Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Souls for a Devil

Game Master Tordek Rumnaheim

A noble's son has gone missing while on a pilgrimage to Sirathu. Can our heroes find him in time?


301 to 350 of 2,339 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Tordek, I’ve updated Enard’s position (and shown him on his horse) on the map – sorry about the delay, I forgot that you had set it so we could edit.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Also, roughly how big are these crocodiles? The map appears to show them as medium creatures, is that the case?

Lantern Lodge

Male Human (Tien) Sorcerer of Battle 3

Rokuro speaks the same words he did earlier and two more star shaped discs race out to hit the leading Crocodile.
Casts Magic Missile at C5: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (1, 2) + 2 = 5

He then draws Akari and calls out to Savendir, pointing towards Urzur's flailing form, "Nature Warden, are you able to become one with the river and help out our headstrong friend, he seems to have gotten himself into danger."


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

“Good luck with that,” Enard mutters to himself, watching the crocodiles close in on Urzur. “Those reptiles are fast and tough. The northerner is toast.”

Realising that these aren’t exactly inspiring words, Enard cups his free hand around his mouth and yells out, “Urzur! Try to put your horse between you and the reptiles! Let the beasts eat the horse. Go with the current if you can’t swim out of there!”

Are Savendir and Urzur free to place their horses on the map or will Tordek do so? How strong is the current here? It should be swifter in the deeper water where Urzur is than in the shallower water where the crocs are, right? The river would be flowing from right to left across the page (the sea is to the west) correct?


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Seeing that Savendir is almost able to wade, Flavia draws her sling and stones as she sloshes closer to the crocs. Moved on the map; assuming half-speed wading.

"Hey, big uglies! This way!" Flavia fires a slingstone at the croc closest to Urzur, then starts splashing in the shallows, trying to attract them away from her friends.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 for 1d4 ⇒ 2 if it hits.


Answers to Enard's questions. The crocodiles are large creatures. Also, Urzur and Savendir can place their horses where they wish. Also, you are correct, the river is flowing right to left on the map.


Two more fiery orbs from Matsumoto's hand strike the lead crocodile. Again, it pauses briefly before resuming its swim toward Urzur. Flavia's stone splashes harmlessly between the crocodiles. However, her splashing does seem to attract the attention of two of the crocodiles. They turn to their right and begin to head more toward Flavia and Savendir.

Order of action
Mason
Flavia (posted)
Matsumoto (posted)
Savendir
Urzur
Enard
Crocodiles
End of round 2

Map


Male Human Cleric 2 / Rogue 1 {-14/16 HP, Init -20, Perception -40}

"This time for sure!"

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 8

Mason despondently watches his bolt sink into the water.


Male Elf Purist Druid 4, Heirophant 2 {HP 33/34, AC 16, Perception +12}

Savendir swims into shallower water before turning to obstruct the crocodiles with the local foliage.

Swim to k11 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24. At this point the water is shallow enough that I can stand up.

Entangle centered on V15. DC 14 save for all the crocs.


Crocodile Reflex Saves:
C1: Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
C2: Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
C3: Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
C4: Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
C5: Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

The aquatic plants in the river explode into a mass of tangled vines and try to ensnare the crocodiles as Savendir's spell takes effect. Crocodiles 5 and 2 become entangled in the vines and cannot move. The rest of the crocodiles manage to avoid the vines, but are slowed considerably.

Order of action
Urzur
Enard

Crocodiles
End of round 2
Mason
Flavia
Matsumoto
Savendir

Updated Map with entangled area in green

The dark green crocodiles are entangled.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Is it possible for a horse to charge through the 3.5 foot deep water? If so my action will be as follows, if not I might need to re-think.

Enard wheels his horse about (5 foot step) and readies to charge forward if needs be.

5 foot step with horse to L-M-3-4, ready action to charge a crocodile through the shallow water if it comes within 15 feet of the shore or 15 feet of Flavia’s position.


The shallow water is still difficult terrain so you will not be able to charge.


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}
GM Tordek wrote:
However, her splashing does seem to attract the attention of two of the crocodiles. They turn to their right and begin to head more toward Flavia and Savendir.

"Uh-oh."


Male Human (Ulfen) Invunlerable Rager Barbarian 3

I'm fail this week. Sorry. Anyways! To move further along is a swim check for the horse, right?

Urzur will be hopping off of the horse and heading for shore. The thing can follow or not, he cares little.

Swim, if needed:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19


Urzur Allsmasher wrote:

I'm fail this week. Sorry. Anyways! To move further along is a swim check for the horse, right?

Urzur will be hopping off of the horse and heading for shore. The thing can follow or not, he cares little.

Swim, if needed:d20 + 4

actually Urzur fell off his horse in the middle of the river as his horse struggled. You will need to swim checks for Urzur using his swim check.


Male Human (Ulfen) Invunlerable Rager Barbarian 3

Oh. Well, please use his swim check for this. Including the chain shirt -1, it's an 18 to make headway towards shore.


Urzur - Ok back to swimming.

Crocodiles 5 and 2 strength checks to break free
Croc 5: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Croc 2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Crocodiles 5 and 2 use their powerful legs to free themselves from the entangling weeds. Croc 5 is able to swim free of the weeds but Croc 2 cannot escape. The weeds tried to regrab the crocodile. Croc 2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20 but are unsuccessful and the crocodile remains free.

Crocs 1 and 4 swim up to Savendir and Flavia and poise to strike.
The badly damaged croc 5 and croc 3 move to attack Urzur.

Order of action
Mason
Flavia
Matsumoto
Savendir
Urzur
Enard
Crocodiles
End of round 3

Enard, you can change your action if you wish since you can't charge. Just let me know, and I will amend the results of your action.

Updated Map


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Fair enough about the no charge. I’ll amend if I may;

Enard wheels his horse about and urges it to the water’s edge with his knees (Ride check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21 vs DC 5, horse moves to P-Q-5-6), while he rummages in his pack for a scroll. Withdrawing the furled paper, he casts the spell on it, sending a single magic missile towards the wounded crocodile harrying Urzur.

[ooc]Get scroll of magic missile, cast on croc 5, damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Enard's magic missile unleashes another burst of energy through the crocodile. Steam rises off of the badly injured crocodile as the water washes over the superheated torso of the crocodile, but it continues to advance toward Urzur.

Order of action
Mason
Flavia
Matsumoto
Savendir
Urzur
Enard
Crocodiles
End of round 3


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Planned action, unless Mason does something spectacular:

Flavia steps back, drawing her rapier and praying to hit this monster in a sensitive spot.

Step to K10, rapier attack on C4: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10 for 1d6 ⇒ 5 if hits. No, of course not. :(

"Get behind me, Savendir. Maybe they won't get us both. Can't you make them like us as friends instead of dinner?"


Male Elf Purist Druid 4, Heirophant 2 {HP 33/34, AC 16, Perception +12}

"These are hungry predators. They respond to food."

Wild Empathy takes a minute, and even then the check would be high in this scenario.

Savendir moves away from the crocodile, but splashing around in the water, he cannot help opening himself up to attack. Then he unleashes an arc of lightning at the nearest croc.

Move to J9. Provokes AoO from Croc 4.

Lightning Arc on Croc 4. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 vs Touch AC. 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 electricity damage.


Flavia stabs at the crocodile with her rapier but misses. The crocodile snaps at Savendir as he moves away, Bite: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12 but Savendir is able to just evade the gaping jaws. He lets loose a lightning arc at the attacking crocodile but loses his footing in the river and misses.

Order of action
Mason
Flavia (posted)
Matsumoto
Savendir (posted)
Urzur
Enard
Crocodiles
End of round 3


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

“Flavia, what’s your plan?” Enard calls. “If you’re going to stay in the water and fight these beasts, I’ll try to flank one of them with you. If you plan to get out of there, I’ll stick with ranged spells. Let me know.”

Lantern Lodge

Male Human (Tien) Sorcerer of Battle 3

Rokuro draws in a deep breath and flexes his body. Amazingly he seems to swell with physical might, his muscles bulging under his armour. He moves forward into the water to try and draw some of the attention away from Flavia and Savendir.

Standard Action: Activate Strength of Heroes - Damage Boost.
Move Action: Move to M9.


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

"I want to get out of here, but not without Urzur. We're not leaving anybody in the water with these monsters," Flavia calls back to Enard.


Male Human Cleric 2 / Rogue 1 {-14/16 HP, Init -20, Perception -40}

Mason fires his crossbow at croc5.
Urzur, my apologies in advance...

Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 3
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Maybe?


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Enard urges his horse into the water, despite the battle trained animal’s reluctance to near the crocodile. Move to P Q 9 10 in such a way as to avoid AoOs (assuming the crocs only have 5 foot reach) and the entangling weeds. Flanking with Rokuro.

Ride check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Gripping the horse’s flanks with his knees, Enard urges the animal to stamp down on the croc’s hind quarters, while he grips his black blade tightly in one hand and makes arcane gestures with the other.

Using spell combat to cast corrosive touch, channel it into the blade and attack. Also as swift action using arcane pool to grant sword further +1 enhancement bonus for one minute.

Concentration check to avoid AoOs (casting defensively): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27 vs DC 17.

Attack with black blade and corrosive touch againt Croc 1: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25 Damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11 plus acid damage: 3d4 ⇒ (4, 4, 3) = 11

Urge mount to attack: Ride: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 vs DC 10.

Horse’s hoof attack against croc 1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17 Damage: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


Mason's bolt just barely misses the badly injured crocodile 5 bearing down on Urzur. Matsumoto moves to attack the crocodiles attacking Flavia and Savendir.

Enard rides valiantly into the river on his horse and deftly incapacitates crocodile 1. His horse finishes the job crushing the crocodile beneath its hooves.

Order of action
Urzur
Enard (posted)
Crocodiles
End of round 3
Mason
Flavia
Matsumoto
Savendir

I'd say Enard just earned his keep after that round. Nice change after the bandit encounter.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Certainly is! I was lucky enough to get some very nice rolls this round.
I’m trying to play Enard as a competent but cautious combatant – it didn’t pay off in the bandit fight but seems to be so far this time.


Enard, in answer to an earlier question. Yes, the crocodiles only have 5 feet reach. Urzur is up.

Updated Map with Croc 1 removed


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

In 8 feet of water, Urzur should be able to swim under his horse, shouldn't he? Or pull himself under? Though I'm not sure about the wisdom of swimming under a flailing horse - they can kick their bellies, can't they? Either way, it should be moving to cover from croc AoO's. Just curious - this is an interesting setup for a GM to run.

"Well done, Enard! Urzur, swim!"

I'm so glad I read that speaking does not have to be done on your turn. I used to make people wait until their turns. Now I yak, yak, yak.


Flavia, yes I like the talk anytime rule, especially in PBPs, it fills in the gaps while waiting for posts. Speaking of which, I hope Urzur posts soon. I'm curious to see if he will swim or fight. I have a feeling it will be the latter. Combat while swimming, hmmm, I think its time to read up on some rules.


Male Human (Ulfen) Invunlerable Rager Barbarian 3

Two crocodiles around him, a horse to his left, and solid ground a little ahead of him...

Dung. Dung TWICE.

Urzur loved a good fight, but trying to swing a sword while you were face-deep in water was the exact opposite of a good time. First he needed some footing. THEN he could murder every last one of these scaly inconveniences.

Swim 1d20 + 4 - 1 ⇒ (13) + 4 - 1 = 16

Assuming that worked, Urzur is using his double-move to get his happy butt over to J13, 40 feet away and through the horse. Since it's technically a move action can I draw my sword while doing it? I'm not sure how that'd work while paddling but...


Yes, you can pull your sword out as you near the last of your second move. The crocodiles each get an attack of opportunity.

Croc 5 AoO: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18, Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Croc 3 AoO: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22, Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Urzur's horse swim check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Each crocodile successfully bites Urzur as he dives under his horse to swim away. Urzur's horse swims swiftly to shore.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

“There’s a lot of blood and thrashing in the water over there people,” comments Enard as his horse whinnies nervously. “Anyone see Urzur – oh there! Still alive.”

I would have killed or disabled the horse and hoped the crocs stopped to snack.


Male Human (Ulfen) Invunlerable Rager Barbarian 3

But then what will I eat later?
21/35 hp, thank god for dr.

Urzur is looking to be right on the edge of flipping out and killing something, as the smell of his own blood hits him. "Of course I'm alive. I'm having gator tonight!"


Crocodiles 5 and 3 swim in pursuit of Urzur. Crocodile 5 is able to reach him in one move while Crocodile 3 must swim farther to catch Urzur.

Crocodile 5 takes another bite at Urzur.
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17, Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5, CMB:1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25
The crocodile's jaws sink into Urzur's leg and it refuses to let go. Urzur is grappled.

Crocodile 4 whirls its tail at Flavia and then tries to bite her with its powerful jaws.
Tail slap: 1d20 ⇒ 1, Damage: 1d12 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14; Bite + grab 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8, Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5, CMB: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19.

However, the nimble Flavia is able to pirouette out of the way.

Finally, crocodile 2 swims out of the entangled area and tries to bite Enard's horse.
Bite + grab 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19, Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5, CMB: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30

Enard, I wasn't sure of the stats of Swift, so let me know if the bite and grab are successful


Order of action
Mason
Flavia
Matsumoto
Savendir
Urzur
Enard
Crocodiles
End of round 4

Congratulations to Mason aka Taig, newly named RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 member!

Updated River Map


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

That is a hit and a grapple on the horse.


Male Human (Ulfen) Invunlerable Rager Barbarian 3

17/35 hp. Grappled.

Hide from Animals would be useless here, right?


Urzur Allsmasher wrote:

17/35 hp. Grappled.

Hide from Animals would be useless here, right?

A little late for that, but here is a helpful hint. Croc 5 is very, very badly injured from the magic missiles that Matsumoto and Enard threw at it earlier


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

As you are actively being grappled that could be interpreted as ‘touching an animal’, therefore rendering the spell void.


Male Human (Ulfen) Invunlerable Rager Barbarian 3

The one time I need a dagger... How does meleeing with an arrow work in your game, boss?


Urzur Allsmasher wrote:
The one time I need a dagger... How does meleeing with an arrow work in your game, boss?

Look no further than the PRD...

PRD wrote:
Arrows: An arrow used as a melee weapon is treated as a light improvised weapon (–4 penalty on attack rolls) and deals damage as a dagger of its size (critical multiplier ×2).

And speaking of being grappled...

PRD wrote:
Grappled: A grappled creature is restrained by a creature, trap, or effect. Grappled creatures cannot move and take a –4 penalty to Dexterity. A grappled creature takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls and combat maneuver checks, except those made to grapple or escape a grapple. In addition, grappled creatures can take no action that requires two hands to perform. A grappled character who attempts to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability must make a concentration check (DC 10 + grappler's CMB + spell level), or lose the spell. Grappled creatures cannot make attacks of opportunity.

So your attack roll for the arrow will be -6


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

I'm waiting for the result of Mason's action before posting.


I'll be GMPCing Mason while Taig finalizes his round 2 entry. Good Luck Taig!

Mason sees the crocodile take hold of Urzur's leg and hold on. He aims his crossbow at the crocodile and fires.

Attack on C5: 1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 - 4 = 5, Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 3

The thrashing pair are moving too quickly for Mason to get a clear shot and his bolt goes harmlessly into the water.

Order of action
Flavia
Matsumoto
Savendir
Urzur
Enard
Crocodiles
End of round 4
Mason


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Flavia pulls a fragile flask from her belt pouch and hurls it at the hindquarters of the croc who has hold of Urzur.

Pull acid flask and throw at croc C5 in square L13. Should splash C4 as well. Lessee, pull is a move and throw standard. I'm betting moving to L11 is more than a 5' step because of the water, so will forgo unless GM says it's OK. So, ranged touch with acid flask for C5. 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 6 - 2 = 22 touch for 1d6 ⇒ 4 damage to C5 if hits. If it hits, C4 takes 1 point.[/dice]


Flavia's throw is on target and the acid flask smashes against the crocodile. The croc's grip on Urzur slackens as the acid eats into the tough hide. The pain is too much for the crocodile to bear, it slips into unconsciousness and begins to drift with the current. The other crocodile also feels the searing pain of the acid as some splashes on to it.

Order of action
Matsumoto
Savendir
Urzur
Enard
Crocodiles
End of round 4
Mason
Flavia

Sorry, no five foot step for Flavia. Urzur is no longer grappled.

Map

Lantern Lodge

Male Human (Tien) Sorcerer of Battle 3

Seeing Enard's dispatch of the Crocodile before him, Rokuro steps up to take on the next one, hoping to take it down with Enard's help.

5' Step to N10
Attack C2 with Akari: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


Akari lands firmly on the crocodile biting Enard's horse opening a large wound on its left rear leg. The crocodile continues to clamp down on Enard's horse's leg.

Order of action
Savendir
Urzur
Enard
Crocodiles
End of round 4
Mason
Flavia
Matsumoto

301 to 350 of 2,339 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Tordek's Souls for a Devil PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.