Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


1,601 to 1,650 of 1,903 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>
Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Inside the lines:
"WHAT? BY THE EIGHT GREAT ONES, I... I SUPPOSE I COULD SPEAK A BIT MORE SOFTLY, YES. THIS IS HIGHLY IRREGULAR, PEOPLE REQUESTING THINGS WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE MEDIATOR. IS THIS HOW IT'S GOING TO BE FROM NOW ON? CHAOTIC INTRUSIONS BY PEOPLE WITHOUT THE PROPER DECORUM TO DO THINGS CORRECTLY? WHEN THE ORDER WAS STILL HERE WE HAD...WELL, ORDER! SEEMS LIKE I HAVE TO EXPLAIN THE RULES AGAIN EACH TIME I'M AWAKENED." The head has reduced its volume to a dull roar, but still much too loud for a conversation within these confines. You're just grateful that whatever it is that keeps the conversation private also keeps its voice from echoing off the walls of the place.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Realizing that the others are clearly reacting to something she is unable to hear, Kalaya takes a step inside of the circle, Whisperwing silently landing on her shoulder.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Please forgive our ignorance. The world is not as it once was. Much has been forgotten and lost. We are ignorant of the protocols and rules necessary access your knowledge, due to the oppression of humans everywhere and all that is not Baal. Is this the Sanctum of Mimir?

My words are respectful, yet filled with wonder at that potential treasure trove to be unlocked.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

"YES, THIS IS-- *ahem* YES, THIS IS THE GRAND ARCHIVE, SACRED TO MIMIR AND REPOSITORY OF KNOWLEDGE."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Well...?


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

My apologies for the delay

Grand Archive, I have five questions whose answers would do much to remove the shroud of ignorance. First, would it be possible to move the Grand Archive to a new location, one housing those dedicated to the preservation and guardianship of knowledge? Second, if it is possible to move the Grand Archive, how would this be accomplished? Third, is there any record within the repository that can explain human flight to these dwarven lands? If so, what happened? Fifth and finally, where lies Fardusk?

The entire time my voice is even and measured, filled with respect.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

"YES, WELL...LET US TAKE THEM IN THE ORDER ASKED. FIRST, MOVING WOULD THEORETICALLY BE POSSIBLE. HOWEVER, I AM CARVED FROM A STONE OF PRODIGIOUS WEIGHT. IT WOULD TAKE ROPES, PULLEYS, A MIGHTILY REINFORCED WAGON, AND MANY MEN AND BEASTS OF BURDEN. THE TASK WOULD BE ARDUOUS. HOWEVER, SUFFICIENTLY POWERFUL MAGICS WOULD ALSO SUFFICE."

"THE SECOND QUESTION CANNOT BE ANSWERED AS ASKED, BECAUSE IT STEMS FROM A FALSE PREMISE. HUMANS DID NOT FLEE HERE; THEY HAVE ALWAYS LIVED HERE, AS HAVE THE DWARVES. TWIN KINGS RULED KINGDOMS BOTH NORTH AND SOUTH. THE DWARVES LIVED IN THEIR FORTRESSES IN THE MOUNTAINS AND BENEATH THE EARTH, FREE AND EQUAL. WITH THE PASSING OF KING JORIN, THE DWARVEN KINGS ASSUMED REGENCY UNTIL SUCH TIME AS A NEW KING WAS CROWNED."

"ULTIMATELY, THIS NAME 'FARDUSK' IS NOT KNOWN TO THE ARCHIVE. I SHALL CONSULT... FARDUSK IS A CITY THAT LIES LEAGUES TO THE WEST, BEYOND AN INLAND SEA FED BY A GREAT GLACIER. IT LIES ATOP THE RUINS OF WHAT WAS ONCE THE WESTERNMOST SETTLEMENT IN JORIN'S LANDS."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Who- or what- has recently passed through the Archives? What questions did they pose?", Auric asks Gendo, so the monk may ask.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

"THEY WERE TRAVELERS THAT CAME UPON THIS PLACE BY CHANCE, MUCH LIKE YOU IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN. THEY ASKED MANY QUESTIONS, SOME OF WHICH I NEEDED TO COMMUNE TO ANSWER. THEY ASKED FOR THE IDENTITY OF THE MURDERER OF THE SON OF THANE IRONFIST OF DUNSHALE. THEY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT TIME, WHICH I HAVE LITTLE CONCEPT OF WHERE IT PERTAINS TO ME. I COULD ONLY CONJECTURE I HAVE SAT HERE UNNEEDED FOR A GREAT WHILE...LONG ENOUGH FOR THE UNATTENDED LIBRARY HERE TO FALL INTO DECAY FROM DISUSE AND NEGLECT. THEY ALSO ASKED ABOUT MOVING ME, OR AT LEAST RESTORING THE KNOWLEDGE I HOLD TO WRITTEN WORKS. ONE ASKED WHETHER THE DWARVES' ORDER OF THE FLAME HAD SENT ASSAILANTS TO KILL THEM. FINALLY, ANOTHER ASKED WHERE THE CLOSEST LIVING DESCENDENT OF THOSE WHO CARED FOR THE ARCHIVE COULD BE FOUND."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

My eyes open wide in surprise at the revelations provided by the Grand Archive.

I thank you for the information Grand Archive, but alas they have lead to the necessity of more questions. To move the grand archive, would it have to be the whole of the stone from which you are carved? Or would there be a smaller portion that could be taken and moved to a new location without causing the archive to deteriorate as the library? Perhaps maybe even transfering the Grand Archive into a temporary living vessel within which to be transported to the new location and then transferred into another more suitable housing? Who is and where does the closest living descendent of King Jorin reside? Is there some physical proof of this? Are the dwarves aware of the descendents existence? What exactly happened to the world that has resulted in it being the way it is now?


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Kalaya listens to the exchange with a thoughtful expression. "What was the cause of King Jorin's death?"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

"WHAT?! WHAT SORT OF QUESTION IS THAT? IF ONE WERE TO, SAY, SEVER YOUR LEG AND TAKE IT TO ANOTHER VALE IN THESE MOUNTAINS, WOULD IT BE SAID THAT YOU HAD MOVED TO THE NEXT VALLEY? NO. THE ESSENCE OF WHO I ONCE WAS AND WHAT I NOW AM ARE INFUSED IN THE STONE. IF ONE WERE TO FIND A TALENTED WIZARD KNOWLEDGEABLE IN SUCH ARTS, I SUPPOSE SUCH A TRANSFER AS YOU SUGGEST COULD BE POSSIBLE. THERE ARE MANY TREATISES ON THE THEORY BEHIND IT..." At this point the Grand Archive begins quoting obtuse magical academia from some of the various works contained in its memory, until you are able to assure him you know of no wizards capable of such a feat and that it should move on to your other questions.

"YOU SHALL HAVE TO ASK AGAIN LATER. BETWEEN YOU AND THE OTHERS THAT CAME BEFORE I HAVE EXHAUSTED MY ABILITIES TO CONTACT THE POWERS WHICH PROVIDE MY INFORMATION. HAD YOU BEEN STUDENTS OF THE ORDER, YOU WOULD REALIZE THAT SUCH POWER IS LIMITED, IN ORDER FOR YOU TO NOT RELY ON SUCH SOURCES. RESEARCH, YOUNG ONE, AND EXPERIENCE ARE THE PUREST SOURCES FROM WHICH TO QUENCH THE THIRST FOR KNOWLEDGE. IF YOUR QUESTIONS CANNOT BE ANSWERED IN A MOON'S TIME, YOU MAY RETURN AND I SHALL HAVE THE ABILITY TO PUT YOUR QUERY TO THE POWERS ONCE AGAIN"

"I CAN, HOWEVER, PUT FORTH SOME CONJECTURE. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE DWARVES WOULD BE ABLE TO IDENTIFY A DESCENDENT OF JORIN. IN AGES PAST, THE FIRST KING, ARGENTUS, MARRIED THE DAUGHTER OF THE WINGED PRINCE OF HIGH JANKAL. THE PRINCE WAS BORN OF THE UNION OF MORTAL AND ANGEL. THUS HIS PROGENY CARRY THE BLESSED BLOOD OF THE HEAVENS. LATER GENERATIONS MIGHT SHOW SIGNS, DILUTED THOUGH THE BLOODLINE MIGHT BE. DWARVES ARE KNOWN FOR THEIR FOLLOWING OF AND ADHERENCE TO THE FAMILY LINE. IF THEY ARE UNABLE TO TRACE THE LINEAGE, THEY WOULD KNOW OF THE SIGNS OF CELESTIAL BLOOD AND USE THAT AS A MARKER THAT AN INDIVIDUAL MIGHT CARRY THE ROYAL BLOOD."

"TO YOUR FINAL QUESTION, AGAIN I AM BLINDED BY MY INABILITY TO PERCEIVE THE PASSAGE OF TIME AS YOU DO. I DO NOT KNOW THE WORLD AS IT IS, SO I HAVE NO COMPARISON TO THE WORLD THAT WAS. AGAIN, I MUST MERELY SPECULATE. THERE WAS A GREAT WAR, SPANNING THE WORLD. DURING THAT WAR, DARK POWERS WERE BROUGHT INTO PLAY. ON THE SIDE OF THE ENEMY, THE DEMONIC FORCES OF THE ABYSS WERE UNLEASHED. WHEN THE TWIN KINGS FELL, THE LORDS OF THE LAND SUCCUMBED TO TEMPTATION AND SUMMONED DARK FORCES OF THEIR OWN TO COMBAT THE THREAT. THE TWO THREATENED TO TEAR THE WORLD ASUNDER. IT WAS THEN THAT BAAL LAID DOWN THE INTERDICTION, CUTTING OFF ALL ACCESS TO THE LOWER PLANES AND STOPPING THE FLOOD OF EVIL INTO THE WORLD, SAVING IT. ANYTHING THAT HAS HAPPENED SINCE IS LIKELY A RESULT OF THE INFLUX BEFORE THE INTERDICTION WAS LAID DOWN."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey
Kalaya wrote:
Kalaya listens to the exchange with a thoughtful expression. "What was the cause of King Jorin's death?"

"IT IS SAID THAT KING JORIN WAS FELLED ON THE FIELD OF BATTLE BY A POWERFUL FIEND. HIS BODY WAS SPIRITED AWAY BY FORCES LOYAL TO THE CROWN AND LAID IN A HIDDEN TOMB."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Thank you Grand Archive. It is my hope to move you to another location. Knowing what it entails now, though the task will be difficult in the extreme, I would see it done, so long as no undue harm or destruction were to befall you.

I reach into a pouch within my shirt, pulling forth the key that the Baron gifted me, One last question Grand Archive. Would you be able to provide some insight into the purpose of this key? It was a gift granted to me, said to be the key to the Sanctum of Mimir. This is the Grand Archive, but what of the Sanctum?

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

"THE GRAND ARCHIVE LIES WITHIN THE SANCTUM. KEYS OF THAT SORT OPENED ALL DOORS WITHIN THE COMPLEX, EXCEPT THOSE ONLY FOR THE EYES OF THE GRAND ARCHIVIST. SADLY, THE RUIN OF THE PLACE HAS CUT OFF ACCESS TO THE OTHER AREAS."

True to its statement, there are archways that once led from this room, now choked off with fallen stone.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Any word from our bard?

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

He sent me a pm on Wed saying he'd jump back in the game, but...


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

So, there is more, just...unavailable at this time. You have my thanks for answering our questions.

I bow and then step from the circle. Looking to Auric, Jon, William, and Kalaya, This is a truly magnificent find. I will have to consult with the members of my Order about the possibility of moving the Archive. This has been atruly magnificent find.

I then gesture to the rubble, I would be remiss if I did not at least try to see if there were not some way to clear a small passage through the rubble. However, though I am lacking in knowledge with regards to tunneling and stonework, I would also be remiss if I did not consult with others who may have knowledge I do not. If any of you know anything of tunneling, looking at the fallen rubble blocking the rest of the Sanctum, does there exist the likelihood of working some of the rubble free and creating an opening?

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

I don't think anyone has ranks in Knowledge(engineering)...

The cave-ins look pretty final. Digging even one of these passages out by hand seems unfeasible. With tools and a wheelbarrow to dispose of rubble, it looks like many man-hours of labor.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

As it becomes apparent that we all lack knowledge of stonework, I sigh before saying, It seems the rest of the rest of the Sanctum shall have to wait for another day before uncovering, at least as things sit now, what other items of antiquity have been forgotten. I'm not sure there is much more to explore, it won't hurt to look I'm sure. However, it may be better to return to more civilized accommodations for the remainder of the winter. I am truly sorry that there was not more.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric shrugs.
"It's not like you could have known. And we did meet a giant talking head, which is not at all what any of us expected. Do you all want to take a quick look down the other passage there or should we just head back?"


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

"Since we're already here it couldn't hurt to look." Kalaya responds, giving the repository another fascinated glance.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

I presume we're talking about the other passage from the cave?


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Affirmative.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I smile lightly, comforted by the support of my friends. Well then, let's see where that other passage leads. I'll take the lead.

I then follow words with actions and start moving out of the area of the Grand Archive and down the other passage.


"Indeed. A profitable visit, I think."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The other passage takes the group to a cathedral-like cavern, long, narrow, and tall. Shafts of light from above indicate exits to the outside somewhere above. The floor is coated with guano, some of it lying in heaps and piles about the place. Lying on the floor near the center of the cave you find the mostly skeletal remains of a great bat, about the size of a pony.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I walk carefully over to the skeleton, squatting down, I examine the remains. Perception check 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17

Jon, have you ever come across anything like this before?


Knowledge: Nature 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Jon is fairly sure these are the remains of a dire bat. Judging by the state of the remains, the fire beetles picked over it well before they died, leaving the rest to the smaller regular inhabitants of the cave. From the amount of guano here, there were probably several roosting in this cave at one time.

He recalls that the nocturne have an affinity for bats, and often use these giants to ride when carrying out raids on other humanoids.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric fans the air in front if his face, grimacing with disgust.
"Ugh. The beauty of the natural world."
Nonetheless, he paces the hall, searching for other entrances or exits.
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Auric finds nothing other than a small sinkhole near the end of the cavern. William might have been able to squeeze his way down it, but it's too small for anyone currently in the party.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

Sorry folks for the absence, back on board now!
I'll also make a thorough search of the area.
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Apparently not so thorough...


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

A truly magnificent creature. No doubt quite fearsome to behold.

I stand and join Liam and Auric in their perusal of the area.
Perception check 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17

It's a shame William is no longer with us. It'd be nice to know where this ends up. I say gesturing to the sinkhole Auric discovered.


"It is... was a dire bat. I have heard of such things. However the beetles have gotten to him. Though I judge by the guano that it has kin both large and small above us. Quiet is called for."

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

While you can hear the twittering and squeaks of bats above, there is no sign of any more of these giants lurking about. While they may have roosted here once, that no longer seems to be the case. Perhaps they left with any nocturne that survived the attack which killed the ones back in the other room.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"Maybe a little light would help...". I cast dancing lights, sending one of the four Into the sinkhole. The three sit about 3' above our heads.

Redo Perception check? 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

I think you blinded yourself with them...

The sinkhole looks as if it might emerge into another cavern, but your limited range of vision makes it hard to be sure.


Male Half-elf Musician 6/ Student 4/ Fighter 1/ Freelancer 1

"Can anyone see down there? I'm a wee bit dazzled..."


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Perception1d20 ⇒ 8


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Perception1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The party takes turns peering down the shaft, but sees nothing out of the ordinary. Gendo is sure that if the group was capable of descending they would find another cave, but cannot make out any significant details with the limited field of view.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

How stable is the edge of the sinkhole, ie what would it take to widen it?
Engineering check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

It seems fairly stable. You'd need time and tools


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

"I could go down and see what's there if you'd like." Kalaya says mysteriously. "No trouble at all.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I arched an eyebrow as I look to Kalaya.

In a hesitant voice, I would not wish for you to be placed in danger.

My voice becoming more certain, We know there is another cavern, but not what lies below. It could be more bats - large and small or quite possibly where the beatles are nesting. As much as I'd like to know, I do not believe the risks are worthwhile at this time. Better we explore the rest of this cavern and see if there are any other passages, leading off of this cavern.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

I shrug. "If you're happy to go down there by yourself, lady, I'm happy to let ye. I'm sure interested to see how you're going to do it!"


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"It looks like this is it for this cavern; there's only the sinkhole. If you're up for it Kalaya, we should get a good look before we leave. Just a look, mind."


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

With a nod Kalaya smiles and steps into the hole, her inevitable plummet turned into a delicate floating descent as Whisperwing accompanies her.

Feather fall

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

*pause button* *rewind* To go back to the the description of the hole, it's too small for any Medium creature to get through without magical aid. A Small creature would have to squeeze. Carry on.

1,601 to 1,650 of 1,903 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.