Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Sons of Dammerhall: Dark Frontiers

Game Master GM SuperTumbler

Fasturvalt Battle Map

Throttleneck Tactical Map

Current Upper Azathyr Map


651 to 700 of 709 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Snorri Tharnhammer wrote:
"What will you do, Iverna? I would appreciate your company, but I'll understand if you want to remain home to rebuild."

Iverna looks up from where she is handling Geirni's remains. A few other gnomes move to help her, stripping their lost lord of his mortal possessions. To them, she says "It will take some time to move all of the dead into the Compost Heap. For now, let him lie here where he fell, finally trying to do something right, and still screwing it up..." They nod as they remove all of his possessions.

To Snorri, Iverna says, "Fasturvalt has never felt much like home. I agreed to take you to Vothys, and so I will take you at least that far. If we live that long, we'll have to ask the stone what comes next. If you think to find another route to the Lower Azathyr, your best bet would be to look in the Jungle. Water flows there from the surface, and goes on below, so perhaps somewhere there is another option. Though if any one was known, the Drow would have secured it to maintain their monopoly on travel between the layers."


Drow Antipaladin loot:
He is wearing a suit of +1 full plate. It is decorated with some minor bug demon themes, but those could be removed with a few craft checks. He also has a masterwork greatsword, a heavy steel shield, and a masterwork lance.

Of course, there are as many falchions and javelins as you could want.


N Male Dwarf Wizard 2 | HP: 14/14| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 10 Ff) | CMB: +1, CMD: 14 | F: +1, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft |Active conditions:
GM SuperTumbler wrote:


The gnome startles, not expecting to be addressed. "When Geirni was-was struck down, Erebos fled from the battle. I think I saw him running up the stairs toward the Lord's Hall..."

Dasur nods his thanks to the gnome before making his exit from the battlefield. Dwarven legs rush to the Lord's Hall as quickly as they can- he was eager to discuss his post-battle epiphany wth his only arcane peer in the underdark.

He is huffing by the time he reaches the top of the stairs, but stumbles forward into the Hall undeterred.


NG female Dwarf lvl 1 Spiritualist Init +1; HP 11/20 : AC 13,T 11, FF 12 (+2 dodge vs aberations) : Fort+5, Ref+1, Will +6 (add +2 vs compulson & charm / add +4 if phantom is in head vs all mind affecting effects) darkvision 60ft, Perc +8/+10 stonecunning : CMB +3 (+2 bonus to grapple aberrations); CMD 14 (+4 bonus on bullrush and trip on solid ground

Accepting the hand up with a mumbled, "Thank you.". Don't forget my axe!

Gathering her fallen things then quietly moving to help gather the so called spoils of war, only doing so with the guidance of Regnir in her mind. Ignore the blood and gather what seems to be of value. Nalnera ignore the blood.

Paying little attention to those moving around. Follow the crazy one. Your drow slave might be making a break for it." Turning around and spotting Darus running off, "What?" I said follow.

With a sigh Nalerna drops off whatever she had gathered and moves to follow Dasur.


Male Dwarf Paladin of Torag 2 | HP 23/23 | AC: 21, T: 11, FF: 20 | Fort: +8, Ref: +4, Will: +6 | BAB: +2, CMB: +5, CMD: 16, M.Attack +6 [1d12+4]| Init: +1 | Perception: +2 | Smite Evil 1/1, Lay on Hands 4/4

"Glenda, my dearest, would you carry the armor and weapons back to Fasturvalt? I'll bring the enemy commander."

With a grunt, Snorri loads the drow over a shoulder and heads back towards the gnome town, following Dasur and Nalnera.


Female Dwarf Cleric of Magrim 2 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | Fort +4 Ref +1 Will +5 | Initiative +1 | Perception +5 | Channel Energy 3/4 | Blast Rune 6/6 | Gentle Rest 6/6 | Bless

"Of course, my liege," says Glenda, and carefully packs up the arms and armor for transport before she falls into the procession back to town.


Dasur runs into the wide flung doors of the great hall, Nalnera fast on his heels. He sees no sign of Erebos in the hall or adjoining chambers, and moves further into the building.

He finds the drow in Geirni's bedchamber, sitting on Geirni's bed with his weapon across his knees.

"Ah, friend Dasur. I take your survival to mean that you have secured control of the gnomish rabble upon the death of their lord. I have secured the treasury, there in the chest. Now that we hold their seat of power, we can begin to define Lord Snorri's rule here..."


N Male Dwarf Wizard 2 | HP: 14/14| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 10 Ff) | CMB: +1, CMD: 14 | F: +1, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft |Active conditions:

Dasur takes a moment to catch his breath, fumbling to withdraw the parchment containing the refaction patterns of the tourmaline he used to record the fate-defining moment between Snorri and Tamar. "Yes thank you, but I have more important matters to discuss. After we captured the drow commander the gnomes offered Lord Snorri rulership of Fasturvalt. I realized I was witnessing an incredible crossroads of fate with respect to the gnomes. Suddenly, it occured to me that by applying my Second Law of Crystalline Resonance, which we have discussed, I can use a non-native gemstone, which in this case was a completely mapped tourmaline from the surface, to record changes in fate-energized space-time and compare them to a long-standing, localized structure, which in this case is the Flowstone, measure the changes between them, and use it as a model to predict when massive fate-changing moments will occur by observing subtle shifts in crystal structures over time!"

In his excitement Dasur has forgotten to breathe, and he pauses to take several deep breaths before continuing. "Now, I need to check the math, and later I ask you to review it, but when Snorri refused the mantleship of King, there was a slight shift in the refraction line at 708b...."


Erebos: "None of that seems germane to our current situation, Dasur. If Snorri will not take control of the city, what are our plans?"

It takes only a short while for Glenda and Snorri to catch up with Dasur and Nalnera, Iverna trailing behind, most of which is spent with Dasur and Erebos discussing arcane minutia.

Iverna moves smoothly to the metal chest, opening it with a key recovered from around Geirni's neck. The chest contains about 5600 gp in coin and gemstones.


N Male Dwarf Wizard 2 | HP: 14/14| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 10 Ff) | CMB: +1, CMD: 14 | F: +1, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft |Active conditions:

Dasur smooths out the parchment on a nearby bedstand. "If I can determine the intergrals of these refraction patterns with relation to the flowstone, I could answer that question for you right now, Erebos." He mutters, staring intently at the page and doing some calculations on the margins.

He is still working feverishly when Snorri and the others enter, not looking up from the parchment. The wizard's usual dour and reserved attitude has seemingly vaulted to that of an obsessed maniac- he talks to himself in a low mutter, eyes wide and mind focused on unraveling the mysteries of the Stone, and there seems to be little that will distract him.


NG female Dwarf lvl 1 Spiritualist Init +1; HP 11/20 : AC 13,T 11, FF 12 (+2 dodge vs aberations) : Fort+5, Ref+1, Will +6 (add +2 vs compulson & charm / add +4 if phantom is in head vs all mind affecting effects) darkvision 60ft, Perc +8/+10 stonecunning : CMB +3 (+2 bonus to grapple aberrations); CMD 14 (+4 bonus on bullrush and trip on solid ground

Staring at Dasur with a look of confusion and speaking but being ignored, "I really don't think that matters right now."

Let me out and I will take care of the problem. Are you talking about Dasur or Eerbos?{/i] [i]Both. Nope, not you call

Glancing back and spotting Glenda and Snorri and mumbling, "Eerbros secured the money of Fasturvalt and thinks it is yours. Its not is it?"


Male Dwarf Paladin of Torag 2 | HP 23/23 | AC: 21, T: 11, FF: 20 | Fort: +8, Ref: +4, Will: +6 | BAB: +2, CMB: +5, CMD: 16, M.Attack +6 [1d12+4]| Init: +1 | Perception: +2 | Smite Evil 1/1, Lay on Hands 4/4

Snorri walks inside the room, unceremoniously dumping the bound enemy commander on the floor and listening to Nalnera.
"Rightfully, it's Fasturvalt's. But Tamar told us to help us to what the treasury held, and had it been equipment we wouldn't have hesitated much."
"I believe that as long as we spend it in the town, and don't run it dry, we could use part of it to stock up on adventuring supplies. "


Erebos stands and turns to Snorri, "Are you mad, Snorri? This meager wealth is yours by right. These gnomes owe you their lives and their liberty. Certainly some mineral wealth is a small price to pay. This sort of generosity will not serve you here in the Azathyr."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Paladin of Torag 2 | HP 23/23 | AC: 21, T: 11, FF: 20 | Fort: +8, Ref: +4, Will: +6 | BAB: +2, CMB: +5, CMD: 16, M.Attack +6 [1d12+4]| Init: +1 | Perception: +2 | Smite Evil 1/1, Lay on Hands 4/4

Snorri shoots a glance at Erebos, passing over several cutting remarks that come to his mind. "Dwarves do things differently. I won't build a kingdom on foundations of greed."

"Now, one last thing I wish to do, before we rest."
One by one, he walks to his friends, placing a hand upon their shoulder.
"Cousin Dasur, your bright mind and your deep knowledge are a light to show us the way forth. I name you Sir Dasur, Speaker for the Stone and High Magister."
"Cousin Nalnera, Ancestor Regnir, you are two as one, a link to our past to prepare us for the future. I name you Dame Nalnera, Speaker for the Ancestors and High Marshal, and Sir Regnir, Speaker for the Past and High Warden."
"Dear Glenda, your bravery is second to none and your wisdom is a beacon to keep us together. I name you Dame Glenda, Speaker for the Gods and High Minister."
"So it shall be by my name, my blood, and the stones of our ancestral home."

"And you, Erebos, have acted honorably towards us. I do hope that henceforth you will join us as a companion, rather than a prisoner."


N Male Dwarf Wizard 2 | HP: 14/14| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 10 Ff) | CMB: +1, CMD: 14 | F: +1, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft |Active conditions:

Dasur pauses his work as Snorri lays a hand on his shoulder, recognizing the significance of the title bestowed upon him. "It is a great honor, Lord Snorri. My research, when completed, will be for your benefit, and I hope it will serve you well."

The wizard quickly runs out of space on his current parchment, and goes to get out another before realizing the nightstand is inadequate for continuing his calculations. He sits cross-legged on the floor, hunched over the documents and writing furiously.

"I will prepare scrolls for our journey." Dasur says suddenly, still writing. "I have many new theories to try."


N Male Dwarf Wizard 2 | HP: 14/14| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 10 Ff) | CMB: +1, CMD: 14 | F: +1, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft |Active conditions:

Dasur makes a large purchase of scrolls and supplies from Fasturvalt's premier magical supplier before spending days testing out new magical theories and copying spells.

All the scrolls are 1st level and thus a DC 16 spellcraft check to learn.

spellcraft: Monkey Fish: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12

spellcraft: Endure Elements: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

spellcraft: Air Bubble: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

spellcraft: Comprehend Languages: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

spellcraft: Identify: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

spellcraft: Animate Rope: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

spellcraft: Ant Haul: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

spellcraft: Stone Fist, elemental speciality: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 10 + 2 = 13


Monkey Fish: FAIL
Endure Elements: SUCCESS
Air Bubble: FAIL
Comprehend Languages: SUCCESS
Identify: SUCESS
Animate Rope: SUCESS
Ant Haul: FAIL
Stone Fist: FAIL

He succeeded at understanding 4 of the scrolls, so that will cost 40 gp in materials to write into his spellbook, the scrolls are destroyed, and it took 8 hours.

It will take a week before he can try again on the failures, but the scrolls are not destroyed. However,
he will go ahead and purchase the 40 gp of supplpies needed to learn the remaining 4 scrolls so if there isn't a magical supplier around at the time he can still scribe them into his spellbook.

Dasur will craft the following scrolls:

Burning Hands x2
Color Spray
Grease
Shield
Mage armor
Feather fall
Enlarge Person

8 lvl 1 scrolls at caster level 2 costs 200 gp and 16 hours to craft

In total, that's 320 gp spent on materials to scribe spells and 24 hours of work.


Dasur spends a few days holed up with Erebos scratching arcana into his spellbook. Erebos makes his own observations of Dasur's work, but doesn't writing anything into his own books.

Those two days are filled with a strange mix of mourning, work, argument, discussion, and celebration among the svirfneblin. The dead, gnome and orc alike, are taken far into the mushroom fields where insects begin to turn them into compost. A trio of Miatha, Tamar, and the new sheriff begin to show themselves as the new leaders of the community. Strangely, they lack religious or arcane leadership.

Iverna keeps herself separate from all of these affairs, disappearing for most of the time.

I think we are ready to go, except for the captured drow commander. Do we want to interrogate him, execute him, leave him to the gnomes?


N Male Dwarf Wizard 2 | HP: 14/14| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 10 Ff) | CMB: +1, CMD: 14 | F: +1, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft |Active conditions:

With all that compost the mushroom harvest will be explosive this year!

Dasur doesn't care about the Drow commander, but if asked he would say to press him for information on another route to Lower Azathyr and then give him to the gnomes. Thy could use a good pinata.

Otherwise ready to go.


Male Dwarf Paladin of Torag 2 | HP 23/23 | AC: 21, T: 11, FF: 20 | Fort: +8, Ref: +4, Will: +6 | BAB: +2, CMB: +5, CMD: 16, M.Attack +6 [1d12+4]| Init: +1 | Perception: +2 | Smite Evil 1/1, Lay on Hands 4/4

"Give me one good reason" says Snorri, watching the bound prisoner in the dungeon, "why I should keep you alive. Along with any information you have about Vothys and the passage towards the Lower Azathyr."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sorry, somehow I missed this post. Once we are ready to go, are we going the same direction as last time? Left and into the Jungle?

The commander releases a long string of curses in Elven before switching to Undercommon, "I care not whether you preserve my life, spawn of a genital louse on Torag's balls. All you need to know of Vothys is that it is impregnable, and that it guards the Maw of the Dragon inviolably. Cut my throat, smash my head, I care not. My life and soul belong to Deskari. What you do to my body is irrelevant."

Erebos will gladly tell you that the Maw of the Dragon is what the drow call the shaft between the Lower and Upper Azathyr. The gnomes call it The Great Jumping Off Point.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Paladin of Torag 2 | HP 23/23 | AC: 21, T: 11, FF: 20 | Fort: +8, Ref: +4, Will: +6 | BAB: +2, CMB: +5, CMD: 16, M.Attack +6 [1d12+4]| Init: +1 | Perception: +2 | Smite Evil 1/1, Lay on Hands 4/4

Bah. I had hoped he'd squirm some more. No fun like this. And no reason to leave him alive.
Snorri casually kicks the drow to the ground. "I do wonder how Deskari rewards failure, being beaten in battle first, in personal combat later. I guess you are about to find out."
The Dammerhall-forged axe quickly falls towards the prisoner's neck, avenging the affront of being forcefully dropped.
Oh, that felt nice. I need to buy Glenda a gift.

Ready to go too! I'd say to keep that route, but explore the Jungle for any hidden tunnel.


N Male Dwarf Wizard 2 | HP: 14/14| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 10 Ff) | CMB: +1, CMD: 14 | F: +1, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft |Active conditions:

Alas, all our captives can't be winners. Into the Jungle!

Dasur takes his usual spot on the wagon- sitting in back, carefully writing on parchment that is braced on the back of his spellbook. Amazingly he seems to know when the ground is about to get bumpy, always lifting his quill pen the moment before the cart rattles over an uneven patch of road.


The citizens of Fasturvalt turn our en masse to bid you fairwell, giving you gifts of salted fish and dried mushrooms that taste just enough like pork to remind you of the surface, but not enough to keep you from missing it.

It takes 16 days to make your way to the western entrance the Fungal Jungle. An army of orcs has recently passed these tunnels in the opposite direction, which has the benefit of eliminating any roaming monster threat. The downside is that have eaten all of the yummy cave crickets and fungi. You approach the collapsed entrance to the drow Dark Road, but there appear to be no efforts on this side to reopen it. In fact, the days roll beneath your feet in a dreary fashion, though you are happy to once again be moving toward your goal.

Iverna takes the lead when it comes to scouting. The tiny woman seems happier here in the tunnels away from her home. If anyone will take him up on it, Erebos will spend his downtime sparring and will otherwise discuss magic with Dasur.


Female Dwarf Cleric of Magrim 2 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | Fort +4 Ref +1 Will +5 | Initiative +1 | Perception +5 | Channel Energy 3/4 | Blast Rune 6/6 | Gentle Rest 6/6 | Bless

Glenda accepts Snorri's accolades with equanimity.

As the group makes their way across the Fungal Jungle she always keeps an eye on Erebos, always on the lookout in case the drow decides that his interests are better served by betrayal.

Constantly tireless, she bears her load of tools and food supplies in addition to her armor with no complaint and no apparent tiring.


NG female Dwarf lvl 1 Spiritualist Init +1; HP 11/20 : AC 13,T 11, FF 12 (+2 dodge vs aberations) : Fort+5, Ref+1, Will +6 (add +2 vs compulson & charm / add +4 if phantom is in head vs all mind affecting effects) darkvision 60ft, Perc +8/+10 stonecunning : CMB +3 (+2 bonus to grapple aberrations); CMD 14 (+4 bonus on bullrush and trip on solid ground

Nodding and staring at the ground when Snorri starts handing out title. Tell the would be king you will settle for nothing but the title of Queen. I do not want that Regnir. You will change your mind when you see it. I doubt that. Grinning at the growl in her head. Fine tell the imposer that a title without a crown means nothing.

Smiling at Snorri, "Thank you."You will not get to talk to anyone but me until you can be nice.

Throwing herself into helping the citizens of Fasturvalt until it is time to leave. And then quietly following after the group into the jungle.

Stepping up walk next to Glenda, "Might I ask you a question Glenda?"

Assuming you do not say no

"Would you tell me how you came into the faith Magrim?"


N Male Dwarf Wizard 2 | HP: 14/14| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 10 Ff) | CMB: +1, CMD: 14 | F: +1, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft |Active conditions:

Dasur addresses the group as they break camp for the current travel cycle. "Finding a way into Vothys may be impossible now. With their army defeated, the Drow will be on the highest of alerts."

A piece of tightly wrapped cheese casually floats over to Dasur as he speaks, carried by an Unseen Servant the wizard often summons at the end of the day. "Perhaps if we meet natives in the Jungle they will be able to point us towards an alternative route into Lower Azathyr. As long as we are descending, we are closer to our goal."

The Servant slowly and methodically passes out food to everyone, ponderously floating back and forth from the wagon to their seated positions. "Iverna, Erebos, what kind of intelligent creatures live in the Jungle? What is the best way to seek them out?"

Can Dasur make a knowledge roll to answer this question as well? If so:

Knowledge: whatever: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13 Dasur has +9 to all knowledges except arcane (+11), dungeoneering (+10) and Engineering (+11).


Erebos has much to say on the subject of the jungle's denizens: "There are two primary players within the Jungle. A group of myceloids who call themselves the Xan, and the Skis-raal, a race of intelligent spiders who appear to have come through some sort of planar rift. At least, we have no record of their existence before about 100 years ago, whereas they think they have been around forever. The Xan are as weird as you would expect intelligent fungi to be. They move slowly, have strange motivations, and are largely indecipherable. Their leader is some sort of mystic mushroom who never leaves their home. The third power players in the Jungle are your dark cousins. The duergar have no permanent settlements within the Jungle, but they have a few roaming slave camps. The duergar are dangerous."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
N Male Dwarf Wizard 2 | HP: 14/14| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 10 Ff) | CMB: +1, CMD: 14 | F: +1, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft |Active conditions:

Dasur ponders the situation. for a few moments. "The Xan sound difficult to communicate with, though there is no harm in trying. In fact, the Xan may be our best chance considering our last enoucnter with a Skis-raal ended when we were forced to kill one, while another escaped. If the Skis-raal are as organized as their nests lead me to believe, they may already know of our presence, and given our past violence, would be difficult to bargain with."

The wizard's oak dowel rolls in his hands as he drones on about their dark cousins. "The Duergar... will attempt to enslave or kill us without hesitation. Their dark god Droskar will reward them handsomely to see Elder Dwarfs such as ourselves enslaved and tortured. Do you know the tale of Droskar, Erebos? He was once the greatest smithy apprentice to Torag, our god and the creator of all dwarfkind. One day Torag discovered that all of Droskar's ingenious designs and fine work were stolen from others, produced in workhops filled with the ensolved souls of dwarfs whose rightful place was by Torag's side. Enraged, Torag placed a curse upon Droskar: he could never again create an original work, and banished him from Heaven."

Dasur shifts, running fingers over the amulet hidden beneath his shirt. "This may not seem much to you, but creating original works is considered one of the most holy and rewarding callings among our people. Thus, Droskar toils in despair, trying to steal ideas from his worshipers, and encouraging they suffer the same misery as he."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Dwarf Cleric of Magrim 2 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | Fort +4 Ref +1 Will +5 | Initiative +1 | Perception +5 | Channel Energy 3/4 | Blast Rune 6/6 | Gentle Rest 6/6 | Bless
Nalnera Tharnhammer wrote:

Stepping up walk next to Glenda, "Might I ask you a question Glenda?"

Assuming you do not say no

"Would you tell me how you came into the faith Magrim?"

After a momentary pause, Glenda says, "Everyone dies eventually."

She lets that sink in for a few more seconds, then continues, "This realization gives life meaning. How do we deal with other people? For what do we strive? In our limited time, what do we decide is important?"

"I had to come to terms with this while I was providing care for my great-granduncle, who was an elderly dwarf who'd seen his share of war and hardship. Old age and old wounds had caught up with him and he needed help just to go about his day-to-day business. I spent many a day helping him prepare his meals or take care of chores around the house. As twilight set in he was tired and he was ready to let go, but he was still frightened - a hard admission for any dwarf to make! - and I realized that we all live with that fear of death. But nobody lives forever; we have to make our peace with it. I helped him up until he passed, and I assisted in his funeral, and I went on and took that experience to help other dwarves who were struggling with their mortality due to wounds or illness or age. I realized that since we all face death, we need compassion to help us deal with it - both for the dying and for the living."


Male Dwarf Paladin of Torag 2 | HP 23/23 | AC: 21, T: 11, FF: 20 | Fort: +8, Ref: +4, Will: +6 | BAB: +2, CMB: +5, CMD: 16, M.Attack +6 [1d12+4]| Init: +1 | Perception: +2 | Smite Evil 1/1, Lay on Hands 4/4

Snorri listens to Dasur's tale intently, trying to wedge the pros and cons of messing with the Jungle inhabitants.
"Those Skis-raal were likely working with Dandiel, though. Perhaps, with Vothys being beaten in battle, they could be led to switch alliance. But I'd rather jump into a dragon maw than trust a duergar; dark elves are rational at the core-" I hope, Erebos "-but dark dwarves have nothing but grudges and hatred in their minds."
Knowledge(local): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 Assuming that's enough to know about their light sensitivity and superior darkvision- "Should we face them, they can see in the dark better than we can, but they are weak to bright light. Any magic light could be a blessing."

At Glenda's tale, he falls silent, assailed by memories. A dwarf woman, pale and consumed, on her deathbed far, far before her time, entrusting him with the very same axe that now hangs from his belt. Mother, I wish you were leading this expedition. I wish you had not given up hope. You could have led our people far better than me, given the chance.
"You remind me of a human poem, singing how tombs are built for the comfort of the living rather than the dead."
"Under cypressus' shade or in the vases
that tears comfort, is Death perhaps less harsh?
What balm shall be for my lost days a stone
to mark my bones from countless ones that Death
lays out through land and sea? Yes, even Hope,
the last goddess, from graves shall run away,
as all consumes Time, moving though still.
But doesn't one still live when underground,
if they can bring the memories and thought
to friends and comrades' hearts? It is a wonder
this hea'enly resonance of love and grief,
when Mother Earth, who nurtured the dear
now welcomes back the ashes to her chest,
so that we live with our departed friend
and they will live with us forevermore."

Free translation of some lines from Foscolo's Dei Sepolcri.


NG female Dwarf lvl 1 Spiritualist Init +1; HP 11/20 : AC 13,T 11, FF 12 (+2 dodge vs aberations) : Fort+5, Ref+1, Will +6 (add +2 vs compulson & charm / add +4 if phantom is in head vs all mind affecting effects) darkvision 60ft, Perc +8/+10 stonecunning : CMB +3 (+2 bonus to grapple aberrations); CMD 14 (+4 bonus on bullrush and trip on solid ground

But I live forever. You were alone in a tomb. Silently listening to the priestess talk, "That is very noble of you. Many take offense to death and grow bitter when they have been around it to much."

Turning to listen to Snorri, "I think it is for both really. Tombs are meant to honor the dead. Though we do it out of need to make ourselves feel better about the loss just suffered."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

"Svirfneblin do not fear death. We have no god who oversees it, no servant of Pharasma to shepherd us. Our bodies return to feed the community, our souls go on to the Boneyard without worry. Pain, now pain we fear. We need no tombs to honor our dead. I suppose we are living tombs. Tombs are too stationary, and gnomes like to move." says Iverna.

"Now, let's talk about this road. We are going to come to the end of the line here in a moment, and how are going to get the wagon over the cliff?"

At that moment, you notice a faint hint of color in your colorless darkvision. As you continue on, the color grows brighter, and finally you come to the end of the tunnel. The tunnel ends on a small shelf that sits 40 feet above an immense cavern that stretches as far as you can see. Strangely, even though there is no light here, you can see better than usual, even seeing in color. Some strange magic must be at work. Darkvision distance is doubled, and in color, within the strange radiation that permeates this cavern. Perhaps even more strangely, you feel a faint breeze. Stretching out in front of you are an infinity of fungi, everything from tiny buttons to massive redwood like shapes.

The cliff down is rough, and shows signs of many passages. Places where ropes have been attached, pitons driven. The rock looks quite safe and climbable. (DC 10)

Iverna shows a rare moment of levity, taking on a deep voice (for her) and sweeping her arm across the vista. "I give you...The Fungal Jungle...What a stupid gnomish name is that!"


N Male Dwarf Wizard 2 | HP: 14/14| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 10 Ff) | CMB: +1, CMD: 14 | F: +1, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft |Active conditions:

Oh yeah, because it took us 2 weeks to make it this far, Dasur can retry to put the the scrolls he purchased in his spellbook. He gets 1 try a week, DC 16 spellcraft check.

During Travel

Week 1:

spellcraft: Monkey fish: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

spellcraft: Air Bubble: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

spellcraft: Ant Haul: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

spellcraft: Stone Fist, magic specialty: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 10 + 2 = 32

As expected, air magic is very difficult for Dasur!

Week 2:

spellcraft:Air Bubble: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

Hooray! All spells successfully incorporated into his spellbook.

-------------------------------------

The Ledge

Appraoching the edge of the fungal Jungle, Dasur marvels at the strange effect on his darkvision. "Incredible. How does such brightness exist? I suspect something is interacting with the form of light that gives our darkvision its sight. I wonder... is this color the same as it would be under daylight from above? A simple application of Dancing Lights should answer that question, but I will save that for later."

Under Snorri's leadership a plan is formed to move the wagon to the bottom of the cliff. Dasur sits cross-legged and studies his spellbook while the others prepare the wagon.

Dasur Prepares Enlarge Person, Feather Fall, and Ant Haul.

At the appointed time, the wizard lays hands on Snorri. "The chaos of Air is difficult for me to grasp, but I have developed repeatable ways to briefly counteract its ability to cause solid matter to rapidly accelerate downwards. This is accomplished by creating a temporary barrier to insulate the spell recipient from Air's acceleratory machinations, allowing them to land safely from heights up to 120 feet. I believe I can improve the distance, given time, but I confess this is all confusing to me. I merely stumbled on the accerlation insulation properties of this elemental barrier by accident, after all. I have no idea why it works!"

His long-winded explanation ends with words of power- the Scion of Dammerhall grows to twice his size and then is then imbued with great carrying power.

Dasur casts Enlarge Person (2 min duration, snorri becomes Large) and Ant Haul (2 hrs, Triples Carrying Capacity)

Dasur walks to the edge of the cliff while Snorri picks up the wagon. "An interesting quirk with this spell is that the person or object must already be falling for it to be succesfully activated. You see, the spell ends as soon as you come in contact with the ground. I have some theories on why, mostly due to the simple opposition of Air and Earth, but that is for another time. Simply put, my Lord, you must jump off the cliff, and I cast the spell when your feet leave the ground. Thankfully, the spell trigger is a single syllable of Draconic, so there should be no danger to you."

The wizard breaks a rare smile. "This is quite exciting, I have never tried this spell on so much mass!" Snorri realizes the smile isn't meant to be comforting- Dasur is genuinely excited to see the outcome of his modified Feather Fall spell.

Dasur's Feather Fall is CL 2, and can thus effect one Large creature/object or two medium creatures/objects over a distance of 120 feet.

Assuming Snorri doesn't get eaten by a monster at the bottom, Dasur can cast Feather fall on the two oxen as well, later (though someone might need to do Handle Animal checks on them to get them to go over the cliff so Dasur can cast Feather Fall on them, and again so they don't freak out at the bottom and run off into the Jungle... Maybe someone rides them?


Male Dwarf Paladin of Torag 2 | HP 23/23 | AC: 21, T: 11, FF: 20 | Fort: +8, Ref: +4, Will: +6 | BAB: +2, CMB: +5, CMD: 16, M.Attack +6 [1d12+4]| Init: +1 | Perception: +2 | Smite Evil 1/1, Lay on Hands 4/4

Snorri gapes at the fungine marvel spreading in front of him for a moment, a sight his eyes had never known. "I don't dislike the name. It's quite musical, one could make a ballad from it. A bit silly for how it sounds, perhaps."
----------------------------
I know it was my idea, but still for having never tried it... No, I have to trust him. Spells like these are his bread.
The wagon, uncoupled from the oxens, seems surprisingly light to Snorri, large as a troll, as he picks it from the ground. Light as it may be, it's still wide, and the spell didn't change the center of mass, so the first steps are staggering and uncertain as he tries to keep the balance. "Alright, Dasur, on the count of three! One, two, three!"

And in blind faith, the overlarge dwarf jumps off the edge of the cliff, holding the cart.

16+2=18 Str for a maximum load of 300 lbs, times 2 for Large size, times 3 for Ant Haul, total of 1800 lbs.


For all their bluster, sometimes the act exactly like duergar. thinks Iverna before making her way carefully down the cliff after Snorri.

Climbing down with a rope (rappelling) is DC 5, and you can take 10. I don't think anyone can fail that.

Erebos simply walks off of the cliff and then floats to the floor. Where to from here? You want to have a look around, head north to the Xan? Scout inward. The Xan live in a cavern that protrudes from this chamber a few days north of here, about half way to the Northern entrance used by Vothys."


N Male Dwarf Wizard 2 | HP: 14/14| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 10 Ff) | CMB: +1, CMD: 14 | F: +1, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft |Active conditions:

Not really wanting his feet to leave the ground, Dasur decides to climb down with a rope instead of floating down like Erebos. Floating makes him very, very uncomfortable.

Dasur nods to the Dark Elf as he approaches the group. "Yes. The Xan may have the knowledge we seek, and are the most neutral party in the Jungle. What languages do these fungi speak? I can prepare some magical interpretation if they do not converse in one of our known speeches."


You camp at the base of the cliff, resting before continuing into the Jungle cavern. The going is slow. While you can follow the track of the drow army north along the rock wall of the cavern, they were travelling on feet. Your wagon and oxen, so well suited to the surface and even the "roads" you have travelled here, have a hard time in this wild realm. The wheels sink into loamy soil, catch on spongy fungi.

The hexes on the map are 8 miles across, and you are able to travel only 4 miles a day, taking two days to cross each hex.


Female Dwarf Cleric of Magrim 2 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | Fort +4 Ref +1 Will +5 | Initiative +1 | Perception +5 | Channel Energy 3/4 | Blast Rune 6/6 | Gentle Rest 6/6 | Bless

"Good thing I like mushroom soup."


Male Dwarf Paladin of Torag 2 | HP 23/23 | AC: 21, T: 11, FF: 20 | Fort: +8, Ref: +4, Will: +6 | BAB: +2, CMB: +5, CMD: 16, M.Attack +6 [1d12+4]| Init: +1 | Perception: +2 | Smite Evil 1/1, Lay on Hands 4/4

Dasur's spell works as promised, and Snorri sighs in relief as he touches the ground again. Dwarves aren't made for flying.
"Aye, let's look for the sentient mushrooms. Perhaps they could use some help from people with hands, instead of... tentacles or whatever they have."
---------
During the travel, more than once Snorri has to push the wagon out of a pool of mud or a sticky fungal growth, and the idea of ditching it starts moving through his mind. But few things are as stubborn as a dwarf, and again and again the wheels are moved and the journey continues.


N Male Dwarf Wizard 2 | HP: 14/14| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 10 Ff) | CMB: +1, CMD: 14 | F: +1, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft |Active conditions:

Dasur continues to ride on the wagon, finding this fungi forest to be much better for writing and studying- much fewer bumps than the road. Still, something about having a layer of mycelia between himself and the ground makes him uneasy.


And once again, the wagon sinks into the muck. This time, however, the situation is more dire. As you work to extract the beasts and the wagon from the muck, something massive and white drops from above onto one of the oxen,

White Hunter attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
White Hunter damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (3, 5) + 4 = 12

The monster's beak pierces the neck of the ox, drawing blood but not killing the beast.

Only one opponent, so I don't feel the need for initiative. The blind albino pteranodon grips your pack animal with it's talons while stabbing it with its beak. If that isn't surprising and scary enough, I don't know what is. I didn't have enough movement to get away, so for the moment it has to stay here. Finding good maps for a forest of fungus is tough, so we are recycling the Fasturvalt map linked above. The big gray boxes represent the edge of the cavern, which you are following. The puddle represents the muck, which is difficult terrain. The brown box is the wagon.


N Male Dwarf Wizard 2 | HP: 14/14| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 10 Ff) | CMB: +1, CMD: 14 | F: +1, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft |Active conditions:

Dasur was busily working on formulae in the back of the wagon, deep in thought. The sudden thwep and bellowing of the ox was enough to snap the wizard out of his contemplation.

He looks over, eyebrows raising in surprise at the strange flying beast. The Air betrays us once again, ushering in our foes!

Dasur carefully corks his inkwell and looks over the side of the wagon, shouting to the others trying to get the wagon unstuck. "The Air seeks to impede our journey with its flying minions!"

Drawing iron powder from his spell pouch, the wizard sprinkles it into the mud and begins an incantation. "ພະລັງງານໃນລະດັບຄວາມສູງ, ພະລັງງານຢູ່ໃນຫຼາຍ. ການຂະຫຍາຍຕົວແບບຟອມຂອງທ່ານແລະຮູ້ວ່າພະລັງງານນີ້" He chants, the mud drawing the iron powder in, churning and transporting it to Snorri. The ground below Dammerhall's scion rumbles and opens up in a puff, showering him with glowing iron particles (and probably some fungal spores). Fungi and dwarfs start to appear smaller and smaller around him...

Full-round Action: Cast Enlarge Person on Snorri. He's just in range at 25'. It will take effect at the beginning of next round.

Knowledge:dungeoneering: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20 Anything on this beastie?


Male Dwarf Paladin of Torag 2 | HP 23/23 | AC: 21, T: 11, FF: 20 | Fort: +8, Ref: +4, Will: +6 | BAB: +2, CMB: +5, CMD: 16, M.Attack +6 [1d12+4]| Init: +1 | Perception: +2 | Smite Evil 1/1, Lay on Hands 4/4

Taken aback by the appearance of the monster, Snorri stumbles through the puddle, smearing mud all over his armor and clothes. As Dasur's magic starts to take effect, he rises, grabbing the axe with both hands, and charges at the monster in an overhead swing.

Not an actual charge, Power Attack: 1d20 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (9) + 6 - 1 = 14
Damage: 1d12 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 3 = 19

I'm acting on the retcon that we had the full plate adjusted in Fasturvalt using funds from the treasury. Otherwise, my AC would be 17/11/16.


Female Dwarf Cleric of Magrim 2 | HP 17/17 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | Fort +4 Ref +1 Will +5 | Initiative +1 | Perception +5 | Channel Energy 3/4 | Blast Rune 6/6 | Gentle Rest 6/6 | Bless

Glenda is mildly startled but doesn't let that stop her from calling out to Magrim to lay a blessing upon the party so that their quest may continue.

Bless up for the usual +1 to attacks and saves vs. fear.


Dasur, this appears to be some sort of cave adapted pteranodon. You don't have much experience with terror lizards of various types, but you are aware that there are underground vaults where these animals live. This one seems to exhibit traits common to cave animals: albinism, lack of eyes. It doesn't appear to be any sort of aberrant or magical creature.
Just a big weird animal.

The creature releases its grip on the ox, leaving a deep penetrating wound in the creature's neck that continues to spurt arterial blood.

Snorri can take an attack of opportunity if he wishes.


Male Dwarf Paladin of Torag 2 | HP 23/23 | AC: 21, T: 11, FF: 20 | Fort: +8, Ref: +4, Will: +6 | BAB: +2, CMB: +5, CMD: 16, M.Attack +6 [1d12+4]| Init: +1 | Perception: +2 | Smite Evil 1/1, Lay on Hands 4/4

Attack, Bless, Power Attack, Enlarged, Strentgth Boost: 1d20 + 7 + 1 - 1 - 1 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 7 + 1 - 1 - 1 + 1 = 20
damage: 3d6 + 4 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (6, 2, 2) + 4 + 3 + 1 = 18

Growing to the size of a troll, Snorri rotates the weapon again as the beast moves away, hacking at the body of the flying reptile. "Get. Off. Our. WAGON!"


N Male Dwarf Wizard 2 | HP: 14/14| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 10 Ff) | CMB: +1, CMD: 14 | F: +1, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft |Active conditions:

If that mighty blow by our scion doesn't fell it, Dasur will lend aid!

Dasur examines the creature with his enhanced darkvision, noting a lack of color. "A pteranodon, but without eyes or hue! A strange beast, but only a beast."

Lifting a hand, he points at the creature and utters a single syllable that sounds like sizzling bacon. A clear glob of viscous liquid coalesces at his fingertip, his magic pulling and concentrating sulfurous compounds and water from the air. On reaching the size of an apple the glob accelerates forward, hurtling towards the beast.

Dasur casts the Acid Splash cantrip on the pteranodon.

ranged touch attack, bless: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 4 + 1 = 22

acid splash damage: 1d3 ⇒ 1 Behold the might of wizards! TREMBLE IN FEAR


Troll-sized Snorri swats the pale hunter out of the sky. It falls as Dasur lobs a glob of acid at it. The ox continues to bleed tremble.

Looking about, you find Erebos taking cover under a mushroom cap, while
Iverna sweeps the "sky" with her huge eyes, "Take care, the scent of blood and the bleating of the surface aurochs may draw more of them."


N Male Dwarf Wizard 2 | HP: 14/14| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 10 Ff) | CMB: +1, CMD: 14 | F: +1, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft |Active conditions:

Our ox could use some healing please, Glenda.

Dasur watches the pale hunter thrash on the ground, one of its wings nearly shorn off. "It will be a pleasant change to have some fresh meat at least. I do not mind sitting with it if you were to put the beast in the back of the wagon." He comments, settling back down in the wagon and opening his spellbook to study.

Dasur re-prepares Enlarge Person

Hopefully super Snorri can get the wagon unstuck quickly!


Male Dwarf Paladin of Torag 2 | HP 23/23 | AC: 21, T: 11, FF: 20 | Fort: +8, Ref: +4, Will: +6 | BAB: +2, CMB: +5, CMD: 16, M.Attack +6 [1d12+4]| Init: +1 | Perception: +2 | Smite Evil 1/1, Lay on Hands 4/4

Snorri jerks his axe free from the flying beast's carcass. "Glenda, could you staunch the ox's bleeding? Dasur, can we eat this thing? Adding meat to the mushrooms would be nice."

651 to 700 of 709 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Sons of Dammerhall: Dark Frontiers All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.