Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Red Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


1,301 to 1,350 of 1,871 << first < prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | next > last >>

"I fear it may be the better deed to give him his wish." Tarrana says. "If the curse is true then he'll be back on us or suffer horrible consequences. If it's not he'll suffer horrible consequences by another's hand anyway."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

" This is not a matter of good or bad, this is a matter of truth. " Turning to the dwarf once more. "Now you are going to tell me EVERYTHING you know, or I will ensure you are left to burn in pain. "

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Stilgar & Tarrana:
What he's describing sounds like a geas, though the more powerful form seems like a waste to use on a band of convicts. There is a lesser form of the spell that, while causing extreme discomfort and sickness, would be unlikely to kill the recipient. Rather, he'd be terribly put out until he once again set himself to the task he was given.

At Magnus' request, the dwarf tells his tale. Two days ago, he was working as a day laborer on a ranch, building walls around a pasture. He was visited by a dwarf wearing the red robes and mask of the Inquisition. This priest knew him by name, and knew that he supplemented his income with banditry when times were lean. He offered a reprieve from exile if he joined with the group of ne'er-do-wells with one simple task: make sure that the two dwarves in your group did not make it back to Dunshale alive. He did not say why, nor did the dwarf think to ask. The priest's offer seemed very convincing at the time and he never did second-guess it or think it may have been a lie. In order to receive his reward, the priest said he needed to be bound to the task by magic, as was the rest of the group in question. The tall human suggested that the ambush be laid here, with the gnome using his magic to make it sound like someone had fallen down the well as a ruse to draw you in.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Stilgar steps towards the dwarf, intent on protecting him from being skewered by his gnome ally.
"It's a lesser geas. What comes will not be pleasant, but it almost certainly won't kill him. If I'm not wrong, it should wear off eventually. We should take him to the proper authorities. Let the curse run its course and then let the law have its way with him. There is no need to spill any more blood here."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Magnus hears out the end of this story and contemplates. He then takes out his club and knocks out the dwarf with a swift blow to the back of the head. "Thank you, you have been most informative."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The dwarf takes the club to the back of the head and hits the snow with a grunt.


Female Gnome Ranger/3

Jinjer grunts too as she shoves her knife...back in its sheath. "He's a bandit and a would-be murderer, and would gladly take everything we had while we lay about dying!"
She kicks snow on the unconscious dwarf, grunting again in frustration and anger, turning to look one final time in the direction of the fleeing human. "Long Jon will be back, so we'd better get moving and sleep lightly when we camp."


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Stilgar sighs in relief, relieved that Jinjer decided to relent.
"Agreed. Now would be a good time to tend to our wounds, but I am no so keen as to do the same for them," he says, glancing at the dwarf's fallen allies.

With the dwarf unconscious, Stilgar takes the opportunity to peruse his and the other prisoners and exiles' belongings for any useful items or further clues.

And I suppose now would be a good time to heal up as well. If I remember correctly, Jinjer took quite the beating back there.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Probably so. You'll be taking your prisoner into Dunshale with you then?

Your find the following on your opponents:

  • 250gp, each one carries a pouch of 50 coins.
  • a sling and 7 bullets
  • 3 daggers
  • 2 flasks of acid
  • 1 flask of alchemist's fire
  • 1 small suit of leather armor
  • 3 medium suits of leather armor
  • a warhammer
  • a battle axe
  • 2 throwing axes
  • 2 throwing knives (statted as daggers, and gains a +1 bonus on ranged attack rolls, but a -1 on melee attacks, as the grips are not designed for hand-to-hand)
  • 2 light hammers
  • food equivalent to 2 days rations for each party member
  • 2 small suits of winter clothing
  • 3 medium suits of winter clothing


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Yeah, he'll be coming with us. The gold and alchemical items seem like they would be handy, but I'll wait and see if anyone wants anything else.

Stilgar proceeds to heal Brodgar and Jinjer, noting that they were injured most during the battle.

Brodgar:
CLW: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
CLW: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Jinjer:
CLW: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

That would be just about everything I have right there.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

I agree with Stilgar, the alchemical items and gold can be kept, but I think the rest can be sold once we arrive in town.


Female Gnome Ranger/3
Stilgar Fulgrum wrote:


Jinjer:
CLW: 1d8+2

Jinjer stretches and sighs in relief, saying, "Thank you...my friend."

She then looks through the items from the dead, sniffs at the commonplace things, and says, "The coin is good > looking forward to a hot bath and meal in Dunshale."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The group moves on, with your prisoner in tow, around the bend as it wraps the base of the hill into which the Jarl's stronghold is built, then over the bridge across the Shale river and into the village.

Your first stop is at the Constable's office, where you find Deputy Landon on duty. He gives a smile and greeting to Jinjer when he sees her, with his usual lazy manner. When presented with the prisoner, he gets a bit more business-like, listening to the report of the attack and locking the dwarf into the one cell in the building. Landon says he'll pass on the report to the Constable when he comes back in.

Heading over to the Flask and Flail, the smells of hot food beckon you in. A roaring fire warms the place and good cheer seems the order of the day, as you've arrived back on the eve of the Midwinter Festival. The common room is strung with holly and folk banter merrily over bowls of mutton stew.

Selling the other equipment nets you another 57gp, 3sp, and 5cp.


Tarrana having been silent the entire trip elects to warm herself by the fire staring at it intently.


half elf, Water child alt race trait Legalistic cursed Oracle of Waves 2

Oops missed the boat here. Was going to snag the throwing knives and the sling bullets. I was running a tad low. Same cost as daggers for the knives? When I buy them back? Oh and cash shares are 61g 4s 7c each including the sold items. Who is carrying the acid and fire?

At the jail: "You may want to have somone take a look at this one. He claims there is a magical binding on him that will kill him if he does not kill us. There is something on him but exactly what, I don't know."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

I have one each of these right now, so I am not in particular need. Also, I'm not sure that I'm a prime candidate for team pack-mule... On the topic, we should pool money for a pack-mule. haha

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Gaius, if you keep the throwing knives and the bullets, just subtract 2gp, 3sp, 5cp off your share.

Landon gives a skeptical glance at the dwarf in the cell. "Some wizard forced him to waylay folk on the road, eh? I've never heard that one before. Still, if you think there's something to it, I can send for the Seer and have him look in on the feller."


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

I'll go ahead and add the alchemist's fire to the two I already have. Never did get around to using them. I'll take the acid as well if nobody else wants it.

Relieved to be back in town, Stilgar would order a helping of stew and ale. He makes sure to keep an eye out for Chandler, suspecting that he might desire an explanation for his leave of absence.


Female Gnome Ranger/3

"I'm so hungry, I could eat a mule!" Jinjer exclaims, breathing deeply of the smells in the Flask and Flail. "But I'll have a bowl of whatever is in the pot with some fresh bread and an ale please!" she says to any server that's close enough to hear.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Speaker Chandler does not make an appearance at the inn. The group is able to eat and drink their fill with more ease than they've had since leaving town. Aside from a few regulars here to wet their whistles, most of the folk are busy preparing for the Midwinter Festival. While in Dunshale it tends to be an event centered around individual homes, with folk going to visit and drop off gifts before celebrating indoors with their families, in recent times Speaker Chandler has taken to opening his rather expansive home to the villagers to use as a gathering place for feasting and dancing.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Edit to the above: your group did not arrive home on Midwinter's Eve. You'll have downtime of a couple months until then.

Your party is able to rest without disturbance, after a hot meal and good drink to wash it down. Whether staying at the inn, at residence in town, or taking up floorspace in Stilgar's chapel, your group passes the night uneventfully.

The following morning everyone is breaking fast at the Flask and Flail, with the exception of Stilgar, who is tidying up the chapel with the assistance of Tarrana. The place did not see much use during your absence and a good dusting is in order. As Tarrana is in a side room pulling new cloths for Stilgar to dress the altar with, the door creaks open, and the candles flutter with the winter breeze that intrudes.

Tarrana:
The smoky spirits about you exude excitement. You know what makes them gleeful cannot be good for you.

Stilgar sees a red-robed figure move in and push the heavy wooden door shut behind it with an echoing bang. The visitor then makes his way down the center aisle between the pews, face masked by an Inquisition hood.


Tarrana chokes back alarm as she shuts the chest and looks for a way out of the church without entering the main congregation.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Stilgar has living quarters in the back of the chapel that can be reached through the vestry. A back door leads out to the yard behind.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

The inquisitor's sudden arrival prompts Stilgar to glance in Tarrana's direction worriedly. Steeling himself for what was to come, Stilgar approaches the robed visitor.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Stilgar is relieved to note that Tarrana has made herself scarce.

"You've returned," the masked figure says, stating the obvious. You believe you recognize the voice as the same dwarf that first tasked you with your mission.

"Have you been successful in your efforts?"


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Magnus, if left uninterrupted, will spend the next few days working the market and cataloguing his spellbook into scrolls.
Scroll of: identify, 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18


Female Gnome Ranger/3

Assuming she is not called upon, Jinjer spends the next several days to herself - eating, sleeping, foraging in the woods nearby, and spending the evenings with a glass of cold ale and a hot bath. She will restock her supplies, using the coin she found on the journey. And after awhile, she'll go looking for Magnus and Tarrana.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

"To a fault. The exact identity of the culprit eluded me, but all that are suspect have evidently fled to the South together, to the lands that the elves inhabit."

Stilgar pauses, admittedly unsure of how to elaborate, given the volume of information the Hand provided.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

"South, to the elven forests, you say? Hmm..." The priest considers this a moment.

"You say you have not found the murderer's exact identity. That implies you have a list of suspects, yes? Please elaborate."


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

"They are the very same individuals that hunted the nocturne five years ago. Asheron, a human Baalite priest; Dimble Daergal, a gnome bard; and a human woman, Aidan Hakar. The son of the Eventides, Shade, is likely among them as well."

Stilgar pauses a moment before continuing.

"The agent from the Hand of Jorin, Damaris, is left unaccounted for. However, he disappeared after the murder, along with the others. He might very well be among them as well."


Tarrana will make her way to the inn and walk in on the others lunch panic is set in her face even as she speaks with relative calm.

"Good morning, if any of you had plans to elave town ona permanent basis now it would behoove you to leave while the winds are favorable, the spirits calm, and the inquisition busy putting the irons to poor Stilgar."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Magnus puts down his crafting tools for as he looks at Tarrana. Without skipping a beat, he rises and moves to the doorway. He clicks at Tuboo

weasel:
Pack this up into my bag, I'll be back.
"Where is he? "

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The red-robed priest stands silent for several moments. Any physical reaction he might have to this news--from smile to scowl--is hidden beneath the mask. Finally, he speaks:

"You have done well, Stilgar. This information will prove valuable to us, and you have brought more than we asked." He steps back to the chapel doors and raps a mailed fist against a portal. They swing open again, and two armored dwarves move in, bearing a chest between them, which they carry down the aisle and set at Stilgar's feet, before returning outside, presumably to stand guard at the door where they've been the whole time.

"A fitting reward for your service. Pay your men out of it as you see fit. I return to our brethren with this information and see where it leads us. I may call on you in the future. You have proven resourceful. Continue to serve Baal in this manner and you may well be able to leave this parish and enter service more suited for one of your ability. Farewell, Stilgar. Oh, and a final gift," he says, producing a leather satchel and leaving it to hang from the side of a nearby pew. "A bonus for bringing us the name of a rebel agent. We shall pursue any leads this Damaris will bring us."

With a swirl of crimson robes, the priest makes to leave.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Stilgar is taken aback by the arrival of the fruits of his group's endeavors, having never given any real thought to what their payment might be. For a moment he is silent, but as the inquisitor sets out to leave, he speaks up once more.

"There is one last matter I should speak to you of," he begins, his voice firm. He decides not to speak with an accusatory tone, given his situation.

"On our way here, my men and I were attacked by what seemed to be ordinary bandits. Upon dispatching them however, we learned that they were acting whilst under the influence of geas spells. One claimed that they were bestowed them by an individual wearing the red of the Inquisition, with the orders to kill me. A mere lie perhaps, but it seems clear that someone intended to thwart my mission."

Having spoken his piece, Stilgar watches, knowing full well that he wouldn't be able to judge the inquisitor's reaction.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The priest pauses at the door as you call to him, only looking over his shoulder as you address him. However, as your tale unfolds, he turns back to face you. As you finish, he strides down the aisle to stand before you, within arm's reach.

"You're certain of this? You took prisoners that confirmed this tale for you? Where are they now?" His voice holds an edge of urgency.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

"Only two survived the battle. The human escaped, but we took a dwarven exile into custody. We left him at the Constable's office upon our return."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The priest stands silent, eyes fixed on the floor between you. You can almost hear the thoughts whizzing in his head. When he raises his masked face to you again, he's standing close enough for you to see his eyes, gray the color of flint.

"Speak to no one else about this matter," he says. "If any other wearing the colors of the Inquisition approaches you, inform me immediately and tell me everything that is said, every word. I will have men posted at the gate to the Jarl's stronghold. Address any messages for me to 'Scour.' When you are passing a message, ask the guard for a callsign. If he responds with anything other than 'tending embers,' carry the message on yourself and deliver it in person. I will go fetch your prisoner and see what else he has to say."

With that, he turns to leave again. As he swings open the doors he gives orders to the two guards to lead him to the Constable's office.

The chest contains 30,000sp. The satchel holds six vials, potions of cure moderate wounds. Everyone can go ahead and level their character to 3rd.


Magnus Thunderf00t wrote:
Magnus puts down his crafting tools for as he looks at Tarrana. Without skipping a beat, he rises and moves to the doorway. He clicks at Tuboo ** spoiler omitted ** "Where is he? "

"In the chapel. Though I would suggest not trying to save him. Stilgar might benefit from a bit of ironing. May smooth out his wrinkles...er...what was I saying?"


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Magnus grabs the finding sphere and his spell component pouch from his bag, then grabs the hand of Tarrana as he leads her toward the chapel. "Walk and talk, friend. What happened? "


Female Gnome Ranger/3

If Jinjer is present to hear this exchange, she will follow Magnus and Tarrana...


"Talk. No walk." Tarrana says gravely. "Nothing on any earth heavan or hell is going to convince me to walk tino a chapel with...one of them" Tarrana's voice is filled with genuine fear as hers eyes glance about at invisible demons all around her.


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

" Alright, you stay here, pack up and get us ready to move out. While you're at it..." Magnus clicks for Tuboo to join him now, and then casts a message spell, pointing at the present members of the group. "you talk, and we will hear from wherever we are. " Magnus looks at the group and gestures. "Let's move out. the longer we wait, the bigger risk we put our friends in. "


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Troubled by the inquisitor's final words, Stilgar quietly sets about dividing the treasure into six equal shares, whilst contemplating his unknown enemy.

If I'm not wrong, it would be 500 gp's worth of sp for each of us, as well as a pot.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Magnus makes note of a red-robed and hooded dwarf making his way along toward the village from the direction of the chapel, flanked by two armored dwarves. The priest seems in a bit of a hurry and passes Magnus without so much as a glance, his escort hustling to keep up.

You find Stilgar alive and well sitting with a ridiculously large pile of coin...


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Magnus wipes the the sweat from his brow. "What happened? "


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Stilgar initially says nothing as he sifts through the silver, deep in thought. A moment passes before he acknowledges Magnus, though he does so without a glance.

"I passed on what we learned and was paid accordingly," he says as he tosses a coin into a pile. With that, he finally looks to the gnome, letting out a sigh. "Did you by chance see Tarrana? I suspect she fled when the inquisitor arrived."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

"Yes I saw her right about the same you gave away every lead that we have to someone who could be at the centre of everything. " Magnus' temper flares. "Do you realize what risks you put us all in? ...but..." Magnus' more gnomish tendencies come through. "Is that silver? "


Male Dwarf Cleric of Baal 4

Stilgar nods solemnly, unfazed by Magnus' brief outburst.
"Thirty thousand pieces. The inquisitor was not pleased when I told him of our would-be assassins. His reaction would suggest that the Inquisition was not truly responsible, but..."
The cleric frowns and shakes his head, rubbing his temples between two hands.
"I just don't know."


Male Gnome Wizard (scryer sub-school) 4

Magnus, eyes fixated on the silver before him, speaks absent-mindedly. "Well then, let's find out once and for all, shall we? Do you know where they went, or who they are? " Magnus pulls out the finding sphere and holds it out, looking almost as though he wants to trade it in for the silver.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Tarrana: You watch Magnus and Jinjer as they go off to see after Stilgar, and then turn back to the entrance of the tavern. Standing under the eaves, leaning against the weathered wood, is a young girl. She's seen perhaps ten summers pass. She watches you with large, dark eyes. You are about to move past her back into the warmth of the common room when you realize that she sees you. Not just a hooded, bundled form, but you. She bites her lower lip a moment, then speaks.

"You're not going to eat me, are you?"

1,301 to 1,350 of 1,871 << first < prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Red Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.