Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Sheik Voodoo's Katapesh Nights

Game Master voodoo chili

From the City of Bazaars to the City of Brass.


2,601 to 2,650 of 6,489 << first < prev | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | next > last >>

Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: 56/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

How far can I move backwards if I use a withdraw action while prone?


Faelar's move catches the powerful janni off guard and his belated axe swing misses as the elf lunges forward to catch Kzrira while he works the healing wand. Unfortunately, his one-handed grab only tears her sleeve as she slips from his grasp. However, her eyes flutter open as she lies on the ground.

Kzrira- you can crawl five feet as a move action, but it provokes an AoO. So you can crawl 10 feet, but not use withdraw to avoid an AoO.


Male Human Wizard (Conjurer)/ Level: 6 |HP: 21 of 37/ 37NL| F=3 R=4 W=7 |Initiative +6| Perception +7 |AC 12(16 w/ Mage Armor)

Karethas moves closer to the scrum happening by the doorway and struggles to cast a cantrip. The amount of arcane energy he has summoned has clearly taken it's toll. "Finish him already!" The elemental glances at the worn conjurer and lashes out at the janni once more.

edited to change my action. The acid dart would have hit, but then though it would be better to daze and keep Kzrira alive.
Air elemental slam: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Damage:1d4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 1 + 2 = 4
Karethas moves to J14
Daze (DC 14 Will save)
Elemental will disappear at the beginning of my next turn.


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: 56/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

As Kzrira collapses to the ground, she feels the warmth of the healing from Faelar's wand. Remembering that she has a potion of healing in her pocket, she grabbs it and quickly drinks the potion. Before getting to her feet sure that she is going to feel the bite of the axe yet again.

Potion of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

HP: 11/32

As I get to my feet, I grab my shield to help protect from the expected blow.

AC:18 for this round.

I have the shield listed on my AC section, but not in my inventory. Pretty sure I should have one.


HP 64 | AC/Touch/Flat 20/14/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +6/+7/+3 | Init +3 | CMB +6; CMD 20 [ooc]Bluff (11) Diplomacy (6) Kno:Local (6) Perception (10*) Stealth (14)

Wow...this is rough...

Feint on the Div 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Attack with L.Mace 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Damage 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
SA if Applicale 1d6 ⇒ 4

Adrenaline pumping Amir again tries to lure the head into weakness hoping to end the engagement soon to intercede elsewhere. Die you miserable creature from beyond!


The cruel div is lured close by Amir's feint and then clobbered by the wily rogue. Amir feels the skull crack beneath the blessed mace and the creature falls to the floor horns clacking as it rolls a few feet away and dies.

The elemental rips at the scarred leader, who looks significantly weakened, but still resists Karethas' spell.

need Auri's action this round.


HP 64 | AC/Touch/Flat 20/14/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +6/+7/+3 | Init +3 | CMB +6; CMD 20 [ooc]Bluff (11) Diplomacy (6) Kno:Local (6) Perception (10*) Stealth (14)

Woo Hoo! I killed a floating...demon...head...thing! Yah! Now hopefully we can rally on the janni before we meet the same fate ;-p


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

Auri tries aiming for the scarred leader and charges toward him hoping to get into a flank.

Priority 1 is to charge to a flank of possible and attack, otherwise just position up into a flanker

Attack 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 8 + 2 + 2 = 28
Damage 1d6 ⇒ 3


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: 56/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)
Amir Awad Hajjir wrote:
Woo Hoo! I killed a floating...demon...head...thing! Yah! Now hopefully we can rally on the janni before we meet the same fate ;-p

Yeh - we would have been much better off if I had been unloading arrows into the boss instead of into the DR of the div skull.


Male Elf Bard - 6

I step back away from Kardswann and use the wand to try and remove some more of Kzriras wound.

Cure Light Wounds (Via Wand) : 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 *SIGH*


Kzrira fumbles for her potion as the imposing janni raises the axe for a killing blow. Suddenly, like an angry hornet, the tiny dragon dives from above striking Kardswann. The large axe clatters to the ground behind him and his eyes widen in disbelief as he feels what it is to be mortal and dying. He totters forward and with a sigh collapses burying Kzrira under his bulk.


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: 56/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Oof - can someone get this elemental swine off of me?

Strength: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Kzrira is pinned by his weight and unable to move the bulky dead Janni.


Haleen helps drag the janni off her ward. She seems relieved, but confused. "You're lucky to be alive. But I don't understand how he died. The little dragon's fire should not have harmed an elemental being." Closer inspection finds that a piece of metal from one of Kzrira's arrows that appeared to miss in fact broke off in his chest eventually finding its way to the genies' heart.


HP 64 | AC/Touch/Flat 20/14/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +6/+7/+3 | Init +3 | CMB +6; CMD 20 [ooc]Bluff (11) Diplomacy (6) Kno:Local (6) Perception (10*) Stealth (14)

Well this has been...exciting...

Amir scans the room to ensure that there is not an unaddressed threat. If nothing jumps out as needing a mace or sword swung at it, he will put away his weapons and move to assist Kzrira. Amir will cast a wary eye at this "Haleen" as he does so, her sudden shift in temperament makes Amir uneasy.


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: 56/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Kzrira gets back to her feet looking bloodied and worse for the wear.

Thank you Haleen. Yes, it was foolish. This was not how we intended to rescue you, unfortunately that annoying flying skull that Amir reduced to dust spotted us and after failing to affect us with his sorcery, attacked us and warned you janni friend.

What was he exactly? I have never felt such force before as I did when his axe struck.

Kzrira reaches down and picks up the janni's axe.

I do not know whether any of us can use this, but I am certainly not going to leave it for some gnoll to take as his own. Karethas or Faelar, does he have any more magic before we take our leave of this place, I think we all need some rest and healing before we go forward much farther.

Turning back to Haleen.
Is there a safe place here? If not, we shall find a place to make camp and return once we are all rested.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22 <-- I quickly scan the dead janni and the other foes for anything of value while keeping a wary eye on the remaining gnolls and slavers in the area.


Male Human Wizard (Conjurer)/ Level: 6 |HP: 21 of 37/ 37NL| F=3 R=4 W=7 |Initiative +6| Perception +7 |AC 12(16 w/ Mage Armor)

Karethas sighs heavily and puts his hands on his knees as he rests for a moment. Finally he looks up and nods at Kzrira. "Yes, I am quite spent and would like to find a place to rest too. I doubt any remaining gnolls would go after us at this point. I'm sure they are going to be quite demoralized by their leader's defeat." He focuses for a
moment and starts looking around at the equipment on the nearby bodies.

Cast Detect Magic and search the immediate area.


HP 64 | AC/Touch/Flat 20/14/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +6/+7/+3 | Init +3 | CMB +6; CMD 20 [ooc]Bluff (11) Diplomacy (6) Kno:Local (6) Perception (10*) Stealth (14)

I might be able to use the axe though it is not my usual style...but our journey is fraught with me acting out of my usual pace so why should this be any different?

Amir gestures at Auri and his shoulder if the dragon wants to perch a moment while Amir works with Karethas to look over the bodies. I must say my golden friend you fought with a vicious bravery, especially considering the occasional frailty of your size. Looking about Amir nods and gesture to everyone, All of us did fast and good work. We took punishment, to be sure, but I think we make an excellent team.


Male Elf Bard - 6

I help gather the rest of the equipment and stand by Amir while Karethas searches for any magical aura's, "I feel like I was not much help during the whole event, if truth be told. But you Aurichalcum, you fought like a Dragon of full size. I am sure this victory will hold a key to regaining your size given to you by birth right."

I glance over at Kzrira and Haleen, obviously a bit confused, "So this is the Haleen you were searching for? You have a strange way of greeting each other."


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: 56/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

I look at Amir a bit quizzically. We fought well, but really got lucky. You an Faelar just ran into the middle of an arena circled by archers. You two are lucky that you are not pin cushions right now. I am a good shot, but clearly Sarenrae was blessing me today as those gnolls went down easy. Before we take on another small army, we need to have some serious discussion of tactics. If you were part of any of the caravan guards I have been with, you would be let go about now for running into battle like that.

At the same time, you fought brilliantly taking out that ogre and slaying that horrific flying skull. Just next time please be more careful, neither of you are build like a giant, so please don't go charging into battle pretending to one.
___________
Ninjaed by Faelar.

I nod to Faelar. Yes, this is Haleen, my adopted mother. Haleen, may I introduce my companions. Amir, our roguish rascal, Faelar, our knowledge master and healer, Karethas, our skilled magician, and of course our mighty dragon, Auri.

Together Faelar, Amir, Karethas and I travelled here searching for you. The wise Auri joined us recently seeking to unlock his draconic powers.


Male Elf Bard - 6

"I only entered the combat to provide limited healing, after my favoured plan was thwarted. I had hoped to have the same effect on the Ogre as against the Snake, that would have been most fortuitous. But alas it was not so, but I shall take your advice and remain further away from direct confrontation from now on. I am lucky that no attacks were aimed at me."


Haleen's frown deepens as she listens to the talk of loot and tactics. She turns to Kzrira her golden skin deepening to near purple and explodes. "What in the Nine Hells are you doing here?! What are you now just another bandit?"

don't have my books on me for the loot. I'll still be traveling over the next week so hit and miss on updates.


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: 56/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

No problem. Update when you can.

Bandit? Never. Opportunist, yes. We came into here trying to determine what had happened. This town was taken over by evil forces and we have been asked by those who previously ruled here to see whether it was possible to reestablish the town.

We have been attack by gnolls several times and that horrid skull set a trap for us outside of town, a trap which killed one of the poor slaves you chief sent as bait. I do not think we killed the monster out there, but it seemed to be more of a predator than an evil creature.

The bigger questions is WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? Here in the middle of nowhere serving a vile creature like this. I turn and kick the janni's body. You were never evil, you were caring, you took care of me like I was your own daughter. You taught me to care for others. You taught me to be good. So, I repeat - What are you doing in this hellhole half destroyed gnoll infested town in the middle of the desert?


Male Elf Bard - 6

Suddenly realising my lack of manners, I turn to Haleen and bow, "Greetings; my fair lady, my name is Faelar, Faelar Braegen and it is my great honour to finally meet you. Miss Kzrira has been most worried about you. I am just glad my previous knowledge of you turned out to be someone different with a similar name, otherwise she would be heart-broken."


Haleen's mouth opens and closes several times as she pulls at her hair. "I can't talk to you right now!"

She turns to the small gathering of smugglers and crooks that have gathered, "Well folks, it looks like you're under new management." With that she heads to her quarters off the southern passage.


HP 64 | AC/Touch/Flat 20/14/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +6/+7/+3 | Init +3 | CMB +6; CMD 20 [ooc]Bluff (11) Diplomacy (6) Kno:Local (6) Perception (10*) Stealth (14)

Amir follows Haleen with a glance and a cocked eyebrow, Luck is as important to strategy as anything else. Besides, ogres make for excellent cover and I think that since you and the dragon were dealing with the archers it was the best we could do in the circumstances.
Standing idly by so that the ogre could confront you directly seems...unwise at best. But I will consider your observations in the future.

Looking out at the gathering people, I think for today we close down and clean up yes? Everyone get some rest and we can hit things fresh tomorrow!


Male Human Wizard (Conjurer)/ Level: 6 |HP: 21 of 37/ 37NL| F=3 R=4 W=7 |Initiative +6| Perception +7 |AC 12(16 w/ Mage Armor)

Karethas continues to strip the bodies as the conversation takes place. When Amir makes his announcement he calls out to the person he charmed, "Would you please help clear everyone out, and make sure no one takes anything that doesn't belong to them"


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

Auri stares at the dead body. He then looks about at his battered friends.

Then the litte Rajah struts away like a cat that licked the cream and launches into the air, circling the area and watching for any late arriving reinforcements.


Karethas finds several magical auras on Haleen before she leaves. Otherwise, one of the shops appears to have some minor magical goods. Surprisingly, the slain leader had only the ominous axe as dweomered gear.


Male Human Wizard (Conjurer)/ Level: 6 |HP: 21 of 37/ 37NL| F=3 R=4 W=7 |Initiative +6| Perception +7 |AC 12(16 w/ Mage Armor)

Karethas frowns as he struggles to pick up the giant axe. "This is the only magic item on Kardswann or on these gnolls. I think we will need to search the rest of the building to see if he was keeping any other valuables around." He squints up at the surrounding balconies. "Of course, we still need to get into that chamber in the church."


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: 56/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Kzrira watches Haleen stomp away and is unsure how to respond. She then looks down and sees the still large gash on her chest and arm from where the axe almost ended her life. You suddenly see the energy drain out of her.

I think that we may want to retreat now. I am not feeling so good and I think that Haleen needs to think. We need to find a place to rest, heal and recover spells.


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

"Hmmm so now what? She doesn't look like she holds answers to my quest."

Auri maintains his flying overwatch.


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: 56/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

I send out my thoughts to Auri - Auri, please tell Haleen that I still worry about her safety. I will not follow her, but with her lord dead and the other slavers here knowing of her connection to me, I want her safe and she can come find us if she wishes.


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

Auri flits away following Haleen. From the safety of a nearby rooftop, he sends the message to the strangely behaving human, then watches for any response before returning to the party to report on what happened.


Most of the few surviving gnolls flee immediately leaving behind only a trio of gnolls too stoned to move and the one-eyed gnoll bartender. He as well the rest of the shop owners refuse to leave their places of business. They demand to know who is in charge and how they will be compensated for their businesses.

Auri finds that Haleen has retreated to her quarters and does not respond to his queries.


Male Elf Bard - 6

I look to my travelling companions, "We could stay here for the night. The remaining people here don't look to want a fight, so we should be safe. Or we can head back to Her Highness and report what we have found and what has been accomplished here. Either way I would like to go and speak to Undra again, to let her know that she is truly free and does not need to worry about Kardswann enslaving her again."


Male Human Wizard (Conjurer)/ Level: 6 |HP: 21 of 37/ 37NL| F=3 R=4 W=7 |Initiative +6| Perception +7 |AC 12(16 w/ Mage Armor)

"Let's search the building and then barricade ourselves into the most secure room. If they want a fight tomorrow, then we can give them one." Karethas seems emboldened by the group's victory over Kardswann.


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: 56/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Lets find a safe place to rest for the night. I am still pretty hurting. I could use a few taps of that wand if it still works. Considering all the evil creatures that we have fought so far with ties to other realms, I would be surprised if there were not more hiding in the cracks somewhere. Lets get some rest and then make sure that the area is clear.

I borrow the CLW wand from Faelar:

CLW:1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
CLW:1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
CLW:1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

I go over the the shop keepers.

We are not planning on running this town, just freeing it from the evil tyrant who was in control. The former lord of this land is planning on returning and I would expect her within a few days. You are welcome to work out whatever agreements you wish with her.

I should have time to level up tonight. Since I am going fighter, not that many changes so it should be fairly easy.


The smugglers and dealers pester you with questions, but return to their shops to await the new boss. A quick tour of the battle market reveals that the ground floor contains the various shops, arena stage, bar, and gladiator/slave cells which are now empty.

The next level contains the orchestra area and guard quarters. Haleen's room is here and a closet off one of the guard rooms which contains items taken off Antar the Lion's ill fated party. There is a ring, a wand, a red and a blue cloak, and chainmail armor. All these radiate magic. Additionally, masterwork segmented breastplate and a quiver of 18 cold iron arrows are found.

The upper level is reached by a narrow staircase from a guard room and holds the balcony with thrones and the rulers' chambers.


Male Elf Bard - 6

Once we have explored the area I find a small room where I can get some sleep, once everyone has decided if we are staying here. "I would like to stay here, it is probably the safest place around."

During the search, were there any books found that I could read?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Faelar- unfortunately, gnoll's aren't particularly studious. There are a couple bindings and pages left in the jakes.


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: 56/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Faelar or Karethas, can either of you determine what magic is contained in the items we found?

I take the cold iron arrows.

These should be much more useful against the divs, although I will go through them pretty quick.

I also gather up any arrows left with the dead gnolls as well as their equipment.


HP 64 | AC/Touch/Flat 20/14/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +6/+7/+3 | Init +3 | CMB +6; CMD 20 [ooc]Bluff (11) Diplomacy (6) Kno:Local (6) Perception (10*) Stealth (14)

Perhaps it would be best if we determine what we are to do with these shopkeeps and what not? If the princess intends to take over this space I think that we should take steps to ensure that she knows what is here but also that these people know she is coming...


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

Auri looks over the magical items a bit curiously, poking and prodding at them, trying to fathom what their powers might be...

Big Axe: Spellcraft 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
ring: Spellcraft 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
wand: Spellcraft 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
cloak: Spellcraft 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
chainmail armor: Spellcraft 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: 56/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

I already told them.

The shop keepers can do whatever they want, they should be safe until the Princess gets here. Our job is to make sure that this place is safe for the Princess and her retinue get here. While we killed the janni, I think that there is someone or something else here. We have found two of these div things, who knows what else may be here.

Regarding the loot, Amir, I think that you should take the magic chainmail and I will take the breastplate. You are getting into more face to face combat, so it would be better if you had the armor. I will take the arrows. Until we figure out what the cloaks, the wand and the ring are, we cannot divide them up.

Now then, lets find a place to rest and recover before we see what else this evil infested place holds.

Auri - there is a second cloak I believe, one red and one blue.


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

a red AND A blue cloak, misread, thought it said red and blue
Spellcraft 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 !!!! newp!!

On that note, who's the party treasurer/loot splitter?


Male Elf Bard - 6

Darn it, I was hoping the previous occupants would have had some books and the Gnolls hadn't destroyed or found them, oh well.

I look disappointed that there were no books to be found but pick up the bindings and pages. I head to one of the shop-keepers and ask in my usual manner if they have any reading material. Once we have decided where we are staying for the night I sit down and read the pages.


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: 56/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Man, I seem to be losing a lot of posts recently.

Auri - splitting loot would require getting loot. This AP has been a little stingy up until this point. I have my bow, Amir has the mace he does not really like, and Faelar has a suit of +1 Studded Leather. That is about it.

I will take the arrows, Amir should take the better armor - probably the magic chainmail. I will take the breastplate (is a segmented breastplate different than a regular breastplate? Or is it an agile breastplate?) Hopefully Auri can use the ring and/or wand. For some reason I cannot see our mighty dragon flying around as the caped avenger.


M Pseudodragon - 15pt - Oracle (flame) 4

It has been very stingy with loot up til now, but now it seems the tide has turned and loot has now hit the table. It comes down to at some point we can begin dividing and selling/buying assets so kind of nice to know someone is tracking the stuff and handling the splits :P


HP 64 | AC/Touch/Flat 20/14/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +6/+7/+3 | Init +3 | CMB +6; CMD 20 [ooc]Bluff (11) Diplomacy (6) Kno:Local (6) Perception (10*) Stealth (14)

I think Karethas had been tracking it to some extent, but we can certainly assign that responsibility "officially" from here on out. As to the loot: Curious to see what the axe is. Armor may or may not begood option depending on how it stacks up with the mithril weight wise and issues of skill penalties.


Female Human Fighter/5, Ranger/1(HP: 56/61; AC22/25; FF17/20; T15; F+8, R+8, W+4/+5; Perc: +10, Init +4)

Lol - I have a higher Spellcraft than Auri, but cannot cast Detect Magic, so no help on the identifying. Karethas or Faelar should be able to ID whatever Auri missed on.

2,601 to 2,650 of 6,489 << first < prev | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Sheik Voodoo's Katapesh Nights All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.