Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Society


Starfinder


Starfinder Society

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Game Master Fanguar

Horn lower level
Horn upper levels
Xanos' Annotated Map


1 to 50 of 1,902 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

In the kingdom of Talingarde, many crimes may send you to Branderscar Prison, but the sentence has but one meaning. You are wicked and irredeemable. Each of you received the same greeting when you arrived. You were held down by rough hands and branded upon the arm with a runic F.The mark signifies ‘forsaken’ and the painful scar is indelible proof that each of you has betrayed the great and eternal love of Mitra and his chosen mortal vassals.

Condemned, the forsaken face at best a life of shackles and servitude in the nearby salt mines. Others might await the “gentle” ministrations of the inquisitors so that co-conspirators may be revealed and confessions extracted. Not you. You will be spared this ordeal. You have come to Branderscar to face the final judgment. In three days, the executioner arrives and the axe falls. With steel, your crimes will be answered.

You have all been chained together in the same communal cell dressed in nothing but filthy, tattered rags. Manhandled and mistreated, any finery you once possessed is either ruined or long lost. No special treatment has been given any prisoner – male or female, commoner or noble – all of the forsaken are bound and imprisoned together. Your feet are secured by iron cuffs tethered by one long chain. Your arms are secured to the wall above by manacles. A guard is posted right outside the cell day and night. Little thought is given to long term accommodations. At Branderscar, justice comes swift and sure.

Escape seems hopeless. You have all been well searched and every attempt to conceal anything on your person has failed. And if you could somehow slip your bonds and fly out of this prison, where would you go? Who from your former life would want anything to do with the forsaken? Despised, alone and shackled – all that you can do now is await your doom.

For each of you, your old life is over. For each of you, hope is a fading memory. For each of you, justice will be fairly meted. And who can blame fair Talingarde after what each of you has done against her? Here the Red Feather Gang breathes its last breath.


Male Human Cleric 1 l HP: 12/12 l AC: 9 l FF: 9 l Touch: 9 l CMD: 10 l Init:-1 l Fort: +5 l Ref:-1 l Will:+5 l Perception:+3 l

Zurn Thorn gives a glare to any passerby. Zurn Thorn thinks to himself, "Fools! To think that progress can just be made by clean hands. My hands are not clean, but progress has been made. I should be congratulated for my service, but instead I am in chains."

Zurn Thorn looks for a moment at the scars on his arm and feels them. He lets a deep breath out and relaxes at the slight pain sensations he feels.

Zurn Thorn definitely shows signs of age. His once brown hair has turned white. He has a pointed nose and white beard. Even a few wrinkles are on his face. His body is full of scars, showing his persistence in making breakthroughs in medical knowledge. He is not frail though, he has conditioned himself to be quite tough. Standing at 6 feet tall, he sits back down against the wall.

He stays observent.


Male Human
Stats:
2 Investigator | HP 15 | AC 18 | T 14 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | Fort +0 (+2 v. poisons) | Ref +6 | Will +3 | Init +3 | Perc +5 (+6 for traps) | Inspiration 3rd/5
Skills:
(24 rank):Craft(Alc.):+10, Knowledge(Loc, Nat, Acn, Nob, Rel):+8, Splcrft:+9, Lin:+8, Sth:+10, Inti:+9, Per:+5, Blff:+6, Acro:+8, Dis dev:+8, Slght: +9, Dip:+6, Dis:+6.

Chained next to Zurn Thorn is Iacobus, a seemingly tall, lanky man, though next to Zurn's 6 feet, it's obvious his height is more an illusion than the truth. His brown hair looks as though it had been dragged trough the mud and allowed to dry and it is clear he has not seen a razor for a week or so. Underneath all of the dirt and grime, hides a face that outside of his green eyes and near permanent scowl is completely nondescript.

The few scraps of clothing he still has do little to cover the bruises over his arms and neck that suggest multiple failed attempts to escape from captors and, from the blood trickling down his wrists, one could tell he has been unsuccessfully trying to escape his manacles for the past hour or so.

Iacobus gives his shackles one last shake, wincing over the pain in his wrists and from the brand before lapsing into quiet caginess. After a few minutes he asks, in a whisper, "Does anyone have a piece of metal or something to pick these locks with?" and then continues in a more indignant tone "If I am to die I would like to at least get the mud out of my hair."


Female Skinwalker Alchemist 5, hp 43/43, AC 20|T 14|FF 16, F +6|R +8|W +1, Init +4, Perception +10 low-light vision
Skills:
Acrobatics +15, Craft (alchemy) +10, Disable Device +12, Knowledge (nature) +10, Perception +10, Spellcraft +10

Third in line, clad in rags yet still exuding the poise and properness you know her for, kneels Lucetta. Fingers interlaced and resting on her thighs she is the very image of serenity, though the omnipresent shadows in her eyes are dancing darkly.

She replies to the Iacobus' question in a barely audible voice

Alas, the authorities in this place appear to have little respect for a lady's hairstyle and insisted on removing my pins despite fervent disagreement from me

She offers a slight smile, shaking her black tresses in demonstration of her words. One hand subconsciously moves to trace the runic F newly-burned in to her left forearm, and her mouth tightens in suppressed anger.

I will of course also continue to explore other options for getting us out of here, I don't suppose any of your manacles are rusted with weak points? she half jokes, addressing all three of the other remaining members of the Red Feather Gang.

Remaining quiet she continues

And before you ask I cannot summon illusions, move objects or cast acid whilst I am restrained thus she raises both hands, indicating her manacles.

The best I can do at present is create a patch of darkness, which I'm sure you'll agree whilst impressive, just leaves us in the dark, locked in our chains. I fear defeating them is the first step to obtaining our freedom. And thus, back to the question, does anyone have a sliver of metal!?


Moving along, since I need to split the party for a second here

The loud clomping of many feet shatters the silence and, with a rattle of keys, the door to your cell opens with a squeal. A group of six guards, heavily armed and ready for trouble, come into the cell led by a fat well-dressed sergeant of the watch. You can't help but recognize Sergeant Tomas Blackerly. This was the man who held the brand that marked each of you and laughed as their skin burned. Right now though, the sergeant seems a little dazed.

Scanning your dirty faces, he points a pudgy finger at Iocabus. "That's him That's the bastard. Get ‘em unshackled. If any of you makes trouble, you won't live long enough to meet the headsman's block!"

One of the guards unshackles Iocabus from the wall and from the rest of you. "Today’s your lucky day, scum. You’ve got a visitor. How you ever warranted such a fine lady is beyond me. Seems she wants to say good-bye. Now step lively. We wouldn’t want to keep her waiting.”

And with that Iocabus is roughly shoved from the room. With guards gone, the door is shut and locked once more.

Just FYI, I don't mind if you read spoiled info, even if you shouldn't, as long as you remember to keep player knowledge and character knowledge separate.

Iocabus:

You are brought down a hallway to a small meeting room and shoved into a chair. There waiting for you is a hauntingly beautiful woman in an elegant black dress and soft silken veil. She looks as if she is headed to a funeral. Her hair is so platinum as to almost be white and her eyes are a vibrant almost unearthly green. She clearly has been weeping.

“Oh, dearest,” proclaims the unfamiliar woman. “I’m so relieved you’re alive!” She quickly turns to Tomas. “Could we please have a moment alone, good sir? For pity’s sake?”

Tomas goes blank for a bit and then quickly agrees. “Of course, my lady. For you,’ tis no problem.”

He quickly leaves, taking the guards with him and shutting the door behind them. Sense Motive DC15: obviously, this woman has some sort of power over the Sargent.

As soon as the guards leave, the woman's demeanour immediately changes. She is immediately all business.

“Have you forgotten me, dearest?” the unexpected visitor says with a smirk, dropping her pretence of grief. [/b] “Call me Tiadora. We possess a mutual friend who would like to meet you and your fellow cellmates. Unfortunately, our friend is unwilling to visit you in your current, rather shabby accommodations so it seems you must escape. Oh, don’t be so dour. Just because it’s never been done before is no reason you can’t be the first."[/b]

“If you manage that, cross the moors on the outskirts of town. On the old Moor Road you’ll see a manor house with a single lantern burning in the second story. There our mutual friend waits. That is all I know. He did want me to give you this.”

She takes off her silken veil and wipes away a few fake tears with it.

“Something to remember me by, dearest.”


HP 32, AC 22, T 12, F 20, CMD 20, Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +5, Init +3, Perc +5

With the guards gone Arthur tests his restraints, but alas the metal holds. "Well, no luck here," Arthur remarks. "Alas I have no metal for Iacobus, if he returns. Where do you think they are taking him?"


Male Human Cleric 1 l HP: 12/12 l AC: 9 l FF: 9 l Touch: 9 l CMD: 10 l Init:-1 l Fort: +5 l Ref:-1 l Will:+5 l Perception:+3 l
Lucetta wrote:
The best I can do at present is create a patch of darkness, which I'm sure you'll agree whilst impressive, just leaves us in the dark, locked in our chains. I fear defeating them is the first step to obtaining our freedom. And thus, back to the question, does anyone have a sliver of metal!?

He speaks softly, "Patience, my dear. Time will tell." He has a slight grin on his face.

His grin soon disappears as Iocabus is taken away. He gives the guards a cold stare, making sure to give them no satisfaction. Zurn was fine with being marked, but to be marked as a criminal was the true cruelty.

He looks over to Arthur as he speaks and responds in almost a whisper, "To a lady friend or a trap."


Male Human
Stats:
2 Investigator | HP 15 | AC 18 | T 14 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | Fort +0 (+2 v. poisons) | Ref +6 | Will +3 | Init +3 | Perc +5 (+6 for traps) | Inspiration 3rd/5
Skills:
(24 rank):Craft(Alc.):+10, Knowledge(Loc, Nat, Acn, Nob, Rel):+8, Splcrft:+9, Lin:+8, Sth:+10, Inti:+9, Per:+5, Blff:+6, Acro:+8, Dis dev:+8, Slght: +9, Dip:+6, Dis:+6.

With the coming of the guards, Iacobus' face darkens to an even more deeply entrenched scowl. He slowly levels a cold glare at each one of the guards, as if trying to see each one's weaknesses and make him painfully aware of it.

When released from his chains and manacles he takes a moment to flex his torn and bloody wrists before trying to make a break for it. The six guards, quite readily, retain him, shoving him from the cell. During the walk down the corridors, Iacobus tries his best to remember the layout and tries to see of the guards have any easily "misplaced" items.
If a perception check is needed let me know.

GM, but I don't care who reads it:

After being forced into the chair and suitably restrained, Iacobus watches the interaction of the guards and the beautiful, if completely foreign, woman in silence.
Sense motive: 1d20 ⇒ 15...He barely notices the way Blackerly's face momentarily loses its tension before sliding back into it's previous look. With this insight, he gives the woman a sharper, quizzical stare and gives little more than a nod to her personality shift. He listens in quiet to her small soliloquy, before taking her veil and replying, "You can assure our "friend' we will gladly meet him there, especially as he has gone through so much trouble to get you in here..... and you have gone through so much trouble to keep him anonymous." Iacobus takes a long glance at the veil to try and see why she would expect him and his compatriots to escape and only give them it. perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

I am, possibly erroneously, assuming this is the last of the interaction, feel free to correct me.

As the guards come back into the room, Iacobus puts on a melancholic visage... bluff: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15... and belabors "Goodbye, my love," before his throat seemingly closes up. While leaving the room, he looks as though he is trying to keep a stiff upper lip and is failing. Do feel free to dictate how convincing this is.

But before he is locked up in his cell he tries to palm and hide int eh veil any useful objects the guards might have been carrying. Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20


Iacobus:

It appears to be a fine silk veil of gossamer cloth. Closer inspection reveals small cloth patches of various shapes.

Immediately when the guards enter, her demeanour once more changes and she is again a perfect picture of grief. “No, I can’t bear to leave you!” She gives the PC a kiss on the cheek. The kiss is ice-cold and feels somehow alien and inhuman.

She looks deep in Tomas’ eyes and says, “Thank you for letting me say good-bye. There’s no need to search my dearest. You are such a good friend for letting me see my dearest one more time.”

“Such a good friend,” Tomas repeats his voice almost mechanical. Then the watch sergeant seems to snap out of it and bows politely. “A pleasure, madam,” She leaves unveiled. Her eyes meet the PCs one last time and she briefly gives them a wicked smile.

“Three days,” telepathically echoes in the PC’s mind. “Don’t disappoint me, dearest”.

After a surprisingly short period of time, Iacobus is brought back into the communal cell and re-shackled. With much clatter and a few coarse jokes, the guards once again leave you in darkness.

Just to be clear, the manacles aren't restricting you from spellcasting and there is no reason for the guards to know that you can even spellcast.


HP 32, AC 22, T 12, F 20, CMD 20, Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +5, Init +3, Perc +5

Arthur remain quiet as the guards brings Iacobus back. After they have left the 4 to their own devices, turn to Iacobus and whispers: "What happened? Where did they take you?"


Male Human
Stats:
2 Investigator | HP 15 | AC 18 | T 14 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | Fort +0 (+2 v. poisons) | Ref +6 | Will +3 | Init +3 | Perc +5 (+6 for traps) | Inspiration 3rd/5
Skills:
(24 rank):Craft(Alc.):+10, Knowledge(Loc, Nat, Acn, Nob, Rel):+8, Splcrft:+9, Lin:+8, Sth:+10, Inti:+9, Per:+5, Blff:+6, Acro:+8, Dis dev:+8, Slght: +9, Dip:+6, Dis:+6.

Iacobus attempts his usual escapes but, still trying to keep a facade of grief, has less vigor than usual. After the guards leave he whispers back, " I, uh, met with someone" with the mention of her, Iacobus gives an involuntary shudder, but continues, "who seems interested in helping us escape. The Red Feather Gang may not be completely done." He then details his trip stressing the "mutual friend" and eeriness of his "loved," before showing everyone the veil. "Any idea what this could be?"
I take it there weren't any items easily stolen off the guards?


Noting useful that wouldn't immediately be missed.

Passing the veil around, you see that it has several patches in a number of recognizable shapes. These include a pair of swords, a lantern, a coil of rope, a sack, a pile of coins, a window, a flask, thieve's tools and right in the centre, a hideous skull and chains motif that Zurn immediately recognizes as a symbol of his patron.

The viel detects strongly of magic.

Spellcraft DC24:

Veil of Useful Items: This appears to be a fine silk veil of gossamer cloth. Only as it is held and closely inspected can you see small cloth patches of various shapes. One patch can be detached each round as a move action. Detaching a patch causes it to become an actual item.
This veil contains:
• 2 daggers
• Bullseye lantern (full, lit and shuttered)
• Hempen rope (50-foot coil)
• Sack full of needed spell components (worth less than a 1 gp) and common clothes in the PCs sizes
• Thieves Tools, Masterwork
• Window (2 ft. by 4 ft., up to 2 ft. deep)
• Potion of cure light wounds
• 100 gold pieces
• Unholy Symbol of Zon-Kuthon (silver)


Male Human
Stats:
2 Investigator | HP 15 | AC 18 | T 14 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | Fort +0 (+2 v. poisons) | Ref +6 | Will +3 | Init +3 | Perc +5 (+6 for traps) | Inspiration 3rd/5
Skills:
(24 rank):Craft(Alc.):+10, Knowledge(Loc, Nat, Acn, Nob, Rel):+8, Splcrft:+9, Lin:+8, Sth:+10, Inti:+9, Per:+5, Blff:+6, Acro:+8, Dis dev:+8, Slght: +9, Dip:+6, Dis:+6.

Spellcraft with free inspiration: 1d20 + 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (12) + (2) + 8 = 22 dang even with the extra d6 it's too low


Female Skinwalker Alchemist 5, hp 43/43, AC 20|T 14|FF 16, F +6|R +8|W +1, Init +4, Perception +10 low-light vision
Skills:
Acrobatics +15, Craft (alchemy) +10, Disable Device +12, Knowledge (nature) +10, Perception +10, Spellcraft +10

Thanks for the clarification on spellcasting GM, I presumed at least one hand needed to be free for the somantic components but happy to be in error on this occasion!

Once the veil is passed to her, Lucetta holds it hidden under her rags in case a guard patrol comes past, then casts detect magic and spends a couple of minutes examining it intensely.

Taking 20 on the Spellcraft check for a total of 26

Her eyebrows raise in surprise and she stares at Iacobus intently. She whispers

I'm not sure how you came to have this in your possession, but it may be our salvation indeed! Imagine it like a sack that someone has put a lot of useful items in to, we can reach in and pull them out whenever we like, but we can;t put them back. For that reason I suggest we formulate a plan using what we know of the prison's layout before we release any items, in case the guards come by and find us with a whole lot of contraband...

She quickly explains about each of the items in the veil so everyone knows what resources we have.

So there you go Iacobus, you've managed to find your own sliver of metal, in a set of thieve's tools...very resourceful! she grins wickedly.

So, how do we begin?


Male Human
Stats:
2 Investigator | HP 15 | AC 18 | T 14 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | Fort +0 (+2 v. poisons) | Ref +6 | Will +3 | Init +3 | Perc +5 (+6 for traps) | Inspiration 3rd/5
Skills:
(24 rank):Craft(Alc.):+10, Knowledge(Loc, Nat, Acn, Nob, Rel):+8, Splcrft:+9, Lin:+8, Sth:+10, Inti:+9, Per:+5, Blff:+6, Acro:+8, Dis dev:+8, Slght: +9, Dip:+6, Dis:+6.

Taking 20, of course. That would have been smart.
Iacobus' eyes widen in surprise as to just how much of a help the mysterious lady had been, before he grins at Lucetta and responds,
"Just taking the tools and maybe the unholy symbol would be a good idea. After that I'm not entirely certain."
How much of the prison would any of us remember?


You can't take 20 on spellcraft, or anything where there is repercussions for failure, but as you only needed an aid another for to allow for Iacobus to identify, we'll just handwave the legality of what just happened.

I have posted a map of the prison on Flickr, so hopefully everyone can see it. LINKY You are presently in 18a. Iacobus's meeting took place in rm 20, so he knows the layout of Rm17 as well. Everyone knows room 8, 16 and the general layout of the grounds.

Also to clarify, the window patch will create a window in any wall you put it on.


Female Skinwalker Alchemist 5, hp 43/43, AC 20|T 14|FF 16, F +6|R +8|W +1, Init +4, Perception +10 low-light vision
Skills:
Acrobatics +15, Craft (alchemy) +10, Disable Device +12, Knowledge (nature) +10, Perception +10, Spellcraft +10

Apologies, still learning the rule ropes >.< thanks for your patience :)

OK gentlemen, this is the order of things between us and freedom:
manacles, cell, cellblock, guard room, downstairs hallway, grounds, gatehouse, winding road, entrance gate.

She gazes down at the items concealed in the veil again, shadows dance across her eyes as she thinks deeply about the problem.

So as a general theme, we have melee weapons but no armor and nothing for range, so would suggest outright forcing our way out isn't going to happen. We're branded and our faces are known so we aren't going to bluff our way out either. A simple disguise at distance in the dark might work but there'll be no talking our way past guards face to face. That leaves us with exfiltration and stealth.

A smile dances across her lips but it's quickly replaced with a frown

whilst the idea of making a window in the north wall and climbing down with the rope is appealing, it would be immediately obvious to the guards no doubt patrolling the grounds, blast...

She waves her hand, speaking a word crackling with dark energy, prestidigitation and a simple charcoal-like drawing paints itself on a flagstone in between the four cellmates. As she continues speaking, a dotted line moves through each area.

Thieve's tools and your skilled manipulation get us out of the manacles, and unlock the cell door. We'll need to move quietly through the cellblock so any other prisoners don't raise the alarm. I then suggest rushing the guards in the guard room, concentrating first on any that try to raise the alarm. This is the crux, if the alarm is raised here it will be very difficult to succeed. From here we can make our way out the front door of the keep. Now, do we stop to try and scavenge more gear as we escape? We're likely to need food, and when they follow us with dogs it might pay to have vinegar or similar to sprinkle in our wake. I have no knowledge of such things, what would be best to do?


Male Human
Stats:
2 Investigator | HP 15 | AC 18 | T 14 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | Fort +0 (+2 v. poisons) | Ref +6 | Will +3 | Init +3 | Perc +5 (+6 for traps) | Inspiration 3rd/5
Skills:
(24 rank):Craft(Alc.):+10, Knowledge(Loc, Nat, Acn, Nob, Rel):+8, Splcrft:+9, Lin:+8, Sth:+10, Inti:+9, Per:+5, Blff:+6, Acro:+8, Dis dev:+8, Slght: +9, Dip:+6, Dis:+6.

Bristling at being so flippantly ordered about, Iacobus rejoins in a harsh whisper, " Well we may not have any armor this second but if we are going to deal with some of the guards, they do. Secondly releasing some of the other prisoners might not be a bad idea as they could readily be a distraction and smokescreen for our escape, especially if we can outfit them with gear we don't need from the guards."
He lapses into silence, thinking intently.
"While the silent escape is probably the best idea, we do need to ensure they cannot track us, if we cannot find and release their hounds or find vinegar, we may want to look into swimmming. As for disguises, using the guards outfits will be the most effective at least from a distance."
Watching Lucetta's drawing on the floor he traces a line as well.

"We might want to take a look at what is in here, Room 19, before we head on any further. As far as locks go, let me handle those, though some acid might not be a bad idea. Finally, we do have some time and we can move slowly, but three days is our time limit."
I'm not actually annoyed, but Iacobus is supposed to be leader-like and ambitious, even if he doesn't become the leader. Thus his annoyance :P.


HP 32, AC 22, T 12, F 20, CMD 20, Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +5, Init +3, Perc +5

"While I am not a noble guard of Talingarde, I do think they are more like us than they care to admit. At least they must sleep at night, so shouldn't we make our escape during one of the nights?" Arthur asks.


There are no windows in the cell block, so you can't be certain what time of day it is anymore, but you can make a guess. You've been here long enough to know that there are three shifts of at least 2 guards that watch over you. During their shifts, they patrol through the cell block several times at random intervals of no less than an hour. They always check the lock on room 19 when the do their patrol.

Each guard wears chainmail armour and carries a longsword and leather wrapped club at his side at all times. Iacobus can recall seeing longbows and large shields leaning against the wall in room 17, but you've yet to see a guard carry either during their walk through.


Female Skinwalker Alchemist 5, hp 43/43, AC 20|T 14|FF 16, F +6|R +8|W +1, Init +4, Perception +10 low-light vision
Skills:
Acrobatics +15, Craft (alchemy) +10, Disable Device +12, Knowledge (nature) +10, Perception +10, Spellcraft +10

Lucetta gazes at Iacobus with a half-smile on her face

Now, now Iacobus, I do not nominate myself leader of this plan, I merely attempt to outline the steps we need to take, the resources we have available, I certainly did not mean to demean you or your skills, if you have taken it that way then my apologies are yours.

She nods at him, hoping feathers are smoothed.

In any case you are correct in that we should acquire better arms and armor as we go. Also, from the patterns of the guard's visits it would pay for us to make our move around five minutes after they check in on us, gives them enough time to check the rest of the block and get back to their nice warm guard room

She looks at Iacobus

What do you think?


HP 32, AC 22, T 12, F 20, CMD 20, Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +5, Init +3, Perc +5

"Sounds right," Arthur adds.


Male Human
Stats:
2 Investigator | HP 15 | AC 18 | T 14 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | Fort +0 (+2 v. poisons) | Ref +6 | Will +3 | Init +3 | Perc +5 (+6 for traps) | Inspiration 3rd/5
Skills:
(24 rank):Craft(Alc.):+10, Knowledge(Loc, Nat, Acn, Nob, Rel):+8, Splcrft:+9, Lin:+8, Sth:+10, Inti:+9, Per:+5, Blff:+6, Acro:+8, Dis dev:+8, Slght: +9, Dip:+6, Dis:+6.

"This seems like it would be a sound plan, and if we want I just remembered the guard room has some bows in it, as well. So we may want to avoid rasing too much of a racket lest they decide to use them... adjoins a suitably mollified Iacobus. He then glances at the fourth, silent member of the group.

"And if Zurn doesn't have anything else to add, we should start getting ready. Maybe work on unlocking our manacles, but leaving them on?" he asks the group.


Male Human Cleric 1 l HP: 12/12 l AC: 9 l FF: 9 l Touch: 9 l CMD: 10 l Init:-1 l Fort: +5 l Ref:-1 l Will:+5 l Perception:+3 l

Zurn Thorn gives a slight nod and keeps silent as his companions have their conversation. "They seem to know us enough."

His eyes light up when he sees the holy symbol of his patron.

"A beautiful sight indeed."

Iacobus wrote:
"And if Zurn doesn't have anything else to add, we should start getting ready. Maybe work on unlocking our manacles, but leaving them on?"

"I am neither a man with light feet.. nor a man with words that carry substance. We could cure the prisoners here."

Zurn gives a smile. "Freeing them from their shackles could free their minds. But, no matter, I will follow. I feel like we have jumped into an audition already."


With tools at hand, Iacobus is able to unlock the manacles and chains that bind you. Rearranging them so as to seem still locked you pass the time in nervous anticipation, waiting for the next cell block walkthrough. Finally, after what seemed an eternity, the guard appears to perform his rounds. It seems that he spends an inordinately long time scrutinizing you, but perhaps it is just your nerves. Finally, he finishes and leaved back through the door and you hear it lock behind him. Quietly shaking free from you bonds, Iocabus turns his attention to lock on you cell door and in little time, it too is unlocked. Your escape has begun.

Phase 1 complete. Let me know what you want to do next.
Also, I forgot to mention that each guard carries a signal horn on his belt, so be prepared for reinforcements if they manage to use them.

@Iocabus: All locks are DC20, but you get a +2 due to them all being the same. You need to roll for unlocking the door to the guard's room, since there is a chance they will hear failed attempts.


Male Human
Stats:
2 Investigator | HP 15 | AC 18 | T 14 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | Fort +0 (+2 v. poisons) | Ref +6 | Will +3 | Init +3 | Perc +5 (+6 for traps) | Inspiration 3rd/5
Skills:
(24 rank):Craft(Alc.):+10, Knowledge(Loc, Nat, Acn, Nob, Rel):+8, Splcrft:+9, Lin:+8, Sth:+10, Inti:+9, Per:+5, Blff:+6, Acro:+8, Dis dev:+8, Slght: +9, Dip:+6, Dis:+6.

So that's a +11 with the masterwork tools as well?
The brown haired man quickly checks to make sure no one heard his escape attempts before turning to the others and whispering, Unless anyone is vehemently opposed, I would love to see what's in that room the guards keep checking.


HP 32, AC 22, T 12, F 20, CMD 20, Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +5, Init +3, Perc +5

When the guards have passed Arthur quietly lets the restrains fall and stands stretching. "Just what I needed," he whispers continuing: "Now a breath of fresh air wouldn't be so bad." Turning to Iacobus he replies: "Perhaps there are weapons or other tools we can use to escape, lets have a look."

I am away from stable internet until Tuesday and might not be able to post much.


Female Skinwalker Alchemist 5, hp 43/43, AC 20|T 14|FF 16, F +6|R +8|W +1, Init +4, Perception +10 low-light vision
Skills:
Acrobatics +15, Craft (alchemy) +10, Disable Device +12, Knowledge (nature) +10, Perception +10, Spellcraft +10

Lucetta rubs her wrists as the manacles come free

My thanks she states sincerely to Iacobus.

Standing and stretching for a moment, she works out the kinks in her back from sitting so long on the floor, then loosens up her hands, before finally nodding to herself and shifting her attention to the group again.

I think investigating that room could be advantageous, we may find something that can help us hopefully. Do you want the swords now?

she offers the holy symbol to Zurn as she speaks, expecting there to be no hesitation in his desire to have it in his hands.

It may pay to have a standard party order, Lucetta is happy to be anywhere but first!


Male Human
Stats:
2 Investigator | HP 15 | AC 18 | T 14 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | Fort +0 (+2 v. poisons) | Ref +6 | Will +3 | Init +3 | Perc +5 (+6 for traps) | Inspiration 3rd/5
Skills:
(24 rank):Craft(Alc.):+10, Knowledge(Loc, Nat, Acn, Nob, Rel):+8, Splcrft:+9, Lin:+8, Sth:+10, Inti:+9, Per:+5, Blff:+6, Acro:+8, Dis dev:+8, Slght: +9, Dip:+6, Dis:+6.

After ensuring everyone is getting prepared, Iacobus takes a second to gingerly pull the manacles from his tender wrists. He then gets to work on the cell door.

After unlocking their cage he gives everyone a qujck appraising look.

"I'll gladly take the lead but I'd prefer to have Arthur right behind me, in case I run into trouble. After that we could use any order, but it might be best for Zurn to have our back. I am fine with not having a weapon just thus second, but we may want to give one to Arthur."

Wuth another look around he slowly opens the door and moves to the previously mentioned room and... Disable Device: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27... quickly has the door unlocked. He then waits for the rest of his compatriots.


The sword patches turn into daggers

Rm 19

Cracking open the door, the smell hits you like a physical presence. THe reek is an unsettling combination of vomit, wet animal and worse. Peering inside, you see a large form hunched against the far wall. There is a clatter of heavy chains as the massive shaggy head lifts up. Its eyes glint yellow in the dim light streaming through the door.

"Come in little 'uns." It lifts a huge yellow clawed hand and beckons you closer. "Grumblejack wants to play." A wicked tusked grin spits its dirty face.

Know(nature) DC12: The creature is an ogre.


Male Human Cleric 1 l HP: 12/12 l AC: 9 l FF: 9 l Touch: 9 l CMD: 10 l Init:-1 l Fort: +5 l Ref:-1 l Will:+5 l Perception:+3 l

Zurn waits for his party to proceed and stays behind them.

Zurn looks at the creature curiously, "I am not sure if we want to come in, but we might let you out..."

He suspects some danger involved with this prisoner if they free him.

Sense Motive on Grumblejack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


Male Human
Stats:
2 Investigator | HP 15 | AC 18 | T 14 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | Fort +0 (+2 v. poisons) | Ref +6 | Will +3 | Init +3 | Perc +5 (+6 for traps) | Inspiration 3rd/5
Skills:
(24 rank):Craft(Alc.):+10, Knowledge(Loc, Nat, Acn, Nob, Rel):+8, Splcrft:+9, Lin:+8, Sth:+10, Inti:+9, Per:+5, Blff:+6, Acro:+8, Dis dev:+8, Slght: +9, Dip:+6, Dis:+6.

Iacobus reels a little from the stench before peering closely at the figure. Knowledge (nature) with free inspiration: 1d20 + 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (14) + (1) + 8 = 23
He then whislers to his comrades "It appears our friend Grum lejack here is an ogre, he would be a great ally but we don't want to face him if we have to..."


HP 32, AC 22, T 12, F 20, CMD 20, Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +5, Init +3, Perc +5

Weighing the dagger in his hand as he follows behind Iacobus, Arthur is somewhat surprised when the cell door is opened. "I think it is a really bad idea to walk in there," he adds to the others thoughts.


Female Skinwalker Alchemist 5, hp 43/43, AC 20|T 14|FF 16, F +6|R +8|W +1, Init +4, Perception +10 low-light vision
Skills:
Acrobatics +15, Craft (alchemy) +10, Disable Device +12, Knowledge (nature) +10, Perception +10, Spellcraft +10

Greetings Ogre, we've decided to leave as we don't like the food, so you can come with us if you're willing to crack heads and help us get away.

She smiles, then causes her hand to burst in to roaring blue flames, she stares at them as they lick across her fingers.

Of course it would be very clever of you to remember that we are now friends, and friends don't turn on each other, do they?

She stares at him a moment, unblinking, unafraid.

So tell me GrumbleJack, are you ready to listen to your new friends and 'play' with the guards that have been keeping you here?

Can I take 10 on Diplomacy? If so 20, otherwise:
diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15


Pretty sure diplomacy is always a roll. I assume that's prestidigitation?

The yellow eyes widen at the display of magic and then narrow shrewdly. With the rattle of heavy iron chains, Grumblejack rises to his feet, swaying unsteadily. His nostrils flare, as he inhales your scent. "Yer not guards."

His thick brow furrows, as he tries to figure out what's going on. In the end he just shakes his head and lifts his large shackled paws out to you. "Free Grumblejack and Grumblejack fight. Guards die."

You can now see that the large creature has been badly mistreated. A number of wounds crisscross his body and a few break open to ooze thick, dark blood.

Heal DC 12:
He is in rough shape and a number of the wounds are infected from not being properly treated. (HP:12/30)


Male Human
Stats:
2 Investigator | HP 15 | AC 18 | T 14 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | Fort +0 (+2 v. poisons) | Ref +6 | Will +3 | Init +3 | Perc +5 (+6 for traps) | Inspiration 3rd/5
Skills:
(24 rank):Craft(Alc.):+10, Knowledge(Loc, Nat, Acn, Nob, Rel):+8, Splcrft:+9, Lin:+8, Sth:+10, Inti:+9, Per:+5, Blff:+6, Acro:+8, Dis dev:+8, Slght: +9, Dip:+6, Dis:+6.

Feeling like GrumbleJack is unlikely to hurt him, Iacobus slowly enters the room shows the orge his theives' tools and proceeds to unlock him... Disable Device: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15.
looks like I might have to take ten on these. Sigh
Hope nobody minds the unilateral decision.


Female Skinwalker Alchemist 5, hp 43/43, AC 20|T 14|FF 16, F +6|R +8|W +1, Init +4, Perception +10 low-light vision
Skills:
Acrobatics +15, Craft (alchemy) +10, Disable Device +12, Knowledge (nature) +10, Perception +10, Spellcraft +10

Yup GM, prestidigitation... figure the flames (plus the charcoal painting on the floor earlier) fall in to the 'minor effect' category, not having any in game effects to rolls etc, just flavour really!

Not unilateral Iacobus, I was thinking the same, let loose the weapon of mass destruction! If all else fails he can act as a large distraction whilst we escape!

Lucetta watches carefully, catching the ogre's gaze and clenching her fist, causing the flames to flare then go out. She moves out of the cell and in to position to assault the guard room, waiting for Iacobus to work his magic with the lock there.

Leaning in to whisper to GrumbleJack, she states

We can't afford to leave anyone alive and able to call for help, I'm sure you understand me!

She smiles at him, and waits for the door to open.


Male Human
Stats:
2 Investigator | HP 15 | AC 18 | T 14 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | Fort +0 (+2 v. poisons) | Ref +6 | Will +3 | Init +3 | Perc +5 (+6 for traps) | Inspiration 3rd/5
Skills:
(24 rank):Craft(Alc.):+10, Knowledge(Loc, Nat, Acn, Nob, Rel):+8, Splcrft:+9, Lin:+8, Sth:+10, Inti:+9, Per:+5, Blff:+6, Acro:+8, Dis dev:+8, Slght: +9, Dip:+6, Dis:+6.

Iacobus gives GrumbleJack a once over, and then hands him the second dagger.

"You may be able to use this better than I can. I'll find my own weapon."

He then ensures that the rest of the party is ready to move forward, before... disable device and inspiration: 1d20 + 1d6 + 11 ⇒ (12) + (3) + 11 = 26... unlocking the door.
He then whispers, "Shall we?

Spoiler:
Combat stats:Hp 9/9; AC 14/14T/10FF; CMD 13
+0F/+5R/+2W
Buffs


HP 32, AC 22, T 12, F 20, CMD 20, Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +5, Init +3, Perc +5

"Now might be as good a time as ever. Do I simply open the door?" Arthur asks. His eyes have never left the Ogre, every time it moves a little to fast Arthur's muscle tenses and he prepares to close in.


I just want to give Zurn a chance to post, to see if he wanted to heal the ogre at all, and then I'll move us along.


Male Human Cleric 1 l HP: 12/12 l AC: 9 l FF: 9 l Touch: 9 l CMD: 10 l Init:-1 l Fort: +5 l Ref:-1 l Will:+5 l Perception:+3 l

Zurn walks over to Grumblejack to examine his wounds.

Heal: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Zurn speaks with a whisper, "Lord Zon Kuthon, I have found a most interesting specimen. Give me the power to remove his wounds.""

He feels a strange dark energy come from his holy symbol. He uses his other hand to grip Grumblejack's wounds tightly.

Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

"So he can have fresh new ones," Zurn thinks to himself.

Zurn lets go after a few seconds.


Grumblejack sighs and straightens, as Dr. Thorns magical administrations repair the damage that had been inflicted on him. "Me and youz gonna be pals." (hp:21/30)

With the door unlocked, you tense, preparing for your daring escape or violent death. Either way the end will be soon.

With a roar, Grumblejack shoves open the door and leads the rush into the guard room, catching the the two guards stationed in the room completely by surprise.

Initiative:

Zurn: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6
Arthur: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Lucetta: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Iacobus: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Grumblejack: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15
Baddies: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Combat Round 1 + surprise
22 Lucetta
15 Grumblejack
6 Iacobus
6 Zurn
5 Athur
4 Guards

Super lucky rolls for your guys. You can post your surprise action (MA or SA) and your round 1 actions. Order doesn't matter. I only care if you are before or after the enemies. You can look at the spoiler and RP you actions appropriately. You guys have the advantage.

Prison Guard CR 1/2 x2:

Male human warrior 2 LG Medium humanoid
Init +1; Senses Perception +2
DEFENSE
AC 17, touch 11, flat-footed 16 (+4 armor, +2 shield, +1 Dex)
hp 13/13. 13/13
Fort +4, Ref +0, Will -1
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft. Melee longsword +5 (1d8+2/19–20); club +4 (1d6+2; 1⁄2 non-lethal)


Male Human
Stats:
2 Investigator | HP 15 | AC 18 | T 14 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | Fort +0 (+2 v. poisons) | Ref +6 | Will +3 | Init +3 | Perc +5 (+6 for traps) | Inspiration 3rd/5
Skills:
(24 rank):Craft(Alc.):+10, Knowledge(Loc, Nat, Acn, Nob, Rel):+8, Splcrft:+9, Lin:+8, Sth:+10, Inti:+9, Per:+5, Blff:+6, Acro:+8, Dis dev:+8, Slght: +9, Dip:+6, Dis:+6.

Following up after the lumbering beast Iacobus rushes into the room and picks up any object that might be useful as a weapon. He then turns and shouts at one of the guards.

"You're outnumbered, man, and we have an Ogre. There is no way you will survive this."

With the end of this epitaph, he gives a low laugh and a dark smirk, slowly advancing on his target.

Taking a move action, then a move action to pick up an improvised weapon. Then taking a standard action to demoralize, with a five foot step to finish things off.
Intimidate: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19 and in case advantage works here too take two: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23 (Assuming a DC of 11 [+2 HD -1 Wis] the guard wbould be shaken for 2 [3 if advantage] rounds)

So my status is now:
Combat stats:Hp 9/9; AC (15)14/14T/10FF; CMD 13
+0F/+5R/+2W
Buffs: Improvised Defense


Female Skinwalker Alchemist 5, hp 43/43, AC 20|T 14|FF 16, F +6|R +8|W +1, Init +4, Perception +10 low-light vision
Skills:
Acrobatics +15, Craft (alchemy) +10, Disable Device +12, Knowledge (nature) +10, Perception +10, Spellcraft +10

The second the door is bashed in, Lucetta whispers two words of power and flicks her left hand towards the guard not immediately in GrumbleJack's line of charge, causing hissing liquid to fly through the air towards him. She then darts through the doorway and moves along one wall to get a better vantage point of the stairs, she then flicks her right hand at the same man, hoping her efforts are enough to weaken him enough for her friends to finish him off.

Hopefully they can take these men out with celerity and prevent their raising the alarm.

Surprise round: acid splash. Round 1: move then acid splash
acid splash 1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
acid damage: 1d3 ⇒ 3
acid splash 2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
acid damage: 1d3 ⇒ 1
Both hits v touch ac, total damage: 4

Status
Hp 5/5; AC 12/12T/10FF; CMD 12
-1F/+2R/+2W (+5 v charm/compulsion)(+2 v enchantment)
Buffs: none


HP 32, AC 22, T 12, F 20, CMD 20, Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +5, Init +3, Perc +5

As the beast barges through the door Arthur quickly follows recognising his responsibility as one of those with a weapon. A little confused by Iacobus apparent change in strategy he stops out of reach of the guards and tries to look menacing enhancing the effect of Iacobus' message unfortunately his confusion shows.

Aiding Initimidate: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Hp 11/11; AC 13/13T/10FF; CMD 18
+3F/+3R/+3W
Buffs: None


Male Human
Stats:
2 Investigator | HP 15 | AC 18 | T 14 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | Fort +0 (+2 v. poisons) | Ref +6 | Will +3 | Init +3 | Perc +5 (+6 for traps) | Inspiration 3rd/5
Skills:
(24 rank):Craft(Alc.):+10, Knowledge(Loc, Nat, Acn, Nob, Rel):+8, Splcrft:+9, Lin:+8, Sth:+10, Inti:+9, Per:+5, Blff:+6, Acro:+8, Dis dev:+8, Slght: +9, Dip:+6, Dis:+6.

I don't do fantastic in combat (damage dealer he is not) but I can try to make it a little easier for the rest of us. Please feel free to charge them; if I did demoralize one he has a -2 to hit.


HP 32, AC 22, T 12, F 20, CMD 20, Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +5, Init +3, Perc +5

Intelligence 8 here :D, I know it is not a sound decision


Male Human
Stats:
2 Investigator | HP 15 | AC 18 | T 14 | FF 14 | CMD 14 | Fort +0 (+2 v. poisons) | Ref +6 | Will +3 | Init +3 | Perc +5 (+6 for traps) | Inspiration 3rd/5
Skills:
(24 rank):Craft(Alc.):+10, Knowledge(Loc, Nat, Acn, Nob, Rel):+8, Splcrft:+9, Lin:+8, Sth:+10, Inti:+9, Per:+5, Blff:+6, Acro:+8, Dis dev:+8, Slght: +9, Dip:+6, Dis:+6.

Okay, thought that might be it but wanted to be certain. :D


Male Human Cleric 1 l HP: 12/12 l AC: 9 l FF: 9 l Touch: 9 l CMD: 10 l Init:-1 l Fort: +5 l Ref:-1 l Will:+5 l Perception:+3 l

Surprise Round

Grumplejack's roar was an obvious signal for Zurn to storm into the room. Zurn takes a few seconds to look around the room.
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Noticing nothing really out of the ordinary, he looks over to the guards.

1st Round

Zurn moves with haste as he grips his holy symbol tightly with his right hand. "My lord.. let us see how thick their skin actually is." More dark energy flows through his holy symbol. Zurn swings his left hand in an attempt to create a beautiful wound. His hands can now pierce flesh for a brief duration. Like Lucetta, he goes for the guard that is not in Grumplejacks line of charge.

Roll twice with advantage. Melee Touch Attack. Death domain ability.
Bleeding Touch: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Bleeding Touch: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6


The guards barely have a instant to register what is happening before you fall upon them. One pour guard can do little more than gape wide mouthed as Zurn and Lucetta batter him with magic.

Attack a: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (9) + 6 - 2 = 13
Attack b: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 6 - 2 = 21

Damage: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

It is almost a blessing when Grumblejack steps in to give him a smile that goes from ear to ear.

The remaining guard let out a cry of warning and grabbing the horn at his belt, he brings it to his lips to blow.(Provokes AoO, GJ has reach, I figure he could hit)

Grumblejack slices at the guards hand, and the horn drops to his feet.

Disarm A: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Disarm B: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

"Nun un. Little 'un. No friends for you."

Combat Rn 2

Attack a: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 6 - 2 = 6
Attack a: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 6 - 2 = 5

Try as he might, Grumblejack's knife can't pierce the terrified guard's armour.

(everyone is up)

Prison Guard CR 1/2 x2:

Male human warrior 2 LG Medium humanoid
Init +1; Senses Perception +2
DEFENSE
AC 17, touch 11, flat-footed 16 (+4 armor, +2 shield, +1 Dex)
hp dead/13. 13/13 (shaken)
Fort +4, Ref +0, Will -1
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft. Melee longsword +5 (1d8+2/19–20); club +4 (1d6+2; 1⁄2 non-lethal)

1 to 50 of 1,902 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.