Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Souls for a Devil

Game Master Tordek Rumnaheim

A noble's son has gone missing while on a pilgrimage to Sirathu. Can our heroes find him in time?


451 to 500 of 2,158 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Enard purchases another few days’ worth of travel rations and feed for the horse. That done, he’s ready to set off.


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Flavia picks up a few apples for Blazing Doom, too.


Male Elf Druid 4 {HP 25/26, AC 16, Perception +12}

Savendir stocks up on rations for the road, but is otherwise ready to go.


There are two routes you can go. You can continue to travel overland like you have been toward Sirathu. This route will take you a day and a half. Or you can take river route which is the main road that connects Janderhoff with Kaer Maga and runs straight through Sirathu. This route will take two full days. Which route do you wish to take?


Male Elf Druid 4 {HP 25/26, AC 16, Perception +12}

I say we take the road. This overland crossing has been treacherous.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Enard agrees.


After you make your purchases, you saddle up and take off along the road heading to Sirathu. The stream of travelers thins out after a few hours to the point that 30 minutes can go between passing groups. The travelers are similar to what you saw leaving Korvosa. A mixture of merchants, hired wagon leaders, and individual adventurers.

Is there anybody you wish to speak with along the way? If not you can continue to ride.

Lantern Lodge

Male Human (Tien) Sorcerer of Battle 3

Rokuro sits back and lets the others do the talking, content in their superior abilites in this environment.
He eats a vegetable broth and retires witht he others to their rooms.

In the morning, he eats a sparing breakfast and then buys some rations for their journey.
"I agree that the road would be a better option after our encounters on the journey so far, especially for only a half day lead."

On their journey he rides mostly in silence, except when the others engage him in conversation, at which times he will converse on their subject to the best of his abilities. He will remain alert for any signs of attack along the way.


Dusk begins to fall on the road, you see up ahead several brightly colored tents. As you continue to get closer, you begin to hear the notes of a traditional Varisian folk song followed by laughter and clapping.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

“Varisians,” Enard sniffs. “Keep your purses close ... What? Stereotypes like that exist for a reason you know ... anyway, they’re generally a hospitable and entertaining people, it may not be a completely terrible idea to camp with them tonight.”


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Flavia brightens. "The more, the merrier! If there are any rumors on the road, I'm certain they will have heard them. We may get lucky tonight."


Male Elf Druid 4 {HP 25/26, AC 16, Perception +12}

"There is safety in numbers, and it would be well to join their camp if they will have us. But we must be wary," Savendir warns.


As you continue to approach the camp, the sounds of music grow louder. Finally, you come to the entrance of the camp. A tall, dark haired, thin man with a thin mustache sits on a stool. He watches you intently as you ride up.


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

"Greetings!" Flavia calls, waving an empty hand. "We journey from Janderhoff and are seeking a campsite for the night. Do you mind if we camp nearby? As a wise friend said, there is safety in numbers, and we've been assailed by bandits and wolves of late."

Diplomacy to improve attitude: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


"Aye, you'll be much safer inside the tents. No tellin what rapscallions are about. 5 silver each will get you in, and a cot. There's food and drink but that will cost ya extra. Our expertise is keepin travelers such as y'self safe, fed and entertained." answers the gatekeeper.


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Flavia squints, uncertain of the gatekeeper's real intent.

Sense motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


Male Elf Druid 4 {HP 25/26, AC 16, Perception +12}

Savendir shares Flavia's skepticism. Sense Motive 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21


Flavia thinks she detects some honesty in those dark eyes and accepts his comments at face value. While Savendir believes that what the gatekeeper says is mostly true, this is a safe haven from the dangers of the lowlands. He still harbors doubts that everything is completely safe on the inside.


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

"What a relief!" Flavia smiles at the man. "Though 5 silver seems a bit steep, considering we just paid 3 in the safety of Janderhoff for lodging and breakfast both."


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Enard quietly mutters something about having already encountered one lot of highway robbers on this trip ... But he makes certain that none of the Varisians are in earshot.

Lantern Lodge

Male Human (Tien) Sorcerer of Battle 3

Rokuro moves his horse closer to Savendir, leaning in to whisper. "Honoured Nature Warden, does this fee not seem a little high as Mistress Flavia says?"


The dusky skinned man smiles. "It is much more dangerous out here than it is in Janderhoff. We have a number of guards on duty all of the time to keep our guests safe. We don't have as many guests here as is seen in Janderhoff, so their costs have to recouped somehow don't you think? If you remain outside we cannot help you if trouble comes along. You will get your money's worth and more if you enter I assure you."


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

"What kind of accommodations do you have? And do you have one tent large enough for all of us?" Flavia asks their potential host.


The man eyes the group for a moment. "We have a few tents that can accommodate all of you. Mind, you will probably have to share it with other travelers. There are blankets to rest on. They'll pad the ground a little."

He sees another potential group of travelers coming up the road. "So will you be coming in or not? I have other customers heading this way."


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

"Good by me," Flavia says, digging out coppers to total 5 sp, "I assume our mounts are guarded as well, of course."


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

“Yeah, alright,” mutters Enard, reaching for his purse and rolling his eyes at Flavia if he catches her gaze.


Male Elf Druid 4 {HP 25/26, AC 16, Perception +12}

Savendir nods slightly to acknowledge Matsumoto's question, but sighs and pays the requested amount.

Lantern Lodge

Male Human (Tien) Sorcerer of Battle 3

Seeing the others moving to pay, Rokuro digs coins out and pays the man.


The man smiles as he pockets your money. He steps aside to allow you to enter the makeshift compound. "There is a holding pen for your horses to the right and this cloth will show that you are our guest" he says as you pass and hands each of you a brightly colored swath of cloth. "Just pin it to your clothing somewhere visible"

As you enter, you see 3 wagons to the left, one smaller wagon set apart from the others in front of you and the holding pen to the right. Three large tents are set on the edge of the compound to the left. One between the 3 wagons and 1 wagon, and the other 2 further left of the set of three wagons. A fire is in the center of the compound, and a crude tables have been fashioned from planks. A fiddler plays a Varisian tune while dancers twirl about in front of several onlookers. The smell of cooking meat over the fire wafts to your nostrils. There seems to be about half a dozen other travelers such as yourself in the compound. You see two guards keeping watch on the darkening sky.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

The guards are actually watching the sky? As if they perhaps expect danger from that direction? Or as if they're skylarking rather than doing their jobs?


Darkening skyline is a more accurate description of what they are watching.


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Flavia gives Enard a tiny shrug. "Shall we pick out a tent? Do you guys prefer the one between the wagons, or one of the two set apart?" She walks Blazing Doom to the holding pen and feeds him an apple while she removes his tack and carries it with her to look at the available tents.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

"One of the two I think," says Enard, who clearly doesn't entirely trust the Varisians - whether out of unfair prejudice or hard experience is difficult to tell. "We want some space."

Following Flavia's example, he leads Swift and 'Spare' over to the holding pen and removes the saddles after pinning the ribbon to his coat.

Lantern Lodge

Male Human (Tien) Sorcerer of Battle 3

Rokuro leads his horse over to the holding pen and dismounts, removing his gear and taking all but the tack and saddle with him to their tent with the others.


A young Varisian boy gently takes your horses and leads them into the pen. "Welcome, strangers" he says to you as he takes each horse's lead. "You look hungry. You can get some dinner over by the fire. It's only 3 cp for a plate of venison and boiled vegetables. Mmmm mmmm it's good."


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

"Smells good," Flavia remarks absently. If she's able to find an empty tent which holds the entire group, she dumps her gear in a corner and digs rations out of her pack. "You're right, Enard. Lots of methods of highway robbery. But we should be safe tonight. You gents might enjoy the entertainment here, too. We should make sure somebody stays with our gear, though, or it may grow legs."


Male Elf Druid 4 {HP 25/26, AC 16, Perception +12}

Savendir nods and looks about warily before stowing his pack.


After you stow your gear, are you going to explore the camp?


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

I suggest that Urzar and/or Mason guard our stuff – given that their players are otherwise occupied at the moment – while anyone else who wants to heads out to explore.

Enard makes sure that his purse and spell component pouch are pulled around to the front of his belt (so he can see them) and adjusts the straps holding Heartstriker’s scabbard in place so that the long sword is jauntily displayed, then wanders over to the fire to buy a plate of venison. He’ll keep an eye out for any interesting displays of entertainment or whatever else the Varisians have to offer, but he also keeps a wary eye on his person and possessions, and on anyone who tries to get too close, greeting any unwanted advances or attention with a stony frown.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

Once she finishes her rations, Flavia dumps everything except armor, rapier, cloak, one hidden dagger, Sleight of hand: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25 to hide and three sling bullets in a belt pouch into her pack and leaves her gear (tack and full pack) for Urzar and Mason to guard. She wanders the camp, chatting of the dangers of the road and her liking for Varisian food and music with anyone who approaches, but not discussing their mission or strength. She tries to find out any good rumors or stories, particularly about disappearances. Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15 to gather information.

Note: She normally wears her chain shirt under her adventurer's outfit, so it's not immediately obvious.


Flavia finds most of the people in the camp quite friendly and welcoming. No one seems to have heard about any disapperances, but "Have you visited Madame Parasca yet?" is a common question that many in the camp ask Flavia.


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

"Does she do Harrow readings? I've always wanted one done!" Flavia replies and asks that they point the way to Madame Parasca. If they answer in the negative, she tries to find out what exactly Madame Parasca does, and if it's for men only.

Figuring this is gonna cost, Flavia stops by the base tent to pick up some spare cash, about 5 gp worth of silver, which she tucks down her front without ceremony.

Cash in, uh, hand, she heads for Madame Parasca's.


Male Elf Druid 4 {HP 25/26, AC 16, Perception +12}

Savendir wanders the perimeter of the encampment, trying to get a sense of who is guarding them and what lies around the area.


One of the members of the camp answers Flavia. "Yes, she is the leader of our camp and many come from far and wide to have her do a Harrow reading for them. You must see her before you leave. She is in the wagon in the center of the camp. The one set aside from the others."

As Savendir, walks the edge of the camp, he sees a guard posted along the three edges of the camp opposite the front entrance. Each one warily watches the fields beyond the edge of the camp for signs of trouble. As Savendir, appproaches one of the guard the guards glances at him and notices the colored cloth on his clothing. "Welcome guest. Restless are you? We will keep you safe. Have you visited Madame Parasca yet? She can put your mind at ease with knowledge of what lies ahead."


Male Elf Druid 4 {HP 25/26, AC 16, Perception +12}

Savendir stands pensively for a moment. "Perhaps."

"How goes the watch?" he asks after a time. "Have these lands been safe for travelers?"


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

“Well I don’t put a whole lot of faith in fortune telling,” Enard mutters to Flavia. “But some few of these Harrowers are proper diviners or so I’ve heard ... at the very least this Madame Parasca has probably heard a thing or two, if so many people go to see her. I’ll tag along if you’re going.”

Lantern Lodge

Male Human (Tien) Sorcerer of Battle 3

Rokuro too wanders around the camp, taking in the sights it has to offer. At the prompting of several people telling him to visit Madame Parasca, he moves over to Flavia and Enard, catching some of their talk about Harrowers.
"Many pardons for my ignorance, but what is a Harrower and why does everyone keep telling me to go and visit her?"


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

“A Varisian fortune teller,” answers Enard. “You’d have seen some of them in Korvosa if you ever ventured into the Old City, or places like Trail’s End. Some claim to see the future in tea leaves, or entrails, or crystal balls ... Harrowers use a set of cards called the Harrow Deck. In my experience most so called Harrowers are charlatans and swindlers, but some have true power.”


Female Human Rogue 3 {-2/24 HP, Init +6, Perception +6}

"They do indeed, just as some clerics and mages use magic to foresee. Harrowing is a little different, though. Typically, the seer lays out the cards in a certain pattern. Each position has a meaning, and so does each card. Sometimes I think their greatest talent is remembering the import of each card. Taken together, the cards are supposed to reveal something about their customer's coming fortunes." Flavia laughs. "Of course, everything seems portentous if you're looking for portents. But I'd like to have a reading done, for fun if nothing else. What about you gentlemen?" Flavia strolls with Enard and Rokuro to the lone wagon in the center of the camp, double-checking that the camp's badge is still pinned to her sleeve and checking out the wagon to see if it's obviously open for business.


Male Elf Druid 4 {HP 25/26, AC 16, Perception +12}

After surveying the camp perimeter, Savendir meets back up with his companions. "Perhaps she is a charlatan and perhaps not. My curiosity is piqued."

451 to 500 of 2,158 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Tordek's Souls for a Devil PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.