Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Shisumo's Jade Regent Prologue - Burnt Offerings

Game Master Shisumo


1,001 to 1,050 of 1,488 << first < prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | next > last >>

28/28 hp

If Tybus is correct, Lamsfel will follow suit, crossing the bridge and switching weapons.

Shalelu will cross last, but she will retain her bow and remain near the back of the party.


Halgor's acid blast ends the last goblin, thanks to Gan's curse. Moving quickly, the group reassembles on the far side of the trapped bridge.

228 XP for this combat. You can take one round's worth of actions.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Gan will stay behind Tristan and cast guidance on him.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

With cutlass in his main hand, Tybus will draw his flask of liquid ice in his off hand. He'll also study the structures, looking for further ambush spots as he approaches.


28/28 hp

Lamsfel will listen at the double doors, a short sword in each hand.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27


Male Dwarf Cleric 1

I'm very sorry, but I have to withdraw. I have tons of personal issues going on right now, and I just dont have the time or motivation to participate in the necessary amount of time.

Best wishes to all of you.


28/28 hp

Really sorry to hear that, Halgor. I vote that we bot Halgor for the time being. Maybe RL will calm down and you can return later. We really can't afford to proceed without a cleric and now's a tough spot to introduce a new character, anyway, right?


I too am sorry to hear that. If things should clear up before we get through Thistletop, you're welcome back. In the meantime, yeah, let's NPC Halgor - I'll have you guys run him the same as Shalelu.

Lamsfel:
Your sharp elf ears easily pick up the sound of feet - probably two sets - running up to the gate on the far side. They come to a stop immediately opposite you on the other side of the gate, and you hear wood scraping, as though the gate is being unbarred.

You will have just enough time to signal your allies, but not much more beyond "enemies!"

Tristan, Halgor and Shalelu all can take actions if they wish.


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Assuming there are no enemies within view, Tristan will sheathe his sword and see if he can get the double doors open. If he gets the nod from Lamsfel, that is.

Disable Device if applicable:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


28/28 hp

He does not get the nod.

Lamsfel hisses, "They're coming!" He will step to the left so he's behind that door as it opens. Assuming the doors open out.

Shalelu, arrow still nocked, will step to the left and ready an action to fire.


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Sword stays drawn then and Tristan takes up a position behind the other door.


Abruptly, the massive gate booms open, revealing two more goblins, each wearing studded leather armor and carrying vicious-looking horsechoppers. They screech in rage, but Shalelu interrupts their shouting with an arrow.

Lamsfel and Tristan, please give me Stealth checks. Regardless of the result of those rolls, you two have cover at the moment. Gan, it's probably worth noting that Tristan is no longer between you and the goblins. Also, horsechoppers have reach.


28/28 hp

Unsure of bonus from cover, but here's Lamsfel's stealth check
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Shalelu's attack 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24 includes boni for favored enemy and point blank shot
Damage 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Though the arrow flies straight and true, Shalelu's target does not immediately fall as the shaft pierces its chest.

Everyone, go ahead and give me initiative rolls. There might be a surprise round, however, depending on the result of Tristan's stealth check.


28/28 hp

If someone wants to take responsibility for Halgor-bot, feel free. Otherwise, I submit the following:

With the elf's warning, the dwarven cleric stands his ground a step ahead of the ranger and to one side, drawing his battleaxe and waiting for the fun to start.

Attack of Opportunity, should one be necessary 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Two-handed damage 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


28/28 hp

Initiatives
Lamsfel 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

Shalelu 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Halgor 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Yep, I wish Tristan would have told me he was moving so I could have used my move action to get somewhere not so exposed. ;-) Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15, Stealth 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13


Okay, since only one of you is hidden from the goblins, I'm going to skip the surprise round to keep things moving. Until you act, though, Lamsfel, you are considered essentially invisible from the goblins.

Goblin initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Looks like everyone but Shalelu got the drop on the goblins, so go for it.


28/28 hp

What are our relative positions / distances to the goblins?


Lamsfel and Tristan are behind the open gates to the southwest (left) and northeast (right), respectively; more or less directly in front of the gates are Tybus, Halgor, Shalelu and Gan, with the latter two a step behind and a step to the left and right respectively from the other two. None of you are more than 20 feet from the goblins, although Lamsfel and Tristan do not have line of sight to them because of the doors.


28/28 hp

This may be a shock to the other players, but Lamsfel will wait to see how the others' actions play out before he gives up the slight advantage of surprise he has.

Which goblin did Shalelu hit? Nearest to Lamsfel or nearest to Tristan?


Lamsfel wrote:
Which goblin did Shalelu hit? Nearest to Lamsfel or nearest to Tristan?

She stepped left as well, so she hit the one nearest Lamsfel.


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Tristan will let his friends fire away at the goblins before he steps up and tries to finish of any survivors. Delayin until Gan and Tybus have acted.

Tristan waits for his friends to fire, then steps into the fray.

Greatsword attack:

Spoiler:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23, damage 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (2, 6) + 6 = 14 Cleave if applicable 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19, damage 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (6, 1) + 6 = 13


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Behold, your death at our hands! .

Gan sends visions of the (unhurt) goblin's death, casting Daze on him. He then moves aside to give a clear line of fire for Shalelu.

Tristan, don't forget Guidance :-)


28/28 hp

Per Shisumo, Shalelu has a clear line of fire. You are behind and beside Halgor and Tybus. She is the same, but on the opposite side.

From the description of positions, I think Halgor is on the right near Gan.

Halgor will step forward 5', raise his battleaxe in his left hand, and bellow, "C'mon, you ankle-biters! Receive the gift of Torag!" With his right hand, he flings another acid dart at the goblin that Shalelu did not shoot.

Attack 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9 including Hatred bonus
Damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Seeing an opening, Tybus will step up within the goblins' reach (I understand that they can't make AOOs if they're flat-footed; here's hoping they don't have Combat Reflexes) and take a swipe at the injured one with his cutlass.

Swift Action: spend an arcane pool point to charge his weapon.

Melee attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

bloody dice roller...


28/28 hp

Lamsfel slips around the door and tries to move behind the near goblin (Tybus' foe, I believe) and take advantage of the flank.

Attack with shortsword 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Damage 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


Gan's magic wraps around the mind of the goblin warrior, and it struggles to escape the terrifying visions. Will save 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 Unfortunately for it, however, all it can do is stand there and tremble.

Tybus Elhezen wrote:
(I understand that they can't make AOOs if they're flat-footed; here's hoping they don't have Combat Reflexes)

Yeah, about that...

As Tybus closes in, however, the other strikes out with surprising speed, seemingly more prepared for the sailor's assault than he would have guessed. At least Gan kept you from taking two AoOs... horsechopper attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20, damage 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Even as Tybus' own blow falls short, though, Lamsfel's stealthy slash ends the goblin's life, and a moment later, Tristan does the same for its still-frozen ally.

80 more XP for you, and another round's worth of actions. I'll get an updated map up tonight or tomorrow morning.


28/28 hp

Halgor will step back to the end of the bridge to avoid healing any goblins before channeling energy, specifically targeting Tybus.

1d6 ⇒ 6

Shalelu and Lamsfel both move just inside the gates, he going left, she going right, and pressing themselves against the inner walls before they use their low-light vision to study the interior.

Lamsfel's Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

Shalelu's Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

Anyone:
If you want to run one of our NPC's, let me know. I mostly wanted to make sure that we don't stall waiting for someone else to post for them. I don't mind running them, but I'm not greedy - if someone else wants to, just pipe up.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Gan will stay behind the front-liners and cast Guidance on Lamsfel.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Hopefully Halgor caught Tristan in the channeled energy, since I think he had a couple scratches from the firepelt cougar. (And Lamsfel, you're doing great. Let us know if you feel overwhelmed handling three characters.)

Tybus looks bewildered for a moment, the pain of the deep gash from the goblin suddenly disappearing, making him wonder if he hadn't imagined it. But no, he sees the rend in his tunic where the horsechopper caught him. Me thanks, mate, he grins to Halgor.

Tybus juggles a bit with the items in his hands and pulls out a scroll. With a command, he activates the magic contained within, then lets the spent parchment float away in the wind. Shield


28/28 hp

At that range, he should have caught the entire party, I believe. That was the intent - catch the party and avoid the goblins.

I don't mind running the three characters. I'm open to suggestions if someone wants to see them do something other than what I'm doing with them, of course.


Map updated.

The large courtyard is open to the sky; tenacious clumps of grass, trampled by goblin feet for decades or longer, still manages to grow fitfully here and there. The hard-packed earth beneath your feet is stained in places with blood and torb by deep furrows in others. To the north, two dead goblins lie slumped at the entrance to an outbuilding.

To your left, a door bursts open and three goblins, waving dogslicers and reeking of pickle juice, burst through it into the courtyard. Their expressions are half fury and half wary fear, but they shriek battlecries and prepare to charge nonetheless.

Initiatives!


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Look sharp! Anklebiters to the port side!

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Init 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2
Gan Liang wrote:
Init 1d20 + 1

Man, my terrible rolling in my other two campaigns is offset by my nastiness in this one!


28/28 hp

Initiatives

Lamsfel 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Shalelu 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Halgor 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (8) + 0 = 8


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Initative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13


Goblin initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Tybus, Lamsfel and Gan can take actions. Per the map, the goblins are in the squares just in front of the doors on the west side of the courtyard; per your pervious actions, only Lamsfel and Shalelu have entered the courtyard proper, while Tybus and Tristan are just outside, with Gan behind them and Halgor back right next to the end of the bridge.

Also, the coming weekend is going to be a serious beatdown for me; I likely won't be posting until at least Monday morning, and maybe Tuesday morning if I really get kicked around.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Is C-11 the courtyard?

Again, Gan could hear the voice in his head, prodding him forward. His unseen ally warned him of the impending danger moments before the goblins arrived. The old man moved around behind his friends and droned the words of a spell, weaving a suggestion into the fabric of the magic.

Leave here in peace

Gan casts suggestion on the three goblins and will make the bolded suggestion above to those who fail their save. They get +2 to their saves because it's during combat, so the effective difficulty for the WS is 13.

Number of HD of goblins affected: 2d4 ⇒ (1, 1) = 2


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2
Gan Liang wrote:

Is C-11 the courtyard?

Again, Gan could hear the voice in his head, prodding him forward. His unseen ally warned him of the impending danger moments before the goblins arrived. The old man moved around behind his friends and droned the words of a spell, weaving a suggestion into the fabric of the magic.

Leave here in peace

Gan casts suggestion on the three goblins and will make the bolded suggestion above to those who fail their save. They get +2 to their saves because it's during combat, so the effective difficulty for the WS is 13.

Number of HD of goblins affected: 2d4

Needed a 3 or higher on 2d4 and got a 2. That's what I get for celebrating my good dice. Totally jinxed myself. :-)


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

I was hoping to find out if Gan's magic is successful; it looks like he can (at most) affect two of the goblins if they fail their saves. I suppose that I might as well attack whatever one doesn't succumb. I'll make sure to leave a clear path for any that feels motivated to leave the fight.

Cutlass attack on non-suggested goblin: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Back! Miss me?

C11 is indeed the courtyard.

Gan's spell (which is hypnotism, by the way) washes over the leading goblin and the southernmost of its allies. Will saves: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14, 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17. Shockingly, neither seems to fall prey to his magic.

Tybus, seeing the magic fail, rushes forward and cuts down the foremost goblin. The other two brandish their weapons menacingly at him.

Lamsfel is still up before the gobbos.


28/28 hp

Moving alongside Tybus, Lamsfel says, "Ah, the good old days, bum-rushing pirates off the deck. Nice cut, boy."

Short sword 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Damage 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

I assume I had to move more than 5' feet and cannot try a full attack.


Lamsfel's attack terribly wounds but does not kill his foe, who takes this (probably last) chance to counterattack. Dogslicer attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10, damage 1d4 ⇒ 1.

Meanwhile, its remaining companion steps over the fallen goblin and tries a cut at Tybus, its dogslicer dripping with vile pickle juice: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20, damage 1d4 ⇒ 3.

Your actions, everyone.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Join your friends in oblivion, wretch!

Gan EE the AC of the Gobbo by Tybus. Then he shouts to his companions:

Do not resist the whisperings of the Faceless One. Heed his advice while you can!

that's Gan's reminder to Tristan and Lamsfel to use your Guidance before it wears off, hehe


28/28 hp

Lamsfel nods to the goblin as he parries and pokes with his twin swords.

"There you go, vermin, at least you do honor to your ancestor anklebiters."

Full attack, both swords:

Primary 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23 includes +1 Guidance (thanks) and -2 TWF penalty
Damage 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Confirmation Roll 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Damage 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Secondary 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9 includes -2 TWF penalty
Damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Scoring what must have been a mortal hit, the elf meets the goblin's stricken eyes and nods. "Just let it go, rat, I have better things to do."


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Tristan moves up and engages the goblins.

Greatsword attack (with Guidance)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12, damage 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (2, 3) + 6 = 11 Cleave if applicable 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14, damage 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (3, 4) + 6 = 13.

1,001 to 1,050 of 1,488 << first < prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shisumo's Jade Regent Prologue - Burnt Offerings All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.