Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) (Inactive)

Game Master Shadowborn


1,551 to 1,600 of 1,903 << first < prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | next > last >>
Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Lanterns lit, the party enters the cave one by one. The passage twists into the hillside for about ten paces before opening into a small cavern, about twenty feet across. Another passage leads out of the room to the east for about fifteen feet before twisting northward. Though the source of the smell is not evident, the odor is stronger.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Kalaya takes a place at the back of the line, whispering an eerire phrase as four orbs of softly glowing ligt materialize in the air around her and move forward evenly spaces to fuly illuminate the room.

Whisperwing silently takes off flying to the level of the roof of the cave to obtain a better view.

Whisperwing perception 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Following the next passage, you round the bend and proceed north about thirty feet before it widens into another cavern,much larger than the first. Kalaya's magical lights move to give the group a clear view of the place.

About twenty feet ahead the floor drops, a natural step of about five feet down to the widening cavern floor. The natural stalagmites and other outcroppings have been worked away, leaving an open area that appears to have served as a lair at some time in the recent past. The remains of the previous occupants are evident, and obviously the source of the foul odor.

Scattered humanoid remains litter the floor, as do the remains of some type of large insect, dark beetles the size of small dogs. The humanoid remains appear to have been mostly stripped of flesh, possibly by the large insects, though many smaller normal cave dwellers are still hard at work removing what remains.

There are two other passages entering this cavern, one from the north and the other from the northwest.


Jon takes a moment to cast his Know Direction cantrip, attempting to keep a map in his head.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric steps down into the cave as quietly as he can.
"What do you make of those beetles, Jon? Think something else got them after they got these poor people?"


Jon steps forward to get a better look at the beetles, enchanting his sickle as he goes to shed light.

Knowledge: Nature: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I move to examine the remains of the humanoids and the beetles closer.

Perception check 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Jon notes that these are fire beetles. Judging from the state of the remains, it's likely that these small humanoids were devoured by them. However, the beetles were killed long after, and their light glands have been harvested.

Gendo looks over the scene and notes a few things as well. First, though the bodies have been eaten, the show signs of having died from weapon injuries: cuts to the ribs indicating stab wounds, crushed skulls, and the like. Also, the beetles are grouped near the two other passages, as if the beetles came from there and were met with force and dispatched. A lack of weapons and items on the humanoids seems to suggest they were looted after they were killed, though by those that originally killed them or whoever killed the beetles, he can't say.

Jon is able to determine that the humanoid corpses were nocturne, degenerate cave-dwelling cousins of gnomes. They're a nasty race, prone to cannibalism. They often reside with giant bats, using them as mounts to raid other humanoid settlements.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

"Well this is a less than appetizing sight. Question is, is what caused all this still here or has it moved on?"


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Well, it seems that we are not the first to come here. It is troubling what we have found. Let us proceed further with greater caution.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Right. Suppose one tunnel's as good as another, then. Let's head north.", Auric says, striding carefully over the bones and carapaces into the tunnel.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The north passage gently winds that direction for about fifty feet before abruptly ending. Against the wall is a large stone basin, carved from the very rock of the cavern. Above it is what appears to be a bas relief carving of a statue, its features unrecognizable after years of mineral deposits formed from dripping water from the ceiling. However, it appears that someone has taken the time to clear away the deposits from the statue's head, revealing the upper portion of a man's face.

The carving is about twelve feet tall. Standing and stretching on the edge of the basin will put a tall person nearly eye level with the carving.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric holds his lantern high, trying to discern any identifying marks on the statue.
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Knowledge- religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Unfortunately, the build-up of lime deposits has obscured anything that would give Auric any insight concerning the statue.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I join Auric in his study of the statue as well as the area surrounding the statue.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18
Know - history: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Gendo has no clue what the statue represents, but does note that the lime that has been scaled away has revealed the upper portion of the head, including the eyes. The eyes appear to hold a strange pattern. In fact, the pattern in the right eye appears to be deeply carved, as if something were made to fit there.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

I will also examine the carving, particularly the eyes. Can I tell what sort of shape the object "made to fit" might be?

Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Seems to you as if that strangely wrought ring ought to fit nicely.


Male Human Bard 4, hp 29/29

"Kalaya! I think that strange ring you found could be just what we need here." I'll motion to the eye of the carving.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

Politely, If it please you Kalaya, I could climb up and place the ring in the niche. Better that I be at risk for something untoward as we are here seeking out something of import to me moreso than you Liam, Jon, or Auric.


"Not to mention you're far more nimble if something comes out to bite you!" Jon smiles at Gendo's humble assertion.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Kalaya smiles, handing the ring to Gendo with a nod as she steps back to allow him room for his climb.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I hold the ring in my teeth as I climb the statue. Once I reach a high enough point, I place the ring into the niche, maneuvering it as needed for placement.

If possible, I'd like to take 10 on the climb check, it'd give me a 16. Also, here are some saves just in case:
Fortitude Save (if needed): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Reflex Save (if needed): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Will Save (if needed) normal/if enchantment effect: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11/1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Gendo finds that by perching on the edge of the basin, he can stretch up and place the ring into the left eye of the statue. There's a brief grinding noise as the section of wall sinks and then swings open, revealing a dark, open space beyond.

As the others move forward with their light sources, you can see a room, carved and even unlike the caverns behind you. It appears circular, or at least curved, as the walls stretch away and the far side is lost in darkness. Time and possibly great movements in the earth have cracked the ceiling here, and the echo of water drops and the trickle of rivulets down the walls. The room smells of damp and rot. There are mounds of some type of material along the walls, some sprouting mushrooms.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I jump down from my perch. I don't believe this to be the Sanctum, however I can't help but believe that it is related in some way. Please allow me to go first.

I wrap a cloth around my face to cover my mouth and nose, concerned that the odor of damp and rot will be too much for me. I then proceed into the room, being mindful to not touch the walls.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Entering the room, your light sources reveal it to be circular and perhaps eighty feet across. There are sagging and tumbled shelves, pigeonholed to hold scrolls or braced for books. Time and moisture have not been kind, what remains is a sodden, rotted mess. The piles nearer the entrance may have once been the same, but have suffered to the point of decaying into unrecognizable masses.

At the far end of the room, opposite the door, a large bulk sits in the shadows, looking like a large boulder resting against the far wall.


Jon will slowly make his way over to the huge boulder-thing, keeping his sickle out and lit up by his cantrip.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

As Jon's light washes over the large object, it is revealed to be a great stone carving of a humanoid head, standing half again as tall as a Jon, perhaps as wide as he is tall. The features are severe: deep-set eyes, a long, aquiline nose, and wide, thick lips, and a prominent, square jaw. No hair has been carved for either face or scalp. The eyes glitter in the light.

The floor here looks to have been cleared recently, and you can see carvings. There is a small circle, about three feet across, inscribed in the floor about six feet from the tip of the head's nose. Also there are concentric half-circles carved in the floor out to a radius of about fifteen feet from the head, starting and ending at the wall to either side of it.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric looks over the great head and the small circle in front of it, looking for some indication of a mechanism or similar clue as to its purpose.
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
"Maybe we should try standing on this circle? Or moving the head?"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Auric sees no sign of any mechanism, they simply seem to be carvings in the stone floor. Moving the head would be quite a feat, as its size would indicate that it weighs at least a couple of tons.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Anyone sense magic in here? Kinda baffled by this whole setup here..."
Auric looks at the head for any recognizable features or attributes.
Knowledge-Religion- 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Auric:
This could very well be an idol of Mimir, the god of knowledge, who is depicted as a disembodied head. The myths surrounding his decapitation are many. One says that in order to keep the secrets of fire and smithcraft to himself, Baal cut off Mimir's head and tossed it down the well behind his house, going out to speak secretly with him in the night in order to master the art of the forge. Others say he was born this way, merely a floating head that contained all that could be known.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"You know... Gendo... I think this may actually be the Sanctum. Or at least part of it."
He gestures with a hand at the head.
"This is Mimir- who is said to exist as a disembodied head, purportedly either born that way or, um, severed by Baal and maybe... thrown down a well so he could teach Baal the art of smithing..."
Auric clears his throat.
"Maybe, maybe this isn't all there is. Maybe there are further chambers down that other passage; maybe those have intact books or tablets or something."


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Kalaya begins a soft rhythmic chant, her eyes beginning to light up with a silvery glow as she looked at the statue seeking any magical energies.

Detect Magic

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Kalaya:
Round 1: Kalaya definitely detects the presence of magic.
Round 2: The magic is an almost palpable force, as an aura of overwhelming magic blazes out at her extended senses.
Round 3: Spellcraft check:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12 She can distinguish three overwhelming auras radiating from the stone head, intricately woven to the point where she is unable to distinguish their exact natures.


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

Kalaya almost staggers back, eyes squinting against a light none of the others can see, Whisperwing taking flight.

"There is incredibly powerful magic here....three auras of incredible power...I've never seen anything like it."


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3
Quote:

"You know... Gendo... I think this may actually be the Sanctum. Or at least part of it."

He gestures with a hand at the head.
"This is Mimir- who is said to exist as a disembodied head, purportedly either born that way or, um, severed by Baal and maybe... thrown down a well so he could teach Baal the art of smithing..."
Auric clears his throat.
"Maybe, maybe this isn't all there is. Maybe there are further chambers down that other passage; maybe those have intact books or tablets or something."

No need to feel awkward Auric. I am familiar with the taechings of Mimir from a Baal perspective. If one were to remove a head for knowledge of any sort it would be Mimir's. You could be correct in your surmise that this is the Sanctum. However that would then preclude the use of the key gifted to me by the Baron. I feel that there is more than just this room....

I move to catch Kalay as she staggers from some unseen force, looking about rapidly trying to discern what has affected her, until here words register.

Powerful magic? Is it harmful? From where does it originate?


Female Human Witch (Stars)/ 1st Tier Archmage

"It all stems from the head."


Jon listens to the the discussion. FInally, he walks over to the head and pushes on it, trying to find any soft spots.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

For the sake of providing perspective of the place, please enjoy some of your DM's amazing artwork showing the big stone head and the markings on the floor: here.

Jon walks over to the head and physically interacts with it, finding no give to the massive thing. He does note that the eyes appear to be made from an inlay of pretty blue stones.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Nothin' for it, I suppose....", Auric says before stepping into the circle in front of the head to see what happens.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

At this point, I'm looking at Auric in the circle and Jon the only other one in the semi-circle, as he was physically examining the statue.

Auric & Jon:
As Auric steps into the circle, the eyes of the head glow with an inner light. A great voice booms out from the head. "WHAT DO YOU SEEK FROM THE ARCHIVE?"

The rest of the group sees the eyes of the statue light up, and see a startled Jon leap back from the head. Auric stands firm in the circle, but he winces as if in pain and his hands raise to cover his ears, though there is no discernable sound.


Male Human (Tian stock) Monk 3

I arch my eyebrows in surprise at the sudden activation of the head. A small smile creeps onto to my face.

I move to stand next to Auric, without stepping into the circle.

Addressing the statue, We seek wisdom through knowledge, enlightenment beyond ignorance. Is this the Sanctum of Mimir?


Jon frowns at the loud voice. He looks around, shocked to see only Auric and himself seem to have heard it. He steps into the circle with Auric, and waits to see what Auric's answer is.

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

The circle is only three feet across, allowing only enough room for one person to stand in it comfortably. Auric and Jon would have to hug in a very unmanly manner to fit in it together.


Jon, not wishing to unman Auric, stays outside the circle and watches Auric for his response.


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

Auric winces, then shouts back at the head.
"IS THIS THE SANCTUM OF MIMIR?"

Qadira

Male Human(ish) Level 3 RPG Monkey

Auric, Jon & Gendo:
"YES. WELL, IT USED TO BE. APPARENTLY IT HAS BEEN ABANDONED FOR SOME TIME. BUT I AM THE GRAND ARCHIVE AND HOLD ALL KNOWLEDGE THAT ONCE GRACED THE SHELVES OF THIS PLACE. ...AND YOU NEED NOT SHOUT. THE ARCHIVE HEARS ALL THAT STAND WITHIN THE ZONE OF PRIVACY."


Jon winces at the voice. "Can it hear me say please quiet your voice? You're giving me a headache."


Male Half-elf Paladin 4/Champion Tier 1

"Okay, I'm gonna hand you off to my friend here- people still follow Mimir and he's one of them, so he's got more relevant questions than I do, I'm sure."
Auric steps out of the small circle and lets Gendo take his place. He looks even more bewildered than before.

1,551 to 1,600 of 1,903 << first < prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadowborn's Wounded Earth (Blue Group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.