Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Showing Scars (Inactive)

Game Master Runner188


1 to 50 of 465 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

The world is full of many things. Most are beautiful. Some are deeply scarred. In Varisia the scars run deep. The Cinderlands are a desolate land of sand and ash. Very few things grow and those that live there are monstrous predators. Near the border, some small towns are able to survive. Most along the rivers.

Just off the Yandabakari River a small town rests. A large white statue in the town square has become a fountain, continuously spraying clean, clear, water. The streets are clean with people running along them. Sirathu appears to be part of the beauty of this world.

But scars run across this town. Ancient and fresh alike.

As you walk down the street to enter The Desert Spring, a favorite tavern of the locals, fearful and suspicious eyes stare at you from all directions. As you go through the door, Jherrine nods a quick greeting. Hers is one of the few smiles in the room. Herlong purple spikes of hair bounce as she points you to an empty table. Several men are sitting around the room absorbed in their ales, barely looking up at any arrivals.

Now is the time to introduce yourself and enter (or describe your own sitting there if you'd likely been there all day) the tavern. Feel free to include a description if you feel so inclined. Once everyone is in the tavern, we will begin.


Male Tiefling Wizard (Divination: Foresight) 1

Gax Uskelli enters the room nonchalantly. Or at least he tries to enter the room nonchalantly. It's kind of hard to remain unnoticed when you have large devil's horns and a tail. He nods a quick greeting to Jherrine, and enters the tavern quickly as if hoping the dimmer light inside will hide his alien features. He has a jumpy, nervous look. His blacker than human eyes scan the room nervously. He is looking for the two same things he looks for whenever he enters a tavern like this: dangerous people to avoid and easy marks to spin his prophecies for. Perception 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18

As he cautiously scans the room and pulls his harrow deck from his pocket and makes them bridge between his hands as an idle habit. Sleight of hand 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13


Male Duergar
Spoiler:
young & advanced creature templates
Monk of the Gray Discipline

I use invisibility stealth

Spoiler:
1d20 + 17 + 20 ⇒ (14) + 17 + 20 = 51
to walk into the nearest and darkest unoccupied corner.perception [spoiler] 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14 to find nearest corner like described above. once i have gotten to a seat I slowly let invisibility fade. Wisk sneaks into my side and sits across my lap unobserved.[spoiler]1d20 + 19 ⇒ (14) + 19 = 33 perception 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19 and scent ability [spoiler] Waiting a few moments for my presence to register (hopefully with out drawing undue attention to myself, I motion for the barmaid to come over. What have we to eat today, miss? And how much for such a great treat?


Male Gully Dwarf Rogue

Bullpup sits in a shadowy corner trying not to be seen by the "Grumpy white apron stick meanie," who was very upset for no good reason. Bullpup was doing him a favor by tracking and killing the "dark furry naked tail", that was trying to hid near a grain sack. All Bullpup wanted was to borrow the fire to cook the "dark furry" before eating it. Bullpup is not sure why he was mad.

Bullpup starts watching this new creature that walked in fascinated at the cards flying thru the air.


Damphir cleric

Kharn had been sitting in the tavern since morning. The locals did not really know what to make of Kharn since it is not often that you see an armor clad individual with skulls tied to him. Let alone actually talking to them. Mostly incoherent mumbling as far as they could tell. And what warrior carries around a bunch of wands? Or has tattoos on the palm of one hand? At any rate, all Kharn had done while in the tavern was order food without directly addressing the waitstaff, eat, and talk to the skulls and a small statue. Not really knowing what to make of it the locals gave him space.

Perception for the general layout of the room, and the people around me. 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Male Gully Dwarf Rogue

After a few minutes of watching the cards fly thru the air bullpup hears a noise and looks to see a spittoon wobbling on the floor next to a group of people. No one seems very interested in it.

Bullpup whispers wrote:
Oh what a neat bowl

and sneaks over to get the bowl and scurry back to the corner.

Dice Checks:
Perception is: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Slight of hand to take pot: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

If successful:
On the way back to the dark corner Bullpup sees his new friend wink and shares a dark furry naked tail. He sits dipping the dark furry naked tail in the bowl and munching contentedly in the dark corner.


Female Human Oracle 1

For Gax:
After a minute of watching the crowd, no one stands out as dangerous or as an easy mark. Though there is a group of three rather drunk men. And they are staring in your direction. I used your sense motive modifier instead (their the same anyway) because it is more appropriate to sizing up a person and getting a sense of them.

After a few minutes, a barmaid makes her way over to Gax. What can I get you? she asks, frowning at his horns.


Female Human Oracle 1

When inner of the barmaids gets over to Tobia, she goggles a little to herself. "My," she says, "I didn't see you come in." She giggles again and Myers something that sounds slightly like"fool."

We've got some chicken that's almost done roasting and some boiled fernik root. It'll cost you 3 silver for a meal. And it's well worth it. We gots the best cook in Varisia She smiles and waits for Tobia to order.


The barmaids start to avoid Kharn, and barely notice the dwarf like creature in the corner.

Just waiting for one more person, then the real fun starts


Male Duergar
Spoiler:
young & advanced creature templates
Monk of the Gray Discipline

Sense motive

Spoiler:
[dice] d20+11

Perception
Spoiler:
[dice]d20+11

[b]Ah my thanks young miss. Tell more about this renowned cook as I am new to the area. Also if you might be persuaded,I would like to have the chicken and the root. Again I must ask for your kind help, would you please describe this root you mentioned...fenik I believe it was...If both the chicken and the rest are as good as you say I am more than willing to pay a bit extra for the pleasure of both.[b]

Taking a look around the room, what generally am I seeing?
If anyone seems out of place or "well" known I would like to use sense motive to learn more about how they are perceived by the rest of the room.
1.) out of place - caution taught by years of survival
2.)well known - possible source of information about general area and the families of the deceased from my story.


Male Duergar
Spoiler:
young & advanced creature templates
Monk of the Gray Discipline

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31 perception1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12 sense motive


Male Duergar
Spoiler:
young & advanced creature templates
Monk of the Gray Discipline

Ah my thanks young miss. Tell more about this renowned cook as I am new to the area. Also if you might be persuaded,I would like to have the chicken and the root. Again I must ask for your kind help, would you please describe this root you mentioned...fenik I believe it was...If both the chicken and the rest are as good as you say I am more than willing to pay a bit extra for the pleasure of both.


Male Tiefling Wizard (Divination: Foresight) 1

Gax replies to the barmaid: As much of your strongest cheapest drink that this will buy and hands the barmaid ten silvers. He then adds and I'll take it over at the table with my friends. and gestures toward the three drunks.

Gax then walks over to the drunks, pulls out a chair and sits down at their table.

He begins to shuffle the cards as he sits down. He repeats the simple trick of making the cards bridge between his hands. Sleight of hand 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19.

As Gax does so, he looks the drunks over carefully, attempting to see visible weapons or armor on them (Perception 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15, attempting to see what they might have of value (appraise 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7.

He begins to lay out cards on the table in front of him face down. He asks the men "Have you gentlemen ever heard of the wonders of the harrow deck?" He turns the first card over.

OOC Questions for DM:
How much can I assume Gax knows about the harrow deck and the way a harrowing reading typically works? Do I have detailed knowledge of the individual cards (their names and traditional meanings) and how to make a reading at least look real (like using the traditional 3x3 grid of cards). Obviously, he can't actually cast the spell so there is no real predictive magic going on, I just like the idea of being able to use actual card names to make up fake meanings for. I would guess, that since Gax's focus area is divination, he has a harrow deck as his bonded object, and he is traveling in Varisia he might have had a chance to pick up a lot of knowledge about the cards, even if he doesn't know how to do the actual magic behind a harrowing spell. If we don't assume that he knows the cards automatically, maybe he could have a circumstantial bonus to his knowledge arcana checks to know what the cards are?


Male Gully Dwarf Rogue

Bullpup taps on tobia's leg,
You still have the Yak right?


Male Duergar
Spoiler:
young & advanced creature templates
Monk of the Gray Discipline

Yep dwarfling...you got more rats for wisk?


Female Human Oracle 1

The barmaid giggles again. Ah, but Master, you must know that 3 silver is for the whole meal. Roots and chicken. She stares thoughtfully for a moment. She stammers off an unsteady description of the roots, They're large round tubers that come off of the roots of Fenik plants. You know, the ones with the long leafs and thick stalk. I'll bring you your meal. That'll be the best way to show you.

The barmaid walks off into the kitchen.

Tobia:
You sit in the corner near the door that leads to the kitchen. You can see that the room is large, about 75 by 40 feet. There are several tables throughout the room. A fireplace stands on the wall opposite the entrance, and a small group of people sit dicing near it. In the corner near the kitchen, opposite you, there stands a large stack of barrels, and a man sitting in the corner near them stands out as very odd. He wears skulls on his garments and alternately talks to them and the statue he holds.

Between the strange man and you sits a half-elf, all by himself. He is one of the few sitting by himself. Though he seems rather absorbed in his ale.

In the center of the room, some sort of strange creature with horns just joined three very drunk men at their table. He seems to be playing with some sort of cards.

There are others in the room, but there is nothing out of the ordinary about them.

As far as any hunches about these out of place people, you are unable to get anything useful with just a minutes study.


Male Human

The barmaid says nothing as Gax hands her the silver. She holds it gingerly and puts it immediately in a pouch at her waist before walking off.

As Gax sits down, the men's frowns deepen. What do you want? Freak.

When Gax continues on about the harrow deck, one of them speaks again. I said, what do you want? Don't you know your kind aren't welcome here.

Gax:
As far as the harrow goes, I feel that is a character background thing, and entirely up to you. You could start him as knowing all about them, know a little and learn as he goes along, or whatever you feel Gax would know.

The men are wearing leather armor and carrying short swords, just as most men around here do. If they are carrying anything more valuable than that, they are carrying them in the pouches at their sides.


Male Gully Dwarf Rogue

I have 2 so them see. Bullpup holds up a string that is threaded thru the bodies of seven skinned carcasses. Wisk and I got to eat a cooked one today. Best meal ever. Only happened 2 times before. So I get to ride the Yak now?


Male Human Paladin (Divine Defender)/1

Marcus steps through the doorway to the Tavern heavy footed. His plate armor clanging as he walks methodically to an open table. He smiles at the locals despite the fact that none smile back at him. Marcus' good and natural Charisma radiate off him like ripples from a rock dropped in a pond. He sits down at an open table and looks around the room trying to take an account it's occupants and their doings. perception 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12


Male Tiefling Wizard (Divination: Foresight) 1

Gax replies to the drunk: I may be a freak, but there are gifts that come from my dark heritage, gifts of insight. Look to the card to see the future. (Bluff 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10)

Gax gestures over the cards and says: Behold

Gax casts silent image, making an illusion of the three drunks on the face of the card. In the image the drunks bodies are clearly dead, lying in the street that looks like one near the tavern. The one who called Gax a freak is decapitated.

Gax holds the card up for the drunks to see.

Saves:
The DC for the save vs illusion is a DC16, by default, although their drunkeness may cause them a penalty. A successful bluff may also give Gax a situational bonus, an unsuccessful bluff may cause a penalty.

Concentration:
The duration of silent image is concentration and I don't think Gax needs to pass a concentration check if is just having a conversation.


Female Human Oracle 1

The barmaid comes back with a steaming plate of chicken and tubers smothered in a strange red gravy. She places it in front of Tobia. Enjoy. She smiles and gives a wink.


Male Human

DM Rolls:
1d20 - 6 ⇒ (11) - 6 = 51d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9

The face of the man who spoke goes white. But the blood returns so quickly most would hardly notice. You dare to threaten me, he whispers cooly. Then his voice raises to a shout. Spittle flies from his mouth as he yells, I will gut you like a pig, you freak! He and his companions jump up from their seats, drawing their swords.

The barmaids scream and begin for the kitchens. Jherrine yells at the men to no avail. Stop it. Stop it. There'll be no fighting in my bar. Guards!
1d20 - 6 ⇒ (4) - 6 = -2

But most everyone else just sits and watches.

Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 71d20 ⇒ 11d20 ⇒ 61d20 ⇒ 171d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 151d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 61d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 141d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9

Initiative Order
Tobia
Marcus
Bulpup
Gax
Kharn
Thug1
Thug2
Thug3
Only Gax is being attacked, I included the other rolls in case you want in, if you do not, then just have your turn be to delay.
Here is the map. and let's get started.


Oh, and feel free to go out of order (or not, if you're waiting to see others Actons), just make sure you stay on the same round as the rest of us. Your actions well still take place on your turn, this can just make things faster.


Male Tiefling Wizard (Divination: Foresight) 1

Gax will remain seated at the table. He says I do not make threats. I show visions of what is to come. You've lived a life of violence and this fate is approaching you. Put down your weapons and other fates are possible. Bluff 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8.

He picks up the next card and shows it to the thug who has been talking. Gax shifts the illusion so that it shows a series of images to the man on the next card. First of him placing all of his weapons on the table, and leaving the tavern, the next of him working on a plow on a lush farm, the next of him embracing a pleasant looking woman at the same farm, the next of healthy, happy looking children surrounding the man.


Male Duergar
Spoiler:
young & advanced creature templates
Monk of the Gray Discipline

i eat my food.. shifting position enough to defend or dodge if the fight comes my way and nudge dwarfling away from my feet so he wont tangle or trip me if i move. wisk slides off my lap to the far side of me on a bench


Male Human Paladin (Divine Defender)/1

Marcus stands up and steps quickly between the men and Gax. If the presence of this Tiefling offends you so, why do you not just leave? A bloody battle doesn't seem like a fitting solution to such a simple problem does it? Know that if you follow through with your current path, I will do everything I can to defend the Tiefling as sworn by my order and god Torag. Diplomacy 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11 - Marcus prepares himself to draw his sword and shield should these men decide to push the issue further.

Actions:
Stand as my swift action, stepping between gax and the attackers as my move.

If my diplomacy check fails I will use my standard to don my shield.


Male Tiefling Wizard (Divination: Foresight) 1

The next opportunity Gax has to speak he says to the thug who was been speaking See! See how your instincts towards violence bring you inexorably closer to death? I see bright futures for all of you if you put your weapons down now and leave this place forever. Bluff 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20.


Bulpup and Kharn? Are you doing anything?


Damphir cleric

I will stand up and move to about 5 feet away from the group.

You shiny man, Sir. Mumbles says you are teapot SHORT AND STOUT!...
Short...mhmdfgd.. stout...your handle is... here!
*I shape my left arm as a handle and point to it with my right.*
AND YOUR SPOUT IS HERE, YES! HMM!
*I move my arm to a spout position very quickly*
What happens if you tip over? *I lean to the right* OH! you leak on the floor! *While I am saying this I use create water to make a small stream of water come from my pointer finger* DON'T LEAK OUT! SOMEONE MIGHT DRINK YOU! *As I say this, I stand straight and throw my arms into the air while the water is still streaming out. Some of the water hits me in the face and I look at my finger in surprise. I then shake my hand like something were stuck to it trying to get it off. I will do this for a few seconds and then make the water stream stop, then look at my finger like I don't know what is going on.*
*I say to nobody in particular*We are playing pranks on us again.

ooc:
Because I tend to think in fragments I forgot to write into my back story something that was fairly integral to where I got my character idea from. But at the same time I don't want to put it into my bio so I get a very genuine WTF? from everyone as I act it out. Ben, shall I PM you what it is I am talking about?


Kharn:

First off, ROFL.

secondly, yes.


You must want me clean your shoe, no other reason to nudge me. Do I get to ride after? I bend over and start licking tobia's boot to wet it and then start rubbing it with my sleeve to clean it but it is just getting dirtier.Your boot tastes good can I clean them more often?


Male Duergar
Spoiler:
young & advanced creature templates
Monk of the Gray Discipline

stop dwarfling. No one cleans after me it is degrading to both them and I! Move away from my feet. Sit across from me and enjoy this meal. I scoop about 3/4 of the tubers on to the table across from me. and again nudge Bullpup. I keep listening to what is going around me and looking while i do this, not even glancing at bullpup when I talk to him..
perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19


Male Human

DM Rolls:
1d20 - 2 ⇒ (9) - 2 = 71d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 81d20 - 6 ⇒ (20) - 6 = 14

The man blinks and pauses for a moment. Then he snarls, Kill them too.

The man pulls back his sword to swing at Marcus. Marcus quickly dons his shield and is able to get it on just before the swing.
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 51d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
And the sword strikes his shield.

The man standing next to Gax growls and brings his sword around. 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 151d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 and is able to cut a gash along his side. You take 5 points damage

The third man looks around and realizes that he is faced with attacking the the crazy man. He hesitates a moment and then moves forward to attack. 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 201d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 His sword scores Kharn's arm. You take 5 points damage.


The half-elf that was sitting by himself stares for a moment. But then he is shocked into action. He stands up and moves forward. STOP! he bellows. Garrent, Reht, Handar. You know who I am and yet you dare attack these peaceful people in front of me. While we all know the guards aren't coming now, you know that a word from me will have you in prison tonight. Get out of here now, and we will forget this happened.
1d20 + 19 ⇒ (11) + 19 = 30

The men look around, embarrassed. One of them drops his sword, but one and all, they move away from the table. I . . . I . . . I'm sorry, the big one stammers as he moves. By the time they reach the door of the tavern, they are at a run.


Male Gully Dwarf Rogue

After a seconds hesitation I scramble up to the counter and stuff the tubers in my mouth. After swallowing them I then start licking the table.


The half-elf turns to the assembled group. As the head councilor of this town, you have my sincere apologies. He shakes, his head slightly and mutters, I've been trying to clean up this town but. . . . He sighs, then continues, You are brave men. I have recently come up against a problem that requires the assistance of such men. Would you be willing to hear me out on such a thing? I can pay handsomely. As he asks he stares you all up and down, and you can feel his eyes weighing you. He seems doubtful, but continues to stare.
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28

Tobia, they are currently not trying to hide this conversation, you can hear it no problem


Damphir cleric

*I will trace my finger along the wound while mumbling , using inflict minor until I am fully healed.*


. . . I can't find inflict minor. . . . Where did you get it? What is it?


Damphir cleric

It's a cantrip version of the heal/inflict spells, but only doing 1 point respectively for each energy type per casting. I got it from herolab since I only have the expansions you limited this to. But herolab says it comes from d20 SRD, so I don't really know...


Male Duergar
Spoiler:
young & advanced creature templates
Monk of the Gray Discipline

I simply go back to eating.


Damphir cleric

*I grab the buddha statue and hold it up to my ear for a moment as if listening to it. Then I address Henneska*
We would like to hear what head councilor has to say.


Male Tiefling Wizard (Divination: Foresight) 1

Gax gathers up his cards up carefully, and shoves them up his sleeves. He then compresses his still bleeding knife wound with his hand. As the half elf says the words "pay handsomely" he begins to pay attention for the first time.

He asks: Did I here the word 'pay'?


Male Gully Dwarf Rogue

DMBen:

Here are the rolls I talked about:
Precep=1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Actually in preview that roll sucked so bad that I would want to do another perception until I get something good. Let me know if I can do another perception or what.


Male Human Paladin (Divine Defender)/1

Marcus turns to Henneska and replies I will listen, but your gold is not a motivator to me. I will accept reward where one is due but I will not seek the reward for rewards sake. Tell me your troubles and I will determine if they are worthy of my attention as dictated by my God. Marcus puts his shield on his pack and finds a seat to listen to the half elf who was presumably some sort of village leader.


As Marcus goes to take a seat he motions for him to stop. This is actually a matter of some delicacy, so we should talk more of it in private. Then louder, Jherrine, I would like to hire the use of one of your private dining rooms. If you please As she passes to show them the way, Henneska hands her a gold coin, then motions for the men to follow.


Group with Henneska:
Jherrine brought goblets and a pitcher of wine. He set them on the table. When she was gone, Henneska turned back to the group. Before we begin, can I trust in your discretion in this matter? This is of the utmost importance. And yes he said turning to Gax, I can and will pay.
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23
make sure you roll a bluff if you lie about this answer, you can tell he's trying to judge the truth of your words.


Male Gully Dwarf Rogue

dmben:

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 (perception)
i hate this dice roller


Male Duergar
Spoiler:
young & advanced creature templates
Monk of the Gray Discipline

i stand up toss coin on the table and follow not saying a thing to anyone. wisk crawls to my shoulder as we leave the table.


Male Human Paladin (Divine Defender)/1

Marcus replies with a stern answer. We have nothing to gain by informing others of your problem. You have my discretion He is however confused at the request of the half-elf. He doesn't understand how the man could trust the surrounding company enough to divulge his information and yet question their character in the matter of secrecy.


How far do you follow them? Into the room? Just up the stairs to see which room they go into? And what do you do when you get there?

1 to 50 of 465 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Showing Scars All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.