Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Shadows over Westcrown

Game Master chavamana


301 to 350 of 9,364 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Male Aasimar Ranger Skirmisher 16

Azhar looks over at the woman Janiven indicated before leaving as a good deal of the pressure seems to be leaving the building. "Okay, miss..Mathalen was it? I do have a question. I mean, I'm all in favor of bedding down and all, and I've never been known to be exactly the most concerned about cleanliness, but after tromping around in the sewers for gods knows how long...any chance there's a place to clear our gear? ..and ourselves for that matter." he looks through the walls in the direction of the retreating figures, "better hope wherever they're going is used to smelling like cr@p." he shakes his head a little ruefully.


Male Human Mobile Fighter 14 Acrobat 2

Gravlax shrugs at the Varisian, and follows Janiven out of the room.


Male Tiefling
Gravlax d'Antonio wrote:
"Gods and men," Gravlax says, but nothing more.

Rev smiles and shakes his head.


Cassian and Melilot:
After you leave Melilot's place, Cassian is familiar enough with the town of his birth that you will be able to make you way to both places to check them out. Most of the paths that Cassian would normally take would only be dimly light, which would normally be a problem for Melilot, but since you don't want to draw attention to yourself (since, you know, curfew) stealth requires you both to move at half-speed anyway.

Can I get (2) stealth and (2) perception rolls from you both for you for your scouting of the dottari prisons and Taranik House (Hellknight HQ in Westcrown proper).


Gravalax:
Stalking into what looks like a priest's cell, happily decently ventilated, since Janiven has a bit more of the sewage smell that the scribe. She turns, looking highly annoyed and then freezes. She takes a deep breath, looks at the cleanly dressed man. "Why?" The question, exhausted, needing to understand regardless of how angry she is.


Azhar Mithra Amin wrote:
Azhar looks over at the woman Janiven indicated before leaving as a good deal of the pressure seems to be leaving the building. "Okay, miss..Mathalen was it? I do have a question. I mean, I'm all in favor of bedding down and all, and I've never been known to be exactly the most concerned about cleanliness, but after tromping around in the sewers for gods knows how long...any chance there's a place to clear our gear? ..and ourselves for that matter." he looks through the walls in the direction of the retreating figures, "better hope wherever they're going is used to smelling like cr@p." he shakes his head a little ruefully.

Looking a little grateful for something to do, Mathalen points to another door. "Down that way is the kitchen, but also an old bathhouse or steamroom. There is a hand pump there that Jani got fixed when she and Arael started using this huge place to meet people after their initial introduction." She drops down to the ground, looking both in the direction the scouts went and the one Janiven stalked, "Have they been like that the whole way through the tunnels?"

A brief pause, "Five minutes of that back and forth, and I need a drink." She looks over at Tarvi, "Wasn't there something you could have done to smooth that over?" Asking the question, but more to have something to say rather than harsh criticism.

Happily the dark-haired girl takes it in the manner it was intended, "By stabbing either myself or Gravalax?" she asks with full snark. Her eyes darken a bit with a mixture of happiness and sadness, "I never expected to see Cassian walk into one of these meetings, but I was so happy to see him... I wish Arael hadn't been arrested, he is much better than Janiven at the whole getting people to not kill each other thing."


Male Human Mobile Fighter 14 Acrobat 2

Janiven:

Gravlax looks at Janiven. "Whys are difficult," he says. He looks down at his hands. "He is rude, and I do not like him."

Gravlax sighs. "Cassian jumped so quickly to the incorrect conclusion, there was no expedient way to convince him otherwise. So I did not try. Twice now he has called me a Hellknight plant, and when I spoke back, he has threatened to kill me."

Gravlax shakes his head, and looks directly at Janiven. "If he tries to kill me, I will respond in kind. Otherwise, I think we can work together."

Gravlax smiles, a genuine smile. "I think my friend will be amused by his antics. I am simply tired of being belittled and threatened."

Gravlax shrugs, and looks down at his hands again. "I eat that meal every day at the Courts, and it becomes tiresome."

"If that does not answer your question, please ask it again using more words."


Gravalax:
Janiven starts to laugh, a almost hopeless sound but one she can't quite help. She sinks to the ground, her back against a wall. She comes to rest with her head on her knees, apparently so used to the sewer stench that it just doesn't bother her through her exhaustion.

She looks up at him, a genuine smile on her face. "This is horrible. I understand why he doesn't like you. I understand why you don't like him." The laugh again, "And half of the reasons I can't tell you, because they aren't my secrets to tell."

"Mostly it has been a bloody awful luck..." She looks up at him, "granted, the fact that you didn't have a chance to change and thus wanted to stay out of the fray didn't help you in his eyes."

"And him sticking to his initial impression doesn't help him in yours." Her head drops down to her knees, "Arael is so much better at avoiding these 'misunderstandings' than I am..." for the first time, the woman doesn't sound confident about her abilities.

She breaths for a bit, "Was speaking to Tarvi just to yank his chain?" A hopeful note in her voice, because if that is the case, she can ask a favor... if not, then her road is much harder.


Male Human Rogue 15/Shadowcaster 1

Melilot:
Cassian relaxes as soon as he is outside.

"Truth be told, I'm not much for negotiation either. What I am good at is lying and scaring. If we can get me a uniform, I should be able to talk my way past guards. Besides, the reason I wanted you along is that you've already shown me you're at least as sneaky as I am, and since you didn't hurt me, well... that's what passes for trust." He pauses. "Our joint strength would suggest we sneak our way in and try to set eyes on our elusive half elf, then see when and where they're moving him. Worst comes to worst, we sit on the jail and wait."

At her apartment, he waits until she collects some of her tools. "So... what do you do? For a living?"


Male Human Rogue 15/Shadowcaster 1

GM:
Stealth 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30
Stealth 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13
Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7


Male Aasimar Ranger Skirmisher 16
chavamana wrote:

"Down that way is the kitchen, but also an old bathhouse or steamroom. There is a hand pump there that Jani got fixed when she and Arael started using this huge place to meet people after their initial introduction."..."Have they been like that the whole way through the tunnels?"...

Happily the dark-haired girl takes it in the manner it was intended, "By stabbing either myself or Gravalax?" she asks with full snark. Her eyes darken a bit with a mixture of happiness and sadness, "I never expected to see Cassian walk into one of these meetings, but I was so happy to see him... I wish Arael hadn't been arrested, he is much better than Janiven at the whole getting people to not kill each other thing."

Azhar is about to head towards the bath house when Mathalen and Tarvi begin to converse. He stops and turns. "Luckily, no, they were not. I will join you in that drink if you would like. & things will work themselves out one way or another. Either Cassian is right and Gravlax is a spy, and we will find out for better or for worse, or Janiven is right about Gravlax and he is worth having around for one reason or another. Either way things will work themselves out." He looks directly at Tarvi, "You have really beautiful eyes, you know that?" He smiles at her, turns and walks in the direction Mathalen pointed earlier.


GM:
Stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (19) + 13 = 32
1d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 28

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


Male Tiefling
Azhar Mithra Amin wrote:
He looks directly at Tarvi, "You have really beautiful eyes, you know that?" He smiles at her, turns and walks in the direction Mathalen pointed earlier.

Rev shakes his head as his brother. "You're going to get stabbed in the back if you keep doing that. And I'm not going to be able to save you." He gives Azhar an appraising look before following him to get cleaned up.

Azhar or Sense Motive DC 20:
Rev's appraising look at Azhar indicates he knows. He knows he made the choice which resulted in the loss of power that Azhar referred to minutes ago, and he would do it again if it came to it. It had been the hardest choice he had ever made. Rev is not a man who normally has regrets. Once he charts a course, he sets upon it and never looks back. Yet this time, there were regrets. But they were, none of them, Azhar's fault. They rested all squarely upon Rev's shoulders, and none of them had to do with the choice he made. That was something he could not regret, even if his weakened state frustrated him.

Mana:
sorry but i'll have to respond to the other posts tomorrow, maybe around lunch time or after work. i'm just too tired right now.


Male Human Mobile Fighter 14 Acrobat 2

Janiven:

"I spoke to her at that time in that fashion for precisely that reason."

Gravlax smiles at something or someone who isn't present. "The goal of a scribe at Court is to seek the least of all possible mistakes. I had to give that up to find my friend, and it has drawn me here."

Gravlax returns his smile to the present, and to Janiven. "If you would rather that I do not go out of my way to antagonize Cassian, I will so endeavor. Or if you need me to leave, I will. Although my friend is now interested, and will be around whether you desire him or not."


Cassian:
i work as a weaponsmith Melilot says. This probably accounts for the shiny, whetstone-honed newness of the weapons she is picking up. and what do you do


Male Human Rogue 15/Shadowcaster 1

Melilot:
"This," he says mildly.


gm:
1d100 ⇒ 82; dottari perception 1d20 ⇒ 1; hellknight 1d20 ⇒ 9
Cassian SM 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Cassian/Melilot:
The passage from Melilot's home to the prisoner cells is uneventful, except for the occasional ducking into the deeper shadows of an alley as a dottari patrol passes nearby on one of the few lighted streets. The intersection where the cells are is well-light, letting you both observe the guards on the outside from your own concealing shadows.

Neither of the guards at the front door seem nervous or particularly alert. They do talk to each other, but most of the words are too quiet for either of you to pick up from this distance. You think, maybe, you picked up the words 'f%&!ing hellknights' but you can't be sure.

Cassian:
Cassian K:local 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27
Cassian, from his late night jaunts and desire to go where he should not, knows that there is a less used back entrance to the dottari holding cells that not only is less guarded, but is on one of the streets that is not light by the man-sized torches. It would be possible to sneak around the dark streets and get there without too much problem for the two of you sneaky-types.


Male Human Rogue 15/Shadowcaster 1

Melilot:
"There's a back entrance to the holding cells. Follow me." Cassian leads the way.


Male Aasimar Ranger Skirmisher 16
Rev Keaton Amin wrote:

Rev shakes his head as his brother. "You're going to get stabbed in the back if you keep doing that. And I'm not going to be able to save you." He gives Azhar an appraising look before following him to get cleaned up.

Azhar laughs, "One of these days." he says, then repeats it again, "one of these days." He doesn't seem to be overly worried as they move to the bathhouse to clean themselves and their gear.

Rev/Perception dc15+distance:

"It's not all your fault you know. First you probably did the right thing. Second, I voluntarily relinquished a part of myself to make up for the guardians that we eliminated. That was my choice and had nothing to do with what you did later. Do not concern yourself. I am proud of you for what you did. We will regain at least a portion of what we lost, and we will grow in other areas as well. It's merely a matter of time. ... ... and survival of course." he chuckles again.


Gravalax:
She looks up at him, a small amount of apology in her eyes, "I know he can be a bastard, especially if he has decided that he doesn't like you, please, can you try to not intentionally antagonize him?"

"I think you... and your friend... have skills that we need." She looks uncomfortable for a moment, "I do think that Cassian and Melilot will be gone for a little while." A pause, a beat. "Perhaps you want to make sure your friend can make a quick appearance later?" Taking note of his clothes, lack of weapons or bag. "I didn't think our first meeting was going to get so exciting."


Azhar Mithra Amin wrote:
He looks directly at Tarvi, "You have really beautiful eyes, you know that?" He smiles at her, turns and walks in the direction Mathalen pointed earlier.

Tarvi looks at the retreating back of the tall fighter, slightly thrown by the non-sequitur, a slight blush on her pale cheeks. As the brothers take their leave, they hear Tarvi quickly comment to Mathalen, "Where did that come from?"


Cassian:
Cassian Merro wrote:
"This," he says mildly.

does it pay well she asks, curious.

Cassian Merro wrote:
"There's a back entrance to the holding cells. Follow me." Cassian leads the way.

Melilot follows.


Male Human Mobile Fighter 14 Acrobat 2

Janiven:

"He strikes me as the sort who might take politeness to be antagonizing."

Gravlax looks off into the distance for a brief moment, then back to the present.

"Which is judgmental of me. I can be home and back in an hour, approximately. I want to wait another few minutes before I leave -- if I accidentally overtake them, Cassian would try to kill me. And I would rather not get in front of Melilot's sling."


Cassian and Melilot:
The two people, quick as the shadows themselves, move through dark alleys unseen. Soon enough they are in the dimly light street on the opposite side of the building. A quick glance doesn't reveal any watchers. All that keeps them from the quiet interior is a locked door.

Gravalax:
Janiven nods, her head starting to rest on her knees, then she glances back up at him, "Be careful."


Male Human Rogue 15/Shadowcaster 1

Melilot:
Melilot wrote:
does it pay well she asks, curious.

"Not really."


Male Human Rogue 15/Shadowcaster 1

Melilot/GM:
Cassian unrolls a small leather wallet of lockpicks, selects a pair and attempts to work the lock. Disable Device 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16


Cassian/GM:
While Cassian works on the lock, Melilot keeps a watchful guard.


Male Aasimar Ranger Skirmisher 16
chavamana wrote:
Azhar Mithra Amin wrote:
He looks directly at Tarvi, "You have really beautiful eyes, you know that?" He smiles at her, turns and walks in the direction Mathalen pointed earlier.
Tarvi looks at the retreating back of the tall fighter, slightly thrown by the non-sequitur, a slight blush on her pale cheeks. As the brothers take their leave, they hear Tarvi quickly comment to Mathalen, "Where did that come from?"

as Azhar and Rev walk towards the bath house"

Azhar smiles at Rev, "Just something I noticed earlier, but felt it inappropriate to mention, given..." he looks over his shoulder, "bother? cousin?" he turns back to Rev, "Cassian's obvious protectiveness...& perhaps rightly so at least to be cautious, I'd say. We'll see."

when they return
Azhar approaches Mathalen again, his gear has been cleaned and some is damp enough that he carries it, rather than wears it. "Is there somewhere you would prefer I put this out to dry?" He waits for her answer while looking her over, apparently with no shame. "You look...balanced. I approve. Am I correct in assuming you know how to fight without needing weapons?"


Cassian/Melilot:
The first try at the lock proves that the dottari have improved their security slightly since the last time Cassian has been here. However, with an encouraging 'ook' from Rygel, he opens the door. (take-10 on try again with +12 for a 22 disable device)

Which lets you into a small storage room, Cassian knows that beyond the unlocked, interior door are the cells. Looking through the small, barred opening, the way looks clear. In the hallway between the cells, it is clear only three of the cells are occupied. None contain a half-elf, but the drunk sleeping off his drink looks familiar, but not quite placeable at the moment.


Male Human Rogue 15/Shadowcaster 1

Melilot/GM:
At Rygel's "ook," Cassian looks up at his tiny companion. "Thanks, pal. It's been a rough day." He reaches up and scratches the monkey's head with obvious affection.

Cassian whispers to Melilot: "I know that guy from somewhere." Cassian stops, frowning. "That, ah... that doesn't really speak well to my choice in company, does it?"


Male Human Mobile Fighter 14 Acrobat 2

Janiven:

Janiven wrote:
"Be careful."

"I will," Gravlax says. "Dying now would prove Cassian right. Can't have that."

GM:

Let me know if Gravlax runs into anyone on his way out of the building. Otherwise, his plan is to leave, go straight home, grab his things, grab some food from the kitchen for the monkey, and come straight back. Obviously, many many things could happen in that string of events. I have not entirely decided whether Gravlax is changing at home and returning as The Raven or not.


Cassian/GM:
i am not one to judge Melilot replies, seeing as how I am spending the evening with someone who does this for a living

is it worth waking him up to ask if a half-elf was ever here or should we just move on


Male Human Rogue 15/Shadowcaster 1

Melilot/GM:
Melilot wrote:
i am not one to judge Melilot replies, seeing as how I am spending the evening with someone who does this for a living

Cassian grins at this.

Melilot wrote:
is it worth waking him up to ask if a half-elf was ever here or should we just move on

"If he's already moved, then he's out of our reach. Plus, I'm worried waking this drunk up will make him yell and as truly terrifying as you are with that slingshot, I don't like our chances against an entire garrison. Let's move on."


Cassian/GM:
Melilot nods and, presumably, follows Cassian to the second location on the short list.


Cassian/Melilot:
Alone, for all intents, in the simple building, the stealthy pair hears the mummer of voices from outside, the guards. As ever in devil-cursed Cheliax, there is no doubt paperwork of the arrest, upstairs in one of the offices.

Eavesdropping on the guards will require a stealth roll to get close enough to hear them through the doors. Heading upstairs and looking through paperwork needs a perception roll and will be sped up with a linguistics check to peruse the legalese.


Male Human Rogue 15/Shadowcaster 1

Melilot/GM:
Cassian points to her, then to the voices. He points to himself, then upstairs. He waits for confirmation from Melilot and when he gets it, will head upstairs.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


Cassian/GM:
Melilot nods and heads over to eavesdrop.


GM:
Stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29


when they return

Azhar Mithra Amin wrote:
Azhar approaches Mathalen again, his gear has been cleaned and some is damp enough that he carries it, rather than wears it. "Is there somewhere you would prefer I put this out to dry?" He waits for her answer while looking her over, apparently with no shame. "You look...balanced. I approve. Am I correct in assuming you know how to fight without needing weapons?"

She motions to built-in windowsills and low room dividers, "Place isn't really set up for habitation." Then her eyebrow lifts, "Balanced?" She shakes her head, "It's better to be able to outrun, and I'm really not trained to fight." She shrugs, "When I was younger, I figured out how to keep people from hurting me though. A kick in the right place does wonders."


Cassian:
The offices upstairs are partially lit from the large torches fronting the building, making the information there relatively easy finds for Cassian's dark-adjusted eyes. Picking through the paperwork to find the half-elf's arrest takes a bit longer.

The paperwork, only half written into its official infernal form, records the arrest on the grounds of 'interaction with people of interest.' There is a brief note of a 'jurisdiction conflict' scheduled to go before 'His Royal Justice' tomorrow.


Melilot:
One with the shadows, Melilot makes it to the doors. With just the simple wood between her and the men outside, she can make out their conversation.

Most of the conversation is not of much interest, the normal male harassment of insults and jabs. However, one of them, starts a diatribe about the 'f*+$ing rack' how they 'stole our collar' and that even though they shouldn't because the rebel should be in their jail, the higher ups are more concerned about saving face.


Male Human Rogue 15/Shadowcaster 1

GM:
Satisfied he's found what he came for, Cassian returns to where they were earlier and either waits for Melilot or meets her there.


Cassian/Melilot:
Melilot perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10; Cassian stealth 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21

The tall man creeps down the stairs and, knowing where the halfling should be, heads in that direction walking up to her without her hearing.


Cassian/GM:
Melilot waits silently.


Male Human Rogue 15/Shadowcaster 1

Melilot/GM:
Cassian very gently touches Melilot's shoulder, then moves back just in case the halfling has the same aggressive fast twitch responses he does.


Male Human Mobile Fighter 14 Acrobat 2

About an hour and a half after Cassian and Melilot left to go scouting

Gravlax walks in the front door wearing a black backpack, a shiny rapier, and a black sword. He finds an out-of-the-way nook, and lies down, head on pack, hands on weapons.


Cassian/GM:
As it happens, she does. Especially since he moved back, she manages to check the swing of her little slingshot in time when she sees it is Cassian. It looked like she was going to tap him on the knee with it.

overheard that hellknights have taken a prisoner from them she says a moment later. seems likely to be arael


Male Human Rogue 15/Shadowcaster 1

Melilot/GM:
"Good news. I found his records, and from what I could understand, he was arrested for Interaction With People of Interest.' Basically, he was arrested for the crime we committed earlier. There was some kind of jurisdiction conflict and he's scheduled to go before His Royal Justice tomorrow. Not sure which judge they mean, though."


Melilot:
From the way the guards were complaining, it seemed like the judge signing off was to 'make official' what the hellknights had done so that the dottari commander could save face without getting into an actual fight with the better trained Rack.


Cassian/GM:
huh she says. that makes some of what they were saying make more sense

in that case i think the judge is just going to sign off and make the hellknight claim official based on what they were saying Melilot says. the judge ruling is just so the dottari commander can save face


Male Aasimar Ranger Skirmisher 16
chavamana wrote:
She motions to built-in windowsills and low room dividers, "Place isn't really set up for habitation." Then her eyebrow lifts, "Balanced?" She shakes her head, "It's better to be able to outrun, and I'm really not trained to fight." She shrugs, "When I was younger, I figured out how to keep people from hurting me though. A kick in the right place does wonders."

As Azhar hangs out his things to dry, he continues his conversation with Mathalen, shrugging at her statement. "Staying out of reach often is the best solution." he pauses, wincing slightly "and another is to make sure they can't chase you." he smiles. If Tarvi or any of the others is standing or sitting nearby, his question is directed towards them as well. "So what do you do here?"


Male Aasimar Ranger Skirmisher 16
Gravlax d'Antonio wrote:

About an hour and a half after Cassian and Melilot left to go scouting

Gravlax walks in the front door wearing a black backpack, a shiny rapier, and a black sword. He finds an out-of-the-way nook, and lies down, head on pack, hands on weapons.

Azhar comments softly as Gravlax lies down, "I once heard that a black sword killed the wielder's lover, his best friend and eventually himself." he is eyeing the blade sheathed or not, curiously, "I hope this is not that kind of weapon." he sounds like he is probably joking. Probably.


Cassian/GM:
will do

If there is nothing else needing to be said, Melilot heads back to the temple.

301 to 350 of 9,364 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Shadows Turn - Chavamana's CoT All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.