Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Shattered Star: Broken Dreams (Inactive)

Game Master DancingShadow

Thassilon once represented the dreams of one man, but it was broken by the ambitions of his apprentices. Will adventurers be able to reforge his greatest creation to hold back the threat of his long-dead dream?


1 to 50 of 905 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Shade Psion 18

21 Rova, 4712
A missive finds its way into the hands of six different souls in the city of Magnimar. It reads:

Greetings, fellow seeker of adventure! I am Sheila Heidmarch, Venture Captain of the newest Pathfinder Society lodge—and the only such lodge in Varisia at this time. You have come to my attention as someone who possesses a certain amount of skills and interests that make you an excellent addition to a highly specialized team I’m putting together for a matter of grave import, not only to the Society, but to Varisia as a whole. Please report an hour before noon to Heidmarch Manor—you will be compensated for your visit, but that reward will pale in light of the riches that await you should we come to an agreement on my proposition to you. I look forward to meeting you soon! —Sheila Heidmarch

It's their first hint at the upcoming struggle. To each, there is a slight pull, a desire contained in this message. It's almost as if a small bit of fate is bound into each of those simple pieces of paper.

22 Rova, 4712
You each find yourselves, at different points, outside the large manor known as Heidmarch Manor, the one and only Pathfinder Lodge in Varisia. The place seems right at home in the upscale Alabaster district of Magnimar. However, the gates in the stone wall that surrounds the manor grounds lie open, a single guard sitting nearby, reclining in a chair. The place is inviting, if not a bit out-of-place here.

He offers a simple nod to those that pass into the grounds. "If'n yer here on Society biz'ness, then jus' ring tha' bell at tha' door."

A small pond sits between you and the front patio of the manor home, small paths winding around it to the patio and around the sides of the manor. A small building lies to the left, as does an atrium attached to the manor. A small series of hedges, perhaps a small maze lies to the right. On the patio, there is a small brass bell. As you approach the bell, you can see that the exterior is covered in intricate carvings depicting a number of soaring hawks, falcons, and other birds of prey.

The bell rings at the slightest touch, and you feel a bit of warmth from the missive in your pocket. The front door of the manor opens at the ring of the bell, a middle-aged varisian man standing at the entrance. "I assume that you are Pathfinders and members of the Society are always welcome here at Heidmarch Manor. Please come in. Lady Heidmarch is busy at the moment, so please wait here in the foyer. She'll come to get you as soon as her pressing business is finished." He steps to the side to allow entrance. "Ah, forgive my manners. My name is Alexandre and I am a servants of Lady Heidmarch. Might you desire a refreshment while you wait?"

Feel free to arrive, interact, and so on at your leisure.


AC16 T15 FF13 || HP 54/54 || F+7 R+5 W+8 || Init+4 || Perc+11 || Gentle Rest 2/6

It had been a very long trip from Caliphas to Magnimar. Bertholdt, as anxious as he'd been to pick up his mother's trail and to reacquaint himself with the city, couldn't do much but sleep for two days.

The missive cut short his plans. A different eagerness settled in him as ge made his way to the lodge.

He never spent much time in the Alabaster district as a youth. He marveled at the history of the families living here and of the power they held.

He smiles at Alexandre, ever so awkward with politeness, and raises a hand as he speaks with a clear Ustalav accent: "I'm fine! But if you happen to know how to make a malted goat milk, I've always been fond of them when I lived here as a kid."


Male Half-elf

After his last two week travel, Calendir had barely the opportunity to take his longbow from his back, and settle down in his favourite Lowcleft Inn - The Wild Lodge - when he received the summons from Venture captain Heidmarch. To be honest, this is the way he prefers it, never one to stay idly by for long.

He finished his ale, booked the room for the night and left straight through the Grand Arch District, towards Naos and the Heidmarch Manor.

Hello Alexandre. I am fine. And no, thank you, no refreshments are needed for me.I will just wait for Lady Heimdarch here

As he enters, he notices the presence of Bertholdt already in the foyer, walks up to him and addresses him directly.

Calendir is not a social or charismatic guy, but he does his best to behave with a modicum of education, when he is not familiar with someone

Greetings, I am Calendir And that's it :D


{HP 12/12 | AC 12 T12 FF10 CMD14 | F/R/W 1/2/3 | Inish+2 Per+0 SM+8} Female Peri Blooded Aasimar Illusionist 1

As Raven approaches Heimdarch Manor, she takes in the city of Magnimar, so different from Absalom. She hadn't had much time to acquaint herself with the city as of yet, but wasn't too surprised. Besides, she had little coin left after the journey.

Before entering, she utters a simple incantation, ensuring her outfit is clean of dirt and grime, attempting to bring out abit more of the color. Thank you, Alexandre. Wine if you please. Your service is most apprecaited."[/b]

Seeing two others already waiting in the foyer, she comes up to introduce herself. "Greetings gentlemen. My named is Raven. And how shall I call you?"


Male Half-elf

Calendir is definitely taken aback by the beauty of Raven - that just makes things more difficult when attempting to communicate

:D

I am Calendir. Greetings to you.


{HP 12/12 | AC 12 T12 FF10 CMD14 | F/R/W 1/2/3 | Inish+2 Per+0 SM+8} Female Peri Blooded Aasimar Illusionist 1

Sensing Calendir's unease, something she has grown accustomed to, she attempts to put him at ease. "So it would appear that you two were also summoned here to assist Mistress Heimdarch? I would venture that we are to cooperate on some task if summoned at the same moment. Perhaps we should discuss what skills we all possess, to better work together?"

Lantern Lodge

HP 13/16, AC 16/13/13, F +1, R +6, W +2, Init +3, Per +9 (low-light), Ki Pool: 3

Everything about Magnimar fascinated Omoro - the cacophony of voices that mixed together into a dissonant choir, the buildings that towered overhead with its Avistani practicality, the smells of the food of a dozen cultures mingling in the air. His feet wander Magnimar's streets, and he eventually finds his way to Heidmarch Manor, giving the guard that directs him to the house beyond a small bow. He curiously runs a finger over the brass bell, inspecting the detail of the artisan's work as much as his subject matter.

When he enters, he bows to the Varisian who answers the door. "Arigato, Alexandre," he replies. "A bit of tea would be most welcome at this moment." He glances at the three others who have arrived before him. "You may call me Omoro, Raven-chan, Calendir-san. May the kami bless your paths." He takes a seat at a high-backed chair in the foyer as he waits for his tea, and to meet with his new patron.


{HP 12/12 | AC 12 T12 FF10 CMD14 | F/R/W 1/2/3 | Inish+2 Per+0 SM+8} Female Peri Blooded Aasimar Illusionist 1

Seeing the Tengu enter, Raven's hand instinctively goes to the raven's foot amulet she wears, uncertain if he would be insulted by it's presence. She chooses to leave it for now, it's sentimental value to great to her to hide it.

"A pleasure, Omoro. I must say, you are the first Tengu I have had the pleasure of meeting face to face, though with so many of your kind having joined the society in recent months it was inevitable. May we become fast friends."


Male Tiefling (Grimspawn) Investigator 1

Iliria had a very hard time adapting to live in the city. The last two weeks she had lived in the parks of the city, sometimes even sneaking into private garden. The city was very much alive, yet in other ways it was the most lifeless place she had ever seen. It was clear Veyren felt the same.

She entered the gates seated on Veyren's back, Archibald, the owl, on one shoulder while Maria, the weasel, sat on the other. Before she reached the entrance of the house Archibald took off and placed himself above the manor's entrance while Maria also took her leave, probably to hunt for mice and other small critters. Iliria dismounted at the gate but unlike her other companions Veyren followed her inside. "Thank you Alexandre. I'd love some tea, with honey if you have any."

Upon seeing the others Iliria simply nodded to them and together with Veyren, who always looked even bigger next to her than he actually was. The big fox laid down in a corner and Iliria sat down next to him, leaning on his side.


Male Half-elf

Calendir seems to be completely taken by surprise by the Tengu's entrance. He had heard about this race before, but had never actually looked upon one.

Greetings Omoro, you... You are a Tengu right? Amazing, simply amazing...

He then seems to catch up to his own words and adds

Please, don't take any offense... I... Had never seen one such.. such as yourself.

Well, let me try to do this properly - to answer your suggestion Raven, I am an outdoorsman, a hunter and a tracker and yes, I believe it would be an extreme coincidence that we are all arriving together - I do think we were summoned for a reason. And to you Omoro, I'll go back to simply saying "Greetings"

Edeldhur does his best to open a sincere smile

:D

Seeing as Iliria stays apart, Calendir does not approach her. After stumbling through these initial words he settles back a little


{HP 12/12 | AC 12 T12 FF10 CMD14 | F/R/W 1/2/3 | Inish+2 Per+0 SM+8} Female Peri Blooded Aasimar Illusionist 1
Calendir wrote:
Well, let me try to do this properly - to answer your suggestion Raven, I am an outdoorsman, a hunter and a tracker and yes, I believe it would be an extreme coincidence that we are all arriving together - I do think we were summoned for a reason. And to you Omoro, I'll go back to simply saying "Greetings"

"A tracker and outdoorsman? How wonderful! I have had some training surviving the outdoors from the Society, but only a few things. I'm certain an obvious master of the art will be of great use to us." Raven purposefully lays it on a little thick, attempting to get Calendir to feel more at ease.


{HP 12/12 | AC 12 T12 FF10 CMD14 | F/R/W 1/2/3 | Inish+2 Per+0 SM+8} Female Peri Blooded Aasimar Illusionist 1

Raven moves next to see the newest newcomer. "Greetings, I'm called Raven, that's Calendir, Omoro and Bertholdt. A pleasure, and I must say, your pet is quite beautiful. Is he friendly?" Raven makes as to pet the large fox, waiting on Iliria's approval.


Male Tiefling (Grimspawn) Investigator 1

Iliria offers Raven a shy smile, "My name is Iliria and this is Veyren. He normally is a real sweetheart but I think the city is getting on his nerves. He won't bite though." She looks at Raven when they talk. It's weird though, this woman is named raven and another one in the group looks like a bipedal raven.

Veyren takes his time to sniff Raven's hand but doesn't seem to really be interested beyond that.


Male Half-elf

Shying away from Raven's compliment, Calendir observes the assembly around him - all of them with apparently particular and specific skills - and taking this moment where the attention seems to be centred elsewhere, he ponders what exactly may be the reason they have all been summoned.

The missive did say "highly specialized" which seems to match the gathered group. It did speak also about potential riches to be had (though this is not a real motivation for him), and a grave matter that may affect all of Varisia...

Calendir may be wise beyond his age, and also patient and pondered enough when he is in the wild, or elsewhere for that matter, stalking his prey but... The expectation of things to come sends a tingle up his spine and into his bow-pulling arm that cannot be denied.

Lantern Lodge

HP 13/16, AC 16/13/13, F +1, R +6, W +2, Init +3, Per +9 (low-light), Ki Pool: 3

"I am pleased to meet all of you," Omoro says. "And I am quite curious to hear why the Venture Captain needs such disparate individuals as ourselves. No doubt some archaeological finding of some significance. As for my abilities...I am skilled in the ways of the outdoors as well, but I am not familiar with Varisia. I suspect its forests will not differ from those of my homeland greatly. I make an excellent scout, however."

"Do any of you know much about Heidmarch-sama?"


{HP 12/12 | AC 12 T12 FF10 CMD14 | F/R/W 1/2/3 | Inish+2 Per+0 SM+8} Female Peri Blooded Aasimar Illusionist 1

Raven pets Veryern as she responds to Omoro, "I'm afraid I have not had the opportunity to meet her yet. Two outdoorsmen, very interesting. I am quite interested in hearing what she has to say at this point."


AC16 T15 FF13 || HP 54/54 || F+7 R+5 W+8 || Init+4 || Perc+11 || Gentle Rest 2/6

Bertholdt mostly nods and grunts so far, not very comfortable with large gatherings and what he feels his small talk. He says something about weapons and battle when asked, but he quickly hides behind a curtain of smoke as he lights his pipe to give him some confidence. The inhaled vapors fill his lungs with a certain calmness and he ponders just what the venture captain has in store for them...


Shade Psion 18

Alexandre nods and takes each order, returning promptly, often with startling expediency, with the expected refreshment. Each time, he sets a tray with the requested drink on a small table in the corner and serves it to the person who requested it, taking the tray with him as he retrieves another.

"A malted goat's milk, recreated as best I may." He hands a glass to Berholdt.

He nods to Calendir. "As you wish, sir."

He pours a glass of wine and hands it to Raven, "For Lady Raven, a local vintage, produced by the Arveydin farm, year 4709."

"Green tea for Master Omoro, produced in Tian Xia. I am unsure as to the exact location of its manufacture, however."

"Black tea with a bit of local honey for the lady. I've left a wedge of lemon for you if you wish it." He looks at the fox for a moment, then back at Iliria, "Would your companion like something to drink as well?"


(Female Human Witch 2 AC 12(16)/12(16)/10(14)/ HP 14 / F +1 R +2 W +3 (+2 vs Illusions) / Init. +2 / Perc. +5)

Swishing into the foyer is petite raven-haired woman. Her hair is rapped up in a bandanna with large gold loop earning and her hands are bedecked with rings. Her eyes are a sparkling hazel, constantly seeming to shift from grey to green to brown. Her skin is an olive hue, with high cheek bones, and and a delicate, well formed face. She is wearing several pleated skirts, mostly blacks and greys with the occasional glimpse of red or blue intermixed into the folds, and they are drawn together with a grey fishbone corset over top of a cotton shift.

"Nothing for me thank you." Replies Nadja.

Running a cool gaze over her perceived allies' apparent demeanor's and competencies as she begins to postulate theory as to the missive.

Two muscle and three specialists... interesting, clearly some joint operation or task from on high. New chapter house so the only common denominator is the society. Too many variables right now, we shall have to see how things progress...


Male Tiefling (Grimspawn) Investigator 1

"Thank you sir. I think Veyren would like a bowl of water, with a drop of Ulfen honey mead for flavoring, if I may be so bold." It was spoiling him, but Veyren had seemed to loved the golden liquid.

The new arrival looked like a Varisian woman and part of Iliria wanted to get up, run over and hug the woman. She didn't though, the woman seemed cold, too cold. She sighed softly, it always hurt to see one of the people in such a state.


Shade Psion 18

Alexandre nods to Iliria and leaves for a bit before returning with a bowl of water. "Sweetened as you asked, although it took me a bit to find the mead, Lady Iliria."

He'll nod to Nadja, "As you wish, ma'am."

A moment later, a pair of women enter the room. One, a human, is dressed in the regal finery of Magnimarian nobility and holds a staff topped with a stylized bird as it's head. The other, an attractive half-elf, is dressed in functional leather armor and carries a distinctive mithral and redwood aklys and a bastard sword on her belt.

Knowledge(dungeoneering or local) DC 18:
This is Pathfinder Koriah Azmeren, one of Varisia's most famous Pathfinder and an expert on the Darklands.

The woman in Magnimarian finery speaks in an unusually-low tone, "Welcome to my home, Heidmarch Manor. I am Sheila Heidmarch and my companion here is Pathfinder Koriah Azmeren. I am glad you answered my summons to you, but I am afraid I have business with Pathfinder Koriah that I must conclude first. She has just returned from a successful expedition into the Darklands and has returned with several Thassilonian artifacts. I am sorry for the delay, so if you would not mind..." Sheila pauses for a moment, her face showing that she's processing a new thought that was just entered her head. "If all of you would follow me for a moment." She heads out of the foyer and into an adjoining room, a study.

The room is lined with bookshelves covered in book and artifacts from various destinations around the world. Several tables in the room are covered with heaps of scrolls and scattered papers. However, there are only a few scrolls and a large object that rest on the table in the center of the room. The object is an ornate, cubical stone coffer, covered in runes.

Can Read Thassilonian or Linguistics DC 15:
The runes are in the language of ancient Thassilon.

"Please be seated." She gestures to the table in the center, around which are arrayed a number of chairs.

When everyone is seated, she continues. “I apologize again for the delay, but I must conclude my business with Pathfinder Azmeren before we meet. In the meantime, though,I thought you could help us with another minor issue. This stone coffer is an ancient Thassilonian puzzle, a cunning feat of magical engineering known as a paradox box. As you’ll see from even a casual investigation, what appear to be seams on the sides are only shallow grooves—there’s no obvious way to open the thing. Each paradox box has its own secret method of being opened. Essentially, a paradox box substitutes hidden catches and magical triggers for a lock. Given time, anyone clever enough could figure out how to open a paradox box, just as given time, a locksmith can open any lock. This particular box was among those items recovered by Koriah—the scrolls next to the box are her preliminary notes on possible triggers or methods of opening it, but she’s not yet had a chance to sit down and properly investigate the thing. So... why don’t you put your heads together and see if you can’t do that for me? Even if the box is empty, as I suspect it probably is, knowing the method of opening it makes it a valuable find anyway. I’ll return shortly, and I hope to see that box open! Think of this as an audition, if you will—because the actual task I want to speak to you about soon will require as much wit as it will brawn!" Sheila and Koriah exit the room, leaving you all with the box.

Images for both Sheila and Koriah are up on the campaign notes.


Male Half-elf

Calendir ponders the stone coffer in front of him - this is somewhat out of his areas of expertise, unless he has some knowledge of such devices from previous incursions underground.

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) if applicable, let me know if (local) makes any sense 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Otherwise, the best he has to offer are his sharp senses, attentively observing the intricate details and running his fingers on its surface, in an attempt to discern any mechanism that may assist in opening it.

Standing up, he walks to the coffer and starts doing exactly that

Perception if applicable 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18


AC16 T15 FF13 || HP 54/54 || F+7 R+5 W+8 || Init+4 || Perc+11 || Gentle Rest 2/6

Bertholdt watches with keen interest the half-elf as he makes his way across the room, recognizing by his stance the makings of a fine warrior.

As Sheila and Koriah enter the room, his attention is drawn immediately by the Venture Captain's presence. Very slowly though, Koriah's aklys moves his attention away. He studies the peculiar weapon, wondering where it came from.

He stands up, lean, muscular and fair, but carries himself in an unassuming and discreet way. He wraps his dark cape around him, pushing back an old massive flail on his hip.

As the doors to the study open, his face lights up and he seems to have shed the few years he's gained so far. He lets out a sharp whistle sound from his lips and moves through the tables, listening to Sheila's words but never letting his gaze stray from the box.

He moves around the table with a low stance, orbiting around the irresistible pull of the box, studying its structure. Eventually, he moves his hands carefully, an hair from the surface, feeling whether it shifts from his presence, trying to discern possible strands of arcane power tied to the box.

He starts to emit sounds as well, tucking his tongue, whistling, uttering common and dark syllables, then he slowly and solemnly touches the box, eyes closed, as if savoring the moment...

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Use Magical Device: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Disable Device: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18


{HP 12/12 | AC 12 T12 FF10 CMD14 | F/R/W 1/2/3 | Inish+2 Per+0 SM+8} Female Peri Blooded Aasimar Illusionist 1

"Thank you for this opportunity, Mistress Heidmarch." Raven's eyes are alight with curiousity as the sight of the puzzle box. "I happened to learn abit of the thassilonion language before coming here." Raven picks up the notes and begins to read through them, seeing if they contain some clue to the box, eventually casting Detect Magic to help identify any enchantments upon it.

Knowledge (Dungeoneering): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9


(Female Human Witch 2 AC 12(16)/12(16)/10(14)/ HP 14 / F +1 R +2 W +3 (+2 vs Illusions) / Init. +2 / Perc. +5)

Nadja gives Iliria a polite and vaguely-friendly shred of a smile in acknowledgement. Yes dear, one of these things is not like the other.

Upon approach, Nadja acknowledges the house-matron-turned-Venture-Captain with a nod and a simple "Mm."

At the barest hint of the idea that the "puzzle box" should constitute a test, Nadja cooly steps forward, like a winter willow blowing in the breeze, and examines both Koriah's notes and the paradox box itself. As she does so, she begins to concentrate on a detect magic spell.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Knowledge (arcana) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Knowledge (history) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Knowledge (nature) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
Knowledge (planes) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

Spellcraft 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

The viper "Dagon" that serves as Nadja's familiar hides up her sleeve, and gives the box a cursory inspection of its own. Nadja communicates an empathic feeling of "curiosity" to the serpent, and telepathically "listens" for an empathic reply.

Viper's Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
Viper's Stealth: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29

Lantern Lodge

HP 13/16, AC 16/13/13, F +1, R +6, W +2, Init +3, Per +9 (low-light), Ki Pool: 3

Knowledge (dungeoneering):
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

"Thank you for the opportunity to serve, Heidmarch-sama. As it so happens, I had a chance to study the runes of ancient Thassalon on the trip. I am no expert, but I will hope to add something of interest to Koriah-san's notes." He walks around the paradox box, reading the glyphs to himself, and trying to get a read on its construction. He makes a 'tutting' sound with his beak as he surveys its manufacture, craning his head much as Bertholdt does. When the half-elf begins to reach toward it, he freezes in place, watching to see what comes of this. "Be careful, Bertholdt-san. The treasures of distant Thassalon sleep fitfully."

Mechanics:

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Knowledge (dungeoneering0: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Male Tiefling (Grimspawn) Investigator 1

Iliria stayed away from the cube, letting the others figure it out. Old puzzles and mechanics weren't really her thing anyway.

Veyren however stood up and walked over to the box, sniffing it and his immediate surroundings.

Veyren smell Perception 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24
Being of only animal intelligence (yet) Veyren acts purely on curiosity. His reaction would be very primary, so recoiling if it reeks or has an otherwise strong smell but no real reaction otherwise. Chances are he will smell a snake though as stealth doesn't hide your scent.


Shade Psion 18

The box itself is very strange. There seems to be no way interact with the internal mechanisms of the box. The ridges on the box seem to be purely decorative, and a thorough search turns up that, indeed, there is no seam on the exterior of it.

A number of runes dot the box, one in particular is repeated a number of times. However, on one face, there are a number of additional runes.

Calendir:
This device, a 'Paradox Box', was a common method of securing items in ancient Thassilon. Creators often decorated them with puzzles and riddles that hinted at their command words.

Berholdt:
The box does not seem to respond to the common commands that you give. An examination of the box shows no place that you might be able to manipulate the box further, but you touch one of the additional runes on the single face of the box and feel and slight tingle.

Nadja:
A thorough study of the box's aura, as well as information about such an item gives you a very good indication of what this item is and how it works. It is known as a Paradox Box, an item of ancient Thassilon that was used by wealthy citizens of that empire to protect wealth and valuable items. The box itself is actually just a cube of stone with a powerful enchantment that allows access to an extradimensional pocket that serves as a storage space. This space can be accessed with a command word, although many boxes also had other methods of unlocking them, or clues to their command words. They were often trapped with magical traps.

Detect Magic results:

There are two auras on the object, one of moderate conjuration and abjuration magic, while the other is a faint aura of conjuration magic. The first aura is the aura of the enchantment on the box, while the second is likely a trap placed onto the box. You believe that opening the box will summon something.

Omoro & Raven:
The repeated rune is the rune of 'Wrath', while the additional runes are letters that spell out the word 'CRUEL'.

Iliria:
Veyren sniffs at the box, but detects little of interest on it. He does pick up the strange smell of a snake nearby, though.

Koriah's Notes:
The repeated rune is the rune of 'Wrath', which Koriah's notes state also represented the virtue to 'Kindness' and is associated with evocation magic. Koriah believes that these runes are not involved in opening the box, but rather speak of the owner of the box, likely someone from the Thassilonian territory of Bakrakhan.

The additional runes on one side of the box spell out the word 'CRUEL' and when two are touched, they switch places for a time before reverting.


{HP 12/12 | AC 12 T12 FF10 CMD14 | F/R/W 1/2/3 | Inish+2 Per+0 SM+8} Female Peri Blooded Aasimar Illusionist 1

"Hmm, according to Koriah's notes, she believes the runes are not the key to openign it, but rather relate to the owner. The repeating one there is 'Wrath', while those additional ones spell out 'CRUEL'. The notes also mention that the 'CRUEL' runes will switch places when two are touched, but will revert." Raven ponders the information for a moment, then examines it for magical auras. "Perhaps we can re-arrange the runes for another clue?"

Cast Detect magic, linguistics to see if there is a hidden meaning?
Linguistics: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24


Male Half-elf

I cannot be of much assistance here - surely these symbols and runes play a part in opening this container but I believe the knowledge needed here eludes me.

Calendir takes a few steps back, and allows his more scholarly companions examine the Paradox thoroughly.


{HP 12/12 | AC 12 T12 FF10 CMD14 | F/R/W 1/2/3 | Inish+2 Per+0 SM+8} Female Peri Blooded Aasimar Illusionist 1

"Nonsense. When we finally do discover the secret to it's opening, we may well need someone to perform the actual feat for us. While the rest take cover elsewhere." The smile on Raven's face tells she is speaking in jest.


(Female Human Witch 2 AC 12(16)/12(16)/10(14)/ HP 14 / F +1 R +2 W +3 (+2 vs Illusions) / Init. +2 / Perc. +5)

Without looking in Raven's direction, Nadja sharply raises a single finger - the universal gesture for "wait." She then quickly and quietly puts her staggering intellect to work rearranging the letters C-R-U-E-L into several different combinations:

First, she tries LUCRE, thinking perhaps to tie the answer to the sin of greed, not wrath. Then Nadja tries shorter words like CUR, RULE, CURE, CLUE, RUE, CUE, and LURE.

Nadja keeps the information gleaned from her Knowledge and Spellcraft checks to herself, for the time being.


Shade Psion 18

Raven:
Detect Magic picks up auras in the area of effect, the box being the most powerful. You'd get more information, but Nadja starts fiddling with the box. Also, you guess that the letters can be rearranged to form anagrams.

Nadja touches the letters on the box, transferring them until they spell the word, 'LUCRE'. The box glows for a moment, before a seam forms in one of the creases and the box pops open. Out spills three small creatures, revolting little lapdogs that seem to be able to stand on their hind legs. They each carry a tiny dagger in hand and a tiny shortbow over their shoulders. Two leap from the table, heading towards the wall, while the third grabs up Koriah's notes and looks to be about to tear the lot in half.

Everyone roll initiative. While the creatures are alive, every d20 roll is rolled twice and the lowest is taken, including initiative. Veyren is unaffected by this effect, as are any other animals.

Creature's Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11


(Female Human Witch 2 AC 12(16)/12(16)/10(14)/ HP 14 / F +1 R +2 W +3 (+2 vs Illusions) / Init. +2 / Perc. +5)

Intriguing, but not surprising that the Runelords and their minions would trap their possessions. From the engravings this must have belonged to a follower of the Runelord of Wrath, hardly a surprise then that it was trapped.

Nadja's Initative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Nadja's Initative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

Running a cool gaze over the creatures, Nadja tries to recall any forgotten lore or descriptors of the tiny anthropomorphic dogs. Then as one of the creatures picks up the notebook, Nadja narrows her eyes and with a quick gesture and a flick of the wrist she mutters "Álom"

Nadaj will attempt to to identify the creatures (free action) and cast Slumber Hex DC17 on the creature that has grabbed Koriah's notes. (Standard Action)

Knowledge (arcana) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Knowledge (arcana) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Knowledge (history) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Knowledge (history) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
Knowledge (nature) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Knowledge (nature) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Knowledge (planes) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
Knowledge (planes) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12


{HP 12/12 | AC 12 T12 FF10 CMD14 | F/R/W 1/2/3 | Inish+2 Per+0 SM+8} Female Peri Blooded Aasimar Illusionist 1

Inish: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Inish: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

Technically the 22 is lower, since it's lower on the screen, right? ;p


Male Half-elf

What the..?

Calendir tries to find any discerning or identifying features on these creatures that may assist in recognizing them, hoping to gain some sort of tactical advantage

Double Initiative :O
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Knowledge Nature in case it helps at all with these - doubtful
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Shade Psion 18

Nadja & Calendir:
These creatures are called Pugwampis. They're a type of gremlin that carry an aura of unluck around them, but it doesn't affect gremlins, gnolls, or animals. It also can be negated by lending luck to someone. By someone having a luck bonus to rolls.


AC16 T15 FF13 || HP 54/54 || F+7 R+5 W+8 || Init+4 || Perc+11 || Gentle Rest 2/6

"Amazing Nadja, you've found the w- Wait, what are these things?!?"

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 91d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

Bertholdt is taken aback by the sight of these monstrosities. He grabs his collar as he feels a strange aura take over him. He's unsettled and has a hard time focusing.

Lantern Lodge

HP 13/16, AC 16/13/13, F +1, R +6, W +2, Init +3, Per +9 (low-light), Ki Pool: 3

Initiative:

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

"By the kami! What be these beasts?" Omoro's hand fumbles for his wakizashi, shakingly crouching into a defensive position.

Whatever these are, I already hate them.


Shade Psion 18

I'm going to go ahead and roll initiative for Iliria. As per Raven's suggestion, I'll roll all initiative checks myself in the future, if that's alright by everyone.

Iliria's Initiative 1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Iliria's Initiative 2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Roll off between Iliria and Caldendir:
Calendir: 1d20 ⇒ 16
Iliria: 1d20 ⇒ 17

So, the initiative order is:
13 - Nadja
11a - Creatures
11b - Iliria
11c - Calendir
9 - Berholdt
7 - Raven
4 - Omoro

Creature 1's Will Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18 vs DC 17 Pass

The head of the creature on the table droops slightly as Nadja glares at it, but it gives its head a vigorous shake, showering the area with spittle and throwing off the curse aimed at it. It then proceeds to rip the collection of notes in half before giving the Nadja a raspberry.

A second one runs to a nearby bookshelf and begins climbing it, spilling books and a vase onto the floor. The vase shatters on impact, spending shards of pottery skittering across the floor.

The third runs to the table legs of a nearby table and begins carving something into a leg with the dagger in its hand.

Sylvan:
It's profanity. Mostly rather rude accusations about someone's parentage.

Everyone else, go!


Male Half-elf

I'm perfectly ok with you running initiatives

Just as a general idea, how far are these creatures from me?


AC16 T15 FF13 || HP 54/54 || F+7 R+5 W+8 || Init+4 || Perc+11 || Gentle Rest 2/6

Bertholdt is still amazed at the sight of small creatures popping out of another dimension. "Ah! Ah! Ah! Look at them! What are they doing!?"

He moves forward and grabs the one climbing the bookshelf: "Now that's enough!"

CMB Grappling: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
CMB Grappling: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
It's climbing, so might not be able to draw an AoO...


Shade Psion 18

The room's only 20 feet by 20 feet, so they're easily within 10 feet of you, considering that the table the cube was in was in the middle.


Shade Psion 18

It would, but they have no reach and thus don't even threaten. Climbing, too...

The little creature squirms in Berholdt's grasp, crying out in a strange language.

Gnoll:
"Let go of me, filthy ape-thing!"

Edit to earlier post: The language that the creature carved into the leg of the table is Gnoll, not Sylvan. My mistake.


{HP 12/12 | AC 12 T12 FF10 CMD14 | F/R/W 1/2/3 | Inish+2 Per+0 SM+8} Female Peri Blooded Aasimar Illusionist 1

Round 1

Stats:

HP 7/7
AC 12 T12 FF10 CMD 13
F/R/W 1/2/2
Effects
None

Seeing Bertholdt attempt to pin one of the creatures, Raven pulls out some rope to better hold the creature, glaring at it as she speaks. "Keep it still, Bertholdt, I'd rather not noose this aroud it's head by mistake."

Move action retrieve rope, 5' step near it if required, standard to intimidate.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Intimidate: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18


Male Half-elf

Calendir steps forward towards one of the chattering creatures while he draws his greatsword - considering that it may be useful to obtain information regarding their origins, he will not strike to kill, instead turning to hit with the flat of his blade, a maneuver which unfortunately decreases the effectiveness of such a large weapon, clearly designed to slay

Attack roll attempting to deal nonlethal damage: 1d20 + 5 - 4 ⇒ (15) + 5 - 4 = 16

Damage if it hits 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (4, 4) + 6 = 14


(Female Human Witch 2 AC 12(16)/12(16)/10(14)/ HP 14 / F +1 R +2 W +3 (+2 vs Illusions) / Init. +2 / Perc. +5)

As the filith little creatures run around the study causing havoc, Nadja turns toward to the third unoccupied gremlin, and with a wave of her hand she wills the creature to sleep.

Using Slumber Hex on the 3rd untouched creature, assuming that Calendir tryed to attack the one that I already tryed to hex and the 2nd one has been grappled. DC 17

Lantern Lodge

HP 13/16, AC 16/13/13, F +1, R +6, W +2, Init +3, Per +9 (low-light), Ki Pool: 3

Round 1

Omoro releases his grip on his sword, as it appears these things were not released to kill, but to cause chaos. "Keep it occupied, Calendir-san!", the tengu says, moving to put it in a disadvantageous position. He pecks at the creature with his beak,

Mechanics:

Flank the one on Calendir, if possible.
Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Add +2 to this if I'm flanking.
Damage: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4, +1d6 ⇒ 3 more if I'm flanking.


Male Half-elf

Meh, I had forgotten the "2-rolls" effect... Is it also for damage?

Second attack roll
1d20 + 5 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 5 - 4 = 18

Second damage roll
2d6 + 6 ⇒ (2, 4) + 6 = 12


Shade Psion 18

Nope, just d20 rolls. I'm skipping Iliria for now.
With a single stroke, Calendir slams his blade into the creature, sending it flying across the room and into a wall. The creature hits the ground in a heap, lying there unconscious.

As Bertholdt grabs another of the creatures, Raven approaches, speaking an glaring at it. The thing squeals loudly, at such a high pitch that Bertholdt winces and Raven stumbles, knocking a small box from a nearby table and spilling its contents on the floor.

Omoro, I'll direct your attack to other free one.
Omoro moves to peck at the other creature, but misses it, his beak tearing a manuscript the creature had been climbing as Omoro accidently trips due to a ruffled rug.

Creature 3's Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23 vs DC 17 Pass
Wow... The dice are really hating your Sleep Hex, Nadja.

The creature's eyes begin to droop and it gives a huge yawn as Nadja waves her had, but suddenly it slaps itself in the face a couple of times before grinning at the witch.

The creature in Bertholdt's hand struggles to free itself.
Creature 1's CMB Check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2 vs CMD 18 Fail
However, it is unable to slip free from Bertholdt's grasp, wimpering pitifully a it tries and fails.

The other one left standing attempts to climb higher up and finds a small display box on one shelf, which it tosses to the ground. The glass top of the case shatters upon hitting the floor, at which the creature laughs.

More actions during round 2! Gimme!

1 to 50 of 905 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shattered Star: Broken Dreams Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.