Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


1,701 to 1,750 of 1,903 << first < prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | next > last >>

Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

"Than I guess we have our work cut out for us."

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

What's the plan? Let me know what you want to do and we'll expedite this little hunting trip/diplomatic mission/whatever it turns out to be.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Unless I am mistaken, it looks like we are going to try and talk them into leaving or drive them off.

Let's be about it then. Since the Griffons view the Akaara as competing predators, then we drive them off. To do this, we get a preferred feast for the Griffons and while they're going for the feast, we can fire the cave. My voice comes across with certainty as though a choice has been made.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

That doesn't sound like Gendo's sticking with the whole "live in harmony" idea. Are we abandoning diplomacy then?


I think we try diplomacy first, then drive them off if it fails.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29
Jon Commoner wrote:
I think we try diplomacy first, then drive them off if it fails.

+1 to that.

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The akaara will guide you to the griffon's lair, which lies in a narrow valley about six miles from the hunting camp. They say that the nest is high, but that you wingless folk could climb to it with a minimal amount of trouble, as they've seen goat tracks that move up that slope.

Since the original bargain was to deal with one griffon, not two, they will be sending Io, one of their best hunters, with you. She will stay out of sight while you deal with them, but if it comes to a fight, she'll aid you.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

I will strike up a conversation with Io as we travel, just generally trying to be friendly, looking to swap stories ifnshe's interested, and of course very gently fishing for any word of dwarven activity in the region.

Diplomacy check if required:
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Io is polite, if not overly talkative. She listens to your tales with interest. On the subject of the dwarves, she and other akaara have seen patrols taking wagons of equipment up into the hills, apparently in preparation for the reoccupation of several border forts they established in the past, but pulled back from prior to the winter.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric will take the front with his shield strapped to his arm, but no weapons drawn.
"What would you say is best on this approach- Io, Jon? Should I make a little noise as we head up there, make sure they know we're not sneaking up on them if we want to talk?"


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

I would ask Io whether the dwarves simply abandoned the forts to the elements, or conflict with an opposing force was involved.

To Auric: "That sounds a grand idea to me, but I'd suggest you take Jon with yeh, as he is the man o' nature, and could advise you or step in if the creatures get shirty. I'd be happy to follow close-like, and weave some of me illusions around yeh to help protect yeh if need be.

"I also have nets, which could come in handy to restrain the beasts."

Just wondering, is reading Liam's accent becoming annoying? I'm happy to can it, iffen it be bothering' yeh...


"I will accompany you, Auric. I believe making noise to signal our approach is proper. I also think we should stop a respectful distance away and allow them to come to us. We do not want them thinking we are assaulting their nest."


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

And shall Liam attempt to shadow you or hide off the main path?

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Liam: Io notes that a lessening in outside incursions by humanoids and other enemies, along with a rise in insurrectionist forces within the borders, caused the dwarves to reallocate troops. It would seem they feel a need to reinforce these positions once more.

While there is no "path," persay, there is enough clear area in the valley that approaching openly can be done. Likewise, there are enough trees and underbrush that those wishing to remain concealed from view can do so.

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

*bump*


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Whoops, sorry. I keep losing my threads... on the messageboards. My clothes are exactly where they belong.

Auric drums on his shield a bit in the clear area of the valley, keeping a simple rhythm to make sure the sound is heard as being intentional.

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Auric's attempts to be noticed are successful. After about half a minute there is motion from high up on the cliff face. A form emerges from a shadowed area on a small rock outcropping. A great avian face peers down at the valley floor, predatory golden eyes fix on Auric over the menacing curve of a large beak. A great screech echoes off the canyon walls as the beast unfurls its wings to a span of nearly twenty feet.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

I'm attempting to hide in the bushes, or behind rocky clusters.

Stealth:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Oh dear. That ain't good.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric looks uncertainly to Jon, tensing a bit before calling up.
"HELLO!", he attempts, in Common. "WE WOULD SPEAK WITH YOU!"
After which, he says the same in Elven- adding that he is not at all delicious and mostly metal and gristle; tough like dwarf-meat.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29
Auric Ironwright wrote:
...adding that he is not at all delicious and mostly metal and gristle; tough like dwarf-meat.

Nice :)

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The beast gives another screech and then leaps from the precipice, its standing launch propelling it a full ten feet from the ledge before it begins to drop, then it gives a lazy flap of its wings, traveling across the width of the valley and then away from you, making a large circle. This gives it a head on approach, coming down with rapid speed. For a moment, Auric thinks the griffon is going to dive on him, and reflexively raises his shield. However at the last moment it pulls up, braking and coming to a landing some twenty feet from him. It folds its wings and raises its head to regard the paladin. You would swear it seems amused.


Jon manages to stand his ground as the griffon lands. He bows, attempting to stay as polite as possible. "I am called Jon. This one is called Auric. We would like to speak with you regarding the bird-folk who also hunt in these lands. We mean you no harm."

Sorry, lost this thread's dot.

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The griffon thrusts its head forward, giving a loud screech. The feathers around its head puff a bit, but it stands its ground, staring at you with its golden eyes, apparently giving you the chance to speak.


"We know you have recently established a nest in this area. The akaara, the bird-folk, also live in this area. They do not wish to have conflict with you, so have asked us to speak with you. Is it possible to share the territory?"

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The griffon lets out an angry screech, ruffling its wings and tearing furrows in the ground with its talons.


Jon continues. "The akaara held this territory before you arrived. You have a choice: either share the territory or leave it. We do not wish to harm you or your nest, but if we must, we must."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Let's see if we can't sweeten the deal a bit...

"And if you can co-exist", Auric hastens to add,"we may be able to persuade the akaara to bring you a tribute from time to time- maybe even horse meat."
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


Oh thank gawd you're diplomatic. I got nothing.

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The griffon cocks its head, eyes moving over to Auric and it seems to consider a moment. Then its feathers puff out again. You brace yourself for another defiant screech, but then there's a hair-ruffling breeze as another winged shape brakes and lands.

The second griffon, slightly smaller and sleeker looking than the first, nudges the other, butting its head under the first's beak. The griffon's demeanor seems to soften somewhat, as the first makes placating noises and appears to communicate something.

Then the first griffon turns to you, waving its raptorial head up and down in apparent agreement. However, it raises a forelimb and gives a sqwork, flexing its talons open and closed as if pulling something towards it.

Sense Motive checks if you please.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29


Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

If I had gotten a 30, could I have read its mind?

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Auric: You're fairly certain that the second griffon, his mate, is convinced, but that the male will only agree to the deal in exchange for something--probably horseflesh--immediately.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

And we're back!

Hiding in the bushes, wondering if the griffon's are aware of him anyway, Liam wrestles with the dangers of startling the griffons by emerging...

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey
Auric Ironwright wrote:
If I had gotten a 30, could I have read its mind?

I'd certainly be willing to let Auric think he could.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric takes a deep breath,nodding slowly and getting ready for more verbal maneuvering.
"All right, I understand: you need proof. I haven't got any for you right now- but if you let us leave, we'll return shortly with your horseflesh to seal the deal. I'll announce us the same way as I did before so you'll know it's me. Are we understood?"
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The griffons exchange glances, then both give a bow of their heads, apparently indicating consent.


Jon lets out a sigh of relief he doesn't realize he was holding. "We'll go, then. We will return with your horseflesh soon."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Once they're a short distance away and out of earshot of the griffons, Auric turns to Jon.
"So... where can we find some horses around here? I don't suppose you can conjure one up for them to eat, can you?"

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Io, having come out of hiding and rejoined the group, says "There is a place not far from here where there are ponies to be had..."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Oh, good!", Auric says, visibly relieved. Until he considers it for a second.
"Wild ponies, right? Not a farm or a village?"

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Io find a sudden need to preen her feathers before answering. "Not a farm nor a village, no. It is...well, an outpost..of dwarven scouts."

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Bumping this, because I know the forums have been buggy since the update.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Liam moves from the bushes back to the party. "What's that, a chance to placate the griffons and cause some havoc to those oppressive bastards? Count this gypsy in," he states with a broad grin.


Jon raises one eyebrow. "Dwarven scouts? If we head there, we must be heavily disguised. It would not do to have them equating us with the village."


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Liam nods. "Disguise as a back up plan, in case stealth fails us," he muses. "'Twould be best if they never saw us at all."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"I'm okay with taking their horses, so long as it wasn't a farmer or anything.", Auric says, before looking down at his broad body, weapons and equipment.
"But stealth isn't what I'm suited for, that's for sure. We need to put a plan together... maybe see if we can figure a way to get the scouts out of their outpost without their horses."


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"So maybe some sort o' diversionary tactic?" Liam muses. "We definitely need some idea o' how many dwarves are there."

Liam turns to Io. "Is there anythin' further ye can tell us about this here outpost? Number o' dwarves, that kinda thing?"

The Exchange

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Io ruffles her feathers a bit and blinks her golden eyes. "Perhaps no more than a dozen at any one time. Usually less, as most of them will be out on patrol. They keep watch for things beyond the borders...goblins, ogres, mamur, that sort of thing. They have a horse nest...er, stable, next to the building the dwarves rest in. It has a fenced yard for the ponies to roam or be trained. They are usually armed with crossbows."


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Liam looks around the group. "Well, that doesn't sound too bad now, does it? I reckon we could draw at least half of them somehow, then take the ponies. Maybe crack a few dwarven skulls while we're at it..."

1,701 to 1,750 of 1,903 << first < prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.