Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Red Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


1,551 to 1,600 of 1,871 << first < prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | next > last >>
Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Gaius:
Observation doesn't show any motion you can discern. It is, however, brighter than any other object in the sky with the exception of the sliver of moon just now rising above the mountains.

Tarrana & Gaius:
The girl's eyes widen as the package falls, but she retains her composure in order to watch Tarrana open it. Sitting in the cloth is a bracelet, made of silver wire that has been twisted around itself, and around a chunk of raw amethyst that adorns its top. She gives a sniff and rubs her nose with the back of one of her mittens.

"It belonged to Missus Eventide. She gave it to me as a gift before she went away, but it's too big for me. I wanted you to have it, on 'count that it's Midwinter, and we give gifts to folks."


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Stilgar frowns guiltily, well aware that his leave of absence had been unannounced. The mention of Grundar renders him a little uneasy, but he nods at Chandler's words.

"My apologies, Speaker. I had promised to carry out an errand for one of my superiors. Admittedly, the timing of my departure was not exactly impeccable..." he says, thinking back to the last festival.

"Has anything of note happened since then?"


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Is the Thane's Festival held on the same date as that of the civilian's? In either case, I will accept the invitation, but I may be fashionably late to the Thane's party if my human friends are also celebrating.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The dwarves' celebration is held the same night.

Stilgar & Magnus:
Chandler preens a bit, apparently glad to be a source of information. "It appears that the young Lord Grundar is a bit distraught. Apparently his good friend, Morgrim Thrallhammer, is missing. The good captain was leading efforts to locate rebels north of Three Oaks and his patrol never returned. With the snows as heavy as they have been, one can only hope they've sheltered somewhere and have enough food to last. If he was killed in an engagement, or worse, fell victim to the elements, the thane's son will be inconsolable, I'm sure."


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

Gaius Keeps his eyes fixed on the sky.
"That can't be good."

Paying little attention to the village around him Gaius walks along a line taking him neither nearer or farther to the odd light.

Any parallax? Is it twinkeling like the other stars? Trying to get an idea of distance. If there is any parallax then it likely only miles away. If it does not twinkle then it is in the thousands/millions of miles range, likely in the same solar system.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Gaius:
It gives the appearance of a planet rather than a star, though brighter than any of them visible in the sky at the moment.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Magnus perks up a bit, but tries not to seem too interested. "Sounds like important business. I would love to hear more if you know it. I'm always interested in the ways of our governance. What sort of rebels were they looking for? deserters, traders of illegal goods, perhaps... blasphemers? "

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Magnus & Stilgar:
"Rebels of the worst sort," Chandler replies with undisguised glee. "Apparently there was a secret outpost of the Hand of Jorin in the hills north of the town. They killed a patrol in a fierce battle that took the lives of many of the rebels. Word is that Morgrim nearly had the survivors but they were rescued by the birdfolk. It's said the Jarl may have his troops harry the akaara with missile fire in an attempt to force them out of the territory."


Tarrana regards the bracelet carefully before saying anything. The mention of the woman from before is alarming but she has no particular desire to hurt the girls feelings without a full understanding of what she is looking at.

Detect Magic on the bracelet.


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

Does gaius have any clue where Stilgar or Magus have got to?

"Forgive me M'lady. I have to go tell someone the sky is falling.

Gaius heads directly for the meeting hall.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

It is the last place Gaius saw them headed...

Tarrana casts her spell, and the girl gasps, a wide-eyed look of anticipation on her face. However, as you take the time to concentrate, her look turns to disappointment. You detect no magic from the bracelet.

"I thought maybe you were gonna do magic. Ms. Eventide used to do magic. This one time, I saw her burn a bunch of barbarians," she says, sniffing and rubbing her nose with one of her mittens.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Ba-bump.

"Such ceaseless violence, it's a shame it must go on," Stilgar says, his tone somber, "But if that is the price that must be paid, well... has anything else gone on as of late...?"

Catching sight of Gaius, he would nod towards him, wondering if he has finally decided to join the festivities.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

"Indeed, we have been a bit out of the loop about the goings on here as of late. What news have you? " Seeing Gaius, Magnus will acknowledge him with a nod before turning back to Chandler. "It appears we are needed for another audience, friend. Thank you kindly and we shall see you again. " Dismissively, Magnus forms a small circle with his allies and makes small talk, waiting for the Chandler to move off before starting the "real" conversation.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Chandler stands uncomfortably for a moment, adjusting his rich robes and smoothing his hair. Then, realizing he's been summarily dismissed, frowns and strides off attempting to look as if he has other places to be. He flicks a glance over his shoulder and spares Magnus a scowl before becoming lost in the crowd.


Tarrana looks up at the girl and gives a small smile. "I'm sorry to say I have nothing to give you. I've never had anyone to gift anything too. But, what can you tell me about Ms. Eventide?"


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Stilgar frowns as he watches the Speaker move away and shakes his head.

"A man with wounded pride can be a dangerous thing. Perhaps it would have been better to humor him for a while longer; I would rather us be on his good side."

"At any rate, is something the matter Gaius? I confess, I had been under the impression that the festivities weren't to your liking. I didn't expect to see you around."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey
Tarrana wrote:
Tarrana looks up at the girl and gives a small smile. "I'm sorry to say I have nothing to give you. I've never had anyone to gift anything too. But, what can you tell me about Ms. Eventide?"

"Well...could you show me some magic? I like magic. That'd be a good gift. An' I can tell you all about Ms. Eventide, if you like." She scuffs a hole in the dirt revealed by the heat of the fire with the toe of her boot.


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2
Stilgar Fulgrum wrote:

Stilgar frowns as he watches the Speaker move away and shakes his head.

"A man with wounded pride can be a dangerous thing. Perhaps it would have been better to humor him for a while longer; I would rather us be on his good side."

"At any rate, is something the matter Gaius? I confess, I had been under the impression that the festivities weren't to your liking. I didn't expect to see you around."

Gaius is clearly concerned about something.

"Stilgar, Magnus. There is something outside you need to see."

To whoumever follows.:
Once outside Gaius heads to a darck corner with good visibility.

"Look there. Start with the shutter on that grocer's shop, Follow the line up to the chimey. No imagine a still collum of smoke and follow that line up. Do you see where that line crosses Baal's belt?
Good now back down a bit. Do you see that bright star about a third of the way back to the grocer's roof?"

"Good."

"That star was not there last night."

"I do not know what it means but I very much doubt it is good news."


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Stilgar's eyes follow Gaius' instructions, a frown passing over his face as they find the star in question.

"Hm. That is quite strange, but..." he comments, knowing next to nothing about the particulars of astrology. Not quite understanding Gaius' concern, he contemplates the religious implications of the event, or the relation of stars to Baal in general.

Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

He shakes his head, looking back to Gaius.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

k(any) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

"Are you certain of this?" Magnus contemplates what this may mean, and considers the pertinence of this information as compared to his social faux-pas a moment ago. "Gaius, you have a powerful connection to the skies, and I tend to defer to you in this situation, but I wonder if this wouldn't be a trick of the eye? perhaps it is a particularly clear night and the star was obscured previously? " Magnus is attempting to evade the inevitable conclusion that this discovery will lead to. He certainly wants to know the truth about this event, but getting caught up now could close other, more immediate windows of opportunity for him with the local political circles.


Tarrana looks about nervously before attempting anything. After a moment she points to one of the burning coals in the fireplace and makes it lift up and dance every so slightly. It makes a tingling noise before the fire eventually engulfs the coal and she lets it disintegrate back into the fire.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Stilgar: Stars aren't normally part of the theology surrounding Baal, though a common myth is that they are sparks sent up into the sky by the blows of his hammer when at work in the forge.

Magnus: You think back to your knowledge of constellations while observing Gaius' discovery and realize that, yes, this is a new star. It should not be there, and it is outshining the rest of the heavenly bodies visible in the night sky.

Tarrana: The girl gives a smile and a wink, mouthing the words "Thank you." Then she takes your hand and pulls you over to an area where there is a pot of hot cider keeping warm over banked coals. After getting each of you a mug, she says "Ms. Eventide was the wife of the man that used to run our store. She says she came from somewhere else. I liked her because she used to paint pictures. She did one of me once. She could do magic too. Once, when the Narok came and started killing people and taking our stuff, she turned into a monster and burned them with fire."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

"hmm... intriguing, but what would you have us do about it, Gaius? Should we just fly up and paint the star out? although intriguing, it isn't necessarily dangerous. "


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

"I don't see there is anything to do about it. But it cannot be there. This means something."

Gaius looks again at the impossible sky.

"Loath as I am to draw the attention of the iron-workers they might know something. Perhaps you of more favored height could find out what they know. I would hate to abuse our big headed friend's hospitality if there is another way."


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Stilgar scratches his beard, still puzzled by the supposed significance of the star.

"I am sure Grundar would be willing to tell Magnus what he knows about it, if anything. From the sound of things, he has taken quite the liking to him. However, unless I'm mistaken, I believe the Grand Archive would be of more use for this end. Unfortunately, I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be to reach now that winter is in full..."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

"I have another idea. It may not tell us everything, but it will at least tell us if the star itself is what it claims to be."
Magnus semi-jogs to one end of town and sends senses as far as he can, taking a few moments to ponder and memorize what he has seen. He then moves to the opposite side of town and does the same thing.
k(engineering?)-mathematics 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Magnus is using relative star positions and triangulation to determine if the star is an actual celestial body, or if it is actually closer to the planet than first suspected.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Magnus: You're unable to get an accurate reading.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

...worth a shot...
Magnus turns back to the group. Well, let's not cause undue panic. This could be a good sign as well. Perhaps the birth of a star means new life? In any case, I think it wise to let the celebrations here continue. I shall commence more research once the Mid-winter festival has finished. I will however, make mention of it to the Thane and see what he thinks. "
Magnus then suggests that everyone stay close together for the time being, in case we must move out quickly.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

"Perhaps that would be for the best, though I doubt we will need to depart."

Looking about the group, Stilgar notices than one of them is not present.

"By the way, where is Tarrana?" he asks, slight worry in his tone.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

"I am sure she is in one of her usual whereabout locations. " Magnus gestures to Gaius to lead the way. Assuming he obliges, Magnus will follow, keeping up a conversation. "Friend Stilgar, I remember that some time ago you showed us a scroll tube that contained various pieces of important information, and that one of those pertained to a raid at midwinter. Do you think we should expect such a thing again as five years ago? It seems we have a nasty tendency to fall right into the footsteps of the past. "

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

As the trio stands in front of the hall, Stilgar notes others nearby, apparently waiting for room to pass inside. However, as he moves and indicates the others should follow, he realizes that they seem somehow familiar. A tall human man, his close-cropped hair and beard salted with gray, but his lined face leaves his exact age vague. He wears a rich brocaded robe, fur-lined against the winter chill. On his arm is a tall woman, her face hidden beneath a voluminous fur-lined hood. Behind them is a barrel-chested gnome bearing a backpack as large as he is, as well as a great canvas sack in his arms.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Stilgar frowns, unable to shake the feeling that he has seen or met these people somewhere before. As he steps aside to let them through, he decides to be direct.

"My apologies, but have we met before?" he asks as courteously as possible, looking among those in the trio.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The older man gives a slight bow and a faint smile. "We've seen each other in passing, I believe. The Harvest Festival. With everyone masked, it can be difficult to remember folks," he says, reaching back to fumble in the sack the gnome carries. "Gaius was kind enough to make our acquaintance during our short visit then. However, you are Stilgar, the priest of the local church, are you not?" Without waiting for an affirmative reply, he pulls a small bag, decorated with a cloth ribbon, from the sack. With a smile, he hands it to Stilgar. "Happy Midwinter."


"I see." Tarrana says a troubled look coming over her eyes. "And then the dwarves came?"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey
Tarrana wrote:
"I see." Tarrana says a troubled look coming over her eyes. "And then the dwarves came?"

The young girl nods. "They came and at first they were just chasing the rest of the Narok and taking bodies away. Then they started pounding on the door of the shop. When no one answered, they broke it down. Ms. Eventide turned into a monster again and fought them, but they won and took her and her husband away. Now Mister Chandler owns their shop. He used to be just the candlemaker across the way. Now he's village speaker too."


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

"I am indeed," Stilgar says with a smile, somewhat relieved over the recognition. Surprise passes over his face when the man offers him the bag. Not usually taken to receive holiday gifts, he hesitates briefly before accepting it.

"Why, thank you kindly. Happy Midwinter to the three of you as well," he says warmly as he examines the present, before looking to the trio again, "But might I trouble you for your name? It would be wrong of me to accept your generosity otherwise."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

"Well, as I recall I was going by Wolf at High Harvest, but you may call me Wayland, since I no longer have the mask." He turns to the woman on his arm. "What is it you are going by these days?" he asks. Enough of her angular face and pointed chin are revealed beneath the hood for those assembled to see her smile.

"Astarte," she replies. You note that Wayland makes no offer to give you the gnome's name, ignoring him for now as he stamps his hobnail boots in an attempt to warm up.

Inside the bag is a string of prayer beads, each bead crafted of some metal or stone that holds significance to the Baalite religion. Attached to it is a miniature iron hammer bearing the mark of Baal's eye upon it. The are normally worn about the waist.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Would the beads work as a holy symbol?

And Knowledge (religion) for any additional insight on them: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Stilgar runs the beads through his hands, admiring their craftsmanship before returning them to the bag for the time being.

"It is a fine gift, Wayland. Though regretfully, I have nothing to give you in return."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Yes, the beads would work as a divine focus. They're fairly common among those just entering the faith, used as mnemonic devices to learn scripture, each bead having a common prayer to go with it.

"I doubt that. Not all gifts are material. While it is usually up to the giver to decide on a gift, I'd like to bend tradition a bit and make a request. Should you, in your travels, meet a queen, tell her this for me: 'Your sister requests that travelers be allowed to use the road freely.' Grant me this, and your Midwinter gift is given and well received."

"Now then, I believe I have something in here for Magnus,as well..." Wayland begins digging into the sack the gnome carries. "You too, Gaius. Don't run off. Then we can find Tessara so she can receive her gift as well."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Magnus watches the group closely. Something about them reminds him of a story he once heard... "Ah! Now, I remember you." Magnus blurts. "I thank you for your gifts, and indeed I have a gift now to share with you, but not here. I bring the gift of private information. "


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Stilgar thinks on Wayland's words for a moment, perplexed by his request. Nonetheless, he could think of no objections. Stroking his beard, he nods.

"I can do this for you," he says, "Though I must admit, I do not foresee finding myself before royalty."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

*bump?*


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

"Well met friends, and a special midwinter greeting to you Mule."

On Waylands mention of gifts.

"A gift among friends, freely given and accepted with warmth, is one of the fine and unexpected boons of this world."

Sense motive on Wayland. There are strings attached to these "gifts". 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20 Hmmm might find something.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

"Well then, Magnus...here we are," says Wayland, producing a bundle of cloth tied with a ribbon.

Gaius:
Wayland gives you a rather odd impression. Whether there are strings attached to these gifts is uncertain, but the gifts seem tailored to each person as if Wayland knew them personally. However, this seems unlikely, unless he's been watching you, as none of you have ever had any real opportunity to speak with him at length. Another thing you notice is that while he looks directly at each person he speaks with, his blue eyes don't seem to be quite focusing on them, but rather on a point somewhere beyond or behind them.

Digging into the sack again, he produces a small envelope of folded parchment that hardly seems to weigh anything. This he hands to Gaius. "Happy Midwinter, and may this serve you well."

That said, he turns off toward the town center. "Let's find Tarrana, shall we?" As he starts off, he stumbles over a keg left outside the hall, though it is in plain sight. Astarte takes his arm again and guides him around the obstacle as if he couldn't see it.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Magnus turns to his allies, pausing for a moment and looking at the gift he has received "Shall we follow? We were looking for Tarrana anyways."


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Stilgar nods, finding himself rather interested in the strange trio. At Magnus' behest, he follows.


Tarrana nods meaningfully still in conversation with the little girl. "Why didn't she go away when the dwarves come? Wouldn't have been easier than trying to fight them?"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Tarrana: The girl chews on her bottom lip for a moment, and then shrugs. "I don't know. Maybe she thought people would be on her side, since she killed the Narok. Maybe she figured she could just kill the dwarves like she did the raiders."

As the others approach, the girl seems reluctant to continue the conversation, slipping to interpose Tarrana between herself and the arriving folks.

Wayland and Astarte stop beside the fire and the older man digs through the sack again. "Yes, here we are... For you, Tarrana," he says, as he pulls out a cloth bundle and hands it to her.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Magnus approaches the group. Noting the little girl, he nods towards her and smiles before turning back to the adults in the group. "Very good, now that we are all assembled, I think it important that we speak at length, and I won't take no for an answer. " Magnus will gesture to the doorway and lead the group to the most secluded place he knows.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Wayland flashes a grin. "How very cloak and dagger. What fun!"

1,551 to 1,600 of 1,871 << first < prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Red Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.