Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Souls for a Devil

Game Master Tordek Rumnaheim

A noble's son has gone missing while on a pilgrimage to Sirathu. Can our heroes find him in time?


1 to 50 of 531 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2

Discussion thread

Character creation and game play rules can be found on the campaign description page.

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5

I’d like to put my hand up for a spot Tordek. Might take me a few days to come up with a character concept though, have a lot going on at the moment – is that ok?

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2
Mothman wrote:
I’d like to put my hand up for a spot Tordek. Might take me a few days to come up with a character concept though, have a lot going on at the moment – is that ok?

Yes, I had you and CH specifically in mind when I started this. I figure it may take a week to flesh out all of the characters.

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5

Thanks mate.

I think I would like to play an arcane magic user of some sort, possibly a witch or a magus (but not quite decided as yet ...)

Osirion RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

hmmm...


I could play, if you want. I could even roll up a barbarian or some kind of archer.

Or if you need one, something completely different.

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5
Trinam wrote:
I could even roll up am barbarian

FIFY ;-)


Mothman wrote:
Trinam wrote:
I could even roll up am barbarian
FIFY ;-)

I'm trying to avoid breaking the game... also full-on AM BARBARIAN requires leadership to get something so horribly awesome as his mount it is silly.

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2
flash_cxxi wrote:
hmmm...

C'mon, you know you want to. ;)

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2
Trinam wrote:

I could play, if you want. I could even roll up a barbarian or some kind of archer.

Or if you need one, something completely different.

Barbarian is fine, or whatever else. I'd love to have you in the game.

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2

I updated the Campaign description page with a few more notes to help with character creation. If you need more information, ask here.

I will use the description page as repository of reference material so that you do not have to search threads for basic info in the future.


Are feats from Orcs of Golarion allowed, or do we need to stick to the core/UC/UM/APG for the feats as well as races?

EDIT: The one I'm specifically eying is Destroyer's Blessing.

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2
Trinam wrote:

Are feats from Orcs of Golarion allowed, or do we need to stick to the core/UC/UM/APG for the feats as well as races?

EDIT: The one I'm specifically eying is Destroyer's Blessing.

That should be ok. I'll check when I get home tonight and confirm.


Oh right. HP rolls.

Assuming I'm rolling that archer...

2d10 ⇒ (10, 2) = 12

...decent, surprisingly.

Silver Crusade

Male Celestial Cleric of Myself 10/Radiant Servant of Me 10

I'm interested. I'll give some thought as to what I might put together.

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2
Celestial Healer wrote:
I'm interested. I'll give some thought as to what I might put together.

Terrific!

So far then I have
Mothman
Trinam
Celestial Healer
Flash - maybe?

I know between hectic schedules and home internet problems it may take awhile to finish your characters. That is no problem. I rather take a little longer up front so that everyone has time to make a character they like than to rush and lose somebody. So let's keep the start date flexible.

This campaign has been rattling around in my head for over a year now. Although, it has morphed quite a bit from my original concept. I'm looking forward to letting it out into the wild.


Oh right. For the purposes of planning:

Mechanically, I plan to make a half orc Fighter(Archer)/Urban Barbarian(Invulnerable Rager) based on the theory that Spell Sunder + Bow = :awesome:. I know that the build is definitely sound from 10th onward. I also know the build is solid from 1-3. This game should be a nice test of the build from 4-10.

In short, this might totally suck, guys, but I think I've got it ironed out well enough.

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5

It’s been a while since I’ve played an pure arcanist (apart from a bard and a multiclass ranger/wizard/eldritch knight) and I haven’t as yet played any of the new base classes beyond the core rule book, so as I said I’m thinking of going either witch or magus at this stage.

I like the look of the magus, but I’m thinking that in feel / gameplay / party role a magus may not be too different from the eldritch knight. I haven’t ever looked closely at the witch, but one of the guys in my RL group plays one and it looks quite fun (and fairly bad ass).

Anyway, long story short I’m still somewhat undecided ... might wait to see what others have in mind.


I play a witch, and this far between Fortune, Evil Eye and Cackle I haven't even needed to casty a spell yet.

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5

Yeah, our witch seems to use Hexes a lot more than spells too. Evil Eye, Fortune, Misfortune and Slumber are favourites.

Osirion RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Mothman wrote:

I’m thinking of going either witch or magus at this stage.

I like the look of the magus, but I’m thinking that in feel / gameplay / party role a magus may not be too different from the eldritch knight. I haven’t ever looked closely at the witch, but one of the guys in my RL group plays one and it looks quite fun (and fairly bad ass).

Anyway, long story short I’m still somewhat undecided ... might wait to see what others have in mind.

Play a Hexcrafter Magus...

I have a Hexcrafter Magus planned out in my head.
Take Familiar as one of your Magus Arcana for flavour and blammo, best of both worlds. :)

Osirion RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Tordek Rumnaheim wrote:

So far then I have

Mothman
Trinam
Celestial Healer
Flash - maybe?

I know between hectic schedules and home internet problems it may take awhile to finish your characters. That is no problem. I rather take a little longer up front so that everyone has time to make a character they like than to rush and lose somebody. So let's keep the start date flexible.

Alright. Since you're flexible, I'm in. :)

I might wait a bit and see what CH comes up with before I commit to a concept...

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5
flash_cxxi wrote:


Play a Hexcrafter Magus...

I have a Hexcrafter Magus planned out in my head.
Take Familiar as one of your Magus Arcana for flavour and blammo, best of both worlds. :)

Hmmm ....

You’re a thinker Flash.

Osirion RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Mothman wrote:
flash_cxxi wrote:


Play a Hexcrafter Magus...

I have a Hexcrafter Magus planned out in my head.
Take Familiar as one of your Magus Arcana for flavour and blammo, best of both worlds. :)

Hmmm ....

You’re a thinker Flash.

lol... Can't say I've been accused of that too often. :)

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2
flash_cxxi wrote:
Tordek Rumnaheim wrote:

So far then I have

Mothman
Trinam
Celestial Healer
Flash - maybe?

I know between hectic schedules and home internet problems it may take awhile to finish your characters. That is no problem. I rather take a little longer up front so that everyone has time to make a character they like than to rush and lose somebody. So let's keep the start date flexible.

Alright. Since you're flexible, I'm in. :)

I might wait a bit and see what CH comes up with before I commit to a concept...

Welcome aboard!

That's four. I think I have room for 2 more, but if all we have is 4, we can roll with that.

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2
Trinam wrote:

Are feats from Orcs of Golarion allowed, or do we need to stick to the core/UC/UM/APG for the feats as well as races?

EDIT: The one I'm specifically eying is Destroyer's Blessing.

Yes - you can use that feat.

RPG Superstar 2012

I'm interested! I'll have to think about the character I want to play.


Female Humanish Very little class but on the level

Can I make it #6? Probably ranger. Maybe detective bard since investigation looks likely.

Silver Crusade

Male Celestial Cleric of Myself 10/Radiant Servant of Me 10

I'm leaning towards druid. Probably more casterish than melee.

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2
taig wrote:

I'm interested! I'll have to think about the character I want to play.

great - just promise me no metagaming if a Drake shows up. I had planned to some of 3pp material in this adventure. ;)

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2
Treppa wrote:
Can I make it #6? Probably ranger. Maybe detective bard since investigation looks likely.

Yes, you are in. I like the investigative bard idea. I think its a concept I can incorporate.

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5

Hp rolls (if d8s): 2d8 ⇒ (6, 8) = 14
Hp rolls (if d6s): 2d6 ⇒ (4, 1) = 5

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5

Here are my preliminary backgrounds and stats for both character ideas ... they’re entirely subject to change at this point! Tordek, I haven’t as yet worked out all the answers to the specific questions posed in the ‘character creation’ section, and don’t want to present them for general perusal at this point besides.

Both GM and fellow players, please feel free to read and comment on one or both ideas.

Witch:

Marna Zaveri. Female Human (Varisian) Witch 3. N.
Str 9, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 17, Wis 12, Cha 13
Feats: Extra Hex, Extra Hex, Brew Potion
Hexes: Fortune, Cackle, Evil Eye, Slumber
Spells/Day. 0: 4, 1st: 3, 2nd: 2
Skills: Intimidate 2 ranks, Knowledge Arcana 1 rank, Knowledge nature 2 ranks, Spellcraft 3 ranks, Perception 3 ranks, Stealth 3 ranks, Knowledge History 3 ranks, Heal 1 rank
Patron theme: Time
Familiar: Centipede
Traits: Reactionary? , Lore Seeker (if appropriate)
Hp: 14 (note, haven’t assigned favoured class bonus yet)

Marna grew up in a family of Varisian wanderers, and always had a strange fascination with the ancient ruins that dotted the land, wishing to explore them despite doing so being somewhat taboo to her people. One day, in her late teens, she had snuck away to explore such a ruin, when she was bitten by an unusual looking centipede lurking under a rock, causing her to faint away. When she came to, she found her vision oddly distorted, tinged with strange visual echoes, and found the centipede perched on her chest, seeming to watch her. She took the creature back to the caravan with her, and began to commune with it in private as it taught her the secrets of magic.

Her family did not understand her new powers or her attachment to the horrid worm, and within a year she left the caravan as it passed through Korvosa, settling in Trail’s End where she worked amongst the local population as a healer, a seer and a crafter of curses.

Magus:

Enard ‘Darkblade’ Slade. Male Human (Chelaxian) Bladebound Magus 3. N
Str 15, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 9
Feats: Toughness, Combat Casting, Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword)
Spells / Day: 0: 4, 1st: 4. Arcane Pool: 4
Skills: Intimidate 3r, Knowledge Arcana 3r, Spellcraft 3r, Ride 1r, Perception 3r, Knowledge Dungeoneering? 2r, Climb 2r
Hp: 31 (favoured class bonus assigned to hp)
Traits: Focused Mind, Fencer

Enard Slade was the only son of a minor nobleman of Korvosa. Blessed with a high level of intelligence, his father enrolled him in an academy of magic (the Acadamae?), but although Enard grasped the theory of magic quickly, his first love was swordplay. His study of magic stayed very much focus on spells that could complement his combat ability or cause damage in their own right. His father encouraged his sword training, with the strange condition that he focus on heavier blades, rather than the rapiers popular amongst the young nobility of Korvosa.

When he was in his late teens, Enard’s mother passed away, and his father quickly fell into bad habits of drinking, drug taking and gambling. Within a few years he too passed, leaving Enard to pay off his crippling debts. The Creditors took all the gold and the families modest estate, and in the end Enard was forced to sell the family title to avoid retribution from the nobles and thieves that his father had borrowed from. Whilst cleaning out the family home, Enard came across a black bladed bastard sword of unusual design, mouldering in the attic. Although it seemed unremarkable, he felt strangely attached to it, and resolved to keep it, and take up the life of a sell sword and battle mage.

Now Enard both despises the nobles who abandoned his family in their time of need, and desperately wants to be back in that life, hating himself for it. He fights and adventures for the thrill, somewhat addicted to the rush of danger, but also for the money, a chance to buy back some of what he lost.

In recent months, the black bladed sword has begun to whisper to him, first in his dreams, now while he is awake, and a power appears to be growing within it ... and a determination for something that remains as yet uncommunicated.

Also, a question Tordek, for the witch (or magus really as well), is it possible to start with greater than the minimum number of spells known for a 3rd level character? I would like to start with maybe an additional 2 spells known per level if possible, to reflect some possibly picked up in the ocurse of adventures since level 1.

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2
Mothman wrote:

Here are my preliminary backgrounds and stats for both character ideas ... they’re entirely subject to change at this point! Tordek, I haven’t as yet worked out all the answers to the specific questions posed in the ‘character creation’ section, and don’t want to present them for general perusal at this point besides.

Both GM and fellow players, please feel free to read and comment on one or both ideas.

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **...

I like both concepts. Interesting choices for hexes for the witch. I have a player in my runelords game who plays a witch and has the misfortune hex. That hex + cackle has save the party a few times. Grrrr! ;)

As far as your question about spells. I'll agree to the extra spells known, 2 per level. The only caveat is to have a little back story to go along with where you picked up the spells. It doesn't need to come out right away in the adventure, but maybe at some point, if someone asks where you learned a particular spell, you can tell them the old war story that goes along with it.

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5

Thanks Tordek.

With the choice of witch hexes it seems very easy to go down the ‘wicked witch’ path, and that’s not quite what I was aiming for (at least not too much – if I settle on the witch I’ll give you a better idea of her personality then), so I thought Fortune might make a nice(r) counterpoint to things like cackle and evil eye ... although cackle and misfortune probably are a good combination ...

I need to stop coming up with more than one good character concept for a game. I will think of something for the Magus and go ‘oh, that is so cool,” then I will think of something for the witch and think ‘that will be a lot of fun’ .... Spoiled for choice.

At this stage I’ll keep developing both, and keep an eye on what the other guys come up with – depending on the party mix and personalities, one might end up making a lot more sense than the other.

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2

FYI - I will allow third party classes. Just check with me first.

EDIT: I have updated the character creation section accordingly.

Osirion RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Mothman wrote:
At this stage I’ll keep developing both, and keep an eye on what the other guys come up with – depending on the party mix and personalities, one might end up making a lot more sense than the other.

If I can ask a favour (please don't feel obligated to, you play what you want), are you able to play your Magus?

I have something I want to try and having a Magus alongside it would help out greatly. :)

Silver Crusade

Male Celestial Cleric of Myself 10/Radiant Servant of Me 10

I'm debating between two druid builds.

1. An eagle shaman druid with the air domain. This is a druid that likes to fly and likes lightning.

2. If the group needs a healer, I might go with the purist archetype from KQ. They get spontaneous healing instead of summoning and channel energy instead of wild shape. The only thing lacking would be that the cure spells are mostly behind a level. If I go that route, is that something we could change somehow?


As an archer, anything that debuffs AC or boosts attack is amazing.

But that is neither here nor there. I am working on a character, and hope to have it ready (and forthcoming story associated with it as well) by Monday.

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5
flash_cxxi wrote:
Mothman wrote:
At this stage I’ll keep developing both, and keep an eye on what the other guys come up with – depending on the party mix and personalities, one might end up making a lot more sense than the other.

If I can ask a favour (please don't feel obligated to, you play what you want), are you able to play your Magus?

I have something I want to try and having a Magus alongside it would help out greatly. :)

I'm actually tending more strongly towards the magus at this point. While I think the witch may be a mechanically / power-wise better choice, I think I'd have more fun with the magus. If that helps you too, consider it done.

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2
Celestial Healer wrote:

I'm debating between two druid builds.

1. An eagle shaman druid with the air domain. This is a druid that likes to fly and likes lightning.

2. If the group needs a healer, I might go with the purist archetype from KQ. They get spontaneous healing instead of summoning and channel energy instead of wild shape. The only thing lacking would be that the cure spells are mostly behind a level. If I go that route, is that something we could change somehow?

What issue of KQ is the purist archetype in? I have a few issues so there is a chance I may have it.

Silver Crusade

Male Celestial Cleric of Myself 10/Radiant Servant of Me 10
Tordek Rumnaheim wrote:
Celestial Healer wrote:

I'm debating between two druid builds.

1. An eagle shaman druid with the air domain. This is a druid that likes to fly and likes lightning.

2. If the group needs a healer, I might go with the purist archetype from KQ. They get spontaneous healing instead of summoning and channel energy instead of wild shape. The only thing lacking would be that the cure spells are mostly behind a level. If I go that route, is that something we could change somehow?

What issue of KQ is the purist archetype in? I have a few issues so there is a chance I may have it.

KQ 15.

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2
Celestial Healer wrote:
Tordek Rumnaheim wrote:
Celestial Healer wrote:

I'm debating between two druid builds.

1. An eagle shaman druid with the air domain. This is a druid that likes to fly and likes lightning.

2. If the group needs a healer, I might go with the purist archetype from KQ. They get spontaneous healing instead of summoning and channel energy instead of wild shape. The only thing lacking would be that the cure spells are mostly behind a level. If I go that route, is that something we could change somehow?

What issue of KQ is the purist archetype in? I have a few issues so there is a chance I may have it.
KQ 15.

Ok - don't have that one, but if you think you'll go that way, I may just go ahead and buy the pdf. It sounds interesting.

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2

Here is a summary of players and characters that are forming now.

Trinam - Archer - changed to Barbarian based on observation that party is light on smashing things
Mothman - Human Magus
Flash - Sorcerer
Celestial Healer - Some form of Druid - settled on Purist Druid from KQ #15
Treppa - Ranger or Investigative Bard
Taig - Drake Tamer (from Book of Drakes)

Of course nothing is set in stone.

EDIT: Changes made above based on comments below.

Silver Crusade

Male Celestial Cleric of Myself 10/Radiant Servant of Me 10

Are we a little melee light?

Based on what we've got, I'll go with the Purist Druid to make a primary healer, but it's not a melee focused build.

Channel Energy in exchange for Wild Shape isn't a very even trade, I admit. Can I adjust the cure spells to their cleric levels? It's still a bit of a weak archetype, even then.


We are melee light. Screw it, I'm rolling a Barbarian.

2d12 ⇒ (4, 10) = 14

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2
Celestial Healer wrote:

Are we a little melee light?

Based on what we've got, I'll go with the Purist Druid to make a primary healer, but it's not a melee focused build.

Channel Energy in exchange for Wild Shape isn't a very even trade, I admit. Can I adjust the cure spells to their cleric levels? It's still a bit of a weak archetype, even then.

Yes - you can use the cleric cure spells. Do you think you will bond with nature and pick up a domain spell or choose an animal companion?

A hint for all: I like undead monsters, the purist druid fits in perfectly with this adventure.

If after a few encounters, we find this archetype is still weak, we can adjust it further.

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5

Tordek, I’ve got some ideas for the questions you’d like answered of each character (fears, loves, secrets etc). I’ve yet to put them to paper, but when I do there’s a few I’d like some feedback on from you before I lock them in. How would you like to handle that? Spoilered posts in this thread, email? (I don’t really do facebook).

Shadow Lodge

Male Husband/10 Dad/10 Gamer/5 RPGer/2
Mothman wrote:
Tordek, I’ve got some ideas for the questions you’d like answered of each character (fears, loves, secrets etc). I’ve yet to put them to paper, but when I do there’s a few I’d like some feedback on from you before I lock them in. How would you like to handle that? Spoilered posts in this thread, email? (I don’t really do facebook).

Email is fine. You can find my email under the game play tab on the Campaign Description page. Let me know if you can't find it.

Andoran

Male Mothman Expert 5
Tordek Rumnaheim wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Tordek, I’ve got some ideas for the questions you’d like answered of each character (fears, loves, secrets etc). I’ve yet to put them to paper, but when I do there’s a few I’d like some feedback on from you before I lock them in. How would you like to handle that? Spoilered posts in this thread, email? (I don’t really do facebook).
Email is fine. You can find my email under the game play tab on the Campaign Description page. Let me know if you can't find it.

I had missed it earlier, but I've found it now, thanks.

1 to 50 of 531 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post Discussion / Souls for a Devil OOC Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.