Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Solace (Inactive)

Game Master shrodingerscat

Pathfinder ruleset, E6 subset, sandbox homebrew game


401 to 450 of 897 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

Still a bit confused by the happenings of the events minutes ago, Erec speaks up.
"We probably have an two hours or so of daylight yet, Havak. We could still got to the *gulp* graveyard If you like."


I've been playing a kingmaker game on these boards for over a year and I've threatened a critical twice. I didn't even confirm either. This is really freaking me out, haha.

The adrenalin still coursing through his veins left his hands trembling and turned his tongue dry. He swallows hard and turns his back to the halved beast as he makes his way back to the watchtower.

"Is every- -AHEM. Is everyone alright? Elarya?"


HP: 20/23 AC 14/12/12: F +5, R +2, W -1, Per:+4, Init: +2, Rage: 8/8

Elarya manages to stumble over to the wall by the door before sinking to the floor.

"No."


"Take some time to catch your breath. Dante and I will go find the stone. Sansa, you stay here and help her," he says pointing to Elarya. "We're going to need to get back to town immediately. The others will want to know about this."

Take 20 on Perception to search for the stone; Total: 24. If Dante's Perception is better than mine, count it as an Aid Another.


Male RETIRED Blue Goblin Chirurgeon 2

"let's just wait until tomorrow"


F Changeling Oracle 1, Witch 1/AC 12/HP 13/F +3 R +3 W +8/Init +1/Perc +7/+9

Outcome of Sansa's Perception roll of 26...

Sansa stares at Garrett, noticing his capacity for bossiness. It's MY Watchtower and they keep telling ME what to do.

Sansa looks back at Elarya now on the ground and then turns her attention to Dante in main, and the bossy but compelling Garrett.

"I already found the stone. She opens her small palm and inside it is the stone with the dragon symbol. It was there, she points to a place about 15 feet from the entrance of the Watchtower, and while the dragon was thrashing about, I noticed it and picked it up. It's fortunate, Garrett, that you slew the dragon when you did, for it was about to discover it. The outcome would not have been a happy one."

Her next words are to her brother, "Dante, take this bad stone and do not allow it to be lost again. Mother Celeste will be told how it drew the dragon to us. Then the town elders will know." Sansa gives a firm nod as if the subject is not open for debate, hands the bad stone to Dante and walks back to the downed Elarya.

"Do you require another healing?" Sansa's mismatched eyes seem to be swirling with some kind of emotion, perhaps even congratulating herself for finding the bad stone before the man-sized dragon. Pity it had to die.

Speaking to no one in particular, "Do we take the dead dragon with us back to town? I am sure someone will want to examine it."


Peering back out the door, "Suppose it should be a bit easier to carry in its current state. I imagine Samel or Abram would have an idea of what this is and what it means. Corvina..." he trails off contemplatively. "I should like to speak with her about these stones," he says decidedly before giving Dante a studious glance.


Female Human Ranger Level 2
Amara wrote:

"Well thank you both for coming to help. If you need anything from me just let me know and I will be glad to help you.

Forgot about Erec, obviously Amara would have included him and thanked "you all"

At loose ends, Amara indicates she is heading back into town and keeps a keen eye out for anything flying and scaly.


F Changeling Oracle 1, Witch 1/AC 12/HP 13/F +3 R +3 W +8/Init +1/Perc +7/+9

"There is rope in the Watchtower. We could tie and drag it if necessary. You look strong enough, Garrett. Elarya does too, but not right now."

At mention of Corvina's name, Sansa swivels on her heels, and states with vehement conviction, "Corvina will not give you a straight answer. She values her secrets as much as my brother does. Yet, I agree, she must be held accountable for this stone's power and what occurred this day."

She chews on her full, bottom lip. "The dragon is not the only one. It was bidden to retrieve the stone. Others will follow to succeed where it failed."

The light wind ruffles her unruly long hair. She turns sad eyes toward her beloved Watchtower. "My Tower is ruined. I will have to clean it up and restore it to order. Let us take the rope and close the door. I do not want further intrusion this day."


Male Awakened crow (magical beast) Bard 1

Rook nods. "I will take a sample to Abram and see if he has any further insight. Perhaps we should journey back to town as a group."

Rook grasps a few of the flowers in his claw by the stems and yanks them free. He quickly studies the area to memorize it and does his best to mark it. As he follows the others he'll periodically stop to try and mark the trail so he can find it again. (Thinking his speed should allow him to do this and still keep up. If not, he'll lag behind.)


HP: 20/23 AC 14/12/12: F +5, R +2, W -1, Per:+4, Init: +2, Rage: 8/8

At Sansa's question Elarya shakes her head, despite the fact that blood was slick on her arm and darkening the leather where the beast's fangs ad punctured the armor. Tears can be seen rimming her eyes.

"I'm sorry about the mess."

She grabs her dagger and leaves, not daring to look at Garrett. She doesn't even notice how dark it is getting as she walks back home. She is oblivious to the blood drying on her skin and clothes. Her thoughts were on home.

Not her adopted home, her home to the north. She kept replaying the events that lead her to Solace over and over again. Each time the pain in her heart grew greater. So distracted by the pain, she almost ran into the front door. She bite her lip and opened it.


F Changeling Oracle 1, Witch 1/AC 12/HP 13/F +3 R +3 W +8/Init +1/Perc +7/+9

Sansa had seen the tears shimmering in the older girl's blue eyes. For someone so tough and ready to fight, Elarya seemed to cry an awful lot.

Looking to Garrett, she says, "I was not blaming her. Why did she run off? She is hurt and there may be more dragons. I do not understand Elarya."

GM, Sansa performed two CLW spells on Elarya during the tussle with the dragon. Is she really only at 8 hp? Sorry I lost track on how many hit points she lost during the fight (incl. the earlier fight with the flying serpent thingies).


yeah, according to my calculations Elarya should be at 10hp


HP: 20/23 AC 14/12/12: F +5, R +2, W -1, Per:+4, Init: +2, Rage: 8/8

Are you counting it down from 16 or 14 HP? She gains 2 HP while raging.


F Changeling Oracle 1, Witch 1/AC 12/HP 13/F +3 R +3 W +8/Init +1/Perc +7/+9

Mother Celeste will chide me for not healing Elarya properly. Why did she have to run off like that for the light is giving way to the dark.

Sansa stamps her foot in the dirt and long grass.

Facing Garrett and Dante, she utters, "Garrett, ensure Dante makes it back to our house with the bad stone before you go in search of the elders. I will go to Elarya's house and finish my healing of her wounds. Mother Celeste expects nothing less than my best care of the townsfolk of Solace. Thoughtless girl ran away before I could finish the task. Now I must go find her. Let us all hurry. Night will fall soon."

And with one last lingering look at the Watchtower, Sansa begins walking (in her usual strange gliding fashion) the two miles back toward the town.

This is assuming Garrett can haul the dead dragon on his own. If he cannot, she will aid him for Dante is not cut out for the job.

btw Garrett, do you require healing?


I did take a hit earlier but I'll be fine by morning.

"Do as you feel you must Sansa. It is clear to see that Elarya needs somebody's help. We'll make sure to lock up the watchtower before leaving. It may take some time but I am confident that we will get these remains back to town before dark."

Garrett gives the young girl a warm smile and waits for her to leave before getting to work. Limping back into the watchtower he gathers the rope and whatever helpful materials there might have been scattered about and sets to throw together some makeshift sled to drag the dragon pieces back to Solace.

After a long silence he finally looks to Dante, who had been supervising the whole affair, and tells him: "I'm sorry for the way I spoke to you earlier; I had no right. It's just that today has been such a... I... Something strange is going on. By the Gods! I killed a DRAGON not an hour and a half ago! A dragon! Whatever is happening is beyond us. Beyond Corvina. Beyond Solace. It's just, whatever information you and Corvina have on this could be what stands between the life and death of hundreds and thousands of people. I understand that you and she are close but if she's withholding anything about on whats happening here then it must your responsibility to tell us."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

STR 16: Lift 460 lbs and Push/Pull 1150 lbs. Garrett will exhaust himself moving it to town if necessary.


Dante looks at his feet as Garrett makes his apology. He takes his mask off slowly and looks the other young man in the eyes.
"I understand your reaction. I'm afraid I don't know much more than you about the stone. I know that these stones..." he makes a gesture to the carved box tucked under his arm, "these ones, I think are meant to protect us, somehow. Corvina, well, she said the the other one went bad. I just figured I should take all of them."
The lanky boy's cheeks are red with embarrassment.
"I help her out, and she's kind to me, but..."
he sighs
"Half the time, I don't know what she's talking about."
then the rest of what Garrett had said seems to sink in on him, for his expression changes to one of worry.
"Do you really think that many people are in danger?"


Amara, Havak, and Rook:
Are any of you going to do anything special before the sun goes down, or look for anyone to talk to?

Elarya:
When Elarya arrived at her adopted home It was strangely silent. Wallace sat silently with a mug of ale in his hand, staring at the stove, and occasionally poking the embers with a metal tong, or putting a chunk wood to feed it. He only nodded at the girl as she entered the house, acknowledging her presence with a tight mouth and a sad look in his eyes. Regina sat in a chair pulled close to the window, enthralled in her knitting, or perhaps lost in thought. She was a soft spoken woman, not one to speak without something important to say. Elarya has passed Victor and Barnaby as she entered, and saw them sorting the rocks they had retrieved from the quarry, sorting the ones with bits of ore from the others. Little Selva lay already sleeping in the back of the house, no doubt tired from a day of being lead around town with an active imagination.
"There's still supper left, if you want some." Wallace tapped the iron pot over the stove with his tongs.

Garrett:
the creature weighs just over 200 lbs, so you can carry it ok, its just awkward and messy

Sansa:
Is Sansa going after Elarya or is she going home/to Celete's first?


HP: 20/23 AC 14/12/12: F +5, R +2, W -1, Per:+4, Init: +2, Rage: 8/8

GM:
Okay, I've gone through and calculated the total damage Elarya has taken, and it comes out to -7 HP, so she's hurt, bloodied, and her clothes are mess, in addition to wearing the armor she came to the village in and carrying her knife. I'm not so sure that Wallace and his family would be so calm. Even if she was fully healed, she's still wearing the armor carrying her knife and her shirt is still blood-stained and the sleeves full of holes. Not trying to tell you how to run the game, but that was a serious disconnect for me when I read that.


Male RETIRED Blue Goblin Chirurgeon 2

Havak has no special agenda, he isnt going to the graveyard until tomorrow


Female Human Ranger Level 2

Amara makes her way into town with the others and searches out Samel to inform him of the recent events. After telling him all that happened, including the footprints, she leaves him to return to her family for supper.


Npc Dante wrote:
"I understand your reaction. I'm afraid I don't know much more than you about the stone. I know that these stones..." he makes a gesture to the carved box tucked under his arm, "these ones, I think are meant to protect us, somehow. Corvina, well, she said the the other one went bad. I just figured I should take all of them."

"It went bad? So it was good at some point... right?" he asks with a puzzled expression. "I wonder what that means about the dragon, do you think it was bad too? It attacked us; well, after Elarya tried to grab it. We had to protect ourselves..." he breaths to himself with a slight of remorse.

Npc Dante wrote:
"I help her out, and she's kind to me, but... Half the time, I don't know what she's talking about. Do you really think that many people are in danger?"

Garrett weighs on the question for a moment before answering, but does so with small sort of pride. "'When sorrows come, they come not single spies. But in battalions.' One of Erec's poets wrote that in a book my brother would read to me. I find that it's a simple truth that bad things unfold in waves. This could be only the beginning of many more misfortunes, so it would be wise to prepare for others to follow."

Garrett had wrapped the remains in a bed sheet. Using Sansa's rope to secure the bloody package he draped it over his shoulder as he would with a load of fish. He trudges along dutifully towards town with a growing swirl of guilt, anxiety and excitement in his stomach. The town elders would surely be surprised with the package and story they had in store.


Male Awakened crow (magical beast) Bard 1

Rook follows the others into town, grasping the flowers tightly in his talons. He wishes Amara a good night and heads to Abram's house with any that follow.


F Changeling Oracle 1, Witch 1/AC 12/HP 13/F +3 R +3 W +8/Init +1/Perc +7/+9

GM:

How far is Sansa's/Celeste's home from Elarya's?


F Changeling Oracle 1, Witch 1/AC 12/HP 13/F +3 R +3 W +8/Init +1/Perc +7/+9

Sansa makes her way determinedly to the Blacksmith's place of residence - Elarya's home. Mother Celeste's home was further south and out of her way and so talking to her adopted mother first was out of the question. Sansa would find Elarya, heal the flighty older girl and then go find Garrett, Dante and the dead dragon. To no one but the quickening evening tide she declares, "I would hear what the elders have to say. I will not miss their words and wisdom." But perhaps Sansa was well aware that those who followed her unseen were close by listening to her every word. Sansa did not mind the dark and her sight did not fail her in the growing dark spaces, well to at least 60 feet ahead of her. Elarya had a good head start but Sansa was determined to do what was considered right by the warrior-girl. Her feet barely made a sound as she glided along the dirt path toward the Blacksmith's house. The sounds of the stirring night creatures began filtering into her senses and the air grew cooler and she wrapped her coat more tightly about her slight body.

Sansa kept vigilant on her way to find Elarya. She was travelling alone, not that this was considered unusual for her, for she often travelled by herself to and from her Watchtower at night. But the appearance of the man-sized dragon had made her take more care on the road.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

When Sansa finally spied Elarya's home, she quickened her footsteps and seeing a light shining through the window, lifted her small hand and knocked on the door. She caught herself in time, fortunately, for she was going to simply open the door and walk right in.

When the knock is answered, Sansa will state in her usual manner, "I am Sansa Allende and I am here to heal Elarya." No preamble just a straightforward introduction to why she was in their home.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Sansa was never good with the social niceties that others employed in Solace. She came right out and spoke her mind and it often resulted in stern gazes or quick reprimands. I am here to help their adopted daughter. What else can they want from me...

She waits impatiently to be invited inside; her mismatched eyes bright in the light coming from within the house.


Elarya Whitescale wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Elarya:
correction/retcon of my previous post, this occurs before Sansa arives

Elarya arrives at the Shale residence lost in thought. Her walk was long, and she had time to contemplate many things. Not only what had happened on this day, but on days past. It was this daze that caused her to almost walk into the door when she arrived at her adopted home.

Outside in the workshop, Victor and Barnaby were unloading rocks from the quarry, sorting through the peices they had found with ore. Victor looked up to Elarya with a bit of a smile of acknowledgement, but the grin on his face quickly turned to one of worry. Grabbing his brother, he rushed over to the girl.
"Earth and sky!" he exclaimed, as he and the other boy quickly surrounded her, helping her stand, fearful that perceived injuries would cause her to fall at any moment.

Barnaby pushed the door open in a rush, and both boys ushered Elarya into the house. "Father, come quickly, Elarya has been hurt!"
Walace stood with a start from his seat in front of the stove. He had been lost in thought, a slight frown on his face, but when he saw the bloodied girl his face blanched. Quickly and silently, he got up, and was soon at her side, his hand lightly as her cheek as his eyes looked for wounds. Regina was standing nearby, a shocked look on her face, tears of worry falling down her red cheeks. After a minute or so, when Wallace had inspected her wounds, barked at his sons to grab some bandages and herbs from a nearby cupboard. He carefully hugged Elarya, then stood back from her with his hands firmly on her shoulders.
"What happened, girl?"
Little Selva, who had been sleeping in the back of the house came out with a sleepy and confused look on her face. Regina, who had finally broke into a silent cry, scooped her up and held her tight.


HP: 20/23 AC 14/12/12: F +5, R +2, W -1, Per:+4, Init: +2, Rage: 8/8

GM:
Elarya stayed quiet, trying to maintain what little she could of her composure. Her eyes were wet with unfallen tears when she was ushered instead. She managed it, until Wallace asked her his question.

"I..." Tears that have been welling up in her eyes begin falling down her cheeks.

"I..." Elarya's breathing becomes ragged from trying to hold back her sobs and her shoulders tremble as her whole body shakes.

"I..." she sniffs, trying, trying with all of her will, to hold back the flood, but she's too tired, too exhausted, and the emotions of guilt and fear too powerful, too long bottled up, for the small northern girl to hold it back any longer. Her knees buckle and she falls forward, wrapping her arms around the man who'd taken her in and wails. Apologies come out in a jumble of sob-choked words muffled from her burying her head into Wallace's chest.

She isn't the strong, hard-working, but silent girl that had proven to be as tough as nails time and time again, but a small, fragile thing that couldn't even support her own weight. Tears soak into Wallace's shirt and the sobbing goes on. She cried for a long time after her tears had dried.

Finally, the flood ended, she was tired, weak, and numb. She wanted nothing more than to go to sleep, but she had to tell them what had happened, and not just that afternoon, but that night over a year ago.

Then Sansa knocked on the door.


Havak wrote:
Havak has no special agenda, he isnt going to the graveyard until tomorrow

Havak:
When Havak arrived a the house he shared with Johnas, we found a familiar sight. The old man was passed out on the floor his iron cup next to him, with several drops of ales still in it. It was clear that he had been drinking for quite a while, as the small keg was near empty. What was not usual, though was that the house was tossed. Bits of clothing were strewn about, wooden eating utensils thrown haphazardly everywhere and other nicknacks all around. A number of floorboards were even pulled up and put back hastily. Barley sticking out of one of them was a bit of worn and aged parchment covered with faded writing.

Johnas snored loudly and mumbled under his breath, "never find it, hehehe, i hid it good..."

Amara:
Samel was nowhere to be found, but he often would go for long walks in the moonlight alone. He said that the sounds of night relaxed him, and sometimes he needed to breathe the air that was "just off the moon and trees" before he slept.
Arriving home,Amara could hear the sounds of revelry from within the house and smell the warm stew being cooked inside. As she entered, the all said her name simultaneously. Ernest sat at the table a bowl and cup in front of him, Jenzie sitting on his lap and smiling. She kissed her husband and got up, moving to the stove to make a bow of the stew. It had a familiar fishy smell to it, but it was more subdued than normal, and with a hint of something spicy. Mick and Jeran sat nearby, kitty-corner to each other, their elbows firmly on the table, locked in a test of strength. Her mother kissed her on the cheek and handed her the steaming bowl. "Here, my sweet, need to keep your strength up if you're going to be a hunter."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Garrett Snow wrote:


"It went bad? So it was good at some point... right?" he asks with a puzzled expression. "I wonder what that means about the dragon, do you think it was bad too? It attacked us; well, after Elarya tried to grab it. We had to protect ourselves..." he breaths to himself with a slight of remorse.

Npc Dante wrote:
"I help her out, and she's kind to me, but... Half the time, I don't know what she's talking about. Do you really think that many people are in danger?"

Garrett weighs on the question for a moment before answering, but does so with small sort of pride. "'When sorrows come, they come not single spies. But in battalions.' One of Erec's poets wrote that in a book my brother would read to me. I find that it's a simple truth that bad things unfold in waves. This could be only the beginning of many more misfortunes, so it would be wise to prepare for others to follow."

Garrett had wrapped the remains in a bed sheet. Using Sansa's rope to secure the bloody package he draped it over his shoulder as he would with a load of fish. He trudges along dutifully towards town with a growing swirl of guilt, anxiety and excitement in his stomach. The town elders would surely be surprised with the package and story they had in store.

The walk home was a silent one, with Dante only responding to the questions with a puzzled look. "I don't know" seemed to be the phrase of the day for him.

The wind calmed some, and as the sun began to fall there was also a chill, something was in the air that said maybe rain was coming.
Garrett thought back to earlier in the day, on his way up to the tower, of the sight of Wallace Shale and his father deep in conversation. Those were two of the elders there, with Abram and Samel filing out the rest.

Solace was steeped largely in the old faith, in a sense if you worked hard and respected the land, you would live a much better life. Finding harmony with the "cycles" were important. No one seemed to believe this as strongly as Abram, with the others taking more practical views.

Nevertheless, the council was divided into for adults, each representing a season. Wallace Shale, the darkening of earth and toil of Autumn; Abram Verance, the harmony and peace of Summer; Samel Berit, the cultivation of life and fresh start of Spring; and Everett Snow, the discipline and hardiness of preparation for Winter.


Female Human Ranger Level 2

GM:
Dismayed at not finding Samel, but not overly concerned Amara headed home.
Samel will get his tale tomorrow.

Coming in the door Amara smiled at the greeting from her family. There was nothing like the love she found inside the warmth of her family home.

"Thanks Mums; it smells delicious, as usual."

She gives Jeran a little pinch on her way to her seat distracting him enough that Mick is able to push his arm down to the table. She winks at Mick and laughs mischievously. She sits and begins to eat while inquiring about the day her family has had and telling them about her own adventures.

You wanted all this in a spoiler? Just want to make sure. I am sulky I don't get to see everyone's story ;)


Sansa Allende wrote:


Sansa kept vigilant on her way to find Elarya. She was travelling alone, not that this was considered unusual for her, for she often travelled by herself to and from her Watchtower at night. But the appearance of the man-sized dragon had made her take more care on the road.

When Sansa finally spied Elarya's home, she quickened her footsteps and seeing a light shining through the window, lifted her small hand and knocked on the door. She caught herself in time, fortunately, for she was going to simply open the door and walk right in.

When the knock is answered, Sansa will state in her usual manner, "I am Sansa Allende and I am here to heal Elarya." No preamble just a straightforward introduction to why she was in their home.

Sansa was never good with the social niceties that others employed in Solace. She came right out and spoke her mind and it often resulted in stern gazes or...

The knock went unanswered, but she could definitely hear a commotion inside the house. The door swung open with her knock, as in the rush of activity from earlier, noone had thought to bar the door. Inside, Elarya sat on a stool, her armor stripped off and placed on a bench. There was a blanket placed over her shoulders and underneath Sansa could barely see bandages wrapped tightly about the other girl. Her adopted mother doted on her, silently wiping her face clean with a wet cloth.

Barnaby and Victor stood only a few feet away. A smaller girl, whom Sansa recognized as little Selva, the youngest Shale, sat in the corner and pulled nervously at the hair of a small doll. She looked up and noticed a bit of air come in the house and scrambled to her feet. In moments, she was at the older girls side, taking her hand and pulling her in the house. "Make her better," the girl said in a mousy voice.


Male RETIRED Blue Goblin Chirurgeon 2

GM:

Havak will move and attempt to read the parchment.


F Changeling Oracle 1, Witch 1/AC 12/HP 13/F +3 R +3 W +8/Init +1/Perc +7/+9
GM Keeper of Solace wrote:

The knock went unanswered, but she could definitely hear a commotion inside the house. The door swung open with her knock, as in the rush of activity from earlier, noone had thought to bar the door. Inside, Elarya sat on a stool, her armor stripped off and placed on a bench. There was a blanket placed over her shoulders and underneath Sansa could barely see bandages wrapped tightly about the other girl. Her adopted mother doted on her, silently wiping her face clean with a wet cloth.

Barnaby and Victor stood only a few feet away. A smaller girl, whom Sansa recognized as little Selva, the youngest Shale, sat in the corner and pulled nervously at the hair of a small doll. She looked up and noticed a bit of air come in the house and scrambled to her feet. In moments, she was at the older girls side, taking her hand and pulling her in the house. "Make her better," the girl said in a mousy voice.

When the door swung in of its own accord, Sansa grimaced at the lack of security. Don't these people know there are dragons about.

Suddenly the youngest Shale stood by the door and Sansa looked down at the little girl with the soft voice. At Selva's touch, Sansa almost pulled away, realising she had forgotten to put her gloves back on after the incident with the dragon. This small one is not afraid of my hands and long nails. Strange. "I will", she answers Selva's command to make Elarya better.

Sansa allows herself to be led inside and stops just before the seated Elarya. She drops Selva's hand. The bandages looked clean and efficiently tied, the Blacksmith's wife had done a fair job with the tending. Once more without preamble, Sansa declares in a firm (albeit melodic) voice, "You should not have run off." Rubbing her small hands to warm and revive them, she draws closer to Elarya, "I will examine you now. Determine the extent of your injuries." Sansa transforms into a consummate healer, checking the older girl's injuries and vitals. She does not seek permission from any in the room and attends to Elarya efficiently as it was getting quite dark and Sansa had more to attend to this night.

Heal check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


HP: 20/23 AC 14/12/12: F +5, R +2, W -1, Per:+4, Init: +2, Rage: 8/8

Elarya's cheeks turned bright red at Sansa's entrance, but not from the chill air. She pulls the blanket tighter, covering up the bandages and hiding her legs as she curls up on the bench.

"'Lo Sansa, I'm fin- Wha-? HEY!"

Her voice is a little hoarse, and from the redness of her eyes, and the tell-tale tracks on her cheeks, the girl had obviously been crying.

Now though, she is embarrassed as Sansa pulls the blanket from around the northerner's shoulders and reveals that from the waist up, she has very little protecting her modesty. Bandages wrap her belly from the bottom of her ribcage to the top of her breeches, her arm, which had been mostly healed, has been wrapped from elbow to wrist. The only other thing is the undergarment covering her breasts. She doesn't resist the younger girl's administrations after her initial protest. She is too tired for a long argument. She is too tired to be angry at her for intruding and helping out. She is too tired to be much anything but embarrassed.

She wraps the blanket back around her shoulders, tucking her feet back under it after Sansa finishes.

"Hey Sansa." She calls out, her voice a little shaky, and pretty close to how Selva sounded earlier. When the younger girl turns around, Elarya simply tells her, "Take care." There is genuine concern behind her eyes, along with something else that hasn't been there since her arrival in Solace a year ago.

After Sansa departs, Elarya sniffs and turns to Wallace and Regina.

"Can I have some tea, please?"

After she takes a few sips, she her eyes once again meet those of the two that had taken her in. She looked away, and sighed.

"I owe you an apology. I have lived under your roof for a year, and I still haven't told you everything."

I'm going to spoiler the rest of it to avoid posting a wall of text. I also want to point out that Elarya is likely not much taller, or boarder than Sansa, since she's 5'3" and 110lbs.

Spoiler:
"I turned ten and six years about a month ago. A year before that I was home, making an oath that my clan had made for a thousand generations." She sighs again, this time to relieve the tension in her shoulders that was building from the not--quite-exhausted guilt at the memory. "Each and everyone my family has made an oath to protect those unable to protect themselves, to stand against those that'd take the life of others. We swear by our swords and our shields to uphold it until we die.

"That was when I came of age. I was trained to wield weapons since I was Selva's age. I have learned and practiced the smith's art for nearly as long. I was a good fighter, so my uncle asked me to come south with him with the next caravan. We left two weeks later. Most of the trip was uneventful, and it was the stories that he told that kept me happy, and distracted from the monotony of the trip."

She smiles sadly as she remembers those tales, but her face darkens as she begins the next part of her tale, her eyes glazing over as she recounts the horrible night that lead her here.

"After two weeks, we came near here. Last night marked a year since it happened. Bandits fell on us as we camped. They slew the two on watch before moving to those just waking at their death cries. Men died, cut, smashed, and broken they died. They died and I hid. I hid and cowered like a lost little girl."

Tears threatened to come once more, but she manages to hold them back.

"I watched, hidden in the brush, as a great ogre of a man waded into the melee. His mace shattered bone of man and horse alike. I saw him approach my uncle. I watched my uncle die. I watched them kill them all. I watched them strip everything of value from those that fell. I watched and did nothing.

"They missed my uncle's sword, though, hours after they had left, I grabbed it and ran here. And then, *hic* and then today, I fought against a snake with wings, it bit me, but I killed it. I *sob* I could fight when it was just me, just my life in danger, but I couldn't help my uncle! I couldn't even fight! I just hid. I hid and broke my oath!"

The tears start once more and she buries her head in her hands.

"I can't go home. I can't see my parents, I can't see any of my cousins, or siblings, or aunts or uncles, or my grandfather. I-I'm worse than a murderer. I-I can't go home! I! BROKE! MY! OATH!"

The young warrior slides to the ground and curls up on the floor, her body wracked by her sobbing. She didn't know how long she cried this time. Minutes? Hours? Days? It didn't matter. She had finally admitted out loud the thing she knew in her heart.

And it hurt, it hurt more than anything else to admit it, but her adoptive family needed to know, she felt. They needed to know why she had stayed for so long.

Where else could she go?


Interesting work with the elders, DM. What a great coincidence with my character's (and his family's) surname haha!

Garrett's first instinct was to take the remains to his father but he knew better than to disregard Solace's order. Abram Verance led the elders and, as much as it pained the boy to think about how his honorable father was outranked in such regards, he understood that this needed to be brought to his attention first and foremost.

The pain in his thigh from the dragon bite had subsided to a numb ache after the first mile or so of the trek home. He had enough sense to staunch the bleeding with a ribbon of the bed sheet but was unsure if he had been exposed to any venom the monster may have secreted. His concerns would be sated soon enough. Somewhere between Celeste's Elven magics, Samel's expansive knowledge of herbalism and Havak's alchemy there would be some sort of curative measure for such an affliction.

As he stood outside of the grand elder's door, his finger tips began to tingle causing his hand to pause when he raised it to knock. He wetted his lips and gave the door three solid raps, BUMF BUMF BUMF, then looked back to check if Dante had managed to stay with him after they made it home.


F Changeling Oracle 1, Witch 1/AC 12/HP 13/F +3 R +3 W +8/Init +1/Perc +7/+9

Sansa, after ensuring that Elarya was in no danger from infection or worse, and recommending bed and sleep for the girl, bids the Shales farewell and goes back out into the darkness. She felt almost pushed out the door and she was unsure why, except for that strange look in Elarya's eyes when she told Sansa to take care. She rarely expected thanks from the townsfolk, but to go out of her way to see to Elarya and then receive no gratitude from the Blacksmith's family, seemed an obvious slight to Sansa. I wonder what Mother Celeste would make of their behaviour...Least Elarya will recover and I will not be chastised for not attending to her.

Sansa takes the lashed lantern from her belt, and lifting it, carefully casts Spark upon the mantle and the lantern comes alive with a bright, warm glow. Sansa's eyesight was good in the darkness but she decided additional lighting would be helpful as she glided alone back up the path toward Garrett and Dante. She guessed they would seek Abram out first.

Are Garrett and Dante headed to Abram's or one of the other elder's homes? Just trying to determine which direction Sansa is headed.

Edit: Ninj'd by Garrett. Sansa is off to Abram's house.


Male Awakened crow (magical beast) Bard 1

Rook wings his way to Abram's house and lands on the window sill. He waits for the old druid, to show him the flower samples and relate the story of what happened with Jerem in the woods.


F Changeling Oracle 1, Witch 1/AC 12/HP 13/F +3 R +3 W +8/Init +1/Perc +7/+9

Walking briskly with the lit lantern held before her and with one hand tugging at the opening of her woollen coat, Sansa arrives at Abram's door, and noticing no one outside at present, proceeds to lift her free hand and knock on the door, waiting to see if the boys made it safely to the Elder's house.


HP: 20/23 AC 14/12/12: F +5, R +2, W -1, Per:+4, Init: +2, Rage: 8/8

Hello? Is the GM home?


Amara

The Sontan clan sit rapt in Amara's tale of battle, and in wonder at the sight she saw later when Jerem did his prayer. There were many questions, but little worry. Their daughter was unharmed, and the status quo had seemed to return to the little town. The night went on like most others, each member telling a tale about their respective days, and a true sense of family. Amara and her brothers each went to bed in comfort, with the smell of food still filling the house, and the sound of her parents speaking in low tones. It had been quite a day, and there was plenty for her to think on as she drifted off to sleep.

...

She woke with a start, damp air around her, and a slight chill. All was dark save for the dim twinkle of the stars in the sky, barely enough to see her hand in front her face. Splayed on her back, she stared up at the night sky, around her she could see thick dark reeds sprouting up, and speaking in a strange language a ways off.


F Changeling Oracle 1, Witch 1/AC 12/HP 13/F +3 R +3 W +8/Init +1/Perc +7/+9

While waiting for someone to open the door and to be invited into Abram's home, Sansa places the lantern down on the ground and takes the gloves from her pocket. She places them over her hands. Better not to draw attention ..., she muses inwardly. Still she disliked that she had to hide her long nails from the townsfolk. It bothered her for many reasons, yet she did not voice them and did what Mother Celeste would advise in the situation.


Elarya

Wallace sat close to the young warrior in silence as she told her tale. When the girl began to tear up, Regina clutched Selva close to her and fought back her own tears. The two boys sat as well on a nearby bench, and when looked up from his feet to speak, Walace shot him a glance that silenced him.
When Elarya had finished her tale of woe, the blacksmith put a hand on her arm firmly.
"I'm glad you told us girl. I could see the burden in your eyes then, when you first arrived. I wanted to go out then and help you. To find what troubled you and make it right. But now I understand more of the shame you felt.
Nodding to Regina for some more tea, he continued,
An oath is an important thing, Elarya. You feel that in your chest. Your heart tells you you've done wrong. But you can make it right. All the training in the world can't make up for experience and deeds. You just weren't ready then. You are ready now. Your uncle would be proud of the hard worker you've become. The battle you fought today is one that does your clan proud as well.


Havak

From where he stands, Havak can see that the note is written in common, but appears to be in some kind of code, as the words are gibberish. Also visible (as just a piece of it is sticking out of the floorboards) there appears to be a drawing of some kind, and upon closer inspection, it seems to be at least part of a map.


Garrett, Sansa and Rook

Sansa is only waiting for a minute or so when Garrett arrive outside Abram's home as well. Seconds after that, the two of them recognize a familiar black bird as well, and Rook touches down on a simple feeder hanging from the slight overhang above the door.

All is quiet for several minutes, and then a light appears through the window and rustling sound can be heard about.

The door creaks open slowly at first, but soon widens, and the familar face of Abram apears in the entryway. Rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand, he brings himself to a quick grin.
"Ahem. Yes...what...er. What time is it?
Looking down at Sansa he almost starts, but catches himself and stifles a little chuckle. Looking up to Garrett he nods and steadies himself in the frame, scratching his beard.
"Something important, then. Ahem. Yes, well, you'd better come inside. Let me get you some tea."
He throws a nod of acknowledgement at the bird as well and opens the window before ushering the teenagers into his home.


HP: 20/23 AC 14/12/12: F +5, R +2, W -1, Per:+4, Init: +2, Rage: 8/8

Elarya's tears still run down her cheeks, but the sobbing had ceased. When Regina brings her a cup of tea she takes it in both hands, and curls her legs back under the blanket.

"Thank ye. All o' ye. I- I've been a li'l lost, I guess."

She takes a sip at the tea, and then another before speaking again.

"I don't know why I kept it bottled inside fer so long. It hurt ta admit it, but it hurt more ta keep it locked away deep."

She finishes off the cup, sleep threatening to overtake her, but before she goes to bed, she asks Wallace one more question.

"Are ye gonna tell tha council 'bout this."


Male RETIRED Blue Goblin Chirurgeon 2

If johnas I passed out, Havak will open up that part of the floor and look around as well as read the note more closely


F Changeling Oracle 1, Witch 1/AC 12/HP 13/F +3 R +3 W +8/Init +1/Perc +7/+9

Sansa tilts her head at the chuckling Elder standing before her. She noticed his first reaction and it did not affect her -- being used to it more often than not.

"Good eve, Elder Abram", and with that Sansa enters the man's home and settles down in one of the empty chairs as he goes to make the tea.

When he returns, she begins, "We discovered a dragon in the Watchtower this afternoon. It sought Corvina's bad stone, the one etched with a serpent. Garrett managed to slay it. He brought the remains here with him. Dante took possession of the stone afterward. We were wondering if the Elders would examine the creature?"

Raw Diplomacy: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

Her approach was direct, as always. But she sat there, with a small, strange smile, nodding at the older man. Mother Celeste would approve ..., Sansa privately praised herself.


Garrett gives Abram a slight nod in reply and makes to follow Sansa into the cabin when he spies Rook on the feeder.

What is the town’s fascination with this bird? It’s unsettling to see that it’s seemingly everywhere all the time… Just watching... Waiting...

A little tactless, wouldn't you say Sansa? Garrett thinks to himself as the young girl tells her story. When he gets a chance to speak he cuts in, ”The beast was able to speak to us in the common tongue and even managed to bewitch the smith’s apprentice, Elarya, and myself with false visions. She and I managed to subdue the creature though she received the blunt end of its wrath. It told us that a stone Dante had, one of an assortment of stones he received from Corvina, was meant for him and it fought with deadly force to take it.”

He hadn’t risked resting yet for he knew that when he did the sting in his leg would resurface and he needed to remain resolute while in Abrams presence, at least for his father’s sake. At this point he started to notice the liquid contents of the bag dripping on the wooden floors of the elder’s cabin and realized there was probably a foul stench accompanying it that he had probably gotten accustomed to during the hike. Hurriedly he continued ”Apologies sir, but we haven’t much time. I believe we should gather the council alongside Corvina so that we may discuss what has happened here today. I can get my father immediately if you’d ask it of me.”

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


Elarya Whitescale wrote:

Elarya's tears still run down her cheeks, but the sobbing had ceased. When Regina brings her a cup of tea she takes it in both hands, and curls her legs back under the blanket.

"Thank ye. All o' ye. I- I've been a li'l lost, I guess."

She takes a sip at the tea, and then another before speaking again.

"I don't know why I kept it bottled inside fer so long. It hurt ta admit it, but it hurt more ta keep it locked away deep."

She finishes off the cup, sleep threatening to overtake her, but before she goes to bed, she asks Wallace one more question.

"Are ye gonna tell tha council 'bout this."

Wallace smiled at Elarya with a look of understanding.

"Well, I do think the council should hear about this creature you defeated, but as for the rest, I think that is your business. There's no reason the council needs to know that."

He stood then, and looked about the house. His eyes went to his sons, his wife, his daughter, then back to Elarya

"I think that we should all get some rest. It's been an exciting day."

He leaned over then, and placed a gentle kiss on the warrior girl's cheek, and began to settle in to bed.


Havak wrote:
If johnas I passed out, Havak will open up that part of the floor and look around as well as read the note more closely

Pulling up the floorboard is easy enough, as it seems it was meant to be a secret compartment. Johnas just snores and drools through the whole ordeal, oblivious to anything around him in his state of unconsciousness.

Under the floorboard, in addition to the map, is a suit of blackened leather armor, in good condition, but rather old bound in a bolt of plain cloth. On top of that is a fine looking dagger with a waved blade and a dark blue pearl set in the pommel.

There are more pages under the floorboards as well, and at one time it seemed to be a book of some sort, and from the dates at the top of the pages, perhaps it was a journal of some kind. The words, although in common, do not make sense, and seem at first glance to be ordered randomly, although after a while looking at them, Havak's sharp mind begins to pick up a pattern. With some time, he's sure he could decipher it.
The page with the map is rather simple. It seems to indicate that north of the quarry and west of the graveyard there is a hill, and in that hill there is a hidden passage that leads to several underground caverns. At the end of the network is marked an "X".

401 to 450 of 897 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / It began in a town called Solace... All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.