Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Shadows of the Past (Inactive)

Game Master sunshadow21

A Rise of the Runelords Game

Updated Combat Map


1 to 50 of 1,257 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Sandpoint, a jewel in the rough, a light in the darkness, and other such phrases apply, but really only one matters, it's just dang lucky. Given it's location, and it's history, it shouldn't have even survived, let alone become the shining gem of the Lost Coast. Still, somehow, despite all the odds, and the tragedies, faced by the inhabitants of this village, it promises not only to survive, but to keep growing, and tomorrow represents a big step towards that, with the consecration of a new stone cathedral capable of supporting not one, but six, of the major gods of the region.

Pavro:
The last couple of weeks have been quite busy, and even you have not been able to shirk your duties as the preparations for the Swallowtail Festival. An air of hope and optimism fills the town, and despite the hard work, everyone seems quite upbeat. Finally, the night before the festival begins, you are able to finally get a short break, and head over to the Rusty Dragon to relax for a few hours before a short sleep, and the frenzy of the festival. As you enter the inn, you spy a small group of young ladies gathered around one of the tables, most of which are local, but a slightly younger lass just starting to come into her beauty is not, or if she is, she has been kept well hidden from you. More probably, she is a visitor in town for the festival.

Vors:
You and Evelina arrived in Sandpoint several days ahead of time at the request of Abstalar Zantus, who requested your help in some of the tasks required for the preparation of the consecration of the cathedral. Your sister quickly made friends with some of the girls working at the Rusty Dragon, where you and her are staying, and you have been free to spend your days aiding Zantus without worry of your sister. Finally, the night before the festival arrives, and a lull has settled over the town, as people rest before the festival itself, all the preparations that could be finished ahead of time done. You find yourself in the common room of the Rusty Dragon arguing religion and history with a number of other travelers when you see a young man heading toward the table where your sister is relaxing with her friends. You recognize the man as the nephew of the mayor, a roustabout whose reputation with the ladies makes you a bit concerned for your sister, who looks a few years older than she actually is, taking after her mother in both that regard, and the budding simple beauty she possesses.

Thandion:
You put off the return to Sandpoint as long as possible, but you knew that with the festival, rooms would be scarce, so you forced yourself to show up the day before to ensure that you would be able to get a room at the Rusty Dragon; sure there were other taverns and inns, but the Rusty Dragon was the traveler's inn, and despite your history with the town, or perhaps because of it, you feel more like a traveler than a local. Staying mostly in your room for the majority of the day, trying to piece your thoughts together, you venture down into the common room as evening approaches, and finally are able to relax enough to engage in a spirited conversation with a few other travelers sitting around the huge fireplace.

Severus:
The trip was long, much longer than it really needed to be, but the caravan master was clearly not up to the task, and between the seemingly perpetual delays, and the insistence of your fellow travelers to go on and on about this or that religion, you are relieved to finally see first the farms and then the town emerge out of the vast wilderness the day before the festival. Finally getting into town around dusk, and securing one of the last rooms in the Rusty Dragon, you have just enough time to get cleaned up before heading down into the common room for some repast, and you hope, interesting conversation. Fortunately, you are able to find both, are currently engaged in a lively conversation around the fireplace.

Marcoul:
Though you are skeptical of the success of the mission you have been given by your church elders, you agree to do your best. Arriving in Sandpoint a good week before the festival was due to start, you still find the local clergy busy with preparations and last minute details of the festival, the consecration, and putting the final touches on the cathedral, which is truly as impressive as the reports had indicated. After a few days, you are able to secure a short meeting with Abstalar Zantus, the high priest here, and the meeting, while not a success, could have gone worse. While he makes it quite clear that the pantheon for the cathedral was well set (and you're pretty sure that even if it wasn't, the answer would still be no), he does point you to several smaller chapels and shrines in town where travelers can pray and make offerings to their respective gods, including, if they so desire, Asmodeus, as long as they are respectful of their fellow travelers' beliefs. You find yourself spending most of the week bored out of your mind. While there is a scholarly group in town, they seem more interested in history than anything else, and you have little in common with any of the local clergy, even if they weren't out of their mind busy. Still, visitors start to trickle in, and you at least have some entertaining conversations around the fire at the Rusty Dragon in the evenings, so it's not a complete wash. You will be happy, though, for the festival to be over, so you can return home and your normal routine. The night before the festival, the group of travelers is particularly large, and the conversation actually manages to hold your attention for more than a few brief seconds.

Avian:
You arrive in town to deliver your warning only to find it in a state of optimistic chaos as it prepares to consecrate it's new church, and it becomes clear that no one will have the time to listen to you until this Swallowtail Festival is over. A bit frustrated, you settle into a room at one of the inns, the Rusty Dragon, and watch and wait as patiently as you can, amazed at how oblivious these people are to the dangers that surround them and their homes. The night before the festival, you find yourself in a corner of the common room, simply watching everyone, trying to understand this strange culture that you find yourself immersed in.


Male Human Summoner 3 (Pavro HP 25/25; AC 18/12/16; F +2 R +3, W +2, Init +2, Perception -1) (Aressa HP 24/24; AC 22/12/20; F +4 R +5, W +0; Init +2; Perception +6)

Pavro takes a moment to pose artfully in the doorway, sighing when nobody appears to notice and making a beeline for a table full of lovely ladies practically crying out to be corrupted.

As he strides over he flashes his most dastardly grin to several patrons, winks lasciviously at a few much older women, and gets his usual collection of rolling eyes, wry smiles, and blushes.

Approaching the ladies table his smirks and then sinks to one knee by the newcomer wearing a predatory smile as mirth glitters in his blue velvet eyes.

"My Lady, please I must introduce myself. I am ashamed to say that I am Pavro Deverin, a wastrel and rogue with a tongue made for kisses and lies, and the worth ethic of a Taldoran Lordling. But this day, this glorious day, the gods have seen fit to show me the error of my ways. For I have, despite my most strenuous objections been forced to do an honest days work - more or less - and clearly your presence can be nothing short of a miracle granted to show me the righteousness of that path. I must know your name, unworthy as I am."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

Hahahaha, perfect! Too funny.


M Tengu Gunslinger (Pistolero) 3 / HP 20/22, NLD 0, Grit 1/4, AC 17, Touch 15, Flat 12, F +2, R +7, W +5 / Init +6 (+4 if no grit left), Perc +13, low-light vision

Avian drinks ale, ignoring the stares he is getting each time he dips his beak into the tankard. Amadeus, his faithful wolfhound, lies at his feet, gnawing a bone he had found in a rubbish bin as they had tried in vain to deliver their warning.

Well Amadeus, we're right prophets aren't we? Come to preach destruction while the town parties on. Avian crows in his throaty but staccato voice.

As if to prove his point, the wastrel struts in and begins his flirtations.
Sense Motive check to see if Pavro is a regular in the tavern 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
I'm assuming that check's good enough to recognize a local rather than a tourist. :)

Look at him, Amadeus. He's obviously done this in here a thousand times--not very well as you can see--but that means he might know someone with some pull, who can hear my warning about the giants. He spits the last word. Amadeus sits upright and wimpers consolingly. Better wait to until he's done making a fool of himself, though.


Male Human (Taldan) Paladin 3 (hp 31/31; AC 18, t 11, ff 17; Fort +7/ Ref +4/ Will +6; Init +1; Per +2)

Wearing a frown, Vors walks over to the table where Pavro is chatting up his sister. He positions himself deliberately behind the man, his muscled build still showing significantly behind the cover of the other man's slighter frame.

"Allow me to make introductions. That girl you're making moon-eyes at is my sister, Evelina. I'm glad yer learnin' the benefits of hard work, but my sister's attentions aren't among them. Evie will be thirteen come planting season next year, should you like ta come out to Whistler's Grange and bring her a present, should you still think she's deserving."

"Evie, this here is the mayor's nephew. Quite the character, if word around town is true."

Vors stands with his arms crossed, waiting with a meaningful eye fixed on Pavro.


Male Human Scholar 3 (HP 18/23, AC 17/16/11, F+1 R+5 W+6 (+1 vs divine), Init +2, Perc +9, +1 to find traps)

Severus eyes the current excitement at the center of the room with an appraising eye before turning his attention back to the lively discussion of religion and history.

"The mayor's nephew. I know of him, if only by reputation. Quite the womanizer, or so I have heard."

He briefly flips through the book he brought down with him from his room, then sighs with boredom and turns back to the group of theological discussion.


Male Human Summoner 3 (Pavro HP 25/25; AC 18/12/16; F +2 R +3, W +2, Init +2, Perception -1) (Aressa HP 24/24; AC 22/12/20; F +4 R +5, W +0; Init +2; Perception +6)

Pavro, looking slightly pained peers over his shoulder and upwards,

"Oh you poor man, if I had such a sister I'd be on an even faster track to damnation. And you really shouldn't listen to the gossips around town, it really wounds me - they barely seem to cover half of the stuff I get up to. I blame my parents honestly, mostly because its more convenient than taking responsibility for my own actions - I mean good grief who has that kind of time?"

He glances back to the girls,

"I'm pretty sure I just need the right woman to see past my brash exterior to the sensetive soul inside, then we'll probably settle down and inherit the family Mansion and be gloriously happy... Sadly my brash side is well ingrained and is going to take some strenuous persuading."

Looking back to Vors he continues,

"But forgive me, I'm being unpardonably rude of course I'll come to your lovely sister's birthday party. A couple of days labor and I'm blessed, I better lay off to save some good fortune for everbody else..."

Okay so he's an ass, you all knew that right :)


M Tengu Gunslinger (Pistolero) 3 / HP 20/22, NLD 0, Grit 1/4, AC 17, Touch 15, Flat 12, F +2, R +7, W +5 / Init +6 (+4 if no grit left), Perc +13, low-light vision

At the mention of "mayor's nephew," Avian bolts to his feet and hurries toward the wastrel, the muscled man, and his sister, Avian's foot-talons now showing from under his swishing cloak.

Amadeus bounds after him, rattling a few tables on his way, and sits obediently beside his master. Excuse me, Master Deverin, my name is Avian Fletcher and I have an urgent warning for the town and if you could arrange a meeting with the mayor as soon as possible, I--and the citizens of Sandpoint, I'm sure--would be eternally grateful, he says, trying to keep his voice calm but betraying the glorious near-panic mingled with relief at finding someone with connections.


Male Human Summoner 3 (Pavro HP 25/25; AC 18/12/16; F +2 R +3, W +2, Init +2, Perception -1) (Aressa HP 24/24; AC 22/12/20; F +4 R +5, W +0; Init +2; Perception +6)

Pavro blinks, twists around so he is facing Vors and cupos a hand to his mouth before stage whispering,

"There's a giant crow person asking me to arrange a meeting with the mayor right? You didn't knock me out already and this is some kind of lucid dream? I assume not because the ladies are, regretably, still dressed."

He then nods to Avian,

"What seems to be the problem my good... Bird? Me and my good friend, large scowling chap A here were just in the middle of organizing a birthday party."


M Tengu Gunslinger (Pistolero) 3 / HP 20/22, NLD 0, Grit 1/4, AC 17, Touch 15, Flat 12, F +2, R +7, W +5 / Init +6 (+4 if no grit left), Perc +13, low-light vision

Finally! Sorry I've been all over town, trying to find someone who will stop for five minutes to hear what I have to say, but they've all got their head in the clouds with this festival! Avian pulls a roll of paper out of his cloak pocket and unfurls it, revealing a crude map obviously copied by rubbing charcoal over deep scratches on stone.

I overheard a group of giants discussing plans to attack Sandpoint. They spoke in broken Common, couldn't quite be sure, but this seems to be a map of this area! I am trained in slaying giants, so I thought I could train the town guard--how many giants could you have fought? Anyway, will you help me? Avian takes a deep breath and falls silent. Amadeus tilts his head to the side, looking questioningly.


Male Human (Taldan) Paladin 3 (hp 31/31; AC 18, t 11, ff 17; Fort +7/ Ref +4/ Will +6; Init +1; Per +2)

As his sister gives a giggle at Pavro's reply, Vors shoots a look her way. "Evie! Decorum!"

Looking back at Pavro, he appears ready to retort with a reply not in keeping with the light-hearted jesting going on. However, upon Avian's interruption all thought of pursuing a quarrel vanishes. He listens with concern to the tengu's tale.

"Party plans can keep. I think you should take this fella to see your aunt."

Dark Archive

Male Human Cleric of Asmodeus (Evangelist) 3 AC 19/17/13 / HP 24 / F +6 R +4 W +8 / Init. +2 / Perc. +4)
Pavro Deverin wrote:

Pavro, looking slightly pained peers over his shoulder and upwards,

"Oh you poor man, if I had such a sister I'd be on an even faster track to damnation"

"Young man, I can assure you there are many paths to damnation, but none so sure, nor as quick as taking advantage of a starry eyed farmers daughter. Especially one who ahem has such a large brother." murmurs a calm and consistent voice from the smokey back corner of the tap-room. Rising, is a tall man who is cleanly shaven aside for a small goatee. "I'm no expert in such things, but I also believe she is below the legal age of consent in such matters. But what do I know of the law. " Smiling at the younger man, Marcoul toasts his glass at the elder brother and smiles. "My name is Marcoul Jeggare, might I have your name?"


Male Human Scholar 3 (HP 18/23, AC 17/16/11, F+1 R+5 W+6 (+1 vs divine), Init +2, Perc +9, +1 to find traps)

Hearing about the hardship with the giants, Severus perses his lips and stands to join the others. He regards what his studies have revealed about the race in this area.

Knowledge (History)
1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17

"The giants, you say? What tribe were they?"


M Tengu Gunslinger (Pistolero) 3 / HP 20/22, NLD 0, Grit 1/4, AC 17, Touch 15, Flat 12, F +2, R +7, W +5 / Init +6 (+4 if no grit left), Perc +13, low-light vision

Not sure. Almost looked like a parley between members of different tribes. I reckon that's why they were struggling through Common. Maybe they couldn't understand each others' accents in Giantish? Anyway, I found them up in the Fogscar Mountains near where my village, where my village used to stand. Avian's head droops a little. Didn't want Sandpoint to suffer the same fate.


Evelina is struggling not to laugh out loud as Vors and Pavro go at it, though it's mostly because of her brother's reaction, not anything Pavro is doing. Several of the local ladies have no such hesitation, and poor Pavro's reputation is taking a solid beating until Avian comes up and breaks up the party with his news. Most of the ladies don't know quite how to react, but Evelina does. "Perhaps you should take this somewhere else to discuss that does not involve the common room of an inn, where rumors have been known to be a common reaction. As for Puppy, he is handsome enough, I suppose, but needs to work out a bit more." With that, she turns back to the other girls, and deliberately ignores all of you, including her brother.


Male Elf (Tower Elf) Magus 3 AC 16/12/14 / HP 30/30 / F +4 R +3 W +2 / Init. +2 / Perc. +0 Arcane Pool 2/5

Sitting alone at a table cradling a large mug of mead that he hasn't touched Thandion scans the room for interesting news at conversations. Noticing the usual mating rituals of occupants of the bar his attention moves on. I should have gone to one of the local's bars, Cracktooth's Tavern perhaps. But then I'd be back, better to stay to hear.

The urgent movement of the birdman draws the attention of the ex-watchman in him and he refocuses his attention but it his words of giant attacks that keeps it. Giants attacking? I might die, would that repay what I owe?

Standing up he calls to the bird man and his 'companions' "Friends, you are more than welcome to join me here and I'd be keen to hear about how to defeat giants."


Male Human Scholar 3 (HP 18/23, AC 17/16/11, F+1 R+5 W+6 (+1 vs divine), Init +2, Perc +9, +1 to find traps)

Severus looks around at the full room, noting that most of the people are watching them carefully.

"The lady has a point. This information must seem quite alarmist to most everyone here. And we don't really have enough information to say for certain what or when anything will happen. The town has its own capable defenses, I am certain."

He looks over at Avian, extending his hand. "Severus Aldehnyyne, Student of Ancient Lore and Intriguing Artifacts, from Magnimar. If you like, I can send word to the Stone of Seers. Perhaps one of the diviners there can look into the matter more fully."


Male Human Summoner 3 (Pavro HP 25/25; AC 18/12/16; F +2 R +3, W +2, Init +2, Perception -1) (Aressa HP 24/24; AC 22/12/20; F +4 R +5, W +0; Init +2; Perception +6)

Turning back to the ladies, with his best puppy dog eyes Pavro sighs dramatically,

"And she's smart to ladies, alas my heart break is insurmountable. Well if any of you are ever feeling foolish, and want to enjoy it, please think of me. Pavro Deverin, terrible person excellent lover. Now I fear I must deal with this gentlebird's warning, mainly because I'll never hear the end of it if I don't and giants do turn up..."

Nodding to Marcoul Pavro replies,

"Oh I'm pretty sure I've done things that are swifter paths. And though generally I regard laws as more helpful guidelines as to what its advisable to not get caught doing, that one I am onboard with - fortunetly I've always enjoyed older women. Pleased to meet you by the way Marcoul."

That having been said the wastrel claps his hands together spinning on his heel and beginning to head for the door,

"Right let's get this over with, I'll warn you my Aunt is a practical woman, and she is probably going to be highly skeptical - I know I am. Not that I don't believe you, Avian right? Luckily for me I'm a shameless wastrel, and not the Mayor, so lets get this thing kicked over into the not Pavro's problem pile shall we? Feel free to come along concerned, and or, nosey types."

With that the youngest Deverin heads for home.


Male Human Scholar 3 (HP 18/23, AC 17/16/11, F+1 R+5 W+6 (+1 vs divine), Init +2, Perc +9, +1 to find traps)

"I am one of those, but I will not confirm whether it is concern or nosiness that guides me. If more information is required, my offer remains open indefinitely."

Severus tucks the book under his arm and follows Pavro and presumably Avian.


Male Human (Taldan) Paladin 3 (hp 31/31; AC 18, t 11, ff 17; Fort +7/ Ref +4/ Will +6; Init +1; Per +2)

Vors fumbles in his pouch for a moment and hands his sister a silver piece. "I'll be back soon, I hope. If not, go ahead and get yourself some supper. No ale." With that, he heads out after the others.


Male Human Summoner 3 (Pavro HP 25/25; AC 18/12/16; F +2 R +3, W +2, Init +2, Perception -1) (Aressa HP 24/24; AC 22/12/20; F +4 R +5, W +0; Init +2; Perception +6)

"Because wine gets you drunk so much faster!" Pavro calls back absently.


M Tengu Gunslinger (Pistolero) 3 / HP 20/22, NLD 0, Grit 1/4, AC 17, Touch 15, Flat 12, F +2, R +7, W +5 / Init +6 (+4 if no grit left), Perc +13, low-light vision

To be honest, I'm not sure if this will come to pass. Giants are always hatching half-baked schemes they forget about in the morning. I thought it was unusual they were speaking Common and had a map scratched out. I have simply come to warn the town, present my evidence, and offer my aid. What they do with the information is up to them. I just won't let giants destroy Sandpoint like they did my village, not if I can help it.

Avian takes Severus's hand in his scaly talon and shakes when offered.

I'd be much obliged if you'd send word to the Stone of Seers. Don't have any arcane ability or divine favor of my own, and most fortune tellers I've met are two-bit frauds.


Male Human Scholar 3 (HP 18/23, AC 17/16/11, F+1 R+5 W+6 (+1 vs divine), Init +2, Perc +9, +1 to find traps)

Severus nods. "I will pen the letter tonight, once the mayor has been warned, and hope to send the missive off tomorrow. But with most traffic flowing into Sandpoint instead of out of it, it may be a while before the post arrives. Better late than never, though."

Dark Archive

Male Human Cleric of Asmodeus (Evangelist) 3 AC 19/17/13 / HP 24 / F +6 R +4 W +8 / Init. +2 / Perc. +4)
Severus Aldenhyne wrote:
"The lady has a point. This information must seem quite alarmist to most everyone here. And we don't really have enough information to say for certain what or when anything will happen. The town has its own capable defenses, I am certain."

Raising an eyebrow at the news of giants Marcoul turns to the older man"Yes Scholar Aldehnyyne I quiet agree, all of this talk boarders on fear mongering! And I don't believe it is at all appropriate within a tavern. Why one would not yell Fire in a crowded town hall, it would cause a panic. Let us see about notifying the proper authority and let them handle it from there."


M Tengu Gunslinger (Pistolero) 3 / HP 20/22, NLD 0, Grit 1/4, AC 17, Touch 15, Flat 12, F +2, R +7, W +5 / Init +6 (+4 if no grit left), Perc +13, low-light vision

Avian shifts weight from one foot to another. Believe me, talking about it in a tavern wasn't my first choice. Couldn't find no one in charge to tell with all this ruckus with the festival, and then I hear Pavro say he is the mayor's nephew. Figured it was my one chance to warn the town before the festival is over. I'd rather start a panic that turned out to be unfounded than keep silent and let disaster fall. Avian chirps defiantly at the last sentence.


The odd party makes its way through the streets of Sandpoint, but never makes it to its original destination, bumping into a patrol led by Sheriff Hemlock first. The massive Shoanti stops you as Pavro tries to race through the streets as fast as possible so he could get back to his favored pursuits. "Now just hold it there, young man. Just where do you think you are going in such a hurry with such a group behind you? What did you do this time to get into trouble?"


Male Elf (Tower Elf) Magus 3 AC 16/12/14 / HP 30/30 / F +4 R +3 W +2 / Init. +2 / Perc. +0 Arcane Pool 2/5

Thandion watches the group leave, after dithering for moment decides to follow. Just before he catches up to them they are confronted by the sheriff. He pausing for just a moment what will he think of me after all these years. Then the elf calls out from his position well behind the group "Hemlock, just person I was looking for." as he speaks he walks quickly forward to catchup. "I overheard this... gentleman"[b] he says indicating Avian Fletcher [b]"claiming to have proof of an upcoming attack on sandpoint. I was just trying to catch up to him to suggest talking to you. I can assure you none of them have got themselves into trouble so far this evening and I think that it would be prudent to look this gentleman's proof given what is at stake."

sorry for the slow start, work is very busy currently (I'm a teacher and reports are due tomorrow.)


Male Human Summoner 3 (Pavro HP 25/25; AC 18/12/16; F +2 R +3, W +2, Init +2, Perception -1) (Aressa HP 24/24; AC 22/12/20; F +4 R +5, W +0; Init +2; Perception +6)

Pavro sighs,

"Sheriff why do you always assume I'm in trouble? Most of the more fun kinds of trouble require a lot of working up to. Besides I am being a good citizen, I was going to report this birdman here's concerns about a giant attack to my Aunt, but as you are here you will do nicely."

Pavro, gestures for Avian to come forward and tell his tale, voice sobering as he adds,

"Giants destroyed his village, so I'm disinclined to take his words lightly."


Sheriff Hemlock listens quietly before turning to the others on the patrol, "Keep going, I will rejoin you shortly." Turning back to you, he points in the direction of the garrison, "This is not a business to deal with on the streets. Follow me to the garrison, where we can talk more comfortably."

As the party follows him, you are just able to catch a rather humorous conversation amongst the guards. "That fool not in trouble? That's a first." "The night is yet young. That'll most likely change."

As he walks, the sheriff quietly observes Thandion, particularly the empty scabbard. "It is good to see that you have allowed yourself to return for tomorrow's festival. It is important to remember the past, but equally important not to live in it. One must always remember that walking is much easier when you are paying attention to where you are about to put your feet than it is when you focus on where your feet just were."

Dark Archive

Male Human Cleric of Asmodeus (Evangelist) 3 AC 19/17/13 / HP 24 / F +6 R +4 W +8 / Init. +2 / Perc. +4)
The Voice of Wisdom wrote:
"This is not a business to deal with on the streets. Follow me to the garrison, where we can talk more comfortably."

"Yes Sheriff, I agree completely. We wouldn't want to cause a panic the night before the festival. Let us go to your barracks so you can take that statement."


You arrive at the garrison, and Hemlock leads you all into what appears to be a conference room. "Now then, what is this about giants attacking our city?"


M Tengu Gunslinger (Pistolero) 3 / HP 20/22, NLD 0, Grit 1/4, AC 17, Touch 15, Flat 12, F +2, R +7, W +5 / Init +6 (+4 if no grit left), Perc +13, low-light vision

I am Avian Fletcher, sir, and I was tracking a giant spider up in the Fogscar mountains when I stumbled upon a trio of giants talking in broken Common--I thought they might be emissaries from different tribes. They were planning an attack, saying they'd get more giants from their tribes and start raiding south of the mountains. I couldn't take them out on my own, so I waited until they moved on the next morning and then copied this map they scratched into the rock. The map clearly shows an intent to raid Sandpoint. Avian unfurls the map he had copied by rubbing charcoal on the paper over the scratchings. My village was decimated by giants, and my family has been training ever since on slaying them. I could train your guard in giant slaying techniques, if you would permit me.

Avian finishes, taking a deep breath and sits, absently scratching Amadeus's ears as he waits for a reply.


Male Human Summoner 3 (Pavro HP 25/25; AC 18/12/16; F +2 R +3, W +2, Init +2, Perception -1) (Aressa HP 24/24; AC 22/12/20; F +4 R +5, W +0; Init +2; Perception +6)

Pavro grins at the guards conversation, taking a perverse pride in their remarks and offering them a jaunty bow. Upon reaching the garrison he hops onto the nearest avaiable desk or table, sitting their and making a rolling gesture with his hands at Avian to tell his tale.


Male Elf (Tower Elf) Magus 3 AC 16/12/14 / HP 30/30 / F +4 R +3 W +2 / Init. +2 / Perc. +0 Arcane Pool 2/5

Thandion walks quietly next to Hemlock, wincing slightly at the sheriff word, for a moment he looks like he will argue but only says "True."

When the map is brought out he studies it closely. He says quietly almost to himself "Why would giants that far away want to raid Sandpoint?"

Turning to Avian and offering a hand "I am Thandion, and I find myself currently in need of a cause to fight for. I would gladly take your offer."


M Tengu Gunslinger (Pistolero) 3 / HP 20/22, NLD 0, Grit 1/4, AC 17, Touch 15, Flat 12, F +2, R +7, W +5 / Init +6 (+4 if no grit left), Perc +13, low-light vision

Do I need to roll Diplomacy? Just in case 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7

Avian takes his hand and shakes it. Thank you, Thandion. He turns to the sheriff, staring up at him with black eyes. If nothing else, sir, it can't hurt to bolster your defenses and train your men against a dangerous enemy.

Well, that Diplomacy roll went well lol...


Male Human Scholar 3 (HP 18/23, AC 17/16/11, F+1 R+5 W+6 (+1 vs divine), Init +2, Perc +9, +1 to find traps)

Severus strokes his beard thoughtfully as he considers the conundrum.

Knowledge (geography)
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Knowledge (history)
1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24

Knowledge (local)
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

He reveals the information he remembers on the tribe(s) of stone giants from what he has come across in his studies.


Male Human (Taldan) Paladin 3 (hp 31/31; AC 18, t 11, ff 17; Fort +7/ Ref +4/ Will +6; Init +1; Per +2)

"The feathered fellow has a point, sir. Sandpoint is a growing town. Prosperity can garner the gaze of the type of folk who'd take from someone else rather than make do for themselves. Seems an awful lot of planning and mapping for idle talk. Best err on the side of caution, if you don't mind my saying so."

Aid another on Avian's Diplomacy roll: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Cleric of Asmodeus (Evangelist) 3 AC 19/17/13 / HP 24 / F +6 R +4 W +8 / Init. +2 / Perc. +4)

"I'm sure the good sheriff will handle the situation from here. Frankly though, lets be honest. Sandpoint is a small town, with perhaps a population of around thousand? How many giants could the town reasonably fight off sheriff? Two? Three? I suspect a great many people would die. I can see only two outcomes. Either the Mr. Hemlock could notify Magnimar, since I believe Sandpoint is still a holding of Magnimar, and request aid, they may of course provide some limited aid. Or we can trust to our gods to provide. Sheriff, I'll be leaving for Magnimar following the festival tomorrow, if you like I could bring a petition to my church? Its possible we could also provide some security in the form of the Order of the Nail." Smiling at the sheriff with a face of utter sincerity Marcoul continues. "I assure you sheriff, that it would be no trouble at all. After all, Law and Order are something dear to my heart, as dear to me as I am sure it is to you."

Aid Another: Avian's Diplomacy 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11


Male Human Summoner 3 (Pavro HP 25/25; AC 18/12/16; F +2 R +3, W +2, Init +2, Perception -1) (Aressa HP 24/24; AC 22/12/20; F +4 R +5, W +0; Init +2; Perception +6)

Unimpressed with his new friends efforts at persuasion, Pavro tries a foray using his own more unique methods,

"I'm sure you are planning to do something about this being a paragon of responsibility and all, but if you are doing nothing - plan A as I like to call it - then consider the fact that I tried to do something about it. Even if its a tiny chance having everyone say, "Oh Pavro tried to tell him, but the Sheriff wouldn't listen and now my bones have been ground up to make inferior quality bread," would be really annoying. Besides anything you do is only going to make the town safer and your men better trained, hardly a sacrifice, right?"

Seperate Diplomacy check, not aiding...

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25


Sheriff Hemlock seems lost in thought as he examines the map. After a few minutes he seems to come to, and realizes that you were talking, "Sorry about that; it's one thing to know of a general threat, but another thing entirely to see actual plans of one. There is little that can be done tonight, but if you are interested in helping, talk to the day after tomorrow. I believe our local ranger was planning on returning after checking out some potentially disturbing news of her own regarding the goblins, and it would be best to coordinate efforts. In the meantime, enjoy tomorrow. There may be clouds on the horizon, but they are not here yet, and life is too short to constantly be worried about the next storm. Oh, and Pavro, do try to stay out of trouble. I know you like the ladies, but you might want to make sure they aren't attached to anyone before you approach strangers." With that, he heads back out to patrol duty, and you return to your evening pursuits. Vors, you find your sister has ordered supper, which includes an untouched partial mug of heavily watered down ale.

Go ahead and keep rping the evening while I get the other group settled. I will move the game forward sometime tomorrow or Sunday.


Male Human (Taldan) Paladin 3 (hp 31/31; AC 18, t 11, ff 17; Fort +7/ Ref +4/ Will +6; Init +1; Per +2)

Vors moves over to his sister and playfully ruffles her hair. While she's busy fixing it, he steals a piece of meat from her plate and grabs up the mug. He pops the meat into his mouth, gives an approving grunt, and eats it. Then he takes a swallow from the mug, making a face.

"I'm pretty sure they don't water down their ale, not this much anyway. You got Ma's cleverness, that's for sure, but this won't work. Da used to try the same thing when..." He trails off, gazing around at present company and deciding now is not the time to speak of such things.

Instead, he sits down, inviting the others to join him and his sister at their table.


M Tengu Gunslinger (Pistolero) 3 / HP 20/22, NLD 0, Grit 1/4, AC 17, Touch 15, Flat 12, F +2, R +7, W +5 / Init +6 (+4 if no grit left), Perc +13, low-light vision

Avian accepts the invitation and sits down at their table. Thank you for vouching for me, Vors, was it? Not many people'd listen to a bird like me.

He pulls a piece of jerky out of his belt pouch and absently feeds it to Amadeus, who happily gnaws the tough smoked meat. The moment he took to retrieve the jerky reveals a battered pistol on his belt in a holster and two powder horns side by side hanging from his belt, as well as a long, somewhat curved sword something like a scimitar in a scabbard on the other side.


Male Elf (Tower Elf) Magus 3 AC 16/12/14 / HP 30/30 / F +4 R +3 W +2 / Init. +2 / Perc. +0 Arcane Pool 2/5

"Sorry for bursting in before with Sheriff Hemlock without introducing myself. I am known as Thandion." Thandion says a little woodenly and bowing slightly to the group. "Once I work a long side Hemlock and thought I might be of a little use. Mr Fletcher? Do you have any clue as when the giants are planning to attack?"


Male Human Summoner 3 (Pavro HP 25/25; AC 18/12/16; F +2 R +3, W +2, Init +2, Perception -1) (Aressa HP 24/24; AC 22/12/20; F +4 R +5, W +0; Init +2; Perception +6)

Pavro obliges cheerfully taking a seat and ordering ale and apple pie,

"So what do you think gents are we all up for coordinating efforts? With the, oh you know the thing the Sheriff said, something about goblins. I'm thinking it might get us out of clean up work after the festival, and its bound to go down better with the ladies. Goblins seem more conveniently sized than giants..."

He nods cheerfully to Thandion as he introduces himself and bows, the name triggering a faint twinge of recognition, but nothing more.


Male Human (Taldan) Paladin 3 (hp 31/31; AC 18, t 11, ff 17; Fort +7/ Ref +4/ Will +6; Init +1; Per +2)

Vors nods amiably at Avian. "T'weren't nothing. I'll admit you look odd to me, but your interest in protecting the town seemed sincere." He pauses to order a bowl of stew and some bread and cheese, along with another ale. "Though I have to say that what convinced me was your dog. Good fella, well behaved. I find that folk harboring ill will tend to have ill-behaved dogs, when they have them at all. Not a sure-fire test, but it helps."


M Tengu Gunslinger (Pistolero) 3 / HP 20/22, NLD 0, Grit 1/4, AC 17, Touch 15, Flat 12, F +2, R +7, W +5 / Init +6 (+4 if no grit left), Perc +13, low-light vision

May as well stick together, I could use a good fight. Trip down here was too quiet!

He turns to Thandion and looks thoughtfully. Could be a few weeks, if the giants are all in on the plan. Reckon it'll be a few months though, since they're so quarrelsome. It'll take that long for them to fight out who gets to be in charge and such. Better be safe than sorry though.

To Vors he smiles, Amadeus is a good boy. Been through a lot, me and him. I bought him in Riddleport from a halfling trainer because I needed help carrying my gear, and wanted something more compact than a horse. I've grown rather fond of him since then, of course. Avian rubs Amadeus's head affectionately.


Evelina can't resist a snort at Pavro's comment, and as it becomes clear that the discussion is not going a direction she is interested in, she excuses herself and heads back to the kitchen to see if she can help, her own supper over.


Male Human Scholar 3 (HP 18/23, AC 17/16/11, F+1 R+5 W+6 (+1 vs divine), Init +2, Perc +9, +1 to find traps)

Severus returns to the Rusty Dragon with the others and pens a letter to the Stone of Seers to see if any diviners might be available to look into the situation with the giants, as he promised Avian.

Under his breath, he mutters, "I trust the hell knights more than I trust Asmodeus or his 'followers'; at least they believe in something a little more concrete than a deity."


Male Elf (Tower Elf) Magus 3 AC 16/12/14 / HP 30/30 / F +4 R +3 W +2 / Init. +2 / Perc. +0 Arcane Pool 2/5

"Doubt the goblins will be any trouble. They are just smart enough to know that doing more than stealing the occasional item will get them killed. Can I get anyone a drink?" Thandion asks taking a step towards the bar.


Male Human Scholar 3 (HP 18/23, AC 17/16/11, F+1 R+5 W+6 (+1 vs divine), Init +2, Perc +9, +1 to find traps)

"I would not take the goblins threat too lightly. Stealing might be their individual plans, but in groups they can be deadly. As any adventurer who's faced them might tell you."


Male Human Summoner 3 (Pavro HP 25/25; AC 18/12/16; F +2 R +3, W +2, Init +2, Perception -1) (Aressa HP 24/24; AC 22/12/20; F +4 R +5, W +0; Init +2; Perception +6)

"Well if the Sheriff wants some brave lads to patrol he can call on me! I'll have Ameiko make us some food, bring a few skins of wine, I know some lovely spots where we could keep watch, wink wink. Much better than being in the clean up crew." Pavro says enthusiastically, before adding in a careful whisper,

"And on the off chance we do get into a fight, I want you to know I'm a lot more useful than I would appear. I have a little arcane magic, I'm no wizard, but well you will see if needed I suppose."

1 to 50 of 1,257 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadows of the Past All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.