Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Sheik Voodoo's Katapesh Nights

Game Master voodoo chili

From the City of Bazaars to the City of Brass.


2,701 to 2,750 of 5,826 << first < prev | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | next > last >>

On foot it takes some time to reach the falls by a somewhat overgrown footpath that wends through brush and marshes along the river and then over rocky outcroppings to the falls. The sun is high overhead though the temperature cools as you near the double streams that plunge some 80-feet into the churning pool.

approach? sneak and perception checks?


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: VERY VERY DEAD/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

I carefully sneak ahead watching for whatever may be there, bow with arrow notched and ready.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Stealth: 1d20 + 11 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 11 - 2 = 14 <-- -2 from Armor

While I am very observant of what is ahead of me, apparently I was not paying attention to what was beneath my feet. Crack goes a branch.


Male Elf Bard - 6

I also try to quietly head to the waterfall. Rapier drawn and ready, seeing that Kzrira has her bow drawn.

Perception : 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Stealth : 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

Auri takes to the air again to begin his overwatch routine...
"If you see me start making tight circles, it is because I can see enemy below moving into position... I will circle them like a vulture waiting for a kill"

Auri shoots up into the sky...


The roar of the falls makes it hard to hear anything as you approach. Leading the way, Kzrira peers through the swirling mist and spots a female form made of living water just before it sees her and disappears into the churning water.

Though apparently made of water, the creature closely resembled a human woman of average height including an aura of mist around her head that resembled wooly hair. However, from the waist down it was a column of water and perhaps to make up for the lack of lower limbs it had an extra set of arms.


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: VERY VERY DEAD/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

I look back at the others. What do you bookish types know about water monsters? There was a woman who appeared to be partially made of water here? You know anything about such a monster or woman? Seems a strange place for water creatures with all the fire monsters stuff we have seen.


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

Know (religion or planar?)1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


Male Human Wizard (Conjurer)/ Level: 6 |HP: 37 of 37| F=3 R=4 W=7 |Initiative +6| Perception +7 |AC 12(16 w/ Mage Armor)

"I know quite a bit about a wide variety of creatures" Karethas cranes his neck to inspect the creature.


KNOWLEDGE PLANES CHECK:1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17(4 rank, +3 class skill, +4 Int)


Although it bore some resemblance to an elemental, it was not any extraplanar being of which Karethas or Aurichalcum have ever heard.


Male Elf Bard - 6

Knowledge (Planes) : 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (18) + 15 = 33

I rub my chin in thought as I try to work out what water-type beings are similar to this and by deduction, what this being would be.


Although Faelar didn't look up fast enough to catch sight of the creature before it disappeared into the pool, he listens carefully to Kzrira's description and racks his encyclopedic knowledge of genies and other extraplanar beings. He comes to the conclusion that it is not elemental, but some sort of fey being.


Male Elf Bard - 6

Knowledge (Nature) : 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: VERY VERY DEAD/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Assuming that Faelar tells us what he knows:

A fey creature? Like the pugwampis? Well, if nothing else, I now have these few arrows with cold iron heads on them. They should cause her to feel pain. Lets just hope that we do not need to fight. This is a beautiful waterfall and I would hate of leave it covered in blood - ours or the feys.


Male Elf Bard - 6

I would have passed on the information, yes.

I look to Kzrira, "Why violence? She could live here, I would like to go and speak with her ... maybe she is just lonely and shy as we are armed coming towards her?"


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: VERY VERY DEAD/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

I will not initiate violence, but I will finish it if necessary. You are free to speak with her if you can. But be careful, your inquiries have not always gone the way you intended.


Bluff (11) Perception (10*) Stealth (14) :: Init (+3) :: HP (64) :: F(6)/R(7)/W(3)

Trying to catch up but what was the final treasure distribution? I will take the axe for now (just in case) but I don't think I need the mail so we should sell that.

The fey are not to be trifled with but if they are to be friendly I would wage the elf has the best chance both by temperament and by blood. We will be ready if things go awry.


Male Human Wizard (Conjurer)/ Level: 6 |HP: 37 of 37| F=3 R=4 W=7 |Initiative +6| Perception +7 |AC 12(16 w/ Mage Armor)

Karethas smiles as he produces a scroll from his scroll case, "Well then, this may be a case where thinking ahead pays off." He hands the scroll to Faelar, "This contains a spell that will allow you to understand any spoken language for a time. I believe you should be able to cast it from the scroll with your arcane abilities. Beware though, as Amir has said fey can be dangerous, they can be tricky and fickle."


Male Elf Bard - 6

I take the parchment of paper and prepare to read it.

Just waiting to see if I know anything before continuing.


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: VERY VERY DEAD/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Try talking to her first. Perhaps she speaks a language you do. Remember, comprehend languages allows you to understand her, but not to speak to her. That would require Tongues.


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

"I can communicate with her, I think"


Male Human Wizard (Conjurer)/ Level: 6 |HP: 37 of 37| F=3 R=4 W=7 |Initiative +6| Perception +7 |AC 12(16 w/ Mage Armor)

"I know the language of water creatures, which she may speak. Unfortunately I do not speak Sylvan, which is the language of most fey. Get her to speak and we shall see."


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

"Everybody loves a Dragon, especially my lineage which is known to be entertaining and benevolent!" Auri puffs himself up.

With a gentle flap of his wings he starts moving towards the area he believes the lady to be before reaching out with his mind.

"I, Aurichalcum, Wyrm of the great Brass lineage, am here with peaceful purpose and wish to converse with you gentle lady of the Waters"

He maintains a hover around 10' aloft.


Faelar Braegen wrote:
Knowledge (Nature) : 1d20+8

Faelar, I'm not seeing Know (nature) listed under your skills. Are you using bardic knowledge? either way, it isn't high enough.

Aurichalcum feels a voice in his mind cool and pure as the sparkling water cascading from above. "Little dragon, I can see that you are pure of heart. What is it you wish to speak about?"


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

"I am with a group of decent folk who are liberating the fallen Kelmarane and driving away the evil creatures and slavers that dwell there and whilst we were doing so we heard a rumour that this place was haunted; obviously we felt we needed to investigate such a claim and see what manner of spirit might be residing in this oasis of splendour. Perhaps at some point Kelmarane might need a clean source of water, and we would check first that a supply like this would be safe, or whether it was inhabited - by fair creatures or foul".

"My friends would wish also to talk to you; they are a decent and noble bunch, perhaps you would be willing to talk to them?"


The response comes from somewhere beneath the churning waters, "Little Dragon, I am the Guardian of the Twin Falls. Those who would foul or misuse my waters will not be suffered as the hyena men found out. I sense no evil in you or your companions, but only time will tell. I prefer the sound of the waters to the strident voices of men. Leave in peace, but be mindful that I am watching."


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

"It would deeply sadden me if such beauty was polluted or misused, whether by accident or design. Should we seek to take what water you may wish to share with us in the future, I would first ask how we may do this in harmony with you"

He pauses a moment, "To further avoid risk of offending you, I would know if it is just the falls themselves you protect or whether there is something else here we need be mindful of disturbing? Are there any dangers nearby, to you or us?"


"Water is precious to all life. I ask only that this importance is understood and honored."

There is along pause and then the voice continues, "Long ago there were more jann here and other genie kind. The efreet perhaps might have posed some danger, but they are gone as well. Nothing near can threaten me, but... sometimes I sense... other outsiders. They are not bound to the elements as the genie were, they are aligned only with evil."


Male Elf Bard - 6

Yes, I was using my Bardic Knowledge ability, I shall put in another Skill for my untrained Knowledges.

Seeing that Auri has gone on ahead, I sit down and wait for him to return, looking a little upset that I wasn't able to be the one to speak with the maiden.


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: VERY VERY DEAD/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Seeing Auri hovering above the lake, and not being harmed or appearing in danger, I step out of the bushes and sit on a rock by the edge of the water. Ready to stand up should anything appear, but not making any hostile movements.


Male Human Wizard (Conjurer)/ Level: 6 |HP: 37 of 37| F=3 R=4 W=7 |Initiative +6| Perception +7 |AC 12(16 w/ Mage Armor)

Karethas keeps behind the cover of a tree. These people get injured entirely too much, and this is why.


Bluff (11) Perception (10*) Stealth (14) :: Init (+3) :: HP (64) :: F(6)/R(7)/W(3)

Amir looks over at Karethas from his position and sees the wizard shaking his head at the situation. Making eye contact the rogue will only wink and nod in agreement at the wizard's mental critique. :p


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

Auri reports back to his companions and lets them know what the story was.

"No harm coming from here, as long as we maintain good intentions and act decently!"

Auri finds himself a bit of shallow water by the edge and starts washing himself and getting the muck off his scales, seeking to restore them to their shimmering brassy beauty.

"Where to next?"


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: VERY VERY DEAD/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Does she know anything about the key or any other magic or monsters that might help us?

Also, is there anything that we can do for her? With all the gnolls and evil about, I assume there are things that she has been unable to acquire.


Despite further questions, nothing can be heard but the crashing of falling water upon the rocks.


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: VERY VERY DEAD/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Is there anything behind the waterfalls?

I carefully make my way around the pool and look at the waterfalls seeing whether there are any caves or passages behind them. But, being careful to not damage or destroy anything.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13


The pounding water and mist from the falls make an effective wall that impedes Kzrira's vision beyond.


Male Human Wizard (Conjurer)/ Level: 6 |HP: 37 of 37| F=3 R=4 W=7 |Initiative +6| Perception +7 |AC 12(16 w/ Mage Armor)

"I am satisfied with any creature that is willing to talk with us and will not attack us outright. At that point it is Almah's problem. Let's move on to the shrine."


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: VERY VERY DEAD/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Auri, can you talk to the water woman? Is there anything behind this wall of water? I can attempt to swim through if you all want.


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

"I'll come back and look behind the wall later. She has met us today and we are all friends. Maybe once she gets used to us she will be more comfortable with us poking around her lair, but if we turn up as friends and then over play our welcome then we might find it strains what is only just starting to blossom as a beautiful relationship"

Auri keeps scrubbing behind his ears and around his horns, embodying bliss and comfort in the waters.


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: VERY VERY DEAD/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Well, then lets find this shrine then. Let the water woman know that we will return once we have made sure that this area is safe from the gnolls and other evil denizens.

I return back with the others and begin to lead the way toward the shrine once the mighty dragon has finished fully buffing his scales.


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

"Good bye friend!" Auri pushes out to the watery woman.

There is a clear and obvious reluctance on behalf of the frolicking dragon to leave his playful activities at the waters edge. He rather lazily flaps into the air as though he'd really rather not and resumes his aerial activities.


Wisely deciding not to further antagonize a very powerful nature spirit, our heroes turn their attention to the hills and badlands searching for the rumored shrine.

survival checks required. perception for Auri.


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

Survival 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Leaving the cool waters seemes to have left the poor dragon a bit listless, and he keeps circling back for last glimpses of the happy oasis, mind completely off the job...


Male Elf Bard - 6

Still a little upset that I was unable to speak with the water maiden, I follow Kzrira eagerly to the shrine, "Think of the books and other reading materials that may be found at an ancient shrine!" I seem to have gotten over my previous depression and look to be able to hardly contain myself at the thought of something ancient to read.

Survival : 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: VERY VERY DEAD/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Kzrira looks back at Faelar and sarcastically retorts:

Think of the undead, desert, and mountain creatures that have likely take up residence in the monastery first.

Survival: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 <-- Extra +4 vs. getting lost, also Extra +2 vs. Gnolls

I really do not like this new system where the [dice] rolls are all on a separate line. Seems like an unnecessary coding change from Paizo.

Kzrira seems like a bloodhound with her tracking skills on this morning, and quickly leads off towards where she thinks the shrine can be found.


Male Elf Bard - 6

I agree, the new spacing is rather annoying. I also get a + 2 to Survival checks to avoid becoming lost, due to my Wayfinder.

While continuing to walk I think about what Kzrira says, "Ah but the chance to read some text THAT old, well I would go through any danger to do so. Undead, Desert or Mountain creatures shall not hold me back ..." My confidence seems to wain slightly as I realise what she said and I continue in a quieter less sure voice, "Well, that is with your help ... if there are any hostile creatures there ... Oh by The Eternal Rose I hope there isn't!"


The odds of easily finding the long abandoned shrine in a maze of canyons and odd rock formations are against you, but Kzrira's instincts hold true. After some hours she finds warning signs left my scavenging gnolls which guide her to the traces of an ancient path.

The shadows lengthen and the sun sinks to the tops of the Barrier Mountains when finally you in yourselves in a shadowy canyon that ends in a block shrine built into the cliff. A badly eroded statue of a man stands before the doorway into the darkness beyond.


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: VERY VERY DEAD/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Quietly - Well, we are here. Does anyone know who that statue is of or recognize to whom this shrine was dedicated. I assume that we will have to be much more careful if it was to a good deity to avoid damaging things as opposed to being dedicated to one of these evil fire djinn we keep finding references to.


Male Human Wizard (Conjurer)/ Level: 6 |HP: 37 of 37| F=3 R=4 W=7 |Initiative +6| Perception +7 |AC 12(16 w/ Mage Armor)

"I'm not a student of religion, but perhaps if it is a historical figure."
KNOWLEDGE HISTORY CHECK:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25(1 rank, +3 class skill, +4 Int)


Bluff (11) Perception (10*) Stealth (14) :: Init (+3) :: HP (64) :: F(6)/R(7)/W(3)

So many ruins and so few answers. What a place.

2,701 to 2,750 of 5,826 << first < prev | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Sheik Voodoo's Katapesh Nights All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.