Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Shisumo's Jade Regent Prologue - Burnt Offerings

Game Master Shisumo


1,351 to 1,400 of 1,488 << first < prev | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | next > last >>

Shalelu snorts. "It's just words," she says. "I'd rather not have her anywhere near my battlefield."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
28/28 hp

Halgor shakes his head. "I see yer thinkin', but I'm with Tybus. Taking a captive into a battle like that - Torag would not approve."

He proceeds to have Lyrie lay on the table, arms over the edge near a leg and begins to lash her wrists to each other on either side of the table leg. "Don't cross me, lass, and you'll live to see daylight." He lays the noose on the table next to her where she can't help but see it.

Looking at the rest of the party, he says, "I will watch to keep her out of trouble, but if you need aid, holler."

Lamsfel looks around. "Friends, what preparations need we make? Orik, I assume with that armament, you generally lead the charge, eh?"


Orik nods, though he doesn't look sanguine about facing Nualia.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Aye, I don't think we'll be doing much "submitting" when we go in and cut down one o' her favored.


28/28 hp

Firmly, "We're submitting, all right. Her to her goddess."


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

I understand your reservations, Halgor, and leaving her here is fine. But I think we'll need you to stand with us against Nualia. If we take Lyrie's equipment and spell components and leave her here tied up, that should suffice for the moment. Perhaps one of you stronger types might make it harder for her to escape by...

Gan holds his hand palm up and punches it with his other fist, miming knocking the mage out.

I just don't think it's a good idea to leave our healer behind on guard duty while we take on the big bad. An unarmed, unconscious, tied up mage should be out of commission for long enough for us to either kill Nualia, or die trying. ;-)


That's the spirit!


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Finally finding an outlet for his conflicted emotions, Tristan walks up to the mage and knocks her out cold. In a throaty voice he says. "Let's go then, shall we? I'll say the words if I have to. By Desna, I don't like what this place is doing to us.


So the plan seems to be for everyone, including Orik, to go face Nualia, leaving Lyrie tied up, unconscious and without her spell components, back here. Is that right? Speak now or forever hold your peace...


28/28 hp

I believe that's right.

"I'll get the door, Tristan. I'd rather you had both hands on that sword of yours."

Positions something like this?

Lamsfel - Orik
Tristan - Tybus
Gan - Halgor
Shalelu

Lamsfel is planning to say the password and open the door while holding one of his short swords, letting Tristan pass him into the room. Orik's in front because he has to prove something and that lets the rest of us keep an eye on him. Lamsfel will follow Tristan in to hopefully provide the spellcasters and archer with protection up front.


As the group returns to the hallway outside the chapel, Orik catches Lamsfel's arm. "You need to say it before you step up to the doors," the mercenary warns. "Get within about 5 feet of them, and you burn."

If you do as he says:
Explosive ru- nah. Nothing happens. You're good.

If you don't do as he says, I need to know what you are doing instead.


28/28 hp

Lamsfel waits for the spellcasters to cast any preparatory spells and then leads the way down the hallway. He's putting his faith in Orik, for right or wrong, so he does as the mercenary says.


What prep spells are you guys doing, then? Let me know when you're ready...


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Probably would be the best time to use my last scroll of shield


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

I'm still down 4hp. I'll drink a healing potion, since we've collected several of them.

1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Sorry, ridiculously busy day at work (just finished, actually). I'll refresh light and cast Guidance on everyone except myself). The door will have to be opened pretty much right after that, as it only lasts a minute, hehe.


That just leaves Halgor's spells, if any. Also, because I just realized I didn't say anything about it again after the fight started, what did you guys do about Lyrie's familiar?


28/28 hp

Is there a box or container of some kind? If not, lock it in the room (chair under the doorknob if applicable) and leave the unconscious and trussed-up wizard outside. Later, we can reunite them if the password proves legitimate and we are victorious.

Halgor likewise casts Shield, bringing his AC to 20 and allowing him to use his axe (or hammer, but he'll try the axe first) two-handed. (I'm not sure he hasn't burned his other spells for healing, to be honest.)


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Just remembered my arcane pool stacks with existing enchantments. I'll use that right before we move in, as well.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Battle map: Round Zero

Lamsfel approaches the door, murmuring the blasphemous phrase, and although he feels a quick prickle of magic over his skin, the trap does not activate. With a quick tug, the elf pulls the door open and steps aside, allowing Orik to run in, leading the rest of the group as they spill through the door.

Within, you find yourselves confronted with a chapel to Lamashtu carved from the very stone of the island itself. Fonts containing frothy dark water sit to the north and south of the entrance to the room, and twin banks of stone pillars run the length of the long chamber. At the western end, shallow stairs rise to a platform about two feet off the ground. The walls surrounding this platform are lit by hanging braziers that emit glowing red smoke, giving the place an unnerving crimson lighting that throws the bas-relief carvings of countless monsters feasting on fleeing humans into lurid display.

A black marble altar stone, its surface heaped with ashes and bone fragments, squats before a ten-foot-tall statue. The sculpture depicts a very pregnant but otherwise shapely naked woman who wields a kukri in each taloned hand and has a long reptilian tail, bird-like taloned feet, and the snarling head of a three-eyed jackal with a forked tongue. Its left kukri flickers with fiery orange light while the right one glows with a cold blue radiance.

Standing to the right of the statue is a tall, athletic looking woman with dark hair and piercing violet eyes. She would be beautiful, but her left arm has been transformed into a red-scaled, wicked-looking claw, and her stomach - deliberately bared by modifying the breastplate she wears - is crossed with a set of deep scars that look almost like a taloned hand tried to scoop out her womb through the skin. In her right, still-human-looking hand, she holds a gleaming bastard sword. The woman glares across the length of the room at you, and the canine-looking beast that crouches next to her growls menacingly. "And here you are," she says loudly. "The 'Heroes of Sandpoint.' And... Orik, too." She shakes her head. "Again and again I am betrayed. I should have expected no less." She takes a long look at Lamsfel, and a small smile crosses her face. "Why have you come, then? To save your pathetic town from the sanctifying flames?"

Spellcraft, DC 16:
The "long look" was a spell-like ability: detect good, to be precise. Cast as a move action, much quicker than is usually possible.

Knowledge (nature), DC 11:
The dog-like beast, the thing that "laughs," as Orik put it, is a hyena, a hunter of the Garundi savannahs, but rare in Avistan, which is likely why he did not recognize it. It is not an ordinary hyena, as it looks twisted... unnatural.

Knowledge (planes), DC 11:
The animal standing next to Nualia is not an ordinary beast, but is in fact from another plane. It shows all the characteristics of being fiendish, warped by the effects of the Realms Below.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Mainly just to kill ye. But we'll take your surrender. Though I expect there not be much chance o' that.


28/28 hp

Lamsfel studies the opponent, wondering what it is she thinks she sees.

Undergoing serious time crunch here, but I'll get in when I can.


The woman smiles even more broadly, as though Tybus just said something funny. "We can safely assume that is the case, yes. Although, if you would care to die on the altar for the greater glory of Lamashtu, rather than purposelessly here in the middle of the floor, I would be happy to accept your surrenders."


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Tybus shakes his head in near disbelief. Ye really are a zealot, aren't ye? Ta think that's a good thing?

He levels the enchanted katana at her and says, in a low, firm voice, Make no mistake, we aim to finish ye and your mad scheme. It ends, and even if we fall, Sandpoint won't be next. You've already lost, so your best service to your goddess is to open yer own throat on that alter.

Intimidate: 1d20 ⇒ 7


28/28 hp

Lamsfel's eyes take a hard edge. "A spoiled brat with unearthly beauty, that's what I see. Fooled by the lies of a b+&+& goddess to harm so many innocents. Don't worry about the betrayals you have experienced during your life. They are nothing compared to the betrayal you will experience when Pharasma sends your soul to the Mother of Monsters. When you find that she really has never cared for you, that's when you will know what betrayal is."

He takes a step to E4. Shelalu moves to F5.

Halgor growls to himself, "Quit yer jawin' 'n do something, lads."

Tristan, Gan, anything? Or are you just waiting for the smiting to begin?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

"Yeah, it doesn't matter what happened to you. You are responsible for the horrible things your underlings did to those innocent people. For that you will die.

Let the smiting begin.


Sounds like we're gonna need initiatives, then. Gan, feel free to drop a speech in with your roll if you'd like to have a word before the smiting.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


28/28 hp

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23


Nualia's initiative: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5
Hyena's initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Orik tightens his grip on his blade and steels himself for a fight he clearly isn't looking forward to.

Orik's initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11


28/28 hp

Shalelu Initiative 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Halgor Initiative 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Hey guys, for some reason my profile page never told me there were new posts here. I've been online every day and keep checking and it never said new posts. Sorry about that, when I get home in a bit I'll post my stuff (on phone now)


28/28 hp

The thread was inactive long enough that I lost my "new" notices, too. I just noticed that it had something newer than another thread that did have new content. Once I posted again, the notices are working. I imagine that's what happened to you.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Spellcraft 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Knowledge (Nature) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Initiative 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

She's using some sort of demonic magic to search for goodness in your heart, Lamsfel. No doubt she means to sway us to her side. And that creature with her--I can't quite place it, but it looks like a scavenger, cowardly and despicable. No wonder she chooses this for her pet. There's something...off about it, though.

After the back and forth between Nualia and his companions, Gan says again.

The ravings of a lunatic--I know madness, and there is no reasoning with it. This one is worse than Tsuto. Demons only understand one thing--power. Let's show her what we can do.


Lamsfel and Gan.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Lamsfel is before me, but as my action helps him, I assume he won't mind delaying until after me.

Your false goddess cannot protect you! Bend before the will of the Faceless One!

The witch fixes the monstrous woman with a terrifying stare.

Gan Evil Eye's Nualia's AC, then Cackles.


28/28 hp

I'm fine with delaying. I may regret this - can Lamsfel move to B3 and attack?


Nualia's Will save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Lamsfel wrote:
I'm fine with delaying. I may regret this - can Lamsfel move to B3 and attack?

You can, but the altar's presence makes you squeeze (inflicting substantial penalties to both attack and AC). C3 would probably be a better option. The stairs are not steep enough to cost you movement or to require any Acrobatics or other checks to fight on.


28/28 hp

C3 it is, please.

Lamsfel bounds up the stairs, waving his off-hand blade as though readying it for a strike before trying to slip the primary short sword right through the woman's exposed midriff.

Primary attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6 And the visiting fans groan!

Unfortunately, his own feeble attempt at a feint throws off his balance and he threatens the stairs more than the Lamashtan.


Battle Map: Round One

Gan's curse finds purchase within Nualia's twisted soul, but Lamsfel's reckless charge does little but expose him to the wrath of the fallen aasimar and her loathesome pet. The doglike beast snaps its powerful jaws at the elf with supernatural fury.

Hyena smites good on Lamsfel and attacks him with its bite: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17, damage 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6; if that hits, it also tries to trip him: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21 vs Lamsfel's CMD.

Everyone else but Gan and Lamsfel can take actions.


28/28 hp

Just misses. Whew!


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Tristan advances to D2 if possible without squeezing, else D3 and tries to smite the otherworldly beast.

Greatsword attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18, damage:2d6 + 6 ⇒ (3, 2) + 6 = 11


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Tybus will sidle up next to Tristan if he's able, and give a follow-up slice to the doggie. (If Tristan's mighty blow felled the creature, then he'll step into its space and attack Nualia.)

Katana attack (with guidance): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13


Tristan moves up onto the stairs to D3, because D2 is a squeeze and hews into Nualia's animal companion - the vicious blow grievously wounds the creature, but does not kill it. Tybus, however, steps up next to Tristan, and although the reach is awkward because he's squeezing his enchanted blade finds the beast's heart, killing it.

Seeing his opportunity, Orik steps past Tristan and hops up onto the platform, standing over the animal's body as he swings his bastard sword at Nualia herself. Move to C2. Bastard sword attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23, damage 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7. The blade slices into the scales on her transformed arm, and she grimaces in pain.

Still need actions from Shalelu and Halgor.


28/28 hp

Shalelu moves forward on the far side of the room to B5, hopping up onto the raised platform, before firing her bow across the altar at its keeper.

Attack 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Damage 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Oh, the dice roller is showing me the hate, for sure!

Halgor hustles up behind the rest of the party to E3 and calls out, "Torag, shield us as we do yer will in this site of unholy power!"

Deflection Aura: 1/day, grants +2 deflection bonus to AC and CMD to all allies within 20'


Battle Map: Round Two

Nualia's face twists into a mask of rage as Orik stabs her, and she turns on him in a fury. "How dare you betray me!" she shouts as she lashes out with her sword and claw both. Bastard sword attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23, damage 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13; claw attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7. Her blade stabs deep into the warrior's chest, but she cannot manage to find an opening with her fiendish hand.

You guys (all of you) can go.


28/28 hp

Lamsfel replies, "Oh, that's easy. An oath made to one that betrays everyone and everything she's ever known is not binding, you see."

Attempting an attack with both shortswords...

Primary 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Damage 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Secondary 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

----------

Shalelu's eyes narrow at her earlier miss as she draws back and lets fly with two more arrows in a blur.

First shot 1d20 + 7 - 2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 7 - 2 + 1 = 7 Including Rapid Shot penalty, Point Blank Shot bonus
Damage 1d8 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 + 1 = 7 Including Point Blank Shot bonus

Second shot 1d20 + 7 - 2 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 7 - 2 + 1 = 21 Including Rapid Shot penalty, Point Blank Shot bonus
Damage 1d8 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 + 1 = 3 Including Point Blank Shot bonus

----------

Halgor moves back toward the door of the chapel before raising his holy symbol of Torag, "Mighty Torag, grant us strength and sustenance as we fight the good fight!"

He is trying to move far enough away that Nualia does not benefit from his channeling but he specifically wants to include Orik.

Channel healing 1d6 ⇒ 6


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Tybus attempts to maneuver to reach Nualia, hopefully staying out of her reach at the same time. If he can take a 5-foot step he will, or he will move through D1 to get to C1.

Katana: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Your goddess has abandoned you--no one will answer your prayers. You will perish here, alone, as all servants of evil gods do.

Gan evil eyes her attacks this time, then cackles.

1,351 to 1,400 of 1,488 << first < prev | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shisumo's Jade Regent Prologue - Burnt Offerings All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.