Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


1,751 to 1,800 of 1,903 << first < prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | next > last >>

"Very well. Let us see what the dwarven camp looks like, then we shall create a plan to deal with it."


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Liam's eyes light up as he imagines the glorious disruption this small group could cause to the dwarven outpost...


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"A time like this, we could probably use those masks from High Harvest.... If we can avoid killing anyone, I'd prefer to handle it that way. No need to give 'em any more reason to hunt after us."
Any word from Gendo or Kalaya?

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

No word from our wayward folks yet. However, Mark Thomas (Kalaya) lives in NYC, so I'm guessing it might be hard to post without power. We'll move ahead and assume they'll join us when they can. I'll make any rolls and actions required of the characters until their players return.

Io leads you through backroads and goat trails to the scout outpost. The journey takes about two and a half hours, twice as long as if you had used the main pass. However, this puts you on a ridge overlooking the outpost with a bird's eye view.

The outpost itself is a single stone building with an attached stable. Smoke rises from a chimney atop the building. Built on a rise, it has an excellent view of the pass below. On the side of the building where the stable is located, a fence closes off a square of land. In it, you can see about six shaggy ponies, clustered in a corner furthest from the building. There is a winding track that leads down to the building's level, doubling back on itself as it descends the ridge. However, since the outpost has its back to the mountainside, there are no windows facing your approach, so you should be able to descend without being seen by any occupants. A few minutes of observation reveals no activity outside the building.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Liam surveys the outpost with narrowed eyes, before turning to his companions. "Looks easy enough. We've the advantage of approaching their blind side. What d'ye reckon? Quick an' sneaky-like, or burst in and defeat them with surprise? Either way, I'd be happy to watch for longer, see when they move, patrol, change shifts an' the like."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

*bump*


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric rubs his chin.
"Let's not chance it too much- seems to me that the longer we stay here, the more likely it is that a guard's going to step outside and look our way for some reason. Let's try to sneak down there. Jon can try and keep the horses calm and we'll keep Kalaya up here as look out and ranged support. If we open the fence and snag two horses for the griffons, letting the others out to wander, we may be able to delay any pursuit while they go round up the others."

Assuming everyone agrees, Auric starts making his way down the trail as quietly as he can manage.

Stealth: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (15) - 2 = 13


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

::Prods with stick.::


Oy! Stop that! I have a bruise there, y'know...

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Sorry. Been a bit wonky lately. All right then, get on with it...

Auric picks his way carefully down the slope, managing not to send any rocks tumbling down toward the outpost. Who's next?


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

I think I'm going to the gate too?

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Liam's light step is completely unnoticed over the tromp of Auric's tread as he nimbly follows the paladin down.

Jon? Give me a Knowledge(nature) or a Handle Animal in addition to your Stealth roll.


Know Nature: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
Stealth: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Jon is likewise able to quietly creep down the slope, joining Auric and Liam at the bottom near the back of the corral. Glancing up, you see Kalaya above give an encouraging all-clear signal.

Jon:
You are close enough now to note the tight packing of the ponies, their bodies straining up against the corral fence. You can see the wild white of rolling eyes and realize that something has these animals panicked. It is definitely not the presence of you or your companions.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Liam moves to the gate, with one eye on the building and the other on Auric, watching for any signals.


"Ware! The ponies are spooked by something, and it is not us!"


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric pauses with his hand on the gate, looking to and fro while focusing his Baal-granted supernatural insight to detect auras.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Activating detect evil, focusing on the fort.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Auric:
You see nothing out of the ordinary, but from the front of the outpost building you can hear a creaking sound, like hinges, as if the door were open and moving in the wind (there is a fair breeze blowing through here). As you focus on the building, an all-too familiar sensation creeps up on you, the hair rising on the back of your neck, and a greasy pall seems to waft from an open window. Round 1: Definite presence of evil detected.

Jon: The ponies would certainly bolt if they could. Chances are if someone opened the corral gate at this point, you'd lose them all.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric furrows his brow.
"Something's definitely wrong here... I doubt the dwarves are still around.", he whispers,"Unless they're walking corpses. Keep your weapons to hand; we should look inside."

Leaving the gate, Auric draws his sword and creeps around to the outpost's front.
Stealth: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (11) - 2 = 9


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage
Shadowborn wrote:

No word from our wayward folks yet. However, Mark Thomas (Kalaya) lives in NYC, so I'm guessing it might be hard to post without power. We'll move ahead and assume they'll join us when they can. I'll make any rolls and actions required of the characters until their players return.

Yeah it's been pretty insane last few weeks. Just slowly beginning to return to normal, on top of which the feed didn't update. Will post later today.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Hmmm, post didn't post...

Liam nods to Auric and joins him, freeing a net from his belt.


"Do not open the pony's corral or we shall lose them all!" Jon works to move around and see what spooks the ponies so.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Auric, Liam, and Jon, moving around the corral towards the front of the outpost building, note that the door is ajar, and rocking slightly in the wind, creaking on its hinges. A very obvious trail leads up the pass and in through the open door. Bloody bootprints and trails of blood, as if from a heavily wounded person, or one carrying the wounded, disappear into the outpost. The scent of blood may be what is spooking the animals, though Auric is not so sure.

Auric:
Your senses center on the emanations of foulness within the building, something nauseating...and somehow horrifyingly familiar. Round 2: 1 aura of moderate evil, just at the edge of you range, indicating somewhere near the back of the building.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric frowns deeply.
"It's near the back and it's foul.",he whispers. "Jon, can you tell us anything else about those tracks? Something about this thing feels... familiar."


Jon kneels down to examine the tracks...

Survival: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Jon:
The tracks appear be those of a heavily armored dwarf. The dwarf, or whoever the dwarf is carrying, is likely dead, as the amount of blood being lost looks to be lethal.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Whisperwing silently lifts from Kalaya's shoulder, flying a circle above the pen.

Perception1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Kalaya:
Whisperwing notes no other movement other than the frightened knot of ponies huddled at the furthest edge from the building. The trail of blood is visible to the owl from the air, and can be seen to run from some brush down the trail up to the doorway.


"They seem to be from a dwarf, probably dead now, as it's lost a lot of blood. We must be wary."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Dead most certainly... probably Undead as well. I have a feeling we're going to get reacquainted with our old pal Thrallhammer...", Auric muses before stepping into the outpost with his shield held high.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Liam murmurs a few arcane words and passes his hand over his eyes with a strange flourish as he moves into the outpost behind Auric, net held in the other hand.

Casting detect magic.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Auric pushes the door open and steps in, the other two men close behind, while Kalaya waits anxiously at the top of the slope. The room is still warm from the crackling fire, despite the open door. The metallic reek of blood is strong. The bodies of three leather-clad dwarves lie upon the floor, sporting fatal slashes and punctures. Beyond them, a fourth figure stands, dwarven waraxe gripped in gauntleted fists. Auric recognizes the familiar dwarven plate and helm adorned with wicked spikes. However, the armor sports several holes, each leaking a trail of crimson fluid. In fact, every gap in the armor bleeds, from the slitted visor to the fittings of each plate and joint, collecting in a spreading pool at the figures booted feet. At the paladin's entrance, the figure shifts its stance, its grip tightening on the axe haft. A sound, half growl, half gurgle, comes from the helm.

Initiative Order:
21 Auric
11 Kalaya
8 Morgrim
5 Liam
4 Jon

Dice Rolls:
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 51d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 211d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 41d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 101d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Liam manoeuvres to an advantageous position in order to cast his net over the gruesome dwarf-thing, while cajoling his allies on to victory.

I'm a little way down the list, but all I want to do is start Bardic Performance (inspire courage) and move to a spot where I'm 10' from our enemy (a clear shot would be best - as would no AoO against me).


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric steels himself for the assault, a twinge of horror and guilt twisting his stomach.
If he had listened to reason this wouldn't have happened... if we hadn't dropped out the bridge, this wouldn't have happened...

Banishing guilt, remorse, horror and fear from his heart, the paladin steps forward, his sword catching the light of the fire so it seems for a brief moment to blaze.
"Baal, grant me your strength in destroying this blight upon the land of your peoples!"

Activating Smite Evil vs. Morgrim: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 111d8 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 6 + 3 = 10
Assuming he's undead, the first smite evil attack has smite damage doubled. AC is 18.

Auric also tries to remember anything about a blood-leaking undead he can remember.
Knowledge-Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Round 1

Since Kalaya's action happens outside and away from the combat area, I'll take it when posted and add it into the mix, moving through the rest of the actions as they come.

Auric moves in, swinging his blade at the bleeding monstrosity only to have it turned by the armor. The creature that was once Morgrim Thrallhammer laughs--a wet, gurgling sound--and then speaks.

"I remember you..." The voice suddenly turns into a roar as it throws its arms wide and blood begins to spray from the holes in the armor, slicking everything in the room with a horrific fountain of crimson. Auric, Jon, and Liam are soaked in blood.

Liam: As you inspire courage in your allies and begin to position yourself for a clear shot with the net, you find the blood has made footing here rather treacherous. Reflex save, please. If you succeed, then make an Acrobatics check.

Kalaya, Jon, post when you're ready.


"By the Green! We cannot allow that monster to walk away!" Jon's fists grow wooden and thorny as he allows the power of the Green to flow through him to extinguish this monster!

Moving forward to attack. Reflex, if needed: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Jon, with the successful Reflex save to remain standing, I'll also need an Acrobatics check.


Acrobatics: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Jon is able to move into position, but finds the footing on the blood-slicked floor treacherous. For future reference, any time you start your round in the blood slick (which for all intents and purposes is anywhere in the room) you'll need to make a Reflex save to avoid falling prone. An Acrobatics check of DC 10 will allow you to move at half speed. Failure by 5 or more means you fall prone. Failures by less than 5 simply mean you don't move that round.

Jon's thorny fist slams into the armor with a loud clang, but does no noticeable damage.

Oh, and Auric is clueless as to what type of undead this might be, but thanks Baal that they're too uncommon for him to recollect any specific details.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Reflex Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Liam has a moment where his feet are nearly running in place, desperately trying to find traction as he fumbles for balance, then finally sliding into one of the nearby bunks, where he steadies himself and moves to position.

Note that the blood spray is a full round action, while the party is moving and attacking, blood continues to fountain out of the figure all across the room and the party.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Kalaya startes racing down the slopw as quickly as she can building speed to leap out into the air, hoping to cleay the slope th launch herself down, a whispered word rendering her body almost weightless.
Acrobatics1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Featherfall after jumping

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Kalaya hurls herself into open air, stumbling a bit on her jump so that she's uncertain if she'll clear the slope. However, in her current feather-like state she finds that the wind is more than enough to carry her clear. In fact, she gets blown right over the corral and has to grab one of the fenceposts to keep from being carried further. When her feet touch ground and the spell ends, she's twenty feet from the open door of the building and can clearly see the blood trail and hear the sounds of her allies in combat.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Assuming I'm in prime position for throwing my net...

Liam hurls his net at the horrific undead creature.

Net: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Hearing the sounds of battle, Kalaya breaks into a run reaching out to Whisperwing with her mind as she does, to obtain a grasp of what to expect.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Round 2 action, Auric?


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric continues to attack the undead Thrallhammer.
Reflex save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

MWK Longsword w/smite evil: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 141d8 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 6 + 3 = 13


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Oops forgot reflex save...

Reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Round 2

Auric hammers another blow into the bloody thing, his sword ringing as the blow is stymied by the numerous spikes adorning the mail.

Kalaya moves into the doorway, her mind already filled with images of the bloody business inside.

Kalaya can take a standard action at this point. Then I'll run down the round to Jon's turn.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

As she rushes through the doorway, Kalaya's outstretched hand glows with a flickering violet flame, immediataly echoed by the flickering tongues of violet fire that dance across the unders monster, making it seem at once more unnaturaland more real

Faerie fire. Eliminates any concealment bonuses

1,751 to 1,800 of 1,903 << first < prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.