Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Souls for a Devil

Game Master Tordek Rumnaheim

A noble's son has gone missing while on a pilgrimage to Sirathu. Can our heroes find him in time?


1,201 to 1,250 of 2,339 << first < prev | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | next > last >>
Lantern Lodge

Male Human (Tien) Sorcerer of Battle 3
Matsumoto Rokuro wrote:
[spoiler=Flavia]"Yes, and did you hear that their friend has disappeared in connection with the warehouse. Either he is just working there as they seem to think, or he has become a victim of the conspiracy as well it seems. Do you want to follow them and either ask them about it or continue to listen to their conversation?"[/url]

*shakes head at noob mistake that I only just picked up... :/


Flavia Sparacino wrote:

Flavia gives Rokuro a smile. "Sometimes, the direct approach works. Excuse me."

Slipping through the crowd, she moves next to the men talking about Hurst Gruhl. Planting herself in front of them, she says cheerily, "Excuse me, but were you talking about Hurst who works - worked - at Carthon's? He an old acquaintance of mine and I wanted to say hello now that I'm in town. But you say he's not around?"

[dice=Diplomacy]1d20+7
[dice=Bluff]1d20+7

The two men eye Flavia suspiciously. One of the men answers, "You look a little young to be an old acquaintance of Hurst. Who are you and what's your business with him?"


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Flavia shrugs and smiles. "I used to stop at Carthon's when I traded here, but haven't been in town for a year or so. Just wondering if it was the same Hurst. No point stopping to say hi if he isn't around. I'm just here to see the prophet. Is she as wonderful as they say?"


"Hmmm", says the man still eyeing Flavia suspiciously. "Cerpera is an amazing being. Since she made the fountain come to life, this town has come to life. She can be pretty radical at times, but I'm not complaining. Business has been good since folks like you started coming to town. You will see why soon enough."


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

"How exciting!" Flavia cries, clapping her hands and craning to see the fountain through the crowd, "I have never seen her before."


Male Human Fighter 3

.


As the sun reaches its peak, A bell atop Pharasma's temple begins to toll. It strikes twelve times to mark mid - day. A door opens at the rear of the temple and a 6 dark robed priests and priestesses emerge in a single file. The crowd which had been murmuring falls silent, as the procession begins.

The priests line themselves on each side of the rope area, taking positions at the beginning, middle and end of the roped area. There is a pause then another priest and priestess emerge. Their robes appear to be much finer than the first clerics, and they bear an hour glass filled with red sand on each shoulder. Finally, behind the two clerics a young woman, clad in a simple, gray, hooded cloak exits the temple. A gasp ripples through the crowd as the Oracle, Cerpera, begins the journey to the fountain.

The two senior clerics lead Cerpera slowly through the rope lined path between the temple and the fountain. When they finally reach the fountain, They part and allow Cerpera to pass between them. She climbs a stone step up to the wall of the fountain. Standing on the edge of the fountain, Cerpera murmurs a quiet prayer, and then steps onto the water. Another gasp emerges from the crowd as Cerpera walks on the water to the center of the fountain. She pauses, standing in the middle of the rippling water, ready to speak.

Cerpera is about to address the crowed, is there anything anybody wants to do before she does?


Male Elf Purist Druid 4, Heirophant 2 {HP 33/34, AC 16, Perception +12}

Spellcraft to identify if that was a spell being cast before she walks across the fountain 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Perception for anything out of place among the priests or Cerpera herself 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31

Savendir takes in his surroundings watchfully.


Savendir notices that Cerpera uses the priests to guide her along the path. As he looks closely at Cerpera, he is struck by the milky cast to her eyes. He tries to discern how she is able to walk on the water, but cannot detect any spell that she may be using.

Lantern Lodge

Male Human (Tien) Sorcerer of Battle 3

Rokuro's posture changes slightly when the bell rings, moving from taking in the crowd, to concentrating on the coming procession. He looks surprised to see Cerpera walking across the water. He guesses a spell, but tries to move closer to get a look at the fountain itself and specifically the water of her path.

Perception Check: 1d20 ⇒ 18


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Flavia has seen enough shysters, tricksters, and swindlers to know one when she sees it, though this is a good act. She looks for the rig in the fountain that allows the girl to appear to be walking on the surface, craning her neck to see.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


Matsumoto and Flavia study the fountain intently. The water is clear and the bottom of the fountain can be seen clearly. Nothing but the water seems to be supporting Cerpera's weight.


Male Human Fighter 3

"Pfft. She don't look like much. I seen crazier s~*$."

Actually true...


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

As the crowd shifts and jostles to see the oracle, Flavia takes advantage of the crush to sidle back to Rokuro's side. She looks at the sturdy swordsman until she catches his eye, then shrugs, plainly baffled by the walking on water gig.

She waits for the girl to speak.

Lantern Lodge

Male Human (Tien) Sorcerer of Battle 3

Rokuro nods and gives Flavia a shrug in return.
"It must be magic he whispers," as she draws up beside him.
He continues to watch the parade, confident that eagle eyed Flavia will pick up anything he misses.


Cerpera, in a trance like state begins to speak. The crowd quiets.

Cerpera wrote:


People of Golarion, Why do put such stock in Kings and Queens and councils and such? Are they any better than you? Who put them into those positions? Why are you here, laboring in your fields, giving such large portions of your meager harvest to fill some far off Korvosan nobleman's larder?

Enough I say! Do not turn to Golarion mortals to tell you how to live. To provide for you? Look at this fountain, left barren by a Korvosan government that spares narry a thought of you, except when your taxes are due. Ah, but you have not been forgotten. Pharasma has seen your plight. She has made the desert an oasis. She brought water to this fountain and blessed me with a vision of a better life. I do not speak for me, I am merely a conduit for her message. She sees this as a time of rebirth. An opportunity to throw off the yoke of serfdom and be reborn as free people, dedicated to a simple life of birth and death and service to each other and the land. Our current path leads to darkness. We must choose another. Do not follow me, follow Pharasma. She will provide for us.

Suddenly a tremor ripples through Cerpera's body and a dark look comes over her face. She continues.

Cerpera wrote:


No, not here. An evil presence has come into our midst. Someone here serves another. They foul this land with undead taint. They...

Cerpera pauses, and strains to resist something. And then begins to speak again. However, this time nothing can be heard.

The two elder priests, jump into the fountain, and take Cerpera by the cloak trying to lead her back. Suddenly, Cerpera's body goes limp. The priests calls out to the others to help carry Cerpera back to the temple.

Make perception checks and any other checks you think will help you figure out what just happened.


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Flavia wonders if this is all a part of an act and watches Cerpera carefully for signs of playing possum. Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

AS the priests carry her back, Flavia jostles through the crowd and nudges the man she was talking with before. "Wow, scary! Does this always happen when she speaks?" Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


Male Elf Purist Druid 4, Heirophant 2 {HP 33/34, AC 16, Perception +12}

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29
Heal: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

Savendir looks about with alarm, trying to assess what just happened to the oracle.

Lantern Lodge

Male Human (Tien) Sorcerer of Battle 3

Rokuro becomes suddenly alert, his body tenses and he looks around warily.

Perception Check: 1d20 ⇒ 20
Spellcraft Check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Knowledge (Arcana) Check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


"No", the man answers Flavia, obviously, startled. "Nothing like this has ever happened before."

Matsumoto:
You identify two spells that were cast. The first one was Cause Fear and the second one was Silence

Flavia, Savendir, and Matsumoto:

You all see the same thing. The male priest makes a slight motion to the side of Cerpera's neck before she collapses.

Savendir:

It is hard to make out at the distance that you are, but Cerpera appears to be unconcious.

All of the Pharasma priests quickly come to Cerpera's aid. They lift up her limp body and begin to carry her swiftly back to the temple. Shock gives way to panic as the crowd tries to figure out what has just happened.


Male Elf Purist Druid 4, Heirophant 2 {HP 33/34, AC 16, Perception +12}

Savendir weaves his way through the crowd toward Flavia's position. He whispers to her quietly, "Did you watch her handlers there? I think she may be in danger."


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Flavia nods at Savendir and whispers back, "This certainly isn't part of the usual act. Should we follow?"

Lantern Lodge

Male Human (Tien) Sorcerer of Battle 3

Rokuro moves closer to Flavia and Savendir. "Someone has been casting spells on Cerpera. The reason she could not talk was because she was silenced and someone also caused her unnatural fear as well".
He thinks for a moment. "The High Priest definitely did something to her as well, although whether he cast the spells or attempted to help her afterwards is something I do not know".


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Flavia nods at Rokuro. "Good pick up on the spells. Tracks led to the temple, now this -- right after the warehouse! I think we should follow." She grimaces in self-deprecation. "But maybe not split up."


Male Human Cleric 2 / Rogue 1 {-14/16 HP, Init -20, Perception -40}

"Yes, let's follow them. I'd like to find out what happened. Aaaaand, I'd like us to stay together this time, too." Mason grimaces as well.


Male Human Fighter 3

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Corvin digs his elbow in to Urzur's side, motioning to the retreating figures of the oracle and priests. Everything seems to have mostly gone over his head.

"Kid, that lady knows from anything. Damn good speech, that."

Are Corvin and Urzur close enough to everyone else to hear what Matsumoto said?


Corvin wrote:


Are Corvin and Urzur close enough to everyone else to hear what Matsumoto said?

Yes, you and Urzur can hear what Matsumoto said.

The priests carry the limp Cerpera into the temple and the door slams shut behind them. The scene around the fountain turns chaotic as people shout and strain to see what is happening. Some gather close to the temple to see if anybody will come and tell them what just happened. Others scatter, trying get clear of the fountain less a similar misfortune befalls them, also.

What do you want to do next?


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

"This whole thing is fishy. Is there a back way in to the temple? But first..." Flavia squeezes through the crowd to the fountain and takes a step into the water where Cerpera was walking.


Male Human Fighter 3

A dark look crosses Corvin's face at Matsumoto's pronouncement.

"This ain't natural. People messin' about with things."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Elf Purist Druid 4, Heirophant 2 {HP 33/34, AC 16, Perception +12}
Flavia Sparacino wrote:
"This whole thing is fishy. Is there a back way in to the temple? But first..." Flavia squeezes through the crowd to the fountain and takes a step into the water where Cerpera was walking.

It's about time you humans washed yourselves...

Savendir regards Flavia's experiment with interest and remains on the lookout for troublemakers.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Wash? Never! That's how you catch the catarrh!


Flavia's foot plunges knee deep into the fountain and finds the water quite cold.

Just then the constable and her three deputies arrive at the scene. "Everyone, remain calm. The sermon is over, please leave." Constable Enyden Sust tries her best to break up the milling crowd.


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

"Sunuva!" Flavia steps back out of the fountain and rejoins her guys. "At least there aren't any alligators in there. C'mon, let's go to the temple! We need to save Cerpera!"


Male Human Fighter 3

"I ain't never said no to a fight before. Ain't gonna start now."


The crowd begins to disperse. What are you doing next?


Male Elf Purist Druid 4, Heirophant 2 {HP 33/34, AC 16, Perception +12}

Can Mason and Flavia bluff us in? Perhaps as an offer of aid to the temple and to Cerpera? I think battering down the door and slaying the guards in broad daylight might attract unwanted attention.


Once you have your game plan put together, let me know and then I will proceed.


To help in your planning, I have expanded the temple of Pharasma and nearby neighborhood. Click on the link below to see the updated square. CS = Constable Sust, D1-D3 are her three deputies. The gray areas in front, represent the front doors. There are windows about 4 feet off the ground. There is a window every 10 feet around each building.

Updated Sirathu Square


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

"I think we should go around back, away from the onstables-cay, and maybe slip in a window, Rokuro," Flavia whispers, beckoning Corvin and Urzur over, "What do you think?"


By around back Flavia, do you mean toward the front of the temple? There is still a lot of people milling about the square who will be able to see the back of the temple.


Male Elf Purist Druid 4, Heirophant 2 {HP 33/34, AC 16, Perception +12}

I think wherever there is the least chance of being seen...


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Maybe it is around front. I thought the fountain was in front. But yes, wherever there are fewer people......


Male Elf Purist Druid 4, Heirophant 2 {HP 33/34, AC 16, Perception +12}

Could we enter through an upper floor? The adjoining house might provide an opportunity to enter through a higher window and attract less attention.


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

We should definitely walk around and scout it out quickly.


Male Human Cleric 2 / Rogue 1 {-14/16 HP, Init -20, Perception -40}

Mason is up for some second-story work, if necessary.


Give me some perception checks if you want to scout out the Temple.


Male Human Cleric 2 / Rogue 1 {-14/16 HP, Init -20, Perception -40}

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Male Elf Purist Druid 4, Heirophant 2 {HP 33/34, AC 16, Perception +12}

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16


Flavia, Mason and Savendir all notice a small door on the south eastern corner of the temple open. One of the Pharasma clerics emerges with a large basket of food. After struggling to balance the basket and close the door, the cleric finally gives up and begins her journey leaving the door ajar.

Updated Sirathu Square Map

1,201 to 1,250 of 2,339 << first < prev | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Tordek's Souls for a Devil PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.