Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Red Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


1,451 to 1,500 of 1,871 << first < prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | next > last >>
Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Gaius takes his time examining the entryway and then steps into the room, confident that nothing has been left behind to harm interlopers. As he moves forward, the forces of his spell fix react to something from the far end of the room. Now that he's moved further in, he can make out shapes, including one large, looming object against the far wall. The whole area seems to be circular and about eighty feet across. Stopping to focus on the magical emanations, he ascertains they are coming from one source, the great, shadowy shape across the room, which is looking like some sort of large boulder sitting against the wall.


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

Gaius pauses. "Don't walk past me. Something is here."

Focusing on det magic to see what it is. Spellcraft to ID 2-3 rounds later 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18. Might have got something.

"Magnus, send your lights towards that boulder in front of me. It is not what it seems."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Gaius:
After focusing, you know that the object is putting out an overwhelming aura of magic, impinging on your senses palpably, so much so you're unable to ascertain the exact auras emanating from it, though you're sure there are at least three.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

"Done" The lights whoosh forward, and spread out from each other to provide more light around the room. [ooc] Magnus will also cast light on a pebble and toss it forward to Gaius in case the lights' duration expires.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

As the lights sweep the room, you can see that the other shapes appear to be sagging and tumbled shelves, pigeonholed to hold scrolls or braced for books. Time and moisture have not been kind, what remains is a sodden, rotted mess. The piles nearer the entrance may have once been the same, but have suffered to the point of decaying into unrecognizable masses.

As the light washes over the large object, it is revealed to be a great stone carving of a humanoid head, standing half again as tall as a man, perhaps as wide as a man is tall. The features are severe: deep-set eyes, a long, aquiline nose, and wide, thick lips, and a prominent, square jaw. No hair has been carved for either face or scalp. The eyes glitter in the light.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Stilgar scowls at Tarrana's comment, though not entirely unamused by the truth that rings in her words.

As they approach the monolithic carving, a look of surprise passes over Stilgar's face. Heeding Gaius' warning, the cleric moves as closely as possible to the intact statue, trying to get a better look at its features.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Stilgar:
Perception: The eyes of the statue appear to be mosaics of deep blue stones, set into the granite.

Religion:You're fairly certain, despite the possibly Baalite door, that this is a pagan shrine. Mimir, the god of knowledge, is depicted as a disembodied head. The myths surrounding his decapitation are many. One says that in order to keep the secrets of fire and smithcraft to himself, Baal cut off Mimir's head and tossed it down the well behind his house, going out to speak secretly with him in the night in order to master the art of the forge. Others say he was born this way, merely a floating head that contained all that could be known.


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

"The head is magic, but more than that.....Take a look at it. I was never very good with stone."

Gaius drops the detect magic and moves forward slowly searching for traps/etc.

Perception vs. traps is +12

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Gaius:
Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25 You note some markings on the floor, partially obscured by murky water and debris. Carefully clearing away the obstruction, you note several concentric half-circles inscribed in the floor around the stone head, extending out to a radius of about 15 feet. Investigating further, you find an inlaid circle, about three feet across, set into the floor directly in front of the head, about six feet from the tip of its nose.

Gaius begins carefully searching, and quickly uncovers some markings on the floor, inscribed near the stone head. The rest of the group can't quite make them out from where they stand, but Gaius continues to expose them as best he can.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

"Fascinating... it is a shrine to Mimir, god of knowledge," Stilgar says, stroking his beard as he gazes at the statue, "Some legends say that Baal decapitated him and threw his head down a well, so that he could use the god's vast knowledge to expand his mastery of the forge..." Frowning at his recollection of this particular detail, he looks to the others. "A legend, of course. Others say that Mimir's always been like this."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Magnus ponders this thought. God of knowledge. Too tempting to resist. "Anyone know how to turn on the knowledge? " K(appropriate) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

EDIT1: "Because I have no clue..."


"Perhaps Baal merely misheard when Mimir told him all he had to do was ask him. It's sad that all this knowledge has fallen to dampness adn time. Though I have no delusions what would happen to it were anything unwanted in this pile."


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

"Do not get too close to old and stony here. There are markings all around him that set my teeth on edge. Not sure if they are graffiti or a summoning circle or death to intruders. It looks safe up to about 15 feet.

DM, do the markings look like summoning/binding circles? kn.Arcane 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21 or Spellcraft [dice]1d20+6.

Feel free to look at the spoiler. Those of you with detect magic or identify can also try for a better roll on spellcraft to id the auras.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

detect magic +spellcraft 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

There are no magical auras coming from the markings on the floor. The half circles might be indicators of ranges of certain effects of the idol, put their for the benefit of anyone wishing to enable its effects. Then there's the small circle in front of the idol, just large enough for a single person to stand in.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

"Well. One way to find out. Anyone else want to touch it? " Magnus steps to the centre circle, preparing to reach out and touch the idol's eyes. He sends Tuboo away to the outside... just in case. When everyone else has moved, he touches it.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

"This is an object of worship," Stilgar says, stepping away from the statue, "I somehow doubt that anything malicious would be incorporated into its design... with so little subtlety, for that matter. Though if you're eager to test that theory, I won't stop you."


Female Gnome Ranger/3

Jinjer tenses when Magnus steps into the circle and eases forward into the room a little further. She is fearful of the gods and this type of hidden, secretive magic.
"Who knows what you could unleash? Careful now!" she hisses.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Magnus steps into the small circle in front of the giant head. As he does, the eyes glow with an inner light. Magnus flinches visibly, his hands moving to his ears as if to block a loud sound. However, the rest of the group hears nothing.

Magnus:
A great, booming voice sounds from the head: "WHAT DO YOU SEEK FROM THE ARCHIVE?"


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

'Crazy Gnome."

Gaius awaits developments well away from the head. He is clearly nervous.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

voices in my head:
I seek to know the location of the Jarl Ironfist's murderer of five years ago. Where is the individual now?

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Magnus:
The voice isn't actually in your head. You can hear it quite clearly. However, the others don't even seem to notice it from where they're standing.

"I SHALL CONSULT... THERE IS NO JARL IRONFIST. THERE IS A THANE IRONFIST, BUT HE YET LIVES. THEREFORE THERE IS NO MURDERER AND YOUR QUESTION CANNOT BE ANSWERED."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

DM:
My mistake on the Jarl/Thane thing? But, he was dead for a time five years ago. Where is the person who caused his soul to separate from his body at that time?


"Did we just break our gnome?" Tarrana syas as they stare at the paralyzed gnome.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Those of you watching note that he appears to be speaking to the head, but while you can see his lips moving, there is no sound. Also, you hear nothing when it appears he is listening to a reply.

Magnus:
Actually, it was the Thane's son. "YES...WELL...YOU NEED TO LEARN TO BE MORE SPECIFIC ABOUT THIS SORT OF THING. ARE YOU NEW? WHAT SORT OF THINGS ARE THEY TEACHING YOU APPRENTICES THESE DAYS? I SHALL CONSULT... THE ONE YOU SEEK IS IN THE GREAT WOUND."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

dm:
I apologize for my lack of knowledge. It seems that the more one learns, the more one realizes they don't know. Thank you for this information. What is the identity of that same individual?

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Magnus:
"I SHALL CONSULT... I CANNOT REVEAL THAT INFORMATION. IT SEEMS THAT THE PERSON TO REMAIN UNNAMED IS IN THE GOOD GRACES OF THE LADY OF SHADOWS."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

dm:
I thank you for your help. I am sorry, I am unfamiliar with the procedure for ending this exchange. What is the protocol for leaving your circle? Also, k(any) regarding the lady of shadows and the great wound. 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 141d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Magnus:
"YOU DON'T KNOW...WHAT ARE THEY TEACHING ACOLYTES THESE DAYS? YOU ASK YOUR QUESTIONS AND WHEN YOU FINISH YOU SAY 'MY THIRST IS SATISFIED' AND I SAY 'BEAR KNOWLEDGE INTO THE WORLD' AND THEN YOU GO. REALLY, YOU SHOULD SEND THE HEAD ARCHIVIST TO ME. HE SHOULD BE PROPERLY CHASTISED FOR LETTING THE PROPER RITUALS GO BY THE WAYSIDE."

The Lady of Shadows sounds naggingly familiar, but you cant' place it. Perhaps a pagan goddess or demon? The Great Wound is a legendary geographical phenomenon, a huge rent in the earth a thousand miles long and so deep it's said to strike the Earth's molten heart.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

dm:
My thirst is satisfied.

Magnus steps away from the altar half dazed, and then nearly falls to the ground, holding his head. "Let's go, and no, I don't want to talk about it. "


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Stilgar moves to Magnus' side, helping him keep his footing as he staggers away from the statue. His expression is a mixture of concern and confusion.

"Rest easy, friend," he says, casting a wary glance at the statue, "But I'm afraid I must insist on asking just what happened."


Female Gnome Ranger/3

"Going works for me," Jinjer mutters turning to leave the room, once she sees Magnus is being helped out of there.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

"An old soul, forgotten by time. It saddens me to the core. To see such helplessness, such squandering of knowledge. " Magnus looks at Stilgar, tears in his eyes. "How can Baal allow this? "


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

"Squandering of knowledge...?" Stilgar says, wrinkling his brow in confusion. When he is sure that Magnus can stand on his own, he would release him, before turning his attention to the statue once more. "You don't mean to say that it..."

As his voice trails off, Stilgar would approach the head, careful to avoid the circle before it. Laying a hand upon its surface and forming gestures with the other, he would try his own hand at identifying its magics.

Cast Detect Magic.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

"I can tell you how it works, I think. Stand in the centre circle to speak to the voice. The outer circle probably show an area of silence for privacy. Ask him any question and he will answer. Finish by saying that you have been quenched. " Magnus blurts out these facts without emotion, but then turns to a bit of a sobbing mess. "This soul only exists through those that speak to it. It knows the answer to any question, but it is only aware of what is occuring with these circles at the same time. Is this the price that one must pay for ultimate knowledge? Have I been mislead this whole time? This entity has reached the goal I have strived for my life, but it is a pitiful soul indeed. "

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Stilgar:
The magical auras radiating off the stone head are overwhelming, almost palpable. You detect three distinct auras about the stone: divination, enchantment, and necromantic magics woven together into an impossibly strong device. Still, its exact nature eludes your comprehension.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

"Remarkable..." Stilgar says, enthralled by what he senses, though his face goes dark as the moment passes. Initially, it is unclear whether he has heard Magnus' explanation of the device's function. After a moment, he walks towards the circle, sliding his hand across the head before moving it away.

"Whatever this thing is... dark magics were definitely involved in its creation. Amidst its magical auras, I sensed necromancy," he says, pausing in hesitation at the edge of the circle, "But there are things I must know."

Contemplating his current dilemma, he then steps onto the circle.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Stilgar:
As you step into the circle, the eyes glow and a great, booming voice sounds from the head: "WHAT DO YOU SEEK FROM THE ARCHIVE?"


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

GM:

Stilgar hesitates once more, surprised by the voice. Regaining his composure, he speaks.

"An individual wearing red sent prisoners and exiles to kill me and my companions. Is the one responsible among the Order of the Flame, as they claimed?"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Stilgar:
"I SHALL CON-- WAIT. IT IS THE SAME DAY AS THE LAST ONE THAT CAME ASKING QUESTIONS. HONESTLY, WHAT ARE THEY TEACHING YOU APPRENTICES? THESE SORTS OF DIVINATIONS ARE LIMITED AND QUESTIONS SHOULD BE ASKED IN AS LARGE A GROUPING AS POSSIBLE IN ORDER TO CONSERVE USE OF MY HIGHER FUNCTIONS. GO AND FETCH THE GRAND ARCHIVIST IMMEDIATELY. HE SHOULD BE CHASTENED FOR NOT PROVIDING YOU WITH PROPER INSTRUCTION. IF APPRENTICES KEEP RUNNING IN HERE WILLY-NILLY ASKING QUESTIONS INDIVIDUALLY I WON'T BE ABLE TO ASSIST THE ELDER BROTHERS WHEN THEY COME TO ME WITH SOMETHING IMPORTANT. GO ON NOW, FETCH YOUR MASTER."


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

GM:

Stilgar frowns pensively before speaking once more.

"I fear much time has passed since you last met with an apprentice, for I am not one. This place was worn and beyond recognition when we arrived. Cannibals had made it their home. This 'Grand Archivist' you speak of may no longer be alive."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Stilgar:
There is a long pause before the deafening voice speaks again.

"I SEE. HAS IT BEEN SO LONG? I AM AFRAID THE PASSAGE OF TIME MEANS LITTLE WITHOUT INTERACTION WITH THE BROTHERS. WHEN NOT IN USE I...SLEEP, FOR LACK OF A BETTER TERM. SO THE GRAND ARCHIVE IS NO MORE? A PITY. STILL, IT WAS THAT POSSIBILITY THAT SPURRED MY CREATION. ALL THAT WAS HELD HERE IS ALSO CONTAINED IN ME. I AM NOW THE GRAND ARCHIVE OF MIMIR IN BOTH BODY AND NAME." You'd expect the thing to be swelling with pride, were it not made of unmoving stone. After a pause, it booms out again.

"WELL, SINCE YOU WISH TO MAKE USE OF ME, YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW IT IS I FUNCTION. YOU'VE ALREADY FIGURED OUT THE ACTIVATION CIRCLE. IF YOU HAVE COMPANIONS THAT YOU WISH TO CONSULT AND SHARE INFORMATION WITH, BRING THEM INTO THE RING AROUND ME. YOUR QUESTION WILL REQUIRE COMMUNION, AS THE ANSWER TO IT IS NOT LOCATED IN THE ARCHIVE OF INFORMATION I HOLD. IF YOU HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS, ASK THEM AS WELL. I CAN ONLY SEEK SUCH INFORMATION ON A LIMITED BASIS. ONE SUCH COMMUNION HAS ALREADY BEEN WASTED ON A SINGLE QUESTION. THE NEXT SHOULD BE UTILIZED AS MUCH AS YOU'RE ABLE."

The group notes that Stilgar, like Magnus, seems to be having an unheard conversation with the head. His lips move, but no sound emerges. Like Magnus, he seems to be wincing slightly whenever listening to responses.


"Oh Magnus have you learned nothing? Their is no such ultimate knowledge only a pointless, endless journey that ends into emptiness of the soul. Besides you said the being has no knowledge of what goes on outside the circle. By that definition would you not say that is in fact not ultimate knowledge?


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

GM:

Would Stilgar be capable of beckoning the others into the circle? If he can, he will do so.

"I will call them here then. I believe it is time that they all hear you speak, Grand Archive."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Stilgar:
They can see you quite clearly, so beckoning them would be done easily enough.

Stilgar turns to the rest of the group while staying in the circle. He gestures at you all to come forward, indicating with his hands that he wants you to step into the semi-circle surrounding the head.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Before stepping in, he says to Tarrana "You'll see what I mean. "


Female Gnome Ranger/3

Jinjer hesitates...not wanting any part of this...sorcery or whatever it is. She checks with Magnus before doing anything...and once he assures her, she takes his hand and steps into the semi-circle...

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Magnus and Jinjer step into the area marked around the head. Anyone else?


Tarrana gingerly steps into the trap.


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

Gaius strides forward.
"Anything if it gets us above ground faster."

1,451 to 1,500 of 1,871 << first < prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Red Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.