Skull & shackles

Game Master DBH

Awakening in the hold of the Wormwood after being press ganged in Port peril. The PC's now have to survive a very unpleasant environment.

Loot

Infamy rank

Skull & Shackles Google docs folder

Charts of the fairwinds

Shackles map

Island of empty eyes

Chelish fort

Ruins of Sumitha

Oracle's hall


2,901 to 2,950 of 3,917 << first < prev | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | next > last >>

Male CN Half-Orc Barbarian 8, Rogue 2 | HP: 96/110 | AC: 23 (14 Tch, 20 Fl) | DR 1/- | CMB: +15, CMD: 29 (26 Fl) | F: +14, R: +12, W: +6 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM +4 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: see Stats spoiler in posts (other than hp, stats shown here are default stats only)

Kung watches Markizio's missiles fly at the jellyfish, and gives the magus a grin. He hoists his spear, and keeps it between he and the bubble of strange translucence.

In an unusual show of caution--perhaps tempered by the knowledge he's recalling of them--he doesn't dive right in as he might have any other time. Instead, he circles around the jellyfish, enjoying the mobility provided by his helm and keeping out of reach of the tentacles.

Actions:

Double Move: 60'

Stats:

HP 53/86
AC 21, touch 14, flat-footed 18 (+6 armor, +3 dex, +1 natural, +1 deflection)
Speed: 40 ft (30 ft swim)
Fort: +13, Ref: +12, Will: +6
Conditions: peg leg
Melee (+1 keen spear): +14/+7 (+7 BAB, +6 str, +1 enhancement, -0/-2 power attack)
Melee Damage (+1 keen spear): 1d8+17 (+9 str, +1 enhancement, +6 power attack, +1 peg leg)
14/17 rds Rage remaining


Are you sure you want to do that?

Stung by Markizio's magic the large pulsating mass flexed and moved itself closer to him.

Box Jelly fish (-13)
Tentacle: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

The attempted slap going wide of the transformed Magus.

Party actions.

You may all act now.


Male CG human magus 9 | CMB: 9, CMD: 21 | F: +10, R: +7, W: +9 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10, SM +1 | Speed 30ft |

With his magically enhanced aquatic agility long gone, the magus concentrated on defense before attacking this new menace.

He conjured up a shield to help deflect those tentacles and also energized his blade once more.

He saw that Kung was hurt and yelled at Niobe, "Heal up the big guy. He's in no shape to enter battle!"

---------------
cast shield as standard and cast shocking burst on blade as swift

stats:

HP 67/67
AC 21, touch 13, flat-footed 19
Conditions: shocking burst on blade, shield so AC=25
Melee (+1 keen falcata): +10/+5 = +1(magical) +6(base) +3(STR)
Melee Damage (+1 keen falcata): 1d8+4 = +1(weapon) +3 (str), 17-20, x3
+2 dam if arcane strike, -2/+4 if 1H power attack
5/8 arcane pool
Spell used: alter self, shocking grasp, shield


Female Merfolk Druid (Nature Priest, Skinshaper) 10 | 45/73 HP | AC 22 T 14 FF 20 | Fort +11 Ref +7 Will +13 | Initiative +2 | Perception +19 | Skinshaping 4/5 | War Blessing: Nobility 1/1, Water 1/1

Niobe seems surprised at Markizio's request, given that Kung is pretty well in strong fighting form, but accedes nonetheless.

Concentration: Cast defensively: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (6) + 13 = 19
Cure light wounds: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13


Male CG human magus 9 | CMB: 9, CMD: 21 | F: +10, R: +7, W: +9 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10, SM +1 | Speed 30ft |
Niobe Aptos wrote:
Niobe seems surprised at Markizio's request, given that Kung is pretty well in strong fighting form, but accedes nonetheless.

Unless Kung's stats are wrong, he's currently 53/86 hit points. Not critical but bad enough to warrant some healing, especially barbarians who normally take a beating at each and every fight. :(


Male CN Half-Orc Barbarian 8, Rogue 2 | HP: 96/110 | AC: 23 (14 Tch, 20 Fl) | DR 1/- | CMB: +15, CMD: 29 (26 Fl) | F: +14, R: +12, W: +6 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM +4 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: see Stats spoiler in posts (other than hp, stats shown here are default stats only)

Kung's stats are up to date. He'll get some temp hp as soon as he rages, which.... will probably happen very soon. :) But all healing is welcome. We should have done some in the downtime.

Niobe, was that clw cast on Kung? If so, do you have a larger range than touch? 'Cause Kung is at quite a distance currently.
______________

When the jellyfish moves to strike at Markizio, Kung swoops in from behind, rushing through the water with furious speed.

Actions:

Full Round: Charge

+1 keen spear: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (10) + 16 = 26
Damage, P: 1d8 + 17 ⇒ (4) + 17 = 21


Stats:

HP 53/86
AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 16 (+6 armor, +3 dex, +1 natural, +1 deflection, -2 charge)
Speed: 40 ft (30 ft swim)
Fort: +13, Ref: +12, Will: +6
Conditions: peg leg, charge
Melee (+1 keen spear): +16/+9 (+7 BAB, +6 str, +1 enhancement, -0/-2 power attack, +2 charge)
Melee Damage (+1 keen spear): 1d8+17 (+9 str, +1 enhancement, +6 power attack, +1 peg leg)
14/17 rds Rage remaining


Female Merfolk Druid (Nature Priest, Skinshaper) 10 | 45/73 HP | AC 22 T 14 FF 20 | Fort +11 Ref +7 Will +13 | Initiative +2 | Perception +19 | Skinshaping 4/5 | War Blessing: Nobility 1/1, Water 1/1

I moved to get behind Kung with my 50' swim speed, but if for some reason he suddenly is not where he was on the map when I made the post, I have a reach cure light wounds just for such occasions. The whole reason that I cast defensively was because getting next to Kung put me within 15' of the jellyfish.


Female Gnome Alchemist/Witch 8/2 || HP 84/84 || AC:19 T:13 FF:17 || F:12 R:11 W:8 || Initiative +3 | Perception +14 | Stealth +27 Gnome
Attack:
[dice=Bomb]1d20+11[/dice] [dice=Dmg]4d4+3[/dice] 5 dmg splash, DC 14 Ref [dice=dazed]1d4[/dice]
CB:
[dice=Crossbow]1d20+9[/dice]Human +2[dice=Dmg]1d8+3[/dice][dice=Humans]2d6[/dice]

Without much magical that Jane can do. Swimming She pulls out her short sword and attacks the jelly.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13 Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Male CN Half-Orc Barbarian 8, Rogue 2 | HP: 96/110 | AC: 23 (14 Tch, 20 Fl) | DR 1/- | CMB: +15, CMD: 29 (26 Fl) | F: +14, R: +12, W: +6 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM +4 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: see Stats spoiler in posts (other than hp, stats shown here are default stats only)

Kung's movement is marked on the map. When I posted (and now, too), Niobe was still over by Markizio and nowhere near Kung; that's why I asked. If Niobe moved, but you weren't able to move the token for some reason, then she could have been next to Kung's starting square before he moved.


Female Merfolk Druid (Nature Priest, Skinshaper) 10 | 45/73 HP | AC 22 T 14 FF 20 | Fort +11 Ref +7 Will +13 | Initiative +2 | Perception +19 | Skinshaping 4/5 | War Blessing: Nobility 1/1, Water 1/1

As I noted before, I moved when I made the post. That's very different from where I remember seeing Kung - when I moved my token Kung was literally one square to the right of where I am now, as I remember it.

Anyway, I'll just use reach cure light wounds, as apparently reality is now changing. For what it's worth I keep that spell ready in case I need to stabilize someone at a distance, but w/e.


Male N Human (Ulfen) Skald (Dragon Skald) 10 | HP: 72/93, DR 1/- | AC: 23 (Tch 14, Fl 23) | CMB: +11, CMD: 23 | F +12, R: +8, W: +12 (+4 vs fear) | Init: +4 | Perc: +18, SM: +17 | Speed 30ft | Raging Song: 19/24 | Spells: 1st 6/6, 2nd 3/5, 3rd 2/4, 4th 1/2, Spell Kenning 1/1 | Battle Cry 4/4, Lore Master 0/1 | Default stats only - see stats spoiler for current status

Sorry about the slowness, too may board games yesterday.
Niobe, inspired rage will give you:
+4 morale bonus to Str & Con, +3 morale bonus on Will saves, –1 AC, allies cannot use any Cha-, Dex-, or Int-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.
So no spell casting, but you can choose as a free action at the beginning of each of your turns whether to accept it or not, and there's no fatigue associated with it ending. It's good for turns you might be fighting, and you can choose not to use it on turns you'd be casting.

Marnir swims towards the giant jellyfish, trying to avoid it's mass of tentacles, chanting all the while as he goes.

Free Action to continue inspired rage, Full Round Action to swim 15ft up to the jellyfish (could I be moved on the map please?.


Female Merfolk Druid (Nature Priest, Skinshaper) 10 | 45/73 HP | AC 22 T 14 FF 20 | Fort +11 Ref +7 Will +13 | Initiative +2 | Perception +19 | Skinshaping 4/5 | War Blessing: Nobility 1/1, Water 1/1

Thanks Marnir. Since I'm healing people, no inspired rage for me.


Are you sure you want to do that?

Jane moves in and pokes the mass of jelly with her short sword.

Kung jets in and great speed and sends a convulsion through the mass with his spear.

Box jellyfish: (-37)
Tentacle Jane: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Tentacle Kung: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
Tentacle Niobe: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Tentacle Markizio: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

Niobe a Fort save from you please. DC17.

Poison:

Poison (Ex) Tentacles—injury; save Fort DC 17;
frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d4 Con; cure 2
consecutive saves. The save DC is Constitution based.

The party can now act again.

Can't believe my rolls today? One hit from all those attacks.


Female Merfolk Druid (Nature Priest, Skinshaper) 10 | 45/73 HP | AC 22 T 14 FF 20 | Fort +11 Ref +7 Will +13 | Initiative +2 | Perception +19 | Skinshaping 4/5 | War Blessing: Nobility 1/1, Water 1/1

Fort save: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20


Female Merfolk Druid (Nature Priest, Skinshaper) 10 | 45/73 HP | AC 22 T 14 FF 20 | Fort +11 Ref +7 Will +13 | Initiative +2 | Perception +19 | Skinshaping 4/5 | War Blessing: Nobility 1/1, Water 1/1

Niobe carefully swims back out of reach of the tentacles (5' step) and lets the thrumming song of Marnir wash over her. With a shout of rage she hurls her obsidian spear, which cuts through the water unhindered.

Thrown +1 obsidian spear, inspired rage, into melee: 1d20 + 8 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (15) + 8 + 2 - 4 = 21
Spear damage, inspired rage: 1d8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 + 2 = 12

After the throw, the spear pulls itself from the jellyfish and lances back to her hand!

My seastrike domain ability makes this possible: "Seastrike (Su): At 6th level, as a free action, you may use natural and manufactured weapons in water as if you had continuous freedom of movement. As a standard action, you can throw a weapon underwater without the normal penalties for throwing weapons; if your target is in or under the water, the weapon also acts as a returning weapon for that attack."

AC drops to 20 this round if the jellyfish moves to attack me.


Male CN Half-Orc Barbarian 8, Rogue 2 | HP: 96/110 | AC: 23 (14 Tch, 20 Fl) | DR 1/- | CMB: +15, CMD: 29 (26 Fl) | F: +14, R: +12, W: +6 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM +4 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: see Stats spoiler in posts (other than hp, stats shown here are default stats only)

Niobe, that ability is bonkers. :)
_____________

Kung sees Niobe hurl a spear at full speed through the water, and thinks nothing of it. Why should a spear hurled through the water at full speed seem in any way remarkable? His simple mind doesn't even notice the difference, as it looks like any spear throw he's ever seen above the surface. He does note the accuracy and damage of the strike, and gives Niobe a smile from other side of the jelly before he lets his fighting rage overwhelm him.

And then he strikes.

Actions:

Free: enter Rage
Move: Accurate Stance
Standard: Attack

+1 keen spear: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (17) + 20 = 37
Damage, P: 1d8 + 22 ⇒ (7) + 22 = 29


Stats:

HP 82+16/102 (16 hp from inspired rage)
AC 18, touch 11, flat-footed 15 (+6 armor, +3 dex, +1 natural, +1 deflection, -2 rage, -1 inspired rage)
Speed: 40 ft (30 ft swim)
Fort: +13, Ref: +12, Will: +11 (+2 rage, +3 inspired rage)
All saves: +5 competance vs. spells/-like (superstition)
Conditions: rage, accurate stance, peg leg, inspired rage
Melee (+1 keen spear): +20/+13 (+7 BAB, +8 str, +1 enhancement, -0/-2 power attack, +2 rage, +2 accurate stance)
Melee Damage (+1 keen spear): 1d8+22 (+12 str, +1 enhancement, +6 power attack, +2 rage, +1 peg leg)
13/17 rds Rage remaining


Male CG human magus 9 | CMB: 9, CMD: 21 | F: +10, R: +7, W: +9 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10, SM +1 | Speed 30ft |

Markizio swam close to the jellyfish and added his enhanced blade to the mix.

--------------
move and cast shocking grasp with spellcombat

falcata to hit, power attack, arcane strike: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 10 - 2 = 26
damage: 1d8 + 4 + 2 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 2 + 4 + (5) = 20
spell damage: 5d6 ⇒ (2, 1, 5, 3, 1) = 12
critical?
falcata to hit, power attack, arcane strike: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 10 - 2 = 13, probably not

stats:

HP 67/67
AC 21, touch 13, flat-footed 19
Conditions: shocking burst on blade, shield so AC=25
Melee (+1 keen falcata): +10/+5 = +1(magical) +6(base) +3(STR)
Melee Damage (+1 keen falcata): 1d8+4 = +1(weapon) +3 (str), 17-20, x3
+2 dam if arcane strike, -2/+4 if 1H power attack
4/8 arcane pool
Spell used: alter self, shocking grasp, shield


Are you sure you want to do that?

Niobe, Kung & Markizio finish the jellyfish of with efficient brutality. After healing up you finish searching the sunken bow.

Loot:

Silver inlaid Sextant - 1000gp.
Oil of Slipstream.

A hidden chest with the ships cash. 155pp. 1486gp. 3172sp. 781cp.

Several small, sturdy metal drums containing fine oils - 2 points of plunder.
Carefully padded packing cases holding sealed bottles of potent liquor - 1 point of plunder.

While the Brine Banshee’s bow holds some treasure, it provides no clues as to the secret of the ship’s speed and maneuverability. In addition, the ring of the iron skull indicates that Vargus’s remains lie within the rift in the sea floor.

Niobe can advise you on the perils of the deeper waters. The time taken to search the bow means you would be heading deeper the next day, so spells and abilities are refreshed.

You must journey down into the rift, which plummets to a depth of 180 feet. The water temperature drops as you venture deeper, light from the
surface far above fades away into darkness, and the weight of the water above crushes against your bodies.

The lightless depths are a hostile and alien environment. At the bottom of the chasm, the rift’s walls narrow and slope inwards, forming a ravine of pitch-black freezing water. The floor drops away at the northwest end into a vast sinkhole that continues even deeper underwater.


Male N Human (Ulfen) Skald (Dragon Skald) 10 | HP: 72/93, DR 1/- | AC: 23 (Tch 14, Fl 23) | CMB: +11, CMD: 23 | F +12, R: +8, W: +12 (+4 vs fear) | Init: +4 | Perc: +18, SM: +17 | Speed 30ft | Raging Song: 19/24 | Spells: 1st 6/6, 2nd 3/5, 3rd 2/4, 4th 1/2, Spell Kenning 1/1 | Battle Cry 4/4, Lore Master 0/1 | Default stats only - see stats spoiler for current status

Yet again Marnir is too slow through the water and the jellyfish dies before he can land a blow.

A search of the Banshee's bow provides a reasonable amount of loot but no body, and no clues as to the ship's speed.

"I suppose we'll have to go down there," Marnir suggests, pointing into the depths. "Niobe, have you ever been that deep? What's it like?"


Are you sure you want to do that?

I won't bother with a knowledge roll or hiding this info. Niobe lives in this environment. She can tell you all this.

At depths below 100 feet, the temperature and pressure of the water deal damage to unprotected characters. The pressure deals 1d6 points of damage per minute to creatures unused to the depth, and the water is very
cold, dealing 1d6 points of nonlethal damage per minute to those without endure elements or some other magical protection from cold. Freedom of movement, or magic items such as a pearl of the sirines or plate armor of the deep can help mitigate these effects.


Female Merfolk Druid (Nature Priest, Skinshaper) 10 | 45/73 HP | AC 22 T 14 FF 20 | Fort +11 Ref +7 Will +13 | Initiative +2 | Perception +19 | Skinshaping 4/5 | War Blessing: Nobility 1/1, Water 1/1

Niobe pauses, and thinks about how to explain.

"The deeper you go, the darker and colder it gets. It also gets stranger. At a hundred feet, even two hundred feet, it's dark and cold, but it's still... recognizable. Sharks, whales, fishes. All that sort of stuff. But if you go further down, it becomes... pelagic. Abyssal. It's hard to breathe, even if you breathe water. You see funny things, your extremities tingle. The things that live down there are tough, thick, clever and evil. Tentacled. Spiky. Blind."

"It's not just mollusks and squids. When you slip into the chasms in the depths, there are... things that make you go mad. Things from a different time, that want to destroy the world."

She shudders for a moment, then perkily says, "So! Anyone need water breathing again today?"

DM, the Aquatic Adventures sourcebook has rules for pressure changes. I can prepare a few spells that handle pressure adaptation if it's necessary, but I don't know if we're going that far down. EDIT: I see you answered the question as I was writing the post!

Team: I have one freedom of movement from my domain, and I normally prepare a communal resist energy so I can give us all protection vs. cold.


Are you sure you want to do that?

But nowhere near as atmospherically as you. :)


Male CG human magus 9 | CMB: 9, CMD: 21 | F: +10, R: +7, W: +9 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10, SM +1 | Speed 30ft |

Markizio did not like the sound of the deep at all, "Sounds like it's a place we should avoid." He turned to their 'guide', "Again, why exactly are we doing this? What treasure is supposed to be down there?"

He then turned to Niobe, "I think my magic will protect me. I will make sure to have a spare in case the exploration takes too long."

------------
will alter self into a merman or gillman protect against depth issues?


Are you sure you want to do that?
Markizio Voralius wrote:

Markizio did not like the sound of the deep at all, "Sounds like it's a place we should avoid." He turned to their 'guide', "Again, why exactly are we doing this? What treasure is supposed to be down there?"

He then turned to Niobe, "I think my magic will protect me. I will make sure to have a spare in case the exploration takes too long."

------------
will alter self into a merman or gillman protect against depth issues?

Game Mastery Guide - Fast-Play Ship Combat wrote:

Natural Adaptation: Any creature that has the aquatic subtype can breathe water easily and is unaffected by water temperature extremes that are found in that creature's typical environment. Aquatic creatures and creatures with the hold breath ability are much more resistant to pressure damage; they do not suffer damage from pressure unless they are moved instantaneously from one depth to another in the blink of an eye (in which case they adapt to the pressure change after successfully making five successive Fortitude saves against the pressure effects).

So yes, you and Niobe have no problems with the pressure and the cold.

The Helm of underwater action creates a bubble of air around the head of the user, so Kung still has the problem.


Male N Human (Ulfen) Skald (Dragon Skald) 10 | HP: 72/93, DR 1/- | AC: 23 (Tch 14, Fl 23) | CMB: +11, CMD: 23 | F +12, R: +8, W: +12 (+4 vs fear) | Init: +4 | Perc: +18, SM: +17 | Speed 30ft | Raging Song: 19/24 | Spells: 1st 6/6, 2nd 3/5, 3rd 2/4, 4th 1/2, Spell Kenning 1/1 | Battle Cry 4/4, Lore Master 0/1 | Default stats only - see stats spoiler for current status

Marnir shudders at Niobe's colourful description of the depths of the ocean. "Sounds like a place filled with danger and horrors," he says, an edge of fear creeping into his voice. "We'll need a lot or protection if what you say is true."

Alter self is only 1 min/level, and doesn't confer the aquatic type, so it's not much use. Monstrous physique I does confer the aquatic type, but again is only 1 min/level. Life bubble does everything except give a swim speed, and Niobe could cast that on those of us who aren't protected from the cold or pressure. Most of the spells I can find that grant a swim speed are only min/level, and I'm not sure how much we can get done in 8 minutes at that depth.


Male CG human magus 9 | CMB: 9, CMD: 21 | F: +10, R: +7, W: +9 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10, SM +1 | Speed 30ft |
Marnir Saltvig wrote:
Alter self is only 1 min/level, and doesn't confer the aquatic type, so it's not much use.

I liked the GM's interpretation better. :) Work with us, captain! :)

Seriously now, we'll figure out a way if alter self is not doable. Part of the fun in these games is overcoming challenges...

Official ruling, oh wise GM?


Male CN Half-Orc Barbarian 8, Rogue 2 | HP: 96/110 | AC: 23 (14 Tch, 20 Fl) | DR 1/- | CMB: +15, CMD: 29 (26 Fl) | F: +14, R: +12, W: +6 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM +4 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: see Stats spoiler in posts (other than hp, stats shown here are default stats only)

Kung's interest is definitely piqued when Niobe describes the... interesting... horrors in the depth below. He's not sure about the math that Niobe described, though, so can't quite parse if they'll be in the depths with just sharks and other normal stuff, or if it will be the cooler stuff. He's definitely hoping it's the cooler stuff. See things? Make mad? Other time? Kung not even know what that look like!

"Kung not like sound of pressure. But maybe okay; Kung strong. OK to try, Kung think." He nods at Marnir. "But more 'tection always good. Captain smart. Make us strongest, then go down."


Female Merfolk Druid (Nature Priest, Skinshaper) 10 | 45/73 HP | AC 22 T 14 FF 20 | Fort +11 Ref +7 Will +13 | Initiative +2 | Perception +19 | Skinshaping 4/5 | War Blessing: Nobility 1/1, Water 1/1

Niobe takes a moment to place another healing touch on Kung as the group is strategizing over dinner.

Cure light wounds: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Since you get your level back overnight you should be ok, Kung.


Male N Human (Ulfen) Skald (Dragon Skald) 10 | HP: 72/93, DR 1/- | AC: 23 (Tch 14, Fl 23) | CMB: +11, CMD: 23 | F +12, R: +8, W: +12 (+4 vs fear) | Init: +4 | Perc: +18, SM: +17 | Speed 30ft | Raging Song: 19/24 | Spells: 1st 6/6, 2nd 3/5, 3rd 2/4, 4th 1/2, Spell Kenning 1/1 | Battle Cry 4/4, Lore Master 0/1 | Default stats only - see stats spoiler for current status

The discussion about magical protection from the deeps continues for a few more minutes until everyone is satisfied that they can survive at least the cold and the pressure.

"Not much we can do about whatever horrors might be waiting for us while we stand around up here," Marnir says. "Let's get some spells cast, and then it's time to dive in."

Marnir will cast heroism on himself, as it lasts 80 minutes.


Are you sure you want to do that?

One last question. What are you using for light? It's pitch black down there.

Place yourself on the new map up top please. Brine banshee stern. Also tell me how far you are from the bottom? It's resting at 180' down.


Male N Human (Ulfen) Skald (Dragon Skald) 10 | HP: 72/93, DR 1/- | AC: 23 (Tch 14, Fl 23) | CMB: +11, CMD: 23 | F +12, R: +8, W: +12 (+4 vs fear) | Init: +4 | Perc: +18, SM: +17 | Speed 30ft | Raging Song: 19/24 | Spells: 1st 6/6, 2nd 3/5, 3rd 2/4, 4th 1/2, Spell Kenning 1/1 | Battle Cry 4/4, Lore Master 0/1 | Default stats only - see stats spoiler for current status

I can cast dancing lights. It's not ideal underwater I expect, but the multiple light sources should give us a reasonable sphere of light.


Male CG human magus 9 | CMB: 9, CMD: 21 | F: +10, R: +7, W: +9 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10, SM +1 | Speed 30ft |

Markizio enjoyed the air bubble covering his body. He struggled to keep up with some of the others on the way down but once more transformed himself into a merman when they reached the sunken ship.

-------------
cast alter self and shield once at the ship

stats:

HP 67/67
AC 21, touch 13, flat-footed 19
Conditions: alter self, shield so AC=25
Melee (+1 keen falcata): +10/+5 = +1(magical) +6(base) +3(STR)
Melee Damage (+1 keen falcata): 1d8+4 = +1(weapon) +3 (str), 17-20, x3
+2 dam if arcane strike, -2/+4 if 1H power attack
4/8 arcane pool
Spell used: alter self, shield


Male CN Half-Orc Barbarian 8, Rogue 2 | HP: 96/110 | AC: 23 (14 Tch, 20 Fl) | DR 1/- | CMB: +15, CMD: 29 (26 Fl) | F: +14, R: +12, W: +6 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM +4 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: see Stats spoiler in posts (other than hp, stats shown here are default stats only)

Kung swims down next to Markizio, staying close to his friend at least until they are down at the ship.

(I marked him as -160' down, guessing that would put us even with the top deck. If we should be higher or lower than that, that was my goal; swimming about at the same height as the upper-most deck of the Brine Banshee.)


Female Merfolk Druid (Nature Priest, Skinshaper) 10 | 45/73 HP | AC 22 T 14 FF 20 | Fort +11 Ref +7 Will +13 | Initiative +2 | Perception +19 | Skinshaping 4/5 | War Blessing: Nobility 1/1, Water 1/1

"I can see in the dark depths, but you'll probably need light," says Niobe. "Bringing light down will tend to attract things. But I guess we're looking for trouble anyway."


Female Gnome Alchemist/Witch 8/2 || HP 84/84 || AC:19 T:13 FF:17 || F:12 R:11 W:8 || Initiative +3 | Perception +14 | Stealth +27 Gnome
Attack:
[dice=Bomb]1d20+11[/dice] [dice=Dmg]4d4+3[/dice] 5 dmg splash, DC 14 Ref [dice=dazed]1d4[/dice]
CB:
[dice=Crossbow]1d20+9[/dice]Human +2[dice=Dmg]1d8+3[/dice][dice=Humans]2d6[/dice]

Jane smiles. "If there is time and a need, Alchemy can provide alternatives to just about anything. I could make Sunrods, a stick that you snap and shake, that lightens up the area. Even a chewable wax that acts like air. thinking for a moment, "I could also enchant a pair of goggles to see in the dark.... if I had the right spells and tools."


Are you sure you want to do that?

Gm Screen:

Random: 1d5 ⇒ 1
Bullrush: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (19) + 19 = 38

The feeling of being in an alien environment is heavy on you. You float in a small bubble of light, all around you is cold, black water. The wreckage of the Banshee suddenly comes into your lights, looking bleak and washed out.

As you scan the wreckage a sudden movement shocks you all, flashing from the suffocating darkness and large, black figure slams into Kung driving him away from you and almost out of your lights.

Knowledge Nature DC17:

Black water Charda. Bestiary 2. PG 55.
It looks like a Black water Charda, only twice the size they normally are? It's bite adds cold damage, it has 4 claw attacks.
Black Bile (Su) A charda’s body seethes with freezing black bile. Its supernaturally cold, black bile is the source of the additional cold damage when a charda bites a creature. As a standard action, a charda can expel its full store of bile as a breath weapon that can take the form of a 60-foot line or a 30-foot cone. All creatures in this area take 8d6 points of cold damage (DC 18 Reflex half ). A charda can use this breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds—while its black bile is recharging, it does not deal additional cold damage with its bite. The
save DC is Constitution-based.
Cold Vigor (Ex) When a charda is in a cold environment, it becomes more animated and gains a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls and weapon damage rolls.
Overwhelming (Ex) A charda gains a +8 racial bonus on bull rush and trip attacks.

What are you doing now?


Female Merfolk Druid (Nature Priest, Skinshaper) 10 | 45/73 HP | AC 22 T 14 FF 20 | Fort +11 Ref +7 Will +13 | Initiative +2 | Perception +19 | Skinshaping 4/5 | War Blessing: Nobility 1/1, Water 1/1

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17

"After him!" shouts Niobe. "It'll carry Kung away and eat him!"

Move 50' to follow, standard action to cast reach communal resist energy to give everyone Resist Cold 20. Since it's Close range I can hit anyone within 55', so that should let me get Kung and the rest of the team.


Male CN Half-Orc Barbarian 8, Rogue 2 | HP: 96/110 | AC: 23 (14 Tch, 20 Fl) | DR 1/- | CMB: +15, CMD: 29 (26 Fl) | F: +14, R: +12, W: +6 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM +4 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: see Stats spoiler in posts (other than hp, stats shown here are default stats only)

Kung is startled, bowled back by the sudden appearance of this strange creature.

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Tales of chardas, remarkably, had reached Chalk Harbor. But Kung thought Charda small--smaller than Kung--not big giant like this. His body naturally found his bearing as his mind has wandered to those past tales, the Helm making this easy and simple, as if he were on land but floating. He draws his spear back and plunges it forward in a furious and angry strike.

Actions:

Move: Accurate Stance
Standard: Attack

+1 keen spear: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (6) + 20 = 26
Damage, P: 1d8 + 20 ⇒ (4) + 20 = 24


Stats:

HP 86+16/86
AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 16 (+6 armor, +3 dex, +1 natural, +1 deflection, -2 rage)
Speed: 40 ft (30 ft swim)
Fort: +13, Ref: +12, Will: +8 (+2 rage)
All saves: +5 competance vs. spells/-like (superstition)
Conditions: rage, accurate stance, grudge fighter
Melee (+1 keen spear): +20/+13 (+7 BAB, +7 str, +1 enhancement, -0/-2 power attack, +2 rage, +2 accurate stance/competance, +1 grudge fighter/morale)
Melee Damage (+1 keen spear): 1d8+20 (+10 str, +1 enhancement, +6 power attack, +2 rage, +1 grudge fighter - morale)
16/17 rds Rage remaining


Female Merfolk Druid (Nature Priest, Skinshaper) 10 | 45/73 HP | AC 22 T 14 FF 20 | Fort +11 Ref +7 Will +13 | Initiative +2 | Perception +19 | Skinshaping 4/5 | War Blessing: Nobility 1/1, Water 1/1

Just saw the map - I don't have to go the whole 50', so that's nice. :)


Male N Human (Ulfen) Skald (Dragon Skald) 10 | HP: 72/93, DR 1/- | AC: 23 (Tch 14, Fl 23) | CMB: +11, CMD: 23 | F +12, R: +8, W: +12 (+4 vs fear) | Init: +4 | Perc: +18, SM: +17 | Speed 30ft | Raging Song: 19/24 | Spells: 1st 6/6, 2nd 3/5, 3rd 2/4, 4th 1/2, Spell Kenning 1/1 | Battle Cry 4/4, Lore Master 0/1 | Default stats only - see stats spoiler for current status

Marnir waits patiently as Niobe casts all of her spells then dives in with everyone else.

The water is warm and bright to start with, but rapidly becomes darker and colder as they descend into the deep. Marnir pulls out Zul as he swims, ready to take on whatever nameless horrors might await them.

Suddenly an enormous black creature appears out of the darkness, charging into Kung and slamming him away from the group. Already on edge in the dark water Marnir gets a spell off at astounding speed, his spellcasting aided by the protective bubble of air around him. He then grips his trident in both hands and makes his way towards the creature.

Standard Action to cast haste on everyone, then Move Action to swim 15ft towards the creature now that my speed is 60ft.

Stats:

HP 75/75
AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 23 (+7 armour, +1 deflection, +2 Dex, +1 dodge, +1 natural armour, +1 dodge [haste])
Speed: 60ft with haste
Fort: +12, Ref: +9, Will: +12 (+4 vs fear)
Conditions: heroism, haste
Melee (Zul): +14/+9 (+6 BAB, +4 Str, +1 enhancement, +2 morale [heroism], +1 untyped [haste])
Melee Damage (Zul): 1d8+9 (+6 Str, +1 enhancement, +2 Arcane Strike)
20/20 rds Raging Song remaining


Female Gnome Alchemist/Witch 8/2 || HP 84/84 || AC:19 T:13 FF:17 || F:12 R:11 W:8 || Initiative +3 | Perception +14 | Stealth +27 Gnome
Attack:
[dice=Bomb]1d20+11[/dice] [dice=Dmg]4d4+3[/dice] 5 dmg splash, DC 14 Ref [dice=dazed]1d4[/dice]
CB:
[dice=Crossbow]1d20+9[/dice]Human +2[dice=Dmg]1d8+3[/dice][dice=Humans]2d6[/dice]

Not wanting to waste any of her beloved spells. Jane swims after the two, double if she needs to.


Male CG human magus 9 | CMB: 9, CMD: 21 | F: +10, R: +7, W: +9 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10, SM +1 | Speed 30ft |

The violence of the attack startled the magus. He quickly recovered by enhancing his blade and attacked the monster.

-------------
swift to add shocking burst and full round attack

falcata, power attack: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (4) + 10 - 2 = 12
damage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 4 + (6) = 17
falcata, power attack: 1d20 + 5 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 5 - 2 = 19
damage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 4 + (6) = 18
haste
falcata, power attack: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 10 - 2 = 19
damage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 4 + (5) = 20

stats:

HP 67/67
AC 21, touch 13, flat-footed 19
Conditions: alter self, shield so AC=25, shocking burst
Melee (+1 keen falcata): +10/+5 = +1(magical) +6(base) +3(STR)
Melee Damage (+1 keen falcata): 1d8+4 = +1(weapon) +3 (str), 17-20, x3
+2 dam if arcane strike, -2/+4 if 1H power attack
7/8 arcane pool
Spell used: alter self, shield


Are you sure you want to do that?

Kung reacts with his usual lethal speed, slamming his spear deep into the Chard'as gut.

Markizio groaned in frustration as his strike skidded off the tough scales armoring the Charda however.

GM screen:

Will save Kung: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Will save Markizio: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Something feels off about their attacks and both Kung & Markzio blink in surprise as the Charda seems to flicker then shrink, revealing a still larger than normal Charda, but now only half the size it had seemed to be?

Spellcraft DC21:

The Charda had the Veil spell cast on it.

Ignoring Markizio the Charda continues to attack Kung savagely.
Bite: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24 Damage + Freezing cold: 1d8 + 5 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 5 + (6) = 14
Claw: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (10) + 16 = 26 Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Claw: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (3) + 16 = 19 Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Claw: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (1) + 16 = 17
Claw: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (6) + 16 = 22 Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Kung takes a total of 45hp damage

The party may now act


Male N Human (Ulfen) Skald (Dragon Skald) 10 | HP: 72/93, DR 1/- | AC: 23 (Tch 14, Fl 23) | CMB: +11, CMD: 23 | F +12, R: +8, W: +12 (+4 vs fear) | Init: +4 | Perc: +18, SM: +17 | Speed 30ft | Raging Song: 19/24 | Spells: 1st 6/6, 2nd 3/5, 3rd 2/4, 4th 1/2, Spell Kenning 1/1 | Battle Cry 4/4, Lore Master 0/1 | Default stats only - see stats spoiler for current status

Marnir draws his trident back ready to strike when the creature suddenly and rapidly shrinks. His bewilderment lasts a few moments, and he is snapped out of it by the creature's savage attacks on Kung.

"Hold on Kung! Marnir calls as he dives towards the creature, trident first.

Swift Action to use Arcane Strike, Move Action to swim up to the charda (cursed lack of swim speed!), Standard Action to stab it.

Zul attack: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (1) + 14 = 15

His blow barely scratches the thing's scales, and Marnir readies for another attack.

Stats:

HP 75/75
AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 23 (+7 armour, +1 deflection, +2 Dex, +1 dodge, +1 natural armour, +1 dodge [haste])
Speed: 60ft with haste
Fort: +12, Ref: +9, Will: +12 (+4 vs fear)
Conditions: heroism, haste
Melee (Zul): +14/+9 (+6 BAB, +4 Str, +1 enhancement, +2 morale [heroism], +1 untyped [haste])
Melee Damage (Zul): 1d8+9 (+6 Str, +1 enhancement, +2 Arcane Strike)
20/20 rds Raging Song remaining


Female Gnome Alchemist/Witch 8/2 || HP 84/84 || AC:19 T:13 FF:17 || F:12 R:11 W:8 || Initiative +3 | Perception +14 | Stealth +27 Gnome
Attack:
[dice=Bomb]1d20+11[/dice] [dice=Dmg]4d4+3[/dice] 5 dmg splash, DC 14 Ref [dice=dazed]1d4[/dice]
CB:
[dice=Crossbow]1d20+9[/dice]Human +2[dice=Dmg]1d8+3[/dice][dice=Humans]2d6[/dice]

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Jane looks the spell is cast "Veil was cast. This is its true form.".

Jane moves up and attacks with her short sword. Tries to flank as well.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16 Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Male CG human magus 9 | CMB: 9, CMD: 21 | F: +10, R: +7, W: +9 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10, SM +1 | Speed 30ft |

Markizio redoubled his effort to get his friend out of the clutches of the monster.

He added magic to his strikes and slashed with renewed vigor.

-----------
swift to add aquatic agility and full round attack with spellcombat and spellstrike

cast defensively shocking grasp DC 17: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (17) + 14 = 31

falcata, power attack, spellcombat: 1d20 + 10 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 10 - 2 - 2 = 25
damage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 4 + (5) = 19
falcata, power attack, spellcombat: 1d20 + 5 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 5 - 2 - 2 = 21
damage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 4 + (4) = 16
spellstrike
falcata, power attack, spell combat: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 10 - 2 = 23
damage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 4 + (5) = 20
damage: 5d6 ⇒ (2, 2, 4, 2, 4) = 14
haste
falcata, power attack, spell combat: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 10 - 2 = 10
damage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + 4 + 4 + (1) = 17

criticals?
falcata, power attack, spellcombat: 1d20 + 10 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 10 - 2 - 2 = 26
damage: 2d8 + 8 + 8 + 2d10 ⇒ (7, 2) + 8 + 8 + (7, 10) = 42
falcata, power attack, spellcombat: 1d20 + 5 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 5 - 2 - 2 = 20
damage: 2d8 + 8 + 8 + 2d10 ⇒ (4, 2) + 8 + 8 + (1, 3) = 26

stats:

HP 67/67
AC 21, touch 13, flat-footed 19
Conditions: alter self, shield so AC=25, shocking burst, aquatic agility
Melee (+1 keen falcata): +10/+5 = +1(magical) +6(base) +3(STR)
Melee Damage (+1 keen falcata): 1d8+4 = +1(weapon) +3 (str), 17-20, x3
+2 dam if arcane strike, -2/+4 if 1H power attack
6/8 arcane pool
Spell used: alter self, shield, shocking grasp

that's a lot of dice rolling...


Are you sure you want to do that?

Enraged by his poor display Markizio unleashes a stunning flurry of swordwork and slices the Charda into pieces.

The waters go still again and the pieces of the Charda drift to the bottom.

What are you doing now?


Male CN Half-Orc Barbarian 8, Rogue 2 | HP: 96/110 | AC: 23 (14 Tch, 20 Fl) | DR 1/- | CMB: +15, CMD: 29 (26 Fl) | F: +14, R: +12, W: +6 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13, SM +4 | Speed 40ft | Active conditions: see Stats spoiler in posts (other than hp, stats shown here are default stats only)

Kung doesn't take the cold damage, due to Niobe's communal resist energy, correct? So he's down 39 instead of 45, if my calculations are correct, then the first 16 of that comes off the rage hp, leaving him down 23 total.

As the blood from Markizio's precision display of swordwork overflows him, Kung lets his own rage fall away. He looks towards the ship, but feeling the fatigue of his rage, he lets others lead the way. 1 minute of fatigue. Kung has a lesser restoration potion in a potion sponge, so can eliminate that fatigue if necessary. But he'll save that until he needs it.

Stats:

HP 63/86
AC 20, touch 13, flat-footed 18 (+6 armor, +2 dex, +1 natural, +1 deflection)
Speed: 40 ft (30 ft swim)
Fort: +13, Ref: +11, Will: +6
Conditions: fatigue
Melee (+1 keen spear): +13/+6 (+7 BAB, +5 str, +1 enhancement, -0/-2 power attack)
Melee Damage (+1 keen spear): 1d8+14 (+7 str, +1 enhancement, +6 power attack)
16/17 rds Rage remaining
9/10 rds Fatigue remaining


Male CG human magus 9 | CMB: 9, CMD: 21 | F: +10, R: +7, W: +9 | Init: +4 | Perc: +10, SM +1 | Speed 30ft |

Markizio made the others wait until Kung caught his breath, "You're hurt again big guy. You need to be healed. I don't want to fight with you by my side if you're injured and we can heal you."

He asked Niobe to patch up Kung, "This isn't over. We have a whole or half a ship to search."

----------
ready to explore once Kung is ready. I guess we search from top to bottom, starting with B1? Although we could get in the lower levels quicker by swimming through the broken side... I vote in order though.


Female Merfolk Druid (Nature Priest, Skinshaper) 10 | 45/73 HP | AC 22 T 14 FF 20 | Fort +11 Ref +7 Will +13 | Initiative +2 | Perception +19 | Skinshaping 4/5 | War Blessing: Nobility 1/1, Water 1/1

Niobe dutifully draws her wand and provides healing to the hefty half-orc.

My Resist Energy didn't go off until after Kung was hit, I'm afraid.

Cure light wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Cure light wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Cure light wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Cure light wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Cure light wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Cure light wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Cure light wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Cure light wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Cure light wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Cure light wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

2,901 to 2,950 of 3,917 << first < prev | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM_DBH's Scurvy swabs for the Shackles. The game. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.