more material is out then I'll evaluate running some scenarios, third-party stuff, or even homebrew but it's Dead Suns to start with.

Here's a blurb from the first book of the AP to get creative juices flowing:

A Ship Without a Crew

When a brutal gang war breaks out on a docking bay in Absalom Station, the player characters are recruited by the Starfinder Society to investigate the unexpected bloodshed. Delving into the station’s seedy Spike neighborhoods, the heroes confront the gangs and discover that both were paid to start the riot and that the true conflict is between two rival mining companies battling over a new arrival in orbit around the station: a mysteriously deserted ship and the strange asteroid it recovered from the Drift. To head off further violence, the heroes are asked to investigate the ship and discover what happened to its crew, as well as the nature of the asteroid it tows. But what the players find there will set in motion events that could threaten the entirety of the Pact Worlds and change the face of the galaxy forever...

Anyone have any inclination towards a race and/or class?


Probably human. Maybe a mechanic or an operative.


Yay. A space opera game, finally! Will need to research the rules about what's actually in it and what's not, but if there's anything like cybernetic augs I know where I'm gonna go ;^)


male
Kirsdrake wrote:
Yay. A space opera game, finally! Will need to research the rules about what's actually in it and what's not, but if there's anything like cybernetic augs I know where I'm gonna go ;^)

They will be part of the game. Here's preview.


Yummy. Then I'd like to go for a human, someone with neural cybernetics. Can very well be without measurable gameplay value to stert with, I mainly want 'em for RP purposes ;^) And if the rules allow for humanity loss and cyber psychosis... all the better in the end, if and when the character manages to lose parts of his anatomy and ends up replacing weak flesh with plastic and chrome-steel.


It's finally happening :)

I don't have an idea in mind for class...I'm usually good at filling niches. However, I am drawn toward playing non-human for race. I'm leaning towards the Ysoki but nothing certain yet. Lashunta could be fun too for the telepathy.


Fabian Benavente wrote:
Harakani wrote:

I guess not?

Game is released next month, right?
Who've you got lined up so far?
I have Shari (Bronwyn), Jussi (Palisade), Joanna (my old Ire of the Storm game) and Angie (Vi) still needs to confirm.

Ooh - that's a nice lineup!


male

If I were playing, I would consider lashunta, kasatha, vesk, android, or human (not too crazy about rat-people or bug-people). :)

Classes considered would be all of them, maybe envoy and soldier a close second.

However, I really need to read some more fluff to properly pick a race and find out what options there are for classes.

The reason I'm not liking soldier from the start is because fighters usually lack options but this may not be true here.

Looking forward to this...


Vesk look interesting, but I'd like to know more.
I'm fascinated by the idea of a bug-person, but the "choice is a drug" might go badly with PbP formt.
"You can go left or right."
"OR we could camp here. Or smash through the wall... Ohh. Or go back the way we came. Oh yeah. That's it."


@Fabian: are you not crazy about rat-people or bug-people because you don't like rats or bugs? Or because they aren't very useful?


Ratfolk... if only they were like the Skaven from Warhammer... would be fun to play a warpstone-snuffing cowardly horde-fighting chaosmage again, or perhaps a warpfirethrower-armed stormskaven. All glory to the Horned Rat! ;^)


Anyway, reading that collected information document... either mechanic or technomancer sounds fun and could work with the "slowly sinking into insanity" cyborg concept. I'm a bit iffy about mixing magic and science, so need to find out more about the backstory there... if I just think of it as manipulation of energy and bending the known natural laws rather than mystic mumbo-jumbo it should work for me ;^)


male
Shari wrote:
@Fabian: are you not crazy about rat-people or bug-people because you don't like rats or bugs? Or because they aren't very useful?

Nah, just fluff wise, you know me.

I'm sure the races are balanced and will be just as good as the other races. Paizo is good at that.

I really do need more fluff on these races but the kasatha and lashunta sound very interesting.


Slight update to the two ideas I have in mind...

Technomage

Hacker type who loves cybernetics since he believes they will aid him in his quest to uplift himself into a virtual entity, in the footsteps of Triune. Does not believe in the divinity of the gods and goddesses, merely sees them as failed remnants of past post-physical civilizations that for some reason decided to stay behind, haunting the physical plane. If they want to explain their existence to mere pre-post-physicals as gods, fine. And if some deluded fools want to believe it, no skin off his back. But he knows better. Would be heavily into hacking aspects of the game (Computer skill seemed to have that covered). No idea about the magic as it kinda seemed a lot of the old spells are made redundant by simple technological artifacts. But assuming there are some spells that make sense, he chooses to see magic as manipulation of energy on a higher level. Completely natural, nothing to do with silly superstitions.

Mechanic

Not particularly in love with cybernetics augs but ends up using them anyway, because of convenience or because he needs to patch himself up when he gets hurt over time and regenerative therapies just won't work on him due to some quirk of genetics. Kind of a Macgyver sort of tinkerer, heavy into explosives and big guns; has terrible aim so prefers to use weapons that are OK if you just aim in the general direction of the enemy and keep the trigger pressed down for a minute.


Stats

Power armour. Man, I love me some power armour.

I had a character once I was very fond of that had a number of computer controlled devices with "personalities". That guy was a Merc, but I'm not tied to that idea. Was a sort of play on a Daemon summoner. I noted that it appears possible to have voice controlled devices now - so that might work.

I love space ships, so maybe something there might work. That's going to depend heavily on what rules they have.


Looks like no one is leaning towards Envoy or Mystic so I'm taking a look at those. They would both suit a Lashunta so I guess that works :) But more info is always useful.


male

So Angie bowed out due to being too busy.

I've asked someone who I played with in the past. We'll see if he is interested. If not, we'll keep looking for a fifth player.

Game on!


male
Caleb Cage wrote:

Power armour. Man, I love me some power armour.

I had a character once I was very fond of that had a number of computer controlled devices with "personalities". That guy was a Merc, but I'm not tied to that idea. Was a sort of play on a Daemon summoner. I noted that it appears possible to have voice controlled devices now - so that might work.

I love space ships, so maybe something there might work. That's going to depend heavily on what rules they have.

The mechanic has the option of having an 'exocortex', which will probably turn into power armor. if not, I;m sure there will be an option for power armor.

Also, it's my understanding that the PCs will eventually get their own ship ala Firefly so maybe start thinking along the roles needed to do that.


male
Shari wrote:
Looks like no one is leaning towards Envoy or Mystic so I'm taking a look at those. They would both suit a Lashunta so I guess that works :) But more info is always useful.

Rereading the class previews in the blogs, both of these classes seem like they could be fun and very useful.

Lots of choices...


male

The solarian class got its preview and it looks pretty nice as well...


It just occurred to me that I'm going to be on vacation for a week right after Starfinder's street date. August 18-24.


male
Joana wrote:
It just occurred to me that I'm going to be on vacation for a week right after Starfinder's street date. August 18-24.

That's fine. I can't expect to play a 2-3 year long game and not have players take time off.

I'll hopefully get both rulebook and 1st book of the AP on the 17th so I'll have lots of reading to do.

You won't miss much even if we start before you are back.

Game on!


Hmm... after reading that Solarian class article I felt it'd fit better in a superhero game. dunno why, but can't shake the feeling ;^)


male
Kirsdrake wrote:
Hmm... after reading that Solarian class article I felt it'd fit better in a superhero game. dunno why, but can't shake the feeling ;^)

Really? I got more of a jedi vibe from it. But a lot less righteous. These guys can come from a planet monastery and be committed to letting the Cycle do its thing...


D'OH! I didn't get the jedi thing until now, but it makes perfect sense.
@Fabian: Are you subscribing?


male
Harakani wrote:
@Fabian: Are you subscribing?

No, I am not subscribing. I may get the hardcover rulebook later but for now I'll just buy the PDF books as soon as they are available.

I'm hoping there is not a lag this time like there is with the regular PF books where the subscriber get the books a couple of weeks before they are put on sale to the general public.

I'm banking on the website which says that both the PDF of the rulebook and first book of the AP will be available on August 17th.

We'll see.

BTW: I'm slowly re-reading the iconics, which have a lot of information on the setting.

Game on!


Ah - I figured I'd give the subscription a chance.
Do you prefer pdf to hardcover because of space, cost, or delivery? I still can't get over a physical book, at least for Pathfinder, but I'm getting there for other systems.


male
Harakani wrote:

Ah - I figured I'd give the subscription a chance.

Do you prefer pdf to hardcover because of space, cost, or delivery? I still can't get over a physical book, at least for Pathfinder, but I'm getting there for other systems.

Mostly space. I have five shelves full of RPG books going back to Dark Sun, Gamma World, Alternity, Fading Suns, Eberron (something like 11 books believe it or not), Midnight, and, of course, Pathfinder.

There was not an option of PDF files back then but now I am trying to go the PDF route. It actually allows me more mobility than the physical books as well. I load the PDFs on my tablet and off I go. I could never write turn recaps while on the road for work/vacation if I didn't have the PDfs.

That being said, I still do like the feel of a physical book but I buy a lot less of them. I'll probably buy the Starfinder hardcover.


Come on, gimme some Technomancer fluff already, Paizo blog ;^)


male
Kirsdrake wrote:
Come on, gimme some Technomancer fluff already, Paizo blog ;^)

I'm looking forward to that as well. We should get the iconic technomancer and then info on the class if Paizo follows their blogging schedule, hopefully this week.

Game on!


male

BTW, I've made no progress on the fifth payer. I've reached out to a couple of people but they have not responded so the likelihood of them playing is low to very low.

I may have to open up recruitment unless any of you have a good candidate. If so, PM me.

Game on!


Check out the Dataphiles faction in the Paizo blog!


male
Harakani wrote:
Check out the Dataphiles faction in the Paizo blog!

I'm not sure what 'Society' play is similar or different than what we do?

Can anyone explain?


Society play is the Organized Play campaign (Pathfinder Society, in PfRPG, Starfinder Society in SfRPG). Basically, everyone produces characters according to preset guidelines and plays the same adventures in a standardized way, then "reports" their characters and what they've played to level up. In Pathfinder Society, I believe it's 3 scenarios played per level. Parts of APs and modules are also "sanctioned," or approved, for groups to play for Society credit.

The biggest difference, apart from the method of leveling, is that you don't get to keep anything you find or loot in a given adventure; rather, everything is cashed in, and PCs shop from a preapproved list of gear and items. Also, each PC belongs to (in Pathfinder Society) or works for (in Starfinder Society) a certain faction; accomplishing tasks for the faction leadership earns Prestige (in Pathfinder Society) or Reputation (in Starfinder Society) with that particular faction that you can turn in to get Raised or conditions removed or whatever between play sessions.

The goal of Organized Play is to eliminate or reduce table variance, so that any player can sit down with any Society PC at any table with any GM anywhere in the world and "fit" with the rest of the PCs.


I thought it was nice that they were actually thinking about PbP though.


Yeah, there's been a Venture Captain of Online Play for PFS for ... huh, three years now. I didn't realize it had been that long.

I guess they're getting in on the ground floor with Starfinder.


male
Joana wrote:

Yeah, there's been a Venture Captain of Online Play for PFS for ... huh, three years now. I didn't realize it had been that long.

I guess they're getting in on the ground floor with Starfinder.

Is there any advantage to playing in Society games?

Would it make a difference in our game for example?

What is the benefit of playing in Society games other than having more games to chose from?


Anyone can run Pathfinder/Starfinder scenarios, whether for credit or not. They are available for purchase here and here.

The main advantage of Organized Play is portability: being able to sit down at a table anywhere and play a game with a PC you already have, without knowing anyone there. Or, in the case of PbP, being able to join any online Society game with a PC you already have.

The disadvantages are that there are strict rules about how PCs can be built and what classes, alignments, feats, equipment, etc., they can use. OP leadership can decide to remove options from the game at any time, and you'll have to rebuild your PC to be in compliance with the new guidelines. GMs are expected to run adventures straight from the book, without making any changes, so that every PC running through that adventure at any table faces the same challenges. And there's some bookkeeping involved to report PCs, their wealth and equipment, what scenarios they've played, etc.


Not suggesting you necessarily want in on this Fabian.

Yeah, I think it is not as bad for an AP, but it is a lot of work.

A lot of the rules errata they mandate is the stuff you do as well, Fabian: don't craft, limited companions, removing truly broken feats.


male
Harakani wrote:

Not suggesting you necessarily want in on this Fabian.

Yeah, I think it is not as bad for an AP, but it is a lot of work.

A lot of the rules errata they mandate is the stuff you do as well, Fabian: don't craft, limited companions, removing truly broken feats.

Agreed. I don't see any benefit in our games.

The thing that concerns me too is the fact that the recruitments for these games are usually (all?) 'first come first served' which means you could get 'stuck' with some awful players.

Any more thoughts on the setting or PCs.

I guess everyone is waiting for the books and/or tidbits.

We should get a preview of the technomancer by the end of this week.


Hmm... was there any blog posts about space combat? I assume it exists in the game, as it would be a major blunder to ignore... Wonder if they went with the "it works because we say it works, don't worry about the details" Star Trek approach, or something a bit more realistic like say, in the Honorverse books or B5?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
male
Kirsdrake wrote:
Hmm... was there any blog posts about space combat? I assume it exists in the game, as it would be a major blunder to ignore... Wonder if they went with the "it works because we say it works, don't worry about the details" Star Trek approach, or something a bit more realistic like say, in the Honorverse books or B5?

Yep, starship combat. Not my forte BTW but I'll learn. :)


Oh yeah, I recall taking a look at it. Too busy to properly watch the vid, but it seems at least that weapons firing arches are implemented, which is cool. Might be we can see some maneuvering for broadsides and rolling to present intact shields to enemies. Wonder if they implemented weapons in a realistic way, ie. beams would be relatively close-range weapons while torpedoes could be shot at targets light-minutes away, as long as they had the fuel to burn.


You say "starship combat," I hear "caravan rules." :P

I hope it's not as tedious as most of the AP subsystems.


male
Joana wrote:

You say "starship combat," I hear "caravan rules." :P

I hope it's not as tedious as most of the AP subsystems.

I never played that particular AP so I can't comment on the caravan rules.

I did GM the first part of the pirate AP (with some people here) and had looked into the ship combat rules. I agree that they were no fun because it boiled down to the captain (read one PC) making rolls.

This system apparently involves more than one person so that's a plus.

Again, not my forte but I have to admit that starships are a familiar feature of sci-fi. "Use the force Luke..." :)


Fabian Benavente wrote:

Any more thoughts on the setting or PCs.

I guess everyone is waiting for the books and/or tidbits.

Well, there's no Player's Guide for Dead Suns, so we've already gotten all the background information we're going to get on the specific adventure. 1) The PCs are on Absalom Station, and 2) either they are already on the radar of the Starfinder Society for some reason, or the Society just issues a general call on the public to do a job for them.

If the Society specifically asks the PCs for their help and I play an operative, I'm considering it being a case of mistaken identity: my PC is using a fake ID to avoid notice of a previous job gone wrong, and she just happens to be using the name and number of a Society contact. But we'll have to wait to see how the adventure opens: if we're sent for or just random bystanders.

1 to 50 of 765 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post Discussion / Starfinder ala Fabian Discussion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.