Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Red Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


1,501 to 1,550 of 1,871 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>
Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

As the rest of the group steps within the semi-circle, a booming voice issues from the stone head, loudly enough to make you wince and wish to cover your ears.

"IS THIS ALL OF THEM? FOR THE SAKE OF BREVITY THEY SHOULD ALL ATTEND, SO NO QUESTION GOES TO WASTE. WHEN YOU ARE READY, PROCEED AND ASK YOUR QUESTIONS OF THE ARCHIVE."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Magnus looks about his allies then steps forward slightly, gesturing to Stilgar, assuming that he is the one who must ask. "Ask him how long it has been since someone besides you or I spoke to him here."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

It appears that whoever stands in the circle asks the questions. As loud as the voice is, it doesn't echo off the cave walls as you'd expect. Apparently its speech is magically contained within the area you're standing in.

For sake of flow, I'll assume that any questions which will not require the head's commune ability will be asked through Stilgar. If there is something that it will need that ability for, the group can decide whether they want to spend a question on that query or not.

"TIME IS IRRELEVANT TO ME. HOWEVER, WHEN LAST I WAS CONSULTED, THIS ARCHIVE WAS ATTENDED BY A GROUP OF SCHOLARS DEDICATED TO ITS GROWTH AND PRESERVATION."


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Stilgar nods gingerly, the answer to Magnus' question confirming his suspicions. As the head stops speaking, Stilgar speaks once more.

"With the communion in place, I will ask the question you could not answer before: was the one who sent our assailants truly acting on behalf of the Order of the Flame?"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

"I SHALL CONSULT... YES. AND NO. THE ORDER IS DIVIDED AGAINST ITSELF."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

How did this place come to exist? Who were the scholars who attended to you here? Where are they now? How can we restore your organization?

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

In answer to Magnus' question, the head intones the long, long...very long, history of the place, in great detail. You manage to garner that it was built prior to the Great Wounding and that this place was chosen for its strength and ability to withstand the cataclysms that were occurring. The order that served here were both layman scholars and clergy of Mimir, meaning to preserve a vast collection of the world's knowledge from being lost. The head surmises that they are all dead now, or else there would still be people in attendance keeping the archive from deteriorating as it has, though if you wish to use another question in communion to make sure, it will do so. By this time, the party's ears are ringing.

As to the gnome's last question, the head simply replies:

"THAT WOULD REQUIRE A NEW INFLUX OF SCHOLARS AND PRIESTS AND A SIZEABLE AMOUNT OF MATERIALS. THEY WOULD, OF COURSE, NEED TO ESTABLISH THEIR ARCHIVE IN A COOL, DRY PLACE AND MOVE ME TO THAT LOCATION. AFTER THAT, I WOULD DICTATE THE KNOWLEDGE I STORE, SO THAT THEY MAY WRITE NEW BOOKS AND SCROLLS. A WONDROUS UNDERTAKING, THOUGH I ESTIMATE IT MIGHT TAKE A LIFETIME TO COMPLETE, ASSUMING THEY WERE HUMAN. A FRACTION IF THEY WERE GNOMES OR DWARVES, OF COURSE."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

"Of course. Well, If that's everything, friends? " Magnus looks to his allies. "I suggest we put this knowledge to good use. We have been quenched, Friend, Thank you."

As the group is leaving, Magnus turns back and says "I'll just be a minute "

DM ONLY:
He re-enters the circle in private. "Where is the nearest scholar or descendant of a scholar from this place?"
Magnus then hustles to catch up.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Magnus:
"I SHALL CONSULT... HEYWARD IRONHEAD, ABBOT OF THE WELL HOUSE, AND TEACHER OF THE THREE-FOLD PATH RESIDES IN THE WELL HOUSE NORTH OF THREE OAKS."


As Tarrana steps out she looks around. "Was someone talking just now? Like a disembodied head of all knowledge?"


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

"He's entitled to his secrets," Stilgar says, bemused by the gnome's brief departure.

"Speaking of which, it would be wise to keep this place a secret as well. I fear the Inquisition would gladly finish what time began."

When Magnus returns, the cleric would turn to him.

"I trust the ring will be safe in your hands?"


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

"I will guard it with my life. " Magnus retrieves the ring from the statue assuming no trouble doing that He places the ring back into the puzzlebox and then places that at the bottom of his bag.
What time of day is it? I think it would be wise to make camp here tonight and leave in the morning.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

It's late afternoon. Camping would mean being able to make your descent back down the hillside in daylight.

A casual perusal of the room reveals archways, possibly halls leading to more rooms. However, they are choked with rubble, possibly a result of whatever caused the damage to this room and started the water leakage.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

In that case, we could go. On the off chance of a storm, we don't want to leave the horses alone outside for too long.


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

Gaius smirks "Good idea. Having easy access to the head there would make finding those disloyal childs play. Imagine all those poor torturers out of work. The economy would crash in a fortnight."

He scans the sky from the cave mouth. "Best be gone. Smells like snow tonight."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Your group reassembles and begins their descent down the hillside. The sun is beginning to descend below the tops of the western mountains as you're about half way down. Then there is a flash of light, as if for a moment the sun had jumped back above the peaks, then something that sounds like a peal of thunder, though it is the wrong season for such storms, loud enough to feel in your chests. As the sound fades, another begins to grow, a rumble followed by a loud hiss. Looking up, you can see a swath of snow shaken loose from the hillside, descending with rapid speed towards your group!

Reflex saves all around, please.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

How steep is the cliffside? If it would be advantageous, Magnus will instruct everyone he can see to jump off, then cast featherfall.


1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

Looking up at the avalanche Tarrana frowns. "I suppose there are less theatrical ways to die."


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

Reflex. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

"Oh for the wings of a dove."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

It's a very steep slope, not a straight drop-off. Jumping would result in tumbling down the hillside rather than an actual fall.

Brodgar's Reflex Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

The wave of snow rushes down the hillside. The group scrambles to keep ahead of it, descending the last of the steep slope and hitting a less severe gradient. As you move to descend from there, the avalanche catches you, hitting the bottom of the slope and then spreading out as it cover the lower hillside. Magnus manages to duck behind an outcropping of rock at the last second, avoiding the impact, as does Stilgar. Brodgar, unable to conceive outrunning it, hunkers down and raises his shield, bracing for impact. Tarrana manages a spritely gait that moves her ahead of the impact,so she is merely pushed along, body-surfing on a decelerating wave of snow. Gaius cannot keep pace, and is mowed down from behind as Brodgar is knocked off his feet and disappears beneath the onslaught. The inquisitor and sorcerer are quickly lost under the advancing snow.

Gaius takes 8 hp of damage and is buried.


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

Mmmmm! Mmmm MMM!

Woah that was a lucky roll! 8 on 8d6.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey
Gaius Gracci wrote:

Mmmmm! Mmmm MMM!

Woah that was a lucky roll! 8 on 8d6.

Only 3d6. You had time to move into the slide zone rather than the bury zone. Now we'll see how quickly your party does search & rescue without a St. Bernard.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

St. Bernard? Would that Baalhound thing work? Hold tight Gaius, I'm gonna go level grind. Just keep making your Fortitude saves and you'll be dandy.

As the snow settles, Stilgar emerges from behind the rocks, still catching his breath. He looks to those that managed to get out of the way of the disastrous event with relief, but quickly realizes that everybody wasn't quite as fortunate.

"We need to get them out of there!" Stilgar says with an urgent but calm tone - now was not the time to panic.

With the hope that Gaius and Brodgar happened to be holding onto something magic, Stilgar will scan the area for auras with detect magic.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Magnus reaches quickly to the bottom of his pack and pulls out the finding sphere. He pauses for a moment while deciding which of his buried allies is in greatest need. He then shouts desperately at the sphere "GAIUS GRACCI"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

With Stilgar and Magnus leading the rescue effort, the group sets about trying to locate and dig out their lost companions.

The locator sphere leads Magnus quickly to a spot in the snow. Stilgar's spell, once he has concentrated enough to pick out all the auras in the area, leads him to the same spot. Still, the group is able to dig Gaius out in a short time, one that seems much longer to Gaius as he lies trapped beneath the snow awaiting rescue. 6hp of nonlethal damage to Gaius.

We'll go with Perception rolls to continue the search for Brodgar.


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

"Fu..Fu..Fu..Funny..sn..snow always lo..looks warmer from a..above.

Perception to find the flash frozen dwarf. 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Despite his extreme chill, Gaius hears a faint murmur coming from further down the slope, though he can't exactly pinpoint where.


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

Moving down slope and trying again.
Perception to find the flash frozen dwarf. 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29.

"I th.th..think I f.f.f.ffound him!"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Sure enough, once Gaius gets closer his ears pick up the sounds of shifting snow and a muffled cry for help. The others move up with him and begin scooping snow away to dig out the dwarf. Brodgar suffers 11hp of nonlethal damage. Stilgar pulls him to his feet, snow-covered, a bit blue around the edges, but alive.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

k(nature] How natural was that avalanche? Seems a bit too convenient. 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Magnus looks to his battered group. "Let's get out of here. "

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Magnus:
You heard a loud boom before it started. Loud noises in the right areas can cause such slides. However, the actual cause of the sound itself is a mystery. If it were an attack, one would think your adversaries would have followed up once you were occupied with saving your friends.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Sighing with relief, Stilgar nods.

"I believe we could all use a fire and good drink... some more than others."


Happy to have dug everyone out especially gaius she brings them close to her warmth in a hug and starts leading hem down the slope. "Into a tavern and by a fire then?"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Brodgar brushes the snow out of his beard, thanking the others for their timely rescue. You head down the remainder of the slope and finish the trek back to town, where you find a cheery fire awaiting you at the Flask & Flail.

I'll be back on later tonight to jump into the Midwinter Festival, a brief interlude before the next chapter. Feel free to roleplay or post any actions you'd like to take while back in the village.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Magnus will spend the interim finishing his catalogue of spells, and then using any remaining gold to create and sell more scrolls. Taking 10 gets me 20's for craft, if that's savvy
In the meantime, he comtemplates what has been revealed to him by the archive, and whether or not he should share this information with his compatriots. He decides that there is at least something he could share with them. "Friends, I have been quite moved by the events of this recent day. So much so that I have made it my personal duty to see the archive restored to its former glory. I have always strived to seek knowledge and truth of the highest order, and this is a way to do so. I believe that there may still be others, and I would like to ask your help in gathering them. Brodgar, Jinjer, would you two do me the kindness of finding a man named Heyward Ironhead, North of Three Oaks at the Wellhouse, he is the Abbot there. I would very much like to consult with him. I believe you two to be the best for this job because Brodgar will understand the trials of the clergy, and Jinjer will be able to guide the rest of you through the winter weather. "


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Fast forwarding from his consumption of mead and mutton...

During the times of the day when he is not too busy with tending to the chapel, Stilgar mulls over the notes given to him by Scour, not fully satisfied with how the investigation ended. The idea of a possible schism within the Order weighs heavily on his mind.

Aware that his powers have grown since they were last in Dunshale, on one such day he would borrow Baal's power and use it to mend the trusty warhammer he had kept at his side for several of his years. Immolating the rather expensive magical reagents he had bought in the jarl's fastness, the hammer would come out looking even better than when he had first attained it.

Casting Masterwork Transformation; 300 gp down the proverbial toilet.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Way to give our departing PCs a reason to exit, Magnus. Well played.

Jinjer and Brodgar take up the mission, and depart two days hence, after recuperating and stocking up on supplies. They say they'll return as soon as they are able with news about the abbot.

Interlude: The Midwinter Festival

The winter has proven as harsh as some predicted. Heavy snows blanket the valley and Dunshale is cloaked under a great layer of white. The productivity of the settlement is at a standstill, as folk make themselves comfortable in their homes and while away the hours and days as best they can.

This changes as midwinter approaches. Folk begin to work at shoveling snow, making paths that lead from house to house, and then cooperate on making larger lanes that lead to the village meeting hall. Here the Midwinter Festival will be held, marking the longest night of the year. Folk come together to celebrate, raise their spirits, and bolster themselves in order to ride out the rest of the season, as the nights grow steadily shorter and the promise of Spring comes ever closer. It is a time of levity despite the darkness, beer and wines that have been fermenting all year are poured, and gifts are exchanged.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

As the festival approaches, Magnus will gather up the children of the village and tell them the story of " The Boy Who Didn't Learn" He will use his magic to enhance the story with interactive visuals and sounds (ghost sound and silent image, and such) Finally, as the story draws to an end, Magnus will disappear and whisper in the children's ear "And that is why it is important to asks questions, and never stop. " vanish and message


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Taking a break from tending to the chapel, Stilgar could be found out front, joining the rest of the townsfolk in shoveling snow out of the way.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

If your character plans on partaking in the festivities, let me know. Magnus is obviously in the spirit of things, as is Stilgar.


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

Gaius stays apart from the festival. It is a festival for locals and family. Gaius is neither. He stays at the edge of things. Observing. Joining in only in the large group activities where he can be just another face in the crowd.


Tarrana goes where the wind blows her such as all fires are. With her friend Brodgar gone she has little real interest in the death of the Thane's son or even the political shenanigans the poor priest Stilgar finds himself entangled in. Gaius is a fleeting distraction that is exciting and terrifying in one tantalizing package.She has no desire to be blown away from the town yet while people have not thrown stones and priests haven't brought the torches.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The celebration is rather fluid, as many people flock to the meeting hall, while others move from home to home. A small group spends its time around a great bonfire on the village green. Music wells up from the hall, along with the joyous sounds of dancing feet and cheerful conversation. Barrels of drink are rolled to the hall from the Flask and Flail, and the smells of roasting and baking food hang in the air everywhere. The weather has seen fit to grant respite from foul weather, as the sky is clear.

Magnus and Stilgar:
The party is in full swing inside the meeting hall, with dancers whirling about while others stand along both sides of the building, chatting and drinking. The village Speaker, dressed in a fine winter robe of rust-colored brocade, trimmed in green and gold, moves about with an air of importance, nodding approvingly at the festivities. Seeing the two of you, he moves over and greets you. "A happy Midwinter. You've been absent from the village for some time. I hope nothing is wrong. There have been folk asking about you both."

Gaius and Tarrana:
The two of you stand near the roaring bonfire, Tarrana's gaze lost in its depths, as Gaius' eyes turn skyward, taken in by the vast bejeweled canopy of the heavens. Clouds cloak the mountains to the north, but they seem content to laze about the peaks rather than journey over the valley. Turning east, the young sorcerer muses over a bright star for a few moments, a strange nagging sensation intruding upon his reverie. Knowledge(nature) roll from Gaius, please.

As Tarrana stands listening to the fire laughing and rebuking the smoky spirits that twist about her, she notes an insistent tugging on her cloak that is most definitely not the wind. Turning, she sees the young girl she encountered outside the tavern. Her dark somber eyes gaze up at the oracle as she waits to be addressed.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

" I imagine so. I do hope that I have not been neglecting my duties here too severely. " Magnus turns to look at the youth at play here. He sips his apple cider. "Anyone specific? I haven't seen my master in a while, perhaps it is him asking? "


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

[b]"Nice night. Looks like you have a friend M'lady."[b]

kn. Nature, take 10 if i can for a 15 or if not 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


Tarrana slowly turns around and regards the child. Images of burning dwarves and laughing demons playing amongst the flames still dancing in her head.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Magnus & Stilgar:
"Oh, he's no doubt wondering where you'd gone, for certain," Speaker Chandler remarks. "However, I was speaking of the Thane's son, Grundar. He apparently found you quite entertaining and was hoping you'd attend the feast at the Jarl's stronghold."

"Other dwarves called after Brother Stilgar," he says with a cool smile. "His fellow clergymen, I believe. I'm afraid I had to tell them I'd no idea where you'd gone or when you would return..."

Gaius:
You come to the sudden realization that this star...is new.

Tarrana & Gaius:
The young girl stares back at the oracle for a sober moment, then digs in her pocket and produces something wrapped in cloth and tied with a bit of string, which she thrusts towards Tarrana with her mittened hand.


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

Gaius stares intently at the sky carefully shielding his eyes from the firelight.

Gaius mutters under his breath
"Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken"

Is it moving? Growing larger? Taking 10 or 20 if I can on a perception check if I can. Or a random check if I cannot,1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20.


Daintily. Carefully Tarrana tries to take the package only for the ground underneath the girls feet to jerk ever so slightly and knock it from her grasp and onto the ground. She then quietly picks it up off the ground and daintily unwraps it.

1,501 to 1,550 of 1,871 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Red Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.