Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Shisumo's Jade Regent Prologue - Burnt Offerings

Game Master Shisumo


1 to 50 of 1,488 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Four Years Ago...

1st of Desnus, 4707 AR

So far, the Swallowtail Festival in the small town of Sandpoint has been a dazzling experience. Beginning midmorning with speeches from the town's mayor, Kendra Deverin, the sheriff, Belor Hemlock, and local luminaries Cyrdak Drokkus and Father Zantus (the owner of the local theater and the town's priest of Desna, respectively), the festival has been filled with singing, entertainment, dancing, games and more, overwhelming you with sounds, colors, and the sense of sustained enjoyment from a whole town coming together. The butterfly release at noon, in which swallowtail butterflies sacred to Desna were released into the air in a swirling, fluttering mass of color, was matched by the bewildering array of free dishes brought forth by the town's five taverns for lunch. The spicy smells of the Rusty Dragon's curried salmon drew the lion's share of the crowd, but the Hagfish's clam chowder, the White Deer's tuna and pasta and even the thick beef stew from the Fatman's Feedbag all earned their portion of acclaim as well.

Now, however, the day is drawing to its close, when Father Zantus is scheduled to formally dedicate the town's new cathedral, a beautiful stone and glass structure containing shrines to the six most popular deities in the region: Abadar, Desna, Erastil, Gozreh, Sarenrae and Shelyn. Buily over the ruins of the town's previous temple, destroyed in a fire five years before, the cathedral is a shining testament to the will of Sandpoint's people to overcome adversity, and the town has waited five years for this moment.

Each of you makes your way through the crowd that now gathers before the cathedral, waiting for Father Zantus to begin the dedication ceremony.


28/28 hp

Moving through the crowd is a rail of an elf at least a full head taller than all but the tallest man present. He says little as he moves through the crowd, but he smiles and acknowledges folks' attention. He is definitely not one of those aloof forest dwellers that comes to town from time to time.

If you're from Sandpoint, you know you've never seen him before this morning. If you're not from Sandpoint, you assume he must be a local because he seems to know everyone he meets.

He's just one of those guys for whom a stranger is merely a friend he hasn't met yet. With his height, he doesn't have to be particularly close to see the speaker and he knows that it's difficult for those that stand behind him to see. As a result, he will angle for a spot where he can stand with his back to a wall to avoid blocking someone else's view.


Female Human (Varisian) Oracle (Waves): 1

Dancing and food and games and music! What more could a Varisian hope for? As if her first sight of the ocean had not been enough... it is almost as though the entire town had planned a grand party just for her. Of course Marcelina realizes that could never be the case, but she is determined to enjoy herself just as much as if it were. And so she has spent the day doing just that, mingling with the crowd, tasting the different foods, dancing with whoever asks, and generally letting any care or worries she might have (which are few enough) fall by the wayside.

As the day begins to draw to a close, she finds herself drawn along with the rest of the crowd to hear what the good father has to say. She even tries to get up as close as she can, so that she can more easily hear.

Edit: I should mention that, as she's at a festival, Marcelina is not wearing her armor or carrying her spear. I just can't see that.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Locals might recognize the gray-haired Tian man as the loner who occasionally comes to town to trade for necessities. Most would be hard pressed to remember his name. His clothes are well-worn but also well-kept, and something seems different about him this time. He walks around with more confidence and a sense of purpose, enjoying the festival and everything the town has to offer. He seems, somehow, younger now than his last visit to town.


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

With a blissful smile the brown-haired man-boy strides through the crowd, finally in his element. Stomach full after having sampled most of the dishes, Tristan looks around big-eyed at everything. Sandpoint is not a big city by his standards but the festival surpasses most things he has experienced so far.

Trailed by a small bunch of kids pestering him to do magic tricks for them, he approaches the cathedral, obligingly lifting one of the kids onto his shoulders and gazing expectantly ahead.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

This young human stands out because of his patchwork, weather-beaten garb haphazardly assembled from dozens of cultures from numerous ports of call. While he wouldn't rate a second glance in a seedier town such as Riddleport, Sandpoint denizens might think to check their purses after he walks by. At least, until they see his face, full of cheer as the festival of Desna lifts his spirits. Before long, he's eating and drinking with the other revelers like a native of Sandpoint.


The five of you, among dozens of others, have crammed together in the large square in front of the new cathedral. A speaking stand and podium face the square; a young man in soft gray robes covered with patches that resemble butterflies' wings now steps forward, smiling broadly down at the crowd. Abstalar Zantus has been at the center of the festival all day, but this last event is the most important for nearly all of Sandpoint. Father Zantus hurls a small object, like an oversized pebble, at the platform, and a sharp crack! cuts through the crowd's chatter, bringing silence almost at once. Under a nearby wagon, a sleeping dog jerks awake and begins barking, but everyone else is quiet.

With a deep breath, Zantus opens his mouth to speak, but instead a sharp scream slices the air, the sound of a woman's pure terror. Other screams follow it, and Zantus looks around in shock and confusion as a high-pitched maniacal tittering, like nothing a human could make this side of sanity, is suddenly heard from several directions around the square. A dark blue-grey shape blurs past the dog under the wagon, and its barks are suddenly cut off with a pained squeak and a wet gurgle. Its throat has been slit, and as the blood pools around its head, a strange, high-pitched song in a scratchy language begins to fill the air.

Perception checks, if you please.

DC 12:
Under the corner of the wagon, you see a crouched goblin licking the dog's blood off of its flimsy-looking blade. It scans the crowd as though searching for another tasty target. Two more goblins are hiding behind a set of barrels as well, and they too have weapons at the ready.

You are not surprised. Roll initiative.


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


Female Human (Varisian) Oracle (Waves): 1

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Marcelina starts at the scream and does the same thing everyone else is doing, namely looking everywhere for what could have caused it. However, being so far in the front puts her at a severe disadvantage when it comes to seeing anything but other people.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Not sure how close I am, but I believe I get -1 for every 10 ft or something


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

The old man senses fear from his familiar hidden in his robe pockets. He scans the crowd and sees the source of trouble, pointing to the wagon and then the barrels.

There! Goblins! Summon the guards!

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10 initiative


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 13


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Lamsfel, you see that?

Gestures toward the creatures with a bowl of clam chowder, slopping some over the brim.

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13


28/28 hp

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

Scanning the crowds, the elf points, "Uh-huh, goblins. I see three so far. One there, two over there." He sighs, "They are like rats on a ship - if there's one, there's a dozen. Why do they have to spoil Desna's festival, of all days?"

Initiative 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Lamsfel has left his bow and arrows, along with his short swords, at the Rusty Dragon. He is armed with a pair of daggers because he doesn't dare go completely unarmed, but openly bearing weaponry to a cathedral dedication - let alone a celebration dedicated to the Song of the Spheres - just didn't feel right.


Look! It's a map!

(Special thanks to Black Tom for the mapping idea.)

If I did it right, it should be editable. Please place yourselves on the map. The goblins are G1, G2 and G3; I think everything else is self-explanatory, but just in case, the black spaces are buildings surrounding the town square, the brown area is the paved portion of the square, and everything else is pretty much as marked. Special note: during this combat, the press of the crowd makes pretty much the entire map difficult terrain That makes charging impossible, and drastically slows down movement.

Goblin initiatives: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

Technically Tristan hasn't rolled his initiative yet, but since he's mathematically incapable of beating the goblins, I'm just going to go with it.


Female Human (Varisian) Oracle (Waves): 1

Oooohhh Maaap. :) I went ahead and put Marcelina on there, even if she's too oblivious to have even rolled init yet. :)


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Initiative:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


The goblins scatter through the crowd, intent on causing bloody mayhem wherever they go. The screams of the townsfolk make an odd counterpoint to the strange song that still continues from every direction.

One of the goblins starts to scramble up onto the wagon Climb 1d20 ⇒ 8 while another rushes toward the speaking platform Climb 1d20 ⇒ 17, waving its vicious blade at a stunned and uncertain Father Zantus. The third knocks over one of the barrels it was hiding behind and begins rocking it back and forth, as though preparing to roll it somewhere.

Everyone but Marcelina may now act.


28/28 hp

@Tybus: "Come on! We can't let them do this!"

I believe Lamsfel can move from the (Lamsfel) space to his new position with 60' of double movement. As he moves, he draws both daggers.


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Tristan gingerly lifts the little girl off his shoulders and draws his sword. "Please move away, people. Those creatures are dangerous."

Tristan is armed but not armored. I'm not sure how far I can get in the surprise round (I guess 15 feet), but I will definitely try to close with the goblins.


Lamsfel wrote:

@Tybus: "Come on! We can't let them do this!"

I believe Lamsfel can move from the (Lamsfel) space to his new position with 60' of double movement. As he moves, he draws both daggers.

Unfortunately, in a surprise round, a double move is not possible.

Tristan Tarrascon wrote:
Tristan is armed but not armored. I'm not sure how far I can get in the surprise round (I guess 15 feet), but I will definitely try to close with the goblins.

15 feet is correct.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Thinks briefly about throwing the bowl of chowder at the nearest goblin, but decides that's a waste
Instead, steps around Lamsfel, conjures a blob of acid and sends it toward the first goblin.

Ranged touch attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

"Ugly little critters, aren't they? I've spotted three; do you see any more?"


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

I'll cast Daze on Goblin 3 (DC 14 WS)


The glob of acid conjured by Tybus goes over the goblin's head, and it shrieks and jumps up and down on the wagon, laughing at him. As Lamsfel and Tristan move closer, Gan's magic settles over the goblin on the platform (Will save 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9) causing it to stare, drooling, for several long seconds.

Waiting for Lamsfel to pick his final movement spot - he can basically pick between H14 and I15. Also, Marcelina can roll initiative if she likes (though I don't see how she's going to beat a 25...)


28/28 hp

Bah, sorry about that. Movement corrected.


Female Human (Varisian) Oracle (Waves): 1

What the heck, I'll throw it out there.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The goblin behind the barrel laughs maniacally, then starts rolling it through the crowd, sending people flying out of its way as it hurtles across the cobblestones. Stopping just short of Tybus, it blinks up at the sailor, then starts laughing maniacally again. Overruning all the poor crowd members between it and Tybus, but its movement is just short of hitting Tybus directly. The barrel gives the little bugger cover, by the way.

On top of the wagon, seeing Lamsfel's approach, the goblin looks around, grabbing a hammer from the wagonbed and hurling it at the elf's head. Improvised club attack: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5.

Your actions.


28/28 hp

Does Lamsfel get an AoO against BarrelGoblin?

Lamsfel steps up to the wagon and attacks WagonGoblin. Can't make a 5' step in difficult terrain, so only a single attack.

Attacking WagonGoblin 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Dagger damage 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

If the AoO was possible:

Attacking BarrelGoblin 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Dagger damage 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


Lamsfel lashes out with his daggers, once at the goblin rushing past with its barrel (although he must dodge some members of the crowd who are leaping aside as he does) and once at his tormentor on the wagon. Both strikes connect, leaving vicious wounds.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Young lady, please help Father Zanthus. My spell won't hold that creature long.

He fixes G2 with a chilling stare (Evil Eye Hex--WS DC 14. Failure equals 7 rounds, success equals one round -2 to AC).

Gestures to the brawny sailor.

Little bugger shouldn't be too hard to hit now. He hehehehehehehehee (Gan move action cackles, increasing the duration of Evil Eye by one)


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2
DM Shisumo wrote:
Lamsfel lashes out with his daggers, once at the goblin rushing past with its barrel (although he must dodge some members of the crowd who are leaping aside as he does) and once at his tormentor on the wagon. Both strikes connect, leaving vicious wounds.

Ooh, uh, is G2 dead? If so, can I change my turn? Danger of PbP with the simulposts :-)


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

And I just remembered that Marcelina can only speak and understand Aquan right now. This is going to get interesting, hehe.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

"Laugh this off!" I try to roll the barrel onto the goblin to trip him up or squish him, then draw my cutlass.

Not sure how you'd like to adjudicate that action. It could be opposed strength checks or a CMB check (same modifier with either -- +3) or an improvised weapon (-1).

here's the roll: 1d20 ⇒ 11

Edit: Then use a swift action for Arcane Strike, after my weapon's drawn.


If he were down or dead, I'd've said so, no worries.

Back tonight to adjudicate results.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2
Tybus Elhezen wrote:

"Laugh this off!" I try to roll the barrel onto the goblin to trip him up or squish him, then draw my cutlass.

Not sure how you'd like to adjudicate that action. It could be opposed strength checks or a CMB check (same modifier with either -- +3) or an improvised weapon (-1).

here's the roll: 1d20

And gobbo gets -2 to AC from Evil Eye, though not sure if that would effect CMD.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2
DM Shisumo wrote:

If he were down or dead, I'd've said so, no worries.[/ooc

[ooc]Back tonight to adjudicate results.

Cool, thanks.


Female Human (Varisian) Oracle (Waves): 1

For some reason I can't access the map from work but I'll do my best.

Seeing utter chaos breaking out around her, Marcelina's first thought is to help people get out of the area safely. But then she finally spots the goblins, particularly the one heading for the good father. Whether she hears Gan's call over the general din is unknown, but she does make for the goblin as best she can through the press. Water from who knows where seems to slide around her hand like a glove as she reaches out towards the evil creature, intent on freezing it.

Assuming she can reach it, here are the rolls.

Wintery Touch: 1d20 ⇒ 17
Cold damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Tristan tries to cut down the nearest goblin with his ridiculously oversized sword.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 112d6 + 6 ⇒ (5, 6) + 6 = 17


The goblin quails beneath Gan's gaze Will save: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (5) - 1 = 4, and then is knocked to the ground beneath its own barrel. Calling it a trip maneuver with a +2 bonus for the barrel, which is the same bonus the goblin was going to get on its overrun attempt. Also, all penalties to AC also affect CMD, so Evil Eye does its thing.

Marcelina wrote:

Assuming she can reach it, here are the rolls.

Wintery Touch: 1d20
Cold damage: 1d6

Marcelina can reach it, but doing so will require a Climb check, DC 5.

Tristan Tarrascon wrote:
Tristan tries to cut down the nearest goblin with his ridiculously oversized sword.

Tristan should have also had an AoO as the goblin went by. If you like, you can call that attack your AoO and still take a regular action.


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Tristan slashes again, mindful of the bystanders. "Seriously, people, get out of my way. I need space to swing this." 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 122d6 + 6 ⇒ (3, 2) + 6 = 11


Hammered by the witch's curse and exposed by having been knocked flat, the goblin does not even have a chance to squeak before Tristan's blade splits it messily in two.

That's one down.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Is Father Zanthus armed/armored?


Female Human (Varisian) Oracle (Waves): 1

Assuming that she can't just take 10 on that, (I don't know if she's under duress right now or not really) here's the roll.

1d20 ⇒ 4

Dang. Oh well. :)


Gan Liang wrote:
Is Father Zanthus armed/armored?

Not unless he's managed to sneak a magic vestment onto those robes of his.

Marcelina wrote:

Assuming that she can't just take 10 on that, (I don't know if she's under duress right now or not really) here's the roll.

1d20

Dang. Oh well. :)

Yeah, I figure pretty much any time you're reduced to speaking Aquan, you're not going to be able to take 10 on things without cool class abilities.

Marcelina tries to climb onto the platform so that she can help Father Zantus, but her icy grip sadly interferes; her hand slips off, and she nearly catches her chin on the platform when it does. Righting herself, she tries again rolling the Climb check myself to keep things moving: 1d20 ⇒ 15, but by the time she scrambles up the goblin is already slashing at the priest with its blade. Dogslicer attack 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12, damage 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3. Zantus throws himself aside at the last moment, and the blade only manages to slice open the hem of his robe.

Oblivious to the grisly fate met by its companion at Tristan's hands, the goblin on the wagon shrieks what seems like a victory cry as it too attacks, trying to slice off one of Lamsfel's ears, which is can only reach because of its location. Dogslicer attack with higher ground bonus: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18, damage 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

You guys are up.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

(Glances at the bloody sword wielded by Tristan, then glances at his smaller cutlass.) "I've seen rudders smaller than that blade! Anyway, two more of them, near the stage. Let's have at 'em!"

Next opportunity, I'll move in that direction.


Tybus Elhezen wrote:

(Glances at the bloody sword wielded by Tristan, then glances at his smaller cutlass.) "I've seen rudders smaller than that blade! Anyway, two more of them, near the stage. Let's have at 'em!"

Next opportunity, I'll move in that direction.

With a double move you can threaten either goblin, but the press of bodies means you can't get close enough to attack either of them this round.


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Grim-faced, Tristan makes way to the goblin on the wagon. "Nasty little critters", he curses under his breath, as he brings his sword down once more.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 92d6 + 6 ⇒ (2, 3) + 6 = 11


Tristan's blade slams into the wagon, sending splinters flying, but the goblin is unscathed.


Female Human (Varisian) Oracle (Waves): 1

Oddly, most of the goblin's action post wont show unless I start to write a post. Had me confused for a bit.

Finally atop the stage, Marcelina makes for the goblin, intent on catching it this time.

I'm assuming she still has the use of Wintery Touch since it didn't go off.

Wintery Touch: 1d20 ⇒ 13
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2
Marcelina wrote:

Oddly, most of the goblin's action post wont show unless I start to write a post. Had me confused for a bit.

Finally atop the stage, Marcelina makes for the goblin, intent on catching it this time.

I'm assuming she still has the use of Wintery Touch since it didn't go off.

Wintery Touch: 1d20
Damage: 1d6

Crud, I was going to Evil Eye his armor class before you attacked. I was like, 3 minutes too late :-) . If I'm still able to go before you even though you already posted your die roll (I think my initiative was higher)I'll Evil Eye that thing's armor class. If I'm not allowed to do that after seeing your roll (totally understandable if this is how it's ruled) then I'll instead Evil Eye the attack rolls of the goblin near Zanthus

1 to 50 of 1,488 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shisumo's Jade Regent Prologue - Burnt Offerings All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.