Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


1,651 to 1,700 of 1,903 << first < prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | next > last >>

Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Looks like we'll have to come back when we have the time and equipment necessary to breach this hole further. Thank you all for following me on this personal quest. Now I say we return to a warmer environ and wait out the rest of winter.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Chapter 2: Spring's Promise

Having made a spectacular find in the form of the Grand Archive, the party returns to Three Oaks to ride out the rest of a very harsh winter. Several storms dump prodigious amounts of snow upon the Marches, cocooning them in white until late into the Spring. Farmers labor to get their crop seed in the ground quickly. The three great trees in the town center begin to sprout green buds, heralding the final end to a harsh winter that has depleted both food stores and firewood.

As the group prepares to set out and settle accounts between themselves and the birdfolk for the timely rescue received by the original quartet in their first venture, things suddenly get interesting. While Jon is out checking on the state of the local herbs--still too early to start harvesting, but concerned with supply later in the year--he hears a trill and notes an akaara sitting in a tree nearby. It beckons him and produces a note before inclining its head and flying off. Unrolling the piece of parchment reveals the following missive:

Friends,

You have promised to aid our people by removing the griffon from our territory. We know you will keep to your word, but wished to warn you that he has found himself a mate. Find one of our hunting camps should you wish to discuss this further.

--Io


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I would have split my time for the remainder of the winter between meditating, training, researching the best possible means of moving the archive to our sagacious halls AND anything I can find about Griffons, and spending time with Jon, Auric, Liam, and our witch friend ( sorry forget name and can't navigate back to find out as typing this from cell phone.).


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

I have been reacquainting myself with the townsfolk of Three Oaks, attempting to make myself useful to anyone in need, and telling tall tales and drinking moderately by night. I am fired with a new sense of purpose thanks to my relationship with the other party members, and I'm keen to tackle any adventures they'll have me on.

As the winter fades, I become bored with being in the same place for too long, and my nigly tales begin to revolve around great quests and journeys made by human heroes in ages past.

I'm also making subtle enquiries about anything to do with the quests and riddles the party has been posed.

Diplomacy (Oratory) check? 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19


Sorry, I didn't get the usual dot and update on my threads...

Jon burns the note to avoid any discovery, then heads off to the tavern to check for Auric, Liam or Kalaya, or Gendo if he's around. Once he finds them, he tells them the news in a low voice.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Kalaya spends the time amongst the community, providing healing where needed and communing with her patron, studying the changes and signs amongst the stars.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I take in the news Jon passes along.

That certainly makes things more challenging. Even moreso if they have produced a clutch of eggs. I do not mean to be cruel, but, we could keep any eggs and raise them as our own. In anycase, let us gather our belongings and fulfill our oath to our friends. I find that traveling does much to calm the fire inside.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Kalaya: The new star has been steadily changing position over the intervening months. It now sits just above the easternmost peaks and is the brightest thing in the night sky, save for the moon. The common folk have noticed it, and talk is going around, with folk assigning it as either a good or dire omen.

Jon: Lizzie Dorn is proving to be a capable assistant. With her at the shop, slipping away to deal with the griffons won't be as difficult. You can simply have her deal with day-to-day folk, and she can say you're off harvesting new crops of wild ingredients that aren't available from your garden.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Any knowledge check I can take regarding the new star that everyone's noticing?
I'm excited to get going on another jaunt. "So, when shall we head off? Must say, I never seen a griffon before."


"I am ready to leave when you lot are. My assistant is proving capable in her own right and I feel confident about leaving her in charge. We have a debt to discharge and must do so."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey
Liam Lightfoot wrote:

Any knowledge check I can take regarding the new star that everyone's noticing?

I'm excited to get going on another jaunt. "So, when shall we head off? Must say, I never seen a griffon before."

A Knowledge(nature) check might get you something.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric nods, a frown creasing his lip at the news.
"That does complicate things, but a promise is a promise and we do need to head south shortly. Best we wrap up our business sooner than later.", he says.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

I rack my brain, thinking through all I've heard in my travels regarding stars in the natural world. Perhaps something a crazy old crone in the woodlands mentioned once, or a tale from a scholar...

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

EDIT: Woohoo!

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Liam:
As the old saying goes, there is nothing new under the sun. The sky is unchanging. There are no new stars, and nothing shines brighter than the stars but the planets...however...back in your grandfather's time there was a tale of a star that fell from the sky and struck a mountainside one night. It was preceded by several nights of shooting stars, and looked like a great blazing star itself when it came down. It caused a great avalanche, and afterward the dwarves explored the place and came away with a fortune in adamantine.

Of course, this couldn't possibly be the same thing, because this thing is obviously still far off in the great reaches of the sky. If it were a falling star, to be seen from that distance, it would have to be enormous...


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29
Shadowborn wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
Enormous. Uh oh.

Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Let's ask Kalaya if she would like to join us. Her skills may prove useful and an extra companion on this task would be most welcome.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"So, has anyone else noticed that crazy new star? I do recall a tale o' me grandpa's, where a flaming red star fell from the sky and smote the side off a mountain. Just got me to thinking... If this here star's planning to fall, it's moving so slowly that the bloody thing must be gigantous. An' if a wee one wrecks half a mountain.. Anyone else gettin' a shiver up their spine?"


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

"The stars hold more power and mystery than most would dare imagine Liam," Kalaya says as she pulls up a seat at the table.

"That new star will change the world, but it hold great knowledge as well, the inner workings of the universe, these are the true secrets of the world."

The young witch's eyes burn with a deep intensity.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"Wow, the old entering from nowhere and intoning a mythic-sounding statement really works. I'm going to have to use that in more stories..." I think to myself.

Out loud: "Really? Do you know more about it, Kalaya? That sounds like a good tale, true or no."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I look to Kalaya as she pulls a seat to the table. If one were to take what Liam has related and your own assertion that it will change the world, that change may come from the throws of cataclysm. It may be something for which we could consult the archive, but not until after we fulfill our promise to our friends.


"I do not doubt the power of the stars, Kalaya, but I fear what will befell the world if Liam's supposition is right. A cataclysm of that magnitude would alter the natural world. Who can say what will happen after? Still, Gendo, Auric and I have a debt to pay. We must convince a pair of griffons to seek hunting grounds elsewhere, preferably without harming them. We would be honored if you would join us, Liam and Kalaya, though our debt is not yours."


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

"I would be happy to help, I have a feeling our paths merged for a reason yet to be fulfilled."

Up in the rafters Whisperwing hoots softly


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"Likewise for meself. I don't mind tellin' ye, I'm bored as all Hells in this town. Time to stretch the legs, I reckon."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Anything the PCs would lkie to do or acquire before setting off into the mountains on their griffon hunt?


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Gendo would gather some climbing gear, a spare set of clothes, water, food, and flint and steel, and dry rations.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric folds his arms and tilts his chair back.
"Hmmm. What kind of magic have you guys got available? I would think, since these griffons are basically animals, right, we could spend long enough driving smoke and loud noises at the nest and drive them off that way right? I have a smokestick, still and we could get some thunderstones and such... though I suppose they could cause an avalanche... If any of you can do that with a magic trick, it may save us some funds too."


"In honor of their intelligence, let us first speak with them. Perhaps an arrangement can be made. These are not dumb animals, after all. They have magic in their blood."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I've read that they can be fiercely loyal to those that have earned their loyalty. At least according to the little I was able to find. Mostly I found tales of valiant warriors having Griffon mounts. All of that which I read described their strength, ferocity, and cunning capabilities when pushed to a fight. Tales and stories can eb helpful, but only so much....Jon, perhaps you can fill us in on what you know.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

"Should it come to that, my magic can weaken, sicken, frighten or physically harm them as well as make it hard for them to see us and weaken their minds. They are creatures of strong magic thought, it would be wise to beware."


Male Half-elf Musician 6/ Student 4/ Fighter 1/ Freelancer 1

"I've the power to cast weak illusions, but I'll admit they're all based around the telling' of tales. Still, I could rouse up some loud, distracting noises, or some fearsome images."


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"Well, shall we set out then? I never sen a griffon before, but I have heard tales of them, which may be more handy than you think, Gendo," I say smiling cheekily.

Knowledge (nature) check for stories about griffons:
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Or maybe not handy at all...


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Looks like we're all just idling for the next step. Do I hear the traveling score from Indiana Jones franchise?


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

:)

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Moving forward in about three hours, give or take...writing...almost...finished.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Okay, maybe not that soon...

Gathering up your gear, your group heads out of town headed west, then steering north off the road once you're out of sight of the village. You head for the hunting camp where the senior members of the party first had their conversations with the akaara, after being saved from the dwarven patrol. The travel is easy and the weather is mild, with lots of sun and a mild breeze.

Within the trees in the foothills, after fording the small stream that runs out of a large ravine, the group comes upon the cunningly crafted platforms and domed huts of the akarra hunting camp. After announcing yourselves, one of the brown-feathered birdfolk peers down, giving a melodic greeting. A moment later a rope ladder is unrolled, dropping down in front of you.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

I defer to the party members that have had dealings with the birdfolk before, but I'll let them know that I'm willing to take part in any discussions if they so wish.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I climb the rope ladder. Upon reaching the ledge, The winds have been kind of late. We come to fulfill our oath to you. We bring others who have agreed to assist us - Liam Lightfoot, songsinger and taleweaver, and Kalaya, a gifted skygazer. I gesture to each as they reach the ledge.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The three birdfolk hunters give graceful bows, their wings spreading about them like the skirts of curtseying women. One replies:

"Well met friend, and friend of friend. Fair winds to you as to this task you do attend. Sit, eat, and drink. From your travels rest, and ill will forfend, forfend."

A low table is set with cold meats and a small bowl of dried fruit. There are also bowls of cool water set out.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Oh, and Liam...:
You know that griffons are fierce predators, much more intelligent than mere beasts. They are ferociously loyal and stubborn creatures, with a weakness for horseflesh that borders on obsession.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Searching my memory (nature?) for tales of how to appropriately greet birdfolk, then doing that.

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric takes a seat and begins to eat and drink.
"Is there any further news about the griffons? Still the mated pair, no eggs yet?"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

"If there are eggs, we cannot say. If we get near the nest, they drive us away. A fierce mated pair, they are, they are."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

How many moons have they been a mated pair? I ask as I partake of the feast before us.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Yargh. I can only keep up the rhyming for so long. Fezzik I'm not...

The akaara inform you that he secured his mate recently, at the very beginning of the spring, Perhaps a month ago.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Hmmm. Well, how do you guys want to approach this? Ask them nicely? Try and buy them a horse to eat and bribe them away? Or something a little more direct? We should go in with a plan."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Jon? You're knowledge here would be most useful. Liam's tales can provide some insight. Regardless, all options must be considered: drive them off, capture them and take them elsewhere to live, or if neither of those options work, a more final solution pursued.


Knowledge: Nature 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17 for more info about griffons.

"Perhaps if we were to offer food in exchange for parley? Or if we were to suggest better hunting grounds?"


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"I for one am against killing such magnificent beasts. I'll never shrink from taking out dwarves that oppress us, or bloodthirsty monsters, but these creatures are just protecting their patch. I reckon I remember tales of griffons understanding some kind of speech. Maybe we could try to bargain?"


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

My apologies. I too would rather avoid the death of such creatures. However, it may be something we must consider - as an absolute last resort after all other options have been exhausted, in order to fulfill our oath. Be that as it may, parlay is far less final.

A slight smirk appears on my face, as though something amusing came to mind.

Perhaps an accord could be reached for the Griffons and Akaara to live and hunt together, both the stronger for such ties.

Looking to our host, Would such a solution be amenable to your people?

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The akaara seem a bit puzzled by your question, but agree to your proposal if you believe you can accomplish this. They do mention, however, that the reason they asked you to deal with the problem is because griffons tend to attack akaara on sight in an attempt to drive them away, as griffons see them as competing predators.

1,651 to 1,700 of 1,903 << first < prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.