Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Skallywags and Picaroons: A Skull & Shackles Campaign (Inactive)

Game Master PirateDevon


601 to 650 of 1,616 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>

Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

"Hey I can chop vegetables as well as the next person..Back in theOrphanage in Riddleport the Sisters of Sarenrae made us learn these things..and we got beaten if we didnt work hard enough..just tell me what you want done and I'll do it..and your right no point in antagonising Plugg until " her voice drops to a bare whisper "until it is time to take him and his friends out of the picture"


Quillin: You can take ten on skill checks so if you have a rank in cook, no problem. Not if you default to an ability check. (OR so I understand but I could be wrong...)

Food goes over well enough and in the echo of Plugg's speech its probably the only thing that's gone right today. After the meal some fast evening chores are assigned and then the crew is shuttered below.

In the few flickering lamps Plugg's lot takes to a quiet game of dice near the stairs to the next deck, the rest of your friends gather at the other end, eager to get your group's attention to share a conversation. Quinn cracks a sideways grin at the lot of you, So this is fun.


Male Vanara Druid (Aquatic) 2 HP 19 / 21; AC 17/12/15; F+3/R+4/W+7; Init +3; Per +8

Ajani twists back and forth a few times, his spinal column giving a few quiet pops as he stretches his sore muscles. "'Fun' indeed. I cannot say I am horribly surprised by the treatment, but the harshness of it is still something to marvel at. I do not believe that our half of the crew will be able to continue on like this for any significant length of time."


Male Vanara Druid (Aquatic) 2 HP 19 / 21; AC 17/12/15; F+3/R+4/W+7; Init +3; Per +8

Devon, I accidentally rolled a d6 instead of a d8 for my lv. 3 HD. Rolled a 1, which I'll keep if you want, but I figured I'd mention it all the same.


M Gnome Conjurer

Quillin leans in to whisper, "Anyone have any idea what the 'New Plan' might be?"


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Freebooter) 3

Fjori, exhausted from his day at the bilge pump sits beside the Owlbear rubbing his sore muscles. "Anytime someone is ready for a change in management just let me know!! I cannot wait to stick that little turd Plugg into the bilge!! Right where he belongs."


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

Mel lays a finger to her lips.."Shhh..you never know who might be listening..as it stands they have a slight advantage in numbers..I don't know how many off you are favour of a few accidents to lessen that difference. but the idiot made Quillan the cook which means he doesn't regard him as much of a threat...even with the power to poison the entire crew"


Male Human (Qadira) Sorcerer 3 (Seaborn Bloodline)

"Our little brother is right," says Hassan, in a hushed tone. "We must move cautiously, but quickly also thinks Hassan. If Plugg still rules this ship in three days time, we will not live to see land again. But poison is a coward's weapon. If that is the tool that is used, none will respect the authority of the new captain, whomever that may be."

"It is my thinking that we must instigate a confrontation. Humiliate them again as when Bart beat the Owlbear. Now there is no Harrigan to cool heads. When they are angry, then they will be rash. When they are rash, they will be making many mistakes. And then will be our time to strike. That is what Hassan says."


M Gnome Conjurer

"And Quillin says cool your heels, Hassan. I'm not for poison, too iffy, but I'm certainly not looking for a face-to-face confrontation as you're saying. Take your time, wait for the right opportunity. I have a couple magical cards up my sleeves. Just wait."


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

"I'm not saying we should poison anyone..just give 'em a damn good gut-ache to even the odds a little.Let's be on our guard anyway..stick together...don't be found alone..and watch yourselves in the rigging..I suspect Plugg might have arranged some accidents for us"


Male Vanara Druid (Aquatic) 2 HP 19 / 21; AC 17/12/15; F+3/R+4/W+7; Init +3; Per +8

"I agree that we should not try anything rash. We should not be looking to make even worse enemies, if it were possible. We are currently outnumbered by those on Plugg's side. Additionally, they are likely more skilled in combat...or at least, Plugg and Scourge are. They are not a threat I believe us capable of overtly opposing at this time. In this instance, I agree with Quillin. We should wait for the right opportunity. It may yet present itself."

"In the meantime, Mel has the right of it. We should make certain we don't go anywhere alone. Always have at least one other person who is on our side with you."


Quinn nods with the rest of you but holds up a hand, Could be you'll have an opportunity sooner than you think, my Queen tells me a squall the likes to turn boats and dash sailor's dreams is headed our way and if we aren't right on the lines we'll be tipped and left for the sea life...a lot can happen in a storm.

Ajani roll the right type die, remember to re-roll anything less than Con mod. Or you can take half die +1. Which should be PFS standard.


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

"Then we had best be ready for it..at least we know what is coming" Mel glances ver at the gamblers.."unlike them"

She glances at Quillan.."Best we damp down the cookfire before that squall hits..we dont want fire below and water above at the same time"

She looks at Quinn.."Do you know how long we have?"


Quinn shakes her head, Such things are never clear since the prophet God's fall. I see maybe the rising of a sun, or perhaps two.

Conchobar Shorstone interjects as Quinn makes her comment, This is all well and good but are you saying we should try to take over the ship? That lot are ruthless murdering types. I can use a blade and have a trick or two as well but you know Plugg and Scourge are sea hardened pirates?

Rosie Cusswell shoots a dark look at the gnome slapping her hand on the hilt of her axe but careful to keep her voice low, Aye but they bleed and an axe to the skull or a push to the drink ends a sailor of salt or a new born babe just the same.

The group breaks into a murmur as the rest of your compatriots offer varying degrees of concern or confidence. A few cast glances from Plugg's lot gets the group to calm itself down as Quinn makes to shush the loudest parties.


Male Human (Qadira) Sorcerer 3 (Seaborn Bloodline)

"It is my experience that situations are never quite as dire as they may seem. Surely the gods are looking down upon us and smiling my friends, because they know that soon we will be free of those villains." Hassan smiles broadly. "This is not where I am fated to die. Praise the many gods big and small, that day is still far away."

"I think perhaps we have pondered on this mystery long enough for tonight. Surely it is so that new answers will appear with the morning sun."


Male Vanara Druid (Aquatic) 2 HP 19 / 21; AC 17/12/15; F+3/R+4/W+7; Init +3; Per +8

Ajani listens in silence as the group discusses this new information provided to Quinn, taking in everyone's viewpoint before he divulges his own in a whisper. He thinks to himself about the best places on the ship to be when this storm hits, knowing that their preparedness will be key to their survival.

Profession (Sailor): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25
If Pro (Sailor) won't give Ajani the kind of info he's looking for, just let me know! I wasn't sure what the appropriate skill in this case would be.

Also, I'll just go with the PFS standard. I'd feel like I was cheating if I rolled the right die and got a high number.

"This new information on a coming storm changes the situation entirely. It is possible that we are the only ones who will be privy to this knowledge. As such, we should make the best use of it that we can. Obviously, share it with no one on the side of our enemies. If the reach of your senses is only the next day or two, that gives us a fair idea of how much time we have to prepare. We should call it a night for the moment, however. We do not wish to draw suspicion to ourselves by spending too much time in conversation near to Plugg's allies."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Fighter (Brawler) 3

Bart simply grins as the talk turns seriously to mutiny.

"I just might learn to like storms."


Ajani:
There are all sorts of things that can be done in this sort of situation, though most of it is in the hands of the gods if a swell hits as hard as Quinn thinks they can. Big things to do would be rope lash your group to the decks, stay low or below decks as best you can and trim down the lines and sails as narrow as possible. If high winds are an honest reality and you have the man power you can try to take down the main mast but absent certain tools or a LOT of manpower that is hard to pull off.

Everyone mutters their consent to call it a night leaving the small core group of you alone. Anything else or are we ready for tomorrow?


Male Human (Qadira) Sorcerer 3 (Seaborn Bloodline)

Ready.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Freebooter) 3

ready as well


Male Vanara Druid (Aquatic) 2 HP 19 / 21; AC 17/12/15; F+3/R+4/W+7; Init +3; Per +8

Ajani stays up several hours after everyone else goes to sleep, trying to think about the best way to keep everyone safe during the storm.

Ready!


M Gnome Conjurer

Quillin retires to his hammock with Smudge croaking a final, "Nighty-night" before the gnomes snores fill the air.


Hmm this thread is suspiciously a post short. How irritating, let us redo...

Morning comes fast with a series of less than pleasant gales of wind sending the boat to rock with an aggressive pitch. Your hammocks sway easily but the sensation still has an air of unease for even the hardiest sailor.

Above decks the spray and motion of the waves has become much more turbulent and it is clear that though a storm has not yet come, it is on its way. The clouds move erratically and already you can see the sails fill and drop at steady intervals as the wind changes at a moment's notice.

A hard day of sailing is ahead.

Plugg seems downright agitated and actually is out of character, snapping at those around him and failing to muster the morning speech to rather set you all on tasks with another cold breakfast of biscuit and, for his lackeys, a wedge of cheese.

Scourge and Nate set you on your work with their ever common hostility and the pace is outlandish once more.

Those who succeeded yesterday, DC 12 Con checks. Those who failed, DC 14 Con checks. Cook checks from the cooks. Let me know what else you might want to do this morning.


Male Vanara Druid (Aquatic) 2 HP 19 / 21; AC 17/12/15; F+3/R+4/W+7; Init +3; Per +8

Constitution Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

The work today is too much for the Vanara after the back-breaking day before, the heat of the sun and the blistering pace quickly eating whatever energy he may've gotten from the biscuit.

Ajani will spend as much time as he can trying to figure out a way to hide a length of rope on his body where it cannot be seen tied around his waist, with enough slack to lash himself to something. He wants desperately to figure this thing out before the oncoming storm hits so he can pass the word on to his compatriots.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Freebooter) 3

Constitution Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

The days in the bilge are beginning to wear the mighty Nord down. The backbreaking work at the pump and the cramped, smelly quarters are chipping away at his resolve and strength.

Would the feat Endurance assist in this roll? If it would, then he would get a +4 rather then a +2 to his roll.


Yes fjori it would


Male Human (Chelaxian) Fighter (Brawler) 3

Con check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Bart sets to his appointed tasks. The sun bears down on him, and though he had not yet accustomed himself to the harder pace the day prior, his difficulties seem to almost had made him work all the harder today.


Male Human (Qadira) Sorcerer 3 (Seaborn Bloodline)

Constitution => 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Hassan also takes whatever opportunity presents itself to help himself to a length of rope, one end of which he ties around his waist.


Male Vanara Druid (Aquatic) 2 HP 19 / 21; AC 17/12/15; F+3/R+4/W+7; Init +3; Per +8

Just to make sure I was clear, Ajani isn't going to mess around with the rope unless he's fairly certain there is no one else around.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Fighter (Brawler) 3

Just to be clear with everyone gathering rope, Devon, we got all our starting gear we got at character creation back while we were aboard the Wormwood, correct? I ask, because Bart has some rope in his inventory, and I want to make sure I should be having that.


M Gnome Conjurer

Quillin busies himself in the galley with food preparation which seems almost rote at this point. (take 10 = 14) He turns to his assistant at one point and sighs, "Imagine me as a scullery maid. I used to be part of one of the biggest..., um, never mind. I'm just saying that my prodigious talents could be better used."


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

Mell staggers slightly under the weight of a sack of..something.."Well it could be worse, we could be pumping the bilges or up in the rigging..."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Fighter (Brawler) 3

Ignore my previous post, GM. Turns out I don't have rope in my inv. Must have been getting him confused with one of my other characters.


Ajani, Hassan and Fjori struggle through the day, the previous day's efforts finally taking their toll as the pace of work continues to be extreme.All three of you are fatigued. If you can get some sleep you will lose that condition but for now note the effect. Bart weathers the work much better and keeps up with his tasks.

As the day wears on hot sun turns to black sky as the clouds overtake the ship. Visibility on the water drops to mere yards off the ship as fog, spray and roiling seas take over the Promise. Moods turn sour as the ship pitches on the seas.

Below decks cooking becomes near impossible beyond a point but Mel and Quillin manage to put something together.

Ajani and Hassan manage to secure enough rope in their comings and goings that they think they will be ready if things get much worse.

Plugg and Scourge seem confident of their course and continue to direct the bulk of the crew into the lines to account for the ever changing wind. Quinn however looks more somber and manages to corner Ajani in the late afternoon, Tonight or the morning it will come to a head. If they keep us in the lines we will surely die but they won't listen. We need to hole up or do something else...


Male Vanara Druid (Aquatic) 2 HP 19 / 21; AC 17/12/15; F+3/R+4/W+7; Init +3; Per +8

Ajani seems to have sensed the worsening storm and nods in agreement with Quinn's assessment of how much time they have left. "It does seem that the stubborn fools will see us all dead before listening to any wisdom from us or the Pirate Queen. Unfortunately, tonight or in the morning is a fairly substantial window of time. Were it nigh upon us, I would suggest everyone grab some rope and lash themselves to the deck. As it is, I believe making something else a more pressing issue may be the best option, though I'm unsure of what could be more pressing than this storm. Is there time to try and locate a suitable hiding place for all of us below deck?"


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Freebooter) 3

"I think it is time for a change in command of this vessel. If we do nothing we are all in peril. I will not sit by and let them wreck this ship."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Fighter (Brawler) 3

Bart cracks his knuckles, clearly liking the sound of Fjori's idea.


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

"We are still outmanned...the best thing to do would be ensure we survive this storm and hope that a few off Pluggs men go over the side."


M Gnome Conjurer

Quillin cackles, "Why just hope? It does get dangerous in a storm; it might get pretty slippery out there, ropes break, things fall. It'd just be too bad if something happened to a couple of the opposition..."


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Freebooter) 3

Fjori smiles at the gnomes idea. "Would not hurt to thin the herd at bit."


Male Vanara Druid (Aquatic) 2 HP 19 / 21; AC 17/12/15; F+3/R+4/W+7; Init +3; Per +8

"Agreed. Acts of sabotage may aid us in getting rid of a few more of Plugg's minions, though I must also stress the need to see ourselves to safety. Is there anywhere on-board that we and our allies could hide in relative safety while the storm rages? I have had no time, and have been too tired, to really try any serious exploration."


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

Mel looks at Ajani like one would at a small child..which is amusing given the 'Lad's' youth

"My guess is it will be all hands on deck once the storm hits...so just be ready with safety lines all off you"


Male Vanara Druid (Aquatic) 2 HP 19 / 21; AC 17/12/15; F+3/R+4/W+7; Init +3; Per +8

"Yes, of course that's the most likely option, but it'd also be much safer if we could manage to disappear at the storm's worst point. I have procured enough rope for a good safety line for one of us; my length of silk rope will do well enough for me. Regardless, of course keeping ourselves alive and on the ship is of primary importance. If we must tie ourselves off with safety lines to accomplish that, we will. A bowline knot is best for safety line; does everyone know how to tie one?"


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

"We hide ship sinks we all die...how about that for safety...stop being such a ..a."

Words fail Mel at the lack of sea sense Ajani is showing.

"Landlubber" she finally blurts out that being one of the worst insults someone can give a sailor


Male Vanara Druid (Aquatic) 2 HP 19 / 21; AC 17/12/15; F+3/R+4/W+7; Init +3; Per +8

Ajani seems more taken aback by the suddenly-aggressive attitude displayed by Mel than the actual insult. "You are correct in your assessment of course, though tossing about insults isn't likely to aid our situation either, nor foster a deeper sense of comraderie. We'd be better served refining our plan of survival. So let me ask again...does everyone know how to tie a bowline knot? Adding a hitch would further secure it.We should start making our final preparations now, so we all know what to do when the worst of it hits. We should try and be ready to trim the sails as much as possible, else the mainmast could be ripped off the ship by the wind."


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Freebooter) 3

"My friend, any salt worth the name knows how to tie any number of knots...but you will not want to be tied down if the ships starts to break up. I myself would rather keep unencumbered then be roped to possible flotsam and jetsam." Fjori tries to keep his comment light, but gives both Mel and Ajani a meaningful look.


M Gnome Conjurer

"Yeah monkey, I think we've all been around long enough to know the ropes... and knots by now. I'm probably the least experienced just because I've been in the galley most of our little pleasure cruise here. But don't you worry. I'll be making some preparations."

Quillin will switch spells to load up on invisibility, summoning, and grease.


Male Vanara Druid (Aquatic) 2 HP 19 / 21; AC 17/12/15; F+3/R+4/W+7; Init +3; Per +8

Ajani draws in a deep, steadying breath. "You are all correct, of course. My apologies. Bad storms tend to put my nerves on edge. When I was a child, I nearly died in a big storm...it was only thanks to a pirate's rescue that I survived. Any other advice that can be given would be helpful. I just want our chance of survival as high as possible. Miss Quinn, have you any words of wisdom for us?"


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

"We just do our jobs and trust that we come through this..like sailors always have"


The afternoon passes with little issue but the real "fun" begins as the hazy light of the sun, already well blocked by the storming skies, starts to fade.

The wind picks up to a howls and more than a line or two strains against its bonds as the gale and gusts drive the ship to rock hard even though the ship is set with the waves.

Plugg orders a openin on the sail to catch a northerly burst which actually leads to a protest from Tate himself but a lightning quick flash of the scourge at the bosun forces an "aye aye" as he orders the lot of you into the lines to try to catch the wind.

As the rain swirls about like a chaotic mist and the boat lists the lot of you can see your friends and allies tense as the order is given. "Topsail and main to 3/4, helm about to 15 degrees". The entire group of pirates in the lines literally stand still. Its Rosie Cuswell who turns to Ajani and says loud enough for the group to hear, Ajani? What do you think?

601 to 650 of 1,616 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dread Captain Devon's Perilous Pirate Adventure (AKA Skull & Shackles) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.