Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Skallywags and Picaroons: A Skull & Shackles Campaign (Inactive)

Game Master PirateDevon


501 to 550 of 1,616 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>

Only the one way down is visible but it is hard to see with fog and smoke...

As the bulk of you surge after Ajani the druid is practically bowled over as a group of escaping pirates emerge out of the billowing smoke from down the stairs....

Ajani will get an AOO an then I will update the map for the new round...


Male Vanara Druid (Storm) 1 HP 10 / 10; AC 16/13/13; F+4/R+3/W+6; Init +9; Per +9

Ajani gives a yelp of surprise, swinging his club at a pirate that just happens to be passing by at that moment, hoping that the attack is lost in the small stampede of men.

Going to assume my Shillelagh has long run out by now...
Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 9
Damage: 1d6 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5

The sudden appearance seems to have caught Ajani so off-guard that his swing goes high over the heads of any of the escaping pirates. Just as well; a hit may've alerted given them a new target to aim for and made them forget they were trying to escape.


The pirates emerge from below decks and scramble onto the main only to see the group advancing on them. These pirates are certainly fancier than many and you think you are looking at the majority of the bridge crew. Ajani swings wide on the first as he emerges.

Meanwhile the two pirates in the longboat sit sulkingly for a moment until one leaps from his seat, a concealed knife in his hand. Rather than going for Bart however he dives for the lines that hold the longboats up to to the deck. His plan, apparently, is to throw the boat to the sea and make escape.

Ajani it hasn't been that long, we have still been going on rounds. You are still enchanted.

Round 5:
Ajani
Mel
Quillin
Fjori
Hassan
Bart
Pirates

Sorry the map is looking a little messed up formatting wise but the positions are right. I have seen some folks use docs for mapping, but using tile images? If anyone has any insight I am open.


Male Human (Qadira) Sorcerer 3 (Seaborn Bloodline)

Noticing the pirate diving for the line from the corner of his eye, Hassan makes a rapid arcane gesture, and throws a blast of water at him.

Water Blast [2/7] (Ranged Touch Attack) => 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

The jet of water (probably) slams the pirate directly in the chest, knocking him off of his feet.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Fighter (Brawler) 3

Will wait for Devon to say the result of Hassan's action before I make Bart's.


And I will wait to see what the others do just in case it is relevant ;p Most likely he is on his ass.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Freebooter) 3

Fjori moves past Hassan to strike at the pirate now at his back.

Attack-Melee: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

A quick question: When fighting with 2 weapons, I have to use a full-action to attack with both weapons, correct??

The Exchange

Male Human Desk Monkey 2/ Logistics Guru 3/ Over-educated 2/Gamer 6

correct


Male Vanara Druid (Storm) 1 HP 10 / 10; AC 16/13/13; F+4/R+3/W+6; Init +9; Per +9

Ajani takes another swing at the pirate directly in front of him, hoping to correct his earlier miss.

Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5

His cudgel again swinging wide, Ajani growls to himself, taking a quick step backward between Hassan and Mel, knowing that leaving himself out in front when he's already been injured would be practically suicidal.


M Gnome Conjurer

Round 5

Not about to let the catch of the day get away, Quillin lets a pinch of colored sand fly at the jolly boat with an arcane phrase. A cone of a billion scintillating prisms settles over the pair inside.

Color spray (DC 15 Will) forward which oughta just catch the two Ps-in-a-skiff.


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

Mel moves from D6-D8-A8-A7 and flanks the southern most crewman with Ajani.

Attack1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21 Damage 1d8 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + (4) = 7


Mel, it looks like Ajani withdraws 5 so you won't end up in a proper flank, is that okay or do you want to amend movement?

Those poor pirates in the longboat. Magic pig pile...

GM SCreen:

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 (Knife)
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9 (No Knife)

Hassan, Quillin will take out the two in the boat before you act, you may re-target or choose a new action.


Male Human (Qadira) Sorcerer 3 (Seaborn Bloodline)

I'll retarget for the pirate standing in B2 (10' to my left). I assume that I can keep the same roll?

The Exchange

Male Human Desk Monkey 2/ Logistics Guru 3/ Over-educated 2/Gamer 6

Yup


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

Mel wont attack if she cant get a flank..as a feint is a standard action she'll hang back and wait for her opportunity.


Ajani takes a wild swing and steps back, hoping to not put himself into too much harm. Mel, seeing the maneuver, holds her step forward in a means to bide her time.

From the Wormwood Quillin produces a blast colors that hammers at the escaping pirates in the longboat who are promptly beaten into unconsciousness from the blast.

Fjori moves past Hassan to take on the nearest pirate but swings wide with the cutlass. A moment later that same pirate is knocked to the ground in a swell of water and now lies at the freebooter's feet.

Bart you are up.

Using the numbering from the grid proper and not the ones I has put on their originally, B 5 and 6 are standing, B4 is down. On their init, unless Bart does something crazy the pirates will advance and then Mel can act to move to flank.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Fighter (Brawler) 3

Seeing the pirates he was guarding on the boat go limp from the gnome's spell, Bart will move to assist the others.

Move and attack pirate at B6.
Attack Roll: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Damage: 1d3 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Because Mel has been holding she can close to flank on B6 before he goes if she wants...I'll even let her keep the roll...

Bart moves past Ajani to the nearest pirate and strikes out with the brass knuckles. The metal *ptang* and the thud of the strike into the other man's skull shakes the pirate and it is clear that he is very near to dropping.


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

Mel darts in and drops the Pirate leaving his friends in a very sticky situation engaged frontally by Fjori and with herself and Bart in the perfect position to flank them

"Surrender is still an option " she shouts at the two remaining crew opposing them


M Gnome Conjurer
Melissa Evendale wrote:
"Surrender is still an option " she shouts at the two remaining crew opposing them

"...or I can just blast the wits out of you like I did your mates," the smug gnome adds.


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

??


The men on deck look over at the young man as yells about surrender and, once again, as the pirates look on at the unconscious and dying bodies of their shipmates they choose surrender.

The smoke smells acrid but no other explosions continue and in the next few seconds cries can be heard from below deck. Not of surprise but victory. Elsewhere on the deck the fog parts and the likes of Rosie, Cogs and Quinn can be seen rounding up prisoners, tending to the dying or dead and in general cleaning up.

The combat officially ends a few seconds after this as Harrigan comes to the deck a man's body being almost carelessly drug behind him by his offhand. The captain of the Man' Promise is dead. The Wormwood is victorious.

There is a milling about on the decks as the crew tries to get all the crew prisoners in one place, all the living officers in another, and all the treasure in yet another.

There is a customary muster and speech by the captain that will happen in about 5 minutes. (anyone have anything they want to do in the meantime?)


Male Vanara Druid (Storm) 1 HP 10 / 10; AC 16/13/13; F+4/R+3/W+6; Init +9; Per +9

Ajani gives a positively simian whoop of a cheer after the cry of victory goes up among the crew, taking the time before the muster to gather the group back together and express how proud he is of their accomplishments during the fighting.

He is glad that there was no need to damage the boats and thanks everyone for their accomplishments, singling out one act from each of the other party members that he believes worthy of mention:

Quillin's Color Spray that prevented the pirates from escaping in one of the boats. Hassan's water blast that knocked one of their foes off his feet. Mel and Bart tag-teaming several of the pirates to their foes' great detriment. Fjori's impressive cutlass-and-boarding-axe combination. Everyone receives accolades they are certainly due.


Male Human (Qadira) Sorcerer 3 (Seaborn Bloodline)

Pick up the dagger(s) I threw, I suppose


M Gnome Conjurer

Quillin chuckles at Ajani's enthusiasm accepting the acknowledgment of his pivotal role in the battle ; ). He dangles from the ratlines waiting for the captain's speech.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Fighter (Brawler) 3

Bart saunters over and stands impatiently waiting with arms crossed over his massive chest for the captain to begin.


I'll give Fjori and Mel to tomorrow otherwise I will move us forward


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Freebooter) 3

Darn it...my post must have been ate...just noticed it was not there...sorry!

Fjori move back over to the group of prisoners. He waves up to Quillin; thanking him for his quick thinking in stopping a possible escape.
"That water blast is a handy thing to have!", he comments to Hassan as he moves to stand beside Bart, mirroring the big brawler’s stance.


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

Mel tears the flag from it's flagstaff and throws it onto the main deck


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

Mel hums to herself as she waits for something to happen


M Gnome Conjurer

Quillin does the little Sonic the Hedgehog thing where he crosses his arms, taps his foot, and glares impatiently out of the monitor... ;)


I always preferred the one where Sonic would start to play solitiare with himself. Things are back to normal I should be on more regularly.

As Mel throws the flag onto the deck there is a cheer. Echoed and then amplified as Harrigan signals to the gathered crowd. The Man's Promise be OURS! You fellow pirates whoop and cheer, the bloodlust still pumping in their veins. Kroop arrives on deck with barrels under each arm as the normal carmel colored rum is replaced with the clear white rum reserved for celebrations.

Mugs are filled, laughing and celebration commence and the captain regales the group with the boarding. At one point Ajani and the lot of you are pointed out for your efforts and as the swag and bounty is piled behind Harrigan, the captain turns and plucks a glass bottle and small purse and throws them both at the Vinara. For your group monkey, and the good work you did keepin your Cap'n alive! One potion and a purse filled with 1000 gp of mixed coinage

As the bounty is moved to the stores or other storage the crew celebrates while the officers and crew of the Man's Promise are stashed below. Te officers split of with HArrigan to celebrate and commiserate as the morning wil bring the standard display; undoubtedly the officers of the Promise will be publicly punished and the crew will be offered a chance to serve with Harrigan or meet their end as the captain devises.

For tonight however the defeated are cordoned off and locked in chains, guardless but demoralized. The crew stands to celebrate until they can no longer (and probably until the morning right) order won't return to the Wormwood for a day or more. You have free reign to go about your business.


Male Vanara Druid (Storm) 1 HP 10 / 10; AC 16/13/13; F+4/R+3/W+6; Init +9; Per +9

How do I go about identifying the potion?

Ajani, with the other pirates, gives whoops and cries of cheer at their successful taking of The Man's Promise, joining in the celebration of his shipmates. When Harrigan tosses him the potion and coinage, he swiftly extends his arms, catching them both and shouting a thanks to the Captain.

As soon as a free moment is had, Ajani gathers the other five members of the group and counts out for each of them 175 gold pieces, leaving 125 for himself. Any attempt to make the booty division more even meets with intense resistance from the Vanara, as he doesn't feel he has as much need for material possessions as the others, so as a result he doesn't think he needs as much money. Not to mention the fact that he didn't think he did as much to contribute to the raid as the others, having not really done a great deal of damage in the fight.

During the revelry, Ajani goes to each member of the crew that he and the others befriended, making sure to congratulate them on the victory and celebrate with them for at least a few minutes.


To identify the potion:

Perception DC 18 (Identify by taste):
Cure Moderate Wounds (CL3)

Cast Detect Magic and Spellcraft DC 18:
Cure Moderate Wounds (CL3)


Male Vanara Druid (Storm) 1 HP 10 / 10; AC 16/13/13; F+4/R+3/W+6; Init +9; Per +9

Ajani takes a very small sip of the potion, hoping to be able to tell what it is by the particular flavor that it possesses.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

He frowns at the bottle, feeling like the correct identification is just on the tip of his tongue, but he can't quite place it. He offers the bottle to Quillin to see if the gnome can perhaps solve the mystery.


Male Human (Qadira) Sorcerer 3 (Seaborn Bloodline)

Hassan takes his share of the loot with many a fine bow and profuse thanks to the fine simian whose wish leadership surely lead us to victory over our enemies, may their mongrel brethren languish in the blackest hell forever and ever, and so forth.

He joins in the reveals as much as possible, leading sea chants and dancing on top of barrels for the amusement of all, and singing the praises of all and sundry.

Perform => 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

As the evening winds on with no hint of the celebration coming to an end, however, Hassan takes an opportunity to slink away from the festivities and have a quiet work with his adopted compatriots.

"My excellent friend of many fine deeds," he whispers to each one in turn, as he comes upon them, "Hassan has been thinking to himself, and the thing that he has been thinking is that there is a fine new ship here, in need of a new captain, and a new crew. Which means that Harrigan must split his forces between the two."

"When that happens, that will be as good a time as ever there will be for us to make our freedom, whether it be on this ship or the other. Whichever the case, we must make all efforts to remain together, for surely that black dog Plugg will do his ready best to split our friendship in twain."


M Gnome Conjurer

spellcraft 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Quillin grins up at Ajani, the gold going a looong ways to assuage his mistrust of monkey men. He makes a great deal of sniffing and eyeballing and mumbling ominous gibberish before handing the vial back to the Vanara. "Yep, it's a moderately strong healing potion. Should get you back on your feet if you get a cutlass in your gut."
(cure moderate wounds)

mu home internet is down ?? hopefully quickly remedied.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Freebooter) 3

Fjori accepts the money and praise with equal disregard. It is not like he was hired to do this job and his 'imprisonment' still rankles him. When Hassan speaks of overthrowing the crew, he is very interested.


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

Mel grins as Ajani hands over 'his' share.."That even makes working under Plugg and his crony worth while" she says as she stows it in her pouches

At Hassan's later comment she nods.."I agree that we volunteer for the prize crew..off course we'll probably have Plugg in command with him being firt Mate an all but that...." she strops her throwing knife against a piece of leather and holds it up to examine the edge critically before finishing her sentence "...that is something we deal with when we come to it"


Male Human (Chelaxian) Fighter (Brawler) 3

Bart pockets his reward with nary a word. He seems to enjoy the festivities in the evening, but his mind seems elsewhere. At Hassan's comment, he cocks an eye towards Qadiran in interest, but says nothing.


The night passes without incident and in the morning the crew continues to be in celebration mode as the captain brings the lot of you together once more. The various prisoners and officers of the Man's Promise are brought before him with the rest of gathered about in a ring around them.

Harrigan strolls the decks and as he looks over the prisoners the body from yesterday is brought to him and placed on the deck behind him. Harrigan turns and points the dead captain. Your loyalty ended there. I am in charge of the Promise now, it is my ship to be added to my fleet. I need a crew and you are it...unless you think you are too good to serve for me...

Harrigan points at the first officer, a tall Rahadoumi woman with long black hair that is coming out of its tight braid. She is pushed from the group by Scourge and she lands at the feet of the captain. Harrigan looks down at her with his one steely eye, What say you, former Mate of the Promise will you serve me?

The woman stands at her feet and looks to Harrigan then spits in his face. The blade from Harrigan's belt pierces her stomach and the captain uses his strength to lift the former first mate off the ground before throwing her to the deck unceremoniously. The crew of the Wormwood laughs.

Harrigan looks at the other officers and crew from the Promise and offers a gruff, WELL?. The majority of them erupt into chaos as the yell about that the would serve Harrigan and well. A few of the older or perhaps more "polished" in the group stand their ground and after a few minutes 3 have been killed, one tied up to be keelhauled after hitting Plugg in the face and two more to be held as ransom when it is realized that they have pedigree or breeding that might be worth something to someone.

Harrigan calls for more rum to be served and the new crew member to be welcomed properly. He exhorts that both ships will set sail on the morrow and raucous cheers, music and so on punctuate the morning air.

You basically have another day or so to snoop around, talk amongst yourselves, ingratiate yourselves (or not) to officers on the Wormwood to whatever ends. Also if you are interested in finding out more of what the plan is for the Promise you can roll Diplomacy or Perception to gain more information.


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

Mel spends the day trying to discover the plan from Her friends amongst the crew gaining a snippet here a morsel there until she can put the whole plan together.

Dipolomacy 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18


Male Human (Chelaxian) Fighter (Brawler) 3

Bart spends the day getting slobbering drunk. Maybe this pirate gig ain't so bad. If only I didn't 'ave to worry 'bout Plugg an' his palls, this'd be right nice.


Male Human (Qadira) Sorcerer 3 (Seaborn Bloodline)

Hassan does his best to speak with the officers he knows, particularly Grok and Kline the Master Gunner, to ingratiate himself as much as he is able, and see if he can pry any information about what the captain is planning from them.

Diplomacy => 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Perception => 1d20 ⇒ 2

and instead he barely manages not to swallow his own tongue.


M Gnome Conjurer

Out of the rigging, Quillin keeps a low profile and a keen ear out for scuttlebutt on the Promise's fate.

perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Freebooter) 3

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Fjori snoops around the ship, listening to many different conversations, trying to pick-up some information on what will be happening next.


Male Vanara Druid (Storm) 1 HP 10 / 10; AC 16/13/13; F+4/R+3/W+6; Init +9; Per +9

Eep! Here I am, holdin' everybody up. Sorry guys!

After accepting the healing potion back from Quillin, Ajani joins his shipmates in celebrating for a fair portion of the night, though he does retire early enough to get a good rest for the next day.

Upon the morrow, he joins the rest of the crew to see the fate of the remainder of the crew of the Promise, suppressing a wince as each refusal to join the crew leads to another body for the sharks. After the event is over, he seeks out Kline to begin with, interested in her evaluation of his performance as the leader of his portion of the group during the boarding action.

He mostly seeks to makes his way through the crew, keeping eyes and ears open for anything he can hear that may be of interest, dedicating such things to memory to share with the remainder of the group when they re-convene.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16


Krine offers a favorable assessment of Ajani's leadership but notes that there is room for imporvement. There is a small conversation as to honing of tactics and so on but ultimately she gives a positive review.

Most of you move about the ship and see and here standard things; Plugg and Scourge will take the Promise on to its next task.Most of their lackey's and toads will be on hand but it looks like so will all of you. The captain has decided that all the current crew should be on hand to help Plugg while the Wormwood's other officers and all of the new crew from the Promise will remain on the Wormwood as trainees.

Its a fateful encounter between Mel and Cog that reveals real information of interest as the red faced Pharasmite details to Meg that the plan from the captain is to take the Promise in to have the configuration of the sails, masts and lines changed at a shady dock elsewhere in the Shackles. Like a fingerprint, no two ships is alike so more pirated ships are changed to evade identification and to start a new life on the seas.

More interesting, the gruff man tells Mel that Plugg means the group harm, seeing the opportunity to get the like you off the ship (where the captain now has his eyes on your promising potential). Perhaps the most interesting piece of information, as Cog is in good with some of Plugg's other lackeys, is a belly ache or two that Plugg might not be made captain of the Promise once returned to Harrigan so Plugg might look to take the ship for himself. Either way, Cog tells Mel to keep his eyes open but to not react too quickly as if Plugg means treachery, its best to have every advantage before taking him on. Cog offers a wink and a slight draw across his neck as he wraps his conversation with young man and Mel feels confident that at least one blade is one her side.

The morning brings confirmation that you are all to report to the Promis under Plugg's command. Grok and Kroop seem anxious at your departure, the orcish quartermaster even offering up a wet eye for the lot of you. Kroop and Grok both push some extra parcels on you, telling you to look at them when you have a chance to be more private. The cook seems practically beside himself.

Any last actions before you are transferred to the Promise? Quinn, Cog, Rosie and the others are all going with you. Quite a few allies at this point...


Male Vanara Druid (Storm) 1 HP 10 / 10; AC 16/13/13; F+4/R+3/W+6; Init +9; Per +9

Ajani thanks Raris for her advice on tactics, promising he will take them to heart in any future boarding actions or raids, whenever he was set to lead one again. This being done, he eagerly awaits the news of what was going to happen to him and the rest of the group now that a second ship has been added to the fleet.

Having anticipated being transferred onto the Promise even before it was announced, he bids all the group's friends on the Wormwood farewell, being sure to thank them all for their help up to this point, Kroop and Grok in particular for their extra gifts, and reassuring them that they will not let all their assistance go to waste. Afterward, he goes to all those who will be crossing over with them and expresses his pleasure with having them aboard. All his business taken care of, he draws in a deep breath, staring across the distance between the two ships at what will soon be his new home.

"So...are you all ready?" he asks the others in a quiet voice.


Female (posing as male) Human Swashbuckler Rogue 2 (favoured class)/Urban Ranger 2

Mel lets the others know what Cog has told her..she tells them quietly and individually before turning in for the night..although she waits to tell Bart in the morning as the man is obviously too drunk to listen.

She boards the Promise with some confidence knowing that her back is covered by the others.

501 to 550 of 1,616 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dread Captain Devon's Perilous Pirate Adventure (AKA Skull & Shackles) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.